5.8

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is definitely not the same game as The Dark Descent. It's quite different. It's got fewer jump scares and it's not as splatter-horror-y as some fans might have wished. But boy, that overwhelming, thick sense of dread that comes with every step down into the unholy machine. Not to mention the brillant soundtrack by Jessica Curry (do yourselves a favour and buyAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs is definitely not the same game as The Dark Descent. It's quite different. It's got fewer jump scares and it's not as splatter-horror-y as some fans might have wished. But boy, that overwhelming, thick sense of dread that comes with every step down into the unholy machine. Not to mention the brillant soundtrack by Jessica Curry (do yourselves a favour and buy it) and the brillant writing by Dan Pinchbeck. I guess it takes a bit of effort to actually get involved into the story (similar to Dear Esther) but you'll probably get one of the most literary experiences in video games to date. Expand
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    This is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread momentsThis is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread moments which were present in first Amnesia and Penumbra, which this game desperately needed. If that was included with some more polish with basic gameplay mechanics, and maybe some plot-point alterations, this would have been a perfect game.
    Don't take notice of the consistent whining about lack of inventory, sanity system or puzzles; This game offers much more than those trivialities.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Yes, I played the original. Yes this is just as good. Where gameplay has been simplified, improved story telling has taken its place. Where jump scares have decreased, improved atmosphere and dread has taken its place.

It is not another Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

It is instead Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

And thank you, The Chinese Room and Frictional, for that.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    More Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... andMore Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... and I'll rate it accordingly Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    This is an amazing game, great storyline the graphics are awesome. If you played the original Amnesia you won't be upset with playing this game. So many hateful comments towards this game.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    If you're willing to accept the fact that not everything is the same as TDD, then this game will suck you right in and won't let go. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.
  7. Sep 20, 2013
    Part of the problem with most horror game reviews are simply they are rushed through just to get the review finished with. Put on your headphones, isolate yourself from other people, turn off all of the lights, and play A Machine for Pigs. After playing this game in that kind of isolation, as it should be played, (who would want to watch a horror movie or play a horror game in broadPart of the problem with most horror game reviews are simply they are rushed through just to get the review finished with. Put on your headphones, isolate yourself from other people, turn off all of the lights, and play A Machine for Pigs. After playing this game in that kind of isolation, as it should be played, (who would want to watch a horror movie or play a horror game in broad daylight anyways?) what I got from this game was a constant feeling of dreadful anxiety.

A Machine for Pigs is different in the sense of mechanics from The Dark Descent, but it terrified me more than the original title. The sequel takes a step further in atmospheric horror, giving you a horrible dread throughout the entire game. This is where it improves from the original. The previous Amnesia had its pockets where you felt like you overcame a situation and had an opportunity to breathe and relax for a bit. In A Machine for Pigs, you are constantly under an awfully frightening Victorian inspired atmosphere. The writing is incredibly dark and twisted, and the level design is superb. Plummeting further into the dreadful machine had me yelling out loud and screaming; the eerie machinery and loud noises is something that will always be a terrifying mechanism to use, which brings me to my next point, the music.

The music and general sound in this game is by far the best out of anything that I have heard out of a horror themed creation period. A large portion of the game I spent yelling for the loud, sudden noises to stop, in which most cases they did not. This is scary as hell, and so is this game's suddenly deathly quietness in some cases, where the sound of pressure is filled inside your head, making it feel like you can't breathe.

In conclusion, anyone who wants something to stay absolutely the same is not going to be happy. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a game that changes from its predecessor and actually works and improves on the original. Sure there there are no tinderboxes, no sanity, and no lantern oil, but it is a more story driven horror title. A Machine for Pigs shows that copying and pasting game mechanics from its previous title is not needed to be an even scarier game.

This game took me just under six hours to beat with myself taking my time and immersing myself completely, which is a good amount of gameplay for a $20 game. Yes, this is a different experience, and in my opinion, a much more frightening one.
  8. Sep 15, 2013
    What to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story butWhat to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story but lacks in the strong horror elements that made a dark descent so great. I'm not gonna call this a spoiler because it is so obvious, in the game their are pigs, as someone who has had pigs and had pigs slaughtered made this game particularly not frightening. But, the story was so good that I enjoyed it anyways.

For pure horror: skip it
    For a great interactive story experience: play it
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    Simply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design isSimply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design is near perfect despite it being so incredibly linear. I have no problem with that, as I know that linear gameplay is the best way to tell a story. The writing is great, the voice acting is top notch (despite some cheap sound effects), and the atmosphere is PERFECT. The graphics are also fantastic despite having indie origins. The plot lays out like Bioshock, which also means it has pacing issues. Also, the inconsistency of the enemy encounters is noticeably annoying, but the encounters it does have are BLISTERINGLY intense. Way more frightening than anything in the first game. Expand
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    Approach this not as a game but as a novella, or any other literary form, and you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's not a better game than the original, but it's a better everything else.

A slightly snotty warning: If you have no idea who Ambrose Bierce was, or his contemporaries, maybe go buy the new GTA, instead.
  11. Sep 10, 2013
    A nice game! Haven't finish it off but the game is cool! I dont know why people are saying, it's bad blabla, idk, maybe it will be bad later? 9-10 I like it!
  12. Sno
    Sep 10, 2013
    Although several things have been changed from the original amnesia, this title is certainly deserving of the amnesia trademark. I was scared just as much, if not more, in this game than the original, which the original failed to do for me on my second playthrough. Frictional made a fantastic decision allowing thechineseroom to develop this game.
  13. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a masterpiece. A masterpiece of storytelling, a masterpiece of atmosphere, and a masterpiece of thematic depth and cohesion.

What it is not, though, is a masterpiece of game design, simply because it's not a "game." No mechanical skill or special mental acuity are required to succeed. There are no choices to be made that affect the story or its conclusion. This is very much a spiritual successor to Dear Esther (it was designed by the same studio), with only superficial similarities to Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

At its core, The Dark Descent was an old school adventure game, something which I actually didn't like about it. It was incredibly atmospheric, scary, and downright disturbing, but to me the puzzles served as a frequently annoying distraction from exploring the grim and compelling world laid before me.

A Machine for Pigs almost entirely forgoes these game elements and transitions completely to the interactive fiction genre. And what a work of interactive fiction it is. Dear Esther was an extraordinarily well-crafted and moving experience, but AMfP improves on it in every way. The writing is masterful, weaving together themes of guilt, original sin, the duality of man, religion, and socio-political philosophy. The visuals are superb and nearly flawless, although I did find myself frustrated by the lack of reflecting mirrors and more naturalistic fog effects. Minor complaints to be sure, but ever so slightly immersion-breaking nonetheless.

I must also shower composer Jessica Curry with the highest praise. Her work in Dear Esther was breathtaking and here we find her again practicing at the pinnacle of her art. Music is absolutely integral to the success of AMfP. Not only does Curry manage to underscore the emotional significance of each section perfectly, but every cue is also a brilliantly original composition in its own right. Search out Mors Praematura online to hear exactly what I'm talking about. At the risk of sounding overly effusive I'd have to say that this is soundtrack of the year (or decade!) material.

In closing, I think Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a spectacular creative achievement and deserves to be experienced by almost everyone. Yes, it is unusual and is most definitely not a game, nor is it anything like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. As long as you are aware of these facts going in and are able to re-calibrate your expectations early on I guarantee that you're in for a deep, thought-provoking and one of a kind experience.
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    This game definitely knows how to build tension. Music, lighting, atmosphere everything works together perfectly. Due lack of free time i played this hour yesterday and hour just now, and both times it left me with disturbed mind and sick aftertaste.
  15. Sep 10, 2013
    Okay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still asOkay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still as great horror game. Better than Outlast, Better than Penumbra. It's laughable to see all the bad reviews...and then figure out, that it's probably the same little freak, making new accounts and reviewing the game over and over and over again. Stop it little children. This is a great horror title, and don't let anyone tell you other wise. I recommend you pick up The original first, it's better and the same price. But give this one a try to, great game. Expand
  16. Sep 11, 2013
    I really don't understan why people are downrating this game, it's very well done, it takes the in depth environment of dear esther and the scares of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and makes a brilliant game
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    i can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a smalli can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a small hatch which i can jump through. and i did, and just as i started breathing again, i can see that the pig-monster has already followed me down, so i start to run! as i panic and run through darkness i cant even see if its a dead end im heading towards, or if another monster decided to chase me aswell, then i see a dor so i open the door, and i see the monster running towards me, i can barely move from the fear im experiencing but i managed to slam the door in its face, quickly barricading the door with whatever i can find, after a while, i hear the squeals sounds further and further away, and i then realized that im safe... FOR NOW. i´d easily give this game a 10/10, for the atmospherical environments and the rewarding feeling when you have managed to survive an encounter, if you haven´t played this game alredy, then play it now! PROS: great scary atmosphere, thrilling environment, dark, immersive and deep storyline and a great ton of fun experience. CONS: minor bugs, simplified game mechanics, and as i´ve noticed they seem to have removed the insanity system which im really dissappointed about. SUMMARY: the cons are so easy to look around when you notice what a great experience frictional/chinese has made for you, one of the best horror games i have ever played (i did play the original amnesia). Collapse
  18. LST
    Sep 11, 2013
    I get the feeling that if we were to lose the prefix 'Amnesia' in the title of this game I'd have been reading different reviews altogether. Understandably people were expecting something different (or should I say, 'more of the same') from a franchise that revolutionised the horror genre by landing the player defenceless in a heavily interactive and high-pressure environment.

Here,

Here, there is no oil. No wardrobes to hide in. No boxes to barricade doors...We're a long way away from the hostile darkness of Castle Brennenberg.

Instead we are born into the most grotesque horror story conceived (since Silent Hill 2...) jam-packed with imagery that is sure to linger in your mind... And that's a great achievement. I'd best describe the story as 'A darkly satirical science fiction obsessed with the Uncanny'. Play it. It's a strain of dread I've never before experienced in a horror game. It's what makes A Machine for Pigs unique. And terrifying.

People should acknowledge that 'Amnesia' was trying something different this time. It misses in areas where The Dark Descent scores. It scores where The Dark Descent misses. And it scores high.
  19. Feb 16, 2014
    On of the best games I have played, Other reviews are saying that they played the first 30 minutes and quit, to fully get the game you have to play through it, it gets so much scarier. In my eyes you have to fully play a game to review it
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    The curtain closes and I'm left staring at the credits pondering the splendid story I've just been told both by voice and by pen. The writing through notes scattered about the environment is unbelievably magnificent. The musical score is also noteworthy and like it's predecessor the atmosphere is thick, rich and well maintained throughout.

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs with Amnesia: The Dark Descent as is the rage on the Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Steam forums and most likely on any gaming forum that your browser may come upon. Simply put, just because two siblings share the same surname does not mandate that the youngest emulate or follow in the footsteps of the elder Both siblings can be great in their own way. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs deserves to stand on it's own and bask in it's own brilliance and magnificence.
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    The beggining of game is really and i was though that this game became a real piece of but then when i started to hear those wonderful soundtracks and interesting storyline, i changed my mind. Bassicilly i would give 7,5 but to rise a bit the score i give 10.
  22. Sep 27, 2013
    I like to think of the Amnesia games as an Anthology, each will be quite different (If they make more). A Machine for Pigs is by far very different from the Dark Descent. I rate this game so highly because of the way it plays out. Yes there were some game mechanics that I did not understand. However they're not important. I think most people didn't like this game because it is a differentI like to think of the Amnesia games as an Anthology, each will be quite different (If they make more). A Machine for Pigs is by far very different from the Dark Descent. I rate this game so highly because of the way it plays out. Yes there were some game mechanics that I did not understand. However they're not important. I think most people didn't like this game because it is a different kind of horror. The story is very hard to pick up if you are not careful to detail and if you don't read the notes. This game wants you to try and understand what's going on, it isn't a game for people who want to run through and get a bunch of jump scares (Which is what the general non-horror game loving public thinks modern horror games are all about...Slender is over with people not every game is going to be a Boo! and Run! game!!) I think the graphics were amazing, however I had issues with crashing but fixed it with a little computer knowledge. Apparently Frictional doesn't like Intel graphics cards. I thought it had great atmosphere and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE MUSIC. I thought about giving this game a 9/10 since I enjoyed The Dark Descent a hair more (probably because The Dark Descent was way more disturbing) but this game deserves a higher score so I'm giving it a 10/10 because it really is a good sequel to a series that brings a lot to the table! Expand
  23. Sep 15, 2013
    After playing AMFP, I was surprised with the negative reviews of the game. Having just finished Outlast which was certainly very scary, AMFP had something else that was more powerful to me: dread.

The jumpy scares were greatly reduced to only a few instances in the game, but the effect was that you never knew what was going to happen. With Outlast, and Amensia: The Dark Descent, I become almost desensitized to the scares because they were so frequent.

In a lot of ways I felt the game was actually very similar to The Dark Descent. They simplified the torch and lantern system without sacrificing the fear element, and in many situations you couldn't slip into the darkness to see everything around you like The Dark Descent. Beyond that though many of the elements and puzzles were similar.

I felt unsettled and uncomfortable the whole time while playing AMFP, which was great. Coupled with the creepy late 1800's atmosphere of scientific discovery, and this was a game I greatly enjoyed. Play time for me was about 12 hours, similar to The Dark Descent.
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game.As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  25. Sep 25, 2013
    Amnesia Machine For Pigs will move you. Don't expect a re-harsh of Dark Descent. This might as well be its own game. Very compelling, beautifully crafted, and scary as hell. Buy this one if you are truly ready to move to the next level of story telling and game play. A must to experience....Here piggy piggy...
  26. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-endAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-end computers, removing the physics attributes for a lot of unimportant in game scenery. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in theirAmnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  28. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  29. Sep 15, 2014
    Do you want a trully unique horror experience? Then grab this game, because the horror in there is not based on simple jump-scares, but rather on terrifying story! The story presented in this game is a true masterpiece, bautifuly voice-acted with awesome soundtrack. Atmosphere is dark and disturbing. Just play it in night with a candle and you will see :)
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

First off players need to set their expectations. This is more of a physiological thriller and dark mystery with tons of symbolism and history rolled up into it. It's not going to give you the sense of terror and helplessness that the Dark Descent gave you, but it's still a fantastic game, and extremely well thought out. The atmosphere and soundtrack are stunning, and the dreadful, melancholy sense of "wtf are these people doing?" prevails throughout the game.

Yes the monsters are easy and so are the puzzles, but the story here was so good I personally appreciated that as I did not want to waste time and wanted to advance the story line. Speaking of which it has a few twists and turns along the way which was a welcome surprise.

I think the problem alot of the negative reviews are having is they had a different expectation of the game, as if it were to be the Dark Descent part 2. This game reminds me alot of when the movie Sixth Sense came out, then was followed up by another brilliant movie Unbreakable. Two completely different movies but some fans wanted to see another Sixth Sense. Vanilla and chocolate, both great flavors and we can enjoy both.

Finally if you were a fan of Dear Esther, you will absolutely love this game. What I liked about this and Dear Esther were the emotional responses they drew, and the physiological metaphors embedded throughout the story.

Not sure how many caught it but that subliminal pig head that barely flashed on the screen for a second, as you went into one of the lifts, was freakin awesome.

I hope that Frictional continues with the Amnesia franchise, as these games have to be some of the most well-written ever. A Machine for Pigs is a solid contribution to the series.
  31. Sep 13, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is really different experience, comparing to the original. However, changing in gameplay, style and storytelling did what they had to now this game is an awesome expansion to the Amnesia universe with mad and horror story, excellent music and perfect design.
  32. HD3
    Oct 4, 2013
    The game play is significantly simplified over the Dark Descent which will put some people off but it's every bit as scary and horrific as the original. The narrative is much stronger and well written and the environments are beautifully detailed. Cast performances are universally fantastic. Would recommend.
  33. Sep 11, 2013
    loved the story pacing and acting, took me a while to get into the game but once i did i couldn't stop playing. if you are getting this just for scary bits then you will probably be disappointed but if you play a game for story and atmosphere you will love it
  34. Sep 13, 2013
    Hell to the naysayers, this game is amazing. Its true potential may be hidden by a false face of bland maps, linear and easy puzzles and an absence of scares, but don't let that fool you!

When you fully understand the power of the chairs (more specifically stools), you will come to the understanding that this game is a deep social commentary with so much depth and multifaceted intricacy that to even begin to comprehend it could result in your death. The grand ascension of chairs is the life of this game.

So, grab yourself a stool, lie it down and jump on top. Prepare to harness the power of the chair! Speed through halls like a winged hyena and don't stop at the constraints of the map blitz through bars, walls and even the ground! ENTER THE CHAIR REALM and the vicious emptiness that is skybox-glitch! All hail stool! All hail stool!

It's all part of a machine; a machine for chairs.

Tl;dr: this game kicks arse, 10/10 best chair simulator ever.
  35. Oct 16, 2013
    An incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters areAn incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters are disappointing, but even with how bad they are I can't take points away because the story and the immersion and the thoughts that are provoked by this game far and I mean FAR outweigh any negative impact from the enemies. Anybody that complains about the game not "scaring them" is because they didn't understand it wasn't meant to make you go, "AAAH! Monsters!" it was meant to make you go, "What monster am I? What have I done to these people? What did I do to my family?" You're meant to look inward at the horrors that can be committed by man not the horrors of pig-men trying to kill you. If you're looking for a game that will make you have those terrible thoughts and have to wonder what kind of a monster you are, than this is for you. If you want a puzzle game that relies on basic emotions (fear of character death) to scare you play Dark Descent or Penumbra (it's better than Dark Descent). Expand
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    I wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I thinkI wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I think after all this backlash, Frictional will be sure to do the next one all on their own. Let's be careful we don't cause them to pack it in altogether... Cheers! Expand
  37. Sep 12, 2013
    Despite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain thatDespite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain that they are easy to escape from, and they run very slow. Yes you have a point but when you put facts together could a 600lbs pig man run as fast as a 200lb adult man? I thought the man pigs were fine and plus I cared about the story more than the scares. Yes without the scared the game wouldn't be what it would have been. To sum it up I think this game deserved more. Expand
  38. Sep 13, 2013
    A machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strangeA machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strange to you. I gave this game a 9 just because the game wasnt scary cause i believe the first game was way scarier) but because is unique, it shows that they put a lot of effort on writing it and this is why i loved it. Not a 10 because i dont believe the name should have contained 'Amnesia' in it... this is a very different game... anyway.. totally recommending this game Expand
  39. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't understand why people are hating on this game so much. Its interesting, but is not the same game as Amnesia: The Dark Decent. They still keep up their reputation of horrifying ambience and it seems they have even improved on that aspect. Don't listen to all those haters it's a great game.
  40. Oct 19, 2013
    I loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not aI loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not a bad game, not at all! It's great.) but I do understand why there are a lot of people who disagree on that. It's simply not as scary, there's no more sanity system and you can barely interact with any objects. But only because it's being compared to the first game it ís the sequel so you'll do that automatically, of course the game seems to bad. But in my personal opinion I loved it. Expand
  41. Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where youYes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where you can freely explore every room and every corner without much hinderance or fear. It is a departure from The Dark Descent, but it works.

The horror in A Dark Descent came from the monster that was chasing you, always hurrying you along. It was very action driven. In A Machine For Pigs, the horror is much more passive. It's in the setting, the atmosphere and the story the game tells, much more than it is in the game's mechanics. And that is where The Chinese Room fits in so well. They are masters at crafting a setting that will utterly disturb you. The visuals are superb, the design of the machine is morbid, the writing in the notes and voice-overs of a quality that surpasses that of The Dark Descent... And the audio is nothing short of amazing, with a haunting soundtrack and ambient sounds that make the setting really come to life.

The game is quite short. You can finish it in 4 to 5 hours. It starts a bit slow, the beginning has a few jump-scares and a setting that is reminiscent of A Dark Descent. But once you leave the starting area and get to explore said machine from the title, the game really comes into its own. I felt The Dark Descent overstayed its welcome a bit, the latter part of the game became more tedious and it ended on a low note. Not so with A Machine For Pigs. It gets increasingly more intense as you progress and continues to build up to a final, horrifying climax.

Ultimately I think A Machine For Pigs is better than The Dark Descent. Sure it is less nerve wrecking to play, but the horror is more subtle, refined and much more unsettling. And it will stay with you once you've finished it.
  42. Nov 28, 2013
    Different, yes, but still a damn fine game. Easily more disturbing than the first game, and the gameplay operates well. And holy f*ck, the manpigs...

It's easy to become immersed in this game, and I admit I don't mind the lack of oil, tinderboxes and sanity being gone. Overall, it is excellent. I love it.
  43. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surely different from Amnesia: TDD, mainly because it wasn't created in collaboration as the first one had been. In this series, the game takes on a different focus, where the story is more important than the actual puzzle. Its not as interactive taking out many of the key component seen in The Dark Decent. However, without these components the player is more focused on the story rather than trying to find more oil, and I assume that is what the creators of the game was going for. This game differs being that its more of a Edgar Allen Poe kind of fear, which is far more profound rather than skin chilling scary. I can't say the main story line of Machine for Pigs was as scary, but I did enjoy the poetic beauty of the game and the environment. The game definitely leaves you thinking, although the puzzles aren't as challenging, the connection for the character and player are more synchronized. I would definitely like to see another Amnesia, but with more of a combination between Dark Decent and Machine for Pigs. Expand
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    Fantastic game, with very powerful and memorable moments. The critique that the gameplay is not very challenging is fair, you should really approach this game as an interactive movie and take the time to soak in all the little details and get immersed. If you want to sink in a man's personal purgatory you won't be disappointed.

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed and too simple, that is a fair critique too. There are reveals, but not really any big twists. The beauty of the story is the elaboration and exploration of what you initially suspect, and by the time you see you already know.

I can't recommend it enough, really. It is a brilliant work.
  45. Jul 8, 2014
    This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0?This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0? Fine. I'll give this game a 10, just to counter your ridiculous belief on how a game "should" be. Expand
  46. Nov 3, 2014
    It has no the same horror of the first game, bot it still good, the story is macabre and disturbing, is the story of a guy than deep into a depression, and the enemies are so disturbing
  47. Sep 11, 2013

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]