Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn PC

9.2

1. Mar 9, 2017
    A game that will be forever immortalized in my heart. I grew up playing the original and Shadows of Amn. When I picked up the enhanced edition it brought back the feeling of a well designed top down RPG that gave you a challenge and had you feeling rewarded at the end of the day. All the hours I've poured in this game has been worth it.
  2. Jan 10, 2017
    This is the RPG which will likely never be topped and to which all RPGs should aspire. Sheer genius, a captivating story, complex characters, and tons of replayability. All time fave without a doubt.
  3. Dec 2, 2016
    "Sixteen years later, it is still the greatest game I've ever played, and it is still one of the best games available to fans of the RPG genre." I recently said this to a friend, to be told that there is no way that a two-dimensional game with no real multiplayer from the year 2000 could possibly be that good.

To prove him wrong, I came here - to Metacritic - and checked the top PC

To prove him wrong, I came here - to Metacritic - and checked the top PC games of all time. Sure enough, right there at number 6 was Baldur's Gate II. So tickled was I that I felt compelled to leave a review.

Here it is: this is still one of the best RPGs on the market - in my opinion THE best. If you've never played it, buy it right now.
  4. Nov 23, 2016
    I played many games before BG, but this game really made me into a Gamer. Finished it many times in many different ways, destroyed my desk in rage, laughed out loud a lot, cried at the end and compared the experience to every game ever since. Baldur's Gate saga is awesome on so many levels I can't even express it. I'll love this game to death!
  5. Nov 20, 2016
    one of the best games ever made in history of mankind. if we ever encounter aliens, i know which game i will show them.

its 2016, and still no other rpg been able to capture same brilliance bg2 did decades ago.
  6. Sep 7, 2016
    The best game of Dungeons&Dragons settings until now, and probably forever.
    All unique classes and features united in a spectacular script, with some of the best characters ever created, astonishing voice actors with great dialogues.
    From time to time I'd install and play, and don't matter what kind of party I do, which characters I choose to follow me, it is never boring or easy. I
    The best game of Dungeons&Dragons settings until now, and probably forever.

I do cry alone thinking about how much time I'll have to wait until something like that touch my soul again.
  7. Aug 6, 2016
    My brother told me to play this game after he finished the whole series himself. And after playing through both of them I just wanna go again, to try out all the different companions and classes that are available. This game revolutionized the way I look at games, until this I had no real standard for how a well written character should look like. Every little part of this games is justMy brother told me to play this game after he finished the whole series himself. And after playing through both of them I just wanna go again, to try out all the different companions and classes that are available. This game revolutionized the way I look at games, until this I had no real standard for how a well written character should look like. Every little part of this games is just brilliant. The writing is superb, the story is amazing. The amount of time put into every individual is really impressive. The combat is challenging and offers a lot variety. The game does have a learning curve, but imo that was a good thing. I've never felt so rewarded for figuring out something in a game before. I had my doubts when I looked at the year of release at first (I played GOG original version with a few mods) but now after finishing it, I'm quite convinced that this is probably the best game ever to be released on all platforms. It is simply stunning and a must play for anyone.

I'd give 20/10 if I could
  8. Jul 3, 2016
    Il gruppo di compagni si sta spostando nelle foreste nei pressi di Athkatla, deciso a trovare un modo per conquistare il covo del drago rosso Firkraag. All'improvviso, dagli alberi si manifestano uno, due poi sei, otto arcieri e maghi. Uno di loro apostrofa Jaheira - sono Arpisti, ed il comportamento della mezzelfa amica della progenie di Baal si è scontrato con gli obbiettivi dellaIl gruppo di compagni si sta spostando nelle foreste nei pressi di Athkatla, deciso a trovare un modo per conquistare il covo del drago rosso Firkraag. All'improvviso, dagli alberi si manifestano uno, due poi sei, otto arcieri e maghi. Uno di loro apostrofa Jaheira - sono Arpisti, ed il comportamento della mezzelfa amica della progenie di Baal si è scontrato con gli obbiettivi della confraternita. Anche il tentativo di risolvere pacificamente la situazione non va a buon fine, lo scontro è inevitabile ed ovviamente epico. La vittoria è amara, perchè i compagni sanno di aver ucciso proprio quelli che sono i Buoni.
    Questo è un singolo incontro. Un unico frammento di un viaggio epico, che si innesca solamente se si ha un determinato personaggio nel gruppo, e se si portano avanti determinate scelte. Firkraag è uno dei mostri più potenti del gioco, e NON è "il cattivo" nè vi è collegato in alcun modo. Si tratta solamente di un'avventura, all'interno di un'altra avventura, costruita in maniera magistrale. Tutto il resto (gameplay strategico, effetti visivi e sonori, visuali dipinte) è il degno accompagnamento per questo capolavoro.
  9. Jun 23, 2016
    There are two games I have on my number one list. The first one is ff7 the other one is Baldusr gate 2, beacasue guys this is as good as its gets. The story and characters are extremley wellwritten. It blows me away even today. How the heck did bioware pull this off?
    The only bad thing about this game, is that there probably wont be a game of this quality again.
  10. May 28, 2016
    This has become one of my all-time favorite games. The story is good, but you'll probably get so sidetracked doing fun side quests for goodies that you'll forget there is even a main quest. The characters are fun, and the game is serious when it needs to be and humorous when it can be. Combat is addictive. It is challenging enough that you feel like a boss when you win, but fair enoughThis has become one of my all-time favorite games. The story is good, but you'll probably get so sidetracked doing fun side quests for goodies that you'll forget there is even a main quest. The characters are fun, and the game is serious when it needs to be and humorous when it can be. Combat is addictive. It is challenging enough that you feel like a boss when you win, but fair enough that you never give up in total defeat when you lose. On the surface, it seems like a simple matter of getting the best equipment and winning the dice rolls, but you begin to see that there is actually a lot of strategy involved. It's a masterpiece that every semi-serious gamer needs to play at least once. Expand
  11. May 13, 2016
    A classic in the truest sense of the word. At the time of it's release it was unparalleled and still today in terms of writing it is almost peerless. The characters are colorful, fantastic, and yet somehow believable and not enough can be said about the well written fantasy plot and perhaps one of the most entertaining villains in any RPG Jon Irenicus. If you are a fan of extremely wellA classic in the truest sense of the word. At the time of it's release it was unparalleled and still today in terms of writing it is almost peerless. The characters are colorful, fantastic, and yet somehow believable and not enough can be said about the well written fantasy plot and perhaps one of the most entertaining villains in any RPG Jon Irenicus. If you are a fan of extremely well written RPGs and can look past the old school graphics then do yourself a favor and play this, preferably with some of the great mods available for it these days. Expand
  12. May 7, 2016
    To this day, in my opinion, this is still the best RPG ever created, it's utterly fantastic. Interesting story, amazing characters (and really good character development), beautiful places... if you love RPGs, this is the game for you.
  13. Apr 9, 2016
    This is the best RPG that I have ever played, and I have played dozens of them. If you have the money to buy a game, then there is no excuse to pass this one over. It's that good.
  14. Apr 8, 2016
    A rare title that actually deserves a 10. I've been playing it through at least twice a year since it came out. So, yeah, that's like 30+ playthroughs by now.

There are so many types of groups, main character classes, and tactics to try, you won't get bored.

Oh, and the voice acting is awesome.
  15. Apr 6, 2016
    A masterpiece of storytelling, wit, challenge, balance. Possibly the best RPG of all time. I played it to completion when first released and I've replayed it many years later with the same joy and immersion.
  16. Apr 6, 2016
    Like the first Baldur's Gate, this one is every bit as good (if not better). The storyline is probably one of the most engrossing I have ever had the pleasure of following. And the characters have there own personalities and feelings on most of the choices you make. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played this game. The simple fact is they don't make games like this nowLike the first Baldur's Gate, this one is every bit as good (if not better). The storyline is probably one of the most engrossing I have ever had the pleasure of following. And the characters have there own personalities and feelings on most of the choices you make. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played this game. The simple fact is they don't make games like this now days. Masterpiece is the best word to describe this game. Expand
  17. Apr 4, 2016
    Probably my favorite game of all time and one of very few games I'd ever give a 10. The Enhanced Edition version is nice as well and I do prefer it now to the original. But this is where it all started and really the EE version just has some minor reworkings to it. Most the hard work was done here and it's brilliant.
  18. Mar 5, 2016
    Respected and renowned film critic Roger Ebert famously said: "Video games can never be art. To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers."

It's a shame no one showed him this game.
  19. Jan 12, 2016
    Did you young players liked Dragonage videgames? .... or Mass effect franchise?
    Well it all started with Baldur's gate 2 back in the days.
    Masterpiece.
    'Nuff said.
  20. Sep 6, 2015
    There are very few games that can captivate like this one. From the moment you awaken and Imoen comes to help you escape the whole game is stellar. From the bickering companions, and this is long before Mass Effect and Dragon Age (The latter of which has gotten worse with every release.) to the epic storyline which, initially at least, centres upon rescuing Imoen. Before revealing itselfThere are very few games that can captivate like this one. From the moment you awaken and Imoen comes to help you escape the whole game is stellar. From the bickering companions, and this is long before Mass Effect and Dragon Age (The latter of which has gotten worse with every release.) to the epic storyline which, initially at least, centres upon rescuing Imoen. Before revealing itself to be somewhat grander in scale, the game rarely has any lulls in the story. My one complaint is that because the character of Imoen was intended to die at Spellhold, she has no real dialogue once she's back in your party. This however is fixed in the equally fantastic Throne Of Bhaal expansion. One conversation in particular she has with Edwin is hilarious.
    Since this game was initially released I have played through it countless times and still haven't done every quest, or seen every outcome. In todays gaming market which is overly saturated with generic shooters and the same Assassins Creed crap released yearly this is a total rarity. There are two games that almost match it and they are The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Origins. Of course, since Bioware effectively sold their soul to EA we have seen all of their quality drop dramatically, especially the Dragon Age franchise.
    In summation, one of the best games I have ever played. Buy it.
  21. Aug 24, 2015
    The best game of the genre, ever. Period. Must be played several times to be able to finish thoroughly, hundreds of hours of game play with great artwork, perfect dialogues and flawless voice acting. Never encountered a more immersive game. The pinnacle of RPG gaming.
  22. May 15, 2015
    I just think this is the best PC game ever made. It's 15 years old, and it's still the best plot I've ever seen in RPG game. This is the only pc game i keep playing even after all this years...
  23. Apr 12, 2015
    One only has to read the reviews here to understand why this game is considered to be one of the very best of the very best. A lot of people will give a score of 10 to a game and barely explain why. Many people here will explain very passionately why they are giving it 10. That alone tells you everything you need to know. Every game I've played since 2000 has been judged against this gameOne only has to read the reviews here to understand why this game is considered to be one of the very best of the very best. A lot of people will give a score of 10 to a game and barely explain why. Many people here will explain very passionately why they are giving it 10. That alone tells you everything you need to know. Every game I've played since 2000 has been judged against this game and none have matched its all round brilliance. From Candlekeep runt with 4-14 hp to an all powerful god with amazing abilities - this is a gaming journey unequalled for 15 years and counting. I doubt it will be forgotten for a long long time. Expand
  24. Apr 7, 2015
    Baldur's Gate 2 will stay with me till I die. I played BG 1 + 2 when they came out over 10 years ago. I remember details like I played it yesterday. Minsc's battlecries, Lich fights with so much preparation, loot and xp rewards felt so nice after finally beating some crazy hard encounters. It's a game where the developers know how to feed gamers like me what I need. I want progression,Baldur's Gate 2 will stay with me till I die. I played BG 1 + 2 when they came out over 10 years ago. I remember details like I played it yesterday. Minsc's battlecries, Lich fights with so much preparation, loot and xp rewards felt so nice after finally beating some crazy hard encounters. It's a game where the developers know how to feed gamers like me what I need. I want progression, rewards based on what I did and I want challenges that requires me to actually think. I'm so done with modern day gaming: "let's play while driving or while baby sitting a 1 year old, aka no focus". Thank you for making this game. I will never forget it, nor its awesomeness. Expand
  25. Mar 31, 2015
    This is one of the biggest games of all time, and nearly all that content is good.

The story is very good. What I like especially is that in the beginning you are put in a bad situation and are required to raise a large amount of money. This makes it difficult to always act as the typical RPG saint. The NPC companions are brilliant. Some of them won't like you or might even betray

The NPC companions are brilliant. Some of them won't like you or might even betray you depending on your choices. Some of them won't go together and will leave the party or even kill each other. Never seen better implemented or more meaningful party interaction and dialogue.

Quests are always interesting. Multiple ways to solve them. You can double cross people or trick them.

Combat is very fun, and because of the difficulty, it pays off to build a well balanced team. Or if you choose so, it can be fun to have a completely unbalanced one and face the problems that brings.

I'm rating this a 9.6/10.
  26. Feb 18, 2015
    To me? GOAT. Michael Jordan. Wayne Gretzky. Greatest of all time. Nothing has come close. I'm not just talking RPGs but gaming in general. And it is a timeless experience that has never really aged.

Every paid game journalist / writer that dares to put Dragon Age on the same level as this should get fired and be banned from the trade simply for lying to you. Hearing that limp menu music, seeing the whiny faces on character creation made me sick.

Baldurs Gate 2 says **** all that noise, **** saving the world for the 1000th time from blighting reapers.
    You are not the usual world saving hero, beloved by all, like you are nowadays all the time. You have an own agenda, an own contextualization and drive. You can be a monster, slaughtering random people at will. Or you can be the classic knight in shining armor. Or you could be one of thousand things in between. All of it makes sense because Black Isle lets you brilliantly pick and pronounce you own motivation. Even after coming back for the 50th time, this to me is still so refreshing compared to the now usual "picked by destiny blablabla, shut up now and do as we say."

You will meet wonderful characters, each with there own state of mind and depth to them.

It is vast, full of charm, full of craziness, self-confidence and most of all: detail. You will wonder what happened to the industry and bioware (EA probably happened) when you right click a found magic weapon for the first time, just to realize it comes with its own 10-15 lines of signature lore and story.

Not sure about the Enhanced Edition. Get it on GOG, get the widescreen fix, the unfinished business mod and spend a bit of time getting to now the critical character figures that are a bit disorientating at first in Dungeons and Dragons V2.

I could either end it here or massively exceed the 5000 character limit.
  27. Jan 14, 2015
    King of Kings to RPGs. Fantastic characters, amazing world waiting to be journeyed and explored, very high replay value, stories that push and drive you forward. Only downside and CON is there'll never be another work of art like SoA.
  28. Dec 11, 2014
    This is a great role playing game that puts many modern day rpg's to shame. The story and characters are top notch, I couldn't put the game down once i started. The combat is tactical and often difficult which makes winning battles feel rewarding. The graphics will obviously be outdated, the game was released in 2000. If you haven't played this game yet you're missing out.
  29. Dec 11, 2014
    Just finished it some days ago. It is really the best RPG ever: Story 1st class, gameplay complex. Some mistakes in the controlling and overview (over the many spells f.e.).
  30. Dec 1, 2014
    Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher -Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher - just to name a few). And what do I realize in this very moment? Well, I expected that after all these "modern RPGs", playing BG2 would be impossible (old graphics, static world, etc.), but JESUS CHRIST, how **** mistaken I have been!
    It's unbelievable, but BG2 is still a gem, even if you compare it to the newest games. In fact, it is a timeless piece of art. I simply love the graphics (the settings are so detailed and beautiful - almost as paintings that are great enough to be put on a wall...).
    Then, the NPCs are simply amazing: Minsc and his hamster - I do not remember a character as cool and funny in any of the following RPGs ("Go for the eyes, Boo"). And Aerie and Jaheira in the same group: when they fight for your attention and love, be prepared for one of the best written and most realistic dialogues in gaming history. Oh an Edwin, the most arrogant sorcerer ever - take him for an evil playthrough, it is SO well done.
    Besides well written NPCs and beatiful graphics, BG2 has an amazing game play and challenging fights. Gosh, the selection of arcane and divine spells is AMAZING - you basically have thousands of ways of shaping your mages and priests in a way you like it. Sorry to say, but Inquisition is a joke compared to what BG2 offered for RPG-lovers...
    Finally, BG2 has a great story. OK, I admit, it's no too original story, but it is still exciting and epic - and more importantly: the dialogues and all the writing is superb. Moreover, you play a huge part in this story and - more, more, more importantly - most of your quests somehow relate to the main story or add interesting side stories. It's really a complete difference to today's RPGs (e.g. Inquisition) where you have to kill 10 bears to complete a quest. In BG2 such quests do not exist - REALLY!!! I also didn't believe it at first, but now that I play it again, I value this old tradition of quest writing - how could game writing degrade so much over the past years??? It's unbelivable that a game from 2000 has set the standards in story- and dialogue-writing that almost all following games fail to meet (there are a few notable exceptions like ME1). Isn't this unbelievable?
    Anyway, I am going back to playing BG2 now :-) Cheers and praise to the old infinity enginge games, guys!

1. Antagonist
    I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
  3. GamePower
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.