6.2

1. Apr 30, 2012
    The artwork is minimalistic and uninteresting. The game play mechanics are annoying, awkward, slow, and unintuitive. The repetitiveness in death is only a replacement for actual game content and game play. The puzzles are like chores, and not actually fun or entertaining. Within fifteen minutes you will grasp and understand the small amount of amusement this game offers, while at the sameThe artwork is minimalistic and uninteresting. The game play mechanics are annoying, awkward, slow, and unintuitive. The repetitiveness in death is only a replacement for actual game content and game play. The puzzles are like chores, and not actually fun or entertaining. Within fifteen minutes you will grasp and understand the small amount of amusement this game offers, while at the same time growing tired of playing it with each passing minute. It is a lesson in poor game design and lack of creativity. There are barely any sounds nor music. There is no charm, fun, creativity, nor intrigue. And Yet It Moves is another independent showcasing of what game development should steer clear from. It is a cheap, short, flat, unexciting, unexceptional, deficient attempt at game design. There is nothing to see nor experience here. It is a freeware game disguised with an exorbitant asking price from developers who obviously lack shame and humility. And Yet It Moves is inadequate in every fathomable way, and it exemplifies everything that gaming should not be about. There is no actual game content and no game play. It is self-conceited to make up for all of its failures and shortcomings. Expand
  2. Dec 24, 2011
    I don't see what all the hype is about with this game. The art style deserves points for being unique, but it's unfortunately also rather bland. Gameplay is extremely simple. You can walk left or right, jump, and rotate the direction of gravity (left, right, or 180). The ability to control gravity is not exactly innovate (just for one example, see Yoshi's Universal Gravitation fromI don't see what all the hype is about with this game. The art style deserves points for being unique, but it's unfortunately also rather bland. Gameplay is extremely simple. You can walk left or right, jump, and rotate the direction of gravity (left, right, or 180). The ability to control gravity is not exactly innovate (just for one example, see Yoshi's Universal Gravitation from Nintendo, which came out years ago). The only innovation to the "control gravity" gameplay is that the camera rotates and fall damage is turned on, making the game a slightly dizzying physics puzzle. In addition to not feeling like anything particularly special, the gameplay just feels clunky and annoying. The player character walks like its trudging through a tar pit and the gravity control is just frustrating (not in a "this game is challenging but rewarding" kind of way, but in a "this game often feels like a practical joke on the player" sort of way). I kept playing it because I wanted to know if it got better, but the game eventually reached a point where I would rather stab myself in the eye with a sharpened pencil than play with its gravity gimmick for another minute. This is not on the list of the worst games I have ever played, by any means, but I do think it's a fairly mediocre game and not very deserving of most of the hype it got. I love indie games and want them to succeed as much as the next person, and I know indies gotta eat, but a spade is still a spade. Not a game I would recommend. Expand
  3. Aug 2, 2011
    I got this title in the Humble Bundle 3 and somehow I really dislike it. The main idea is that you can change the direction of gravity to up, down, left, right (visually represented by turning the whole world around). The rest is a standard out of date platformer. GAMEPLAY: You will die quite often. It's a little bit frustrating, but that comes along with this genre. Some of the deathsI got this title in the Humble Bundle 3 and somehow I really dislike it. The main idea is that you can change the direction of gravity to up, down, left, right (visually represented by turning the whole world around). The rest is a standard out of date platformer. GAMEPLAY: You will die quite often. It's a little bit frustrating, but that comes along with this genre. Some of the deaths however are a result of the controls: You can change the gravity-direction in 90 degrees only, the world is then animated by turning, which takes up some time. This feels slow and is simply annoying in a freefall, where you could use it best.
    VISUALS: When I saw the trailer I thought this is some cool artistic style. It is not. The developers wanted to keep it TOO simple. Though there are cave-levels and tree-levels, both look quite similar and lack of variety. The addition of some Monty-Python-esque animals rather feels cheap than funny (as probably intended).
    SOUND: Nothing spectacular. It does its job though. LEVELDESIGN: Some few interesting spots and a lot of "seen before" platforming. The Humble Bundle also includes the game VVVVVV, which is quite similar (instead of jumping you can change the gravity upside-down). That game has a far superior leveldesign and feels much more rewarding despite being much more frustrating and having minimal visuals.
  4. Jun 9, 2012
    Nice indie tittle. Some of the game mechanics, I find, actually hinder the fun you'd have; namely the momentum that throws you in the opposite directing you'd like to go: you'd jump toward a platform hoping that when you revers gravity you will land safely on that platform, but when you do revers gravity, you end up being tossed back in the same direction you came from. It's a small gripeNice indie tittle. Some of the game mechanics, I find, actually hinder the fun you'd have; namely the momentum that throws you in the opposite directing you'd like to go: you'd jump toward a platform hoping that when you revers gravity you will land safely on that platform, but when you do revers gravity, you end up being tossed back in the same direction you came from. It's a small gripe but, like I said, it kills some of the fun.

Graphics aren't totally ugly, but they could be a little more appealing, I suppose.
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    The demo was terrible, so I wouldn`t have bought it, but it was included in a bundle with other games and one day I decided to play through it. It grew on me, despite the clunky and slow controls. The sounds are bad. Graphically-wise, it got better by the end of the game. Level design also got better by the end of the game. I played it a long time ago, so I didn`t play the "new" levelsThe demo was terrible, so I wouldn`t have bought it, but it was included in a bundle with other games and one day I decided to play through it. It grew on me, despite the clunky and slow controls. The sounds are bad. Graphically-wise, it got better by the end of the game. Level design also got better by the end of the game. I played it a long time ago, so I didn`t play the "new" levels that were included more recently. It`s not brilliant, but I had fun with it. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2011
    Pros: casual indie puzzle/platform-er, checkpoints are exactly where you need them to minimize frustration, puzzles are hard enough to make you think a little, and typically force you to try different methods to finish a part.

Cons: graphics are nothing special, soundtrack (or lack thereof) is abysmal. (Luckily the game takes so little processing power, It is very easy to run a media player in the background for your own music.)

Side-note: I review this game independent of its price. If you want to pay $10 (current price on steam) for a simple, no frills indie game, be my guest.
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    You can tell the sound design was not made by professionals. It's a mystery what they were thinking. You can also tell that a lot of hard work went into the levels and the gameplay. At a couple of places it became frustrating and I nearly ragequit, but I played through the game and can say that the levels get a bit more interesting and different toward the end of the game. If you're justYou can tell the sound design was not made by professionals. It's a mystery what they were thinking. You can also tell that a lot of hard work went into the levels and the gameplay. At a couple of places it became frustrating and I nearly ragequit, but I played through the game and can say that the levels get a bit more interesting and different toward the end of the game. If you're just interested to see the design of the game, I recommend just watching bits of a playthrough on Youtube. This game is more fun to witness than to play in many places. Expand
  8. May 18, 2012
    In my opinion, And Yet It Moves is definitely where it belongs. It's not an astonishing game, but it has some nice mechanics which will make you to go further into game. First few chapters are pieces of cake, but later on the game gets harder and harder and that's where I have begun to have fun.
    Graphics are strange and the way you treat them depends a lot on individual likings. I myself didn't pay much attention to the overall picture and focused on the walk through.
    To sum up And Yet It Moves is definitely worth trying as it is available for a real cheap coin and is on par with other decent, not the best though, indie games.
  9. Adam
    Apr 16, 2009
    Zorch! You just died again. Get used to that sound from this game, it's gonna happen a lot. An overall decent indie title, with a very distinctive visual style. Controls are a bit balky and a few of the puzzles can get frustrating - the disintegrating bananas in the "forest" level are especially infuriating. Sound effects and music are a little tedious, too. However, this game is Zorch! You just died again. Get used to that sound from this game, it's gonna happen a lot. An overall decent indie title, with a very distinctive visual style. Controls are a bit balky and a few of the puzzles can get frustrating - the disintegrating bananas in the "forest" level are especially infuriating. Sound effects and music are a little tedious, too. However, this game is still worth a few bucks to download and a few hours of your time, it's definitely a unique experience! Expand
  10. Dec 25, 2011
    Ok game, was hating it on the beginning just kept dying not knowing exactly why.. But once you get the hang of it it's quite fun... Is a casual puzzle/platformer game so remember that while playing and rating... It won't give you the thrill of your life but it will keep you entertained for a while... ,It isn't really frustrating, the level design is good (not too hard or too easy) andOk game, was hating it on the beginning just kept dying not knowing exactly why.. But once you get the hang of it it's quite fun... Is a casual puzzle/platformer game so remember that while playing and rating... It won't give you the thrill of your life but it will keep you entertained for a while... ,It isn't really frustrating, the level design is good (not too hard or too easy) and there are checkpoints quite often. About the graphics.. they're nothing special and don't need to be.
    The soundtrack... is not bad, goes well with the game and actually liked it.
    Lastly... the controls are Ok like I said I kept dying a lot until I got the hang of it and I blamed the controls, but I must say that just because I sucked... As probably everyone else complaining about the controls do.

Overall decent title, I wouldn't pay full 10 bucks price but I got it at a discount and was worth it.
  11. Aug 3, 2013
    Gorgeous and charming as it looks, And Yet It Moves is all about gimmickry.

The Good: Sharp, beautiful art style; interesting concept. The Bad: Uninspired, repetitive and not that well executed. The premise behind And Yet It Moves is an interesting one: rotating a paper collage world around a also-paper character (instead of simply controlling the character directly) until he finds
    Gorgeous and charming as it looks, And Yet It Moves is all about gimmickry.

The Good: Sharp, beautiful art style; interesting concept.
    The Bad: Uninspired, repetitive and not that well executed.

The premise behind And Yet It Moves is an interesting one: rotating a paper collage world around a also-paper character (instead of simply controlling the character directly) until he finds his place back in the landscape by the end of each level. And that premise is beautifully presented with a vivid, almost tactile environment that easily catches your eye from the very beginning. So what's wrong with AYIM?

Well, unfortunately there's enough to break the spell. The game suffers from some repetitive level design, and even when new mechanics are added they aren't always well implemented: some, like the springboard, simply doesn't feel right; others, like using fire, aren't clear enough.

Also, the paper guy is way too fragile--presumable, but much more than any other paper object around him--and he can't stand the slightest change of mind by the player without being squished (that's the sound he makes dying) by gravity. Aside being sluggish, which just adds to the feeling he ultimately denies any dynamics such a core mechanic could suggest.

Even laying a bit on the short side (it can be beaten in less than 3 hours) AYIM can be a dragging experience due to the aforementioned issues. In a way the meat of the game defeats the purpose of some interesting alternative playmodes like Speed Run, Time Trial and Limited Rotations.

Wrapping it up with a reference to indie darlings, And Yet It Moves is a Samorost that demands some platforming precision it wasn't built for in the first place.
  12. Sep 7, 2015
    This is what happens when you have some gimmicky game mechanics and you try to build a whole game around it. Sometimes it works, but often it is not enough and gets boring really fast. Graphics are unusual, but not really pretty and do not attract me to play the game once I close it. So, it is not a bad game, but it's rather mediocre.

1. AYIM is a novel, fun and incredibly infuriating game that will pass the time, just don’t expect it to turn your world upside-down.
  2. Independent, unfamiliar and unknown: And Yet It Moves is the kind of game you rarely ever get to review – and yet I instantly fell in love with the fresh style, interesting concept and funny gameplay. It may not be a high-budget-production, but it’s certainly worth your while and money!
  3. And Yet It Moves is one of those unique titles that only come around once in a while. The 15 dollar price tag may deter a few but competition modes, achievements and a stunning audio-visual experience make the title well worth the price. If nothing else, you’ll be getting a unique and dizzying adventure through this not-so common puzzle platformer.