8.6

1. Sep 5, 2011
    This game is Unique fun and has an amazing story line. There was a review that was mad about using the keyboard. DON'T LISTEN! I used my X-box 360 controller and the the controls were great! this is the best game I've played on PC in a long time. I spent about 26 hours but i skipped over a lot of side stuff, and without saying any spoilers I can promise i will play this through again justThis game is Unique fun and has an amazing story line. There was a review that was mad about using the keyboard. DON'T LISTEN! I used my X-box 360 controller and the the controls were great! this is the best game I've played on PC in a long time. I spent about 26 hours but i skipped over a lot of side stuff, and without saying any spoilers I can promise i will play this through again just to see the other sides. And they let you keep you XP and weapons for when you play it a second time. What am i doing wasting time writing this review. I have to play this game! Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2011
    The gameplay is fun, the graphics are beautiful, the music is lovely and the story is engaging. A work of art and possibly the best game I've ever played.
  3. Sep 11, 2011
    It's a shame that a bunch of nerds are only going to talk about this game based on its narration or its art style, because the actual gameplay is very solid. The weapons each have their unique style, and your choice of any two weapons lets you play with making some good combinations. There are plenty of upgrades to spend money on, which are simple but effective and varied. The adaptiveIt's a shame that a bunch of nerds are only going to talk about this game based on its narration or its art style, because the actual gameplay is very solid. The weapons each have their unique style, and your choice of any two weapons lets you play with making some good combinations. There are plenty of upgrades to spend money on, which are simple but effective and varied. The adaptive difficulty "gods" system is especially nice, letting players make enemies tougher in particular ways in order to gain more exp and money. The game is a little on the short side, sadly. The narration thing is just window-dressing - the actual game is one of the more satisfying action-rpgs I've played in years. Expand
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. Period. The graphics, the narraration, the gameplay, the story, THE MUSIC OH GOD THAT SOUNDTRACK IS AMAZING...everything is just perfect. Worth every penny.
  5. Dec 26, 2011
    From about 30 seconds into the game I started to love Bastion which is odd for someone who normally falls asleep at the mere thought of a game which could be described as "hack and slash". The love would have been sooner but I went in with very low expectations thinking it wouldn't be a game for me. Bastions world is brilliantly done, the game makes you genuinely want to go on to the nextFrom about 30 seconds into the game I started to love Bastion which is odd for someone who normally falls asleep at the mere thought of a game which could be described as "hack and slash". The love would have been sooner but I went in with very low expectations thinking it wouldn't be a game for me. Bastions world is brilliantly done, the game makes you genuinely want to go on to the next area so you can rebuild your home hub area and the narrators script and voice has changed the way I want both storylines and item descriptions presented to me forever. Every game should have a narrator like Bastions and after playing it, the mere thought of having to read things in other games is actually depressing. The combat works, there's an upgrading system which is very easy to use, interesting challenges, excellent story and reminds you of a time when games were games and not interactive films. Expand
  6. Jan 28, 2014
    I found this game laying in my Steam library. I had purchased a bundle that included this game but never really looked into. After starting the game I was instantly hooked. The combat is very simple, but there are layers of strategy hiding behind that simplicity. There are many different weapons that allow you to play with many different playstyles. But the fighting isn't even the bestI found this game laying in my Steam library. I had purchased a bundle that included this game but never really looked into. After starting the game I was instantly hooked. The combat is very simple, but there are layers of strategy hiding behind that simplicity. There are many different weapons that allow you to play with many different playstyles. But the fighting isn't even the best part of this game. The story is one of the better stories I have seen in any game. It was a unique story that had an even more unique way of telling it. The narrator just really brought this game from a good game to a perfect game. This game is worth giving a chance to, I did and now it holds a special place in my heart. Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2013
    Out of all the games that I have ever played, for any platform, Bastion is possibly the best. The game makes wonderful use of the narrator mechanic and tells a wonderful, compelling story. the game is also gorgeous.
  8. Aug 31, 2011
    Maybe someday developers will learn that making games look good and sound good is not enough to make them be good. This game plays like something from the deep dark past of gaming hell. It is really a shooter not an rpg.
  9. stv
    Sep 3, 2011
    One of the most enjoyable games of all time and most certainly the most enjoyable downloadable game ever. Kudos to Supergiant Games. Keep up the god work!
  10. Aug 29, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. I'm honest. It's stunning how such a small developer team can deliver such an excellent game. It is more than a game, it's an experience you can't get out of the head. The gameplay, the visuals and the sound- especially the music- are amazing.

Buy this. If somebody told you to buy another game: Buy this first. Because no demo and no gameplay video can express how good this game is.
  11. Dec 29, 2013
    Bastion is one of the best games I've ever played. This simple RPG is a must have. The unique game-play, custom layouts, and beautiful soundtrack all intertwine to make Bastion a great gaming experience for anyone.
  12. Sep 11, 2011
    A compelling example of what happens when story and gameplay are correctly integrated. If you hold artistic pretensions for games, then you do not want to miss Bastion!
  13. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is so good that I played through it twice back to back and each time I was sad the story ended. Beautiful music beautiful world, excellent story telling and great gameplay wraps this up as a fantastic game.
  14. Nov 17, 2011
    I liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It isI liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It is still a game I recommend to every gamer who seeks something different now and then. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    This was by far the most impressive indie game I have ever played, as well as one of my favorite games in general. The game's incredibly beautiful. The narrator is amazing, his implementation into the game really makes this game amazing. Narration in games is usually just some extra spice but Bastion wouldn't be Bastion without it, the narration is what makes this game.
  16. Jan 24, 2013
    Beautiful musically and visually. Interesting combat system that continuously challenges you. Great story all the way through as well as fantastic narration. Still, the best part of the game was the incredible music.
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    Simple, beautiful and entertaining game with a wonderful atmosphere

Simple, beautiful and entertaining game with a wonderful atmosphere

This game caught me completely off guard, I was attracted by the colorful art style, wonderful music and the deep voice of the storyteller and found the game to be so much more. It is a small indie game but it knows what it wants to be and executes it with surgical perfection. It is a story driven action-adventure game that is a bit linear in the beginning but opens up a bit later on in the game.
    You have different weapons that you collect through the game, many are generally useful but also fills a specific function. Your village starts as an empty place but you get access to new buildings that you can place there over the course of the game and they in turn, give you access to upgrades and power-ups that will increase your chances during your adventures.
    While the game mechanics are solid, the thing that captivated me was the story, music and atmosphere. You can see throughout the game that it was built with a clear vision and a lot of love. This was one of my most memorable adventures to date.
  18. Aug 12, 2012
    Bastion would have been just another shoot-and-dodge (or hack-and-slash if you favor melee weapons) game if it wasn't for the Narrator. The beauty lies in the fact that its story is literally being told along with you playing, not in bursts interrupting your gameplay. Thus you get a 10-hour long tale, that might not contain overly heroic deeds, but is a tale nonetheless, with greatBastion would have been just another shoot-and-dodge (or hack-and-slash if you favor melee weapons) game if it wasn't for the Narrator. The beauty lies in the fact that its story is literally being told along with you playing, not in bursts interrupting your gameplay. Thus you get a 10-hour long tale, that might not contain overly heroic deeds, but is a tale nonetheless, with great graphical and musical presentation. The weapons keep flowing in and they all have their place, as do the special skills. In the end it's quite worthy of both time and money spent on it. Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    I liked the concept, characters, story and audio (soundtrack and voice acting) for Bastion much more than I liked it in other AAA titles. It's a simple game, but well made and carefully tuned. It's immersive and really has a way of creating an atmosphere. I found very little glitches (i think all of them were in the AI pathfinding), and the reason why I'm giving it a 9 is because theI liked the concept, characters, story and audio (soundtrack and voice acting) for Bastion much more than I liked it in other AAA titles. It's a simple game, but well made and carefully tuned. It's immersive and really has a way of creating an atmosphere. I found very little glitches (i think all of them were in the AI pathfinding), and the reason why I'm giving it a 9 is because the character movement and fighting are often annoying Expand
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    Thrilling gameplay, cool weapons and upgrades (RPG elements), love the style and narrator. There's a free demo on steam so try it out first. The story is interesting but also confusing and a bit aimless.

Great game, sometimes the controls will throw you because of the diagonal platforms. Relatively short, takes about 9 hours to beat, more if you choose to replay it.
  21. Sep 30, 2013
    A game with great story, atmosphere, and heart. I love the narrator's voice and the way he unfolds the story. The ending(s) of the game is an amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone. It drops just short of 10 because I only give that score to games that I consider very replayable. After experiencing all the different endings to Bastion I don't feel much urge to replay it.
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is art. You got an interesting story, an incredible storyteller, a beautiful artstyle, cool gameplay, although it is sometimes inaccurate and an awesome soundtrack. It's recommended to play Bastion with an controller. Buy this game and be impressed!
  23. Dec 9, 2013
    I loved this game. Beautiful scenery and levels. The soundtrack is just fantastic and really adds to the feel of the game. The voice-over narration is easily one of the most memorable and best parts of the game. Worth every penny you spend on it.
  24. Dec 10, 2013
    Near perfect. Almost has everything a game needs.

Near perfect. Almost has everything a game needs.

Pros: Wonderful combat system where with all the combinations of weapons and challenge modes will keep you interested and sweating if you want but if you don't, it's really fluent and frustration-free to just experience the story. Beautiful design with both the storytelling and arts fascinating. The ending is awesome. With no strings attached you get to have your choice and be deeply moved/reflect a lot. At least I personally had gained unimagined insights and edifications from it unaccessible elsewhere, seriously.(Don't want to be too specific lest it becomes a spoiler)

Cons: The only shortcomings if I to say is that the game world/story is still not expanded enough, a little of story details seem a bit weird, and the ending is a little bit anticlimactic in terms of gaming (but definitely not in terms of story).

In all, games that touch our hearts are so rare these days. Bastion does it wonderfully, and genuinely, unlike some games which claim to do so but really don't; what's more is it also achieves amazing playability along with the story. Buy it, you won't regret it.
  25. Sep 28, 2013
    Were do i even start with bastion. should i talk about the inspiring graphics. should ii start with the truly amazing soundtrack. do rave about the narration what makes nothing bland what so ever. the originality, the graphics, the every thing. I have never bought a sound track for a game in my life but this was an exception. the story is also great. the game is about putting the brokenWere do i even start with bastion. should i talk about the inspiring graphics. should ii start with the truly amazing soundtrack. do rave about the narration what makes nothing bland what so ever. the originality, the graphics, the every thing. I have never bought a sound track for a game in my life but this was an exception. the story is also great. the game is about putting the broken world back together piece by piece. this is a masterpiece and for only $15 this is a must buy. Expand
  26. Nov 29, 2013
    This type of Indie game that i have loved from the moment i started playing it. Bastion has great isometric camera feature that makes the game play interesting to say the least. Many games have tried to incorporate the narrator into the story line, and i know that this is the game that put those two together very well.
    The Narrator feature was a key part of the game, without him the game
    The Narrator feature was a key part of the game, without him the game would lose meaning and the story line would be nowhere near as compelling.
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    Amazing graphics combined with interesting storytelling and nice music and gameplay. Although it was a little bit boring for me in the end, it is totally worth playing.
  28. Dec 23, 2013
    Bastion is beautifully made. Beautiful graphics. Epic narrator. The combat system could be improved but other than that, its awesome. It's pretty simple like that.
  29. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the best game ever created.
    There are many reasons for this, but ill only mention those that are spoiler free, so anyone who has not played this game need not worry.
    Let me start by saying that this is the best game ever created.
    Lets start with what is possibly the best example of voice acting in video any video game to this date. The narrator, who gives a commentary on your adventure in past tense even though you are playing through this story in the future, is amazing. His voice is godly, emotionless at time but look (or listen) closer and you'll start to learn much more about him. He does a perfect job.
    Now the art style and the way the world forms around you; both are beautiful and interesting. The combat is extremely enjoyable with a wide variety of play styles due to the amazing amount of weapons, skills and liquors available.
    This game has possibly the best moment in storytelling ever, I wont go into detail but let me say this, when given the choice to save another or complete your goal, chose the former.
    Which brings me onto the fact the game blends game play and story perfectly and although the story seems simple at first, look deeper and there is much more.
    Lastly, the music is amazing and actually relates to the game.
    This game is the closest thing to perfection it can be.
  30. Jwv
    Jan 15, 2014
    Cool levels, and there's good variation in their artwork themes, but they are very linear. I liked the enemies a lot, there are a load of different enemies with unique and funny designs, and cool and varied attacks. A con about the combat is that you have no choice in how to engage an enemy by choosing different paths to different situations, but there is in the weapon choice. There's aCool levels, and there's good variation in their artwork themes, but they are very linear. I liked the enemies a lot, there are a load of different enemies with unique and funny designs, and cool and varied attacks. A con about the combat is that you have no choice in how to engage an enemy by choosing different paths to different situations, but there is in the weapon choice. There's a big amount of weapons, and they are varied, but I feel like they just got stronger the further in the game, so that there's really not much reason to pick a bow over carbine. Lastly, the sound-effects were varied and the voice-acting and the soundtrack was absolutely stunning. The creative story-telling with an omniscient narrator and the sounds and voices truly elevate this game above mediocrity. Expand
  31. Jan 11, 2014
    There is no other option than to give this game a perfect 10.
    It's mix of combat and story is perfect topped off with a fantastic soundtrack that you will want to listen to over and over.
    The graphics are perfect for this isometric game, mixing old school isometric graphics with a bright colorful style makes any screenshot from this game into a work of art. The games story and
    There is no other option than to give this game a perfect 10.

The games story and narration are fantastic. I highly recommend this game if you enjoy semi-retro or indie platformers.
  32. Jan 17, 2014
    Bastion is a truly beautiful game. The art design is one of the greatest in video games. With a wonderful narrator, nice diversity of characters, and original story, Bastion is a lovely experience.
  33. May 7, 2014
    Probably the best game i've ever played. The graphics are beautiful,the gameplay is smooth and filled with action. But the 3 things that made me a fonof the game,are the narration,the music,and the story. First,the narration is so AWESOME,you will hope that God has the same voice as Rucks. The music gives such a good atmosphere,it fits for every situation,and I couldn't find one not thatProbably the best game i've ever played. The graphics are beautiful,the gameplay is smooth and filled with action. But the 3 things that made me a fonof the game,are the narration,the music,and the story. First,the narration is so AWESOME,you will hope that God has the same voice as Rucks. The music gives such a good atmosphere,it fits for every situation,and I couldn't find one not that sounded bad. And lastly,the story. The only word i could write to express it,is: gorgeous. I have shed a tear or two in the end,and from an indie game,its a big achivement to write a story like this. I can only recommend it for everyone. Expand
  34. Jun 3, 2014
    Simplemente, uno de los juegos más interesante de los que he jugado, Bastion te entrega una historia intensa sobre el apocalipsis que destruyó el mundo, gráficas para ser un juego Indie, muy buenas, sonidos y música, excelentes, ambientación por la que vas buscando las distintas runas, en general muy buenas, es un juego en los que la historia te deja atrapado y no puedes salir, no soy unSimplemente, uno de los juegos más interesante de los que he jugado, Bastion te entrega una historia intensa sobre el apocalipsis que destruyó el mundo, gráficas para ser un juego Indie, muy buenas, sonidos y música, excelentes, ambientación por la que vas buscando las distintas runas, en general muy buenas, es un juego en los que la historia te deja atrapado y no puedes salir, no soy un fan de los juegos Indie, solo un jugador casual de ellos, este juego me impresiono para ser un juego Indie, si se podría, le pondría 9.5/10 Expand
  35. Jun 4, 2014
    One of the best games I've ever played, definitely in my top 5, maybe even on my top 3. Really great story, as well as a wonder ful artwork and amazing music, even though the combat system was quite simple, I don't think it made the experience worse or even of less value
  36. Jun 22, 2016
    8/26/2012: Bastion is a rare gem of a game, blending solid action and RPG mechanics with a wondrous yarn of a story and the best damn narrator I've ever heard. It's a magical experience that you rarely find in this day and age, a game that reads like a book and plays like sheer awesome. The wide variety of weapons, items and upgrades means no level plays out the same way twice, and the8/26/2012: Bastion is a rare gem of a game, blending solid action and RPG mechanics with a wondrous yarn of a story and the best damn narrator I've ever heard. It's a magical experience that you rarely find in this day and age, a game that reads like a book and plays like sheer awesome. The wide variety of weapons, items and upgrades means no level plays out the same way twice, and the beautiful watercolor art style keeps your eyes pasted to the screen the whole way through. The Kid, in his silence and strength, is as endearing a protagonist as any, but his supporting cast gives him - and the player - something truly meaningful to fight for. There is a lesson or two to be learned from Bastion. You need only give it a try. Expand
  37. Jun 12, 2015
    SCORE: 9.3/10

A freaking masterpiece that is so under the radar for so many people. SuperGiant games has two games, and I love them both immensely (Transistor is amazing as well). The art direction, the narration as you go along, and perfect pacing, the story. Wow all around. I love that you can modify the difficulty yourself by adding small challenges to the gameplay organically via
    SCORE: 9.3/10

The art direction, the narration as you go along, and perfect pacing, the story. Wow all around. I love that you can modify the difficulty yourself by adding small challenges to the gameplay organically via idols. The weapon diversity is fabulous - like on Ratchet and Clank level greatness.

A game that should not be missed. A definitive bucket list game. You can knock it out on normal in less than 10 hours, and go New Game+ and more challenge to really dig deep in this gem.
  38. Apr 30, 2012
    An achingly beautiful game. Whether you are putting on your art game hat and ranting how it truly utilizes the medium of games to do things no other genre can pull off in stunningly clever ways, marveling in a beautiful and poignant story with surprising depth, relaxing with the narrators voice (Morgan Freeman wishes he could narrator like this), appreciating one of the finest gameAn achingly beautiful game. Whether you are putting on your art game hat and ranting how it truly utilizes the medium of games to do things no other genre can pull off in stunningly clever ways, marveling in a beautiful and poignant story with surprising depth, relaxing with the narrators voice (Morgan Freeman wishes he could narrator like this), appreciating one of the finest game soundtracks ever, or even just enjoying the good old fashion hacking, slashing, and shooting, Bastion has something for you. And it has something that will stay with you long past your game session. Cons are genuinely hard to pick out. Weapon balance seems a bit off until you get a few upgrades, and I suppose it takes a while for the combat to feel as varied as a less streamlined isometric game. Perhaps a slightly larger cast of enemies would be welcome. Umm...a few of the weapon challenges feel cheap. Honestly, I probably should round up to 10.

In short, buy it. Buy the soundtrack too. Gamers, we want more of this, and we want more people who are up to making things like this.
  39. Oct 16, 2011
    I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating"I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating" the world because of how it builds up under your feet. I also felt this way because the game throws you into a seemingly hopeless universe as an all powerful hope to save against nothingness... and you do this by destroying every non human living thing you come in contact with. By the end of my experience I really just wanted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, not only to test my skill but to replay all the cool levels that make up this beautiful game. Perfect in everything it has set out to be, anyone who has 8 (first play) to 16 hours to kill should get this. Expand
  40. Feb 25, 2013
    as close to perfect as you will get in this generation. a great story; enough choices with weapons and with the story goes. And the original soundtrack pushes it over the edge.

You can get it dirt cheap anywhere and it's well worth the money.
  41. Jun 10, 2012
    You're probably going to either adore or loathe this game, solely depending on whether or not you like the Narrator's voice. I love it, but some people find it grating. Watch a few gameplay videos to see which camp you fall into.

The game itself is great fun to play. There's a very extensive and well-balanced arsenal of weapons to choose from, with none feeling over or underpowered and each having many upgrade choices. The visuals are great and the soundtrack is beautiful, eerie, haunting and simply fantastic. The story is fairly short, only taking a few hours to complete, but the inclusion of the new game+ option adds some replay value, and the gods/idols system allows you to customise the difficulty with ease. I really can't recommend this game highly enough.
  42. Jun 24, 2012
    I loved everything about this game (the gorgeous art style, the gameplay mechanics, the replayability, the story, etc.), except for one thing: The narrator's voice.
    I guess there are many people who romanticize the south. Where men are still men and you can still shoot black people and put homosexuals in jail for being homosexual without many getting upset about it. I for one find that part of the world simply awful. I'm sure there are exceptions to the overall scheme I just described but as Dr. Cox says in Scrubs "When you hear hoof beats, assume horses, not zebras". And that's why I'm on the contrary repulsed whenever hearing southern accent.
  43. Jul 21, 2013
    Truly an awesome game, from the confusing but complex lore to the surprisingly exception soundtrack for an indie game. Most harp about the combat being boring, but try turning all the shrines on and you'll see how difficult and challenging the game can get.
  44. Jul 7, 2012
    Fluid and addicting game-play, great story with wonderful presentation, amazing graphics and style, awesome soundtrack, lots of innovative and great ideas. Simply put, this game is amazing.
  45. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is easily in my top 5 games for 2011. The gameplay, narration, and music are all brilliant. The game is absolutely beautiful and I think it proves that you don't need to push hardware to make a visually stunning game. It is such an enjoyable game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.
  46. Dec 7, 2012
    The game is very fun, I didn't expect much of it. But after playing it, it grows on you & the music & narration are done so well. The choices at the end, are very good. I recommend this game to everyone who likes a good story & strong mechanics in gameplay.
  47. Feb 13, 2012
    An incredible game that is both mechanically satisfying, rewarding, fun, and innovative. The narration is fantastic, moments of the storytelling and music are genuinely emotional. One of the few indie games I give a full 10/10 to.
  48. Apr 19, 2012
    At first the narrators voice and the art style seemed childish to me, but after an hour or two it starts to work and becomes great. At first the game play seems dull and rather easy, but after a couple hours it becomes awesome (use the shrine to make it harder). Also the music plays a much bigger and better role in this game than any other. If you like games that require some skill andAt first the narrators voice and the art style seemed childish to me, but after an hour or two it starts to work and becomes great. At first the game play seems dull and rather easy, but after a couple hours it becomes awesome (use the shrine to make it harder). Also the music plays a much bigger and better role in this game than any other. If you like games that require some skill and that have a good linear story then you'll probably like this game. Just don't quit on it too early. Expand
  49. Jun 23, 2012
    This is one of the greatest games I've had the honor of playing in a very long time. The story, even though basic by itself, is engulfed with many themes and little details if you actually pay attention, which helps set up the mood and background of the world itself. The game actually has very little cutscenes actually, which is such a great pace changer compared every other game theseThis is one of the greatest games I've had the honor of playing in a very long time. The story, even though basic by itself, is engulfed with many themes and little details if you actually pay attention, which helps set up the mood and background of the world itself. The game actually has very little cutscenes actually, which is such a great pace changer compared every other game these days, and is told by a new and amazing voice actor, who already got another job for another indie game that recently came out (can't recall the name of it right now, but it's a point-and-click game where you control 4 character simultaneously). Yes, even though everything is told by this one narrator, he very much does accomplish this goal very well, I promise you.

The gameplay itself follows (the best way to put it) a Diablo-like style, however, you get plenty of weapons to actually mix and match around with, as well as skills accordingly (some skills you can choose by the weapons you equip). Instead of following a stat sheet, whenever you level up, you get to choose these drinks that help buff you up (10% crit. chance while at 100% health, etc). To also increase difficulty, there is a "shrine" in the game (first found on a level, then you can build later on in the Bastion), where you can make enemies difficult (in various ways) and you will benefit by an increase of money and experience. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a videogame, and it shouldn't be a surprise that half it's awards (it has plenty of awards fyi) is about it's soundtrack. Memorable songs, very sleek music, and the ending theme will help give you goosebumps and give the ending the mood it deserved. The sounds themselves are very good, nothing sounds (no pun intended) out of place or anything.

I can't essentially say much about the graphics 'itself', but the artstyle is definitely refreshing. Even though this game actually is a very bittersweet game, the artstyle does not hinder it at all. If there's one game that can prove that you DON'T need grimdark, brown'n'bloom graphics to set up a dark mood, it's Bastion.

To wrap things up, I'll give a quick talk about the ending (no essential spoilers). This is where the beauty comes in. You make two decisions (one right before the end and at the very end). And I can tell you: there really is no good/bad answer. The decisions you have to choose are right and wrong in their own ways, and this really leads back to themes I was talking about. I don't want to talk about it too much or else I might ruin the story and the mood for you (I tend to do that sadly), but it definitely should leave you questioning about your own real life decisions (especially if you're a teenager). Supergiant Games says they want you to feel like a kid again when playing their games. And they accomplished that with me. That is why I am giving this game a 10. I have yet to play a game that made me feel a kid again and they did it with this one. Yes, it is a grim game essentially, but the artstyle and music at times just makes you feel like you're playing one of those old games you use to play a lot when you were a kid. It's as simple as that. And with that, I will gladly give this game a 10/10. I am looking forward to Supergiant's next game, as I hope many of you are too.
  50. Nov 24, 2011
    Narration is amazing, the game play is amazing, the graphic style is great. Really the only problem I have with the game is that some of the more fun weapons are just damn near impossible to properly use when you start utilizing the shrines on later stages.
  51. Nov 13, 2011
    Visually creative and lush, Bastion is a throwback to the classic story-driven action RPGs. It's inventive and action-packed with an interesting and engaging story that keeps you guessing from beginning to end. The gameplay elements aren't original but they work well here except in some instances where a mouse might work better than a controller. It could use some new advances in theVisually creative and lush, Bastion is a throwback to the classic story-driven action RPGs. It's inventive and action-packed with an interesting and engaging story that keeps you guessing from beginning to end. The gameplay elements aren't original but they work well here except in some instances where a mouse might work better than a controller. It could use some new advances in the control department but if you're a true gamer then you should be to handle it. Plush, atmospheric music and charming narration adds to the fantastic environments. Expand
  52. Apr 1, 2013
    Bastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diabloBastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diablo hack and slash with some customization and upgrade options. But really this game isn't about the gameplay, it's about the story. And this game does what it's supposed to do VERY well. Expand
  53. Jan 10, 2012
    cool game, great fun to play the weapons and loads of upgrades keeps things fresh. the mortor is pure sex! love all the characters and the slow introduction of them. Music is very very nice and whislt the narrator an kinda get a bit too much at times it is nice that the game has that and does keep things interesting.
  54. May 8, 2012
    Bastion is one of my favorite indie games of all time. The story is compelling, and after just a few minutes of gameplay I instantly began to care what happened to the world and its inhabitants. The narrator, as a mechanic and as a method of storytelling, probably has a part in this but I can't quite figure out why.
    There is plenty of variety in enemies as well, and while many complain
    There is plenty of variety in enemies as well, and while many complain about the simplistic combat, I feel they are exaggerating quite a bit. That's not to say it doesn't have its problems (which I will get to later), just that it isn't quite as bad as they make it sound.
    The art is beautiful, and I especially like the half-steampunk, half-fantasy aesthetic. Though I'll admit it's probably because it reminds me of Miyazaki's works (Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, etc.) .

Of course, while I personally like the game, it does have a few problems. On mouse and keyboard, you only have 8 walking directions and it is very hard to aim ranged weapons at small enemies. The latter is caused by the dashed line extending from your character to the cursor not lining up with the hit-box when it is lined up with the model, and vice versa.When I switched to a gamepad, so that I could have a bit more control of the movement, I was slightly disappointed by the auto-aim system. I would have infinitely preferred a dual-stick (left stick to move, right stick to aim) configuration.

Despite all this, however, I still feel that this is a game worth playing, especially at the cost of only $15. Even if you, like myself, find it slightly disappointing mechanically, the excellent story and artwork far outweigh such drawbacks.
  55. Nov 11, 2012
    Lovely art-work, innovative music, addictive voice over of the main narrator. The gameplay is your usual walkie-slashy type - with XP and money gain (level up and upgrade your weaponry). It is really the smoothness of the play, cool dynamic graphics, and constant commentary of your actions by the narrator of the story (real-time) that set this game apart from all others. HighlyLovely art-work, innovative music, addictive voice over of the main narrator. The gameplay is your usual walkie-slashy type - with XP and money gain (level up and upgrade your weaponry). It is really the smoothness of the play, cool dynamic graphics, and constant commentary of your actions by the narrator of the story (real-time) that set this game apart from all others. Highly recommend. (Hated the jump puzzle by the way :) Expand
  56. Jun 2, 2012
    Beautiful art and soundtrack, clever storytelling via the mysterious narrator, an interesting and legitimately moving storyline that unravels as you play and the some of the most innovative and entertaining gameplay I have ever experienced. The ending of the game made me feel so many different emotions, the most of which sorrow, for being finished with the game. A must-have.
  57. Jun 7, 2012
    The game is amazing and very original. It has a great story that I feel could make a great movie with. The game has yet to disappoint me. The price is very reasonable too, its $15 bucks for an amazing story, great music, wonderful narration, and around 10 - 15 hours of game play. You will not be disappointed if you're into a game that has narration with a touching story.
  58. Jul 5, 2012
    When I installed Bastion, the first thing that blew me away was the amazing color and art design. I quickly discovered a very fluid easy set of combat and gameplay mechanics. The upgrading is fun and the weapons are creative . The way the levels "appear" beneath your feet was a nice touch and I thought this new "constant narration" was just a gimmick, but it actually works and complimentsWhen I installed Bastion, the first thing that blew me away was the amazing color and art design. I quickly discovered a very fluid easy set of combat and gameplay mechanics. The upgrading is fun and the weapons are creative . The way the levels "appear" beneath your feet was a nice touch and I thought this new "constant narration" was just a gimmick, but it actually works and compliments the overall gameplay well. This is an amazing game for the low price and I highly recommend. Expand
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    Bastion is an exquisite game in all aspects. Story, art and game play.
    Bastion is an exquisite game in all aspects. Story, art and game play.
    A beautiful and impeccably told tale of loss and hope that will conduct you through pretty much all the emotional spectrum thanks to one of the best written narrations on any media, rendered in an equally formidable palette with one of the most attractive looking cartoon styles you may hope to find in a game at present times.
    Guiding you across the lavish visual landscape is another "character" of similar beauty and importance as are the graphics and your trusty weapons: The music. The music in Bastion is as necessary to the story and the game as is your character or the narrator.
    With the uncomplicated game mechanic and goals of, let's say, a platformer, Bastion (a weapon's RPG) manages to involve you emotionally in ways usually reserved for Adventure Games or large RPGs, thanks to its well crafted cast, presented to the player during the course of the game by well-timed brushstrokes of "sensations" instead of lengthy descriptions. A feat that is even more laudable since we get at best a few one-liners about each of them interspersed along the story.
    The game changes fast and frequently enough to always keep you interested on what is taking place at the moment and curious of what may be about to happen. Interesting weapons, potions and special skills make for a truly unforgettable experience that has "replayability" etched on every lost stone of Caelandia you recover.
    I think I've kissed Bastion's ass enough to make it redundant to say that I fully recommend it.
    d(^_^)b
  60. Oct 15, 2011
    I bought this from Steam after hearing much of it. I cannot express this enough, this was possibly one of the best purchases I have made to date. The art style is beautiful, the concept is incredible and unique and the story is deep and engrossing with points where it was incredibly hard-hitting. As far as I'm concerned it's been my favourite release this year and I can only hope theI bought this from Steam after hearing much of it. I cannot express this enough, this was possibly one of the best purchases I have made to date. The art style is beautiful, the concept is incredible and unique and the story is deep and engrossing with points where it was incredibly hard-hitting. As far as I'm concerned it's been my favourite release this year and I can only hope the developers intend to continue this incredible storyline with either a sequel or DLC because I'd be more than happy to pay for it. Expand
  61. Oct 21, 2011
    The game doesn't start out with much plot, but builds much towards mid game and end game. Very fun 2d game, with beautiful textures and art style. Sound track is just amazing itself. Looks like Supergiant Games made a great game introducing them into the video game industry.
  62. May 12, 2013
    Game is simply put the best indie game I have ever played. I thought the art style was amazing and the story was immersive and original. The narration was something new and different and added the perfect touch.
  63. Oct 28, 2011
    Bastion is one of those few games that really tries to be different. You are the Kid, one of the few survivors of a disaster called "The Calamity". The Calamity shattered the land of Caelondia to pieces, and you must find other survivors, rebuild the Bastion, and try to find out what caused the Calamity to happen.

+ Good combat system: The fights and moves feel smooth and right +

+ Good combat system: The fights and moves feel smooth and right
    + Great weapon system: You start out with a hammer, and as you advance through the game you'll find more and more weapons, all with their own abilities, pros, and cons.
    + Upgrades/Buffs/Achievements: Bastion comes with the ability to completely modify the difficulty you are playing. There are several buffs called "Spirits", which you can collect and aquire throughout the game. Also, you can invoke the spirits of the gods to create environmental effects, increasing an monster's lifebar for example.
    + Innovative Narrating: Bastion is all about the story. As you travel through the game, the narrator travels with you, monitoring your every move and decision. He tells you about monsters, history, landmarks, etc. A very nice add
    + A very mature cartoony look: The graphics look great, and totally belong to this sort of game.
    + Soundtracks: Nice!

- Replayability: You'll probably need 3 or 4 hours max to finish the story. Then you can start "New Game Plus Mode", restarting the campaign but with all your weapons, upgrades and buffs from your previous game, allready unlocked and at your disposal.
    - No feature DLC: The developers wanna focus on their next game and see Bastion as a 1 time thing, there won't be any future DLC available and thats, in my opinion, a missed chance.

Concluding: This is the best Indie game i have ever played! The story, the gameplay, the narrator, it all fits together perfectly. 15,- is truly a steal, this game is worth more then that.
  64. Dec 7, 2011
    This game has a great story, amazing visuals, insanely good combat and you get this great feeling just by playing it. Supergiant games managed to give me this great experience that I haven't really had since some of the great, lush adventure games for the PS2. The game is kinda "old-school" in the way that the gameplay is so pure and straight-forward, but they have brought in a lot ofThis game has a great story, amazing visuals, insanely good combat and you get this great feeling just by playing it. Supergiant games managed to give me this great experience that I haven't really had since some of the great, lush adventure games for the PS2. The game is kinda "old-school" in the way that the gameplay is so pure and straight-forward, but they have brought in a lot of stuff in the aesthetic department. For the price, this game is most definitely worth buying. Expand
  65. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is so good, so inspired, so overwhelmingly original, it nearly goes beyond words. The art is cartoon-like, but still mature enough to carry the story well. The story is highly engaging. The action is amazingly good, with narration for everything you do (or even don't do). In fact, the narration is what makes the story carry so well. You are never alone in this game. The narratorThis game is so good, so inspired, so overwhelmingly original, it nearly goes beyond words. The art is cartoon-like, but still mature enough to carry the story well. The story is highly engaging. The action is amazingly good, with narration for everything you do (or even don't do). In fact, the narration is what makes the story carry so well. You are never alone in this game. The narrator is always letting you know what is new and what is going on, even if you're the one doing it, and it manages to never be repetitive. Fantastic game! Expand
  66. Nov 2, 2011
    Extremely original and unique game. Absolutely love the narration, music, and visuals, and I personally find the combat to be satisfying. The world they create catches you from the get go, and it is seriously difficult to put this game down. Definitely a must play.
  67. Dec 27, 2014
    This game is literally a moving watercolor painting. Great narrator, great on the side 'horde modes', fun combat with many different weapons, special attacks, and spirits at your disposal, and probably the best video game music i've heard since ODST. The story is pretty good to boot and all comes together well at the end.

GOTY.
  68. Mar 14, 2012
    Bastion is one of those games that takes you back to a time when you used to enjoy fairy tales in all their full colors and wonders without questioning anything about them in relative to the realism. Supergiant games has proved that in these time of entertainment when every fiction is trying to get it's story to be grounded in reality as much as possible without breaking the concept or theBastion is one of those games that takes you back to a time when you used to enjoy fairy tales in all their full colors and wonders without questioning anything about them in relative to the realism. Supergiant games has proved that in these time of entertainment when every fiction is trying to get it's story to be grounded in reality as much as possible without breaking the concept or the elements of fiction, a story can still be told that doesn't have to try to fulfill this requirement in order to get the attention and time of a logical mind. Bastion drives heavily on the narration of one character Rucks in the game who has been voiced incredibly by a Logan Cunningham (i'm keeing his voice with those of Morgan freeman and such from hollywood.. Seriously). Right from the beginning of the game to the end, including every action by the protagonist and details about the diverse places where the games ventures, everything is described by him in a manner that you can't help but listen and contemplate what was just said and yet none of what he says takes too much thinking to understand. I mean this one thing, rucks' talking, constitutes more than half of the games. and believe me his talking ain't just some blabbering. like i said he's telling you a story you want to enjoy without the anticipation of answers (which eventually are provided) of the questions that arise during the game ruining the experience. it's the way Rucks unfolds the events in the game by his narration that makes the experience beautiful. then the other things driving the game are visual design and music. I mean it's all hand painted design of everything here that has been given simple and effective animation to bring life into the game. and the music for each level and scenario has been composed so beautifully that after your playthrough you'd definitely be getting the album. lastly the gameplay is good if not great. things were kept interesting by players getting some different new weapon or upgrade regularly. but the gameplay delivers fun more in the proving grounds than in the main story missions as each weapon you acquire in the game is used in different proving grounds for completing challenges like shooting as many targets as possible in the given time and such. you rely on your reflexes in here more than you do in the story missions. in the end i just want to say that don't go by the size of the game (which is just under 800 MB) or seeing that this game is a downloadable one so won't be as good as the full blown games. it packs a punch stronger than the recent 15 or 20 gigs games that i've played recently. believe me in the coming times whereas you'll keep getting the iterations in the installments of the established series from big companies like EA or Activision, the innovation for a wholly different experience will come out from independent games only. I literally thank Supergiant games for making me a child for awhile again without letting me feel childish about it. Expand
  69. Jan 10, 2012
    Pretty solid game. Good story, good voice acting, nice graphics. Game-play is very addictive and fun (easy to play hard to master). I would give it a 10, but the combat is actually pretty simple and locations are almost the same all the time.
  70. Nov 20, 2011
    one of the best games ive played , i have even bought the soundtrack , fantastic music that fits the areas and combat perfectly, fluid combat with a wide variety of weapons to use, the graphics and atmosphere are great the whole word tells a story , engrossing storyline with an ending better than most i have seen in a long time.
  71. Dec 6, 2011
    Beautiful. Easily one of the best story games I've ever played ;) The music, graphics, and narration immerse you into the world of Bastion. I like to make video game lets plays over everything I play, but I had a difficult time doing this one, cuz I felt that me talking over it ruined it a bit. 10/10
  72. Jan 27, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. Every thing is tied together perfectly, creating a seamless, coherent experience. Everything about the game - the music, the art style, the gameplay - ties into the theme. A perfect, perfect game.
  73. Nov 24, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played.. Visually stunning, beautiful soundtrack, super game play and a great story. The only negative is that I wish it was longer. I sure hope this gets game of the year award.
  74. Nov 26, 2011
    Amazing. There is nothing else that I can say about this game. It is simply amazing. Everything about it is amazing. I do not have a single complaint about bastion.
  75. Jan 11, 2012
    Story? Beautifully simple. Visuals? Marvelous. Gameplay? Addicting. Bastion has left me wanting more, especially after the choice of two endings. If you haven't beaten the game already, take the first ending. Then beat the game in New Game Plus, which is basically the same thing except you have almost everything you found first time around, and experience the second ending. Take my wordStory? Beautifully simple. Visuals? Marvelous. Gameplay? Addicting. Bastion has left me wanting more, especially after the choice of two endings. If you haven't beaten the game already, take the first ending. Then beat the game in New Game Plus, which is basically the same thing except you have almost everything you found first time around, and experience the second ending. Take my word for it, it's much better that way because I did it the other way around. In an era where games are often rehashed, Bastion is a breath of fresh air. It has been a awhile since I've played a game like this, reminds me of my childhood that was spent playing Legend of Zelda. Bastion is worth every penny. Expand
  76. Dec 8, 2012
    Brilliant, one of the most original RPGs ever created. The style is just fantastic. The voice acting and duologue is superb. The story is brilliant, every moment is great. The only negative I would have to give is that, I feel the replay value is very low. The gameplay time itself is already very short, once you've played it through, the awesomeness fades away, but it is still an amazingBrilliant, one of the most original RPGs ever created. The style is just fantastic. The voice acting and duologue is superb. The story is brilliant, every moment is great. The only negative I would have to give is that, I feel the replay value is very low. The gameplay time itself is already very short, once you've played it through, the awesomeness fades away, but it is still an amazing game. Play it! Collapse
  77. Jan 11, 2012
    Alright, I give it a 9 because the replay value sits at about nothing after you finish it the second time. The narration is entertaining, but the game is not expansive. You're in a short story, and I will be giving this game to any child that enjoys video games.
    From the perspective of 'it's too easy'; try saying that with all ten idols on. I had that reaction, but that's why they gave you the ability to make the game as tough as you can handle. While it is insane to impose stress on yourself, you can't say that the game is too easy, because it can be made harder. It's a good game for a kid to play, but strong enough for an adult. This is a fun RPG, and deserves to be played by everyone who would like to play a fantastic RPG.
  78. Dec 20, 2011
    Fantastic game that I would recommend to ANYONE regardless of age. Fantastic action, story telling, art direction, music and sound. This game will make crack smiles. This is a video game. You won't be disappointed.
  79. Dec 20, 2011
    Bastion gives you a lot of quality gaming for your money. The concept of having a narrator seems so simple, but adds a lot of depth and uniqueness. Just go easy on it; after about 8 hours of content button-mashing, I was well on my way to carpel-tunnel.
  80. Jul 21, 2014
    One of the best indie games out there. Bastion is a rich and beautiful game, with its story expertly narrated by the incredibly entertaining & funny Ruck which proves you don't need a AAA budget with full Voice-over characters to tell a good story and is a steal on the Steam sales for a couple of £/$
  81. Dec 26, 2011
    Very good game, especially when it's 66% off it's original price, as it is on the day of this writing on Steam. Even at full price, this game is worth it. The biggest draw here is the narrator telling the story of the main character. His story telling really adds a wonderful element to what would otherwise be an above-average game. This is really one of the best indie games to come out inVery good game, especially when it's 66% off it's original price, as it is on the day of this writing on Steam. Even at full price, this game is worth it. The biggest draw here is the narrator telling the story of the main character. His story telling really adds a wonderful element to what would otherwise be an above-average game. This is really one of the best indie games to come out in a long time and it'll keep your attention with its excellent story telling and enjoyable gameplay. This is just a fun game and anyone who enjoys playing games should pick this up on whatever platform you use the most, whether it be the 360 or the PC, especially today when it's on sale on Steam. Buy it and you won't regret it and that's something you can't say for most games that are released in this day and age. Expand
  82. Feb 12, 2013
    Bastion is a great example of what a complete video game should be: great fun factor, gameplay, controls, music, scenery, and diversity in items as well as enemies. The story line is very simple, the game obviously wants you to focus on the gameplay. Now I am probably one of few that did not find much replay value in the game, though it is set up to be replayed many times, so IF you endBastion is a great example of what a complete video game should be: great fun factor, gameplay, controls, music, scenery, and diversity in items as well as enemies. The story line is very simple, the game obviously wants you to focus on the gameplay. Now I am probably one of few that did not find much replay value in the game, though it is set up to be replayed many times, so IF you end up liking this game, then it will deliver its value ten fold. Expand
  83. Jun 2, 2012
    A great game that everyone should experience. Fantastic music and art style. Fluid and fun combat. Well worth the $15 it normally costs. Buy it now.
  84. Jul 19, 2012
    Bastion is a game made by only 7 people yet it packs a serious punch. You start off awakened from a concussion which you soon find out was caused by the Calamity, a catastrophe which nearly destroys the entire world. As you walk the ground forms in front of your feet. The story soon progress to the Bastion, a refuge which was made for an instant like the calamity. You then travel toBastion is a game made by only 7 people yet it packs a serious punch. You start off awakened from a concussion which you soon find out was caused by the Calamity, a catastrophe which nearly destroys the entire world. As you walk the ground forms in front of your feet. The story soon progress to the Bastion, a refuge which was made for an instant like the calamity. You then travel to different areas to search for survivors and cores so you can expand the Bastion. These expansions give you customisation. For example the arsenal allows you to swap around unlocked weapons (you can have a primary, secondary and special) and the forge allows you to upgrade them. There is also a distillery which allows you to have potions running which gives you boosts (you can have 1 per level), and five other buildings. It Expand
  85. Jan 7, 2012
    What a Wonderful little game this is. The art style is very pleasing and the soundtrack adds to the ambient nature of the game. This is one of those rare titles I had to buy the soundtrack for. The game itself can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be and my only dislike is it ended. 0.o Bastion is by far the best Indie game I have come across to date, it was well worth the $5What a Wonderful little game this is. The art style is very pleasing and the soundtrack adds to the ambient nature of the game. This is one of those rare titles I had to buy the soundtrack for. The game itself can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be and my only dislike is it ended. 0.o Bastion is by far the best Indie game I have come across to date, it was well worth the $5 price tag and is something both My sons and myself have played nearly to death over the holiday. Expand
  86. Feb 1, 2012
    Enough has already been said about this game, that I do not have to repeat myself. I will simply list the many things Bastion does right: In no particular order: - Quick combat that rewards strategy in loadout and player choice. - Artsy-fartsy narrative that only serves to strengthen the sense of player involvement without losing the player in its philosophical underpinnings. - AEnough has already been said about this game, that I do not have to repeat myself. I will simply list the many things Bastion does right: In no particular order: - Quick combat that rewards strategy in loadout and player choice. - Artsy-fartsy narrative that only serves to strengthen the sense of player involvement without losing the player in its philosophical underpinnings. - A culmination of the 'silent protagonist' stereotype that is a perfect representation of what a player avatar should be. - One of the few instances of an unreliable yet omniscient narrator DONE RIGHT. - The most human antagonist ever found in any medium. Now, we know that this game isn't perfect; it can get boring to sit there and play through this game in one sitting, all elements of gameplay tie into the story including increasing the difficulty which can frustrate players, the cel-shaded graphics and overall "sameness" of the levels can weigh in on your enjoyment, and the story can become something worthy of the Picard face palm at points. But Bastion succeeds brilliantly at execution, and I cannot do anything less than recommend it. Just be aware that it can weigh you down, so keep those play sessions short! Expand
  87. Feb 18, 2012
    I play this game because of the story and great soundtrack. The game play is just simple and linear like a normal action game, but what the heck! this game is great! I hope more kind of this game will be made. For Super giant Games congratulations!
  88. Feb 5, 2012
    Bastion is an Action RPG with little weaknesses and a lot of strengths. The gameplay is deep. You can choose from 7 unique weapons, each with its own combat style, and there is also a feature that allows you to increase the difficulty as you see fit. The story is unique, the soundtrack is great, and the narration is superb. If you're an Action RPG fan and are itching for a great game withBastion is an Action RPG with little weaknesses and a lot of strengths. The gameplay is deep. You can choose from 7 unique weapons, each with its own combat style, and there is also a feature that allows you to increase the difficulty as you see fit. The story is unique, the soundtrack is great, and the narration is superb. If you're an Action RPG fan and are itching for a great game with a great story, do not let this heck of a gem pass you up. Expand
  89. Feb 9, 2012
    Music- 10/10. Graphics- 10/10. Storyline- 9/10. Combat/ Game Play- 7/ 10. The repetitive hack and shoot gameplay was fun at first, but slowly began to fade into a trudging dungeon crawl. while it's not my favorite game, Supergiant shows virtually limitless promise for future games, and it would be a good idea to keep them on your radar.
  90. Jun 5, 2012
    The game has a beautiful art style that feels hand drawn, the music is fantastic and the quirky narrator definitely helps the game along. There are a lot of weapons, each has several special moves which left so many varieties it was hard to try them all out. The action is a little slow paced at times and some weapons feel under and some overpowered. Overall though I think the art, music,The game has a beautiful art style that feels hand drawn, the music is fantastic and the quirky narrator definitely helps the game along. There are a lot of weapons, each has several special moves which left so many varieties it was hard to try them all out. The action is a little slow paced at times and some weapons feel under and some overpowered. Overall though I think the art, music, story and humor make for a good game. Expand
  91. Mar 19, 2012
    This is an amazing game with a great soul. The gameplay is fun, but what makes Bastion special is the atmosphere. The narrator is awesome, the music is amazing, and the story unfolds in a very impactful way. There was a certain point during the game where a song started up in the distance, and I was just blown away by the emotions it involved. You'll know when you get to that part. IThis is an amazing game with a great soul. The gameplay is fun, but what makes Bastion special is the atmosphere. The narrator is awesome, the music is amazing, and the story unfolds in a very impactful way. There was a certain point during the game where a song started up in the distance, and I was just blown away by the emotions it involved. You'll know when you get to that part. I should also mention that this game has good replay value, which is enhanced by special game modes and the "dream" challenge levels, which I really enjoyed. Just say yes to Bastion. You won't regret it. :P Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is just amazing. The gameplay is fun, the soundtrack is incredible good and the story is fine. But the best thing is the Narrator and how he presents the whole game to you. Just buy it.
  93. Mar 19, 2012
    A lovely melding of narrative, platform action and shooting mechanics. Worth playing for the distinctive design, voice acting and music alone. Old school but fresh and fun. Highly recommended.
  94. Apr 8, 2012
    Normally all the "Wow its so much Art" and "Artful masterpiece" Indy games disappoint me. Mostly the game mechanics are flat and the game gets repetitive very fast. But this game here is different. It looks beautiful and there are at least 3 completely different play styles. A lot of weapons, upgrades and unlockables. It has a fresh difficulty system and the story a narrated with the bestNormally all the "Wow its so much Art" and "Artful masterpiece" Indy games disappoint me. Mostly the game mechanics are flat and the game gets repetitive very fast. But this game here is different. It looks beautiful and there are at least 3 completely different play styles. A lot of weapons, upgrades and unlockables. It has a fresh difficulty system and the story a narrated with the best narrator voice you could imagine in this setup! A proper indy masterpiece! Expand
  95. Jul 3, 2014
    Pros: Fantastic music and graphics. An interesting narrator that comments on your actions / decisions.

Cons: It's a fairly short game.

It's a fun title you'll beat in a few hours and probably never come back to, but the music and narrator make it a memorable experience, and i think back to Bastion as one of my best experiences in gaming.
  96. Apr 5, 2014
    One of the better indie titles. Really enjoyed it sitting back using a gamepad, Ever so slightly reminded me of Battle Toads! Easy to get into, fun to play, I loved the soundtrack and scores, they are what really drew me into this game. When the battles got intense and that music fired up... mmm I love it! Good upgrade paths and choice of weapons. They have passive trinkets too! I loveOne of the better indie titles. Really enjoyed it sitting back using a gamepad, Ever so slightly reminded me of Battle Toads! Easy to get into, fun to play, I loved the soundtrack and scores, they are what really drew me into this game. When the battles got intense and that music fired up... mmm I love it! Good upgrade paths and choice of weapons. They have passive trinkets too! I love passives! Controls were smooth and fluid, I enjoyed the narration even though it was constant it was pulled off really well. Story was slightly confusing until the end. Story-wise it depends on your taste, but I found it to be slightly random-cliche.. but still had just enough depth to keep me interested. I'd recommend this title for the price. Cheers Expand
  97. Apr 24, 2012
    Intriguing story, awesome narration, and beautiful music make this game a good play for the price. I have seen top-class games ($50-$60) that paled in comparison to this one. In short: buy it and have fun. It is incredibly creative, mystical, and the ending... well, this is one of the few low-cost games I have played that has a good ending.
  98. Apr 25, 2012
    I honestly have to admit that I was sceptical when I saw my little brother play Bastion, but when Steam put it on sale I decided to give it a go.

And boy am I happy that I did. I'm not the biggest fan of indiegames, but Bastion is really a masterpiece with innovative storytelling. It showed me that a game doesn't have to have a huge budget to be great, and even though only a handful of people worked on this game, it's as good as any game!

If you're sceptical of indiegames - don't be! This game is a f***ing masterpiece!

9/10 from me, being closer to 10/10 than 8/10.
  99. Apr 30, 2012
    Brilliant different charming game. I thouroughly enjoyed the narrative, was enchanted by the score, enthralled by the story and stunned by the scenery. Indy games are more often than not showing the triple A titles what can be achieved with a little imagination and a lot of talent, and Bastion is one of the finest examples. This game gave more joy than the majority of full priced titles IBrilliant different charming game. I thouroughly enjoyed the narrative, was enchanted by the score, enthralled by the story and stunned by the scenery. Indy games are more often than not showing the triple A titles what can be achieved with a little imagination and a lot of talent, and Bastion is one of the finest examples. This game gave more joy than the majority of full priced titles I have played in recent times and I would recomend it highly. 9.5 Expand
  100. May 1, 2012
    Bastion is one of the best games I ever played. I registered on this site just to give my opinion on what I think is one of the best games ever. The atmosphere is one of the best I have ever experienced, and the story is not bad either. I loved the narration; it gave further details about what is going on and what happened in the calamity. The journeys to who knows where combined narrationBastion is one of the best games I ever played. I registered on this site just to give my opinion on what I think is one of the best games ever. The atmosphere is one of the best I have ever experienced, and the story is not bad either. I loved the narration; it gave further details about what is going on and what happened in the calamity. The journeys to who knows where combined narration and back-story with a test of your skills, and created a tense, awesome experience. The battle system is amazing as well. I prefer the PC because you can choose to never use the auto aim (which I think ruins the game). The weapons are all different and with combinations, many different play styles can be used. The shrine system is also genius. Plays set the games difficulty not with some boring option in the menu, but by unlocking shrines and making the gods angry. I loved this game so much that I went over to supergiants web site and bought the pack with a bandana, signed artwork, a shirt, and the soundtrack. That reminds me... the soundtrack is awesome. Everything about this game is just so good, I had to write a review, It is innovative to the right degree, has just the right amount of story, has a combat system that doesn't get old (on the pc without using auto-aim), and has a world that leaves you wondering what you'll see next. I love this game so much and recommend it to everyone :) Expand
  101. Dec 8, 2012

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.