6.5

1. Nov 16, 2010
    Alien Breed is a nice looking top-down shooter. It's a really good old-school game, it wouldn't bother you with long briefings or lots of text, everything you need to do is just shoot in well designed monsters, open doors and sometimes try to found special keys or any other ways how to get to the next point. Several times Team 17 offers player different game-play thing like to run from a giant alien or to kill a boss. You will go throw different kinds of levels, and will be a little disappointed in the end. Good entertainment for a couple of evenings. Expand
  2. Aug 19, 2010
    This is an overhead, 3rd person shooter, much like Alien Swarm. You spend a lot of time running from Point A to Point B and back again, meanwhile killing aliens and picking up ammo, credits (currency), logs, and searching dead bodies for useful stuff. The upgrades are nowhere near op, the graphics are meh, the plot is kind of awkward, and default moving speed is "walk" (you have to hold a button down constantly to run and not all places will allow you to run).

Despite that, they do throw in different timed missions and a couple of small puzzles to keep it interesting. Elite mode is pretty easy, so easy mode would probably be perfect for a kid. An excellent time-suck kind of game. I paid about $5 for it during a steam sale, so for the price, it's better than most.
  3. May 4, 2012
    I do not know how anyone could rate this game a zero, that is complete rubbish! this game is awesome fun.. yes it has similarities to other games in the same genre hence a genre that is what a genre is folks. ya so, it also has differences. graphics meh? haha did you like alien shooter graphics better because these gfx are sweet i dont know of many games with better graphics especially in this genre.. this will stay in my top favs of one of my fav genre.. shame on you zero reviewers tisk tisk to shame!=P Expand
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    Right off the bat Alien Breed: Impact feels like a game that's only half-finished. A month or two more could taken this game from being very mediocre to very good.

The graphics are generally pretty and detailed in a grey and blue sort of way. The first three stages are extremely repetitive whilst the last two, the hydroponics level and the ghost ship do mix it up a bit.

The sound
    is all over, there are really chilling alien noises mixed with the silly pew-pew of the laser gun. The voice acting is generally good but only in the cut-scenes.

The point where Alien Breed really falls down is it's game-play. You'll probably find fighting the camera and map far more challenging than fighting the aliens. If the character was moved slightly further up the map and zoomed out a bit more a lot of problems would be solved. Redesigning the stages so a non-rotational camera could have been used would have been a huge plus. Shooting aliens at the bottom of the screen and trying to find items and doors hidden behind walls is... annoying.

The map will show you your objective in the HUD but no ship layout. To see the ship layout you need to use your tablet but then the objective is only shown if it fits on the immediately visible piece of map. This isn't helped by the controls opening the map with one key and closing it with another. Did I mention annoying. Yeah am sure I did.

The initial stages, despite having repetitive graphics will then also see you running from one end of the ship to the other making for even more repetitive play. This artificially lengthens the stages as the game designers contrive sillier and sillier reasons to need to run back through areas you've already been through. This wouldn't be so bad if you were constantly under attack but they are mostly long walks with nothing happening you can only run for a limited period of time.

Things get somewhat better later on. The aliens start swarming from all corners making for a lot more action. The stages are still back-and-forth but at least there's stuff to do.

And now I come to the aliens my next big gripe. There are about 4 or 5 types of alien but they're practically indistinguishable. I think they're all supposed to have special abilities and that would have been awesome if they used them and forced tactical play. But they don't, they run straight lines towards the player and as they don't collide with each other usually form an easy to shoot pile.

There's little satisfaction in shooting them as they don't throw out gouts of green alien blood, only the odd particle. They get knocked around easily by even weak weapons and this before dying with barely a whimper and a quick death animation.

This sounds really negative and it is until later on when for instance wading through dozens of aliens in Hydroponics is a complete blast. Then you don't notice the silly bullets, lack of blood or mind the quick deaths.

Moving on: the last issue I have is with the story. The main character is the chief engineer of the space ship The Leopold. The Chief Engineer. But he has no security rights and no understanding of engineering consoles he breaks just about every one he touches. Using a generic space marine character would have made more sense. Like the Doom Guy.

Also the Leopold has crashed into a giant derelict ship of unknown origin. Except the name of the ship is written on the side. In English. And it's an Intex ship just like the Leopold. Surely someone would have kept a record of it somewhere.

I'm going to stop complaining now and recommended Alien Breed. It may not be great but it is worth a couple of your dollars and few of your hours. For all I've said I did enjoy it but suspect I should have cranked up the difficulty.
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    Alien Breed is a rather simple but fun isometric view shooter. The game is set aboard a spaceship and the single player campaign lasts around 8-9 hours. Although the game mainly involves walking through dark corridors and shooting at giant alien bugs, it manages to maintain a good sense of atmosphere and delivers well on the fun aspect. The player gets to use 5 different weapons, several items, and faces a healthy variety of enemies, which does well at minimizing what could potentially have been a repetitive game. The situations vary greatly. At times you might face one or two bugs at a time, and then at other times a whole wave would just burst out from all around you and force you to battle for your own survival. The fact that enemies could come from anywhere doorways, vents, floor creates a sense of tension and keeps the player ready for anything. Although it seems like the game is building towards some kind of plot, usually in the comic-book-style cutscenes, most of the things you do don’t seem to have much relevance. For most of the time when outside battles you just go around the huge ship and activate various computer systems in order to gain access to the next area. It could feel repetitive at times, but the main focus of the game is mostly on tension and battles with the aliens, so I suppose it’s not much of an issue really. There is also a chance to upgrade your weapons so to give yourself a bit of an edge in combat. Each weapon has 3 different upgrade options: rate of fire, reload time, and damage per shot. Now the interesting thing is that you can only ever have 1 upgrade active at a time, so the player will have to do some decision making and choose an upgrade that they feel is most suitable for each gun. This also opens a slight possibility for replay value. Without giving spoilers, I also want to mention that I was a bit disappointed with the final boss of the game. Its attacks kept repeating themselves over and over in a very repetitive pattern, and also for some strange reason at times when the boss is supposed to go under the floor it kept getting stuck upside down. However, this is only a mere 10-15 minutes of an otherwise very engaging and well-polished game. It’s quite simple at its core, but the quality of the presentation that it delivers is very respectable. Now after having completed the game, there are two more parts that await me and it seems the plot is still building towards something. This is not really a stand alone game, but more like a chapter of a book or an episode of a TV show. So I am quite eager to try out second and third instalments in the series and see where this goes. Lastly to mention, the game also offers a co-op mode, but I am yet to try that out. Expand
  6. Dec 22, 2011
    Alien Breed: Impact is a horrible rip-off from similar games. It is highly predictable, has a weird (and bad) camera- and control scheme and insists on constantly delivering the players headaches and seizures by translating every explosion in the game to a shaking camera. The aliens and environments are boring, drab and the shooting isn't particularly engaging. Like reviewer pfftwhatev mentioned, at some stage the game insists on turning your camera in a direction that makes it very hard to defeat the end-boss. Well, I assume you have to defeat him: I kept dying and ditched the game aside here as well. I also tried co-operative mode with a friend and we were wholly unimpressed. The frustrating controls, repetitive and predictable shootfests couldn't hold my fancy even though I'm usually quite font of these top-down shooters. That being said; Try out Alien Swarm or buy Shadowgrounds instead if you feel a need to kill aliens from a top-down perspective. Expand
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    Lame horrible filth! I hate having this game on my list of steam games. It makes me feel like a douchbag just for buying it. I only got it since the old amiga version was so cool back in the day but to make exactly the same game today is just pathetic. What a sad little game!!!
  8. Nov 14, 2011
    I stopped playing towards the end of the second chapter because they insist on changing the controls and locking the camera angle during 'Flee from the Charger' making it impossible to complete. I don't understand they would do that. They effectively reverse the controls after getting you used to the controls during the first few hours of game play. Unfortunate because the game had the promise of at least a 5/10. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    As many of you knows, cooperative mode can make a great improvement in gameplay even when the whole game is really boring or dumb. The main reason of why this is happening is that we still better spend our time with other people. Therefore MMO's and offline titles with co-op mode are so popular today.

The first thing that you mark in "Alien Breed" is that it looks very familiar, when
    you are an experienced player in this sort of games. The scenes are really like "Shadowgrounds" with pipes, burning things here and there, electronic double doors and computers everywhere. The main difference is that the story of "Alien Breed" takes place on a spaceship, that had impacted into another ship and... different monsters begin to appear everywhere, killing everyone on their way. The plot's only purpose is to explain the appearance of new markers on the minimap. "AB" could be one game for ten bucks, but is separated into 3 episodes, each with its little part of story, and this is not so bad, because you don't need to pay the full price to understand the amount of your wish to play it (There is demo too). The first episode name is "Impact".

Gameplay is something between "Shadowgrounds" and "Space Siege". We explore the interiors of the full-of-dead-people ship with almost no hope to find someone alive, sometimes floor and walls crashing and scary beings start to attack from one or all directions simultaneously, then we grab some loot from lockers or "human corpses" and continue our journey. All the time we move from battle to battle, trying to hear enemies. In "Dead Space" sound was the main key to divine a fight, here it just sounds, someone always sniffs and "coughs" somewhere. The most interesting thing in this mess is that we must pay to gain ammo and upgrades from "Intex terminals". Yeah, savior of the world "has not enough money to buy a potion". What a delusion. But there is something in this end of the spaceship days. Enemies are tough, ammo ends very quickly, we saw this in "Shadowgrounds" once, and that was good, but again with the same monsters with just one upgrade per gun and absolutely same grey locations, this will kill even the biggest fan of isometric shoot-em-all horror games. Sometimes the game shows the power of "Unreal Engine 3", painting great effects of electricity or a new style of environment like chambers with dark-green plants and alien cocoons in hydroponics, and sometimes it seems that a new part of the ship is “a breath of fresh air”. But there is almost no fun in killing brownish-gray aliens in brownish-gray environment.

When solo campaign is boring and monotonous, co-op is... even worst. There are no boss-fights except big hordes of enemies, the final trial in each mission is to defend yourself against a horde of monsters for 30 seconds and then fast jump into the elevator. The only thing that can fix this and prevent yawning is your friend on the other side of the global network. I've played many co-op games and surely can tell, that there are no reasons to play "AB" together. You can't interact with each other, can't exchange weapons and items, you can't even help your partner when he is down he will stand up automatically. The two heroes are even nameless. The one thing that you can do is to try to cover your friend's back, shoot monsters on his 6 and survive while he raises up after being down. Nothing more.

"Alien Breed" brings nothing new in genre, trying to scare you, but it's not scary, except the moments, where enemies start to rise from the floor under your character. I'm sorry, i don't like to bind labels, because every game has it's fans and creating of any game is not so easy, but this game is boring, and there is no reason to play it more than once, even once.

Original: http://morgen-s.blogspot.ru/2012/01/alien-breed-impact-review-in-english.html
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    First, a caveat: I am reviewing only the solo aspect of the game. I have not tried it in coop mode. I hesitated to get this game because of the lukewarm reviews, but when it went on sale, I figured I would give it a chance. This is a fun little game. Yes, it's just one in a big herd of similar top-down alien/zombie shooters, but it holds its own against the rest. It isn't as fast paced as some, but it does a good job of setting a suspenseful mood. I'm eager to try AB 2 and 3 just based on what I've played so far of 1. One of the nice features, that sadly not all top-down shooters have, is the ability to rotate your point of view. This is a personal preference and many will probably disagree, but I don't particularly like the Q and E keys to rotate the perspective, just as I don't like using the mouse wheel to change weapons, so I swapped them. Rotating with the mouse wheel is both a lot faster and it feels more natural and intuitive. After a few minutes, it feels as if you're just turning your head to look around. I did the same thing for Trapped Dead and it improved the gaming experience immensely. Another thing that some will love, but others will hate, is that you're "closer" to the character than in most other isometric shooters. It feels a bit more immersive, but it's also a bit more claustrophobic, which might be intentional to enhance the horror/suspense. Still, I prefer Trapped Dead's approach of letting the player zoom in and out to whatever level feels most comfortable. It's almost impossible not to compare Alien Breed to Alien Swarm, given that they have almost identical themes. Despite being free, Alien Swarm is slicker in look and in the feel of the controls (though I miss being able to rotate my view), but I can't really say that one overwhelmingly outclasses the other in enjoyability. My suggestion is: if you like the genre, get both (and probably AB 2 & 3 also). With one being free and the other(s) at a paltry $2.50 on sale, why deprive yourself of a few hours of fun? You'll spend more just on pop corn at a bad movie. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    Ton of old school fun with nice new school visuals. Of course the original Alien Breed was essentially a "clone" of the arcade game Alien Syndrome. This is much more than that. The level design is much better than alien breed 2, there seems to be less of the constant runaround there was in the original, even if you are still basically running about flicking switches. If you like top down shooters then of course, get it. If not then well... this isn't for you. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2014
    Back in the day AB was a great 2D arcade shooter. This new reboot looks nice and has a plot of sorts to follow all through the three episodes. However I rather replay any Shadowgrounds game than any of the three episodes from Alien Breed.
  13. Feb 21, 2013
    Maybe the reason is that I played "Alien Breed" trilogy after I put my hands on "Alien Swarm", or maybe it is the game itself, but it is difficult to say something positive about this game.
    Lack of good story, boring gameplay, way too difficult unbalanced co-op. Ok, I do believe, that the game had some potential but it was wasted.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    Too bad the potential to do better when there is not a game, but did not. Team 17 to expect a better construction. Although the back of the engine such as Unreal Engine camera system with bad graphics and pointless, but still plays herself for a while.
  15. Dec 16, 2013
    This is a sad attempt to catch the glory of the original Amiga hit. The Graphics and effects are quite nice, but the gameplay is quite horrible as it's real annoying to battle both the Aliens and the stupid camera. I can't really understand the justification for using such a jumpy camera. It is not rocket science to figure out a stable camera for an Arcade game. They knew they messed up the camera and introduced some auto aim to compensate for it, but auto aim for Alien Breed just defeats the purpose of the game.
    I still give some points for the art work.
  16. Feb 14, 2014
    2-person co-op is where this game shines, and feels totally different than the single-player mode most reviews rate poorly. For instance, in co-op it is a progressive route, not running pointlessly back and forth as required in single user.
  17. Sep 15, 2013

The sound

1. Irritating level design and a poor story are somewhat redeemed by explosive action and a challenging co-op mode. [Sept 2010, p.82]
  2. But repetitious single-player, frustrating co-op and a laughable narrative reduce it to a mess that's fun only as long as it takes you to realize nothing interesting is ever going to happen. [Oct 2010, p.81]
  3. The brisk single-player campaign is reason enough to overlook the boring cooperative multiplayer. Unfortunately, the lack of blood, same-looking environments, and cheap-looking comic strips let it down.