6.1

1. Oct 10, 2014
    Absolutely abysmal. If you want to actually program your keyboard so that you can use the keys that make sense to you, forget about it. Except for really primitive games, where it isn't an option, I never use the WASD keys to maneuver, but this game forces you to, because the designers were too lazy to bother with a user friendly game. I tried for a while, but it was just too uncomfortable to play.

And to add insult to injury, the game made me create a Uplay account, despite the fact that I had purchased it on Steam.

I certainly won't be buying another of this series.
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Bugs, bugs and more bugs. And full synch is just free frustration, some constraints force you to play 200 times what doesn't deserve one single playthrough. Worst release of the franchise, by far.
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    Really disappointing. The game looks gorgeous but there is so little real game play. I feel like I am just running between objectives, walking if it is a stealth level.
    Even the combat is boring. X to attack, B to block. I had not played an Assassins creed game since 2 and I had hoped they would have improved the combat by now. It seems to have sped up a little bit, but it is still just
    attack, attack, counter, repeat. The controls are very over simplified, I tried playing with a keyboard and also a gamepad, but the controls seem way too dumbed down.
    I thought firing muskets would be satisfying, but they only have the range or a throwing knife and dont feel good to shoot. Climbing the ships mast at the beginning could have been an exciting moment, but I climbed up the wrong side of the mast, so I had to climb down and go up the side they wanted me to climb to continue.
    It is also the glitchiest game I have played in years. During the first sword fight in the game my enemy got stuck in a wall and I had to restart from checkpoint. When first arriving in Boston before even let off the leash enough to sprint I saw a frozen towns person and a dog stuck inside a pile of barrels. There are frequent ragdoll and other physics glitches.
    I only payed $5 for it in the steam sale and I still feel disappointed.
  4. Jun 13, 2014
    Sadly, Assassin's Creed 3 does little to differentiate itself from it's predecessors, spends the first third of the game on tutorials, and is otherwise a bit on the boring side. All this could be forgiven if it weren't for the fact that the PC port is terrible and crashes constantly. I have literally never uninstalled a game before I finished playing it. Congratulations AC:3. You were so bad that I couldn't be bothered to finish you. Expand
  5. May 29, 2014
    Even now, so long after release a horrible, unplayable broken mess. Glitches around every corner, spazzing out people everywhere, pop-in and pop-out of people, even when they're standing next to you (on an impressive PC). Bad optimization, they still haven't killed off Desmond either so he's still in the game with his dumb **** face trying to make sense of what's going on - a total and complete loss of power and an artificial way to keep the overarching story still going. The Desmond story is like a miscarriage, it was sort of alive when it popped out, but brutally deformed and right now the parents act like it's still alive but really it's just dead, uninteresting, and a bloody mess. Haytham as a character is phenomenal, but is replaced within the first 3 minutes of the game with an uninteresting, arrogant (not in a funny way like Ezio) nitwit who doesn't have the slighest clue of what's going on. Horrible game, only finished it because I loved the previous ones and want to play the 4th one.

But honestly, even if you're a big fan, skip this one. Please, for your own good.
  6. Apr 23, 2014
    Review divided between PC specific problems and Game problems.

A. PC Specific Problems:

1. No optimisation done at all. If I suffer FPS lag on a $3000 machine, I can only imagine the horror those on a more conservative rigs. Its so buggy! If you look in specific directions the fps drops like bass in a dubstep video. So far I am certain that it has got nothing to do with amount of
    components on screen. I've gotten smooth as butter FPS with a lot of citizens and buildings and an animation slideshow FPS in a f**in JUNGLE with practically nothing putting load on my CPU / GPU.

2. Controls are just weird. SUPER weird. We have at least a 102 buttons to play games. They REDUCED the amount of buttons required to play the game than previous versions. I am pretty sure you could map an Sega Genesis controller to play this game and won't need any combos on a PC.

3. Uplay! Need I say more?

4. Savegames get corrupted randomly. I've had to start the game thrice AT LEAST. Its funny because you don't loose an entire save, you loose the progress! Its not even the progress made in the same session!

5. Random crashes.

B. Other Issues Universal to all Systems:

1. The gameplay is non existent. The game pretty much is like a modern version of those weird CD-I games.

2. Their version of OPEN world is just run around. Run around to get collectible, deliver letters etc. On top of that, running around isn't even fun! It seems like so for the first 15 minutes, but its horrid! The tree parkour is very badly done. Its laughable. You have to be on a horse for the most part if you actually wanna get to places. In GTA there's a million things to experience in the open world. Here, it's NOTHING!

3. Horses are BUGGY AS F**K! Skyrim horses are MUCH better than this sh!t!~

4. It could have better been a shooter on rails! Because you are NOT ALLOWED to THINK how to do a mission. The whole thing is scripted. I've played better NES games than this.

5. I could rant on but now the game has sucked out all of my motivation.

On the good part, the graphics are amazing! They are wallpaper worthy! Every single image you capture will be pretty much gorgeous. But it's a GAME. NOT a MOVIE!

Honestly, you are better off just watching the walkthroughs on youtube or whatever. Even that'll get boring.
  7. Mar 29, 2014
    The most annoying game i've ever played, worst than sleeping dogs. I don't want to climb and stay on top of everything. Killing half of the city isn't a problem but shoving them is inappropriate. Riding a horse can't be more difficult i guess, i don't understand why both character and horse stop moving when something block their way and don't care the damn distance between the target, this is really ridiculous. Expand
  8. Jan 27, 2014
    I have played and finished every single AC game upto this one and pretty much liked them. But my god how I hated this one. The gameplay seems to be taken right out of a beta version of the AC I. Guards get stuck in invisible walls all the time. Guards don't see you when standing right next to them, but then again see you 1 mile away. On the PC the map and every other menu makes you want to hit something. Quests usualy just start by talking to some dude without ANY explanation. You just run up to him, and a marker appears on the map. Many times the quest-dude just said "thank you" and the quest was over before I did anything (must have killed the particular guard sometime before?!). Immersion is broken all the time when silly things are happening all around you. For example, the main character gets a cut on his face, gets a pad soaked in alcohol pressed on it and 1 second later there is a closeup of his face and the cut is gone. I could go on and on but I wan't to forget about this game as fast as I can. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2014
    The perfect example of how to NOT make a sequel

First, AC3 feels least like Assassin’s Creed game. From the overly specific full synchronization mission objectives to the walk-between-cutscenes missions, the player is stripped of the sandbox style of play. The game forces you to play a predetermined style, which rids of the fun. In fact, the entire game plays out like you are more of a
    soldier than an Assassin.

Connor is the least strong of the AC characters and I actually found him quite annoying. The game is rather shallow in that it does not delve at all into the Creed or Brotherhood, but only that it exists and is there to stop the Templars.

The game lacks any polish. First, the game suffers from poor mechanics. Fluidity and consistency are the biggest problems. While there is the random ledge grabbing and haphazard horse controls, the combat is the biggest misstep. I use to love the combat, but in AC3 it is tiresome. The counters work like half the time. The gunplay ruins any flow. I died so many cheap deaths because of the odd mechanics. Second, there are more glitches in bugs in this game than in any other game I’ve played, which is sad for a blockbuster franchise like AC.

Next, the extras do not tie into the game whatsoever. I completed the game without doing any extras. I did not find them fun and rather unnecessary unlike previous installments where I did everything. They were not explained well. Also, I did not see weapon upgrades or costume upgrades.

Other serious complaints are the rather terrible fast-travel between zones, strange menu design, and the insanely long 4 hour tutorial at the beginning of the game.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise is one of my favorites and AC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I found so much disappointment and squandered potential with AC3.
  10. Jan 26, 2014
    It's such a shame that Ubisoft decided to make Assassin's Creed a yearly release title. The result of that decision has slowly led to the demise of the franchise and AC III is the prime example of that. AC was once one of my favorite franchises, but now it has been reduced to a mere shadow of its former self. First, the pros: AC III has great character models, animations, and cutsences. That's about it for pros. The cons:
    The setting is great, but it just doesn't work for an AC game. Remember when this franchise was about sneaking around and stabbing people? Yeah, not anymore. Now you get guns and are constantly expected to fight through hordes of enemies. AC needs to go back into history and stop coming to more recent time periods or it will further destroy the franchise. The gameplay itself has been revamped and now it's worse than before. Combat isn't nearly as fluid or fun as it once was. The game holds your hand for over 4 hours of playtime as it shows you tutorials for things that you will never do throughout the game. IT showed me how to hunt, but not what the purpose of hunting is. It showed me how to craft things and sell items, but i never had more than $4000 in my wallet during the entire game. Remember when the story was the focus of the AC games? The story hasn't made sense for several games, but now it is worse than ever. I had no idea what was going on in the present day Desmond storyline and if i wasn't student of American military history i'd have no idea what was going on in the historical Connor storyline either. The missions are boring and repetitive, the open world is useless as i never felt compelled to explore and i'm usually the person who would go through the entire game intending to get 100% sync by finishing every optional objective, obtaining every collectible and so forth. But this game was so boring i couldn't bring myself to even attempt that. On top of all this, the game is absolutely riddled with bugs and glitches. Every single mission had a problem with it somewhere. Whether it was a mission breaking bug where i couldn't continue, clipping issues, or the part where every time i open my accounting book to manage my property, the game would freeze and i'd have to shut down the process with task manager. SO much for that part of the game! Guess i'll never be able to upgrade my house! AC II is a complete travesty. Casual games looking for a fix and die hard AC fans alike should steer far clear of this disgusting game.
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    Ok, let's start with the positive so we can clear this one out quickly the cut scenes are awesome. Done. Check.
    Now with the negative :
    1. This is the most boring and clumsiest assassin you'll ever see in your life. This character I already forgot his name just to say is the total opposite of Ezio no charisma whatsoever, no substance, no facial resemblance with any of the glorious
    assassin family Desmond is the last heir of, boring voice and poor abilities. You can't get attached to such a dull character and have any fun using him. You just can't.
    2. All the Assassin's Creed games sucked me in from the very beginning of the story and glued me to my screen, wasting countless hours to make the scenario and characters progress. This one is so annoying, I have no interest in making anything progress and knowing what happened to the saga. I didn't even understand why Desmond ended up in the animus reenacting this stupid ancestor memories. Nothing's explained or makes sense. It's like, yeah whatever, just do it because well, it's an Assassin's Creed game so let's just milk the same cow again and issue a new episode of the series.
    3. The game-play has been revised for the worst. Listen Ubisoft, there's one golden rule in gaming and in programming in general: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Don't. Just don't. Ever. Instead, you just frustrated millions of players who enjoyed so far the continuity of playing all Assassin's Creed games the same way but you also made it much worse by complicating for no reason a fluid interface with boring menus/sub-menus and counter-intuitive controls. This is an epic failure.
    4. The AI. Oh my! The AI is as equally retarded than it is deadly, depending on the time, the scenario and the situation. This is such a marker for a failed product to see the vast dichotomy between AI characters accepting you just vanished because you hid behind a barrel in their plain sight as it is when they accurately shoot you to near death when you're jumping from one roof to another, while alerting instantly every other patrols within a 50 miles radius around you.
    5. Gazillions of bugs everywhere. For everything. We're not talking about specific glitches in specific areas and such. Direct and obvious bugs like the character's cape going crazy and making him look like a ridiculous bat whenever climbing any tall structure. This is not something you can miss. Clearly, you haven't tested your product at all. Or if you have, you clearly have no respect for your customers in attempting to deliver any level of quality for your products. Let's just issue the damn thing and bang money as much as we can before they realize they bought a piece of crap. The fact that Ubisoft publicly told their customers they have no intention to fix any of the bugs, well I guess we all know now how they consider them (moooo!).
    6. Missions 90% of the time, I have no clue why I'm doing a mission or what I'm supposed to do. I just try random things until it seems that the mission progresses. The story is so botched that they didn't even try to provide explanations of why you're doing something in the game now.
    Overall, the whole thing feels very sour: the great saga that lasted for a decade now has been burnt to the ground by the greediness of Ubisoft executives in a clumsy attempt to milk their customers. From what I can read from gamers about AC IV, it's pretty much the same disaster. Guess what, won't buy it. Well, well done Ubisoft for shooting yourself in the foot and killing one of the greatest saga in gaming history.
  12. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has no ambition. They tried to coast on a well-known brand and plaster a series of stale mechanics onto a lifeless setting. There are a few sparks of creative energy, but by and large, it's not worth the slog through the soulless husk that is the Boston and its surrounding wilderness--a region, you would think, almost impossible to make completely devoid of interest. Somehow, they managed.

The gameplay and graphics are passable, which saves this game from total disaster. Give it a pass unless you are obsessed with the genre, in which case, prepare to spend the rest of your life on a collection quest for the 100 pieces of your broken soul.
  13. Dec 31, 2013
    The lowest point in the series. Not only does it run like an awful console port with enhanced textures (it is) there is a show stopping bug at EVER. SINGLE. FRAGMENT. of each sequence. It felt like I was playing a random number generator instead of being a part of a scripted game. Even though the writing is a bit forced into the genre, it is the only redeeming part of the game.
  14. Dec 4, 2013
    Worst Assassins Creed ever, half the game is a fricken tutorial and it doesn't even give u a tutorial on the stuff you need a tutorial for like crafting, Going places takes forever and the historical inaccuracy of this game makes me mad. Don't bother buying this game unless u like spending 8 hours of game play on getting to the actually being able to play as the main character. This is a horrible game. Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    I have played 24% according to the save menu. I don't think I can keep going. After a four hour intro, making me think I would be playing a character that I'm not, I am basically stuck playing a quicktime game, with a main character that has no body.

He is not an assassin, he is not interesting, the word is boring.

This game couldn't be worse.
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    This is one of the reasons the Assassin's Creed saga should have ended already. It's a boring game with a boring combat system, a boring story and a sh**tty ending. God that ending. They could have done something right there but no, they decided to keep milking the story.
    I'm done with this saga.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    There are too many problems of this game.

First, the flow of plot may be quite ambiguous to player due to the gradual change of controllable characters and timelines in the memory sequences, leaving a lot of unanswered plot holes, which are only addressed in a novel. It is ridiculous to read a novel or to search in wiki to understand a game's plot with a deeper extent.

Second, the
    pace of game is too slow. Combined with year change, season change and character change, the game becomes a very boring open world game. The sense of achievement is long gone, considering the controllable character or world in previous sequences will not stick with player in late game. It also results in repetitive side quests with low in number in early sequences. Even in late game, the open world still looks empty and dull, and the side quests are still too boring to be bothered with.

Further, the mission design are too linear, with the player to follow direction strictly given by game. Even how the player move is nearly restricted in a mission. The fun of eliminating target with various possibilities is no longer seen in this installment.

At last, this game has too many gimmicks like sea sailing, naval battle and hunting which do not add much to game mechanic and plot, and only add low value to its repetitive side quests.

Overall, the story is in fact not that bad. It is good to see more on the Templar side this time. However, the story telling and game mechanic implementation is extremely bad, which ruins the game play experience completely.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    When Call of Duty meets our famous assassin, what will it be? It will be this game. Nearly all the game missions are linear levels, with player and his companions shooting the enemies in surprise as stealth attack. Just like a COD game in the era of American revolution. There is no room for creativity and a sense of open world in the missions.

At the end, I just wonder if this is still
    an assassin game. I have really no feelings of involvement that the character is an assassin as in AC1 & 2.

3 marks are only for the decent graphic, good PC port and the introduction of naval combat respectively.
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    Worst game I have ever played. I played for about 1 hour and quit because I could not take it anymore. It really is that bad. I can't think of a single game out there that is worse than this one. Who the gives those "experts" the qualification to call themselves experts? I do not trust those "experts" who gave this piece of crap an eight.
  20. Nov 10, 2013
    I'm an Assassin's Creed fan and I like very much AC2 and its story line, but this one is boring. The only one cool feature in this game is the ocean battles which it's pretty awesome.
  21. Oct 31, 2013
    I really enjoyed the combat, graphics, and everything about the game with one exception: the plot and the time you spend out of the animus. The plot to this story is full of holes while you play as Conner and every time I had to waste time out of the animus, I tried to get back into the animus as quickly as possible. Just play the level where you climb the skyscraper again and ask yourself: who designed this? Hint: it has a garage door 200 stories high. Expand
  22. Oct 28, 2013
    Assassins Creed 3 is definitely not the best in the series. The graphics were average for 2011 but the gameplay is still good. Story line is predictable and just plain boring. There are annoying narrative scenes after a big mission that are just plain stupid. But the main problem with this game is the NPC logic. In battle with a lot of NPC (4-10) one will be attacking you while the others just stand their and watch. Once you kill him another attacks you and so on and so forth. If you go hide behind a wall right next to the battle the NPC will just totally forget about you and walk off. This games was poorly constructed. I would not recommend this game to anybody. I'm only giving this a one because of the good gameplay. Expand
  23. Oct 26, 2013
    This game in an exercise in frustration, the worst AC game I have ever played, it is so horridly bug riddled, that you can't complete the side missions, and the other is so god-damn boring, that you don't want to anyways This is a truly atrocious title, that is best avoided at ALL COST unless you are a massive fan, and if you are, heed my call.. SKIP EVERY SINGLE SIDE MISSION/QUEST! Just do the main story
    you'll be much happier that way!
  24. Oct 17, 2013
    unfortunately can not say anything good about it when it goes down when coming into the shop to buy weapons. the first mission upon reaching the ship at the start of the game
  25. Oct 16, 2013
    the game is out for quite some time now and still it keeps closing the tab of the game for me at random so i have to click back in and the map only works when it feels like are they actually serious about this? epic fail no were give about the PC users good job...
  26. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F*cking terrible. This game has an atrocious story line, is filled with bugs and glitches and the world and setting doesn't seem right overall. You have to walk long a$$ distances between missions and you can kill about 30 trained British soldiers with only your fists. This game KILLED the Assassins Creed Franchise for good and is never coming back. Expand
  27. Sep 13, 2013
    Zero Optimization, impossible to play unless you have a 1.000+€ PC. When you reach the big city of Boston your FPS will fall to the 10-20 unless you have a graphic card worth more than 300 and even then your fps will fall to the 40-50, whats worse is that Ubisoft doesn't care as long as you have already paid...
  28. Sep 13, 2013
    This game could have been a great experience, but the port is just dreadful. The game is heavily CPU dependent and will run like crap if you do not posses a rather fast CPU. Not to mention the AI not missing anything, can see through walls and the occasional bugs that completely kill any kind of immersion. One example is the no sound during cutscenes. How is this even possible? It works perfectly fine in the rest of the game. But to make things worse, Ubisoft is actively pushing out updates for AC3. But not a single update is addressing the performance issue.

If you have a i5, you'll still get playable framerates. 30-40 fps and if you overclock you can get even better performance. However for those PC gamers who have older CPUs, overclocking is a must to make it playable.

The gameplay is dumbed down and you just feel that you're watching a movie instead of playing a game. It is a shame that the latest installment is the worst one gameplay wise. The whole part about you being an assassin is gone. You just feel like the average hero fighting his way through waves of enemies. The story is pretty disappointing too.

If it wasn't for the horrible performance and immersion killing bugs I would have rather it a 6/10. But the current state of the port is unacceptable and a insult to every PC gamer.
  29. Sep 1, 2013
    Worst game i have ever played. single player has like 5 million bugs multiplayer that doesn't work on ps3. Ubi give me my money back!!!!!!! if you like the AC series DO NOT BUY THIS PART.
  30. Aug 8, 2013
    You can't enjoy this game for more than 3 minutes without running into bugs and glitches. Not minor annoyances, but game-killing issues. I played v1.06, still it's a half-ready game filled with bugs... What could be 1.00 like? Was it even starting?

If you need to know anything about this game, go to youtube.com because here is nothing explained... You have to find out everything on your
    own. Like this game is made deliberately to be hated.

SOME of the bugs/glitches:

Map how to zoom back in? BTW AC1-2 and co. had some problems with the map it didn't centered on many times if you clicked on an icon. They fixed it. Yes, they removed... So now you can only drag the sorry map... Is it really that hard to make an interface that works? I mean, it's the 5th generation for God's sake... Thousands worked on them. Nobody cared?

The climbing is still POS, try the Beacon hill climb. The game screws it up for you... It jumps automatically into bowl up there and thats it... If you want to climb up, you have to try once-twice to know the game's glitches...
    Sometimes you can't climb up to a rooftop, he just stands there meditating. And if you're being chased... I wonder if anybody tested the game before release.

Sometimes, just walking around, you get suddenly chased by the guards... Why? And you kill them by the dozen, but they don't get less. What's the point? I'm in incognito, aren't I?

There are so many lock picking minigames, Why didn't just copy one of them, because this is the worst. You get through the left/right phase, and then he just pulls out the tool and you can start over... Why Connor pulls the damn thing out? He just found the right angle. It's a drag like every minigame here. Atrocious, annoying, stupid. Work of lazy developers without imagination...

This guy can climb things that no human can: windows, even a piece of plaster bears his weight. What he can't climb ARE ROCKS... Rocks, that most humans can with a bit of practice. So you spend hours on pressing the forward button, to round the rocks...
    Tree climbing is a pain. Not working as it should be or it just not working at all. You have basically the SAME tree for every lookout point. Still the basic commands aren't working. If you climb up, Connor looks around from BEHIND THE LEAVES, and because you cant see where you jump, you're dead. Atrocious game design and logic.

The inventory is confusing. Nothing explained. It's just amazingly bad. Buttons not working (backspace, space). It's version 1.06, I've been waiting to download 6 patches, one by one and still they didn't fix this issue.
    If you touch the mouse it's frozen. It's not a bad port, it hasn't been ported to pc at all. Basic stuff not working.

After a few hours of gaming when you have a task, e.g. to look for a treasure chest and you cant find it, you are not searching for it again, because you think it's a glitch again, that it's not there. You get use to the bugs...

It's the 5th generation of AC so now it was high time to introduce (on a regular base) the plague, the cancer of the gaming world (at least the pc, the console gamer take it), the Quick time events. YESS. So now if you have liked the series so far, now they convince you that you were wrong... From now on you'll be on a level of a 3 year old toddler push this, and then push that. I was so missing this...
    And if QTE, why isn't it enough to click the damn button once? I hit the E once or 6 times, still I die...
  31. Dec 23, 2012
    AC3 is an exercise in frustration. I know that I am in the minority here, but I hate this game. Which is shocking, considering that I love the all of the other AC games (yes, I even liked Revelations despite its flaws). I feel that the Ubisoft Montreal has been trying to pack more and more activities into each iteration and this has taken focus away from the core mechanics put into place in AC1 and refined to perfection in AC2. Not that I minded the extras built into each chapter, I just found that Brotherhood and Revelations were veering into territory that moved away from what made AC2 great.

AC3 has obviously been designed with the 'more is better' school of thought in mind and I for one am getting tired of the focus on quantity over quality. In this case, less would have been more. The characters are worthless (including Connor and Desmond), the story felt hacked together like the writers had no idea where to take the series after Ezio, and the missions are rubbish (despite what reviewers are saying). I can only think of one or two that were actually entertaining. Oh, all of the praise that is being heaped on the 'naval' missions - it is essentially Sid Meier's Pirates but more modern. Not one thing in this game is revolutionary and despite all of the raving going on about how it is an achievement for the series, I actually found that AC3 is more linear and less entertaining than the first AC game, just more awkward and confusing. Combat is rubbish, pathfinding is rubbish, running around the forest is NOT fun after the first ten minutes, the cities are bland and not very fun, there is no room for your character to grow, items in game are super expensive (seriously, 24 bullets costed 2000 pounds? Really?). The list goes on...

Why are people raving over a game that really should have taken a critical lambasting for being lazy and rushed?

Assassin’s Creed III proves to be, despite its promises, a rather indecisive game. It comes with so many strong elements, that it could have been the best Assassin’s Creed ever, but it fails to harmonically balance those elements. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 offers a spectacular way to fill in the blanks in your knowledge of the American Revolution - it never holds back on scope, drama or action.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    What, no French revolution? For Europeans, birth of the United States is not really very interesting time nor environment. And after Ezio (or Haytham Kenway), Connor is bland, irritating protagonist. Game is also full of chores that add very little to the experience. [Jan 2013]