7.1

1. Feb 24, 2013
    Baldur's Gate itself, is a solid 10/10 for its time and genre. A classic RPG worth visiting if you were too young when it was originally released out to enjoy it. The story is great and the game play and atmosphere is very strong, drawing you in. This however, is pretty much the exact same game, repackaged and a re-sold. I struggled to find the new things (it had been about 10 years since i played it).

I feel like they should have just went ahead and used a different engine for the game (like the neverwinter nights 2 one, or something similar and more stable). And actually, you know, "update" it.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    I was biased. I WANTED to love this game. Baldur's Gate II is in my top five games of all time, no question. Baldur's Gate wasn't as polished, but it was a great buildup for the superior sequel. When I saw EE out, I dropped the money without hesitation. Before I knew it, I was drawn right back in and pounding through the game once more with a Sorcerer.

God damn was it frustrating!

On
    the good side: the new characters are fantastic, though their balance is questionable. All three have such good voice acting and character development that they honestly feel as if they were there from the beginning. As to the balance I mentioned, Dorn is a killing machine that puts Minsc to shame. Neera is a wild mage... which... well you know about wild mages. Rasaad is a meat popsickle. I liked his character, so I played with him the entire game. He was terrible, simply because low level monks are worthless in this edition of the D&D ruleset. Ironically they scale incredibly well, so by the end of BG2 Rasaad is going to be a rampaging god of death. But he is simply dead weight in BG1.

On the bad side: they say they added over 400 improvements? Well they broke just as many things. The game is riddled with bugs, and considering how many hours I've put into the original BG1 and BG2, I feel rather sure that a lot of these bugs weren't around before. Nothing is game breaking (except for one big one I'll mention in a second), but its a lot of very pervasive minor stuff. Characters will audibly confirm a movement order, then not move until you click a second time. Characters won't autoattack when they should. It was enough that halfway through, I was feeling pretty disillusioned. I could have bought the gog non-enhanced version for half the price, and except for the new characters been perfectly happy. The nail in the coffin for me did not come until the very end however.

I beat Sarevok in the final showdown, the game pauses and gives the message 'congratulations on beating Sarevok! Your game will now be saved for export to BG2!'. And then it crashed to desktop. A quick google search showed that this is a bug that was well known before the beta, quite a few people have experienced it, and they released the game with it still there. I didn't get to see the ending cinematic. I don't really care. I just feel ripped off that on top of all the small bugs, this huge bug made it through to production. It ended the experience on a giant, wet and floppy sour note.

I won't be buying BG2:EE.
  3. Jan 4, 2013
    The game had a very buggy release, but within a month Overhaul games had released 5 comprehensive updates that fixed most (if not all) of the bugs. Plus they fixed some old bugs that were present in the original release that had never been fixed.

Now you get to experience the original game in all it's glory, with the kits and new weapon specialities from BGII, plus 3 new (very well
    done) characters. The game is EXTREMELY challenging by today's standards, even on the normal difficulty. But you can raise the difficulty to the max setting for a truly challenging experience that few modern games can rival. And you will get engrossed in the world of Faerun!!!

I think the review scores for this game are much lower than they should be due to the admittedly very buggy release. But now after 5 comprehensive updates, the game in a masterpiece.
  4. Dec 27, 2012
    Although this version costs $10 more than GoG's, I personally think it's a good deal. It runs much better than original game with super fast save/loading which keeps the gameplay very fluent. Additional features such as interface tweak, journal entries, camera zooming etc. are all well-done and make the game even more enjoyable to play. the new contents such black pits are also a very fun dungeon crawling experience. However, I would say if you already had the gog version and knew how to mod the game well then you probably should pass on this version, since the new contents are not worth the cost. Expand
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    A great game with some new bonus content, and most importantly it will run on newer operating systems in the proper resolution. Unfortunately the amount of new content is a bit limited for the price tag. Some new characters with side quests and some interface improvements may not justify 20 dollars if you already own the original and have modded it to a state that is pretty similar to what BG:Enhanced gives you. Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    Gave it a 9/10. On the basis of nostalgia alone this game has some very good advantages. It's fully moddable, has a strong community and the content is all properly there. While there is some minor bugs with the release, it's nothing that will stop a person from playing after a driver fix or two.

Most of all the important thing is that the game is ready to be introduced to a new
    generation, and it does well with meshing all of what the community integrated over the last ten+ years from the original release.

New content and voice overs are excellent, the black pit was rather challenging and required good tactical knowledge of D&D. (It's not hurting the golem! What's that sword enhancement rating?)

Mostly I like the new characters, the Djinni, and the new party NPC's both of which have certain shall we say, romance elements. All in all I applaud Overhaul games on a job well done and look forward to Baldur's Gate 2.
  7. Jan 24, 2013
    A very good 'spruce up' of easily my favourite game of all time. Sure there were a few launch bugs (some of which have yet to be ironed out) and the new dialogue isn't in the same league as the older material, but this is a classic game given new life and for that is to be applauded. Any fan of the series will revel in the immersion and atmosphere of the original replete with all the worthwhile changes from Baldur's Gate 2. Newcomers will find the embodiment of a classic, story-driven isometric RPG before the shamefully barren period that followed it. Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is for the most part the way it once was back when it was released about 15 years ago, but it comes with three extra companions, a multi-level gladiator arena called the Black Pits, and supposedly 400 fixes. I give this game an earnest 7/10 because for the most part, it is still a solid game as it once was, and the writing for both the companions and the Black Pits seem decent. Where this game lost marks on, however, is the seemingly lack of content. 15 years later, this game really hasn't changed much, and much of the improvements can be found through modding the original game at absolutely no charge. There seems more readily apparent bugs than what was fixed, and the new content simply do not seem all that extensive. The companion dialogues and adventures are all rather short, and the Black Pits consists but only two areas. Furthermore, the original cinematic cutscenes were cut out in favor of 2d artistic renditions, which, while looks decent, seems diminutive compared to the original movies. All-in-all, it is still a decent game. After six patches, the original version of Baldur's Gate with a mod or two still seems the better version compared to this "Enhanced Edition." However, there is currently people who are active in modding this Enhanced Edition, and if the momentum in this department continues forth, this version may potentially exceed the original yet. There is also supposed to be a matchmaking service for multiplayer looming on the horizon, so again, it might be something to look forward to. Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2013
    I thought this would be a modernized version of an old game. Instead it plays like a very old game. It's dumb. There is a mod out for Neverwinter Nights 2 that recreates Baldur's gate, and so I recommend people play that. I was ripped off twenty bucks simply because I couldn't believe they would charge that amount for a game that wasn't of certain quality. I was wrong.
  10. Cik
    Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent game, and a first of its' kind when first released. Now at $5 on steam again, it earns itself a 10 becasue it is the absolute best rpg and series of its' time .

This game set the stage for the genre and giving it anything but a 10 is like giving Alexander Graham Bell anything but a 10 for being the pioneer in communication with the Telephone.
  11. Jan 19, 2013
    What a waste of resources. I loved BG at its time but really, that time has long since passed and this game with the same ancient graphics and almost same story is just not worth it today.
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    Baldur's Gate needs no introduction. Setting the bar for what crpg's should be for the next decade, the Baldur's Gate released in the late 90's have gone down in the history books as the golden standard. THIS game however does little to improve on that. In fact, it does worse. There is nothing offered here that one cannot already find by means of mods for the originals. No hi-def resolution. No graphics settings of any kind. SLOW loading and stuttering gameplay put a blemish on the original. I cannot see this as anything but a cash grab by the developers. Shame on them for that. This is the equivalent of giving the Mona Lisa a facelift using spraypaint. I'm all for supporting indie developers, but this isn't a charity. I will NOT be buying the subsequent releases. I will be returning this game via credit card chargeback. Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    I daresay that Overhaul Games has revived a classic RPG. This game takes me back to my childhood fond memories. While it is true that it is possible to install the older game onto new operating systems, I found the process long and boring. Now, I can just log into the internet, download, and play this game. I haven't ran into any bugs although I know others have. Truly I cannot wait until Overhaul does BG2- Enhanced Edition as well. Thanks Overhaul! Expand
  14. Jan 29, 2013
    Very disapointed since I was looking forward to this re release. But Intel gfx here so the game suffers from rendering issues. for the price they ask they should be delivering a flawless experiences after 10 years.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    Worth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame the enhancements were so slight. Expand
  16. Nov 29, 2012
    My first impression is that this is the Baldur's Gate I know and love. Only buggier. In just under two hours of gameplay i've had no less than five crashes, something that would be quite unheard of if I were playing the non "enhanced" BG. On the plus side, there are some new elements added to the mix including a handful of original NPCs which are very well written and voiced, as well as a new musical score by Sam Hulick. The gameplay that made Baldur's Gate so amazing remains intact, and has been enhanced in several places. In others, it has actually become worse. The UI for example, is a serious step backward. My overall feeling is that you could have just as good an experience playing the original Baldur's Gate as buying this so called "Enhanced edition". Collapse
  17. May 18, 2013
    I didn't actually have a single problem running this game, although if you alt+tab out, there is a minor map scrolling problem with the mouse. Sadly this "enchanced" edition has some irritating bugs. Sometimes when you steal and you're caught, it won't announce it above your character. If you kill a person in a town, sometimes their scream for help will repeat in town throughout the rest of the game even when you were in a building. In a certain town, some NPCs scream and run for help upon you doing battle with enemies even if they are not close to you, the NPCs ordinary dialogue still triggers. There are a lot of containers (specifically shelves) which trigger the stealing module when you look at the contents which makes no sense. Neither does stealing something and then walking into a persons vision without stealth. Stealing is more effort than it's worth, money is plentiful in this game. The sounds and gfx are far from special. Sadly the game has issues with balance of some classes, party characters, exp and quest rewards. The quest log/journal is good once you get used to the chapter thing but far from perfect, many quests are left in after passing and sometimes it's not updated properly or repeats a characters quest in a new chapter. Baldur's gate is a mess, there is a wall splitting the map in many of the nine areas and finding NPCs by entering a building map or area map is not possible. Overall I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the game, the difficulty was okay although fairly easy after the early levels. I also noticed in the one case where I thought "Know Alignment might be useful here..." my character pointed out that the guy telling the truth sounded like he was telling the truth, this was incredibly insulting as it literally solved the dilemma for me without apparently requiring anything like a ****king stat check. Holy Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    I had great hopes, becausei absolutely loved and adored baldur's gate 2.. and having never played BG1, i was very excited..turns out, it did not hold up for me.. you would have a better experience with the game when using the Gog edition.. with all the community content..
  19. Dec 14, 2012
    Those who vote "0" are morons - they vote the lowest possible rating to make the biggest difference. Utterly pathetic.

I, however, give it a 10. The reason? This is Baldur's Gate - they can release it a million more times and I will "10" it a million more times.

That is all.
  20. Jan 30, 2013
    Quite a treat for us infinity fans, the franchise is just the best out there, BG was, is and will be the epitome of rpg story driven adventure of all time.

At this point - several major patches have arrived making the rather unpolished initial release quite impressive.

Simply a must for any fan or newcomer of strategy rpg.

Oh yea almost forgot, ad&d 2nd edition is just spot on.
  21. Feb 7, 2013
    i bought this because i thought it included baldur's gate 2. sadly it doesn't. the graphics are no joy. there is actually a mod that uses graphics from baldur's gate 2 in baldur's gate 1 which improves the game's enjoyment quite a bit. it may still be around on the net. baldur's gate 2 remains one of the greatest games of all time. it was inspired and nothing has really come close to it since.
  22. Dec 20, 2012
    Okay, first. Stuff the negative reviews lol.

While the game isn't as improved as I would have hoped it would have been, it remains an exceptionally good game. And the extra's (like the new NPCs) and new styling Overhaul gave the game fits brilliantly.

WotC put the kybosh on making more wide sweeping changes (like a new engine, 3d graphics etc) sadly, and gave Overhaul a fairly short
    Dev Cycle. And taking that into consideration what they did do with the game was decent.

Also going forward Overhaul are continuing to patch in fairly major features that didn't make the initial release, on pretty much every platform. So being released as it was was not a "money grab" as some have intimated.

Given the ridiculousness of the 0 reviews (not helpful guys) I feel compelled to give this game a higher score than I would have ordinarily.

The remake is not as extensive as I could have liked, but its fricking Baldur's Gate. You simply can not be sad about getting more BG. **** about paying a tenner for new BG stuff is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

It would have been a 7 out of 10 for me as it stands. But giving higher to offset.
  23. Feb 11, 2013
    Aside from the bugs, it is an alright game (note I never played it before, so no nostalgia) and I am not using any of the classes from Baldur's Gate 2 anyway. This game just simply is not fantastic. The voice acting is ok, but its annoying how often the characters talk when you control them, especially the extremely annoying Xzar you find early on. The music is good, the combat is ok (so many misses early game) characters are cool, but rarely bother to talk aside from those annoying movement lines. Story is mediocre. Oh and the intel graphics problems are so easily fixed, you actually don't deserve the game if you think they are a problem. Fixed it in 10 minutes. Game runs fine afterwards. Expand
  24. Dec 5, 2012
    Well, I'm not going to review Baldur's Gate here. The game is a timeless classic, one of my all-time favourites and about as good as roleplaying for the PC ever was. Nothing about that has changed. So I AM going to review the "enhancements", the things that they charged me 20 additional bucks for.
    The technical part of the enhancement is a bit of a letdown actually. Almost everything good
    is simply a continuation of fan made mods that have been there, done that, years before. Everyone who (like me) has played BG 1 in the BG 2 engine by BGtutu, downloaded the Weidu mods or numerous fan fixes will not really notice anything groundbreakingly new. The zoom-in option is nice, at least one step above the already availbale high-res mods. Nothing really special here.
    None of my personal pet peeves and actual technical shortcomings have been addressed, though. The pathfinding AI is still abysmally bad (Firewine dungeon is still the same old unnerving headless chicken dance, when all that would be required is to change the scripts to allow player characters to pass through each other). The pRNG (pseudo random number generator) is still broken - things with a probability of 1/20 keep happening 3 times in a row (probability of 1 in 8000) way too often to be random whenever the pRNG gets stuck on a bad seed. All in all, underwhelming on the technical aspects.
    What about the additional content?
    Well, I would rate that way higher, if the two new NPCs I'm currently running with were not built either on full purpose to annoy the player or with such an amount of ineptitude it hurts.
    Neera the wild mage is a character, completely unable to do her only job. At level 1, with 4 hitpoints, she better NOT cast any spells (her only use), as there's a 1 in 20 chance for a mishap that might (and very often WILL) kill her outright. Countless reload saved games later you recruit Rasaad the monk, who, as a front line melee fighter (the only thing a monk is really there for...) also has way too bad stats and few hit points for his intended role. Combined with the inability to protect himself from critical hits (aka wear a helmet) he just keeps dying time and again so FAST, not even auto-pause and a ton of potions will help. Really, the constant accidents and reloads are so frustrating and annoying, I almost overlooked their admittedly excellent voice work and decent background stories...
    All in all, it's ok, but for an ease-of-use package that basically saves me 3 hours of downloading mods , installation and tweaking when wanting to Play BG on my new computer, the price is a bit steep.
  25. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is NOT broken. It is a great game and a ton of fun for old school RPGers. Unfortunately when I was young I missed this game... However, thanks to the Enhanced Edition I can enjoy it in 2013.
    The plot is interesting, the characters are interesting and the combat method is interesting.
    The game is NOT EASY! Thank God! A game presents me with a challenge, who would have thought?
    Character can DIE...*ghasp* indeed they are expendable. If you want to play hard core you can. You pick your friends and foes. In some ways this game gives you more freedom than Skyrim, and your allies have WAY more depth.... Hell, at one point I went too long without honoring a ally's agreement to join my quest and he turned on me!
    Anyone who gives this game a 1 is just being a spoiled prude.
  26. Jan 25, 2013
    The game is made by old bioware devs and the result is a game true to its old edition with very nice additions that hopefully will be increased in the future. Given that the game sells enough to keep investing on it.
    Any BG fan bashing EE is being stupid. This and BG2EE is your last chance of getting good BG games.
  27. Jul 3, 2013
    Worst game i have ever played combat system sucks graphics are terrible game is painfully slow this hasnt aged well atall still has loads of bugs feels sluggish just a complete and utter pain to play people who praise this game praise from nostalgia steer clear.
  28. X0R
    Dec 26, 2012
    Really disappointed with this "enhanced" version. Quickly became bored with the gameplay and wished I would have been donated the 20-bucks to a worthwhile charity instead. Next time I feel nostalgic about an old game, I'll just watch youtube videos.
  29. Jan 10, 2013
    I think this version of Baldurs gate is actually pretty lame. I also think it is expensive for what you actually get, especially considering that most of the work had been done beforehand by avid fans for free. I think the dev's recognised this, so tacked on the black pits adventure, which sits entirely separate from the main quest, and throw in a few extra characters. The adventure is good, but not really necessary, and the extra characters are also good, aside from Neera's awful voice acting. They would have done better to license a suitable, modern engine and re do the game in that IMO. A bit like how half life was re done in source. One crucial difference there though, black mesa was free, this isnt. Expand
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    I can't disagree with everyone else saying that "it's the same old game," because it is. What did you expect? If you're not willing to pay $20 to replay Baldur's Gate, then don't get it. I do, however, think that this game is a steal if you get while it's on sale. I picked it up for $5 while it was a "midweek madness" deal on Steam.

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced
    Edition brought, things that, when absent, make the original game almost unbearable to play. Ammunition stacks to 80 (yay!), potions stack to 15, containers, and all of the improvements that Shadows of Amn made to the game.

I had a ton of fun replaying Baldur's Gate and thought that the Enhanced Edition was a steal for $5. Even if I had bought it for $20, I still wouldn't feel cheated I currently have 41 hours of playtime on it, and haven't even beaten it yet (although I think I am in the last stage of the game).

Overall I would say, lots of fun as is to be expected from Baldur's Gate, great improvements to the game, great nostalgia trip but if you're not willing to shell out $20 for it, wait for it to go on sale in Steam and then pick it up.
  31. Nov 29, 2012

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.