7.7

1. Nov 15, 2013
    I strongly disagree with views this game is over-priced.

Beamdog is doing great work extending the long term viability of these classic titles. The enhanced version of Baldur's Gate was superior to the GOG version (which I also own). This version is a legitimate rebuild and extension of a great game that allows it to seamlessly function on new systems. Thanks for a great rebuild of a
    great game! If you at all have any love for this game, be sure to support all the honest efforts to extend its playability into the future. People who moan about $26 as 'too much' for a game like this are losing perspective on the true value of work in this industry and perchance need spend less time playing games and more time working in the REAL world. You want the industry to support classic games? Support mods by all means, but also definitely BUY games like this so that the teams doing the work can continue to provide great games for all of us. Buy the GOG version. Mod your original version AND buy this. Then you will truly be in a position to give an honest (and constructive) review. I wonder how many 'fans' ready to score bomb this are sitting on big libraries of torrent-stolen games.

Most irritating thing is that if these butt-hurt moaners really can't afford it, they only have to wait a few months till they can get it for pennies on a Steam sale. How painful that is NOT!

Get some bloody perspective!

Orctowngrot
  2. Nov 18, 2013
    A pointless re-release with nothing of real value added. They've patched in some widescreen support and UI scaling, something that was available with free mods and the cheaper original version of the game. As far as I can tell they have only remastered character sprites so all other artwork is just rescaled and blurry in high resolutions as a result. No doubt it's a classic RPG but this version is simply lazy, a waste of money and an obvious cash grab design to capitalise on nostalgia and a resurgence of the genre. If not having to spend 30 seconds googling "baldur's gate II widescreen mod" is worth $25 to you then knock yourself out. Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    BG2 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. And with this recent release, the game is still just as great.

When I was young, I bought it expecting something like Diablo...but BG2 is much bigger, and much deeper...the game is huge.

Funny thing was I had no idea how the hell the AD&D rule set worked when I bought the game. I didn't even know what numeric values like "2D6+1" meant
    because I had never played D&D and never made the connection to "2 six-sided dice plus 1 damage" til much later. The whole game was a learning experience, but ultimately when you do get some understanding of how it works the D&D rule set makes the game all the more enjoyable because of the sheer number of cool spells and items and character customization options that the D&D rule set allows.

This game was way ahead of it's time, too. The voice acting and writing are great, and the alignment system makes interacting with other characters interesting and adds replay value. Each party member is interesting, with the own personality, alignments, and side quests to perform. You can even establish a romance with a party member if you treat him/her right.

I can't really recommend this game enough. The one thing I would consider before buying it is the game's length and learning curve...which aren't that problematic.
  4. Jun 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has only had 1 small patch in the last 7 months (and that patch came shortly after release). Basically they've been forgoing patching in favour of getting both BGEE and BG2EE on Android. I would recommend you instead buy BG2 from GoG (or anywhere that sells the original game) and use the BG2 fixpack on it. It will solve all of the major and the vast majority of the minor bugs in the original BG2 and you won't get the multitude of bugs (which can include everything from your weapon proficiencies getting wiped clean to not having access to your slayer form for more than one use, to your character getting stuck on the screen from a dragon's wing buffet) you get with the "enhanced" edition.

The new characters they introduce are decent but nothing that is resoundingly different from the many mods already available for the game (a number of which aren't available with the "enhanced" edition). Also most of the new characters quest lines are bugged (and have been obviously for the last 7 months).

Overall I would buy the game from GoG (or anywhere that sells the original game) for less than half the price of this release. Not only will you save money but between the fixpacks and all the available mods for BG2 you'll get far better value for your money.
  5. Nov 16, 2013
    Dont get me wrong.. Baldurs Gate 2 is among if not the BEST RPG EVER MADE However.. the enchantment part is lacking allot. Not at much bugs as in BG:EE but still a few... new characters are still annoying and most of the old content blow the new away by far... The new character Hexxat starts off as a good companion but gets quickly changed into a bland generic lesbian character that locks out all the male characters playing.. so everyone playing a Male char gets locked out of any extra romances in the new game.

If you really love BG2... you most likely have a modded version thats better.. and there are allot of free content to download thats better with some work

And for this price its better to a bundle copy from GOG
  6. Nov 15, 2013
    Definitely an improvement. I really love revisiting a classic like this and finding it better than I remember.
    I wish Overhaul the best with their endeavors. Here's hoping we get Baldur's Gate III.
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    I do agree with the fact that the game being $25 is fairly steep, but giving the game a 0 because of it is complete and utter stupidity. This game is a great game and I have been enjoying every moment of it. It is well worth the $25 I spent on it. If you don't want to get it at full price, I would get it when it goes on sale at least!
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    This game was initially release in 2000. That's 13 years ago! Although this game was a beautiful RPG for its time, this time is past. I am sure it would be nice if we were all still running Windows XP, but its over. These kind of games should be commemorated in a hall of fame, not re-sold at an inflated price.
    The game does not stand up to current graphics or gameplay, although it is a
    classic when it comes to PC-RPGs. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    To every other person that has either never played this game, or it has been over a decade (Hi!), the $25 is definitely worth it. I had forgotten how satisfying this game is. So, much, fun...

The responses by die hard fanatics of the original game seem meaningless to me. If you have been playing BGII for 10 years straight, modded up to your eyeballs, then I would certainly suspect that
    $25 may not span the difference between what you have, and what is offered. *shrugs*

However, speaking to the "norms" out there, this game is absolutely highly recommended. I felt just a little bad having to leave the game to type this...
  10. Nov 18, 2013
    This is an incredible game that has been graced with amazing enhancements. I've loved this game for a while now and was so happy to see it was getting an upgrade. I disagree with others that the game is overpriced. Many HD remakes are either similar in price or even more expensive. I have and will play this over and over again because of the quality. The artwork for the black pit area was amazing! Beamdog is doing amazing with what they have and I will continue to buy games from them Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    The game works flawlessly. If you enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate, you will love this game too. The new companions are very interesting and their storylines made me want to keep playing. The graphics are also slightly better and allow for more zooming in or out. There are also more interesting items and different class kits to spice things up. Definitely would recommend!
  12. Nov 15, 2013
    If you want a true enhanced version of bg2 just install the original version and download some mods for it.
    The price is just too high for such old game so imho you're better off with the original game.
    I can't say i like the spellbook and character menu graphics much,the original ones where better.

Because it bg i can't give it a lower score than 5,but next time i will play it,it
    will be the original.

So go get those mods, installing them is easy,you just need to take your time for it.
  13. Nov 17, 2013
    Great game! I had the original release, which I loved, and am very pleased with this new release also. For myself, the greater clarity, the widescreen resolution and the added content have proven very effective at revitalising this classic game. I thoroughly recommend this game to both old fans and new players alike! A special shout out to one of the new NPCs, Hexxat. A very cool story arc! Enjoy!
  14. Nov 18, 2013
    This is the best game ever made and people complain about paying 25$. The enhancements are more than enough since 1. You should support the devs for putting the love in this and hopefully if it makes enough money they'll make BGIII, 2. 25$ is pocket change compared to games like CoD:G that offer you 5hrs of SP and looks like it was also made 10 years ago, 3. extra contents that mods do not have and 4. who wants to spent hours on end trying to get the game to actually work with mods?! this takes a few clicks, 10 mins of download and you can play! Expand
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    Once again I can't be more happy that my favorite game has been remastered. A huge improvement over the original and the redesigned multiplayer is a huge plus, and like the first re-release of Baldurs Gate I can't wait for it to be released on the iPad so I can multiplayer across systems. I will continue to play this reminiscing for hours. Thanks beam dog
  16. Nov 18, 2013
    Nice graphics, nice improvements, amazing new areas and companions. Finally multiplayer-based, you can enjoy Baldur's Gate II with your friends or people from all over the world and, finally, role-play like a boss. A classic brought back to life, in the best way. The only problem (if "problem may" be called, assuming you don't play videogames very often) are some nasty bugs. But hey, we're waiting for the new patches. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2013
    Bottom line: Good improvement/stabilization. Multiplayer actually works decently. Mediocre additions. Reasonable price. Beamdog is effective but slow, and a bit sloppy.

Improvements/stabilization: Beamdog worked hard to make BGII run properly on new machines, and in general, just work a whole lot better without performance varying overly much between different computers. They crushed a
    whole lot of bugs, and introduced some new ones. Not unexpected. They have done a fine job of squashing new bugs, and in general I've found BGII:EE to contain minimal bugs. BG:EE had a horrible number of bugs on release, but thankfully as they are on the same engine, nearly all of the bug fixes that they worked on for the past year in BG:EE carry over to BGII:EE.

Multiplayer works decently: Deal breaker. Baldur's Gate seems a perfect match for multiplayer, but in the original games it was incredibly buggy and prone to stop working at any given moment. Not only have they fixed most of the bugs with multiplayer, they also gave us a matchmaking feature so we don't have to manually hand out our IP addresses to people. That said, it's worth noting that they promised a matchmaking feature over a year ago, initially stating it would be in BG:EE upon release. They only recently got it working a few weeks ago. If you're jumping in now, then huzzah. But it's worth noting how slow these guys are.

Mediocre additions: The areas in BGII:EE look great and pretty true-to-the-original, which is excellent since the new environments looked very much out of place in BG:EE. I find the characters very disappointing, however. While Baldur's Gate always blended the world of the Forgotten Realms with the rhetoric of today somewhat, Neera goes over the line. She very much feels like apart of our world and seems out of place in the Forgotten Realms setting. That said I do enjoy her personality, but it's worth noting she's terribly Western Hemisphere. Unfortunately her voice acting seems uninspired, this time around. While she sounded very bubbly in BG:EE she sounds a little bored in BGII:EE. I'm not sure why. Hexxat is game-breaking, a complete box of contradictions, basically existing purely to throw Evil Partiers a bone. Oh, and probably to convince iPad users (who will have to download the characters as DLC) to buy her once they Google her stats. She feels very much like one of the NPC add-ons that a modder added to the game, not like she was written by a professional. Dorn stands as wasted potential; what could've been an incredibly interesting character is just a flat, one-dimensional character instead. According to his stats he has a 15 Wisdom, which is fairly high, and yet from his actions and words he seems to be one of the least wise characters in the game. Game director Trent Oster bragged that he was an "unapologetically evil" character, and I'm sad to say that he was quite right. Dorn has absolutely no conscience, not semblance of honor or restraint in any situation. Not only is that gratuitous, but it is also bad characterization, boring, totally inhuman and unrealistic. I had high hopes for Dorn, perhaps too high. It would seem though that Beamdog is incapable of analyzing human nature and understanding the existence of evil, and as such, they will never be able to write a realistic and relatable evil character. A shame. If you have never played BGII before, I would say to instead seek out Viconia, Edwin, and a certain Throne of Bhaal exclusive NPC if you wish to witness genuinely interesting evil characters. Indeed, it would seem that the Sun Soul Monk Rasaad is the only character who actually fits in to the established universe in Baldur's Gate II.

Reasonable price: The only people saying that the price is unreasonable is those that already own Baldur's Gate II. Yeah, of course you think it's overpriced at that point; all you're looking at in that case is an upgrade. For those who have never played however, $25 is a steal. Since there is no real way of deciphering between those who own the original and those who do not, it is $25 for us all. Besides, Beamdog needs the money so that they can expand and perhaps stop doing such slow and somewhat sloppy work.
  18. Nov 21, 2013
    The vanilla game was fantastic, but the game engine is dated and very unappealing now.

Beamdog's done a great job in overhauling the game engine, stabilized it, made it more visually appealing and added a lot of new great content.

Worth every penny of the pricetag.
  19. Nov 21, 2013
    First, let me lead off with why BG2EE is the best version of Baldur's Gate 2: the EE version actually allows me play BG2.

The glitchy old Infinity Engine has been overhauled by Beamdog so that it's now compatible with newer Intel chipsets. Previously, I had been unable to get the game to work on my computer despite digging through a bevvy of mods and forum-post fixes that were dated
    anywhere from circa 2005 to 2011. So when I heard of the Enhanced Edition I knew I would pony up whatever the asking price was regardless of what other "extras" they threw in.

What I didn't realize was that the game would ultimately sell me on the legitimacy of its $25 price tag. Obviously with this being a decade old game and available on the cheap at GOG.com, the price tag is the enormous elephant in the room for any purchaser, and accordingly this review wouldn't be complete without a discussion on the bargain-value proposition. Are you getting your money's worth for the extra $20?

In two words: hell yes.

Once you see the quality and content of the new NPC's, their new personal quests, the Black Pits, the new areas, and the general overall graphic improvements (including the ability to zoom way out praise the lord for this) you'll be sold. Not only those features, but the inclusion of altogether new classes like the Shadowdancer and Sun Soul Monk help keep the game fresh. Considering the going rate for DLC these days (as I look pensively at the $29.99 price tag for the new X-Com expansion on Steam) I can say that BG2EE is worth it.

If you're on a budget I would encourage anyone to pick up BG2 in any form that they can get it (well, assuming you can get the old version to work on your computer, at least). But, if you can spare the extra change, you'll be picking up the best version by a mile with BG2EE.
  20. Nov 18, 2013
    This is the greatest RPG ever made, everything about it is flawless. I have played this game my whole life and love it! How people give it a 0 because it is overpriced is truly stupid. Also compared to the priceof games today, you get one of the best games ever for 35$ cheaper than the standard 60$ price tag. Get this game and love it as much as I have!
  21. Nov 18, 2013
    Gorgeous new areas, at least 15 hours of new storylines, and revisiting your old friend BGII with a polished new interface. No problems here, unless you're really reaching for something to complain about.
  22. Nov 18, 2013
    A brilliant throwback to a day when RPGs were longer on story, if a bit shorter on graphics. I really enjoy using the isometric graphics. It lets me relax about instantly responding to threats and instead think about how I want to play the game.
    My only complaint about the graphics is they look a bit washed out and I would like a bit more differentiation in the color scheme. Sometimes
    hard to find my characters on the screen. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2013
    I don't get why someone who likes this game would proceed to give it a 0. "It's the greatest RPG ever made, but I give it a 0 herp derp" If you're so in love with the mods, then don't pay the measly $25 for this quality touch up. No one is holding a knife to your throat, and all you're doing is hiijacking other peoples fun...while you're at it, don't play baldur's gate 3 when/if it comes out off the back of the funds raised by these enhanced editions. Short sighted describes you perfectly.

As for people genuinely interested in the gameplay aspects, this game is the same game, just enhanced...funny that. Widescreen, UI freshen up, new NPCs and in game content. It's not breaking any boundaries, it does exactly what the title suggests, it enhances one of the greatest RPG's of all time. One of the founding fathers of the Infinity Engine era of RPG greats. If you're an old fan, get in on it! If you're new and have always wondered what the hype was about, get in on it!
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    $25 for countless hours of quality entertainment...well worth it, especially considering that this is an enhancement of the best computer RPG ever made, and it plays excellent on a Mac! You can't even take your girlfriend to the movies for $25 these days, a measly 2 hours of entertainment. It takes all freakin' night just to finish 1 dungeon in this masterpiece. If you enjoy fantasy role playing games, this game is required playing! Expand
  25. Nov 20, 2013
    People who worried about the price, are you serious? BGII is the greatest RPG of all times. It's normal to pay few bucks for remastered version that perfectly works with new machines and looks great on HD screens.
    And now you talk about mods for original game... I don't have a time to deal with bunch of buggy mods that do "pretty much the same". I want just download and play.

Enjoy
    this masterpiece. It's pitty but nowadays there are no games like BG.

PS. By the way, the steam price is only $15... and Christmas sale is coming
  26. Nov 20, 2013
    The original was already my most favourite and by far most played game of all time but Overhaul completely blew my mind with the enhancements. They added way more new content than I expected with hours over hours of new gameplay, engaging new characters, hilarious new dialogues and simply beautiful new areas.
    Job very well done.
  27. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is by no means over-priced. Not only did they completely revamp the UI and add new classes/kits to play, they included over 300,000 words of new content. To give you an idea of just how much that is, the average novel contains around 100,000. The new characters are great, the new locations are rich and detailed, and the new battles are challenging and rewarding.

The
    developers really poured their heart and soul into making this game come alive again and it shows. If you've never played before, twenty-some bucks will get you over 100 hours of entertainment. If you are a Baldur's Gate 2 veteran, the Enhanced Edition offers high quality content that you can't get anywhere else. Expand
  28. Nov 21, 2013
    Great update to a phenomenal game. Extra characters/quests/items are nicely worked into existing game plot and a worthy addition. While the game is $25, it is worth every penny if it brings us that much closer to BG3.
  29. Nov 21, 2013
    Visually it's not a large improvement outside of the natural benefits that come with higher resolution. it is nice that they added a zoom feature so that you can set the scale to whatever you are happy with at your monitor's resolution. It is easier to install plus saves and loads are much faster. The backgrounds have been re-mastered which adds a little bit of improvement to the overall color of the image. The sprites have not been reworked I think one of the reviews I read had that backwards.

Overall it looks a little better but it is nice because it works without any hassle and you don't have to mod the game to get it to support your setup.

They have also added an expansion pack worth of new characters, items, and areas to explore (30+ new areas).

Personally I am really happy to see this game get new content 15 years after it's release. The content is up to the same standards as the original game and some of the characters they have added are more developed then the originals.

Text is easier to read, small bugs that were never fixed are patched up now. Over all it's not a huge improvement but it is a noticeably better experience and the extra content and support with possible future DLC options makes me give this a high score. I won't be going back to the original that is for sure.
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    I played this game back in my college days and had pretty much forgotten about it until I heard the enhanced editions of BGI and II and was thrilled to hear about them being on the ipad, but keeping in mind this is the PC review.

I am having a blast playing this game again. It may be debatable if it is the greatest RPG ever, but it is in my mind. I feel the price is great, when I saw
    the game was out not once did I think “Wow, I am not paying that much!” I would have liked to see more refined enhancement in a few places, but it’s still a must buy for any RPG lover and a wonderful improvement.

I echo another reviewer that talked about the diehard fans that have been playing to this day with all sorts of mods and are upset by the price If you are that hardcore about the game with mods then skip it, but the cost is cheap for those of us that don’t want to mod the game and the hundreds of hours one could spend playing– and beamdog’s great forums takes input on what changes and patches people would like to see. That makes the game price seem like a real bargain to me!!!!
  31. Nov 22, 2013
    Well, as a person who has always loved BG and BG2, its hard for me to write this review. The original content in its unchanged state is still wonderful and prizeworthy. I however will be reviewing the content added to it by Overhaul games. Not its original awesomeness. Lets talk about releasing a game. Whoever forced the deadline down the developers throats needs to be fired and blacklisted. The devs did not even have the time and resources to move over the new portraits and sounds from Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition 1. There are soooo many bugs. I have had the golem in the very first scene not talk for 5 minutes till after he was suppose to do so, leaving Irenicus chattering to himself like a madman. It also left me trapped in the cage for 5 minutes, since Imoen can't break you free until the golem finishes talking. Not much further down the road you run into another bug, the Genie doesn't appear to offer you the sword in the air elemental plane.

On the same track.. The multiplayer is broken. Not just a little broken, like crashes on gamestart, timeouts abound, unable to rejoin unless host exits and restarts and in some cases all parties have to restart BG EE2 to be able to play together again if even one of them crashes. It can even corrupt save game files on area changes. And tends to crash everyone but the host on chapter transitions Beamdog.net /their multiplayer hosting is a wreck.There is a just a list of games. No filters. They could do filters by campaign, by location, by password or not. You don't even get alphabetical sorting. If there are 1000 games and your friend is hosting. You have to scroll down and read 1000 games until you reach your friend's game.

Black Pits 2. Well, there was some solid voice acting. Its actually funny at some points.The story line is better and more well developed than black pits 1. There are more people to interact with it does a much better job of creating the setting and feel. You can tell they put some real effort into it. It is a little short, but not as short as blackpits 1, Or at least it doesn't feel like it. .But its very challenging. This can be good or bad depending on whether you are good or bad at making parties, it also challenges you greatly to manage your income. Not a lot of new weapons and armor, mostly just reusing other stuff. If all aspects of the game were as well done as this, it would be amazing and I would give a shining stamp of approval.

My overall thoughts are, if you are getting it for Singleplayer only, then its great. Personally I like having all of it nicely packaged together on a steam account so I don't have to keep track of all the disks. For me that has significant value. So no matter where I go or what computer I have, I will always have Baldur's Gate 2. However, that praise really goes to Steam and Beamdog, not Overhaul games. They don't get credit for that.

If you were getting it for multiplayer, my thoughts are to wait a few months and let them release some hot fixes and patches. IF its still broken at that time then forget it. If not then buy and have some fun.

I would also recommend getting it for addon content. Despite all of its flaws, it does have a very active modding community, with a wonderful set of support forums. If there is a bug, it is likely known and there could even be a work around. The devs got it right in creating a strong user community.

So overall, 5/10 for the new content. For the original content 9.5/10
  32. Nov 21, 2013
    This is by far the best RPG ever made. Forget about the Mass Effect series, The KOTOR series, The Dragon Age series or any other RPG game for that matter. Not one compares to the depth of the gameplay, the lore. Not to mention the huge play time.
    When i first played the game years ago i thought it was for months, but for some reason i can't explain i stuck with it. To this day i would
    have never known what Role Playing Game means had i not played Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. I am giving this a 9/10 because there are some strange bugs still present in this version, but they are in no way game breaking. Expand
  33. Nov 18, 2013
    I loved BG2, but trying to get it to run and look half decent on Win8.1 just isn't worth the hassle. Along comes BG2:EE with some extra characters, zooming in/out, and TONS of bugfixes. I can't wait to see more from the Beamdog team and would happily recommend this to friends. Yes, it's 25$, but I also think of it as crowd-funding their next game, which could even be Baldur's Gate 3.
  34. Nov 18, 2013
    This was my favorite game back when I was a young teenager and now it is becoming my favorite game of today. I would play it for hours and hours back in the day. I can happily say it's still the game I remember with the added benefit of having been modernized! The new UI is amazing, love the new characters/quests, and the quick loot button has made looting much more enjoyable. I can't wait to really get back into this game so I can experience it all over again. Very excited! Expand
  35. Nov 21, 2013
    Outstanding update to one of the best computer games of all time (and easily my favorite computer RPG).

The game runs very well haven't had any troubles at all after many hours of play. The new content is strong too definitely more polished and interesting than the new content in BG1:EE.

There's been many cases where I've held up an old game in my head as wonderful and wished I
    could replay it, but then when given the chance it doesn't quite live up to those expectations anymore. Definitely not the case with BG2:EE....I'm flat-out loving my return to that game.

As a Mac user, I obviously prefer the Beamdog conversion vs. getting it from GOG.com and having to run it through Parallels. For that reason as well as the new content, I think the $25 price tag is well justified. I honestly don't get why someone would rate the game a 0 because of that. If $25 is too much, don't buy it.

In short, if you loved BGII and have longed to play it again, this is a no-brainer....plus you get interesting new content.

Awesome job, Beamdog.
  36. Nov 20, 2013
    This edition is simply the best available version of one of the greatest RPGs.

With the new UI it looks stylish and enhanced, the graphics ARE better despite some people being a bit jaded about the game's look. (It's over 10 years old, the Devs did a really good job honestly).

I've tried going back to BG2 and it looks quite primitive after experiencing BG2:EE. Once the modding
    community has fully wrapped it's collective head around the new version of the engine (and even now many mods are already compatible), the only reason anyone would have to play the original versions of BG2 will be pure nostalgia.

The new NPCs are very interesting, I even find the story of one of them (Hexxat) to be one of the best plot twists in computer games. I like their abilities, their dialogs, their quests.

I've only experienced a couple of bugs but it didn't stop me to play the game properly, they are minor and will be fixed soon.

I'm loving it soooooo much now:)
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    -New, beautifully stylized UI -Amazing Dorn quest line -Stunningly beautiful new areas -Improvements on the spell effects -Tons of new content Actually, there are lots of pros in this one, especially compared with the first release. This game deserves all the money i've spent on it. Normally i would give it a 9 because of certain small bugs, but after considering the fact that it revives one of the best game of all times in a succesfull way, i give it a 10. Expand
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Reviews should be about the game, not the price tag. Whilst I do believe it is a bit pricey, it's worth it. Baldur's Gate 2 is quite possibly the best RPG ever made, and BG2:EE is the definitive edition with worthy additional content.
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    I have been waiting for along time to have the ability to enjoy a spruced up BGII with extra content. It runs very well and I have already spent more hours that I should playing this game! The 4 added party members have very interesting and tough personal quests that are very enjoyable and span both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal.

I feel it was well worth the cost for this game,
    especially as it will help promote this team to continue enhancing other titles. If you don't want the enhanced version then you can spend all your time trying to make the old game work on new systems and miss out on new content, however, that is no reason to give the game itself a bad review. Expand
  40. Nov 20, 2013
    I want to give this game a 10, and I'm sure it will be worthy of that score in time. The new characters are very interesting- between BG:EE and this one, I've tried out three of them- and they made each of the Black Pits installments interesting beyond the fighting. I would have rather seen it be $20, but $25 doesn't feel like a ripoff.

Right now, however, it's barely an 8, and that's
    solely due to bugs. I can handle slightly odd behavior, but characters are falling into dialogue loops, spitting out completely out of sequence romance comments, and otherwise behaving in bizarre fashions too often to be ignored. I waited some time to play BG:EE and had no problems, so I'm confident the devs will have the issues fixed in relatively short order. But for the game to be released in this state, I can't give it a 10 even if bug fixes were guaranteed. So a nine it is. Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2013
    Baldur's Gate II was, in my opinion, the single best game of all time. The Enhanced Edition takes that game and makes it even better. Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and Hexxat are excellent NPC's with some very interesting and extensive new content.

The price is fair, the customer support is excellent and this development team has proven themselves worthy of making Baldur's Gate III, should they
    so choose. Expand
  42. Nov 21, 2013
    Fantastic game and worth every penny. The UI, game resolution and spell effects have been vastly improved over the original, and the new expansion pack Black Pits 2 is an a thrill to play with many difficult battles.
  43. Nov 21, 2013
    One of the best RPGs of all time got even better through lots of new features and the best is, that it will be even further enhanced and supported in the future, too. There is but one score I can give.. a 10 for the game.. and it's community!
  44. Nov 19, 2013
    I'm about 12 hours into the game and I'm enjoying it tremendously, the additional content is of good quality and has been thoroughly entertaining.

A great purchase, but if you're a bit skeptical about the price, wait for the inevitable steam sale. The price is my only real criticism.
  45. Dec 2, 2013
    Time for Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition,
    as that will be necessary in case Tides of Numenarema will fail us. I certainly hope not. Gotta keep then best them best RPGs coming.
  46. Nov 21, 2013
    Usually fighting bugs is confined to the start of an RPG, but bugs remain a constant enemy as the game progresses, there is a patch in the works, but hold off until it's implemented to see how well it works. BG2 EE is a great idea, but badly executed. The price may be a sticking point for some, but for others that don't want to mess around with mods, its a fair price, but not worth paying until its well patched. Expand
  47. Dec 3, 2013
    Just the idea of bringing the Bhaalspawn saga back to life should award these folks a top-notch rating... and being able to play it on any platform (well, almost, but we'll get there) without any effort is alone worth the price!
  48. Jan 13, 2014
    I see a lot of people complaining about the game being overpriced and they are correct but for the wrong reasons. The game is overpriced because they are charging mostly for features that have been provided by the community for free for a decade now.. Spend 10 minutes on google and save your money.
  49. Jan 12, 2014
    I love Baldur's Gate, but the enhanced edition is much worse than the original. Multiplayer is super buggy, lots of crashing (chapter transitions don't work in multiplayer, cutscenes crash, etc), major story events can get screwed up (certain characters may not leave the party when they're supposed to), the added Black Pits II was released in a state where they openly said on their forums that it's unstable in multiplayer and you shouldn't play it. Certain spells that worked fine in the original are completely broken (Harper's Call doesn't work at all). They don't seem to be too concerned about fixing it either as there haven't been any patches in about 2 months. It's rather embarrassing. I've had way more issues on this brand new updated version than I ever had playing the original. Just get it the old one from gog and add some mods. Expand
  50. Dec 17, 2013
    Baldur's Gate II is one of the best games ever. That said the enhanced edition brings very little to the table for those who already have the original. It might be good for someone who is new to the series and doesn't want to fiddle with mods but for everyone else the "Enhancements" are not worth a second copy of the game. My personal BG2 install has at least 8 new recruitable characters ranging from vampires to drow to he-who-cannot-be-named-without-spoiling-the-story. It also has widescreen, MUCH better spell graphics and is only unstable when over 100 drow are on screen. In conclusion this is a good entry point to the series but not worth buying if you have the original. Expand
  51. Dec 23, 2013
    When they first started on re-creating this classic game I had expected more. This is hardly different from the community modded version I already had so I am actually wondering what they actually did themselves.
  52. Dec 9, 2013
    Best RPG ever! no debates, no arguments.. I loved the game when I was in college, I loved the game when I was at the university and it can be argued that my poor grades was in no small part due to my love of this RPG.. I've played good guy, bad guy, ranger, cleric, mage and ofcourse the ever present thief..

Never was I bored, never disappointed..

As to the storyline itself beamdog
    haven't changed it (thank god).. There are those who argue that the game should be cheaper, but considering the amount of replayability there are in this game it shouldn't be the price that holds u back. Buy it, enjoy it, love it.. But I quote the original game developers "don't forget to eat, we don't want to lose any dedicated players" Expand
  53. Dec 7, 2013
    Great re-release for this franchise! A lot fewer bugs compared to BG EE. The extra content is nice. I am enjoying the game.
    I can't wait for them to make Baldur's Gate 3!!!
  54. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Baldur's Gate II: Enchanced Edition? I prefer to call it Baldur's Gate II: Bug Enchanced Edition. You know why? I used to play BG2 original version many years ago without any stupid game breaking bug that prevent me from further playing the game. I can say is NONE. In fact, the original game is truly a gem.

At first when i heard about enhanced edition of bg2 i really looking forward to it. So i decided to give it a try. After 226 days in the game, i encounter a game breaking bug in Spellhold quest. Overhaul Games proudly introduced a new level of RPG gaming experience by forcing the player enter an eternal quest loop. Further more, overhaul Games decided to add another enjoyable special feature into the game: random CTD (crash to desktop) quest. This quest is a new quest where the game stop for god sake and the player will have to take a rest for good. Thank you Overhaul Games. During chapter 4, i'm so excited when i finally get my hand on the new slayer ability(protagonist turn into a very powerful monster with +5 claw, 25 STR). After i use the ability to fight the monster and rest.... and guest what? The slayer ability button just disappeared. WOW!! This is the worst gaming experience i've ever seen. Overhaul Games did a fantastic job by modifying a masterpiece and turn it into a rubbish. All hail to Overhaul Games!!

Lets talk about the new features they introduce in the game? 4 additional party member? Are you kidding me? the original game already got so many party member available.

This Baldur's Gate II: Bug Enhanced Edition proudly presented by BugOverhaul Games studio is a POS that any sane people would avoid it at all cost.
  55. Dec 4, 2013
    This is Baldur's Gate, so it is bound to be awesome, however this Enhanced Edition is a much worse experience than the original. Apart from the technical improvements, the game has diminished in quality. The new characters are mostly boring, especially the new to BG2- Hexxat. She is boring in her normal interactions but her romance is just ridiculously flat. A collection of single sentences pretending to be a dialogue. Dorn is unrealistic, a terribly created evil character, that does not even compare to the genius of Edwin, Viconia, Sarevok or even Korgan. Neera's story is predictable but at least has some depth to it, despite the ridiculous quests. I am told Rasaad is slightly more interesting, bu I haven't tried him.
    Overlooking the quality of the writing though, the game is so bugged it's just unpleasant to play. New content is terribly buggy- missing monsters, dialogue triggering out of nowhere making little sense, looping character comments, that break the game and so on.
    Buggy new content can be understandable though, however the whole game bugs really often now. Randomly added stats on character creation, missing dialogue, game getting stuck for no reason. It is just unpleasant to have to use the console and third party programs to fix the bugs or create work-arounds for glitches.

If you are new to Baldur's Gate 2, do not buy this version. Get the original and download the resolution and widescreen mods. It might sounds hard, but the time you will spend in Enhanced Edition searching for console commands or ways to approach glitches will definitely be longer than installing the mods for the original BG2+ToB.
    If you are a veteran BG player, I'd wait a year or so, before getting this. BG1:EE only became worth paying for after patch 1.2, which came out almost a year after release. In it's current state the game is just unpleasant.
  56. Jan 1, 2014
    The original Baldur's Gate II and expansion was when it was released from my POV the greatest PC RPG made. In the years that have passed there are few games that have rivalled the depth and involvement that I felt when playing the original. Although much has moved on since with improvement in nearly every area of computing and gaming, Baldurs Gate II remains a stand out title with peerless depth.

Therefore I congratulate Beamdog and Overhaul Games for their labour of love bringing this (legacy) game to a new audience and making it easily available once more on modern systems and bringing it to new platforms.

I have not owned a GOG version of this game (only the original), and can not comment on the patching needed to play this game, but for me to buy this game on steam for a tenner is a steal and by Easter it will probably be less than four pound. Therefore not a lot of money then to play a hassle free version of a great game that will now have an extension on patching and support (particularly of new content).

Additionally Beamdog and Overhaul Games have shown great respect for the original content by adding interesting content that does not include unbalanced NPC's and gameplay and drastically improving the (mainstream) access to multiplayer.
  57. Jul 30, 2014
    Awesome rpg. One that requires 100+ hours. Love the changes, graphics everything looks great. This is one of the first true western open rpg. Ive played about 70 hours and still do not want to stop anytime soon. The game is deep as hell. The magic system is one of the best ive ever played, with some of the coolest spells ive ever come across. Get this bad boy as soon as you can. Patience is required though, this is not a Diablo type hack and slash, its an extremely rich strategy game that rewards ideas just as much as weapons and speed. Expand
  58. Jun 28, 2014
    Kids now a days are so lucky to be able to play this gem! Literally one of the best RPGs ever made.

Their is Fallout series and then Baldur's Gate... we'll now we have that great RPG series with a TON of updates.. Classes that weren't even available till later games.

If only the models were redone or had an option to make them better would have been cool.
  59. Jan 1, 2014
    A solid expansion with some bug fixing, graphics and extra content. I especially liked the extra new npc and their stories(which fit well in the game)
  60. Jan 5, 2014
    Maybe the best game of all times.This game is much better than the first baldur's gate and with the new improvements its even better than its own self from the past.They have done a good job at Beamdog to give us the chance to play again this ultra epic game.I bought it for 15 euro at steam.Practically a steal.This game will give me a very enjoyable 2014.Thank you Beamdog!
  61. Jan 5, 2014
    Beamdog thank you! You made me play about 150 hours in such a great game! Although there few bugs in the secondary quests, still this is a great job! Hope you will produce the third part of baldur's gate!
  62. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome! The enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 and TOB. Nice job. Bringing out the best RPG ever, makes me feel a little boy again who spending to many hours behind my pc.
    I took me 12 years to finish BG II. Kinda sad huh... Lost save games, had to start all over again, computer crash, lost save games, hd to start all over again. Finally I made it. The only thing that's on the list is to finish TOB and then I can live happily further. Conclusion: No matter how long it takes, the game is worth the play.
  63. Mar 14, 2014
    The original is superb, but this re-release does little to expand or improve.

The good news is the graphics are slightly improved. Better inventory screens and paper dolls, and you can zoom in/out more. There's also widescreen support. Some new content, 4 NPCs come included with the PC version.

The bad news: The game itself is buggy, and the new content is simply not worth the
    price. This is a $25 game, and is not worth that value. I found the game crashing periodically, which simply did not happen with the original.

An example of the rather slipshod work, the import/export characters option is broken, every time I import my character, the game re-calculates the bonuses each character gets due to strength, dexterity, etc. So if my character should start with +2 to hit, becomes +4 if I import it since the game re-does the calculations. It becomes +8 if for some reason I need to import her again! Unlike the original game, the Enhanced edition does not allow you to "Pre-Generate" characters and import them, I suspect that they knew that importing a character into an existing game was broken..

The new NPCs are pretty atrocious and the dialogue that my character has been given sounds like a comedy routine. When I was chatting with Hexxat, my character was given dialogue option A) "I"ll help you without question" or option B) "Some jerky 3-line comeback that was out of place in this game" or option C) "Too bad for you. Goodbye". Pathetic choices. And the voice acting was amateurish for most of the new characters.

Go get the GOG.com version, take some time to mod it if you want (you would have to do this anyway to the Exhanced version if you wanted tougher enemies or more challenge), and enjoy the game at a much lower price. The GOG version is often on sale too, for 50-75% off, you can't go wrong! And the original version is compatible with more mods, and with more custom portraits, that the enhanced is not able to use.
  64. Feb 8, 2014
    Baldurs gate 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, but the new content in this game sucks. Some upgrades are even worse than some mods that you can add to BG for free and the Black Pits 2 is pure trash. The only good new parts are Dorn and Hexxat quest lines, but Neeras quest line is really bad and Rassad is mediocre. I hoped that they will include some new non NPC related quests, but instead you get **** Black Pits 2. Baldurs Gate 2 is a 10/10 game for sure, but the new content is really mediocre and double price is just overkill. Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2014
    I have limited time to play, so i don't want to spend it with searching for mods and fixes. Beamdog gives me new contents and bugfixes. And now there is support for tablets. The new contents are good quality, they fits in the original. Developers working on it still, and it gets better with every patch.
  66. Jul 26, 2014
    This game is true classic RPG. So ahead of it's time(2000) and a 'must have' for anyone who hasn't played it who enjoys RPG's. The Enhanced Edition has patched the game to near perfection and the enhanced graphics are just icing on the cake. Regular price at Steam is 19.99 and still a bargain for many hours of enjoyment.
  67. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has done it again: the thunder has been captured, enhanced, and rereleased into the world once more. With added content, added functionality and once again fewer bugs, Beamdog has taken the work out of using an old game and given it some sprucing up. I find it well worth the investment to avoid being forced to mod in the basic functionality I would require just to run the game, and the new NPCs have added fun elements to my game (thumbs up for Hexxat). The fixes that impress me most are the ones I never have to notice, because they have quietly taken care of them behind the scenes. I look forward to future DLCs and enhanced editions of other titles. Expand
  68. Aug 30, 2014
    Without a doubt the definitive version. No headaches with installing,. bugs are getting squashed all the time , works magnificently on any of my computers(whereas my disc based version requires me to set aside a day to install, mod then test usually with a reinstall or two when things go sour.)

The extra characters and content are great and could easily have been regular content on
    original release and fixes my original issue of feeling that the character choices were a bit limited. Included are 4 extra characters, 2 evil, 1 good and 1 neutral which is a great inclusion in the good heavy characters of the game.

If you are sitting with the modded BG II thinking this is pointless then I would think again. Multilayer support for instance. Being able to actually find a game without the ancient TCP settings etc, the headache of a reinstall, I've had computers corrupt and the worst part of it all was losing BG, BG II and Icewind Dales because I knew the amount of effort I would have to put in to reinstall them and thirdly the added content that doesn't feel like mod level of cheese adding in hundreds of uber weapons and fan made characters with terribly writing. The new content feels like it belongs very neatly and the characters are awesome.

For those new to BG II, without a doubt this is your copy.
  69. Sep 1, 2014
    The original Baldurs Gate 2 is considered by many to be the best RPG of all time. Enhanced Edition is a half arsed, repackaged, joke of an "update".

The new content is trash. This is low grade, modteam level stuff and not the good kind. Other than obviously having a proper audio studio, the voice acting is even comically bad. The writing on the new characters and the Black Pits 2 is
    just a joke. The combat of the Black Pits 2 is effortless. Effortless in that they basically put old mobs in the arena, changed the names, and said "hmm just make them immune to everything, figure out a way to hack the engine so that this creature is not even effected by things that are not actually possible in the games rules, make that creature ignore AC/Saves/resistances, this creature just add a couple 0's to the HP number, and this other one lets just triple its damage and add instant kill abilities, oh and forget about QA its not important". The Black Pits is actually really great in concept, and I wish Beamdog had been competent enough to execute it with even a modicum of quality. It should also be noted that as of this writing, there is a pretty good chance that if you try to import your party from the EE of Baldurs Gate 1's Black Pits, it will probably crash the game and corrupt the file. That right there is a good idea of the quality of the new content.

They created a pittance of new content, and then didnt even QA it enough to make it functional. The only redeemable bit of it has one of its best features (start a party in BG1 EE Black Pits, play through the BG2 EE Black Pits with the same party much like the original vanilla games) is about 50/50 on whether or not it will eat your party when you import. Make a backup before you even try.

The biggest problem overall is that QA is non existent. Over the years fans have patched and improved these games to an impeccable state (these as in BG1, BG2, IWD and so on). Beamdog basically threw all that out and just scaled up the art, and dorked around with the source code enough to break everything. The game crashes and soft locks in the most exciting and unexpected ways. Its amazing that a game with access to millions of dollars and professional game developers can utterly ruin something that a bunch of fans made perfect for free. The entire EE re-release series is so buggy that its widely considered to be a practical joke, or possibly some sort of social experiment. Its easy to see why if it wasnt for the fact that money was spent, and is charged, for this game.

Baludurs Gate 1 and 2 are masterpieces. Undisputed examples of "video games as art". Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced edition are terrible, half arsed "updates" to games that were already perfected both technically and content wise long ago. If you want to play these games for the first time or want digital copies, then just buy the pack avaialble with the original versions of all the Infiinte Engine games that has been avaialble for years and install the latest community updates and enjoy yourself. Do not give Beamdog reward for trash, because the greatest danger is that they have said they wish to make Baldurs Gate 3 someday, if they make enough money on these re-releases.

That would be a travesty, and if you contribute to that then I hate you. And yes, I hate myself, because I have these stains in my Steam list too :(
  70. bml
    Aug 30, 2014
    The original Baldur's Gate II was perhaps the single best game ever created amongst all genres. Beamdog took it, spruced it up with modern graphics, and added several quality new features.

I checked Metacritic before buying it and was hesitant seeing a user score in the 7's, but then I noticed it had been dragged down by multiple troll 0 reviews. This remake was absolutely worth every
    penny of my money. Expand
  71. Aug 31, 2014
    Baldur's Gate II is the best RPG ever made. Overhaul's idea -- take a classic game, update the engine and add some content is brilliant. After all, the era of yearly computer upgrades is over and only a small set of self-described gamers buy machines solely to play games. Why not add content to a game that can run on an email and web browsing machine? Again, brilliant, right? Unfortunately, the idea is better than the execution.

The good --

The developers have added a nifty zoom function that allows the game to played on high resolution screens. They also added a feature they call a 'quick loot bar' that makes some of the game's mundane tasks go by quickly. After ironing out some troublesome bugs the game now runs better than ever.

The bad --

The new content just isn't as good as the original and the developers have taken a heavy hand in quashing criticism. The new NPC 'Hexxat', a vampire thief and lesbian love interest, was panned by all but the hardcore defenders of the company -- but you won't find these negative reviews on the official forums; the critical threads have been deleted or locked and the critics have been banned. I quickly became bored with Hexxat and never finished her storyline. Another NPC character 'Dorn', an evil blackguard, was put in to please those who disliked the heroic narrative of the original game. If your idea of fun is playing a protagonist that slaughters innocents at a wedding party then this NPC is for you -- he didn't do anything for me.

In brief, good idea and poor execution. If you liked the original game and would like to play it again I would recommend buying it. If, however, you were hoping for a game with lots of new content you will be disappointed.

Also note -- the developers have asked the hardcore fans to post positive reviews on this site. I would read the mixed reviews before reading the 10 / 10 and 0 /10 reviews.
  72. Sep 2, 2014
    Insanely fun and with support for a good amount of systems its hard to go wrong. The new characters also have nicely fleshed out stories. For 25 bucks with the dlc and 19+ hours of game play i say its worth it.

1. Feb 14, 2014
    It's a great chance for all the fans out there to relive history of western RPG. Enhanced graphics and interface make this a great remaster of an immortal classic.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    There’s no doubt that Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is a product of its time, but there’s also no doubt that it’s an absolute classic of the RPG genre.
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    Doesn't do enough to be the uncontested definitive version, but provides a fresh perspective on an exceptional RPG. [March 2014, p.72]