Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn PC

9.2

1. JoshA.
    Mar 18, 2003
    From the epic storyline to the superb graphics and environments to the flawless and never-gets-old battle system, this game is one of the greatest role-playing games ever made. It will make you want to take up D&D just to be a part of the world of Faerun!
  2. OK
    Apr 20, 2003
    Quite simply, the greatest game I've ever played.
  3. ChrisL.
    Jun 10, 2002
    This game is by far the best I have ever played. There is so much you can do in it that you can literally play it for hours and hours. The best!
  4. GunhanK.
    Aug 1, 2002
    Quite possibly the most immersive and fun RPG I have ever played to date. Well-balanced, entertaining, challenging enough, looks good, has nice music... What more can one ask for?
  5. EmanuelS.
    Aug 15, 2004
    This game has only two very small problems with it: 1. The portraits suck 2. You get some warning messages far to much. Besides that it is everything you need from a game! It is AWESOME!!!!
  6. AndrewB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    This game has and still is the best game i have played.
  7. Simon
    Mar 30, 2008
    If you haven't played it, you should. The best in RPG.
  8. EdS.
    Aug 23, 2001
    Quite easily the greatest game ever.
  9. RobertC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    I've been playing RPGs eversince NES's Zelda, and this is the best game ever. I know that no reviews can be completely objective, but no other game I know is as fun, intricate, beautiful and once again fun as Baldur's Gate 2. Play it!
  10. FrancoP.
    Sep 10, 2003
    This game is very good, i like it. I don't now english very well, I'm from argentina.
  11. AlexL.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Quite easily the most entertaining RPG I have ever played. This game comes with a boatload of side quests and an entertaining main storyline, and will take a while to beat. There are also some fantastic mods to download.
  12. PRF
    Sep 29, 2005
    300 Hrs of questing this is hte best rpg I have encoutered. Pros the amount of quests and the things you can do. Cons It can take an age to get from a to b and combat can be messy.
  13. BoH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    I still play this game. It is still the best game with the best feeling and addiction level. No other RPG game has com close to matching it. "Hamsters and rangers everywhere - REJOICE!"
  14. MattD.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Even now, years later, there's nothing else that comes close.
  15. DrewC.
    Apr 24, 2002
    Quite easily the BEST game in the history of the world! With amazing graphics and great gameplay this is the greatest game ever.
  16. ArturoV.
    Mar 11, 2006
    This is my second favourite RPG of all time. The story line is great and really pulls you into the game.
  17. BillG.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Fantastic rpg. Highly recommended.
  18. Jun 23, 2016
    There are two games I have on my number one list. The first one is ff7 the other one is Baldusr gate 2, beacasue guys this is as good as its gets. The story and characters are extremley wellwritten. It blows me away even today. How the heck did bioware pull this off?
    The only bad thing about this game, is that there probably wont be a game of this quality again.
  19. May 7, 2016
    To this day, in my opinion, this is still the best RPG ever created, it's utterly fantastic. Interesting story, amazing characters (and really good character development), beautiful places... if you love RPGs, this is the game for you.
  20. May 15, 2015
    I just think this is the best PC game ever made. It's 15 years old, and it's still the best plot I've ever seen in RPG game. This is the only pc game i keep playing even after all this years...
  21. Sep 6, 2015
    There are very few games that can captivate like this one. From the moment you awaken and Imoen comes to help you escape the whole game is stellar. From the bickering companions, and this is long before Mass Effect and Dragon Age (The latter of which has gotten worse with every release.) to the epic storyline which, initially at least, centres upon rescuing Imoen. Before revealing itselfThere are very few games that can captivate like this one. From the moment you awaken and Imoen comes to help you escape the whole game is stellar. From the bickering companions, and this is long before Mass Effect and Dragon Age (The latter of which has gotten worse with every release.) to the epic storyline which, initially at least, centres upon rescuing Imoen. Before revealing itself to be somewhat grander in scale, the game rarely has any lulls in the story. My one complaint is that because the character of Imoen was intended to die at Spellhold, she has no real dialogue once she's back in your party. This however is fixed in the equally fantastic Throne Of Bhaal expansion. One conversation in particular she has with Edwin is hilarious.
    Since this game was initially released I have played through it countless times and still haven't done every quest, or seen every outcome. In todays gaming market which is overly saturated with generic shooters and the same Assassins Creed crap released yearly this is a total rarity. There are two games that almost match it and they are The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Origins. Of course, since Bioware effectively sold their soul to EA we have seen all of their quality drop dramatically, especially the Dragon Age franchise.
    In summation, one of the best games I have ever played. Buy it.
  22. Apr 8, 2016
    A rare title that actually deserves a 10. I've been playing it through at least twice a year since it came out. So, yeah, that's like 30+ playthroughs by now.

There are so many types of groups, main character classes, and tactics to try, you won't get bored.

Oh, and the voice acting is awesome.
  23. Apr 6, 2016
    Like the first Baldur's Gate, this one is every bit as good (if not better). The storyline is probably one of the most engrossing I have ever had the pleasure of following. And the characters have there own personalities and feelings on most of the choices you make. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played this game. The simple fact is they don't make games like this nowLike the first Baldur's Gate, this one is every bit as good (if not better). The storyline is probably one of the most engrossing I have ever had the pleasure of following. And the characters have there own personalities and feelings on most of the choices you make. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played this game. The simple fact is they don't make games like this now days. Masterpiece is the best word to describe this game. Expand
  24. Apr 9, 2016
    This is the best RPG that I have ever played, and I have played dozens of them. If you have the money to buy a game, then there is no excuse to pass this one over. It's that good.
  25. May 13, 2016
    A classic in the truest sense of the word. At the time of it's release it was unparalleled and still today in terms of writing it is almost peerless. The characters are colorful, fantastic, and yet somehow believable and not enough can be said about the well written fantasy plot and perhaps one of the most entertaining villains in any RPG Jon Irenicus. If you are a fan of extremely wellA classic in the truest sense of the word. At the time of it's release it was unparalleled and still today in terms of writing it is almost peerless. The characters are colorful, fantastic, and yet somehow believable and not enough can be said about the well written fantasy plot and perhaps one of the most entertaining villains in any RPG Jon Irenicus. If you are a fan of extremely well written RPGs and can look past the old school graphics then do yourself a favor and play this, preferably with some of the great mods available for it these days. Expand
  26. TC
    Apr 8, 2002
    There's a learning curve in there, although you can just pick up and play. Once you get to grips with spellcasting, and understand combat effects better - then you're completely hooked. The game is brilliant. I can't give it 10, because nothing is ever perfect. But this is close, real close.
    Oct 1, 2002
    THE DWARF! is possibly the coolest looking character (and my favorite). Not only the dwarf but the halfling, and elf. The Half-orc is a nice feature as well as the prestiege classes. I love how they kept the d20 system and I have never beaten the game. I think just making a new character is fun enough that I don't want my characters adventure to end.
  28. PubaH.
    Feb 24, 2002
    Greatest Game ever.
  29. MikeW.
    Mar 26, 2002
    This game rocks, it is just a bit confusing to get used to. I havn't played this game for that long, and I am confused as hell, and I am just starting to get used to it.
  30. TimS.
    Mar 20, 2003
    Wow! This is a fantastic rpg! D&D has never been so fun! Throne of Bhaal add-on is just as good!
  31. J.B.
    Aug 11, 2006
    The greatest D&D RPG ever and possibly the greatest CRPG. Combines action with an incredible storyline, great voice acting (mostly), intriguing character interactions, great sound and music, replayability and perfect gameplay. Even after years of play I still run across things I missed the first time through. Incredible game.
  32. Aug 24, 2015
    The best game of the genre, ever. Period. Must be played several times to be able to finish thoroughly, hundreds of hours of game play with great artwork, perfect dialogues and flawless voice acting. Never encountered a more immersive game. The pinnacle of RPG gaming.
  33. Jan 12, 2016
    Did you young players liked Dragonage videgames? .... or Mass effect franchise?
    Well it all started with Baldur's gate 2 back in the days.
    Masterpiece.
    'Nuff said.
  34. Apr 4, 2016
    Probably my favorite game of all time and one of very few games I'd ever give a 10. The Enhanced Edition version is nice as well and I do prefer it now to the original. But this is where it all started and really the EE version just has some minor reworkings to it. Most the hard work was done here and it's brilliant.
  35. Feb 17, 2012
    After playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between theseAfter playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between these days and most new games are about as durable as tissue paper. This game is till standing and will continue to do so for a while yet. Unbelievably good and the easiest 10 I'll probably ever give. Absolutely unmissable. Expand
  36. May 24, 2011
    This is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game drawsThis is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game draws you into. You will get attached to some of the characters, you will go over your spellbook and want to try new combinations of the hundreds of spells with unique effects, and you'll be surprised by huge dungeons that lay behind secret doors in the sewers that most players will probably miss. This game has not been rivaled before or since, and nobody can call themselves an RPG fan without playing and loving this masterpiece. It will always have a special place in my heart. If you haven't played it, DO IT! Play it like an RPG and enjoy it, because these days, games don't come close. Expand
  37. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game ever made. 12 years passed and no game is better than BG 2. Hell, no game is even near to be equal to BG 2. Epic story, side quests sending you to deepest dungeons where dragons rule, to another planes of existence, to dark forests and to old ruins under the city of Amn. Each of these places takes several hours to beat, contains epic dialogues and fights, and lets you decide howBest game ever made. 12 years passed and no game is better than BG 2. Hell, no game is even near to be equal to BG 2. Epic story, side quests sending you to deepest dungeons where dragons rule, to another planes of existence, to dark forests and to old ruins under the city of Amn. Each of these places takes several hours to beat, contains epic dialogues and fights, and lets you decide how your actions will afflict the world. You really feel like you are the main hero, you will love or hate your companions, you will wish death to your enemies for all what they've done to you or anyone else. Progression of your party is a masterpiece. Stats, special abilities based on characters history and heritage, hundreds of unique items. Everytime you find something more powerful than you are wearing at the moment, you will be happy. Why are you still reading this and not playing? Expand
  38. Mar 10, 2011
    This is the best RPG, in my opinion. Great plot, excellent characters and very interesting gameplay. Just play it and you'll see for yourself. Unfortunately, right now Bioware is unable make something like it. We can say thanks to EA.
  39. Jul 31, 2011
    Simply beyond words as everything in this game was well-made. Every choice you make has a repercussion and the story never fails to tell. There are so many things to do in this game that it may overwhelm you when you first start but that is how adventures should feel right?
  40. Mar 15, 2012
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world. If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world.

If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as much money as possible.
  41. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    Sequel to the start of one of the most epic RPG tales ever. Compared to today's graphics the game is obviously very lacking, but like its predecessor the art itself is beautiful. Gameplay and mechanics is complicated, but like its predecessor the story, world, and basic exploration properties overcome this. Did I like it? Yes!
  42. Mar 14, 2011
    This is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatasticThis is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatastic creatures, villains and monsters you face feels epic and massively rewarding and so do the many conversations you have and puzzles you solve. The music and artwork are fantastic. The graphics are dated by todays standards of course but I would still reccommend playing this to anyone with any interest in role playing games. 10/10 - the game to which future RPGs should aspire to be as good as. Expand
  43. Mar 25, 2011
    the best RPG ever created yet. Fantastic Story, Fantastic Gameplay, and by far the best thing that happened to RPG gaming yet! In fact the only reason why this game could be disliked is that it is so good that to some people it is incomprehensible.
  44. Apr 4, 2011
    The best game made ever. Dated at this point, it has the most poignant story and character interaction of any game. Dragon Age pales in comparison to this epic. The Icewind dale series is a close 2nd in this genre
  45. Oct 7, 2012
    Best Game yet made. Other games have had bigger budgets, more experienced teams, better tech to work with etc etc etc. But no team has eclipsed this game. It is Baldur's Gate 2 that defined Dragon Age Origins as imperfect. BG2 defined Witcher 2 as too small. BG2 declares that Dragon Age 2 is a major fail. Awesome character development system. Awesome world. Awesome exploration. AwesomeBest Game yet made. Other games have had bigger budgets, more experienced teams, better tech to work with etc etc etc. But no team has eclipsed this game. It is Baldur's Gate 2 that defined Dragon Age Origins as imperfect. BG2 defined Witcher 2 as too small. BG2 declares that Dragon Age 2 is a major fail. Awesome character development system. Awesome world. Awesome exploration. Awesome plots and subplots. Yeah a lot of other games get a lot of this right, and a lot of other games come close, but none yet surpass it. Why do we declare Skyrim to be very pretty, but finally soul-less and empty? Because years ago we played a game that gave us so many more memorable moments. Masterpiece. Expand
  46. Apr 10, 2011
    In short: the best game ever made. I played this when it was released and was amazed of all the detail, soul and love put into it.If you haven't played this then do it! It still feels as freshed as it was when it was released. I'm so sad BioWare has gone a totally different way and started making games such as Dragon Age II. I will quote another review:
    Often imitated, never duplicated: BGII.
  47. Nov 19, 2010
    I have never played a game that can recreate my expectations of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign better. The detailed effort that went into the design of the game, as well as BioWare's well-written storyline, help to create a decidedly epic experience. Firing off spells, charging in with tower-shields, the learning curve broadly slopes as you progress through the tutorial and you're metI have never played a game that can recreate my expectations of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign better. The detailed effort that went into the design of the game, as well as BioWare's well-written storyline, help to create a decidedly epic experience. Firing off spells, charging in with tower-shields, the learning curve broadly slopes as you progress through the tutorial and you're met with your first worldly challenges.

The choices that you make, as most Bioware games will teach you, do effect your journey. Though no matter the choice you'll always find yourself with battles to fight and dungeons to delve. In regard to the user interface of the game itself, the seemingly complex can often be learned and utilized to carry out a number of different actions. A broad array of abilities which will help you to react to the diverse, often difficult campaign. If you're creative and *do* manage to master the interface, you'll find that Baldur's Gate II: Shadow's of Amn isn't as difficult as your friends may say.
  48. Dec 26, 2010
    Still the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to beStill the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to be an mmo these days. Expand
  49. Mar 21, 2012
    A rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how goodA rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how good the whole thing is. The individual parts are perfect and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Just play it. As a mage. Then try a kensai. Then a swashbuckler. Then a cleric. Then a blade. Then a fighter/thief........This is the last word in RPGing. By a mile. Expand
  50. Mar 1, 2012
    I mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highlyI mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highly regarded stories since. This game is a gem. A true gem. When it comes to this game vs planescape torment - however. Things get tricky. As a game - BGII is the winner. As a creation - Planescape torment holds all the ambition. Both tell grand stories. They just have different strengths. Expand
  51. Oct 16, 2011
    The most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The firstThe most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The first western RPG I've played, and it's still the best. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, are all crap compared to Baldur's Gate 2. Expand
  52. Oct 17, 2011
    If only they would make 1 game like this per year, I would be a happy panda! It is so deep and epic that you can't really tell it, you have to show it to the others. I played if first when it was fresh new, and now more then 10 years later I still play it sometimes, and I guess it is going to be the same after another 10 years. It just became a part of my life, and that tells more than anything.
  53. Jul 16, 2012
    The best RPG by D&D rules and not only. Awesome world, an infinite number of side quests and several main story lines! It's game have a true atmosphere of adventure!

Are you think what you know all about BG? No! BG have a thousand secrets.
  54. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is perfection and shows just how RPG should be done - complex, with wonderful story and characters. None of present games of the genre can even compare to the old ones made by Interplay!
  55. Oct 12, 2012
    I love this game. I worship it. If ever there was a religion about BGII, I would be a fanatic! But beware, there is a huge huge flaw within.. It raised the standards so much for me back in early 00's, that I haven't been able to really play any other crpg after that. Maybe the first installment of Dragon Age had something of BG feeling, but every other crpg looks so shallow.

If there is

If there is any rpg lover left who hasn't played it, buy it, download the 2 most famous MODS (Shadows Over Soubar, and The Darkest Day), add them (they expand the game with tales from R.A.Salvatore's books, Drizzt D'Urden etc and double the size of it) and prepare to lose a couple of months of your life...
  56. Apr 11, 2013
    Baldurs Gate: Perfection. In every way imaginable; i would never consider writing a review for a game, but the love and admiration towards the finest game of my generation deserves one. This game truly, has everything.

You really cannot find a negative, for what is now almost fifteen years later STILL considered the finest RPG to ever exist. The story, the characters, all become reality to you. An endless adventure with characters you feel afterwards had been life long friends, prepare to spend weeks sleepless, planning your next adventure.. Going on quest after quest trying to find the perfect six to complete the dreaded quests only you could conquer.

Play it properly, complete it. Side quests after side quest, explore every where there is to explore. Hundreds of hours gameplay, which never seems to bore.

Best RPG of all time? Obviously.

Greatest game of all time? Quite possibly..
  57. Sep 16, 2013
    The only question one might have about Baldur's Gate II is whether it is the best RPG of all time, or whether that honor should go to Baldur's Gate I. Baldur's Gate II probably edges the first. BGII marks a high point in video game history, and modern games just don't have the same pizazz.
  58. Nov 3, 2011
    I still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game hasI still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game has excellent pacing and provides enough challenge. Game experience will be different with different party members, as all playable NPCs come with distinctive banter, side quests, and classes/abilities. Also The game packs all the stuff an RPGer would love: endless quests, believable characters, deep customization, various fighting styles, tons of unique treasures, enthralling main storyline, and lots of explorations. Pick any aspect of the game and it would be greater compare to other RPGs out there. If you are an RPG fan who has not played this, buy this game on gog and play it now. Expand
  59. Oct 14, 2011
    An immensely satisfied RPG experience, although it's slow to begin with. Its graphics are outdated today, but the gameplay, character development, and story is still top-notch in comparison to any game out there. I won't go so far as to say it's the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely up there with the best.

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get into it, I just felt rather bored at the beginning. But once the story really starts flowing it draws you in and you can't stop until you finish it.
  60. Jun 14, 2012
    This review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day theThis review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day the beautiful hand-drawn backdrops and masterful voice acting are in a league of their own, the combat is a D&D player's dream and the storytelling only ever rivaled once (not surprisingly by another Bioware title, Planescape: Torment). There is literally nothing even slightly below perfect that can be said about BG2. You can pick it up right now at http://www.gog.com, it's fully supported and priced at one tenth of it's real value. This is the pinnacle of Bioware's creativity. Its not A classic, rather THE classic. Expand
  61. Mar 31, 2011
    Everything I always recall about BG2 is just: WOW! Definitely the best RPG made so far, and holding this candle up for more then 10 years by now. The story, the graphics, the party just sucks you into the game. Once you see the end screen, you really feel sad for parting with those memorable characters.
  62. Feb 12, 2012
    The best RPG ever, all hands down!! No other RPG even comes close in terms of combat mechanic and game story. Quests are amazingly designed and the game world is just unbelivably great. No other RPG gives you a sense of adventure in a way Baldurs Gate does. It is truly a grand adventure.
  63. May 26, 2012
    This game literally gives me an erection remembering all the great plot twists and amazing dialogue, coupled with perfect combat mechanisms with a very in-depth and well laid out magic scheme.
  64. Oct 1, 2011
    After all these years, still the single most excitingly written story line a game ever had. Credible heroes, credible villains, and quests and even sub-quests with exciting and often surprising tales to tell.
  65. Nov 2, 2011
    The best computer RPG ever! Mainly because of the atmosphere and storyline (NWN's mod-ability made it very close though). Based on AD&D 2nd edition.
  66. Jan 1, 2012
    One of the best 2D Dungeons and Dragons RPGs ever made.

If you like the genre and you think you can overlook the slightly outdated 2D graphics (Just look at some screenshots or videos) than you should really give it a try. Its simply brilliant.
  67. Dec 8, 2011
    One of the best RPGs of all time. Deep and entertaining. It's outdated now but if your a true RPG fan play this game. Good community and Mods available as well.
  68. Dec 20, 2011
    A masterpiece from an era where game developers still cared about quality. The main villain remains the greatest voice in gaming history. Excellent story with intelligent game play. One of the few games worthy of an actual 10. Highly recommended.
  69. Jan 2, 2012
    Still one of my favorite RPG's even with all the current offerings that are vastly superior in visuals. BGII brings exceptional storytelling and character development into a detailed and realized fantasy world with a great and engaging storyline. They just don't make games like this anymore.
  70. Feb 7, 2012
    BG2 is in my opinion the best role-playing game ever released and one of the top five games ever made for any platform, including pen and paper.
    Many more current RPGs seem to provide little more than a mass of randomly generated, pointless quests which affect the game world as much as a mosquito affects a jumbo jet. BG2 is one of the few games, along with Fallout 1&2 and Planescape:Torment, that really got this right.
    The plot's depth doesn't masterpiece level of Planescape, but the fun factor, for me at least, surpassed it.
    Note: Dragon Age: Origins is a similar game by the same team, so if you like this, you should try it as well. DA:O doesn't have the strategy or plot quality of BG2, but I think it actually surpasses BG2 in character development.
  71. Jun 15, 2012
    If this is possible, this is even better than Baldur's Gate.
    Everything has improve, graphics, sound, pathfinding works now - but this is only the technical part.
    Even the storytelling has improved, and that coming from a clear 10.
  72. Apr 20, 2012
    A masterpiece. Even though 12 years have passed since its first release, the game still attracts me like no other. The graphics seems immune to ageing, and the sound (both music and voice acting) are extremely suggestive, creating unique atmosphere. The plot maybe is not as complex as this of 'Planescape: Torment', but it's a decent piece of high fantasy. I sincerely recommend this one.
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    After all those years, I still remember the good moments from this game! It was a masterpiece of storytelling, and the engine was a great improvement over BG1. With captivating plot, interesting characters and overall feeling of epicness, this still is a masterpiece. Maybe it didn't age so well, but at its time it was on top of the RPG world and deserves its glory.
  74. May 4, 2012
    I loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever playedI loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever played through more than once (i've cleared it more than 4 times with different builds and choices in the romances and main quests) and still the only one i feel like i want to play more, experience more in, and find out even more about the characters in.
    The game can be hard and unforgiving, especially for a player of new-age RPG's, and that is part of it's charm. I still think the graphics are good and the gameplay never felt repetitive since i went through with different characters and party set-up each time.
    All in all, best RPG ever in my opinion, can't wait to see how the updated version will be.
  75. Jun 16, 2012
    Best RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzlesBest RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzles etc. People who can finish this game can understand how great it is. Expand
  76. Jul 15, 2012
    One of the greatest RPG's of all time, pure and simple. If you enjoy a well written story as opposed to flash Graphics then you still cant do much better than this game. Its characters are interesting and full of depth. If there was one thing baldurs gate lacked, it was depth of the characters. But by the end of playing, you feel very atatched to each and every one of them. Its gameOne of the greatest RPG's of all time, pure and simple. If you enjoy a well written story as opposed to flash Graphics then you still cant do much better than this game. Its characters are interesting and full of depth. If there was one thing baldurs gate lacked, it was depth of the characters. But by the end of playing, you feel very atatched to each and every one of them. Its game balance to perfection. Right from the off, you are pitched in to a fast paced and well driven story that ensares and encases you in its world. Its sheer brilliance from start to finish! Collapse
  77. Mar 18, 2011
    In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play;In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play; it's one of the very few games I can truly say that "blew my mind" when it first came out. This is every bit the worthy successor. I'd certainly say that the two games combined are the best single RPG package one can get, even after all these years. Expand
  78. Mar 22, 2012
    Best RPG Ever. This game change my life since I've been played, I love it.
    10 for story. 10 for replayabilty. 10 for combat. 10 for characters. 10 for graphics at the time of release. 10 for entertainment. 10 for addictiveness. 10 for timelessness. 10 for the modding community. Nothing but nothing is in this game's league and I suspect people will be saying the same thing after another 10 years.
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    The last great game from Bioware. 100 hours worth of content if you do all the side quests. Great characters, one of the best villains (Irenicus), epic music, a legendary journey through the forgotten realms, from Amn to the Underdark, a powerful combat system that gives us a lot of variety during fights, having enemies featuring either strong defense against elements, non magical weapon,The last great game from Bioware. 100 hours worth of content if you do all the side quests. Great characters, one of the best villains (Irenicus), epic music, a legendary journey through the forgotten realms, from Amn to the Underdark, a powerful combat system that gives us a lot of variety during fights, having enemies featuring either strong defense against elements, non magical weapon, or magical weapon, immunities to some form of magic, or having unique abilities, like vampire sucking your levels, mindflayers stunning you and killing you faster if you have low intelligence and so on, all coming from the most popular p&p ruleset. A level of variety that has been absent in Biowarian games since then. The only thing that's truly missing from BG2 are the innovations that were brought by Fallout in the form of consequences to your choices, interaction with the world and factions. BG2 missed that opportunity to jump in the new, more evolved computer RPGs bandwagon but even then, it still manages to be one of the most entertaining cRPG in history. I dare say it kept its place in my top ten RPGs, next to Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer. Expand
  80. Sep 9, 2013
    An incredible game, especially when you consider the story from start to finish as an epic complete trilogy. The story and dialog are fantastic. Combat is deep and fun. The lore of each and every item you find really adds a lot of depth to the world. The quantity and quality of characters make each replay a different experience. It goes on and on. There's so much in this game that is doneAn incredible game, especially when you consider the story from start to finish as an epic complete trilogy. The story and dialog are fantastic. Combat is deep and fun. The lore of each and every item you find really adds a lot of depth to the world. The quantity and quality of characters make each replay a different experience. It goes on and on. There's so much in this game that is done so well, and few games can claim to come close. Expand
  81. Apr 7, 2015
    Baldur's Gate 2 will stay with me till I die. I played BG 1 + 2 when they came out over 10 years ago. I remember details like I played it yesterday. Minsc's battlecries, Lich fights with so much preparation, loot and xp rewards felt so nice after finally beating some crazy hard encounters. It's a game where the developers know how to feed gamers like me what I need. I want progression,Baldur's Gate 2 will stay with me till I die. I played BG 1 + 2 when they came out over 10 years ago. I remember details like I played it yesterday. Minsc's battlecries, Lich fights with so much preparation, loot and xp rewards felt so nice after finally beating some crazy hard encounters. It's a game where the developers know how to feed gamers like me what I need. I want progression, rewards based on what I did and I want challenges that requires me to actually think. I'm so done with modern day gaming: "let's play while driving or while baby sitting a 1 year old, aka no focus". Thank you for making this game. I will never forget it, nor its awesomeness. Expand
  82. Aug 7, 2014
    Infinity Engine will be never outdated as producers thought. Am still enjoy and after many years play again Baldurs Gate 2 Icewind Dale 1 and Planescape Torment. games. Of course somehow am enjoy BG only with custom portraits and sounds, and only solo mage. Actually hate that NPC and stuff but as it may be skipped or customized it not bother me. If I would be forced to play some originalInfinity Engine will be never outdated as producers thought. Am still enjoy and after many years play again Baldurs Gate 2 Icewind Dale 1 and Planescape Torment. games. Of course somehow am enjoy BG only with custom portraits and sounds, and only solo mage. Actually hate that NPC and stuff but as it may be skipped or customized it not bother me. If I would be forced to play some original parts then my score would be lower, but its ok, good game try it. Also am liked exploration of map as it was done in BG1 here you begin from cherry on cake, inside town. But further I was disappointed, sometime confused like am not even explored town and NPC send me somewhere and everybody say it is urgent. First time am believed in this and am go there which really confuse me, because its better leave it for later after solve quests inside town. Something like please hurry am in great danger and am ok am going just give me month or two, where am arrived probably half year later after so much time spend on heal wounds by sleep (am play solo mage) this is bit not realistic, at least confuse me. Or I have dreams frequently by one night = one dream, and am dream everything possible so have no further dreams after week. Beginning of this game is hyper active, but maybe its better to be confused than bored. Where RPG should have smooth progression curve and here is too sharp like designed to create WOW shape on player mouth. Personally I have WTFOW but in overall good game, they tried to make it better from BG1 Expand
  83. BartlomiejM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Game is too long and it's too complicaed. Too few areas. BG and IWD wrere beter.
  84. May 28, 2016
    This has become one of my all-time favorite games. The story is good, but you'll probably get so sidetracked doing fun side quests for goodies that you'll forget there is even a main quest. The characters are fun, and the game is serious when it needs to be and humorous when it can be. Combat is addictive. It is challenging enough that you feel like a boss when you win, but fair enoughThis has become one of my all-time favorite games. The story is good, but you'll probably get so sidetracked doing fun side quests for goodies that you'll forget there is even a main quest. The characters are fun, and the game is serious when it needs to be and humorous when it can be. Combat is addictive. It is challenging enough that you feel like a boss when you win, but fair enough that you never give up in total defeat when you lose. On the surface, it seems like a simple matter of getting the best equipment and winning the dice rolls, but you begin to see that there is actually a lot of strategy involved. It's a masterpiece that every semi-serious gamer needs to play at least once. Expand
  85. Aug 6, 2016
    My brother told me to play this game after he finished the whole series himself. And after playing through both of them I just wanna go again, to try out all the different companions and classes that are available. This game revolutionized the way I look at games, until this I had no real standard for how a well written character should look like. Every little part of this games is justMy brother told me to play this game after he finished the whole series himself. And after playing through both of them I just wanna go again, to try out all the different companions and classes that are available. This game revolutionized the way I look at games, until this I had no real standard for how a well written character should look like. Every little part of this games is just brilliant. The writing is superb, the story is amazing. The amount of time put into every individual is really impressive. The combat is challenging and offers a lot variety. The game does have a learning curve, but imo that was a good thing. I've never felt so rewarded for figuring out something in a game before. I had my doubts when I looked at the year of release at first (I played GOG original version with a few mods) but now after finishing it, I'm quite convinced that this is probably the best game ever to be released on all platforms. It is simply stunning and a must play for anyone.

I'd give 20/10 if I could
  86. Nov 20, 2016
    one of the best games ever made in history of mankind. if we ever encounter aliens, i know which game i will show them.

its 2016, and still no other rpg been able to capture same brilliance bg2 did decades ago.
  87. Jul 3, 2016
    Il gruppo di compagni si sta spostando nelle foreste nei pressi di Athkatla, deciso a trovare un modo per conquistare il covo del drago rosso Firkraag. All'improvviso, dagli alberi si manifestano uno, due poi sei, otto arcieri e maghi. Uno di loro apostrofa Jaheira - sono Arpisti, ed il comportamento della mezzelfa amica della progenie di Baal si è scontrato con gli obbiettivi dellaIl gruppo di compagni si sta spostando nelle foreste nei pressi di Athkatla, deciso a trovare un modo per conquistare il covo del drago rosso Firkraag. All'improvviso, dagli alberi si manifestano uno, due poi sei, otto arcieri e maghi. Uno di loro apostrofa Jaheira - sono Arpisti, ed il comportamento della mezzelfa amica della progenie di Baal si è scontrato con gli obbiettivi della confraternita. Anche il tentativo di risolvere pacificamente la situazione non va a buon fine, lo scontro è inevitabile ed ovviamente epico. La vittoria è amara, perchè i compagni sanno di aver ucciso proprio quelli che sono i Buoni.
    Questo è un singolo incontro. Un unico frammento di un viaggio epico, che si innesca solamente se si ha un determinato personaggio nel gruppo, e se si portano avanti determinate scelte. Firkraag è uno dei mostri più potenti del gioco, e NON è "il cattivo" nè vi è collegato in alcun modo. Si tratta solamente di un'avventura, all'interno di un'altra avventura, costruita in maniera magistrale. Tutto il resto (gameplay strategico, effetti visivi e sonori, visuali dipinte) è il degno accompagnamento per questo capolavoro.
  88. Mar 7, 2017
    Basically too long... Even for classic rpg, 60 hours of gameplay might scare some people off, me for instance. Much improved from the first part, more characters, deeper relationships, detailed areas and the most important - highlighting items capability.
  89. Jan 10, 2017
    This is the RPG which will likely never be topped and to which all RPGs should aspire. Sheer genius, a captivating story, complex characters, and tons of replayability. All time fave without a doubt.
  90. Sep 7, 2016
    The best game of Dungeons&Dragons settings until now, and probably forever.
    All unique classes and features united in a spectacular script, with some of the best characters ever created, astonishing voice actors with great dialogues.
    From time to time I'd install and play, and don't matter what kind of party I do, which characters I choose to follow me, it is never boring or easy. I
    The best game of Dungeons&Dragons settings until now, and probably forever.

I do cry alone thinking about how much time I'll have to wait until something like that touch my soul again.
  91. Nov 23, 2016
    I played many games before BG, but this game really made me into a Gamer. Finished it many times in many different ways, destroyed my desk in rage, laughed out loud a lot, cried at the end and compared the experience to every game ever since. Baldur's Gate saga is awesome on so many levels I can't even express it. I'll love this game to death!
  92. Dec 2, 2016
    "Sixteen years later, it is still the greatest game I've ever played, and it is still one of the best games available to fans of the RPG genre." I recently said this to a friend, to be told that there is no way that a two-dimensional game with no real multiplayer from the year 2000 could possibly be that good.

To prove him wrong, I came here - to Metacritic - and checked the top PC

To prove him wrong, I came here - to Metacritic - and checked the top PC games of all time. Sure enough, right there at number 6 was Baldur's Gate II. So tickled was I that I felt compelled to leave a review.

Here it is: this is still one of the best RPGs on the market - in my opinion THE best. If you've never played it, buy it right now.
  93. Mar 9, 2017
    A game that will be forever immortalized in my heart. I grew up playing the original and Shadows of Amn. When I picked up the enhanced edition it brought back the feeling of a well designed top down RPG that gave you a challenge and had you feeling rewarded at the end of the day. All the hours I've poured in this game has been worth it.
  94. Jul 15, 2012

1. Antagonist
    I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
  3. GamePower
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.