7.2

1. Jan 30, 2015
    Amazing game, you will not regret buying. Anyone considering this should buy because it is a worthy investment both for your money and for your time spent as a gamer on this top quality product/company.
  2. Sep 23, 2014
    Don't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who haveDon't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who have their own agendas & you have a game that will keep you up at night just to see what happens next. Expand
  3. Aug 30, 2014
    Now if this was a review of the game after it's release it would be a few notches lower. The game released quite clearly unfinished and the developers admitted so and were committed to continuing the bug hunt and perfecting this game and they did just that.

This version of Baldur's Gate and it's equal are the definitive versions. Bugs old and new have been destroyed, works perfectly on new computers (as someone who used to have to install multiple mods to run my disc based version that if one failed the process would have to be repeated from game install, and that's before windscreen mods - This has saved me endless hair tearing and screaming in my household.)

The new content is absolutely perfect, the extra equipment a godsend (club proficiency pays of now!) and I personally have to fight which of the new characters accompany me. The three of them are among the best characters in the game, character and proficiency wise and certainly make up for the other characters silence with the BG II level of dialogue.

IF you are a BG fan and can't be bothered getting those old disc out or sick of headbutting the wall after playing 20 hours to find a mod has messed up a crucial element and you have to reinstall the entire game then do yourself a favour and pick up this copy.

Anybody new to BG, this is most definitely the copy for you.
  4. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-madeBeamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-made mods to, I would just go to GoG and buy an original copy (or find my six installation CDs from the 90's). The enhanced edition brings me the game I remember with less of the bugs and some truly optimal new features (use of the BG2 engine, spells and class kits, constant patches for continued upgrades, etc.). I am glad to own this game, and I have already logged over 300 hours playing on BG:EE. Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2014
    I think peoples will buy this just to see "enhanced" game with run on modern computer at 1-fps, which normally could run on toaster at 60-fps. This is Guiness Record for worst improvement category. This is like use donkey to pull Ferrari.
  6. Jul 2, 2014
    I first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding newI first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding new quests and cool npcs. Really don't see why this game is rated at 7.1 at the moment but I guess different people like different games. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    New interface and higher resolution font (patched in Nov. 2013)
    + Many bug fixes and BG2-ruleset incorporation
    - Same low resolution sprites and backgrounds - High price for existing free community content - New cutscenes are inferior and nebulous Baldur's Gate 1 is a great game, but this product isn't disappointing by itself; it's disappointing because it is establishing a low
    New interface and higher resolution font (patched in Nov. 2013)
    + Many bug fixes and BG2-ruleset incorporation

- Same low resolution sprites and backgrounds
    - High price for existing free community content
    - New cutscenes are inferior and nebulous

Baldur's Gate 1 is a great game, but this product isn't disappointing by itself; it's disappointing because it is establishing a low bar which will undoubtedly be reproduced in the "EE" versions of BG2 and potentially Planescape: Torment. The only people I could recommend play this are those with strong nostalgia for the original. It's unfortunate that the original studios no longer exist to retain control of their license.
  8. Oct 16, 2013
    Worth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame theWorth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame the enhancements were so slight. Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, always has been. It's good to be finally able to get to play the game even on a whim, without having to go through the trouble of getting it to work on new PCs, setting up mods to make it worthwhile and so on. In it's current stage, it has no game-stopping bugs; in fact it worked just fine for me even in multiplayer from day one.

The new characters and content

The new characters and content are interesting enough, and even though I had some doubts about the Black Pits at first, I found it fun as well, with good gameplay and characters. The best thing about BG:EE is that it will get continued support with new patches and content as we go along... and to me it's also important as a necessary step towards BG2:EE, an enhanced version of what I view as the best RPG of all time.
  10. Sep 26, 2013
    This game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back andThis game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back and forth between six CD ROM. The new resolutions, textures, zoom out feature, etc all assist in a level of enjoyment not possible with the original. In compliment, there's a few extra characters to expand the roaming level of augmented possibility (especially for when BG2:EE is released). On a downside, the new "Cut-scenes" are hit and miss; they lack the original talent of the talented collaborators Baldur's Gate development team (first release PS Interplay I miss you so much). Also the new portraits are clumsy in contrast to the old. Overall? Who doesn't want to play automated and updated Dungeons and Dragons from the original success story, rendered with a constructive revision?

Obviously, this is a revamp of an old classic. I still consider Baldur's Gate essentially unparallelled in immersion and depth within the RPG genre; but let's call a spade a spade. This game is great, but not built from the ground up. Imagine what could be possible with the dynamics of this game in a new body?

9.2/10

-youcreatea
  11. Sep 12, 2013
    Having owned the original version of this game with several discs, it must be said that the main reason for obtaining this game is convenience. The enhanced edition adds a few extra characters and quests here and there, but it is largely the same as the original. There have been a number of issues with bugs in the steam edition, but these are fixable and hopefully updates are on the wayHaving owned the original version of this game with several discs, it must be said that the main reason for obtaining this game is convenience. The enhanced edition adds a few extra characters and quests here and there, but it is largely the same as the original. There have been a number of issues with bugs in the steam edition, but these are fixable and hopefully updates are on the way now that contractual issues have been resolved. Worth a positive score simply because the original game was that good, but this port has not enhanced the game in any particular way. Definitely worth playing if you enjoy RPG's, it's the most in depth game of it's time. Expand
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    Better than the original Baldur Gate for me.Nice new characters and higher level cup.I also loved the new adventure, The Black Pits.I stil play it.I hope they have a similar adventure to Baldurs Gate 2.I didnt find a lot of bugs.If you liked the first Baldurs Gate you must buy the enhanced edition and play it.
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    The game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due toThe game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due to hardcoding). Also it contains all fixes contained in any of the fixpacks released for Tutu/BG2 and modders like Camdawg have been working with the development team to improve the game. So astralphoenix77's statement that BGEE is "obsolete" because of other community patches is actually far from the truth. The game actually uses an updated version of the ToB engine, better than the version being used by Tutu/BGT.

Overall I'd say this is worth spending the extra money on. The new kits they added are interesting, there are no game-breaking bugs (unlike a lot of the older NPC mods for BG2 that haven't been updated in years like Saerileth), and you'll get plenty of hours out of it regardless of how much you pay. Plus you'll be able to use the new kits when BG2EE comes out.
  14. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is a polished up version of the original. Others have posted that in some way this version is worse, they obviously don't own it. My only complaint is that not more was added.

Still remains one of the best rpgs of all time. Get it on sale on steam.
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    I can't disagree with everyone else saying that "it's the same old game," because it is. What did you expect? If you're not willing to pay $20 to replay Baldur's Gate, then don't get it. I do, however, think that this game is a steal if you get while it's on sale. I picked it up for $5 while it was a "midweek madness" deal on Steam.

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced Edition brought, things that, when absent, make the original game almost unbearable to play. Ammunition stacks to 80 (yay!), potions stack to 15, containers, and all of the improvements that Shadows of Amn made to the game.

I had a ton of fun replaying Baldur's Gate and thought that the Enhanced Edition was a steal for $5. Even if I had bought it for $20, I still wouldn't feel cheated I currently have 41 hours of playtime on it, and haven't even beaten it yet (although I think I am in the last stage of the game).

Overall I would say, lots of fun as is to be expected from Baldur's Gate, great improvements to the game, great nostalgia trip but if you're not willing to shell out $20 for it, wait for it to go on sale in Steam and then pick it up.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    Though I appreciate the effort of the team behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, it sadly is diminished by the hard work of the original game's modding community, who have been able to do great things already with a still great game.

To those who want to play Baldur's Gate for the first time, I'll leave a link to the ideal version which is available for purchase and download. The site provides and thoroughly useful and effective mod guide that will update the game in more ways than you could imagine, all the while retaining a cheap ten dollar price and managing to make far better addition than this Enhanced Edition.

Baldur's Gate: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

Modding Guide: http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    A pretty good upgrade to the game with out really adding a great deal to the original adventure and at a slight expensive price. Still a classic and worth playing.
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    This is not actually a review of the game which have obviously been one of the greatest games of the past.

This version of the game is absolutely ridiculous. It adds nearly nothing except a little more barely playable content. The number of bugs is astonishing, playing a multiplayer game, which is actually what most of the people buying it would have probably wanted to do is

This version of the game is absolutely ridiculous.

It adds nearly nothing except a little more barely playable content.

The number of bugs is astonishing, playing a multiplayer game, which is actually what most of the people buying it would have probably wanted to do is nearly impossible due to the fact that almost everything get bugged, it's seriously almost impossible to play, i can't believe how somebody can release something like that and how anybody in the world who calls himself a critic can review a steaming piece of work like this one in a positive way, it's just a money ripoff for a thing that plainly doesn't work.

The price also isn't cheap at all for a game that have been released a lot of time ago and most of people have already bought once.

This game is very old and still feels very old, nostalgic player should stick to the old version and younger player who want to play a living piece of gaming history should search for a cheaper, older version, possibly modded and fixed from the community (better than this one, and for free)
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    Worst game i have ever played combat system sucks graphics are terrible game is painfully slow this hasnt aged well atall still has loads of bugs feels sluggish just a complete and utter pain to play people who praise this game praise from nostalgia steer clear.
  20. Cik
    Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent game, and a first of its' kind when first released. Now at $5 on steam again, it earns itself a 10 becasue it is the absolute best rpg and series of its' time .

This game set the stage for the genre and giving it anything but a 10 is like giving Alexander Graham Bell anything but a 10 for being the pioneer in communication with the Telephone.
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    After also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to modAfter also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to mod the game the way they like it or bump up the difficulty as a work-around for their personal issues. Graphically this version is SWEET. The added sound files are nice. The add ons are all good. Only TRUE problem is the price. $20 is too much. $10 is perfect. Apparently there are some issues with Atari which mean the enhanced version of BG2 has been delayed. This may not be a bad thing. The GOG version of BG2 is already near-perfect, so Beam Dog will probably have to work a bit harder to create any new value with an enhanced version. Good things take time. This game is a MUST BUY when its on sale at around $5. Expand
  22. Jun 12, 2013
    I thought this would be a modernized version of an old game. Instead it plays like a very old game. It's dumb. There is a mod out for Neverwinter Nights 2 that recreates Baldur's gate, and so I recommend people play that. I was ripped off twenty bucks simply because I couldn't believe they would charge that amount for a game that wasn't of certain quality. I was wrong.
  23. Jun 2, 2013
    The ridiculously low negative reviews are unjustified. The game is exactly what it says it is: an enhanced version of Balder's Gate. I didn't experience any of the crashes some of the other uses reported and while i do think it is a little overpriced for the slight enhancements it provides, i still think its worth a buy.
  24. May 20, 2013
    To a fan of the other original....skip it.....to a new comer....it MIGHT be what you're looking for. I'd personally recommend getting the originals off of GoG and then adding mods to bring it up to your tastes, since the fan mods aren't bound by the same restrictions Beamdog was and have put forth a much more enjoyable game.

Well it was a project doomed to failure before it even began.

Well it was a project doomed to failure before it even began. They're under contract to not change ANY of the original story plots or character quests, which means anyone hoping to see BG and BG2 in the way they were MEANT to be played, without the time constraints that forced so many quests and characters to be dropped...you're out of luck. Even among the modding community only a handful of the unfinished quests and plots have been implemented. And those terms are very likely to carry forth to BG2:EE as well. Meaning several character's questlines and plot points will remain tragically cut short, and ToB will still be a gutted, contradictory mess of what was supposed to have been an epic third full game (not an expansion) finale to the series.

And rather then correcting oversights in the BG2 engine that EE uses, they've broken it even further. Not to mention the new kits that are utterly broken (either they don't work at all, or are stupidly overpowered). But I don't 100% blame the developers for that. BG2's hasty release resulted in several official kits being grossly more powerful then intended and Beamdog simply based their new kits on those already in the game, since they're contract bound to not re-balance the kits. The new NPCs are somewhat of a mixed bag. Dorn is an overpowered monster that doesn't need a party at all, while Neera and Rashad are closer to proper NPCs (Rashad being grossly underestimated due to the fact that a low level monk plays MUCH differently then a high level one, rather then playing the same way throughout as in 3rd edition). The 4th hidden character, despite having ridiculous stats (they don't really do anything worth while to warrant griping about, unlike Dorn), isn't a gamebreaker any more then any other npc part-caster can be, and has a reasonably well written personality. With exception to Dorn, who needs some heavy tweaking, the NPCs weren't too bad.
  25. May 18, 2013
    I didn't actually have a single problem running this game, although if you alt+tab out, there is a minor map scrolling problem with the mouse. Sadly this "enchanced" edition has some irritating bugs. Sometimes when you steal and you're caught, it won't announce it above your character. If you kill a person in a town, sometimes their scream for help will repeat in town throughout the restI didn't actually have a single problem running this game, although if you alt+tab out, there is a minor map scrolling problem with the mouse. Sadly this "enchanced" edition has some irritating bugs. Sometimes when you steal and you're caught, it won't announce it above your character. If you kill a person in a town, sometimes their scream for help will repeat in town throughout the rest of the game even when you were in a building. In a certain town, some NPCs scream and run for help upon you doing battle with enemies even if they are not close to you, the NPCs ordinary dialogue still triggers. There are a lot of containers (specifically shelves) which trigger the stealing module when you look at the contents which makes no sense. Neither does stealing something and then walking into a persons vision without stealth. Stealing is more effort than it's worth, money is plentiful in this game. The sounds and gfx are far from special. Sadly the game has issues with balance of some classes, party characters, exp and quest rewards. The quest log/journal is good once you get used to the chapter thing but far from perfect, many quests are left in after passing and sometimes it's not updated properly or repeats a characters quest in a new chapter. Baldur's gate is a mess, there is a wall splitting the map in many of the nine areas and finding NPCs by entering a building map or area map is not possible. Overall I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the game, the difficulty was okay although fairly easy after the early levels. I also noticed in the one case where I thought "Know Alignment might be useful here..." my character pointed out that the guy telling the truth sounded like he was telling the truth, this was incredibly insulting as it literally solved the dilemma for me without apparently requiring anything like a ****king stat check. Holy Expand
  26. Apr 29, 2013
    This was pretty much the exact same game as the original. I never once had an issue with gameplay or bugs, and liked the simple additions.

I cannot wait for the release of the Enhanced Edition for BG2.
  27. Apr 17, 2013
    I wouldve given the game 8 in its current state, but gave it 10 to offset the rediculous "0" reviews... Bassically this is the same old game you know and love, if youve played BG1. The core game is largely untouched and the only things changed are the interface, better high res support, bug fixes (get to this one in a minute), and a much better, gutted code base.
  28. Apr 5, 2013
    An excellent release of Baldur's Gate along with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion included, so you get to play in Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard as well as the Cloud Peaks. I've used most of the new characters (apart from the Blackguard), and they fit in well. The voice acting is great and the story fits in just fine. The game itself has the fastest launch known to mankind, and theAn excellent release of Baldur's Gate along with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion included, so you get to play in Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard as well as the Cloud Peaks. I've used most of the new characters (apart from the Blackguard), and they fit in well. The voice acting is great and the story fits in just fine. The game itself has the fastest launch known to mankind, and the whole thing is just really well polished. I'd give it a 10, but the very first quest (to get a scroll of identify) is broken, as is the Doppelgänger quest later in the game. Those are the only two niggles top marks for the rest. Expand
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    One of the most beloved PC RPGs returns, but all is not nostalgically rosy, and it's not because of any lessening of the quality of the content through modern eyes, but rather the lack of value this version of the game represents.

All the game does is take the (free) Tutu engine modification, slap it on, add a couple of new characters and quests, and triple the price of the game. They also managed to introduce a load of new bugs into the game that community patches had mostly fixed with the old versions. Of course, those community patches now don't work properly with this version, so it's technically inferior as well.

Here in the UK, this game costs £14.99 on Steam. Alternatively, you can buy the entire Baldur's Gate series from GOG.com collectively for £13.26 ($19.98), and apply the free Tutu mod (or BG Trilogy mod if you prefer, which does a similar thing) to get about three times the content for a lower cost. Do that instead of buying this.
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    Excellent game, and honestly, considering the time that has passed, it still looks and plays great. If you're an AD&D or Forgotten Realms fan, it'll be right up your alley. They've fixed about 600 bugs that people have reported since launch at this point, and they're flying through all of the rest as people keep reporting them. Excellent game with an excellent support team.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.