8.4

1. May 11, 2012
    First off I played this on the Xbox 360. It was included as a freebie when you bought the sequel. Anyways I never gave this game a chance in the last 10 years- I always saw the cover and American McGee and thought, "meh", (I didnt know American McGee was a real person let alone a man.

Anyways, after the wait Im glad I played it. Its an excellent platformer thats a ton of fun to play.
    Interesting, dark story and characters, cool weapons and cool bosses round the list. Only issues I had are with the camera now and again but not a big deal. Im now a huge fan of the series and started playing the sequel and looking for merchandise. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2011
    I wish i still had a handle on this game anyway i have played it many times back in the day and i have to say the atmosphere in this game is psychedelically intense like a bad acid trip. Fun gameplay my only complaint is the story left out some important characters from what i remember the walrus and the carpenter, all in all i wish i still had this game on my shelf.
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "While you'll undoubtedly enjoy the imaginative artwork, you might end up disappointed with just how straightforward the underlying game really is."

Dunno who made that review but I certainly enjoyed every bit of the game. The music was awesome, the story just blowed me away, and the so-called "unbalanced" weapons adds to the thrill (i mean taking on your first set of boojums with a knife and a deck of cards and triumphantly defeating them...hell yeah they're pain in the ass and they deserve some "PUNISHMENT"...)

I recommend "REAL" gamers to play this game....(if you're a kid who grew up playing DMC or GOW and sees them as a standard of a great game, i suggest you step back a little from this title...)

If you just played the game just to see some flaws in it...maybe just maybe you've missed a whole lot of what it can offer.(clue: you might or not know about it but i think you can kill every boss in this game the "CHEAP" way--haven't tried the jabberwock yet--but holds true for the D*chess(thanks for a certain guys boss wthrough), Twe*dl* Bros, and even the badass final boss herself.....(i discovered that lol))
  4. Jul 13, 2011
    American McGee's Alice is a nice morbid trip to wonderland. Well the nice portion can be debated a bit. While the game because a cult classic for story and music it's has some serious flaws. First the good, the voices are excellent even after 11 years have passed. The music also has the same superb quality despite being made from Fisher Price toys for the most part. For a game made in 2000 the levels have a great deal of detail sadly the same cannot be said for the rest of the game. While the game is part platforming the jumping is a bit awkward which makes some of the later stages outright brutal. Next problem is the weapons, while there all neat and wonderland related you have too many of them. For the most part once you get the Ice Rod you will never use anything else ever (With the exception of the Jacks and few others but only for the last three bosses), at least not for combat. Once you get a new weapon the old one get replaced instantly because it's no longer useful and switching between them can be a pain when you need to deal with the flying enemies early on. And if you get this game you should religiously thank whoever came up with the Auto-Save function because some the later levels would be nearly impossible without it as this game is not friendly towards players. Especially at the end of the game where the card guards all have nuclear weapons for some reason. And then there's the Jabberwock which while not the final boss is the hardest boss in the game and even one Easy difficulty will turn you into Alice-Flambe a few times. And the last flaw is the swimming engine, which does not work for the game at all. The few levels where you have to swim are difficult because of the failed swimming engine. And there's a rather special level of nothing but along with endless stream of Alice-eating fish. And since you can't swim very fast and will often get stuck on nothing you might as well rename yourself Fish Food for the duration of the level. Not to mention trying to use the knife underwater is about as effective as trying to use a marsh-mellow to fly into space. Though despite all the horrible things I said about the game stick with it and you'll be rewarding with a journey of remarkable (and slightly eerie) visions. And now that it comes with Alice:Madness Returns you can play it without shelling out 100$ bucks on E-bay. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation in enemies according to the respective level), this is a must-have title for actions fans (that also like some elements of horror) as it is really different from most competitors in the genre. Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    Although by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven't played American McGee's Alice, I highly suggest that you do. It is definitely a memorable and worthwhile game. Expand
  7. Jun 23, 2014
    I've gotten this game as an "add-on" in Alice: Madness Returns, as its original format is rare and expensive. First of all, Madness Returns is a better game than American McGee's Alice. I give Alice a 8/10 rating, for its nice graphics and storyline, but poor and hard gameplay.
  8. Jun 10, 2014
    Una vuelta de tuerca al libro de Alicia en el País de las Maravillas y A través del Espejo. A nivel narrativo muy interesante pero ha envejecido bastante mal, pero una buena referencia para narratología.

1. The action falls short of amazing because certain elements, such as the poor A.I., do not hold up their end of the bargain, but Alice is still a fascinating trip that is well worth the tumble down the rabbit hole.
  2. What really impressed me about Alice's visuals is the imaginativeness of the designers, and the highly thematic environments, which completely differ from one level to another and are brought to life with some crisp and detailed textures.
  3. The levels, the characters - everything about this game is beautiful. The levels are easily the prettiest and most creative I have ever seen, each one designed in its own unique style. You couldn't get a better result if you threw Tim Burton or Clive Barker into the mix.