Aliens: Colonial Marines PC

3.5

1. Jun 22, 2016
    This game really isn't as bad as it was made out to be, though I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people. Granted, I hear it's had about ten gigs worth of patches since it released, and it looked and ran fine for me, so complaints of "hurr durr it looks like an original Xbox game" are no longer valid (the "infinite relaunch" bug aside) I can't speak for the differences between the E3This game really isn't as bad as it was made out to be, though I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people. Granted, I hear it's had about ten gigs worth of patches since it released, and it looked and ran fine for me, so complaints of "hurr durr it looks like an original Xbox game" are no longer valid (the "infinite relaunch" bug aside) I can't speak for the differences between the E3 demo and the game, either, there's obviously no excuse for outright lying to consumers and to Sega regarding who was getting paid for what, but I won't go further into that here. Suffice to say I don't like Gearbox as much as I like "their" games.

My experience with ACM is that its very similar to another maligned Gearbox title, Duke Nukem Forever, in that it was delayed for a considerable amount of time, could not possibly live up to the hype, and when it finally released, it was judged to be largely out of date. The third is partly true, in that it plays much like a 2000s-era shooter: You have sectional health that only regenerates the current segment, there are armor pickups, and you can carry every gun in the game: though you can only equip two long guns, a pistol and one grenade type at given time, and must use a radial menu to switch your equipped weapons.

Some other complaints about the game are valid: It suffers from some weak writing in parts, the AI on the whole is pretty damn stupid, and the combat has almost no variety: You're either fighting the xenomorphs or Weyland-Yutani mercs (or both at once) and both have limited attacks and tactics. It does get a bit stale. Also, Michael Beihn's reprisal of Hicks sounded pretty phoned in, though that could just have been his age. There's also a persistent problem with your AI teammates. While they can't die no matter how many times their dumb asses get shot, their bullets seem to do little to no damage to enemies, as if they were just background decoration and you are expected to shoot every ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ thing. The fact that the pause menu tracks your kills and assists attests to this. I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-90 kills per level and assists in the single digits. Even the HALO marines could ♥♥♥♥ing kill a few Covenant before they were overwhelmed.

However, what redeemed the game for me was the commnitment to recreating the look and feel of Aliens. According to the few positive reviews I read, ACM should only be played if you are a serious Aliens fan, and in that respect, I was not disappointed. The music is spot on, as is the environment designs, considering they hired the concept artist from the film to help design the levels. The weapons look and sound accurate, most notably the "xerox machine" sound that the pulse rifles make. Also, the fact that they bothered to get Beihn, along with Lance Henriksen, really helped the immersion, though I continue to disapprove of the use of celebrity voice actors. Perhaps if they hadn't gotten said actors, more money could have gone into the development of the game, the same way CoD could be, y'know, good, if they didn't have Gary Oldman and Ed Harris and ♥♥♥♥ing Ice Cube and ♥♥♥♥.

Suffice it to say, if i had payed more then $3.74 for this game, I might have been a bit ♥♥♥♥♥♥ off. But I knew what I was getting into and I stayed away from this game for a long time, until it was offered for a more appropriate price. If you like Aliens or singleplayer FPSs as much as I do, you could do much worse then ACM, as long as games like Chaser or Pariah exist. However, you might be better off checking out the 2011 game Aliens: Infestation on the DS, which is ultimately a superior title to this one.
  2. Mar 12, 2016
    I first believed all the haters and left the game behind. But after watching Prometheus on TV I felt ready to play A:CM and it was a good decision.

This Game is for all the people who were scared to much by Alien: Isolation. If you want revenge for all the scares in A:I this game is what you need. It's a straight forward Wey-Yu PMC and Alien slasher with good but not great graphics. The Complete Edition is fully patched and I never encountered any bugs or glitches. There are many references to the movies, fan service is guaranteed.

As any good but not great game I rate it 7/10.
  3. Nov 7, 2015
    This game has lots of missed opportunities. Graphics are low (e.g. static lightning); shooting isn't great (the pulse weapon is seriously underpowered against enemy soldiers; you can't hold the machine gun steady and it can do only fire bursts of 3 bullets); the story is pretty much absent and the Aliens atmosphere isn't there. How could Gearbox fail so miserably? Only pick it up if theThis game has lots of missed opportunities. Graphics are low (e.g. static lightning); shooting isn't great (the pulse weapon is seriously underpowered against enemy soldiers; you can't hold the machine gun steady and it can do only fire bursts of 3 bullets); the story is pretty much absent and the Aliens atmosphere isn't there. How could Gearbox fail so miserably? Only pick it up if the game is on sale below 5 euro and even then you do them a favor. The user average sore of 3.4 is too low. It is a mediocre game but certainly not the worst one out there. Expand
  4. Jan 3, 2015
    Decent. But not great. I can see why people are really upset with this game. It seems like a real waste of money for people who pre ordered it and got it day one. However, I don't think this is a bad game. It's a rushed and buggy game, but no I don't believe it's "bad". It's kinda like a fun little arcade shooter you can laugh at with your buddy's on a Saturday night after downing a coupleDecent. But not great. I can see why people are really upset with this game. It seems like a real waste of money for people who pre ordered it and got it day one. However, I don't think this is a bad game. It's a rushed and buggy game, but no I don't believe it's "bad". It's kinda like a fun little arcade shooter you can laugh at with your buddy's on a Saturday night after downing a couple of beers. I'll be honest I had a hell of a lot of fun playing this split screen with a couple of my friends one weekend. Gunplay is meh. Can be a little off at times. But one thing that stands out as horrendously bad is the power loader fight sequence and the constant screen tearing is absolutely god awful on the console version. I feel bad for people who got this for 60$ but I got it for 15$ and I think my money was well spent. If your a hard core aliens fan or just someone who wants to screw around with a cheap shooter that has fun multiplayer modes, get this. However I must say the dialogue and character models look and sound like poo poo. But damn the soundtrack is awesome. Not bad def recommend it. Expand
  5. Sep 30, 2014
    This game gets way to much crap than it deserves because I enjoyed playing the game. But... The A.I. was god awful, the characters weren't that likeable, and the level design was repetetive and dull. But the game had some good qualities like amazing backgrounds, cool scenery, and pretty decent graphics and cool guns. I would give it a 5/10 (average/mediocre).
  6. Jun 20, 2014
    Playing this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not allPlaying this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not all that bad. It's not a AAA game, but it's far from being a BAD game - matter of fact, Gearbox did a pretty good job given the short time frame they had to fix it up. The controls are solid, the gameplay's relatively entertaining, the only thing that irritated me was a glitch that caused the game to relaunch every time I wanted to quit it. In all honesty, if it weren't for the hype, I reckon reviews for this game would've been mixed to positive. It isn't a bad game. It may not be the best, but it isn't bad by a long shot. If you've never played it, but heard of its infamy, maybe you should give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  7. Jun 11, 2014
    First of all, this game does not look nearly like the trailers for it.It is a scam and I hate it that we have to be a part of this, going for preorders as soon as we see another scam trailer. The devs deserve every low opinion of them as they cheated the public. As for everything else a game is, they pretty much failed at it.

SOUND Two or three tracks play through the whole thing.

SOUND
    Two or three tracks play through the whole thing. Boring, uninspiring. It totally took me out of the experience. As if this wasn`t bad enough, the shooting, explosions sounds are very weak. The dialogues are ok at best.

GAMEPLAY
    Let me tell you, the worst thing I can compare to this is FEAR3. The guns are awful as they handle in a very arcadish way. No matter what gun you choose, the aim is all over the place. Guns like the smartgun or shotgun you`d think are powerful tend to waste a lot of ammo since they take at least a few hits to score a Xeno/human kill. The melee mechanics are very stale and unforgiving, unintuitive. You won`t be using them too much. The Colonial Marines obviously didn`t come up with an idea to use a knife or a blowtorch as weapons. Moreover, the player cannot sprint more than 20 meters of length until he`s half-dead because of poor stamina. The armor/health bars are a joke, because there is no difference if you get hit in the head or legs, it is always the same. The thing I liked is the motion sensor mechanics where you have to hit a key to bring it up but you can`t use a weapon at the same time.

AI
    Very poor. The Xenos charge you frontside, they do not use their strenght or tail. The humans always do the same - they spawn up in a map spot, go to a cover and shoot from there, end of story.
    Teammate AI can`t kill a thing, often blocks the only way forward. When travelling through the map they rush on ahead bypassing any enemies, leaving you alone to battle swarms. Other times they get caught up in a spot on the map so you have to wait fro them to spawn in another section.

GRAPHICS
    What to say. Well, the year 2007 seems suitable for the graphics quality here. The textures are merely ok, the lightning is awful. The actor models are average at best. In some places there are signs of definite resource saving since this is first and foremost a 360 game. So in some places the game looks very poor. The killed enemies vaporize 10 seconds after being put down.

STORY
    Normal story executed in a poor way. Half the time you battle humans only. Most of the time you`re running around opening door, hacking systems. Very monotone until you get to next section as the main story is short. The bossfights due to poor AI are weak, not scary in any way. Each and every cutscene is a disgrace to the Alien/Aliens franchise.

MULTIPLAYER
    The number of gamemodes and modifications is ok. If you can get people to play this thing against each other than the experience gains some quality. Nonetheless it gets repetitive and after some hours in it I got bored.

Overall feels like an unpolished and rushed 3rd rate production of some low budget game studios.
    Not recommended.
  8. May 19, 2014
    Average as anything but nowhere near as bad as its cracked up to be. I was expecting a broken mess. While it's far from great it's not that. It pales in comparison to Aliens, but that it a nigh perfect film. It is a perfectly competent shooter though. Linear, boggo graphics and some fairly crappy voice acting. It's a bit like Call of Duty in space then.
  9. Apr 13, 2014
    I really don't know why everyone is **** about this game. This game is pretty decent, sure it's just another COD clone but it's not a **** one. I didn't play the other aliens so I am not an angry fanboy. the shooting works alright and the graphics are not bad but the story is boring as hell. This game is not good and not bad, its not special.
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    i'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had toi'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had to use your motion tracker. but since this game bombed in reviews, it takes like 30 min. to find a game because nobody plays it anymore Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fair to middlin' time for a bug hunt. Voice acting was abysmal, and the story had potential that it never reached. Only the Prometheus easter egg really lent any interest. Patches released post-release fixed the game and took it from a complete failure to a crippled mess. Whilst shooting and running from Aliens is a blast, its sad that the toy that came with the game as garnish is better than the game itself (if you pre-ordered the collector's edition). Expand
  12. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  13. Feb 11, 2014
    To me this game is average. The graphics sure are awesome, but the gameplay and the entire horor feel were not there. was it fun? yes at some points. but for the most part its call of duty but with aliens.
  14. Jan 15, 2014
    This game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in aThis game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in a survival horror. But I liked it. It's like Duke Nukem, everyone wanted something badass...they gave us something badass and trashy as DUKE NUKEM is, it's just the taste of gamers that have changed. As they did with this title.

Multiplayer IMHO is to dump, just remain on the single player campaign and enjoy it.

This doesn't mean that if they did what they promised the game would have been SO MUCH BETTER.
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a last generation game that tries to use basic tools to create an experience worthy of the alien franchise. Game technology has moved on, so it falls short of expectations. However, it makes what I feel to be a very strong attempt at putting the gamer in the position of a marine living the Alien storyline.

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments of the alien story, although no new ones. Close knit corridors, spacecraft and rocky planet surfaces. The enemies you face are varied both in type and species, meaning that combat is mixed up nicely. You also progress with a set of likeable comrades, which prevents the game becoming 'lonely'.

However, as a game coming out close to 'crysis'. It really doesn't match up. The graphics are average and the AI is pretty weak, especially for allies that occasionally get lost.

I enjoyed this game, but it suffers from a poor technological footing and the resulting failure to meet expectations.
  16. Nov 11, 2013
    There is a lot of hype against this game and I totally understand it people were promised a lot for their money and it was not delivered. But is A:CM really that bad?

I play games since c64, my favorite genre is FPS. I think I played like 80% of FPS games out there. I am also big fan of Aliens and generally sci-fi stuff. I played the latest, patched version. I have to agree that

I have to agree that game graphics is not as good as other latest AAA games. But I cannot say visuals are bad. A little bit outdated yes. Bad? Not at all. I would say graphic is good enough to have this special atmosphere of Aliens move together with sound it made me jump few times. I dont agree that pre scripted aliens are not scary and behave weird they do what they are supposed to do: they crawl the ceilings and walls and they quickly advance at the player (often by jumping) this is what xenomorphs do.
    On hardened difficulty setting you can get killed easily it is not that easy to kill xeno on the wall.

NPC AI is ok, not as good as in CoD or BF but acceptable they shoot things and can draw enemy attention to themselves. but I wouldnt count on them to do your job in the heat of the battle. another thing is that xenos will attack YOU if your soldiers are already attacked by their comrades. In game you will meet enemy human soldiers as well. They are not too hard to kill and act OK. Nothing special but not bad at all.

I wouldnt spend £30 to buy this game, but I got it on Steam offer for £3. At this price it is really good game and all you Aliens fans will love it
  17. Nov 7, 2013
    So you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuationSo you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuation however sloppy to "Aliens." The story to "Aliens: Colonial Marines" basically details a war between the United States Colonial Marines and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation's private army of heavily armed hired mercenaries, who are illegally breeding the hideous Xenomorph creatures using captured Marines and innocent space colonists as hosts.

It all sounds exciting, doesn't it? But it does have many issues...
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    The sound is great, the graphics are average and the gameplay feels like a bad call of duty, but I still enjoyed this game, it has things to be enjoyed and things that just suck, If you don't care about the bad campaign just go onto multiplayer and have fun, after 6 years this is what we get? it's disappointing at some point, still likeable though.
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    Well, since there are lots of negative reviews already I have to add some positive things that I noticed.
    During presentations I wasn't stunned by the level of graphics, so I didn't expect much. The visual part will not make a gamer happy who has spent time playing Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2. But yet it gave enough detalisation so you could imagine yourself being away on a deserted planet. Face animations have no 'life', still I don't think it's a big problem.
    Sound effects is important part for a game in a universe of Aliens. It seems that music and sound is not what is usually discussed in reviews, but when these elements are done badly you can't miss such flaws. Using rifles made me want to skip all shooting sections. It is sound that ruined 'feeling' of a weapon. Too bad, because the design of weapons was not that bad.
    The design of levels is poor, 4 gamers on a level would feel lack of space. Despite the fact that it usually took me around 20-30 minutes to complete a level, everything that you keep in mind after completing one was running, shooting, running, loading.
    There was only one time when I was in a team of 4 players. Thing is that I started playing two weeks after the game's release date. By that time everyone stopped playing the game. Absence of server browser made me watch searching for other players for tenth of minutes before I had to go into singleplayer journey.
    The worst thing that made me angry was the storyline. Idea of connecting characters from original 'Aliens' movie with the ones in the game was horrible and had no logic.
    But I have to say that the competitive multiplayer was good. Maps and different classes is the strongest part of the game. It is far away from the gameplay that we have in 'Left 4 Dead', but it is worth playing.
    I'm sorry for those who bought season's pass in advance for the game that disapoints starting from the menu. Finally I have to say, that expectations for the game were too high and I'm 100% sure that the year's biggest fail has already arrived.
  20. Jun 3, 2013
    Overall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding andOverall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding and the balance is very good too. And the maps are very well designed too. Expand
  21. May 4, 2013
    The pc version is MILES better than the xbox version and the game can be pretty fun at times. so far the only problems I see can be fixed with patches or in the next 3 dlc packs
  22. May 3, 2013
    The game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 becauseThe game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 because I'm a fan of the movies and previous AvP games and as I said it could of been worse (like throwing on walls and slapping wall seriously) Expand
  23. Apr 16, 2013
    First off, I'd like to say that I miss the absence of ironsights in games. Just leveling your crosshair over a monster and pressing the fire button was satisfying, and made you feel like a badass. Nowadays, firing from the hip is a sure way to never hit your target if you use anything other than a shotgun.

That being said, I'd like to add another preface. I LOVE the Alien and Predator

That being said, I'd like to add another preface. I LOVE the Alien and Predator franchises, and my first true 3D shooter (I don't count Doom as true 3D. It used 2D sprites) was Aliens versus Predator 2. I treasured that game. I played it over and over. When AvP 2010 came out, I almost messed my pants. I loved that one too, but not as much as AvP 2. The one thing those two had in common was the LACK OF IRON SIGHTS. Sci-Fi games that take place in the future shouldn't have iron sights. That mechanic is there to add a sense of realism to the game.

ANYTHING INVOLVING THE ALIENS FRANCHISE IS ANYTHING BUT REALISTIC. So why have ironsights in Colonial Marines? I didn't see anybody using a scope or sights in the movie. They all fired from the hip. So why inject a military shooter mechanic into a sci-fi/horror game? I'll tell you: To cater to the CoD jocks and Battlefield frat boys. I just need to say that this needs to stop. Some of us don't want realism or a cover system in our RPGs (Mass Effect 2 and 3) or iron sights in our sci-fi and horror games (Aliens: CM, Fallout: New Vegas)!

Anyways, that is my main complaint with this game. If there weren't any iron sights, this game would have earned an 8.5 in my books. A lot of people complained about the A.I, and when it comes to squad members, I totally agree. They are dumb as rocks. The Alien A.I wasn't as spotty as some professional game reviewers made them out to be. The lore states that the individual xeno is about as intelligent as an insect. Their tactics and cunning is derived from the Queen, and the further they are from her, the dumber they get. People were expecting that the xeno A.I would try to outsmart them, but the fact of the matter is, Gearbox got their behavior patterns spot on. I went into this game fully expecting the xenos to run blindly into my bullets one after another, in a primitive attempt to make me exhaust all of my ammo so I would be defenseless when the next wave attacked. Guess what? They did. I couldn't be happier.

The human enemies behaved typically enough. Run to cover, lean out, squeeze off a few shots, take cover, throw grenade if I'm in cover, move up closer, flanking, melee when I try to brain them with my rifle. Run of the mill stuff. Like I said: Typical. No different from any other FPS I've played.

Pre-Rendered cutscenes in Alies:CM suffered the same way the ones in Deus Ex: Human Revolution did. They were uglier than the in-game cutscenes and the developers could have made them better by using the game engine instead of the crap rendering they chose to use.

Now for the story and voice acting: The story had more holes than swiss cheese, and the only decent voice actor was Lance Henriksen, the original actor who portrayed Bishop and Bishop Weyland in the Alien and AvP movies. The rest of them sounded like they just got their certificate of completion from the acting class at the learning annex.

Finally, the gameplay. Action packed, sometimes suspenseful, moody as all hell, atmosphere was spot-on. Animations could have used a little more polish, but graphics were very pretty, even on low settings. Glitches weren't very frequent. A few clipping issues here, some A.I pathing problems there, spazzy ragdolls were present (always funny), but nothing game breaking. I didn't experience any crashes, even on launch day (yes, I pre-ordered) before the first patch release.

Weapons felt real, visceral, and powerful. Although there were a plethora of options to choose from, I found myself only using the Pulse Rifle and the Shotgun, only switching out when I ran out of ammo. That brings up a nice feature. Aliens:CM doesn't force you to choose only 2 or 3 weapons. You can switch out to ANY weapon you have unlocked at any time through the use of a quick-access wheel overlay without disrupting the action. I loved this feature the most, because it reminded me of AvP 2, where you could carry all of your weapons at once. Upgrading your weapons is a nice feature, but sadly, you can never upgrade your Pulse Rifle to carry 99 bullets per clip like in the movies and previous games in the Aliens franchise.

I never played multiplayer, but I heard its the only saving grace for this game.

My conclusion: Aliens: Colonial Marines could have been a great game. If there were no iron sights, it would have been a game worthy of Gearbox Software's legendary reputation. Instead, the game soiled it. Gearbox dropped the ball on this one simply because they felt the need to cater to the CoD and Battlefield fanboys. This title is worthy of a $25 dollar pricetag. NOT $60. I would only recommend paying full price if you are a die-hard Aliens fan.
  24. Mar 24, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo norAliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo nor the interesting level designs, the entire game is essentially half broken. Enemy AI is ludicrously dumb and glitchy, the friendly AI is almost broken with some of the worst pathfinding Ive seen in literally years. The plot itself starts off well and actually has some interesting aspects to it throughout the middle but after a few levels, it just falls to pieces, as if they ran out of time and had to add in a horrible, poor-executed climax and conclusion. For fans of the franchise, you will be hooked by its generic xeno-killing gameplay but this excitement only lasts as long as your love for using the Pulse Rifle. There's a wide range of weapons but in all honesty, you'll probably only use 2-3 of them. Thankfully, the Smart-Gun and Pulse Rifles have been well designed and executed with their familiar sounds and impact (though the recoil for the Pulse Rifle is a big ridiculous). Another positive is the inclusion of legendary guns from the second film including Vasquez's Smartgun, Hudon's Pulse Rifle, Norman's Pistol etc. The NPC's you meet are generic as hell and have the worst lines (though the voice-acting is solid). The game cutscenes are poorly rendered and overall, the engine has a 2005 look with excessive lighting and poor textures. Multiplayer-wise, it holds up well but ultimately, compared Natural Selection 2, its inferior. Co-op just feels tacted on and is fun for a few levels for at the end of the day, its probably one of the worst implemented with player warping and a lack of Co-op features. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a total letdown and my biggest disappointment of a game since Mass Effect 3 last year. They have recently released a new patch that does enhance the AI and graphics as well as a solid Bug Hunt DLC but all in all its like adding extra icing and fresh seasoning to a chocolate cake gone bad: too little, too late. Unless you're a big Aliens nut like myself, than avoid A:CM at all costs. Its Game Over all right. Game Over. Collapse
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    SEGA have made a terrible presentation again. Was not that bad nor good. Good dialogue but terrible missions. Being this game on the human scale it would be Alienated, waste of $70
  26. Mar 13, 2013
    The overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say thisThe overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say this game belongs in the $29 to $39 range.

The unlocks add an interesting twist, and the weapon mods a little flavor, but I would have preferred more story and less CoD.
  27. Mar 11, 2013
    Is Sega’s attempt at staying “true” to the Aliens Franchise really worth it? Reviewing Aliens: Colonial Marines

The is Back!! The Aliens franchise has been through numerous sequels and mash ups and with the most recent origin story, Prometheus, the series has only become more forgettable. With Colonial Marines, it is now Sega’s turn to take up the banner of this once glorious franchise. Read on to know more about their attempts to make the audience sit back and take notice.

Read More: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/is-segas-attempt-at-staying-true-to-the-aliens-franchise-really-worth-it-reviewing-aliens-colonial-marines/
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    Many of you should be ashamed for black balling this game so horribly. I've had many hours of entertaining game play out of it. and half of you never even picked it up and feel you can review it. 47 hours of enjoyment this game has given me. try and get that at your local bar for 50 bucks.
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    I really like the Alien films but it did not make me more fond of the game. When I play deathmatch in multiplayers it was great fun so 37 hours before uninstalling when you meet original kamapnjen after 8 hours so you can say it was worth the money.
  30. Mar 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is unbelievable that people are rating this game a 9 or 10 it blows my mind don't listen to them im sure the majority of them pre-ordered, unfortunate they are making it worse for us all letting the industry get away with this crap, so shame on them. This is just not a very good game.

The story is just bad and i refuse to acknowledge it as cannon. For one it fails to explain major plot holes, and don't even get me started on the ending. A marine from the first movie survives??? what were these guys smoking when they came up with that. Any true alien fan would be disappointing with this game and I believe we expect a certain amount of quality to be involved when it comes to this beloved franchise. Yes expectations where high and rightfully so. The sound is great, love the sound effects like the pulse rifle and others such as aliens dying. The AI is bad and ruined the immersion for me on more than one occasion. For instance aliens standing in front of my AI squad mate for seconds attempting to kill him or navigating around him to get to me or like on most occasions my squad mate just firing his smart gun for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing. The graphics are bad which is something that caught me off guard. textures are terrible and character animation is amateur. the lighting ,one of the most important features in anything alien is mediocre which is extremely disappointing. i could go on but you get the idea just not much of a game here multilayer is better but doesn't make up for the terrible campaign.
  31. Mar 24, 2013