7.5

1. Jun 13, 2011
    I specifically signed up for metacritic to review this game. This game is highly underrated, and from someone who has played games for over 15 years now, i think it is an injustice to see this game score poorly. The level of engagement in this game, the storytelling, the detailed files and information intelligence gathering makes this game unique and truly satisfying. This is not a dumb persons game. Someone who is impatient(most of the younger generation) and dislikes reading will not enjoy this game. It can be a shooter, but it is a thinking mans spy game with real consequences to your actions. To play a game that TRULY changes outcomes based on your decisions is an enjoyment to play. Thats what makes it so much fun. Make your choice. stick with it. don't reload or re-save, and carve your own destiny in this excellent game. Steam has it for maybe 30 dollars right now. This game is for someone who enjoyed games like mass effect, the witcher, baldurs gate, splinter cell. etc. Splinter cell was done well, but was defenitely not as immersive as this game, and wasnt as satisfying. I felt a real connection to the characters in this game and knew my actions would depend on them living or not. Control wise, the game is passable and not dazzling. but with a story that really gets you immersed, it doesnt matter. texture resolution is high, and gives faces a level of realism that is good. Its not all about flair; its about style, an intelligent story and a deep plot. Its very sad to see games like this not get a sequel because of impatient, brain dead gamers. Cheers, Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2011
    Honestly, I look at the scores given by reviewers and I have to wonder if they played the same game I did. People give it a lot of flak for a variety of problems, and although they aren't wrong in their criticisms, I personally found those problems minor enough to overlook considering how much fun the game is. The best part about this game is seeing how your dialogue options and choices throughout the game, this is definitely a game that rewards repeat playthroughs. To anybody interested in this game, I would say not to trust the reviews and just try the game for yourself, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I would put this game just a couple of notches below Mass Effect 2 in terms of the enjoyment I got out of it. Decent graphics (especially considering how much people complain about them), fun gameplay, and a great conversation system make this one a keeper. Expand
  3. Nov 28, 2011
    I paid 2.50 or something on sale for this.
    How in the hell is that possible ... i get over charged for games half as polished and enjoyable and feel quilty about paying this rediculous amount for a game thats clearly worth much more.
    It looks good plays good and is fun.. wish i could say that about the last 60 dollar game i baught.
    this one slipped through the cracks my friends..
    worth playing and reminded me of Mass Effect in many ways. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2010
    I came at this game with high hopes. I am an avid gamer and RPGs are especially close to my heart. However, I was disappointed with this game for several reasons, all of which fit under the umbrella of failed to live up to expectations. A breakdown:
    1. Ability to customize playable character is minimal at best. Cosmetic options are very limited, and the skill trees are drawing from an
    awfully shallow pool.
    2. The game borrows rather than steals, becoming a reminder of better games rather than developing past greats into something new. The gameplay is *highly* derivative. To say that the game reminds strongly of: Mass Effect, the Hitman series, and the weaker moments of Splinter Cell, hardly seems like criticism; but the versions encountered in Alpha Protocol are watered down and consistently miss the mark. In doing so, they serve not as a presence of ingenious design and engaging gameplay, but as a poor copy that draws attention to its failure to imitate more perfectly. 3. The game does bring to the table a very interesting dialogue system, modeled on the ME radial. On the whole it is reasonably well-written, supports replay, and fits with the tone of the story. 4. That said, because of the cookie-cutter construction of the game, the dialogue comes out of the mouths of puppets who are obviously puppets and at no point flirt with becoming characters. 5. The AI is frequently stupid and occasionally idiotic. 6. Mechanics issues abound. Errors which in another game might be no more than irritations, in a spy game where goals, story tone, skill trees, dialogue structure are all to some extent hung on the notion of the main character being (indeed becoming) a specialist, the utter failure to allow the possibility of precise and deliberate action was, at least for me, a game-breaking flaw and fouled the whole experience.

In all, the hopes and enthusiasm I had for the game were soundly dashed by poor design decisions and what to all appearances seems to be an astonishing lack of post-production quality control.
  5. Feb 17, 2012
    Obsidian seem to do better when they fail at ambition (Fallout new vegas, Alpha protocol, Kotor 2, and many others) rather than succeed at a polished safe game (dungeon siege 3 comes to mind). Yes, the developers make flawed games. However let's look at FNV for a moment, it's my favorite fallout game. And yes, it crashes and glitches and breaks. However it's complicated and ambitious, it has detail and quirk. Alpha protocol has it's own breed of ambition. A more subtle kind. What it does with decision making, rpg systems, and genre mixing is engaging and bold. However unlike new vegas, it feels like a budget game. The movement feels akward, the animation feels akward, the action feels arkward. In a pre-mass effect world, people would be more forgiving. However in this climate of action-rpg melding, xp systems in action games, etc. You have the action fans come in and instantly judge it for what they expect it to be. Rather than what it is. And that's not their fault either. What the game truly want's to be is a little hidden. In the end it's a role playing game - and taken as that, the clumsiness can be forgiven with persistence from the player. However if you are easily offput by production values and a budget feel - you will have already stopped playing this game. And that's a shame, because it's got a great choice system at it's heart. Expand
  6. Apr 6, 2011
    This game has a very ambitious branching storyline but some of the worst game mechanics i've ever seen. The "stealth" in this game is basically an invisibility cloak and the boss fights look like they came out of an arcade game. It seems they would have done a lot better by just lifting the mechanics of splinter cell and combining it with the style of much superior RPGS (like deus ex) they were trying to mimic.

Speaking of which, it tries to be another RPG like deus ex in more ways than one but lacks the clever detailed gameplay or plot design of that classic. The main character is also vanilla boring and cliche. All in all this is a disappointment but not too bad if you want to be entertained by a silly storyline and some mindless entertainment. The graphics in this game are fairly dated and boring to look at.
  7. Aug 26, 2011
    Despite my high score here Alpha Protocol is not a game for everyone. It's also a game that you have to know exactly what your getting when you go into it. Alpha Protocol is a pure RPG. It's not an RPG shooter like Mass Effect, or Third Person Shooter with RPG elements like Mass Effect 2. A pure RPG. This means that when you shoot with a weapon you haven't trained in if you, the player, make a perfect shot the invisible maths can make it so you still miss. If you sneak around without points in stealth, no matter how diligent you are, you will be caught. Your stats drive this game as much as your choices. The mechanics of this game are not broken, they are just standard RPG mechanics put in a genre where, if I'm honest, they don't entirely belong. That said, by the later half of the game you will be sneaking shooting or hacking your way around your chosen field without much problem. Whether you will enjoy this or not is a personal choice, though I find the system to work adequately.

The choices and dialogues are what make AP shine. They've taken Bioware's Dialogue wheel and Obsidian have advanced their own influence systems, and added their own little twists making interacting with each character both enjoyable and a challenge in its own right. The timed dialogue makes conversations more fluid, reactive and just plain fun. There are no "bad relationships" with people, hostile influence offer different bonus and can even unlock completely different routes through the game. Speaking of routes, there are so many different possible ways to play through the game and a multitude of different endings (including at least 3 different "bad guy" endings) that replayability is a big plus here.

Then we come to worst part of any obsidian game. The bugs. Oh boy the bugs. From what I've seen I've missed the worst of them, but even the relatively tame ones such as the character refusing to stick to the wall for cover, or stick too much and refusing to move in time and be frustrating. Still past the bugs there is a deep, interesting and inventive game that if your willing to accept the rather odd mechanics is well worth playing.
  8. Dec 7, 2010
    The game starts off rather well. You learn about combat, and the rest of the games mechanics... The stealth and melee is quite enjoyable, but the guns are rather sub-par and the mini-games are just awful. The mini-games aren't fun and they have no place in an action game.

The boss fights, oh how horrible they are. They are tedious at best. You fight some enemy with extra health and they
    deal extra damage. If you went melee then you're probably going to get beaten up in a fist fight with any boss. Then, the boss fights get worse as the game goes on. There's no enjoyment is spending that much time on a fight. The story is very cliche and offers limited choices. The bugs really bring the game down, but the annoyances found in the gameplay will draw your attention instead.

If the game were just about the stealth, melee, and the occasional gun fight then it'd be a real gem... but there's just too much garbage covering up the fun.
  9. Oct 5, 2011
    I'm glad I only paid $2 for this on steam. Behind the frustrating control and menu interface bugs, it's a crappy port of a half-decent 3PS with some RPG elements. The cover mechanics could use some work and the AI is just terribad for 2010. The plot and level design are the only saving graces here. The variety of characters and relevant storyline are enough to keep you interested, even intrigued.
  10. Jul 2, 2011
    I must buck the trend and say I adored this game. I finished it three times doing every conceivable option and character build. The faction system forged through real character choices is fantastic. The dialogue system keeps things interesting as well. Likewise, I actually loved the combat system, although the game was too easy. Also, AP has perfect pacing; levels never drag on and the game keeps you interested until the end. I only experienced a few minor bugs, so I really can't relate to all these complaints. To me AP will go down as one of the most under-appreciated games ever. To each his or her own, but if you can look past the hate and ignore the quirks, you too might just become obsessed with being Michael Thorton. Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2010
    The Story is interesting, and the way that the game deals with your choices is really refreshing--they seem to actually have a much bigger impact in Alpha Protocol then they do in other games. In some ways, some of the RPG aspects do seem a little simplistic, but given the fact that this is the first real spy RPG, I can't really complain there.

Are there bugs with this game? Yes. Do
    the camera controls leave a little to be desired? Yes. Is this game worth picking up if you can get it for the right price? Yes. It's actually too bad there won't be a sequel to this game, it deserves more than it's getting. Expand
  12. Mar 9, 2011
    An excellent RPG with an unprecedented amount of C&C. I found it far superior to Mass Effect 2. The different ways you can complete missions and the fact that you can choose to spare every single boss is simply impressive.
  13. Mar 23, 2011
    Alpha Protocol is a fun, over the top love letter to spy fiction that rewards you for taking the longer route rather than running and gunning.

Voice acting is top-notch and the improved cinematic dialogue is nowhere near the crap Bioware's Mass Effect pulled. Conversations sound and look like conversations.

The problems some players seem to have with this game are horrendously
    exaggerated. After playing through the unpatched game several times I have to wonder if it's not a whole bunch of faulty computer rigs that causes problems. Not to say that Alpha Protocol doesn't have it's fair share of problems, but absolutely not any more so than other Unreal Engine games. My guess is that Sega didn't give the critics their pile of "ignore all bugs"-money like EA did. Expand
  14. Jul 11, 2011
    I just purchased this game for $5 during the Steam summer sale. My first thought was, "why haven't I heard of this game before, because it is awesome."

You play as agent Michael Thorton, everything else you get to make up as you go along. I don't think some people realize how entirely different two play throughs can be. Your choices have a huge impact on the game world and there is no
    set "good" or "evil" patch. You make choices, stuff happens that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Deal with it.

I am amazed that a developer could craft such an open ended game with so many different possibilities. I'm also amazed that every choice comes with benefits. Kill that guy? Maybe you'll lose a supplier but you'll face fewer goons when you travel for your missions.

Even the much hated crouching animation is actually far more realistic than what most games give you. That's what a person would actually look like trying to "sneak" around.

As much praise as I heap on the game, there are also problems. For one, this game is supposed to be super-realistic and adaptive, yet I can shoot a guy in the head with a silenced pistol, the body will disappear on its own in a few minutes, and nobody will be the wiser. Someone stumbles across the scene where guard A was supposed to be? Nobody notices he is missing unless his body is still sitting there and then they give up in a few minutes if they can't find me. Somebody just got shot and killed on your watch and you just give up if someone shuts off the alarm?

The story is the best part. There are so many nuances that you cannot learn it all in one play through. You literally cannot, unless you cheat or something. It's the best type of game because it encourages you to play it multiple times.

The RPG aspects are placed above the shooter aspects and that's fine with me. It reminds me of Deus Ex in that respect. You have a low pistol skill? You can't hit the side of a barn. I enjoyed being tied to my character's skill points more than just my ability to move a pointer around and mash a button waiting for something awesome to happen.

This game deserved far better than what it received.
  15. Jul 14, 2011
    This may be one of the most incorrectly reviewed games of all time. Very few, if any of the professional reviewers appear to have spent any time with this game before they called it bad and moved on. Alpha Protocol is not a bad game. It is not a mediocre game. It is not an okay game.

Alpha Protocol is a great game. Every decision, literally EVERY decision you make in the game, has a
    consequence. Whether that decision is letting a young girl live, or choosing to put points into martial arts, that decision will be reflected in the game. Either the girl comes back at a later time, or you smash someone's face into a table during a cut-scene, instead of just punching them.

Decisions are what this game is about. Not combat, not stealth, not being a shooter. This game is an RPG first, an RPG second, and an RPG third. The fact that combat is handled with guns from a third person perspective is irrelevant. This game hands you decision after decision, and you have to live with the choices you make.

Dialogue trees don't exist. What you have are conversations. If you say something to someone that they don't like, you don't get to go back and say something else. They stay annoyed, and the conversation builds off that.

Don't think that means you have to play nice with everyone. This game rewards you for everything you do. Did you become friends with all the ladies? Good job, go have sex with them. Did you creep all the ladies out? Tough luck, buddy. Did you piss off a highly trained killer? Hope you like getting shot.

This game not only deserves a sequel, but it demands it. Any other game that claims your choices matter should take a good, long look at Alpha Protocol, and see if their game holds up.
  16. Jul 18, 2011
    Given the reviews one might get from the Gaming press it would be easy to, as I did, skip over Alpha Protocol as a buggy, nonsensical mess with a lot of ambition but not much else to say. It is not. In fact, given the caliber of other games in the RPG genre at present it is an absolute crime that Alpha Protocol is not rated better.

Getting negativity out of the way first, there are bugs,
    some of them are annoying like one that sometimes crashes the game when trying to reload after they player has died but for the most part these are either avoidable or not a particularly big deal. The controls are very occasionally a bit janky, at one point in the game the post mission summary potentially tells outright lies because of a misplaced trigger and the first couple of hours are definitely not the best part of the game.

That said, the story while hardly the most original or life changing is a well thought out, extremely well implemented pastiche of every thriller movie, game and book ever. What's more, the dialog, which is incredibly well written to begin with, reacts to almost everything the player chooses to do, up to and including characters reacting (sometimes dramatically) differently to you if you have rampaged through the game murdering everything in your path or played the game as a stealth game without killing anyone. It is difficult to properly express, without giving anything away, quite how reactive to the player Alpha Protocol is. While the dialog system where you pick the tone of your response and have a limited time to choose has its critics in practice the system is pretty good and certainly an improvement on the wooden and repetitive dialog trees most counterparts offer.

The shooting and stealth are both fairly good, as long as you approach it as an RPG and not a shooter, the actual gameplay is both extremely reminiscent of and a fair bit better than the original Mass Effect with a mixture of third person shooting and RPG style abilities coming into play. Stealth is occasionally difficult and sometimes slightly illogical but with practice and a little thought extremely rewarding. While there isn't too much variety in the weapons they all handle fairly well, especially if the player invests ability points in them.

The only reason I feel people have based Alpha Protocol is they came to it expecting a different game to what they got. It is not a shooter and shouldn't be judged as one, nor is it a stealth game, it is an RPG through and through and labeled as such. The closest comparisons are the original Deus Ex and the original Mass Effect, both of which it is on a par with for storytelling, dialog and gameplay.
  17. Oct 24, 2011
    The camera angles and general view are not very good, but once you get used to how it maneuvers, it becomes second nature. The controls are obviously a direct console port, with very little adaptation to the PC. Aiming is the polar opposite of smooth, and it actually has the feel of a controller pointing the crosshairs in the direction you hope to hit. In other words, aiming can and often is a problem. Hit detection will often leave you slightly frustrated. With that said, once you adjust to and forgive this faulty manner of control, the game is quite enjoyable and playable. Alpha Protocol employs interesting interaction between you and many other characters. You will develop a reputation with the NPCs depending on how you react to dialogue. This will alter many parts of the game as you progress. The amount of weapon customization and items that can be equipped is impressive and well rounded. The environments are crafted nicely, and all surroundings look quite good and realistic. The game runs well even in older systems. A positive surprise for a title released in 2010! The hacking minigames (bypassing, lockpicking, and hacking) are well implemented and fun to solve. Espionage is the main thematic focus of the game, and it is realized nicely. Immersion is also done exceptionally well. It is even realistic. Bypassing, lockpicking, and hacking all serve to involve the player deep in the narrative and action. The storyline is very good; comparable to the more developed Hollywood movies of today. The amount of characters you will interact with is wonderful, and they each act entirely different from each other. You will develop an extreme interest for two or three, and be rather annoyed at others. There are three girls that you will interact with that depending on your actions, will be romantic interests of your character's. Voice acting is done by many different persons, and they all thoroughly exceed gaming standards. Boss battles can be straightforward and curt, but they manage to keep up with how the game progresses and evolves without diminishing the experience at any level. The bosses towards the end of the game are a lot more difficult. The Brayko boss battle is my personal favorite. It's really cool! All missions are diverse in origin and in their goals, actually having a different feel to them, from one to the next. There are several graphical bugs and glitches. For example, some textures often take one or two seconds to load, but that may be due to my hardware. All is forgiven because the gameplay and story makes up for the game's developmental shortcomings. Incendiary bombs area great! Use them and abuse them! Alpha Protocol often (60% of the time or more) crashes soon after you quit it, right before it hands over all processes back to Windows. Dossiers add a nice touch of detail and insight as you unlock each piece of intelligence through accomplishments. Reading the dossiers and e-mails prior to missions gives you a better sense of acknowledge and informational power, in addition to some parts of the text being positively humorous. You may specialize your character to tailor whatever playing style you prefer. I personally preferred the combination of stealth with the occasional rifle usage. There should be more games like this. An extensive and branching storyline with lots of NPC interaction. Expand
  18. Oct 7, 2011
    Excellent game - I was hesitant about buying it at first given the mixed reviews, so ended up waiting until it was on sale - I needn't have worried, as it's the best game I've played in ages.

It's quite similar to deus ex (original) in how it plays, only with a much stronger stealth element.

You can play it in compeltely different ways, both in terms of the core gameplay (stealth vs
    going in guns blazing), and in terms of the storyline, where you can end up turning enemies into allies and choose different paths for the story to take. The stealth aspect is fairly well done, although it does suffer slightly from enemies having a narrow field of view (meaning you can take out one enemy and another that's nearby won't notice unless they're looking towards you).

I thought the graphics were very good, there's a nice number of mini-games to vary the pace (and fortunately you can avoid these if you don't enjoy them), the story was decent, and thanks to the customisation options and the way stealth was implemented the gameplay was great. The game also lasts a hefty amount of time and is highly replayable. I only came across a few minor bugs (I think about 3 times in an entire playthrough I'd have a few enemies respawn upon loading an earlier save game), so I don't feel there are any significant negatives.

All in all this is a very good and underrated game.
  19. Sep 27, 2011
    The story is gripping and the way that it branches really gives the player the power of choices that matter. You really feel like the decisions you make have an impact on the game world and that there are consequences, both positive and negative, for the things you do and say. Some people may not like the dialog system, but I think its absolutely genius! Limiting the time you have to choose dialog responses makes you have to think on your feet and pay close attention to detail. Not to mention, it allows for great replayability of the game. The characters are also really well constructed, each with their own personality, likes and dislikes, that you have to find out to successfully navigate conversations. Voice acting is pretty good too.

Another large aspect of the game is the RPG element: choosing your skills, specializations, weapon loadout and customizations. Although the interface could use some work, it isn't the most cumbersome of console-ported interfaces. That said, I think the mechanics are well done. The skill tree is reminiscent of Mass Effect 2 except you have more individual skills to choose from which is nice. I've read that the skills can be unbalanced and lead to "power-leveling", but I've chosen to ignore reading what particular skills those are because I like finding out for myself. I'm going to defend the game here and say that unbalanced skills in an RPG is perfectly acceptable; Of course not every decision you make is going to be the right one and that is the beauty of having choices--having consequences to those choices.

The weapons customization is also slick and adds a good bit of depth to gameplay since you can customize your weapon mods to suit your play style. For example adding a silencer may decrease damage but gives you the advantage of stealth.

I also like the experience/achievements system which rewards you differently based on your approaches to situations in the game. I never felt like I was missing out by not making a particular choice, because the game would reward me either way, but the rewards would differ.

Now for the bad parts: Enemy AI is lacking. For example, anytime you sprint, guards have the uncanny ability to hone in on your location. Also, this isn't Splinter Cell: Enemy bodies disappear almost instantly and guards don't really get suspicious when you kill their friends as long as they don't directly see you doing it (or hear you). Also, the alarm system is kind of broken. The game works on a checkpoint system so even if you trigger the alarm in one checkpoint, there are no negative consequences for the following checkpoint area. This means the game is very forgiving when it comes to stealth. Trigger the alarm? No problem, just bust out your assault rifle and kill everybody in the area then continue to the next checkpoint.

The other large annoyance is the save system. The game uses checkpoints for saves and overrides each checkpoint save when you reach a new one. This can be frustrating when you want to go back in time, only to find your last manual save was 2 days ago because your checkpoints were overwritten. Now when I first found out there was no ability to quick save, I thought it was a stupid design decision. But now, I see that it falls inline with the rest of the game's design philosophy: You're choices matter and there are consequences to your actions. Allowing you to quick save whenever you want takes away from the gravity of your actions since you can redo them infinitely without consequence. Overall if I could change it, I would keep the checkpoint system, but have it save each checkpoint separately.

That said, I think the save system and the poor AI are excusable, given the very engrossing story and the very well executed branching and dialog system. That's not to say that the action and actual gameplay are not fun in their own right, just that the former elements steal the show. I'm sad to hear Alpha Protocol received such poor reception from the press and initial users, but I hope others will give this diamond in the rough a chance. And just hopefully, Obsidian will be given the chance to do a sequel.
  20. Sep 28, 2011
    This game is simply amazing! You get the decision making/conversation options/RPG elements similar to Mass Effect; and you get the espionage and humor from Metal Gear Solid. This all blends together to create a unique gaming experience with a huge replay factor, with different classes and game play routes. The story of this game is thrilling and always making you want to see what comes up next, every time I stopped playing I would run scenarios through my head trying to find out what would happen next!
    You can choose to be a real spy and go in silent trying not to be detected, or go in guns blazing and making all the noise you could ever imagine. You get to choose who to believe, choose who to ally with, choose who to kill, and so much more.
    But like with any other game ever created, and that will be created there are bugs that can get annoying at times. The graphics are decent, not the best, but nowhere near the worst. The enemy AI can be stupid at times and the saving feature is somewhat frustrating.
    Overall this game has gripping game play, a very thrilling storyline, and you can replay over and over again. I really hope they make a sequel because this game truly does deserve it.
  21. Nov 8, 2011
    The expectations before you play could polarize your views. Some play this, expecting "Splinter Cell : The RPG". Others expect "Neverwinter Nights, guest-starring Sam Fisher". It's probably more "Mass Effect in modern times" This would be a good game, if it wasn't for Obsidian's modus operandi of making something that could be awesome, but failing to implement it correctly. There are bugs, optimization issues, dumb AI, annoying saving (and loading) system, and short-ish campaign. On the other hand, it *is* engaging. Dialogue options, one of those "choice and consequences" concept that doesn't fall flat on its face, different gameplay approaches that actually work, and finally a plot that doesn't revolve around doomsday nuclear weapons threatening the world peace. As an old-time pen-and-paper RPG player, I can confidently say this is a role-playing game. Those who play for action may be disappointed. Expand
  22. Oct 14, 2010
    This game plays like Mass Effect + Splinter Cell and if you're in love with both games like me, you will really enjoy Alpha Protocol. Combining stealth, decision-making, a variety of missions and a neat role-playing system, Alpha Protocol is one of the best ideas for a video game this year. It is therefore unfortunate that the game was rushed with a lot of thing left unpolished. Gameplay is glitchy, the targeting system is weird, the animation when you turn around looks funny, ragdoll deaths are terrible, characters seemed cool but were too shallow, story arcs were not explored deeper, loading is horrifying, stealth could be a lot better, etc. It pains me to know that if Obsidian was given much more time with this game that it would have been a real Mass Effect 2 quality product, but unfortunately this is not the case. Nonetheless, if you're looking for a stylish, Splinter Cell type game, you definitely want to give this a try. Expand
  23. Jul 9, 2012
    If you like Pierce Brosnan James Bond movies you like this. The only bad sides I could find was that enemies(or you) take forever to kill unless you aim and critical them in the head or if you use sneak attack. Other option is to use shotgun or any other less stealthy weapon and go all Rambo, the game doesn't punish you at all even if you do not play like a real agent would. Lip-sync and face animations are also quite awful which sort of annoys me because dialog and voice acting are both superb. Expand
  24. Aug 4, 2011
    An interesting experiment, to say the least. This game is threading in an area where no other has before. RPG with an modern-high-tech-espionage backdrop. I`m pretty sure that all the mixed reviews originate in people simply being confused. Compare it to, say DA:O, and it`s not exactly an RPGish. Compare it to better installments in Splinter Cell series, and, well you`ll be left wondering "what the hell am I playing? But the story? How it is put together? The sheer amount of interactivity it allows you? And the atmosphere on some levels? Wonderful gem I say, on par with other, older Obsidian`s work. Of course, there are certain problems with the game, and it could use more polish, definitely. But if you had just about enough of slightly nerdish RPGs made for teenagers (admit it, DA:O is one) or overblown, overambitious space-opera FPS-RPG hybrids like Mass Effect, this is the way to go. Something completely new. Try it. Expand
  25. Zri
    Jan 25, 2011
    The story is a lot of fun, the RPG elements through character development and especially _meaningful_ conversation options is just superb, and the sneakiness is refreshingly well done. I feel that the only thing that lets Alpha Protocol down is that the active combat (ie when you're not ambushing people and they're aware you're around) is merely good, and not great. While games like the Splinter Cell franchise have tended (in the past, sadly) to do the sneaker side of things better, Alpha Protocol has tied the whole thing into one package very well indeed. Do yourself a favour and get it. Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2011
    I have played RPG's with a better combat system, and I have played shooters with equally deep story writing- and yet Alpha Protocol Captivates me and at the end leaves me wanting more- even if I want that more to be better polished. Despite poor sales commercially, and a sometimes more-than-shaky stealth system that can turn a few people off, this game had amazing potential. I am literally saddened there will be no sequel- it's like having a week long passionate fling and then finding out She changed her numbers and locks on you. Expand
  27. Sep 4, 2012
    This game is what Mass Effect should have been : when you make a choice it has a real impact on the plot.
    That's what the game was about and it nails it on that front, everything else can be forgiven.
    In an era where RPG forgot that they were RPGs (R.I.P. Fallout), it's refreshing to have a game where aiming correctly doesn't amount to much if you don't have any points in the weapon
    you're using. Expand
  28. May 15, 2011
    An excellent game on so many levels. A highly reactive storyline unfolding in ways you want (or sometimes ways you don't want) makes it an excellent experience. And I will stress the word experience because that is mainly what this is; if just the gameplay had been better it would have been an all-time favourite for me, but it does it's job.
  29. Oct 1, 2011
    Loved it, don't care about the other reviews, was lighthearted and fun all the way through. 150 characters? aw man thats wayyyyy too long, have to fill up text.. er.. screw flanders.
  30. Oct 23, 2011
    The brilliance of this game has obviously not been noticed by many a reviewer. Shame on these so called 'professionals' for not not recognizing a good game when they see it and shame on Sega for their unwillingness to work on Alpha Protocol 2. This game could easily find its place among titles such as Fallout 1 and Deus Ex 1. The storyline is unique, forcing the player to make ethical decisions on the fly. There's just never a dull moment in the Alpha Protocol and each mission unlocks new avenues and objectives for the player to explore. Not paying attention in this game is punished and reading up on all the background stories and gauging your adversaries' (and allies') intentions rewarded. The game offers good replayability and offers some highly memorable characters to interact with. There's good character customization as well with fun gadgets and lots of weapon upgrades. The game also rewards you based on your choices by giving you 'perks' that upgrade your character permanently; these small bonuses are never game breaking and always interesting. What stops me from awarding it a 10? The horrible, horrible obvious console-port mechanics. The graphics are dated, the controls are awkward, the menus buggy and the boss fights sometimes border on the impossible. (Make certain your character is skilled in a gun of your choosing!) The regular AI is neither too difficult nor too easy, the game is simply very forgiving about screw-ups on the gamer's side. The conversation is also somewhat ambigious at moments; you never quite know what your character is going to say next and sometimes, you end up insulting someone when you think you're just asking them for more information. Turns out that the chat-wheel you're given doesn't simply feature conversation options, they're stances:to the left is the James Bond stance ("Suave") on top the renegade agent ("Aggressive") that'll get the mission done regardless of the costs and to the right is the more diplomatic agent. ("Professional"). Occasionally unique choices will pop up during conversation that often move the game in a different direction. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this game and I would recommend it to any one who enjoys intricate stories about corporations, espionage and hacking. Expand

1. From the beginning of the game, till the ending, I was relatively pleased with how important and impactful the decisions I made were.
  2. Mediocre gameplay hides an enjoyable RPG with moments of genius. But it could have been so much more. [Aug 2010, p.56]
  3. That exhilarating core deserves more than the pretty rancid crust that tops it. [Aug 2010, p.76]