Alien Breed 2: Assault PC

5.8

1. Apr 2, 2013
    After enjoying the first game, I went straight to the second. Although the games are quite simplistic and have a basic formula, they are fun. You walk through eerie dark corridors most of the time and shoot alien bugs. I was, however, sort of disappointed by the fact that this second instalment didn’t really introduce anything new to the series and is more like Alien Breed 1.5 than AlienAfter enjoying the first game, I went straight to the second. Although the games are quite simplistic and have a basic formula, they are fun. You walk through eerie dark corridors most of the time and shoot alien bugs. I was, however, sort of disappointed by the fact that this second instalment didn’t really introduce anything new to the series and is more like Alien Breed 1.5 than Alien Breed 2.

The environments are exactly the same as in the first game. I was hoping there’d be something different in that regard. Maybe an outside level for once? Or at least some noticeably different textures to the ones we’ve seen the entire time. And just as in the first game, the entire story revolves around simply going from one sector of the ship to another and activating various systems. I know it’s not the focus of the game, but still, a little more variation would’ve been nice. Plus also they overdid it on those alien eggs. I got sick of shooting them partway into the game. And way too many human corpses to loot too, which all require you to hold space and waste time rather than playing the game.

We still have 5 weapons, just as in the first game, except two of those are different. The first three (Assault rifle, Shot cannon, and Flamethrower) are still there, but the Laser Rifle and Ion Spike have been replaced with a Hyper Blaster (a heavy minigun-like weapon) and a Rocket Launcher. Not sure what to make of this change as I think the older weapons were better. Hyper Blaster is all right as it’s good for huge swarms of enemies, but Rocket Launcher is practically useless most of the time as most enemies are fast and always in your face, so using an explosive weapon is a bad idea (not to mention its ammo is extremely scarce). Once again, as in the first game, we can choose to upgrade the weapons, but the upgrades are still the same ones (rate of fire, reload speed, and damage boost) and the effects of most of them are hardly noticeable.

Perhaps the most annoying thing about this sequel though is the fact that in some areas the game takes a fixed camera angle and won’t let you rotate it, making it very hard to aim at the enemies, or to even see them on some occasions. I would understand that if the whole game was using fixed camera, but for a game that allows you to rotate your camera most of the time and then to take that choice away from you in some parts is just a pure design mistake.

I know I went heavy on criticisms here, but this sequel still delivers a good amount of tension as the first game does, and at times you get really swarmed with enemies. It also does have some minor improvements over the first. They actually have some small cutscenes now, allowing us to see our character up close. These mostly occur during boss fights, which I should say have been done quite well this time round. I personally quite enjoyed the Arachnomorph fight on the monorail.

Overall this game is pretty much the same as the first, except with a few little annoyances like those sudden changes in camera angles, and also it’s slightly shorter, so my overall score will have to be a bit lower than the first.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    While not an overly satisfying title, Alien Breed does provide a nice change of pace from other shooter games. While the core gameplay is relatively solid the game becomes quite repetitive with only 5 weapons (2 which you find halfway through the game), and enemies which although different are still dispatched using the exact same methods as any other. After playing the game for a whileWhile not an overly satisfying title, Alien Breed does provide a nice change of pace from other shooter games. While the core gameplay is relatively solid the game becomes quite repetitive with only 5 weapons (2 which you find halfway through the game), and enemies which although different are still dispatched using the exact same methods as any other. After playing the game for a while the fights start to become predictable. The story never really does anything to drag the player into it although the comics in between chapters were a nice touch. The upgrade system was a nice addition which allowed some variety to how you could play the game. Overall not a bad game for the price, plenty of stuff to kill but try to pace yourself so it doesn't get repetitive. Expand
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    Steam Summer Sale Free Prize! Coop! Achievements! First time I played it I didn't give it an honest chance. After giving it another go, I've changed my tune. It's not fantastic, but it is above average for a title in this genre, especially using a game controller. I'd go so far as to say it's not worth a look using a keyboard and mouse.
  4. Jan 25, 2012
    Total single player completion time: around 5 hours. This top-down shooter that was surprisingly enjoyable although quite frustrating in certain areas. This is due to some awkward camera controls (using mouse and keyboard) and random difficulty spikes. The storyline was pointless but the gameplay, while repetitive, didn't get old. The shooting mechanics were fun and satisfying as aliensTotal single player completion time: around 5 hours. This top-down shooter that was surprisingly enjoyable although quite frustrating in certain areas. This is due to some awkward camera controls (using mouse and keyboard) and random difficulty spikes. The storyline was pointless but the gameplay, while repetitive, didn't get old. The shooting mechanics were fun and satisfying as aliens shrieked when they died. TAKE THAT! But what the hell is up with the useless melee attack? item management was necessary and there were weapon upgrades (although I only managed to unlock about 5 of them because I never had enough money). Expand
  5. Apr 21, 2012
    Alone or coop, in a infested spaceship, fight your way to the end of the game killing everything that will stop you, a big bestiary awaits you there.
  6. ave
    Jun 22, 2015
    After playing Alien Breed 2: Assault, I must recognize that there are many improvements : the story has more depth, the level layout and the pacing are better.

But the camera still rotates by 45° increments, and since the aiming is relative to your orientation, each time you rotate the camera, your aiming rotates ; and not in a discrete way. This completely ruins the potential flow of the game.
  7. Oct 13, 2013
    Not bad... Has the spirit of the originals with a nice new visual upgrade. Is it great? No. But it is completely playable. If you ignore the cheesy characterization (which I think you're supposed to) you get a very pretty very old school shooter with a few new school bells and whistles.
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    This is a top down shooter that makes a solid first impression, but after a few minutes of playing you will discover that the execution of many essential elements is not very good. The gameplay gets repetitive rather quickly, as you frequently just walk from A to B, holding space bar down to interact with switches. The gun sounds and sound effects are also rather bland. The environmentsThis is a top down shooter that makes a solid first impression, but after a few minutes of playing you will discover that the execution of many essential elements is not very good. The gameplay gets repetitive rather quickly, as you frequently just walk from A to B, holding space bar down to interact with switches. The gun sounds and sound effects are also rather bland. The environments are also very dark, with little variety, although the actual graphics aren't too bad. You will also battle with the camera, as it sometimes switches to bizarre angles, obstructing your view to certain areas, such as the other side of a wall. There is also a load of on-screen text, so you know right off the bat which objects are interactive, and although some people may like this, I think it does take away discovery aspects of the game. Get this if you must, but there are far better top down shooters out there. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Another Alien Breed remake results in another failure. What was great back in the Amiga-times is missing and a remake is just a boring and repetitious shooter with a small variety of enemies in uniform environments. [Issue#197]
  2. Dec 21, 2010
    Alien Breed 2: Assault stays very close to the roots of the genre, which gives it a touch of old-school charm, but it feels archaic next to newer offerings like Alien Swarm and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
  3. PC Gamer
    Dec 13, 2010
    Adrenaline-fueled crescendos and bosses toss in some welcome fun to the experience, but not nearly enough. [Jan 2011, p.77]