• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
7.0

1. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load.I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load. Regardless, and most unfortunately, no one is able to log on to Uplay (Ubisoft's mandatory DRM gateway) today on 7/15/12, and therefore are unable to play this game. The forums for Steam and Ubisoft are filled with people unable to even launch the game they paid for. If this were a newly released title, I wouldn't be bothered. Sometimes the developer/publisher just needs time to adjust to the demand. This, on the other hand, is just unacceptable. Get a torrent or something if you want to be able to play reliably. It's an incredible shame that purchasing a title legitimately results in such a headache. Expand
  2. Feb 3, 2012
    The Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several goodThe Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several good titles. That sums things up, but if you want more detail, please read on... I would not be upset with this game or its developers if I had a single issue, but this game has been a constant struggle since purchase. When I first bought the game, I had a great deal of trouble installing it. It turns out AVG antivirus and the game don't get along. Fair enough, I was using the free version of AVG anyway. I simply switched to MSE antivirus, problem solved. Once the game was installed, I experienced a crash-to-desktop that occurred somewhere between every 30 seconds and every 30 minutes, a C++ runtime error. I tried many things to resolve this, which I won't bore you with. Suffice it to say, I am quite familiar with computer hardware and software, and it was not a simple video driver issue (nor anything else you commonly see with game crashes). I contacted Ubi support (this is where things really got annoying). Even though I included a great deal of information, including a DxDiag file, I got back a very generic response telling me to update my drivers and enable graphics settings like Direct3D (if you read the DxDiag, you would see that those things are already done, as I stated in my e-mail). After a game patch, the game is a little more stable. I can typically play for 30 mins to 1 hour, but even when I can the Ubi servers are constantly down. Last night I finally had some time to play, but the servers went down mid-game. Thankfully, the game simply switches the offline mode, which does hamper your gameplay but not too terribly much. I played a little while longer and exited. Now I cannot log back into the game (which means I can't play at all) because "that user is already logged in." It turns out that if the servers go down while you're logged in, you can't log out and will therefore not be able to get back in later. Judging by forum discussions, this has happened several times and I'm sure it will be fixed in a day or 2. But that's exactly the issue with this game...it will work...in a day or 2. I solve one problem, and another pops up. The DRM is a nightmare, UPlay is garbage, the programming unstable, the servers a constant mess. I could forgive any one of the issues, but there are an infinite amount. If companies like Blizzard and Valve can release rock-solid titles with very few technical issues, why can't Ubi? For my $50 in the future, they have to do better. Goodbye Ubi and Anno, it's been fun. Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Graphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have withGraphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have with civilization-building games.

The only difference between the two main factions is aesthetic; the buildings look different, and you get yelled at by different talking heads. "Eco-balance" is just another percentage you have to manage, like power supply; the ecological management and green technologies hinted at in the trailers simply don't exist in any measurable amount.

It's not a bad game, it just doesn't beat the Civilization series, Sim City 4, or even Fate of the World. In fact, Blue Byte/Ubisoft's other game in this genre, Settlers 7, is vastly superior in every aspect.

Wait 'til you can get Anno for under 20 bucks.
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    The DRM makes the game unplayable. It's been days since purchase and I still can't run it because of it. Support has been terribly slow. If only I had known before I purchased...
  5. Mar 10, 2014
    My experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what isMy experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what is currently regarded as the holy grail of the industry: online gaming ad nauseam. And for what ? All in all, an update with a clumsy interface. Many people like it, I do not and will probably avoid being tempted by products using Uplay and other sorts of server-centered gameplay. Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2014
    Gonna pirate it because uPlay it's a pain in the.... play. So if you havent buy it you should consider that after many updates uPlay still being a problem. If you can deal with all the issues you will find a good game
  7. Dec 21, 2014
    have not been able to play this game once because Uplay that you need to play this game has never worked and keeps crashing. waste of money as I foolishly bought 2 copies to gift.
  8. Jan 31, 2015
    Game might be good, but be prepared to be able to fight to get past Ubisofts old fashioned DRM. They should be ashamed.

I hope this kind of way to treat the buyers is not acceptable anymore, and dies with Anno 2070.
  9. Apr 3, 2012
    I've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time becauseI've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time because there were poorly-explained requirements to finishing quests---sometimes, just because I had finished them before they were offered, and I had to reload to try again. If it's like the other Anno games, it will get much harder by the end, but I don't expect it can make up for the poor experience I've had playing so far. Expand
  10. Jun 15, 2012
    I got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters areI got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters are so utterly annoying and unbelievable, the only dialogue is basically some whiny liberal bickering with some d-bag conservative, which, I assume, was just a pretty poor attempt at social commentary. Building your city was awful as well. You need to build your workers some homes - do you want to perhaps build a nice line or houses, or perhaps a high rise apartment building, or how about a group of town houses? NOPE! There is one kind of house to build and one only (per faction). Sure, it upgrades, but you really have no choice of building the city you want to build. All in all, the only thing this game did for me was make me want to pull out SimCity again, which is imo the standard of the genre upon which all others should be judged. Spend your $50 on that instead I implore you. Expand
  11. Jul 8, 2012
    To play this game: Launch Steam, Launch Anno 2070 which starts a UPlay account signup box, you create an account but it still denies you access until you log in online, this is where I gave up.

This is like Kafka's The Trial, there is no game it is just a long sequence of account creation and password management tasks; maybe that's what 2070 will look like? The people who gave this game high reviews were probably driven insane long before the game actually launched so don't trust them.
  12. Dec 22, 2013
    The DRM is more challenging than the game itself...it takes an eternity before one can actually play it. And then there's the 3 activation limit. Cannot support this sort of intrusive anti customer mentality.
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    Doesn't matter how good or bad this game is. It is unplayable due to the DRM. Don't buy stuff from companies that treat their loyal customers as criminals.

The only thing that sets this game apart from the other versions released in the past is its money grab DLC scheme, and its anti customer DRM. You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all

You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all really good.
  14. Apr 4, 2012
    I registered with Ubisoft using my email address and by mistake, used the same password that I use for my Gmail address. After about 2 hours, I receive a notice from Gmail that my account had been accessed from an IP address overseas and they recommended that I change my password immediately. In my 7 years of owning that Gmail account, that has never happened to me. USE CAUTION whenI registered with Ubisoft using my email address and by mistake, used the same password that I use for my Gmail address. After about 2 hours, I receive a notice from Gmail that my account had been accessed from an IP address overseas and they recommended that I change my password immediately. In my 7 years of owning that Gmail account, that has never happened to me. USE CAUTION when registering with Ubisoft, as your information is obviously not safe. As for the game, it was a total waste of 50.00. Calling this game a RTS is a crime. If you want to plant tea and rice fields for hours, this game is for you. The tiny amount of combat in this game is laughable. If you are looking for a RTS, move on, nothing to see here.... Expand
  15. Mar 9, 2013
    Bought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have aBought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have a key. This game gets a zero because even if I could find it on my system, I refuse to do this. Ubisoft won't refund my money so Ubisoft gets no more of my business. Ever. Expand
  16. Dec 25, 2012
    Layers of DRM earn this a 0; Ubisoft fails again. Imagine the multiple layers of DRM involved after you buy on Steam...now that was a slap in the face.
  17. Jul 15, 2012
    I must say that I was a bit ambivalent on buying this game but when I saw it on sale, I gave it a try.

Unfortuanlly so far the only thing I have learned is that I have to register an account on a server that does not responds. I find it it Highly unacceptable not to be able to use a product I have bought and paid for. I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer

I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer purposes, but if it is made a requirement for playing then It has to work
  18. Apr 8, 2013
    I actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they haveI actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they have basically stolen 70 dollars. Steam Support is unwilling to help in this matter. It is to the point I may have to pirate it to play a game I legally own. Way to fail. Expand
  19. Feb 26, 2012
    It's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from gamesIt's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from games they've legally purchased.

20. Jul 15, 2012
    Great graphics, nice game, you will not play for so long anyway. cons: horribly managed by Ubisoft Uplay, server down, problems with connection, user login not recognized and non existing support you cannot play ubisoft games in this way, thumb down never ever a Ubisoft game again.
  21. Jan 20, 2012
    BS Tage DRM. Change your graphics card? That just used up an activation, and you only get three, so don't go upgrading your machine very often! Seriously, the fact that this type of crap is somehow okay with so many game buyers is really quite baffling. JUST SAY NO TO HORRIBLE DRM HELL!
  22. Mar 19, 2012
    I understand one time online activation DRM, but being forced to create Ubisoft account to be able to play game in offline mode is just big scam for me. And i thought that all those Ubisoft DRM stories were exaggerated, stupid me. I feel so bad for buying game that i will not play single time.
  23. Jan 26, 2012
    I buy games to play them and have fun. As long as I am not hacking your game and playing legit, what I do with my computer after purchase is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

If you dont know what I am talking about read "http://www.guru3d.com/news/why-guru3d-probably-never-will-review-ubisoft-titles-anymore/"

If they gave negative scores, this would get it for that reason.
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    Ubisoft's wicked DRM strikes again. I can't be arsed to rant about it. But I'm sure if you dig through the zeros you'll find something similar.

To people giving 10s to offset zeros, if the game is broken to the point of unplayability that's a zero; don't try and drag the score back up again.
  25. Apr 10, 2012
    DOUBLE POST : Due to a problem with CHROME not release the score meter when I move the most, I placed a 10 when I first wrote this when I wanted to select 0..

Ubisoft's dranocian DRM will make sure I'll never buy or play this game. Who knows, one day they'll wake up and see just how many sales they are losing because of this. Like so many people have said, WHAT I DO WITH MY PC AFTER I BUY THE GAME IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS..
  26. Oct 19, 2013
    If you are buying on steam, beware! It won't actually be using steam to launch the game and keep it updated. Instead, it will install its on launcher steam-esque program on your computer (called uPlay). The amount of time to get from installed to actually playing was so long (included creating a uplay account, logging into some service, updating the game again through uplay even thoughIf you are buying on steam, beware! It won't actually be using steam to launch the game and keep it updated. Instead, it will install its on launcher steam-esque program on your computer (called uPlay). The amount of time to get from installed to actually playing was so long (included creating a uplay account, logging into some service, updating the game again through uplay even though it was just downloaded. But, I was a trooper, and pushed through. Unfortunately, the bland, uninteresting game that followed was a huge let down. The menu system was slick, and looked promising, but the gameplay was bland and uninspired. When coupled with the unwanted stuff it came with, not really using the steam system (the game is tied to your uplay account after you run it, not your steam account), this is a definite do not buy. I feel like Tropico 4 scratches the same itch in a MUCH better package and in a much less annoying way. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2012
    Reviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really doesReviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really does ruin the game because the audience is a long term one, at least those are the pre-tenses under which I bought the game. Expand
  28. Aug 26, 2012
    Don't buy this game from Steam. It will load Uplay then crash. Maybe when I am able to play this I will be able to do a full review, but wanted to warn Steam Customers.
  29. Jan 20, 2013
    In the light (or dark) or Ubisoft's draconian DRM which not only limit you to 3 activation, but also 3 hardware changes. Meaning, you upgrade graphic cards or RAM 3 times and you're forever locked out of your game! It's not simply 3 installation anymore, no sir! I'm throwing in 0 to offset all those attempts at ramping up the user scores.
  30. Mar 23, 2012
    Sadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respectSadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respect every developer for his/her creativity and effort put in the developement of a game. Seeing that a publisher like ubisoft destroys all the efforts made by this stupid DRM really gets me to rage. This was the last ubisoft game i bought! Thanks! Just typed some insults but deleted them afterwards. Expand

Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.