• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
6.9

1. Nov 19, 2011
    This game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard toThis game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard to manage a game that it will take a long time before developing an overall strategy. If you are into resource management and system creation, then this game is well worth it. The game looks very graphically pretty if you take the time to admire it (you will hardly ever be really zoomed in to see it though). Don't trust the hardware-auto detect for graphics settings, it greatly underestimates your power (auto-set to low, but runs fine when I changed it to high).
    Note: I would not suggest purchasing through the UbiShop. Its download timeframe is short and my anti-virus considers one part to be a trojan (if anyone knows how to add exceptions to Trend Micro, please tell me), so I will likely have to download an ISO if I want to later install it with my key.
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Furistic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on globalFuristic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on global matters, choose a new president for the council, etc. Gameplay is fantastic, sound is overwhelming and campaign is quite interesting. You will find some minor problems such as voice acting doesn't seem to be good and some small typos in the text. However, I'm pretty sure such things will get fixed on future patches. This is a must buy game if you enjoy city management. Congratulations to Blue Byte! Expand
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the developers tried to do was create a world in which you can smoothly mix the two without going overboard on one or the other. They succeeded and created a whole new genre. Rather similar to the old ways of Europa Universalis, this game thrives based on the ways in which society was based. i.e. free trade markets. If you play the infinite type game, which has no end, the game starts you off with minimal resources and a ship. You must colonize an island of your choosing and begin manufacturing goods. Each island has its own unique resources.

The game purposely makes it hard to gain gratuitous amounts of income, unless you know how trading works. When you start producing goods, if you are clever you will produce more than your island requires. By putting these items up for sale, other factions will begin to visit your island and buy these items off you for a decent penny. You could also set up your own trade routes with your own ships and force the process faster. Or if you want to isolate yourself from the other 7 factions that is fine, but you will never get past tier 4 in the tech tree. The point I want to make is that if you want to get the most out of the game you need to open a free market for your island, and trade. This is the way the human race as achieved its standing position in the world: trade. So you say, "Kiwi, trading is fine and all but tell us more about the spotlights and downfalls of the game!". I've been pretty generous with the compliments of this game, so lets talk about its biggest downfall. The campaign...is fun but terrible to go through. The campaign is separated into 3 main missions with sub missions inside each one. Each mission carries over into the next until you go to a new main mission. This is where it gets to be a problem. When I started the game I managed to get through the first two campaign missions just fine. When I got to the final main mission, I got 3 submissions into it and realized my economy was almost irreparable. There was nothing I could do to save it because my income was negative, and I had 0 money. Sure my plants were producing goods, but not enough to sustain my population. The fact is that I slacked on thinking ahead in the first two missions. So I went back through and replayed them, now my economy is top notch and I am set to do the final mission.

On the topic of buildings. Some people say that it's the same buildings over and over, not true. There are multiple looks for each house, and you can rotate the other buildings so you get a different look each time. No city in Anno will be 100% the same unless they tried to do it. The graphics are near flawless and it runs great. I have a normal Dell and it works fantastic. Watching all the production facilities work can be fun for hours. No production facility is the same. The water effects follow superposition of waves, which means you can do interference problems. (I have a degree in physics ^^). I found myself playing with boats in order to recreate Youngs double slit experiment. (It worked more or less if you are wondering). Speaking of time, this game is long. I recently got my first monument finished and I am working on a second. It took 15 hours in a game for me to get a monument up. This can be done much faster! In fact I could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours now. (at least putting the foundation down). The point is, if you do everything right, a monument will be a great and easy addition to your city. But...we don't do everything right so you will end up destroyed quite a bit of houses to get your monument in the right place. (unless you are clever and checked wiki). Difficulty...this game is hard, but it does get easier. Most likely it will take your 5 or 6 games before you are building things efficiently and neatly. Area use is a big property of this game. If you are clever you will use the smallest amount of area for maximum efficiency. Multiplayer...is good but not great. Most people you meet online are German or American. Either are usually willing to play with the other, just don't count on long conversations. The multiplayer is fun! If you manage to get a full map full of people, the possibilities are endless! The core of this game was built around multiplayer! Trade and peace agreements are that much more fun when it's a real person accepting or declining...or declaring war. I give this game a 9 out of 10 for great gameplay, bad campaign.
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    I like this game, although just started. This feels first like an expansion to Anno 1404. But it seems that the complexity has increased for this Anno quite a lot, which I actually prefer. The quality is also remarkable. Just the medieval touch as in earlier Anno is here missing, but after playing for few hours "in the future" you dont care actually, in which universe you're playing. ThisI like this game, although just started. This feels first like an expansion to Anno 1404. But it seems that the complexity has increased for this Anno quite a lot, which I actually prefer. The quality is also remarkable. Just the medieval touch as in earlier Anno is here missing, but after playing for few hours "in the future" you dont care actually, in which universe you're playing. This Anno is a finely crafted product and is very absorbing. Expand
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    Anno 2070 is one of the best city-builders. Of course, the atmosphere is not the same as in other titles like Anno 1404 or 1701, but this game is very complex and the graphics are extremely good. This opens a new era for city-builders. We have the past, now it is time for us to build the future. 10/10
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    A game dedicated for all careful economy and city designers. I prefer it to others such as SimCity or Settlers, as this game has much more content and depth. The graphics and art design are fabulous, the music is a great match, and the whole game has a "relaxing" mood about it. I personally keep coming back to this game after a hard day's work, to expand my island empire and micromanageA game dedicated for all careful economy and city designers. I prefer it to others such as SimCity or Settlers, as this game has much more content and depth. The graphics and art design are fabulous, the music is a great match, and the whole game has a "relaxing" mood about it. I personally keep coming back to this game after a hard day's work, to expand my island empire and micromanage all the trade routes that keep your civilization from collapsing. A true Anno game, but better. Expand
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    Simply amazing game with beautiful graphics and a crazy amount of depth to the gameplay.
    I was not sure how the new setting would be but in the end its a great change for the series.
    If you thought the last Anno games had tons of depth wait till you play the new one! Get ready to put alot of hours into this game, it gets very very addicting! Go pick this game up weither you are a vet of

Go pick this game up weither you are a vet of the Anno series or someone who is brand new, this is one of the best games of 2011, highly reccomended! The campaign is more of a big tutorial that shows you how to play the game, but the real fun starts when you sink your teeth into the sandbox mode. The online is also improved to, so get a mate to play this game with ya!

One more thing, the soundtrack is one of the years best and really fits the feel of this relaxing and entertaining game!
  8. Dec 16, 2011
    This is the best city building game I have ever played. Dont be confused by some of the statements made by fans or advertisers, there is essentially no combat in this game. While there is the ability to build military ships, they do almost nothing, and the game is so heavily geared toward peaceful coexistence that going to war is a practical impossibility. So if you are looking for an RTSThis is the best city building game I have ever played. Dont be confused by some of the statements made by fans or advertisers, there is essentially no combat in this game. While there is the ability to build military ships, they do almost nothing, and the game is so heavily geared toward peaceful coexistence that going to war is a practical impossibility. So if you are looking for an RTS the likes of Startcraft 2, dont even consider this. But if you like city builders, this game is a masterpiece.
    It is very complex. there are 16 different resources necessary to maintain your high level citizens (not to mention the fact that some products require multiple steps of production), and 5-6 building resources, some of which require multiple production resources. It is complex, and yet it still manages to be fairly intuitive. It is a game that is easy to learn, yet hard to master. It is the perfect game for building and maintaining civilizations.
  9. Dec 20, 2011
    I don't usually enjoy games in the simulation category but anno 2070 hooked me, great graphics sound with very approachable and easy to learn mechanics a senate and world council voting system brings a sense of community and bonuses based on player votes the world over and to top it all your "ark" allows enduring bonuses to be carried from one game to another connecting your many empiresI don't usually enjoy games in the simulation category but anno 2070 hooked me, great graphics sound with very approachable and easy to learn mechanics a senate and world council voting system brings a sense of community and bonuses based on player votes the world over and to top it all your "ark" allows enduring bonuses to be carried from one game to another connecting your many empires to each other. Expand
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    What can i say... Iam NOT a anno fan but this version make it even word to play it and discovered everything in this game. The easy single play campaign its more a huge tutorial make the game easy to master or let me sat try to build a "stable city" now this game is all about the sandbox, the continue endless game. I just to good to be true so far i played over 20 hours and still iWhat can i say... Iam NOT a anno fan but this version make it even word to play it and discovered everything in this game. The easy single play campaign its more a huge tutorial make the game easy to master or let me sat try to build a "stable city" now this game is all about the sandbox, the continue endless game. I just to good to be true so far i played over 20 hours and still i discovery more, so this game keeps refreshing it self. My point of view for the none anno fans keep it a try you will be happy iam sure about that one. Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2012
    Like the poster below said, this game will absolutely DEVOUR your time. The game is incredible complex, and the attention to detail is what makes the game one of a kind. So many different kind of supply chains yet the interface allows you to easily keep track of which area you need to work on. A great and worthy successor to Anno 1404!
  12. Jul 13, 2012
    Great game. Good graphics. Fun tech tree. The people rating it low are DRM haters who dont know how to use computers. The rest just aren't very good at playing video games that require alot of skill. Great game 10/10.
  13. Nov 20, 2011
    Great Game! Greetings to all fans! Powerful, beautiful World. The game does not get tired quickly. The creators tried to. This game is a great success. 10/10
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    Love the game, love that its not easy, but not TOO hard. It will keep you guessing and trying new things. I bought it when it came out and didnt mind paying the large $ for it. It is a twist between Civilization and Simcity. If yo uliked both of those games, you will love this.
  15. Dec 26, 2012
    I held off on this because of the 3 activation limit and the DRM issue. I had to give in when it was in the Steam Xmas sale. The activation limit is not a big deal as contacting support gets more activations with no hassle. Purchasing and running through Steam should be enough to take care of the piracy issue without the UPlay layer but there is an offline mode and Steam and UPlay workI held off on this because of the 3 activation limit and the DRM issue. I had to give in when it was in the Steam Xmas sale. The activation limit is not a big deal as contacting support gets more activations with no hassle. Purchasing and running through Steam should be enough to take care of the piracy issue without the UPlay layer but there is an offline mode and Steam and UPlay work fine together. The game itself is wow just amazing as deep and rich as you want it to be and just so addictive. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    I've played this city builder/economic simulator for around 100 hours, now, and STILL it can surprise me. This game is HUGE. It never ends, there's always something new to discover. It has a high learnign curve but after quite a lot of hours of play, things become really interesting and you begin to understand how wide is this game, how differently a mission could be played and differentlyI've played this city builder/economic simulator for around 100 hours, now, and STILL it can surprise me. This game is HUGE. It never ends, there's always something new to discover. It has a high learnign curve but after quite a lot of hours of play, things become really interesting and you begin to understand how wide is this game, how differently a mission could be played and differently things can evolve.
    I've played a lot of missions but quite never reached the end of the production chain. Every game I play has something new, some new feature or mechanic to discover. It is really big, if you look at all the structures and technologies you will have to handle in a late game, you'll be astonished.

I just cannot stop playing it. Great game for any fan of economic management, production chain handling and city building.
  17. Dec 3, 2011
    Underwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspectsUnderwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspects (fully if you wish) of both AND a sub faction! And the truly fun part about it in my opinion is that it's not just about throwing up tons of production buildings and building a massive army to conquer the world... actually, wait... strike that, it can be about that! Or you can balance trade and diplomacy and have allies fight for you. Or not even fight at all!

The touch of balancing an ecosystem at the same time is fantastic! Fantastic in the fact that you don't have to necessarily balance the ecosystem at all if you don't want. Whether you don't mind strip mining an entire land down to bedrock to grab as much resources as possible early on or tactfully balance your production and resources for the long run without having to pickup and move around in search of more is really fun.

This is one of the truly first games I've ever played where the replayability is so high because you can completely tweak the way you play even when your halfway through a game already. This game is well worth it to purchase off the get-go!
  18. Nov 23, 2011
    The game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of properThe game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of proper AI-opponents in continuous play. Instead you only get NPC-type third parties that do expand and interact with you. I'm not yet 100% sure if I like them a bit less or much less than "real" AIs.

Overall I find myself spending hours and hours of time playing this game which should be enough to speak for itself. This game is hardly innovative as almost 90% of the content has been seen in previous Anno-games in some form or another but it is high quality and well refined.
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is beatifully designed to be one of that games that you will never forget, like the first time you play Age of Empires 2 or Simcity. It got wonderful details on everything. Nature looks very good, the buildings are well made and the effects are awesome. The only part wich I dislike on this game it is popularity, online community seem to be not enough, but despite that the game isThis game is beatifully designed to be one of that games that you will never forget, like the first time you play Age of Empires 2 or Simcity. It got wonderful details on everything. Nature looks very good, the buildings are well made and the effects are awesome. The only part wich I dislike on this game it is popularity, online community seem to be not enough, but despite that the game is awesome, If you like strategic or city managing games, this is for you! Expand
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    New to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. JustNew to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. Just fabulous! It is intuitive, easy, and deep as a city builder can get. I suggest you just play Continuous Game rather than the missions. Have fun! Expand
  21. Nov 24, 2011
    Played the game and love it not a single dull moment always active and growing! Can't get enough! Recommend it to all my friends and future ones to come.
  22. Nov 28, 2011
    I made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-playI made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-play will keep you up for hours just like the Civilization series. This is not a traditional RTS game where you can build units really fast and go crush the enemies. It is more than that, and it makes the word 'strategy' more important than ever. Multiplayer is hard because this game takes time, but there is a save and load system that works for multiplayer so you can shoot up a map alone, and then have someone join you later in multiplayer. Please buy this game and support Blue Byte, even though we all know Ubisoft DRM policy is ridiculous. This game is a real gem and I have not seen anything like it before. There are lots of things you can do in the game and lots of NPC's to interact with and lots of special items that you can discover. You will not regret buying this game, because it will makes you really happy when you see your islands fill with bustling futuristic cities, pretty worker robots deliver your goods, and your production buildings busy producing things for your cities. The underwater world is also very pretty and crucial to your nation's development. Everything about this game is great!!! Expand
  23. Dec 2, 2011
    I've only made an account at metacritic to let you know Anno 2070 is a true gem. It is not only looking sexy, but it is also deep, involved and relaxing, at the same time. A perfect remedy to a busy working day. When I play this game, I feel happy, chill and just want to play more. Frankly that's more than enough for me!
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was always looking for many years...
  24. Dec 23, 2011
    I really loved dawn of discovery played for well over 200 hours and i think this one is even better then that..love both factions, if you like anno this one is a well done future version .
  25. Jan 30, 2012
    Re my last post - you would think that the owners of this site would make the score a mandatory field, not just accept that you selected 10, because the top and bottom scores on this ridiculous sliding scale, default to 10!
  26. Dec 5, 2011
    If we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We buildIf we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We build cities, extract resources, improve technology and colonize other islands. We will also build underwater laboratory to extract resources from the seabed, open trade routes with other players, and once colonized other islands, to shift resources from island to island (or as-game, for those who played, you had to move resources from planet to planet). Graphics very beautiful, with buildings and structures very well animated and imaginative. Very interesting that the online community game, in which (in addition to multiplayer) every time we vote for the governor's World, which give different benefits depending on the candidate. Once all players have voted the world, all of the privileges of the governor goderemo winning until the next elections. The campaign is not fabulous, but there still so much fun to do as a free construction. I was likely to buy it, but once I played there are more detached. Outstanding, very special and innovative. Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2011
    Despite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better butDespite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better but still you get that typical Anno-Feeling (ah....I feel home!). Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Patches & add-On(s), hope they won't take too long. With superb graphics, fantastic online features, its a worthy successor of Anno Series. Expand
  28. Dec 7, 2011
    Stunning graphics and even more complex and enjoyable than Anno 1404. Though, I think they should have added another revolutionary element to the game to really make it stand out next to Anno 1404.
    Adding up, an excellent game with amazing graphics that is definetely worth buying!
  29. Dec 29, 2011
    I had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a longI had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a long tutorial. But the game mechanics, the graphics, the message and everything around the game in itself (like voting and statistics and other online functionalities) is awesome. This game easily deserves a 10. Now I wait with great anticipation for an expansion. Expand
  30. Jan 30, 2012
    By far the best game of the Anno Series. I played it since Anno 1604 and i can say that they managed to keep the good things up and fixing the bad. Very good graphics (very detailed) combined with the well known Anno playstyle rounds it up. I was a bit sceptical about the Sci-fi theme but i liked it after all.
    The only con is UBI Soft .. unfortunatly they promote a bunch of pretty good
    The only con is UBI Soft .. unfortunatly they promote a bunch of pretty good games, including this one.
  31. May 11, 2012
    I have gone through and read a lot of reviews on this game before purchasing, and got a good idea what to expect. I'm into simulation RTS games, so I knew this was a good fit for me. With negative reviews in mind, I think that people "dislike" this game because of Ubisoft's launcher and DRM problems. I, however, have not had this problem once. I purchased this game on Steam and it hasI have gone through and read a lot of reviews on this game before purchasing, and got a good idea what to expect. I'm into simulation RTS games, so I knew this was a good fit for me. With negative reviews in mind, I think that people "dislike" this game because of Ubisoft's launcher and DRM problems. I, however, have not had this problem once. I purchased this game on Steam and it has worked wonderfully.

Gameplay:
    Very addicting. As a new player it took a lot of time for me to advance my construction options, but learning the game and that entire process was a thrill for me. After finally mastering one class on a difficult mission with slow, paced progress (30+ hours) I truly began to appreciate how the game operates. After more gameplay, I realized that although many games start with the same set of movements and patterns, the variety of objectives gives a lot of alternative and creativity for how the player can meet the objective.

I see many more hours of gameplay for me, and so far the content released after ship has been worthwhile, as has the mission pack DLC. Because of this, I see my relationship with this game and its developers staying positive and this game remain in my memory as a good one.... as long as the DRM continues to operate for me :)
  32. Apr 26, 2012
    Highly addictive game, will keep you playing for hours in continuous mode!! I would love to give this game 10/10, however there are a few details Ubisoft needs to work on.

1) Larger maps
    2) More selection of merchant and military ships as well as aircraft
    3) Larger islands

Few details, however I think are important in continuous mode. Other than that highly recommended!!
  33. May 22, 2012
    Anno 2070... Are you the kind of player that enjoys a vast experience?

Review Focusing on the gameplay... Multiplayer Review Near The Bottom Of Post... Anno 2070 presents a new twist to an old franchise... They did outstanding with this game.... Aside from the graphics it offers many other great features... Whether you want to create a massive fleet and takeout all who stand in your
    Anno 2070... Are you the kind of player that enjoys a vast experience?

Anno 2070 presents a new twist to an old franchise... They did outstanding with this game.... Aside from the graphics it offers many other great features... Whether you want to create a massive fleet and takeout all who stand in your way, Peacefully coexist in a world where you have it all, or just get all the cool tech **** This game is just plain intriguing. If I had to imagine a world where humans where nearly whiped out due to global warming and were now living on small islands in a sea filled world I would imagine something like anno 2070... So what should you expect if you decide to purchase or continue playing 2070? I would tell you to imagine not only creating, but managing your own empire in very close detail, along the way you will find many great gems such as the Techs. This game demands both time and strategic thinking... This is one of those games where you will only learn by trial and error... HINT: Play your first game out completely... Don't quit when you have learned from some of your mistakes, You should definitely take as much away from game one as possible... Experience all the levels of people you can in game one if possible because if not you will find yourself stopping game two right after you learn your next tier of lessons... Take my word on it... Anyways if your looking for a game that will give you a very nice BANG for your Buck... I would recomend purchasing anno 2070... Not only because it's a great game, but because this is one of those gems every Strategy Gamer should experience in their life... Review Multiplayer:
    From what i have experienced Anno 2070 actually makes you feel like your in a global setting through the senate and global stats. Not only are these things compelling, but they have just added a new game type/mode, Conquest... This takes multi-player to a whole new level... Conquest is in it's beta stages, but is available to all players. The way multiplayer works aside from conquest is you can invite or create an open game where others may join you on the map you have chosen to host. The gameplay doesn't change drastically aside from having somebody in your space that may enjoy racing you to all the islands or blocking off your trading routes... These things make multiplayer a very rich/fresh environment...

Final Thoughts: It's a damn shame that more people aren't grouping up to create a nice english anno 2070 gaming group... If you agree with this then email me... After recieving 10 emails ill reply with a raidcall group id name and you can come in and enjoy speaking with other anno players... Rating: 9/10 -Would have a 10 if the combat was a bit more detailed... It's basically a rock/paper/scissors combat style with a small amount of ships/aircraft/units... Still is very fun although war-type players won't exactly have their hands full it definitely gets the job done... The nukes are nice too =P
  34. Jan 31, 2013
    I have spent over 200 hours playing this game and would never take those hours back. It is visually pleasant, moderately challenging and a joy to see a futuristic civilisation grow and prosper. The fact that there is nothing in the resource production lines that seems remotely impossible really catches me.
  35. May 25, 2014
    This is by far the best world builder I have ever played. I am a big fan of the Anno series as a whole, but this iteration takes the cake. The game play is natural and intuitive for beginners, yet still challenging for experienced players. The engine is brilliant, providing balanced game play throughout and it never crashes, as was the biggest problem with previous iterations of thisThis is by far the best world builder I have ever played. I am a big fan of the Anno series as a whole, but this iteration takes the cake. The game play is natural and intuitive for beginners, yet still challenging for experienced players. The engine is brilliant, providing balanced game play throughout and it never crashes, as was the biggest problem with previous iterations of this series. Lastly, the graphics are magnificent. Even at mid to low quality settings the game's appearance is breath taking. In my hundreds of hours of playing I have probably spent a good 10-12 hours simply admiring what is presented in the game and what is presented. As a manager and aspiring urban planner, I found this game too good to be true. In the best way possible Anno 2070 has become an alternate reality for me and, given my interests, and vastly fulfilling creative outlet for economic management and urban design.

The game is extraordinarily complex. After six months of regular playing I am still learning new facts about the game and discovering things I have never noticed before, e.g.terrain details, interfacing options, commentary and technology. It helps that the developers regularly update and enhance the game. For instance, after having played Anno for about 3 months I noticed that the music was suddenly different. There was an entirely new track that I had never heard before. This was quite refreshing given that my expectation from other games is that you have a 30-60 minute soundtrack on a loop that never changes. As is the theme with all Anno games, the resource supply chains are by far the most intricate element of Anno 2070 except that they are arguably even better than what is in previous versions. Instead of supplying resources for essentially one civilization throughout you can and, at a certain stage of the game, must develop resources for up to 3 distinct civilizations. If you like creating and managing resources this is a game you must try.

A note on DRM. I played Sim City 5 and absolutely hated the DRM used in that game. It was intrusive, poorly planned and poorly executed. Ergo, I am a critic of DRM and generally steer clear of it. However, although many are scathing of the DRM component of this the game, I have found that it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. I would say that it is actually a boon for the game and motivates me to keep on playing given that there are new missions, campaigns and challenges that are regularly offered only because there is a regular internet connection. And, unlike some other games, you can start, play and save this game without an internet connection. Anno 2070 has demonstrated to me that a developer can plan and execute a DRM system that is mutually beneficial for both creator and user. If other game developers adopted Anno's approach the entire issue of DRM would likely diminish into obscurity. Do not be phased about what people say regarding DRM in Anno 2070. It is a reactionary response to the idea of DRM rather than a reflective commentary of how it actually is.

I have played many other games of this type (Civilization, Age of Empires, Tropico, Simcity, Rise of Nations, etc.) but this game exceeds them all insofar as you are motivated to play the game from start to finish. At no point is there a lull in game play or a point where you feel like you have "figured the game out" and it is just boring repetition for the same types of rewards. There is a level of repetition in the game, but it is a meaningful kind of repetition that is goal driven and exciting. This game is certainly not for everyone, but if you are like me and you like to get deeply involved in your gaming experience this is a game you must buy.
  36. Apr 26, 2013
    What an amazing jog from ubi soft. A system so original, with an ambient so unique.
    I love the soundtrack, the graphics is wonderful, imersive. The game holds you for a while.
  37. Oct 23, 2013
    My Opinion *

My Opinion *

Anno is definitely one of the best RTS genre games I have ever set my hands on. The graphics are absolutely stunning, the game size itself is fantastic and the way the game works such as the politics and the ecology is smart as hell. People who think they can pick up this game and instantly build a city of huge size will however be in for a rather large disappointment, this is NOT like other RTS games and you really need to put time, mind and effort into this to actually get somewhere. However, when you get there it definitely pays off.

The only downside to this game is that I would like to have seen more in the game for what it is. Sure there is a DLC but I'd probably like even larger maps, larger islands, bigger building selections etc. Other than this, absolutely fantastic.
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am new to the Anno series and this is an awesome game. I have played another city building game simcity and this is much better than that. These games are in essence simulations of reality and a game derives its richness of content by incorporating its complexity and that is one of the foremost reason this game is better than simcity. Simcity is far lacking in detail and has been essentially dumbed down. Anno offers a richer and detailed city building game. Another factor is Anno has advanced strategy element which goes beyond the limited city planning and logistics. One has to at the same time handle economic and military affairs arising due to interaction with cities belonging to other factions. Another factor is the game is graphically mesmerizing, they are truly a treat for the eyes. To conclude I would say this; I have played a lot of city building games and this is quite easily the best one. Expand
  39. Jan 7, 2014
    Very awesome and complex economy-strategy game that will keep you busy for hours. Excellent graphics. You can build on isles or under the sea to gather resources or build your cities. There is always stuff to do. Even Quests. Multiplayer is great and you can save your multiplayer game and continue whenever you want.or play it in solo mode. you can also open up your offline games toVery awesome and complex economy-strategy game that will keep you busy for hours. Excellent graphics. You can build on isles or under the sea to gather resources or build your cities. There is always stuff to do. Even Quests. Multiplayer is great and you can save your multiplayer game and continue whenever you want.or play it in solo mode. you can also open up your offline games to multiplayer if you want at any point of the game.

this is a heavy economy based game. there is military in it, even nuklear bombs, but the focus is on building a strong economy and cities. of course you can make war.
    if you get the 'deep sea' addon you can even trade shares/stocks to take over enemy isles without hurting anybody. you can build under the ocean nevertheless, even without addon. but it adds very, very nice features.

Also nice feature of the game is the 'Arc', lets name it your home base, where you can store items or goods. you get items through research if you build laboratories later in the game.
    as you progress in the game, it is getting harder to fullfill everyones needs but if you manage your economy properly, you should have no problems.

To be honest, I got into the game after some 50hours of playtime. I took that long until I got the hang of it but it is super fun to play!! It definitely takes time.
  40. Mar 7, 2012
    This is my personal experience of Anno 2070 and what I hope to be an honest review of the game. The first thing that stands out is the graphics. It is beautiful, the water looks crystal clear and the scenery looks pretty. The next thing that I find fantastic is the music. An ambient soundtrack which blends in perfectly with the gameplay. It's a soundtrack I like to listen to outside of theThis is my personal experience of Anno 2070 and what I hope to be an honest review of the game. The first thing that stands out is the graphics. It is beautiful, the water looks crystal clear and the scenery looks pretty. The next thing that I find fantastic is the music. An ambient soundtrack which blends in perfectly with the gameplay. It's a soundtrack I like to listen to outside of the game to relax. It's that nice. The game itself is very well presented and is constantly updated with extra missions monthly, and a political system where different factions can be elected to provide bonuses within your game. For example, an eco-friendly character will provide bonuses to sustainability and your farms, while an industrial will provide bonuses to your production lines. The campaign itself is a little bit mundane, and I've tended to stay away from it in favour of the special missions and the continuous game modes.

All in all ~ it is a great game to play, and you won't go wrong with this if Civilisation-style games are your bread and butter.
  41. Oct 13, 2013
    Absolutely one of the greatest city building games ever to grace the PC. Exceptionally highly recommended to anyone who likes this genre. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to play.. intricate.. it's got it all.
  42. May 31, 2013
    Beautiful, challenging, fun. ANNO 2070 mixes the best parts of RTS and city simulation. I have spent an easy 200 hours on this game and I am still playing it. A few downsides, it has a steep learning curve if you haven't played any ANNO games before and it is a time sink.
  43. Feb 5, 2012
    Excellent game. I was new to the series when I started and got hooked. It could use a little more polish in introducing new players to the game, or to introduce some game mechanics - especially those who haven't played the previous version. Campaign does a good job of explaining most mechanics, but for a game as deep as this one it could have done more. For that, I give it a 9/10. MostExcellent game. I was new to the series when I started and got hooked. It could use a little more polish in introducing new players to the game, or to introduce some game mechanics - especially those who haven't played the previous version. Campaign does a good job of explaining most mechanics, but for a game as deep as this one it could have done more. For that, I give it a 9/10. Most critic reviews I've read accurately reflect this game, more so than others. Expand
  44. Apr 17, 2012
    I have enjoyed Anno 2070 for many, many hours now, and it has not once disappointed. The graphics are wonderfully rich and vibrant and the game-play is quite enjoyable. At first I was a bit confused about the campaign missions, as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content there. However, it's important to understand that the main purpose of the campaigns is to expose the player to allI have enjoyed Anno 2070 for many, many hours now, and it has not once disappointed. The graphics are wonderfully rich and vibrant and the game-play is quite enjoyable. At first I was a bit confused about the campaign missions, as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content there. However, it's important to understand that the main purpose of the campaigns is to expose the player to all the inner workings of the game. By the time I was on the last few campaign missions, I couldn't wait to start a continuous game and really explore the game. I also had a good laugh when the game told me I had played continuously for more than two hours, and that maybe I should stretch my legs a bit. The continuous game mode has many options for you to tweak your experience, from an easy and relaxing city building and exploration focused game, to a fast-paced race for resources while fighting off pirates. Overall, Anno 2070 is a fantastic game, and one not to missâ Expand
  45. Mar 28, 2012
    Definitely the best Anno game so far. The campaign is really well written, and it takes multiplayer to new level. I've already racked up 90 hours playing it.
  46. Mar 17, 2013
    There is no such thing as a perfect game but Anno 2070 comes very close. I have played the previous installment "anno 1404" and am familiar with 1701. 2070's focus lies not so much in your connection with the population but rather in technology and economic views. You either play as the eco's or global trust (industrials) and have S.A.A.T at your side as a technological faction. You canThere is no such thing as a perfect game but Anno 2070 comes very close. I have played the previous installment "anno 1404" and am familiar with 1701. 2070's focus lies not so much in your connection with the population but rather in technology and economic views. You either play as the eco's or global trust (industrials) and have S.A.A.T at your side as a technological faction. You can slo choose to play with a mix of these. Truly, the world is in your hands and prepare to spend days on end perfecting your economy and building the cities of your dreams. There is no "end-game" if you want but you can set victory conditions if you so desire. The replayability is mind boggling and this will get you immersed for years to come! Nothing in my game list is so addictive. Expand
  47. Jun 9, 2012
    This is game is not for everyone, but I found it to be intriguing and challenging. But it was a good kind of challenge, made you think more strategically and the Eden Initiative and the Global Trust were perfect factions given the situation of the game.
  48. Jul 1, 2012
    It's a really good game that adds up on the old Anno games. The time change doesn't change anything in the Anno experience you get delivered. Every single "Endless-Game" lasts really really long and you catch yourself playing with some friends playing 6-8 hours in a row and joking about the messages "You already played 8 hours! You should take a break!" that appear every few hours ^^
  49. Mar 25, 2013
    I'm quite new to Anno but I have discovered Anno 1404 2 years ago and loved the game, Anno 2070 does not dissapoint either. The depth of the game is incredible and the online features is also a plus rather than a minus. Anno 2070 has a very nice single player campaign and will keep you busy and intrigued for hours. A must buy for any Anno fan!
  50. Nov 6, 2013
    This game is fantastic. When i do play this i cannot stop for hours on end. Strongly recommend this for city sim builders. This game is as deep as the player can go. I cannot play long before i want to start again and want to do even better
  51. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the most relaxing games I've played with beautiful graphics and sound. A city building game with a light flavouring of RTS huge replay potential.
  52. Apr 23, 2014
    This Game is Has both amazing graphics that completely match the scenario the game depicts, Extreme Depthness to the game play and Plot, and Very Solid game play as well.

To start, They introduce you to a plot that not only is very good, but Touches directly on some of the most major problems facing the planet today. You have two well developed and thought Out factions in the game: Eden Initiative (EI) which strives for The Sustainable cities, and Global Trust (GT) Which strives for Expansion and Economy. You also get a whole host of supporting factions such as the main one called S.A.A.T (Technology faction). The very nature of the plot adds so much depthness to it.

The Game play is remarkably good Because It is very well developed and is a excellent combination of City Building game play. and Strategy game play. Not only can you develop a gleaming city on an island, you can conquer or destroy other peoples cities as well, and/or expand to other islands! This game play is just incredibly fun!

Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.