Assassin's Creed III PC

6.2

1. Jul 9, 2014
    Bugs, bugs and more bugs. And full synch is just free frustration, some constraints force you to play 200 times what doesn't deserve one single playthrough. Worst release of the franchise, by far.
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    There are too many problems of this game.

First, the flow of plot may be quite ambiguous to player due to the gradual change of controllable characters and timelines in the memory sequences, leaving a lot of unanswered plot holes, which are only addressed in a novel. It is ridiculous to read a novel or to search in wiki to understand a game's plot with a deeper extent. Second, the
    There are too many problems of this game.

Second, the pace of game is too slow. Combined with year change, season change and character change, the game becomes a very boring open world game. The sense of achievement is long gone, considering the controllable character or world in previous sequences will not stick with player in late game. It also results in repetitive side quests with low in number in early sequences. Even in late game, the open world still looks empty and dull, and the side quests are still too boring to be bothered with.

Further, the mission design are too linear, with the player to follow direction strictly given by game. Even how the player move is nearly restricted in a mission. The fun of eliminating target with various possibilities is no longer seen in this installment.

At last, this game has too many gimmicks like sea sailing, naval battle and hunting which do not add much to game mechanic and plot, and only add low value to its repetitive side quests.

Overall, the story is in fact not that bad. It is good to see more on the Templar side this time. However, the story telling and game mechanic implementation is extremely bad, which ruins the game play experience completely.
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....NO 3D Vision support....
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F*cking terrible. This game has an atrocious story line, is filled with bugs and glitches and the world and setting doesn't seem right overall. You have to walk long a$$ distances between missions and you can kill about 30 trained British soldiers with only your fists. This game KILLED the Assassins Creed Franchise for good and is never coming back. Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2012
    i would like to give this game a 6-7 but the climbing tree part of this game is downright broken and that's a big part of the game! it feels untested! so just because i can 0/10
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    Expected much more than I got. It really is unfortunate that they'd incorporate such a bad ending in an attempt to milk the series in the future. Don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    I'm about 15 or 20% through now. It plays like this - Walk 10 yards, cutscene, cutscene, walk 5 yards, cutscene cutscene cutscene etc. Then later you run a couple of hundred yards for more cutscene after cutscene. It's really gettig on my nerves.
  8. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has no ambition. They tried to coast on a well-known brand and plaster a series of stale mechanics onto a lifeless setting. There are a few sparks of creative energy, but by and large, it's not worth the slog through the soulless husk that is the Boston and its surrounding wilderness--a region, you would think, almost impossible to make completely devoid of interest. Somehow,This game has no ambition. They tried to coast on a well-known brand and plaster a series of stale mechanics onto a lifeless setting. There are a few sparks of creative energy, but by and large, it's not worth the slog through the soulless husk that is the Boston and its surrounding wilderness--a region, you would think, almost impossible to make completely devoid of interest. Somehow, they managed.

The gameplay and graphics are passable, which saves this game from total disaster. Give it a pass unless you are obsessed with the genre, in which case, prepare to spend the rest of your life on a collection quest for the 100 pieces of your broken soul.
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    This is by far the worst, or rather said, the only bad AC game. Not only is it set in a boring time, with boring citys, storys, people, weapons and armors, but the citys are so small that there is almost no climbing at all. I cannot believe this is an AC game. They need to go back to the roots, keep the new graohics but go back in more interesting time zones.
  10. Dec 8, 2016
    Very poorly done and very poorly ported to PC. Horrible controls. I hate ubi for mouse acceleration (AC 3 have positive and negative mouse accel... WTF), how can I play in this ****
  11. May 29, 2014
    Even now, so long after release a horrible, unplayable broken mess. Glitches around every corner, spazzing out people everywhere, pop-in and pop-out of people, even when they're standing next to you (on an impressive PC). Bad optimization, they still haven't killed off Desmond either so he's still in the game with his dumb **** face trying to make sense of what's going on - a total andEven now, so long after release a horrible, unplayable broken mess. Glitches around every corner, spazzing out people everywhere, pop-in and pop-out of people, even when they're standing next to you (on an impressive PC). Bad optimization, they still haven't killed off Desmond either so he's still in the game with his dumb **** face trying to make sense of what's going on - a total and complete loss of power and an artificial way to keep the overarching story still going. The Desmond story is like a miscarriage, it was sort of alive when it popped out, but brutally deformed and right now the parents act like it's still alive but really it's just dead, uninteresting, and a bloody mess. Haytham as a character is phenomenal, but is replaced within the first 3 minutes of the game with an uninteresting, arrogant (not in a funny way like Ezio) nitwit who doesn't have the slighest clue of what's going on. Horrible game, only finished it because I loved the previous ones and want to play the 4th one.

But honestly, even if you're a big fan, skip this one. Please, for your own good.
  12. Nov 6, 2016
    Assassin's Creed III is a game that could have been at least decent if there had been far, far less of it. Instead, it is a disaster area of a game, and really goes to show how more can be less.

The core of Assassin's Creed III is, ostensibly, being an assassin. You play as Connor, a half-white, half-Native American assassin who joins the revolution to protect his people. Except not really, because the Patriots don't really make any promises towards his people. Really, you play as Connor, who takes part in the Ameican Revolution because the plot says so, and because it makes for intesting mission setpieces.

As Connor, you supposedly sneak around, parkouring through trees and over buildings and sneaking around or murdering guards en route to various assassination targets.

Of course, in actuality, judging by gameplay time, Assassin's Creed III is a game about running around in the woods gathering feathers and crafting items whih have no actual value whatsoever.

Assasssin's Creed III is quite large - there are two fairly large cities, plus a Frontier area which is several virtual miles across, and a homestead area which is fairly large as well.

And yet, these environments leave me wondering why they're even there. They're EMPTY. Most of the frontier is just trees, rocks, and hills, with very little of interest there; there are animals wandering around, but that's a bad joke; the animals themselves are just a tedious distraction. There are a smattering of collectables scattered around, but they still often aren't within hundred yards of each other, and almost all of them feel like they were just stuck into the environment to extend playtime - indeed, the almanacs never result in you talking to Benjamin Franklin again to turn them in, while the feather collection sidequest is completely arbitrary and has ZERO actual payoff in-game - you arbitrarily unlock an outfit and that's it.

There are fixed sidequests which feel like they might as well have been procedurally generated for all the "story" involved in them. There is hunting of animals, and trading of skins via caravans - which is an extremely tedious process with a terrible UI which bears no real purpose beyond generating vast amounts of money you don't need. There's a "crafting" system which is driven entirely by completing sidequests with the NPCs in your homestead, and which could have just had the NPCs grant you the results after you completed the quests, without the tedious system involved.

Joining you on your feather collection duties are six assassins. Unlike in previous entries in the AC series, your assassin recruits actually have individual personalities, and you can chat with them a bit and get to know them a little. This is a huge step up. Too bad that, unlike in the previous games, you don't get a capstone quest from any of them, so after you recruit them, they might as well not exist as things you interact with.

Oh, and you can't use them at all in the huge wilderness area for no apparent reason.

You can level them up via a menu-based sidequest system which simply serves to divert more of your time away from actually being an assassin. It probably has some effect, but I could never really tell, and while they were useful, they were often unavailable when they’d be most useful.

There’s just so much garbage in this game, and the game pretends like it is important, but ultimately, it is just there to make the game much longer than it should be – vastly so. I’d say you probably spend maybe 20% of your play time on the actual main storyline.

The main storyline is a mess plot-wise; you keep skipping between various major historical events, but the protagonist, Connor, is a one-dimensional anger-driven character on a quest for revenge. Except that by the end of it, you, the player, are left wondering why Connor even cares anymore, as it isn’t even clear if your primary target is even responsible for the thing you are ostensibly angry about. The various historical figures flit in and out of the narrative, never sticking around for long enough to care about them. The only character you can really care about is the first mate of your ship and Haytham, the first protagonist in the game who later on becomes an anti-villain, and who may be more of a hero than the actual protagonist is.

The game is meant to try and highlight some moral ambiguity, but it is undermined when the protagonist, who often seems to act as a mouthpiece for how morally ambiguous it all is, does exactly the things he **** about other people doing and doesn’t even seem to acknowledge that fact - nor does the game.

The actual historical figures generally get short shrift as well – George Washington and Samuel Adams only show up for a few sequences each, and it is hard to feel like Connor is connected to either of them in any real sense, which means that when he gets angry at them, it is hard for the player to care, either.

This game is pretty bad. Avoid it.
  13. Mar 2, 2013
    Try as I might, I really can not enjoy this game. I don't know if it is the setting (not American, so don't care for the setting); the combat; Connors brilliant sack-of-bricks charisma and personality; or what. I just can not, for the life of me, enjoy the game. I've tried multiple times to play it, and enjoy it... but it is the dullest of the AC games so far. I wish I had bought it onTry as I might, I really can not enjoy this game. I don't know if it is the setting (not American, so don't care for the setting); the combat; Connors brilliant sack-of-bricks charisma and personality; or what. I just can not, for the life of me, enjoy the game. I've tried multiple times to play it, and enjoy it... but it is the dullest of the AC games so far. I wish I had bought it on xbox, so at least I could have traded it in and replaced it with something enjoyable. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    The introduction takes ages only to reveal something "shocking" which is totally not worth it. The city is dull, generic and the npc's say the same thing. The music is gone, you just run around a generic block town with identlical npc's in silence. This is the game: Run from A to B, cutscene, rince and repeat. When a game is trying so hard to establish a story by making the player sittingThe introduction takes ages only to reveal something "shocking" which is totally not worth it. The city is dull, generic and the npc's say the same thing. The music is gone, you just run around a generic block town with identlical npc's in silence. This is the game: Run from A to B, cutscene, rince and repeat. When a game is trying so hard to establish a story by making the player sitting endlessly watching cutscenes, it's trying too damn hard. This is the first time I've uninstalled an AC game before finishing it, and it is sadly the last time I'll ever buy another. Maybe I'll play the old ones again, they still have value. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    This review is based having not got very far in the game at all, I've given up and uninstalled it - something I hardly ever do after spending significant cash on a AAA game. The most frustratingly annoying section a few hours into the game gives you a mission where you have to free some captives from three locations, two around a fort and one group on a ship. Now, it doesn't matter howThis review is based having not got very far in the game at all, I've given up and uninstalled it - something I hardly ever do after spending significant cash on a AAA game. The most frustratingly annoying section a few hours into the game gives you a mission where you have to free some captives from three locations, two around a fort and one group on a ship. Now, it doesn't matter how many times I tried to do this, always I would get detected at the last minute, for reasons completely unknown to me, you then desyncronise and have to go through the same process again, and again and again. The enemy AI is not consistent at all. One time I was able to kill a guard at the same spot and no one noticed, the next time the AI guards decide to turn round at that exact moment. I've played I don't know how many stealth games, such as Deus Ex: HR and Dishonored, so I know what stealth-action is all about. However, AC3 does not allow for even one small deviation from what I've seen. The first few hours were ok as an introduction, but still a lot of cutscenes and glitchy combat. Sorry, I know my review score might well be better had I played more, but I think I got through 4-5 hours and then decided that was enough. Pff, disappointing! Expand
  16. Dec 29, 2012
    Its a copy paste AC game... There is absolutely nothing knew to this AC game besides the story. The gameplay is exactly the same as the others. If you want a good AC game take up brotherhood, where you have options on how to play along with an amazing story. Even the main character outside of the levels goes, "oh this again?" Whenever he begins a sequence.
  17. Jan 17, 2013
    This is one of my least favorite games so far within the franchise for a few reasons. Firstly the environment in comparison to the previous games is extremely bland, in comparison to the characters in the past their is no investment or reason to care about Connor and his story due to lack of personality and character growth. The start-up of the game is extremely slow. past the point of anyThis is one of my least favorite games so far within the franchise for a few reasons. Firstly the environment in comparison to the previous games is extremely bland, in comparison to the characters in the past their is no investment or reason to care about Connor and his story due to lack of personality and character growth. The start-up of the game is extremely slow. past the point of any story pacing and seems like a huge few hour delay before the game actually begins. The big staple of the series mechanics in the past were to use rooftop access to escape pursuers, but in this game you are penalized for it extremely as in within moments you'll have dozens of guards hone in on your position, while that is annoying enough when your at a distance their rifles magically and tremendously increase their firing rate. The campaign is broken in comparison o the other games in the series and can be buggy when climbing trees, ala Connor grabbing a hole in the tree on the third try doing the exact same thing ive been doing. The only upsides is the games combat is more fluid due to change of controls with different button mapping for the controller users. Multiplayer sees some ups and downs in this entry also with the inclusion of a more robust customization system. But once again that suffers from a environmental downgrade. Expand
  18. Jan 26, 2014
    The perfect example of how to NOT make a sequel

The perfect example of how to NOT make a sequel

First, AC3 feels least like Assassin’s Creed game. From the overly specific full synchronization mission objectives to the walk-between-cutscenes missions, the player is stripped of the sandbox style of play. The game forces you to play a predetermined style, which rids of the fun. In fact, the entire game plays out like you are more of a soldier than an Assassin.

Connor is the least strong of the AC characters and I actually found him quite annoying. The game is rather shallow in that it does not delve at all into the Creed or Brotherhood, but only that it exists and is there to stop the Templars.

The game lacks any polish. First, the game suffers from poor mechanics. Fluidity and consistency are the biggest problems. While there is the random ledge grabbing and haphazard horse controls, the combat is the biggest misstep. I use to love the combat, but in AC3 it is tiresome. The counters work like half the time. The gunplay ruins any flow. I died so many cheap deaths because of the odd mechanics. Second, there are more glitches in bugs in this game than in any other game I’ve played, which is sad for a blockbuster franchise like AC.

Next, the extras do not tie into the game whatsoever. I completed the game without doing any extras. I did not find them fun and rather unnecessary unlike previous installments where I did everything. They were not explained well. Also, I did not see weapon upgrades or costume upgrades.

Other serious complaints are the rather terrible fast-travel between zones, strange menu design, and the insanely long 4 hour tutorial at the beginning of the game.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise is one of my favorites and AC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I found so much disappointment and squandered potential with AC3.
  19. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game didn't quite grasp the full extent of the Assassin's Creed series. In my opinion AC Revelations & Brotherhood are the best in the series. This game however didn't live up to my expectations. There's no final boss battle! You will just kill the final Templar & then the credits rolls up.There are no character developments either. If you didn't read the Animus database, you wouldn't even know who really is Achilles & how the Colonial Brotherhood was disbanded. The story is great but the narration sucks. Ubisoft became lazy after Ezio's success on his past three titles. The naval combat also doesn't really make a difference. I also would prefer Jesper Kyd's music over Lorne Balfe's. AC3's music didn't really impacted to me unlike the past titles. There are very few synchronization points & very few maps. Expand
  20. Mar 15, 2013
    Boring interminable unskippable cutscenes. One of the weakest stealth engines ever made (look me in the eyes and tell me the stealth aspects compare to Thief, Dishonored, Metal Gear, etc.). Combat is ok, but really it's just a less-fun ripoff of the Arkham City/Asyum melee engine.
    But here's the real problem: NO JUMP BUTTON. How do you make a platform game without a jump button? From the hype, I was hoping for a third-person Mirror's Edge, but all you do is hold down "run" and point the analog stick and the game plays itself. It's like a barely interactive cutscene. Imagine if you were playing an FPS where you just held down a "safety off" button and the guns all fired automatically whenever an enemy wandered into the crosshairs. Doesn't sound fun, does it? Neither is this.
  21. Jan 12, 2013
    Simply put, this game is amazing. It's visually stunning, and a lot of fun to play, most of the time. All the glitches are what drags it down to a 3/10 for me. When you spend 4-5 hours doing the same mission over and over again due to a glitch that they won't patch. They don't deserve your money.
  22. Dec 20, 2012
    So far it's good, not great though. the graphics have improved over Revelations and the gameplay is a lot simpler (for the better) BUT in pretty much half the missions you have absolutely no idea what to do and after failing a few times you figure out how to progress, plus the actual design of the different levels you get thrown into during missions is herendous, it's almost impossible toSo far it's good, not great though. the graphics have improved over Revelations and the gameplay is a lot simpler (for the better) BUT in pretty much half the missions you have absolutely no idea what to do and after failing a few times you figure out how to progress, plus the actual design of the different levels you get thrown into during missions is herendous, it's almost impossible to get 100% synchronization in most levels, I still have no idea what the developers were smoking when they designed these areas and it is extremely infuriating. The story is alright for an AC game and some of the characters interesting, but most are pretty one-dimensional and boring as heck. Overall it's leaving me a bit disappointed, it's like Ubisoft added some really interesting mechanics to the game but at the same time COMPLETELY butchered what made previous games great, and forgot how to design levels in the process, AND completely threw away any form of guidance to help you figure out what the hell you're doing half the time. This is supposed to be a great starting point for new players to the series but if an AC veteran that has played every single game in the series gets totally confused and frustrated half the time how the heck is someone new to the series supposed to get through the entire campaign?? All in all AC 3 is basically a mess, a shiny mess, yes. But still a mess Expand
  23. Dec 28, 2012
    Amazing graphics and cinematics... but that's about it. Ubisoft no longer pays any attention to PC gamers, who prefer to play with mouse and keyboard. Game is completely reliant on a controller and if you don't have one or don't like playing with one, you cannot play this game because the controls are impossible. This is a big one to me, as I've always been a big fan of the AC series, evenAmazing graphics and cinematics... but that's about it. Ubisoft no longer pays any attention to PC gamers, who prefer to play with mouse and keyboard. Game is completely reliant on a controller and if you don't have one or don't like playing with one, you cannot play this game because the controls are impossible. This is a big one to me, as I've always been a big fan of the AC series, even back when it didn't reach that much publicity. Now I am forced to use a controller, something I do not enjoy in the slightest, to play one of my favorite franchises. The combat and gameplay is completely lineair, blocking off any creativity from the player. If you're looking for a good assassin game, I'd recommend Dishonored as I have had way more fun playing that than AC III, despite it's superior graphics. Assassin's Creed III is no asset to the franchise, instead it looks like it's going down the same road as the ever-criticized Call of Duty. Save yourself the frustration and the money, unless you're a die-hard fan of the AC lore, don't buy AC III. Expand
  24. Jan 18, 2013
    BORING. That ´s how you define this game in 1 word. The game history and "open world" gameplay keep the pace so slow that i almost don´t see how can they have done the assassins creed 2 trilogy.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    Getting to the forest as Haytham Kenway and not being able to run in the trees made me laugh because of how racist it seemed. Anywho, the game is pretty riddled with glitches at some points and I'm not one for wanting to redo the same level twice in a row for something I have no control over. I wouldn't play it again personally, but Assassin's Creed has always been interesting before thisGetting to the forest as Haytham Kenway and not being able to run in the trees made me laugh because of how racist it seemed. Anywho, the game is pretty riddled with glitches at some points and I'm not one for wanting to redo the same level twice in a row for something I have no control over. I wouldn't play it again personally, but Assassin's Creed has always been interesting before this installment. Expand
  26. May 2, 2016
    This game is a buggy P.O.S. it is not playable, the "challenge" of this game is getting anything to work so you can in fact "play" it, i got this game in 2016 and it doesn't work, i have had people tell me this game was boring but i love ac 1,2,4 so i decided to come back and give it a far chance but i cant even play the game, i dont even have enough space here to list everything wrongThis game is a buggy P.O.S. it is not playable, the "challenge" of this game is getting anything to work so you can in fact "play" it, i got this game in 2016 and it doesn't work, i have had people tell me this game was boring but i love ac 1,2,4 so i decided to come back and give it a far chance but i cant even play the game, i dont even have enough space here to list everything wrong with it. the short answer is you cant play it, i am so glad i played ac 4 before this one cause this would have put me off ac forever, although it still may have put me off ubisoft games so i guess the same effect, If you dont want my money ubisoft fine just stop making **** ports this is disgraceful. Expand
  27. Jun 13, 2014
    Sadly, Assassin's Creed 3 does little to differentiate itself from it's predecessors, spends the first third of the game on tutorials, and is otherwise a bit on the boring side. All this could be forgiven if it weren't for the fact that the PC port is terrible and crashes constantly. I have literally never uninstalled a game before I finished playing it. Congratulations AC:3. You were soSadly, Assassin's Creed 3 does little to differentiate itself from it's predecessors, spends the first third of the game on tutorials, and is otherwise a bit on the boring side. All this could be forgiven if it weren't for the fact that the PC port is terrible and crashes constantly. I have literally never uninstalled a game before I finished playing it. Congratulations AC:3. You were so bad that I couldn't be bothered to finish you. Expand
  28. Dec 31, 2013
    The lowest point in the series. Not only does it run like an awful console port with enhanced textures (it is) there is a show stopping bug at EVER. SINGLE. FRAGMENT. of each sequence. It felt like I was playing a random number generator instead of being a part of a scripted game. Even though the writing is a bit forced into the genre, it is the only redeeming part of the game.
  29. Jan 27, 2014
    I have played and finished every single AC game upto this one and pretty much liked them. But my god how I hated this one. The gameplay seems to be taken right out of a beta version of the AC I. Guards get stuck in invisible walls all the time. Guards don't see you when standing right next to them, but then again see you 1 mile away. On the PC the map and every other menu makes you wantI have played and finished every single AC game upto this one and pretty much liked them. But my god how I hated this one. The gameplay seems to be taken right out of a beta version of the AC I. Guards get stuck in invisible walls all the time. Guards don't see you when standing right next to them, but then again see you 1 mile away. On the PC the map and every other menu makes you want to hit something. Quests usualy just start by talking to some dude without ANY explanation. You just run up to him, and a marker appears on the map. Many times the quest-dude just said "thank you" and the quest was over before I did anything (must have killed the particular guard sometime before?!). Immersion is broken all the time when silly things are happening all around you. For example, the main character gets a cut on his face, gets a pad soaked in alcohol pressed on it and 1 second later there is a closeup of his face and the cut is gone. I could go on and on but I wan't to forget about this game as fast as I can. Expand
  30. Mar 29, 2014
    The most annoying game i've ever played, worst than sleeping dogs. I don't want to climb and stay on top of everything. Killing half of the city isn't a problem but shoving them is inappropriate. Riding a horse can't be more difficult i guess, i don't understand why both character and horse stop moving when something block their way and don't care the damn distance between the target, thisThe most annoying game i've ever played, worst than sleeping dogs. I don't want to climb and stay on top of everything. Killing half of the city isn't a problem but shoving them is inappropriate. Riding a horse can't be more difficult i guess, i don't understand why both character and horse stop moving when something block their way and don't care the damn distance between the target, this is really ridiculous. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Assassin’s Creed III proves to be, despite its promises, a rather indecisive game. It comes with so many strong elements, that it could have been the best Assassin’s Creed ever, but it fails to harmonically balance those elements. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 offers a spectacular way to fill in the blanks in your knowledge of the American Revolution - it never holds back on scope, drama or action.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jan 23, 2013
    What, no French revolution? For Europeans, birth of the United States is not really very interesting time nor environment. And after Ezio (or Haytham Kenway), Connor is bland, irritating protagonist. Game is also full of chores that add very little to the experience. [Jan 2013]