• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.7

1. Dec 17, 2014
    This game... It is one of the only games to ever fill me with a sense of dread, And I LOVED it! Every single second! The ambiance, The sounds and lighting all work together to leave you wanting to stop but you just can't! The ONLY reason I didn't give a 10 is because the game IS rather linear and the graphics are pretty dated but that is to be expected of an indie publisher. BUY IT NOW!
  2. Dec 4, 2014
    Psychological survivor horror at its best! Creepy, scary, frightening and the developers really know the human nature. It's not one of those full of cheap jump scares it takes advantage of the human weakness.

Amnesia has pretty good graphics (but not top-notch), excellent sound effects, fantastic music by Mikko Tarmia. You can interact with many objects to make the feel more genuine.

You will always feel like someone or something is following you. It will wreck your nerves and when you think you are in safe, something bad will happen. It has a great lovecraftian story (with 3 different endings), nice voice acting and compared to that it was made by a small game developer team, it is better than the most of the AAA horror titles.

The game was release in 2010, but it's still great and it has a Custom Story mode, which allows modders to create their own stories and even total conversion mods.
  3. Dec 3, 2014
    After playing it for 22 hours I must warn you. Some of the challenges strain you, and will stress you out when you are being chased while trying to solve a puzzle. That is the beauty of the game, it pushes your mind, races your hear, and crushes you when you get cocky. 10/10
  4. Nov 18, 2014
    I wanted to like this game. I saw the "reaction" trailers which made it look deliriously scary. I read about how it was the "most frightening game ever made." I sat down with great anticipation and...ugh. Slow. Monotonous. Poor graphics. Little investment in the storyline. I couldn't finish it.
  5. Nov 14, 2014
    Holy **** what is that in the water?! Storytelling, mood and the total fear of the unknown elevate this game to a definite place in history. Admittedly, I truely enjoyed this game solely because of the fact that it followed the recipe of the psychological horror story (in a Silent Hill sort of way) The main connection between this IP and the Silent Hill series is the continualHoly **** what is that in the water?! Storytelling, mood and the total fear of the unknown elevate this game to a definite place in history. Admittedly, I truely enjoyed this game solely because of the fact that it followed the recipe of the psychological horror story (in a Silent Hill sort of way) The main connection between this IP and the Silent Hill series is the continual psyschological anguish that follows the player all the way through the experience.

Of course, the IP differs greatly from the Silent Hill series. First thing, of course is that it is not in the third person, but the first. Also, a person cannot actually defend themself against the horrors of the gameworld which in a (at the time of release) really fresh way introduces a new game mechanic. The inablility to defend, attack or in any way fight the monstrosities that one faces introduce a truely different experience never encountered in gaming.

For these accomplishments this game always remain a true benchmark in all future horror game experiences. Bravo.
  6. Oct 27, 2014
    vewy scawy it scawes panties of of me. me **** meself when me paways it, me is scawed of getin dewem of big mouze monistowr chacing me threw place in me homes. me lyke ze game cuse me is scawed in game ze gave me, me is vewy good revivng gamez cuse me ony 4 and me englash is god top ze lane and yu is jally of me englash skalls. tank yu for rading me revieu of vawy god game cuse me vawy godvewy scawy it scawes panties of of me. me **** meself when me paways it, me is scawed of getin dewem of big mouze monistowr chacing me threw place in me homes. me lyke ze game cuse me is scawed in game ze gave me, me is vewy good revivng gamez cuse me ony 4 and me englash is god top ze lane and yu is jally of me englash skalls. tank yu for rading me revieu of vawy god game cuse me vawy god reviving. tank yu agan for laking my vawy god reviu. tank yu vewy mach, ma lave ya vawy mach. godbuy Expand
  7. Oct 16, 2014
    Refined old-fashioned horror for the discerning gentleman. This is the quintessential 'haunted castle' experience. Scary enough, but in a restrained way, without as much depravity as some other horror games. Pacing is deliberately slow and focuses more on the suspense and what you hear around the corner. No other game manages to make me feel so helpless - you can't fight, you can only hideRefined old-fashioned horror for the discerning gentleman. This is the quintessential 'haunted castle' experience. Scary enough, but in a restrained way, without as much depravity as some other horror games. Pacing is deliberately slow and focuses more on the suspense and what you hear around the corner. No other game manages to make me feel so helpless - you can't fight, you can only hide or run. The controls are refreshingly simple and work very well. The graphics and level design are a bit mediocre, and gameplay may lack a bit of variety, which prevents it from being truly great. Still, I can easily recommend this. The mod scene is one of the best around, with some great single-player custom stories that compete with the base game for quality. Expand
  8. Oct 13, 2014
    The best horror game ever made without a doubt. This game was not only one of the scariest games ive ever played, but is also a fantastic survival experience. The sounds and music are brilliant and contributed greatly to building the tension and kept me tense throughout the entire game( amnesia even won awards for it's audio and technical excellence at the 2011 independent gamesThe best horror game ever made without a doubt. This game was not only one of the scariest games ive ever played, but is also a fantastic survival experience. The sounds and music are brilliant and contributed greatly to building the tension and kept me tense throughout the entire game( amnesia even won awards for it's audio and technical excellence at the 2011 independent games festival). The atmosphere is as pure as it gets, from the dimly lit hallways to the dark underground cells, every little noise will have you jumping by the end, especially with the game's fantastic attention to detail on many levels. There are also custom stories that can keep the games appeal alive even after it's complete ( some of which are amazing and i would have payed money for). Terrifying, unique and one of the most immersive experiences you'll ever have Amnesia the Dark Descent is a must play for anyone even remotely interested in horror Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2014
    From the first loading screen to the conclusion of the story, this game is absolutely terrifying. A stressful, and at times a downright unpleasant experience. Which is surely what we want from a survival horror? This is without a doubt the best horror game I've ever played, with a lovely story that has the richness and depth of a novel. I would have liked to have some replay value in it,From the first loading screen to the conclusion of the story, this game is absolutely terrifying. A stressful, and at times a downright unpleasant experience. Which is surely what we want from a survival horror? This is without a doubt the best horror game I've ever played, with a lovely story that has the richness and depth of a novel. I would have liked to have some replay value in it, but, I suppose you can't expect that from an interactive story. That's the only reason this doesn't get a perfect 10. Expand
  10. Sep 26, 2014
    Sin duda alguna, uno de los mejores juegos de terror del año, te hace sentirte como si estuvieras dentro, es asombroso. Se lo recomiendo a todos, (la única forma de que no te guste, es que tengas miedo)
  11. Sep 8, 2014
    This game is pure intensity and scary **** It gives you so much tension that you just can't wait to finish the game, but it is so difficult and takes so long, that you are definitely not going to finish this in one day without a walkthrough. It gives you the frightening feeling to just get the hell out of wherever you are end everything. It gives you the hesitation to just look around aThis game is pure intensity and scary **** It gives you so much tension that you just can't wait to finish the game, but it is so difficult and takes so long, that you are definitely not going to finish this in one day without a walkthrough. It gives you the frightening feeling to just get the hell out of wherever you are end everything. It gives you the hesitation to just look around a corner, open a door, or turn on your lantern in a pitch black room. Continuation in this game is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do. It's so frightening and uncomfortable, that moving through the game is slow, which makes it even worse. Expand
  12. Jul 31, 2014
    Hype doesn't lie here. Truly one of the scariest gaming experience you can get. Work with fear, dread, light, building up tension and atmosphere works amazingly well in this game. One of the best gaming horrors of the last decade. 9/10
  13. Jun 22, 2014
    A great horror game, has several interesting things like sanity, which also hindering the game makes the player has a greater connection with the setting, the game is also the puzzles, and the puzzles are beautifully drawn, inventory serves to hold the items that most of them, you will use the puzzles, it also has an interesting history.
  14. Jun 7, 2014
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent has an extremely compelling storyline, wonderful sound design, and custom story option which will make the game last for months. Aside from the perfect psychological scares this game can create, the music score is composed perfectly to fit with the rich architecture of Castle Brennenburg, gameplay makes this a completely new experience for horror fans, and anAmnesia: The Dark Descent has an extremely compelling storyline, wonderful sound design, and custom story option which will make the game last for months. Aside from the perfect psychological scares this game can create, the music score is composed perfectly to fit with the rich architecture of Castle Brennenburg, gameplay makes this a completely new experience for horror fans, and an amazing story that will leave you thinking... Must-buy, 10/10. Perfect game. Expand
  15. May 30, 2014
    so much detail was put into this game to appeal to every sense of fear a person has. the atmosphere is chilling and dark, no where feels safe and when you have to run, you do not want to look back. I don't know what makes the monsters so scary, but let me tell you, playing the game and watching a video on youtube is a totally different story. I don't think its the scariest game I've everso much detail was put into this game to appeal to every sense of fear a person has. the atmosphere is chilling and dark, no where feels safe and when you have to run, you do not want to look back. I don't know what makes the monsters so scary, but let me tell you, playing the game and watching a video on youtube is a totally different story. I don't think its the scariest game I've ever played, but definitely the most consistently scary, there is not a second in this game where I was just able to run down a hall all willy nilly without checking behind my back. the story is quite creative, but just isn't portrayed in the most appealing way, I never wanted to read any of the notes or journal writings after the first two or so, which unfortunately are sometimes needed to figure certain puzzles. although I did feel scared when nothing was actually happening... there still wasn't anything happening, which made some of the places that are free of monsters feel pretty boring, but the parts where there are monsters totally make up for it. a must play game for any horror or pc gamers, you will not be disappointed, it is very short though, took me just over 4 in a half hours to beat Expand
  16. May 15, 2014
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.
    Although if your into games that scare the everliving crap out of you then this is definitely a game you want.
  17. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    One of the FEW games that can scary your *** off. It's near perfect but it's too long, also the levels feel the same after 75% of the experience. A MUST PLAY.
  18. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely terrifying. This is one of the scariest games I have ever played.

I was immediately scared by the atmosphere and the sound. When the door opened by itself at the start, I immediately quit the game. Later I went back to it. I encountered my first monster shortly after that. I was about to jump out and try to attack it, but then I remembered. You have run, hide or die. That is just one of the amazing things about this game.

The story was amazing. I loved the way I had to piece the story together throughout the game. About Alexander and Brennenburg. About Daniel and the orb. It all fit together perfectly into a masterpiece: Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

You are put into this castle. As Daniel, who has no recollection of his past. You are just a normal person. No guns, swords or any sort of weapon. The sanity effect, the lantern, the laudanum, the tinderboxes, the puzzles, just everything. It all works.

A horror game is supposed to horrify you. And that's exactly what Frictional Games did with this masterpiece.

I highly recommend Amnesia: The Dark Descent to anyone who is considering to buy this game.
  19. Apr 11, 2014
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a great horror game that has an interesting story, runs well, and has HARD puzzles. Probably because I'm bad at puzzles. Anyway the thing that really makes this game is the soundtrack and the custom levels. The best custom levels (basically the best things in the game) (oh and also in order from best to 5th best) are Amnesia: Destiny Rebellion, The Small HorseAmnesia: The Dark Descent is a great horror game that has an interesting story, runs well, and has HARD puzzles. Probably because I'm bad at puzzles. Anyway the thing that really makes this game is the soundtrack and the custom levels. The best custom levels (basically the best things in the game) (oh and also in order from best to 5th best) are Amnesia: Destiny Rebellion, The Small Horse Series, A Late Night Drink, White Night, and Laughing In The Darkness. Yeah so those are my personal favorite custom stories in the game (that I have played obviously) in order. Amnesia is the best horror game around (80% of Amnesia being the best horror game comes from the custom stories) and it is worth your time. Unless if you're not good with puzzles, because I'm not. However I still made it through (just barely) and I would rate this game a 7/8 Expand
  20. Apr 5, 2014
    I decided to submit a new review of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The first time I played through the game, I couldn't even make it through a half hour of the game I thought it was so awful. After having a friend tell me it gets better after about an hour in, I gave it another shot and I eventually beat the game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a 'survival horror' exploration game. I use the

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a 'survival horror' exploration game. I use the term survival horror loosely because besides walking around or running there is very little survival elements to the game. As much as I try to understand it, I can't figure out what makes this game so popular or how people can become so terrified of it, I never found the game remotely scary in the least.

As you begin the game, you will find yourself in a castle of sorts, you've lost your memory and you need to find out where you are and a way out of the castle. During the entire game you'll never leave the castle and almost at all times, all of the game environments looks similar. A dark, spooky castle, you can tell rooms have actually be reused. After awhile it becomes very tedious.

As you progress through the game, you'll remember bits of your memory or find old journals, revealing more of the story. I'll be frank, the story is not unique, it's not witty, the writing is very dry, slow paced and clichéd. I never once found myself interested or engrossed in the story.

I tried my best to become engrossed in the game, I played in a dark room, I used a 3D surround sound headset, but more times then not, I often found things that actually pulled me out of the game. To begin with, there are common sense things in the game that the developers ignored. For example, you can light candles in a room, but you can't actually carry them. Why can't you carry the candles? The only reason I can think of is because it breaks the core mechanics of the game and the need for light. And that isn't a good reason. Developers should have enough hindsight to know what players are thinking or what they may try to do in a game and work with that. They could have easily figured candles into the game's equation, they simply refused to.

During my time with the game, I experienced issues with the sound, which is a really great way to break immersion. For example; there may be water dripping and if I face it, I will hear it, if I turn away from it, the sound is suddenly gone, it doesn't even fade away. This is NOT an issue with my hardware as this isn't something I encounter on a day to day basis, this is explicitly a problem with the game and it's sound engine.

While a survival horror game would surely encourage exploration, this game does not. It's fairly straight forward and basically forces you into the direction it wants you to go, either with monsters, puzzles or blocked off paths. The lack of different environments makes the game stagnate almost immediately.

Speaking of Monsters, the monsters are terribly designed, in most cases you either won't see them due to darkness, or they are simply invisible. When you finally do get a chance to see some of the monsters in the game, they are lack luster at best with terrible, outdated character models. Their AI is terrible and the easiest way to avoid them is simply run off a distance into a dark corner and look at the floor. After playing the game for a bit, you can actually begin to predict monster attacks to the point where you can actually avoid a majority of monsters. As a matter of fact, in the last part of the game you can literally just run past all of them.

The puzzles presented in the game are simple, easy and predictable. I actually found myself rolling my eyes at some of the puzzles in the game.

This game is not new, it's not fresh and it's not unique. From a technical standpoint it's way below average and for a game that would most likely rely heavily on writing, it has a terrible story line. Anyone claiming to be terrorized by this game is either a eight year old girl or severely mentally challenged.
  21. Mar 14, 2014
    Great gameplay. Perfect designs. Dark creepy atmosphere. I really liked that game, but the most thing you do is searching lockers for matches and oil.
  22. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan . JAPAN SCAWWY Expand
  23. Feb 15, 2014
    Terrifying yet captivating. Would be itching to play a session, and in a few seconds suddenly find the desire to hit save and run to the desktop to hide!

A must play.
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    This game is just so great! When you start this game it's not so scary but when you have played it for about 1 hour the monsters start coming... And they're horrifying. Puzzles in this game were pretty good and monsters scare the **** out of you.
  25. Jan 22, 2014
    Es la primera vez que juego un juego de survival/terror en pc y mas en primera persona. Lo mejor del juego es la ambientación, se salen, esta genial, estas constantemente en tensión y no sabes desde donde puede venir el siguiente peligro. El problema es que jamás ha llegado a asustarme ni meterme miedo. El sonido también es un gran punto a favor, a pesar de no estar doblado, la música delEs la primera vez que juego un juego de survival/terror en pc y mas en primera persona. Lo mejor del juego es la ambientación, se salen, esta genial, estas constantemente en tensión y no sabes desde donde puede venir el siguiente peligro. El problema es que jamás ha llegado a asustarme ni meterme miedo. El sonido también es un gran punto a favor, a pesar de no estar doblado, la música del juego es espeluznante. Pero no todo lo del juego es oro, lo que menos me ha gustado ha sido la trama, no he terminado de entenderla muy bien y tiene bastantes flecos, no me ha llegado a enganchar y la trama para mi es fundamental porque el juego me ha parecido muy aburrido, y el otro punto negativo que le veo al juego es que no puedes jugarlo con mando, para alguien que no esta acostumbrado a jugar con ratón y teclado (me incluyo yo) puede llegar a ser frustrante jugar.... En conclusión es un gran juego de suspense (no de terror) pero que no me ha llegado a dejar con buen sabor de boca...esperaba algo mas. Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    An amazing horror game, that is absolutely drowning in atmosphere, with lots of little sounds and details that make it come alive like not much games have ever done. It can tell a great story without compromising on the physics- and puzzle-based gameplay. It makes an original setting massively scary and dangerous in ways other than pointless violence and action. An absolute must-play forAn amazing horror game, that is absolutely drowning in atmosphere, with lots of little sounds and details that make it come alive like not much games have ever done. It can tell a great story without compromising on the physics- and puzzle-based gameplay. It makes an original setting massively scary and dangerous in ways other than pointless violence and action. An absolute must-play for any real horror-fan! Expand
  27. Jan 8, 2014
    This is undoubtedly the best horror game I have ever played. It is--in my opinion--so horrifying not just because of the whole you-can't-fight-the-monsters-with-unhinged-jaws thing, but because of how deliciously creepy the whole environment is. There's a perfect mix of fear and calm; some of the rooms are so quiet and beautiful you tense up even more, expecting something to break theThis is undoubtedly the best horror game I have ever played. It is--in my opinion--so horrifying not just because of the whole you-can't-fight-the-monsters-with-unhinged-jaws thing, but because of how deliciously creepy the whole environment is. There's a perfect mix of fear and calm; some of the rooms are so quiet and beautiful you tense up even more, expecting something to break the peace.

To those who say this game is boring, my condolences to you, your lack of imagination must make life really dull. The fear in this game comes from knowing what *could* happen, sometimes what you know *will* happen, and the sheer terror of not knowing when you'll have to face it.

I'm not a horror person at all, but let me tell you that the bravest people I know have literally walked out of the room after playing this game for 20 minutes. I play it in broad daylight on a tinyass laptop screen with just speakers, no headphones, and still want to piss myself.

Buy this game. It's every PC's bucket list.
  28. Jan 6, 2014
    A terrifying experience from start to finish. This is definitely Frictional's best work so far. The atmosphere that's instilled by the setting is terrifying and is aided by great implementation of spooky sound effects. Level design is solid and the game's pacing is great. Amnesia makes sure to never overload you with scares so that you become desensitized, but also never lets up as youA terrifying experience from start to finish. This is definitely Frictional's best work so far. The atmosphere that's instilled by the setting is terrifying and is aided by great implementation of spooky sound effects. Level design is solid and the game's pacing is great. Amnesia makes sure to never overload you with scares so that you become desensitized, but also never lets up as you endure a constant sense of tension and suspense.

Visuals are average at best though, and while the story has some nice ideas behind it, the delivery could've been better. Frictional Games themselves emphasize that a game's story should be told through player interaction, but in Amnesia's case, it's told predominantly through flashbacks and diary entries, where missing just a few can create gaps in the game's story. Another criticism is the enemy's AI which becomes predictable after several encounters.
  29. Jan 6, 2014
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The king of all survival horror. There's really not much more to rant about, so here's a pro/con list.

PROS -Fantastic Atmosphere/Story -Great Pacing/Game-Play/Puzzles -Great UI/Screen effects -Fantastic Environments (with a good variety) -Godly sound design, maybe the best I've ever seen in a game -Several of the most memorable sequences in gaming

PROS
    -Fantastic Atmosphere/Story
    -Great Pacing/Game-Play/Puzzles
    -Great UI/Screen effects
    -Fantastic Environments (with a good variety)
    -Godly sound design, maybe the best I've ever seen in a game
    -Several of the most memorable sequences in gaming history
    -Disturbing, chilling, frightening, and downright scary

CONS
    -Very few enemy designs, which means encounters get stale toward the end
    -Light engine is questionable; there is no global illumination (or a faked alternative) when lighting candles or torches, which typically produces a cone of light with no interaction with the environment. I say this because lighting a torch should make a whole room visible. Instead, it just lights a section of it while leaving the rest totally pitch black
    -Fairly intensive compared to the average PC game, probably because of the physics engine
  30. Jan 4, 2014
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent sets an example for other horror games that are around or being made. It defines the definition of the word 'horror' compared to some other apparent horror titles like Resident Evil 6.

Amnesia is such a good horror game, not because of the graphics or gameplay, it is because of the immersion. If you've played this game with earphones or a proper headset it enhances the experience. The design of the game and the background noises combined create an eerie and terrifying experience, even without the monsters in the game. Amnesia relies on your imagination to create the horror rather than the scripted sequences, which in my opinion creates a real horror game.

Compared to Frictional Games' previous trilogy 'Penumbra' in which you could defend yourself with shovels, pickaxes etc, in Amnesia the game focuses on you using wit over weaponry, forcing you to hide from monsters rather than fight. This feature is always good to see as because you have NOTHING at all, you feel defenseless so you must focus more on strategy.

Once you encounter a monster its very easy to get scared and lose focus very quickly, the way they look, sound and move is enough to scare even the toughest players. In these parts of the game I've been focused during the puzzles, then I encounter a monster, swear loudly, and completely lose sense of direction. These moments in the game test your focus and sanity, seeing if you are calm or shaky when encountering your fears.

Overall, Amnesia is a great horror game. If you compare it to Outlast, this would be just as good, maybe even a little better at times. If you aren't impressed with the new mainstream horror games like Dead Space 3 or Resident Evil 6, buy Amnesia for an immersive, realistic horror experience, and see what it truly means to be scared.
  31. Dec 29, 2013
    Fine game, but I enjoyed Penumbra so much more.
    .....................................................................................................
  32. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitelly this is the scariest game i've played. I dont give a 10 because the end is not according whit the game and the part of the agrippa is not scary. For the rest i can say is the best game of the last times. You must play it.
  33. Dec 13, 2013
    Absolutely terrifying, I love it. Easily one of the hardest and scariest horror games out there. Amazing graphics, horrifying enemies, and a powerful sense of suspense every single minute.
  34. Dec 13, 2013
    Frightening, mind-boggling, dark gameplay along with the intense storyline makes the entire game soooo freaking interesting- like a book you are reading, although you cant ever seem to put it down- it clings to your thoughts as you roam the halls of the ancient castle, solving mysteries and experiencing new scares. (BAZILLION)/ 10 stars

You, and every single living soul you confer with,

You, and every single living soul you confer with, should own this amazing game!
  35. Dec 1, 2013
    I like this game, and even though the graphics are not polished; which might have been dev intentional, I still think it's presentation is admirable. It does a decent job of setting mood and pace. A visceral sense of danger is represented quite well and you notice the effect of environment; however there is a lot that could of been polished and while I enjoy it's current state it needed aI like this game, and even though the graphics are not polished; which might have been dev intentional, I still think it's presentation is admirable. It does a decent job of setting mood and pace. A visceral sense of danger is represented quite well and you notice the effect of environment; however there is a lot that could of been polished and while I enjoy it's current state it needed a lot more puzzles and more tweaking in the control department. For a cheap set of thrills as low budget game...yes; for a full retail price categorized game....NO!

Horror fans can enjoy, but FPSer's might reconsider as this is not fast paced or even paced at a mediocre rate.

8 out of 10 for overall presentation, -2 from perfect for unpolished visuals and lack of intriguing puzzles and lack of replayabilty. There is a lot of room for a perfect game here, but leaving out any tool for combat is WRONG...for one if I or anyone in that as a real life scenario is gonna grab a EFFing tool; be it chair, rock, candlestick to use as a weapon. Not being able to fight back to some degree is improbable. Using makeshift tools as weapons is what a good horror game is about.
  36. Nov 30, 2013
    You'll wish you had amnesia so you could forget you ever bought this game. Either that or bring coffee, lots and lots of coffee. It is so boring you will be snoozing with out a huge dose of stimulant. If you look poking around in the dark or shadows clicking away endlessly at "who-knows what", then you could like that game. There's no mystery here, just things that are not easy to findYou'll wish you had amnesia so you could forget you ever bought this game. Either that or bring coffee, lots and lots of coffee. It is so boring you will be snoozing with out a huge dose of stimulant. If you look poking around in the dark or shadows clicking away endlessly at "who-knows what", then you could like that game. There's no mystery here, just things that are not easy to find nor necessarily logical. Good luck finding those hours you'll lose wasted on this game. Expand
  37. Nov 18, 2013
    Old castle, things that go bump in the night and a lot of other general weirdness, but not really that scary. Playing it on and off it fails to grab my attention for long. Games mechanics make no sense, you have to collect tinder boxes to light candles, but you can't carry the candles or candles sticks? The Lantern burns out ridiculously fast. I could kill for a glow stick out of Penumbra,Old castle, things that go bump in the night and a lot of other general weirdness, but not really that scary. Playing it on and off it fails to grab my attention for long. Games mechanics make no sense, you have to collect tinder boxes to light candles, but you can't carry the candles or candles sticks? The Lantern burns out ridiculously fast. I could kill for a glow stick out of Penumbra, buts its the wrong era. Trapped in a area painstakingly build a way out have to reenter the area missing an item, The area has reset so I have to do all painstaking building a wayout all over again. Seriously devs way to troll a gamer. Expand
  38. Nov 17, 2013
    This is the most amazing horror game ever The story line is very interesting and you cant stand of computer because you are very interested what will happen next! Monsters are well designed and very scary! And at last thing that i liked the most in Amnesia... Custom Stories!!! You can play on a map which is made by another person So this is the best scary game ever!
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    You get as much out of this game as you put in, allowing yourself to become fully immersed to experience the best play through you can experience. How every the voice acting of the main character, Daniel held this game back for me. Completely average and out of place, every time I picked up a note from Daniels diary i felt like i was being taken too far out of the game.
    However the
    However the atmosphere outweighed this and makes it only a minor complaint.
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    I would rate it higher but it's too scary to get through. I'm liking it so far except for the fact that there is no direct, you have to wander until you somehow solve a puzzle.
  41. Nov 2, 2013
    Best horror game I've ever played. The atmosphere, the suspense, the feeling of being absolutely helpless, the balancing between light and dark and the storytelling worked wonders for me.
  42. Oct 13, 2013
    A horror game that is ACTUALLY scary.... I mean REALLY scary... allow yourself to be immersed and then terrified and be stunned that a level that was essentially a platformer became a stress inducing terror.
  43. Oct 4, 2013
    Amnesia is a amazing horror game that has creative monsters and atmosphere. story puts you in the shoes of Daniel who must stop an old man from covering the world in darkness unable to fight off the monsters you must hide from them. you are scared even before you get a glimpse and when the music starts playing your heart pounds in the game and out play with the lights off for the bestAmnesia is a amazing horror game that has creative monsters and atmosphere. story puts you in the shoes of Daniel who must stop an old man from covering the world in darkness unable to fight off the monsters you must hide from them. you are scared even before you get a glimpse and when the music starts playing your heart pounds in the game and out play with the lights off for the best experience and remember to keep your door closed you cant sleep after playing this amazing game. a cool thing you can do f your creative is create a custom story with a editor and share with the world. do you think you have what it takes you can purches this game on steam or the website. I give this game a amazing 10/10 Expand
  44. Sep 19, 2013
    One of the best horror games made in this year. It's tension keeps you occupied and keeps the terror high up for the rest of the game. What? Too scared too play?
  45. Sep 16, 2013
    This is far and away the most terrifying piece of media I've ever encountered. No movie, book, TV show, or other game can match the terror of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Every detail from music, voice acting, plot elements, and puzzle solving has been meticulously crafted to scare the player to death. For its artistic merits alone I've recommended it to literally everybody I know!This is far and away the most terrifying piece of media I've ever encountered. No movie, book, TV show, or other game can match the terror of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Every detail from music, voice acting, plot elements, and puzzle solving has been meticulously crafted to scare the player to death. For its artistic merits alone I've recommended it to literally everybody I know!

This is one of the best games I've played in years! If you haven't at least tried it, you're missing out!
  46. Sep 12, 2013
    I love this game the bad thing about Horrors these days is there rubbish and there more just shot the monsters and your done i wouldn't call them Horrors but Amnesia: The Dark Descent shows us how Horrors should be done by keep making me change my trousers but its not just all horror it has puzzle aspects as well what makes it more fun to play, while i was playing it i would freak out andI love this game the bad thing about Horrors these days is there rubbish and there more just shot the monsters and your done i wouldn't call them Horrors but Amnesia: The Dark Descent shows us how Horrors should be done by keep making me change my trousers but its not just all horror it has puzzle aspects as well what makes it more fun to play, while i was playing it i would freak out and sound like im constipated it was just the sounds and the feel of the castle that you are walking around in you always feel like your being watched but what trips the insanity off is... well you can lose your sanity you do this by staying in the dark to long or looking at one of the monsters to long what this will do is make your character harder to control your screen go a bit blurry and sometimes you see random monsters that are not there and they will change you down aka the poofers also your lantern can run out of oil so you have to keep on the look out for that while staying out of the dark and avoiding monsters Expand
  47. Sep 7, 2013
    One of the best horror games I have played so far. Even when your nowhere near the enemy, the feeling of being hunted is always there. Love the mechanics of the game, and what makes it even better is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. I am only part way through the game but I feel that this game definitely deserves an 9/10.
  48. Sep 5, 2013
    I used to play this game with my brother. He moved. I don't play it anymore because I'm too scared to play by myself. For this, the game gets a 10. I have not been too scared to play a game by myself since Silent Hill 2. By the way, I only put in 3 hours of gameplay. Still too scared.
  49. Sep 4, 2013
    VERY OVERRATED GAME. I'll get the good out of the way, it looks nice enough, good sound design, and downright great physics which it takes advantage of in puzzles (some that are good, others that are not). The story was boring and not exactly told to you in best of ways. Your character is silent because pffft hiring a voice actor would cost money, you can't fight the monsters only runVERY OVERRATED GAME. I'll get the good out of the way, it looks nice enough, good sound design, and downright great physics which it takes advantage of in puzzles (some that are good, others that are not). The story was boring and not exactly told to you in best of ways. Your character is silent because pffft hiring a voice actor would cost money, you can't fight the monsters only run because fending for yourself is overrated real gamers/people run from their problems. Some enemies can't actually be seen because they felt like being lazy and then the big scary monster looks downright awful and not frightening in the slightest. I laughed my ass of the first time I got a look at him. Finally, it's not scary. Yeah I realize some might disagree and yeah what scares one person may not scare another but I really didn't find this game scary. It really reminds me of Slender Man, another overrated "horror" game: both are only frightening to people who either scare easily or haven't seen many horror movies or played many horror videogames. As someone who has played and seen many horror movies and videogames, Amnesia was nothing spectacular in my opinion. Expand
  50. Sep 4, 2013
    I cant play this game alone. Really i cant. I am 29 years old and i have to play with someone or with the lights on. I have to keep pausing it or throw my headphones off. After playing this game i can safely say that no film can scare me as this has raised the bar.
  51. Sep 1, 2013
    A truly scary games okay the graphics are not so good and it sometimes gets a bit predictable when a enemy spawned outside the room you finished a puzzle in. but the way you are always running and hiding makes you feel very weak. Unlike say Doom 3 or System Shock 2 which are very atmospheric games but since you have a lot of heavy weapons you aren't scared so buy it off steam and play itA truly scary games okay the graphics are not so good and it sometimes gets a bit predictable when a enemy spawned outside the room you finished a puzzle in. but the way you are always running and hiding makes you feel very weak. Unlike say Doom 3 or System Shock 2 which are very atmospheric games but since you have a lot of heavy weapons you aren't scared so buy it off steam and play it with the lights off and the volume up with a headphones Expand
  52. Aug 20, 2013
    Do you want a really scare game? Here you have one.
    Buy a new pair of pants too.
    Incredible game, you can't kill your foes, you can just run, hide, and dont stare at them or you will die of fear! Some puzzle are tricky, story is awesomely strange and interesting at the same time. The environment is so dark and you almost feel you are inside this creepy castle! Can't wait for the next
    Do you want a really scare game? Here you have one.
    Buy a new pair of pants too.
    Can't wait for the next chapter!!
    Surely in the top 5 of the games I played!
  53. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fear is an understatement when I played this game. As soon as the opening music begins on the main menu, chills went up and down my spine. I had never experienced anything like that in a video game before. This game is the definition of fear. Every time you look around a corner or open up a door your heart begins to pound and you pray that there isn't something there to kill you. The atmosphere of this game is phenomenal. Whether you're in the ornate hallways of the living quarters, or the dark and shrill jail cells, or even to the sewers, every place this adventure leads you to provides a new and horrifying view to each one. The story line flows fluently through each of the settings with exceptional voice acting. The physics in the game engine are a masterpiece considering this is an older game. The way a tinderbox would roll out when you open a door, it feels like real life. Someone who does not like horror games probably wouldn't enjoy this game though. It took me a long time to get used to the constant fear and paranoia for me to finally complete it. All in all though, this game is expertly crafted and easily deserves a 10/10 for being one of the best horror games to ever be released. Now the sequel, "A Machine For Pigs," arrives September 10th, 2013 and I will instantly purchase it. Expand
  54. Aug 18, 2013
    Played through the game numerous times, trying to find every little detail and trigger to create something new. Checked every corner and looked at every detail on paintings in the game. I think this game is very well made and the background story is purely genius. I love hiding from monsters, the pure darkness and clever puzzles this game has. I sometimes also check out some customPlayed through the game numerous times, trying to find every little detail and trigger to create something new. Checked every corner and looked at every detail on paintings in the game. I think this game is very well made and the background story is purely genius. I love hiding from monsters, the pure darkness and clever puzzles this game has. I sometimes also check out some custom stories, but they're not the same. I am looking forward to the sequel as well, for it promises things I am very familiar with. Expand
  55. Aug 12, 2013
    I did like the game very much. The storyline, puzzles and atmosphere was very well done. Graphics could have been improved, though. What I liked most is playing some of the mods. There are some fantastic free mods out there!
  56. Aug 9, 2013
    The best horror game I have played since Silent Hill 2. This game has truly mastered what makes a game scary, the atmosphere and complete helplessness of your character really hammers it in. The story is also very interesting until the ending where I think it fell flat.
  57. Jul 29, 2013
    An interesting game for a while, but i dropped it after a few hours (at the invisible boss). It does give the feeling of fear sure. Unfortunately it's low-budget nature shows pretty soon. There is just locks and keys. You proceed from one lock to another. I know, this is the standard of the genre, it's just that today's games use more varied locks something that a low-budget game justAn interesting game for a while, but i dropped it after a few hours (at the invisible boss). It does give the feeling of fear sure. Unfortunately it's low-budget nature shows pretty soon. There is just locks and keys. You proceed from one lock to another. I know, this is the standard of the genre, it's just that today's games use more varied locks something that a low-budget game just couldn't afford.
    The invisible boss requires you to jump too accurately and run too fast. After a few times dying I didn't see why I should frustrate myself further. But it was fun at start, so 7/10.
  58. Jul 26, 2013
    You can of course watch some of the famous let's plays of this..... but it won't be the same. Play it with lights off, headsets, and volume turned up. This game does it's job perfectly. Not for the faint-hearted.
  59. Jul 23, 2013
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a very unique and enjoyable gaming experience. Right up until the last hour or two of playtime, that is. Before then it's creepy and atmospheric: you'll find yourself nervously looking around corners, jumping at sudden noises, and yelling as invisible demons chase you through tunnels, smashing doors that you throw closed behind you. There are a smattering ofAmnesia: The Dark Descent is a very unique and enjoyable gaming experience. Right up until the last hour or two of playtime, that is. Before then it's creepy and atmospheric: you'll find yourself nervously looking around corners, jumping at sudden noises, and yelling as invisible demons chase you through tunnels, smashing doors that you throw closed behind you. There are a smattering of old school adventure game elements to contend with, but the puzzles are all easy and don't detract from the experience. This changes towards the end. The puzzles start to take center stage and there are long stretches of wandering around, scanning the floor for items to pick up, pulling levers, and randomly trying to combine inventory elements. Granted, it never gets as unintuitive as Sierra or LucasArts games did, but it is a letdown given how intense the game was up until that point.

And the ending is so, so lame.

Amnesia: TDD is well worth experiencing for the first half alone, but overall it doesn't live up to its potential. I'm looking forward to seeing if the upcoming Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is able to correct these flaws and deliver a more cohesive experience.
  60. Jul 17, 2013
    Not as scary as I anticipated, but the music and sound really adds a lot to Amnesia. Brilliant storyline and quite fun gameplay, Amnesia will keep you entertained for hours on end no doubt!
  61. Jun 26, 2013
    Dark and gritty survival horror game. With well thought out level design this game creates an awesome chilling atmosphere that really makes the player feel like their in the horror or the game.
    Never have I played a game like this, Well worth the asking price.
  62. Jun 25, 2013
    Horror games have never really scared me. Typically, they all followed the same patter: suspense followed by jump scare. After a while, they just didn't seem too scary anymore. Thinking that I would be able to handle it, I started playing Amnesia. Boy was I wrong.

Simply put, Amnesia: the Dark Descent is the scariest game I've ever played. Everything from the chilling atmosphere to amazing sound design helped to make this one of the freakiest experiences I've ever had in a game.

Nothing is quite as scary as hearing a noise, hiding in a closet for dear life only then to be assaulted by a hideous monster. It's a feeling of terror that I haven't had with any other game, one that makes the hair rise on the back of my neck

The only issue with this game are the graphics, which aren't bad. They're just somewhat outdated.

If you like being terrorized, be sure to pick this one up.
  63. Jun 25, 2013
    I was not scared by Dead Space or Silent Hill: Homecoming. I was not even remotely scared by Resident Evil 5 or 6. Condemned: CO and Condemned 2: Bloodshot had maybe 4 or 5 creepy spots. There are not really any horror games anymore.

Well, Amnesia is a real survival horror game. It's the first game to actually make me nervous and keep me nervous since I was 9 years old. You'll fear the dark, you'll fear the little grubs that hide in shadows, and you'll fear the scratching noise behind your eyes. Most of all, you'll be scared the moment you realize that you literally don't know if something is right behind you.

As if Amnesia isn't good enough, it's moddable and allows players to create their own stories. There's a ton of fan-made content online.

This is everything a survival horror fan could want in a game...
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    This game sets the bar for all horror games for decades to come. This game dwarfs Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. Besides the alluring environment, the creepy atmosphere of the game will keep you on your toes. I had heard of how scary this game was so when I first began playing it I was overly expectant of something to pop out at me. Finally, after not seeing anything scaryThis game sets the bar for all horror games for decades to come. This game dwarfs Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. Besides the alluring environment, the creepy atmosphere of the game will keep you on your toes. I had heard of how scary this game was so when I first began playing it I was overly expectant of something to pop out at me. Finally, after not seeing anything scary for a level or two I let my guard down, and boy, did I pay the price. This game has its jump scares but it has no need to rely on that; this game is a psychological horror. The moment you're expecting to turn a corner and find a monster lurking there, naturally, it won't be there. The monsters aren't the most terrifying things in the world once you've seen them up close for awhile, but they still managed to get my heart racing and elicit a sense of urgency when they appear from the shadows.

The story in this game is another riveting aspect of it. Daniel's journey through Brennenburg is one of self-discovery. Notes written by Daniel in a pre-psychotic time provide a wonderful backstory as to Daniel's motives for his vendetta and the lore of Brennenburg's history.

Amnesia is a game to be immersed in; not won. None of the 4 possible endings to the game offers a definitive sense of victory, only one of appeasement; accomplishing your goal. Some ignorant people may denounce this game because of a lack of action, story, etc. but that's part of the experience. Sure, games like Dead Space and Resident Evil are more action driven, but I think that takes away from the horror of the game. Moreover, The past few entires in those series haven't been as scary and more shooters than survival horror games. Amnesia as no weapon, your main method of defense is running and hiding from monsters.

All in all, Amnesia is one of the best games to have arrived in recent years. It sets the precedent for what all survival horror games should strive to hope to achieve. That's not to say I want to play a carbon-copy of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but basic innovations on the concepts introduced in Amnesia could create an enthralling masterpiece that goes down in video game history as the scariest game ever. as it stands now, Amnesia has clearly owned that title.
  65. Jun 2, 2013
    Amnesia: the Dark Descent is an enjoyable game. While it doesn't offer anything new to the horror genre it doesn't take anything away either. What it does do is offer an excellent gaming experience though a rather short, and easy one. Clocking in my finish of the main game (as there are two side stories) in just over 9 hours Amnesia is short, and the difficulty of the puzzles isAmnesia: the Dark Descent is an enjoyable game. While it doesn't offer anything new to the horror genre it doesn't take anything away either. What it does do is offer an excellent gaming experience though a rather short, and easy one. Clocking in my finish of the main game (as there are two side stories) in just over 9 hours Amnesia is short, and the difficulty of the puzzles is beginner. There was only one moment I stuck on for more than a few minutes and I was never lost and never wondering what I should do next. And while this game doesn't add anything new...puzzles, story, etc has pretty much all been done before, and in some cases better...what is does it does very well. The game looks great graphically, it's old castle setting is perfect. Atmosphere and level design is spot on in most places, and the games pacing works and flows naturally. Gameplay is also smooth and I didn't encounter any bugs and the interface is simple, clean, and effective. But what about scares? There's enough to go around but the game isn't filled to the brim with jump scares or lots of creature encounters. Amnesia uses the "less is more" concept almost perfectly though some things could have used just a little bit more. Creature design is excellent, truly nightmare spawning creatures born of evil. This is where I think the game could have used a bit more. Being a game of non-combat, you don't fight anything here, once you learn the "trick" of surviving creatures lose much of their threatening presence save for a couple of instance or where you make a mental mistake because otherwise the creatures become nothing more than a visual presence in the game. There are notable exceptions, but they they could have had a few more in my opinion. What Amnesia does best though is starting you off in a dark foreboding fashion and building on that foreboding as you progress in the game. Each area is generally darker and creepier than the last, and in some cases more beautiful. All in all this game presents a very solid entry level adventure/horror game. Experienced gamers won't find any challenge but everyone will find a grand old castle filled with mystery, scares, horrific creatures, and a boat load of fun. Expand
  66. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the scariest games i ever played. It dosnt have a combat system so your only chance for survival is to run and hide which makes the game a lot more scary. You never feel safe. It got a scary atmospher and it works. It also has a good story line. Some scary dark places and scary monsters there will give you nightmares. Short said everything is scary. And then there is something special that made me keep playing for a long time. You can go to websides like: MODDB and download costum maps made by other players. And there is a LOT! You can also take your time and make your own costum map. It is a great and scary game. I would wish that there was more different monsters because you get tired of the same monsters every time. But the good thing is that you can make your own monsters if you make your own custom map and there is some people that did that very well. The graphics could have been better but i won't take the game down for that because it don't need it. It is nearly perfect as it is. Trust me on this one. This game will play with your sanity and it will scare you. Expand
  67. May 26, 2013
    Unlike most games, Amnesia isn't one with predictable, dumb scares, but instead well crafted ones. The story is hard to follow, but that's the only real complaint. It really is Survival Horror themed, and has a Stealth element too as hiding from monsters is not optional. The realism is a bit too realistic, as you lose "Sanity" by staring at a monster or being in the dark, when really, theUnlike most games, Amnesia isn't one with predictable, dumb scares, but instead well crafted ones. The story is hard to follow, but that's the only real complaint. It really is Survival Horror themed, and has a Stealth element too as hiding from monsters is not optional. The realism is a bit too realistic, as you lose "Sanity" by staring at a monster or being in the dark, when really, the character isn't losing the sanity at these parts but the Player is. When you do lose your Sanity, you pass out, which can be annoying but adds a Strategic Feel. Puzzles are well-done and not too cryptic, monsters each have a different personality, etc. Buy it, its only £12.99 on Steam currently. Expand
  68. May 22, 2013
    Is Amnesia the best horror game ever made? Sadly that answer is no. But it is da*n good and worth a spot in the top 5. The games atmosphere not only sets up the best experience for this game, but uses lighting, sound, and suspense in some of the best ways possible in a horror game. You cant kill what is hunting you and you'll be having insane amounts of fun while also being terrified outIs Amnesia the best horror game ever made? Sadly that answer is no. But it is da*n good and worth a spot in the top 5. The games atmosphere not only sets up the best experience for this game, but uses lighting, sound, and suspense in some of the best ways possible in a horror game. You cant kill what is hunting you and you'll be having insane amounts of fun while also being terrified out of your mind. Again, not the scariest game ever made but it is one of the best horror games. Expand
  69. May 18, 2013
    There are two common comments that need to be struck down here. One, this is not some boring point and click escape game. The people who say it is just an escape game were too scared to actually get to the good parts of the game and never really passed the "tutorial stage". Also, for those comparing it to Dead Space, how could you possibly think this game would be like Dead Space? It isThere are two common comments that need to be struck down here. One, this is not some boring point and click escape game. The people who say it is just an escape game were too scared to actually get to the good parts of the game and never really passed the "tutorial stage". Also, for those comparing it to Dead Space, how could you possibly think this game would be like Dead Space? It is not an action or shooter game, the way you survive is by using your wits and hiding. It is very fun, you will be scared half the time, and the other half you will be running from the thing that was previously scaring you. The suspense in this game is amazing. Expand
  70. May 18, 2013
    When you tell me about "Survival Horror" and name games like Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill Homecoming, etc. I can only be disappointed. This game did its job well. It still is my favorite Horror-Game. The graphics are pretty well for an indie-game and the story is fun, too. But the best thing about this game is its atmosphere. You never feel safe, when you play it.
    I can't wait for the
    I can't wait for the second Amnesia. I hope it will be at least as good as this one.
  71. May 11, 2013
    Very good peace of work. I love it very fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun game. It is not like dead space at all; you can't kill your enemies and that's what's so fun about it. It tells you at first just have fun and kind of "go" into the world of Amnesia. GENIUS! It is the perfect way to get into the game. And when I bought this I bought it at night, so I played till like what? 11:30Very good peace of work. I love it very fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun game. It is not like dead space at all; you can't kill your enemies and that's what's so fun about it. It tells you at first just have fun and kind of "go" into the world of Amnesia. GENIUS! It is the perfect way to get into the game. And when I bought this I bought it at night, so I played till like what? 11:30 maybe, and I couldn't go to sleep later. So got up and played again. VERY addicting game. The only reason is why I am only giving it 9/10 is because the sanity drains like crazy. I put my lantern down for 2 seconds and it starts wigging out and 10 seconds later my dude's about to pass out or die or something. Expand
  72. May 4, 2013
    An amazing game that truly shows what a true survival horror is all about, and it offers something that no previous survival has offered to date, an utterly useless protagonist. Even in the best examples of the genre, the tension gets watered down by an unusually strong protagonist with nerves of steel and armed to the teeth.......... it's hard to get scared when you're controlling theAn amazing game that truly shows what a true survival horror is all about, and it offers something that no previous survival has offered to date, an utterly useless protagonist. Even in the best examples of the genre, the tension gets watered down by an unusually strong protagonist with nerves of steel and armed to the teeth.......... it's hard to get scared when you're controlling the equivalent to bruce willis, even in silent hill where you're suposed to control an average joe, he suddenly gets the ability to wield any concievable firearm out of the blue. Amnesia finally does things right, he puts you in the shoes of a normal, frightened, vulnerable and harmless man, caught in supernatural circumstances that he can't fully understand. He shivers, pants, and tries to give comfort to himself every now and then, while crouching helpless in a corner....... just what any of us would do in such case scenario.

The only complain I have for the game is the enemy variety, both brutes and grunts move and act the same, it would've been interesting to see additional enemies with diferent reactions to how you move and interact with the enviroment; a perfect example of this is the invisible thing at the beggining of the game. In any case this is a one of a kind experience, a true return of survival horrors and something that shouldn't be missed.
  73. Apr 29, 2013
    Le jeux est magnifique! ses sure qu'il y avais quelque bug dans les mure mais pour un jeux fait par un petit groupe! il est ultra bon! moi je vous dit jouer avec sa vaux la pane! si tu aime les jeux d'horreur ses un peux jeux a jouer pour le commencement!
  74. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is definitely one of the high points of the survival-horror genre. However, before playing it, you should know what to expect; if you're expecting something more similar to Dead Space 2 out of this, you will have a bad time. It's not that kind of horror game. Gameplay isn't all that great, maybe 7/10, but the intense atmosphere makes up for it. Amazing sound, good (not too good,This game is definitely one of the high points of the survival-horror genre. However, before playing it, you should know what to expect; if you're expecting something more similar to Dead Space 2 out of this, you will have a bad time. It's not that kind of horror game. Gameplay isn't all that great, maybe 7/10, but the intense atmosphere makes up for it. Amazing sound, good (not too good, but more than enough) graphics...

There's quite a lot of difference between Amnesia and most horror games, the main one I see being monster density. Monsters aren't very common. This is partially justified by your lack of self defense, but the real beauty in this is that you never really stop being scared of them. So instead of a lot of shootable monsters, you get a few very dangerous and terrifying ones.

Now, "A few monsters" isn't really enough to keep the scares going. Amnesia solves this problem in an ingenious way. With the creepy ambience, the constant tiny creaks from the foundation, and even the illusory footsteps Daniel hears when low on sanity, you genuinely never feel completely safe. Aside from the tendency to encounter monsters while backtracking after grabbing an important item, it's pretty danm hard to predict where one will show up.

Anyway, the point of the game is to make the player feel as scared as possible. So, don't play to win, play it just for the sake of being scared.
  75. Apr 2, 2013
    More an experience than a video game. And a really amazing experience at that. The cult classic really delivers with its atmosphere and feel, which suck you in in minutes.

The vast amount of custom stories ensures hours of entertainment beyond the main story. As a downside it can sometimes be difficult to get your room lighting right for playing. Amnesia is a game that can be

Amnesia is a game that can be pulled from the shelf many times and it has the same chilling charm every time.
  76. Mar 16, 2013
    This is a great, terrifying game. To make sure you get the full effect, play it in a dark room and don't watch anyone playing it on youtube until you have. Try to do it all on your own. If you're unsure about a puzzle, try to think of the simplest way to solve it and avoid backtracking, usually the solution is very close to the problem. If you get lost, (which can happen, especially in theThis is a great, terrifying game. To make sure you get the full effect, play it in a dark room and don't watch anyone playing it on youtube until you have. Try to do it all on your own. If you're unsure about a puzzle, try to think of the simplest way to solve it and avoid backtracking, usually the solution is very close to the problem. If you get lost, (which can happen, especially in the prison) try drawing a basic map. There are maps online, but they mark where things happen and contain spoilers, which take away from the effect. If you want to quit at the beginning because you don't think it's scary, keep playing; there will be times later on when you will be running for your life, and other times when you refuse to move because there's a monster a few feet away and it hasn't noticed you yet but who knows when it will... Basically, if you want to enjoy it, just take it seriously. Get into it, and see if you can play through the whole game without dying. And one last note, don't quit because you're too scared at certain parts. Man up and keep playing. Expand
  77. Mar 9, 2013
    Amnesia unlike most horror games brought an entirely new entity to Horror Games. Being complete vulnerable to enemy attacks, with the only defence of running and hiding in an eery castle complex in 1839 makes this a lot more fun! With only a lantern and a limited supply of oil, Frictional Games surely know how to keep on scaring people! 9/10
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    This game scares me like no other. You can't fight back, so your best bet is to avoid the monsters whenever possible, and run like hell when you can't. It's an eerie on-edge feeling punctuated with adrenaline-rush moments. The story is quite captivating; sometimes I wish the game weren't quite so good at scaring me so I could get through the story more quickly.
  79. Feb 28, 2013
    The Singleplayer is not very appealing to me. With custom stories a maybe very scary and funny adventure.
  80. Feb 24, 2013
    On my opinion, i found Amnesia the dark descent horrifying... I got to be honest with you, Amnesia made me feel fear. I never played a game like this. Frictional games did here a master piece
    The monsters are not very scary but the suspance... Just the soundtrack of the game is amazing! Did you knew that each object in Amnesia has its own sound? And the felling of being hunted, defence less and above all vulnerable makes you scared. Very scared. But amnesia put a lot of afford on the atmosphere. The light sources are few so you have to walk into the darkness a lot of times.
    The story could be a little better. Its is good but not perfect. I found myself bored of reading all those notes. I belive this game is awesome to fans of horror and im really willing to play Machine for Pigs
  81. Feb 22, 2013
    Amnesia: the dark descent is a well crafted experience that manages to pull off something that a lot of games fail to do these days, and that is atmosphere. By keeping the gameplay and interface very simple, one is much more easily drawn into the world. And it is the first game I've played in a very long time that has actually succeeded in scaring me. I was skeptical at first that it couldAmnesia: the dark descent is a well crafted experience that manages to pull off something that a lot of games fail to do these days, and that is atmosphere. By keeping the gameplay and interface very simple, one is much more easily drawn into the world. And it is the first game I've played in a very long time that has actually succeeded in scaring me. I was skeptical at first that it could have such an effect on my all but dead emotions, but the first time I was being chased by a creature, thought I'd outrun it, then turned around to see it right behind me, I very nearly wet myself. Some reviewers will often say that the monsters were not scary because, if you watched them closely, their behaviour was predictable and they were easy to avoid. But if you can sit back and enjoy a game without having to test the engine's every weak point, then this game should scare you. If you were the kind of kid who pulled the beard off the mall santa, then it probably won't. But if you're a cynic who can't suspend a little disbelief every now and then, then I don't see how any game could scare you. (And for that matter, feel free to suspend a little disbelief on the matter of not being able to pick up candles. It serves the gameplay. Just accept it.)
    All this is not to say that the game is perfect there are a few items on which the game falls down. Firstly, the level design occasionally feels a little samey. It's not nearly as bad as the endless repeating corridors in the likes of Eye of the Beholder, but it is a little like that. Also the voice acting is a little painful to listen to at times. I wish I could say that it's below par, but in the gaming industry this is probably better than average. [slight spoiler alert] In particular the voice of Agrippa fails. Here's this weird, creepy undead dude missing his jaw hanging from a chain, and he sounds like a jolly fat guy with rosey cheeks wearing lederhosen and playing the accordion [spoiler over].
    These, mostly minor, complaints aside, Amnesia: the Dark Descent is a great game. The story is interesting and very well researched (look up the Brazen Bull for example), and the attention to detail was for the most part spot on. Atmosphere, immersion and tension are excellent, and the game goes for just long enough to not overstay its welcome. And most of all it's a stand out, iconic title with some true innovation amidst a pool of samey, tepid drivel.
  82. Feb 13, 2013
    Behold immersion through sensory deprivation! As paradoxical as the previous sentence may seems, I'd suggest that's exactly what Amnesia succeeded to achieve. The game's premise is that you are alone, chased by a living nightmare from which you can only hide from. Being completely vulnerable, you constantly keep you ears open for some unknown sound, being in the dark, relying on the frailBehold immersion through sensory deprivation! As paradoxical as the previous sentence may seems, I'd suggest that's exactly what Amnesia succeeded to achieve. The game's premise is that you are alone, chased by a living nightmare from which you can only hide from. Being completely vulnerable, you constantly keep you ears open for some unknown sound, being in the dark, relying on the frail light of your lantern, you keep scrutinizing for somewhere to hide or for some way to escape through and being on the verge of sanity, your heart keeps pounding, your breathing gets heavier: the immersion begins. Soon, you learn that your only way out of this nightmare is only forward, deeper where all the horrors come from. All this, makes Amnesia a game you'll never forget (no freakin pun intended) if only for the atmosphere it creates. Aside from keeping your head cool, progressing in Amnesia requires you to solve puzzles and obstacles, most of which are logical and well integrated. In all, this makes it one of the best game-play experience I've had in some years.

Technically, the graphics are very decent (not even considering that it's an indie production) but where the game shines most is perhaps in it's sound effects which are greatly responsible for the realistic feeling of this game.

I'm not aware of much games in the style of Amnesia but in the end, if you liked it, I strongly suggest you try Miasmata.
  83. Feb 13, 2013
    This is a great game. While it did not scare me, because it's not my thing, I was amazed at how well the story was written, how astounding the music was, how developed the characters were and how challenging some of the puzzles were. Looking forward to the sequel.
  84. Feb 7, 2013
    The only game out there that will literally make u shiver in fear. Close the door, turn off the lights, get your headphones, and prepare to pee your pants.
  85. Feb 2, 2013
    Story original. Graphisms correct. The ambiance is intense and frightening as said. You walk in the darkness and have to care about your health and mental. A good product. Don't hesitate on that title
  86. Jan 13, 2013
    This has to be one of the most atmospheric games I have ever endured to play in my life. You've got a squid-looking guy walking around, making your swallow your tongue, and watching your heart drop through your intestines. It is amazingly scary. People think this game is "trash", and it's "not scary", play it once. We'll see if your mind changes. The game itself is horrifying, but I wishThis has to be one of the most atmospheric games I have ever endured to play in my life. You've got a squid-looking guy walking around, making your swallow your tongue, and watching your heart drop through your intestines. It is amazingly scary. People think this game is "trash", and it's "not scary", play it once. We'll see if your mind changes. The game itself is horrifying, but I wish there was more to it. There needs to be something there that just sparks your mind and makes the game better than it already its, on this one though I am going to have to score it good overall. Not recommended for players that get easily scared though. This is one of the most highly recommended games I have for you. Expand
  87. Jan 3, 2013
    I have never been more scared. That's all you need to know. Love the setting, the audio is absolutely phenomenal, the pacing is precise. What's not to like about this game?
  88. Jan 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly terrifying game that is only rivaled by the other series made by this company, Penumbra. Unlike most horror games, this one focuses less on "monsters jumping from the closet" scares and is chock full of psychological and moral horror. Even without the literal monsters, the plot is full of human monsters; torture, human sacrifices, black magic and sorcery make the game reek of evil. The immersive sound design and well-implemented screen & graphical effects feed the fear of being cornered by other worldly monsters and human abominations. Without any weapons to fight back, this is a genuine "survival horror" game that you should pick up and lose sleep over. Expand
  89. Dec 21, 2012
    Atmospheric and creepy for a while...then it gets boring. There's something that really breaks immersion for me. You can't fight at all. You can't even shove things away when you get close. You can't pick up any sort of weapon despite passing dozens of reasonable objects like shovels and knives. This leads to a problem. All the monsters have to be lame enough that you can just walk awayAtmospheric and creepy for a while...then it gets boring. There's something that really breaks immersion for me. You can't fight at all. You can't even shove things away when you get close. You can't pick up any sort of weapon despite passing dozens of reasonable objects like shovels and knives. This leads to a problem. All the monsters have to be lame enough that you can just walk away from them. The sense of danger just goes out the window once you figure out the game mechanics. A "Horror" game isn't scary once you realize you are literally no danger whatsoever for 90% of the play time. It's not terrifying, it's a fun-house ride. Complete with blinking lights and people making "OOOoooooo" noises from around corners.

If you really try to get immersed in it, I guess it could be a pretty creepy experience. But it's not a all that great as a GAME. Which is a pity, because it's been quite a while since we had a horror game that was both fun to play and actually scary. We might have to go all the way back to System Shock 2 in 1999. Although i suppose F.E.A.R. or Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth might be honorable mentions.
  90. Dec 6, 2012
    This game feels like an Edgar Allen Poe piece. Its extremely dark and thoughtful in feel... And I was disappointed it finally ended. With so many things done right, its hard to believe such a small group created this creative masterpiece.
  91. Nov 28, 2012
    This Game has a amazing and fightening Atmosphere. The Graphics are a little bit old, but the Colors and Lightning are perfect. Its so horrorfying to walk through the dark corridors, because you dont have any weapon. The Puzzles make fun, but the Gameplay and the Story could be better.
  92. Nov 27, 2012
    I love this game... The atmosphere is incredible, and the fact that you can't kill the monsters and you actually have to run or hide, is amazing. I really like it. Also, hearing weird noises gives an incredible feeling. I actually congratulates the creators of this game because it's fun to play this game and freak out.
  93. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is scary as hell, but is fantastically scripted. The AI is amazing and this is the only game you can get a true fear feeling in. Excellent graphics, especially shadows. Also, it has a well written and intriguing storyline. Has some very minor bugs, which do not effect the game. I would go as far to say this is the most frightening game EVER created.
  94. Nov 17, 2012
    I was about to purchase this game based on reputation @Metacritic alone and boy, am I glad they offer a demo on Steam. I didn't even finish the demo because it is hardly scary. Granted, the audio may be superb but this feature is completely diminished by the fact that the graphics and level design appear to be based on something that was contrived in the very early 2000s. One could compareI was about to purchase this game based on reputation @Metacritic alone and boy, am I glad they offer a demo on Steam. I didn't even finish the demo because it is hardly scary. Granted, the audio may be superb but this feature is completely diminished by the fact that the graphics and level design appear to be based on something that was contrived in the very early 2000s. One could compare its quality to be part way between Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me and I wonder, how this can be received with such a high degree of professional appraisal (Metascore of 85).

Sure, there are games that look like crap an are extremely popular, such as Minecraft. But, in very stark contrast to Amnesia, the Minecraft experience does not thrive on ambience and immersion.

Considering the fact, that the vast majority of human cognitive perception is based on visual stimuli, I am having a very hard time understanding why anyone with a trained I could give this horror-flick a 100% on a professional review without constant fear of having you credibility on the line...YES, I am looking at you Gamecritics & Gamernode! wtf?
  95. Nov 13, 2012
    Because I am not human and therefor lack human emotions, I am unable to become physically "scared". But, this game has more presence in that department than any game I have played. More please!
  96. Nov 1, 2012
    very random game, cant mention anything special.
    you walk arround and solve more or less obvious puzzles.
    graphics look a bit old, the sounds are ok, it has some basic physic effects. a weird story... if you find this game scary you might should take a look in a dictionary for the definition of this word. a ingrown toenail is a lot more scary than this. when its on sale buy it
    very random game, cant mention anything special.
    you walk arround and solve more or less obvious puzzles.

when its on sale buy it only if you are really bored, the regular price of 15
  97. Oct 31, 2012
    Have you ever played Myst? And kno Bioshock was the best game of all time? Puzzle games totally suck because they totally forget what the word "logic" means. "Scary" movies haven't scared you since you were a child. Sooo Amnesia has all of that. This is a really great game. The only way you can't get scared by it is by thinking you're way too cool and you keep your guard up. Way, way up.Have you ever played Myst? And kno Bioshock was the best game of all time? Puzzle games totally suck because they totally forget what the word "logic" means. "Scary" movies haven't scared you since you were a child. Sooo Amnesia has all of that. This is a really great game. The only way you can't get scared by it is by thinking you're way too cool and you keep your guard up. Way, way up. In which case, you're only ruining the fun for yourself. Put on headphones, play in the dark. Lose yourself. The sound is amazing, which is critical to terror. Monsters, on a technical scale are only ehh, but when you combine it with the rest of the game, become horrifying poetry. There is also some of the deepest story I have ever encountered, and I only really like to play games with a ton of story. It's more like you're playing a book, but it feels like a movie you're directing... and suffering. You will not get a better form of Art in most modern AAA titles. I just got this for $5 on Steam, and I wish I could donate more to the company if I could. Personally I kinda wanna give it a 9 only because I really suck at puzzles, but compared to 99% of other digital titles, this game is an 11 out of 10 Expand
  98. Oct 26, 2012
    This game really does deserve the title of "World's Scariest Game". After playing the game for about ten to twenty minutes, I was wondering "Is this it?" and to be honest I wanted to backhand them for making a crapy game and calling it scary. I couldn't have been more wrong, the game absolutely scared me. I have never played a game that instilled fear into me like this: fear radiatedThis game really does deserve the title of "World's Scariest Game". After playing the game for about ten to twenty minutes, I was wondering "Is this it?" and to be honest I wanted to backhand them for making a crapy game and calling it scary. I couldn't have been more wrong, the game absolutely scared me. I have never played a game that instilled fear into me like this: fear radiated through my body, the rush of adrenaline, heart pounding, jumping at every groan, splash of water and almost any other sound.

Okay, the downside, the graphics weren't the best, but the detail and architecture really did create the perfect mood for the game. Excellent use of sound all throughout the game; I did turn my volume down to zero to see what the game was like without the sound and to be honest, it was really calm, so well done on the sound effect. The plot was average, it was fitting of the mood though and it didn't need an awesome plot to be scary. I really liked the idea of being harmless, although I did try to pick up a chair and wave it around madly trying to fight off that horrible zombie thing. One thing that disappointed me, was the I could jump up onto a desk or a pile of rocks and the zombie couldn't get to me, it kind of ruined the mood when it was walking into a desk trying to move forward. The camera wobble was a bit annoying, although it did fit into the game, but overall I didn't like it.

In summation, it is a very good game and I enjoyed the scare I got from it; although I wouldn't advise this game for children or anyone who gets nightmares. Apart from that I advise you to play it.
  99. Oct 21, 2012
    It's fun, scary...dark...everything you could ever want, right? Right. Things fly at you from the ceiling, you can hide in dressers, and you have some extreme anxiety issues. Recommended, if you're a fan of scary games. If you read this review, and decided to play it, then played it and died from fright (or the fact that the game is pure awesome), I am not responsible.
  100. Aug 12, 2011
    The most intense and immersive game in recent memory. Throughout this entire game, terror and suspense had me edging constantly through the world, carefully managing my lantern and tinder supply, and apprehensively peering around corners into pitch black darkness hoping nothing was waiting for me ahead. That is, until I realized how easy it was to dodge monsters. The reason I only rateThe most intense and immersive game in recent memory. Throughout this entire game, terror and suspense had me edging constantly through the world, carefully managing my lantern and tinder supply, and apprehensively peering around corners into pitch black darkness hoping nothing was waiting for me ahead. That is, until I realized how easy it was to dodge monsters. The reason I only rate it a 5 is because once you figure out the enemy AI and once you understand how to conserve tinder boxes and lamp oil by not lighting every candle you come across, the challenge (and more importantly the terror and anxiety) largely evaporates. If you're cautious, it's super easy to avoid enemies without them ever seeing you even when the game punishes you for being in dark areas near monsters for too long as your sanity drains, vision blurs, and stealth level decreases. Monitoring your sanity does not require you to constantly light your lantern. All you need to is maneuver through natural light sources or light an out of the way candle to rest near. Monster AI and pathing seemed odd. Too often I would be spotted by a monster and forced to duck into a small room with no way out or no place to hide. All I had to do was crouch in a corner near the door. The monster would open the door or bash it in, stand in the door way for a few seconds, and then leave never actually entering the room. After a while, this got really old, and monsters felt more like an annoyance to sit through rather than a threat. Exiting the room into a narrow hallway or dead end with only one way out, the monster simply vanished, no where to be found. I even went so far as to look for trouble, finding no monsters. Monster appearences seemed to me to occur only after steps in a puzzle for a certain location were completed. For example, gaining an item needed to advance or unlocking a door would trigger an event which I would unfailingly avoid through the method described above. The only challenge left in the game were the puzzles themselves which were excellent. They required just enough thought that you felt accomplished solving them and they weren't so difficult as to feel tedious or mind numbing and forced. The pacing and placement of these puzzles was also excellent. The story was also engaging though the three endings leave a lot to be desired. Unlocking the different endings is as simple as reloading save to the final minutes of gameplay. Nothing you do throughout the game affects which ending you will receive - only what you do at the very very end of the game. If you're a horror game fanatic, you'll enjoy this game more than I did. Otherwise, it'll feel like a puzzle game with a half baked stealth mini game of avoiding monsters thrown in the break the flow. Collapse

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.