8.6

1. Nov 8, 2011
    The first development of the studio Supergiant Games was a success on the Xbox 360, so of course a port to PC would be a great idea. I don't own a console myself, so I can't really compare the two versions.
    The game starts out with the kid waking up to a world that is falling apart. The calamity is here. You are immediately greeted with stunning visuals. The hand painted backgrounds with
    their many colors combined with the somewhat chaotic feel of a world in pieces, where the ground sort of rises before your feet give the game a great atmosphere that fits the game well.
    The sound is amazing and I recommend you go buy the soundtrack. It'll be worth it. It sort of has a western theme to it.
    The most important aspect of this game is probably that it's more the telling of a story than anything else. Sure, the combat system is fun and fast paced but there isn't really much depth to it. No, the most important thing is the story and how it's told, and that's the most interesting part. The game is narrated by a stranger you meet and his voice is just godly. It's like caramel running through your ears. He gives the story a whole lot of depth as you move along in the game while commenting on your actions in a way that I've never seen done before. The stranger is a character of his own, he's not just "the voice in your head". He actually has a purpose in this story.
    If you'd like to spend a few hours on a great story then go ahead, buy this game, you won't regret it. Just don't expect too much from the gameplay.
  2. Jan 4, 2012
    Bought this game on the cheap from Steam for $5 and found it absolutely amazing. Brilliant narrative, and fun gameplay that is nothing new or innovative but is still fun.
  3. Sep 3, 2011
    Simple to play, yet deep and compelling. A wonderful storyline narrated perfectly as you play. Some of the artwork and music here is better than a great deal of A list games today.
  4. Sep 3, 2011
    Fantastic little game, great production values, incredible BSO, pretty all around, nice story. Played 20 hours on this, best 15 euros spent on videogames this year. Those idiots giving the game negative ratings without even reviewing it to explain why have probably never even played the game.
  5. Apr 30, 2012
    An achingly beautiful game. Whether you are putting on your art game hat and ranting how it truly utilizes the medium of games to do things no other genre can pull off in stunningly clever ways, marveling in a beautiful and poignant story with surprising depth, relaxing with the narrators voice (Morgan Freeman wishes he could narrator like this), appreciating one of the finest game soundtracks ever, or even just enjoying the good old fashion hacking, slashing, and shooting, Bastion has something for you. And it has something that will stay with you long past your game session. Cons are genuinely hard to pick out. Weapon balance seems a bit off until you get a few upgrades, and I suppose it takes a while for the combat to feel as varied as a less streamlined isometric game. Perhaps a slightly larger cast of enemies would be welcome. Umm...a few of the weapon challenges feel cheap. Honestly, I probably should round up to 10.

In short, buy it. Buy the soundtrack too. Gamers, we want more of this, and we want more people who are up to making things like this.
  6. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is so good that I played through it twice back to back and each time I was sad the story ended. Beautiful music beautiful world, excellent story telling and great gameplay wraps this up as a fantastic game.
  7. Oct 22, 2011
    Beautiful game, and the best narration I've ever heard. Indie games are really coming into their own at present and this is the reason why. $15 bucks for 6-10 hours of addictive gameplay, emotive story telling and lovely artwork.

Well done indie developers, keep up the great work!
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    Ive been interested in this game for a long time, but i finally bought it in the steam sales and i was glad i did, the art and narration are fantastic and the gameplay lives upto the style, its smooth and fast paced.
    While the game is fairly short about 5-6 hours there is an harder version unlocked on completion.
    So after like 12 months of been unsure, i bought and i loved it.
  9. Aug 23, 2011
    The best Indie game so far, and i played many of 'em. If you like Action RPGs, than this is a must buy. Cool narrator, good story, many weapons and skills, and many cool new and fresh ideas. Pair that with a fantastic soundtrack and gorgeous full HD 2D graphics, and you'll get the best bang for the buck in a long time. And it has a lot of replayability too!
  10. Sep 19, 2011
    Easily the one of the best if not the best game XBLA has to offer variety of weapons and a different way of telling a story which may annoy some but to me was a nice change of pace compared to other action rpgs.
  11. Sep 23, 2011
    Everyone needs to play this game, If I had the money I would buy everyone this game. It has single handedly restored my faith in the future of gaming. All i can say is just..wow...seriously..just wow. Probably one of the greatest stories i've ever played. Everything from the narration, to the music ..my god the music..and just the epic epic story that sucks you in is just amazing. Truly a masterpiece where gaming meets art meets story. I actually bought the soundtrack after beating it because i was just that impressed with this game and these guys deserve every bit of my money. I'm already on my 2nd play-through just to play it again and unlock everything i missed. It really is that damn good. Expand
  12. Aug 27, 2011
    Wow, this is so overrated. If I was just judging by the voice over and story it would be a 10. But unfortunately the combat falls way short. The fighting is ridiculously simple--like a game from the 80s, but not in a good, retro way. The enemies just fade out without death animations which is very unsatisfying. The game's laughably easy with the hardest thing being that the hit boxes for the sprites seems off so you have to pass your projectiles beneath the enemies. Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2011
    Simply put: It's an amazing game. It takes you back to when games were more about gameplay and story that just graphics (Not that the graphics are bad, mind you). In simple words, it's an amazing game that it's worthy of being added to anyone's gaming collection.
  14. Aug 24, 2011
    Simply put, Bastion is an amazing game. From it's wonderfully crafted 2D world that springs to life around you, to the compelling narrative driven story, simple yet satisfying game-play and a sound track that just feels so right, Bastion is guaranteed to provide an entertaining experience to any action RPG fan. While the game's story consists of linear missions, there's plenty of customisation with the game's weapon and skill system, along with optional distractions such as weapons training courses and a flash-back mode to get extra bits and pieces of the story. With it's modest $15 price tag, Bastion is difficult not to recommend, and with a demo available there's little reason not to try it! Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2011
    Maybe someday developers will learn that making games look good and sound good is not enough to make them be good. This game plays like something from the deep dark past of gaming hell. It is really a shooter not an rpg.
  16. Mar 16, 2013
    Bastion is definitely a good game. No question about it but it isn't really a GREAT game. When it was released it was descended into the gaming world amid of ticker tape parade of hype. It did not live up to that hype at least not across the board. The gameplay, character development and plot are all good but like I said before none of them are great. The game is not without monotony, the enemies aren't (by and large) particularly distinct, the multitude of weapons and attacks add something but that something isn't really that much fun, the plot is sort of vague and unnecessarily dark. The bosses, level designs and 'quests' feel pretty repetitive.

All that said what Bastion does do is bring a really novel and humanizing use of game narration and actual voice to transform its gameplay. The effect wears off after a few hours but having the narrator (who's voice I love) responding to the nuanced gameplay choices you make is truly fun. He will mock you if you are playing poorly or dawdling he will comment on your ingame successes and tell the elements of the story as they unfold around you. The other element of the game that really grabbed me and deserves mention is the manner in which the game world is 'constructed' around you. The levels assemble and disassemble themselves as you play in a way that is interesting and beautiful.

In closing Bastion is an interesting product and definitely worth a play through. It has incredibly innovative elements unfortunately none of those elements are truly central to the gameplay.
  17. Jan 12, 2012
    some hate the narrator and some love it. it is a matter of taste. i myself enjoyed it. made the whole world a lot less empty. i sometimes even forgot that the world was supposedly shattered and that most people are dead. however i did find some lesser points tough. for starters there are to many skills and weapons for a small game like this. i get weapon after weapon thrown at me causing me to not even bother to upgrade most of the weapons i get till i reached the endgame at which you have 2 weapons that are already the best. the same goes for the skills: you get one useful skill and you stick to it till the end. id still recommend it tough as its rare to find a game of this quality in its genre during the past few years. just don't expect an amazing game. its just very good Expand
  18. Nov 7, 2011
    An excellently crafted experience, good core mechanics and a narrator that will give even Morgan Freeman a run for his money. The setting is well done and overall the game has alot of polish.
    Id say that using a x360 controller is the easiest way to play it. Happy gaming
  19. Aug 17, 2011
    For an Indie game i purchased on a whim that i expected to be childish junk, this game totally blew me away. As a linear RPG with an interesting twist through its narration it was surprisingly fun, and challenging. The game offers tons of ways to customize your play through experience from choosing weapons, customizing the weapons in different ways, upgrading them and your town. Choosing special abilities and perks for your characters and offering a TON of different ways to make each level you enter different through bonus's and challenges you unlock in the game. Super fun, super classy, this is a game you wont regret buying. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2011
    This is one of the best recent games at a bargain price. It's a low budget Indie game, so I actually added a point to account for the value of the game compared to the price. The game itself has a fairly standard action RPG format, but is surprisingly polished, and adds a couple of things that you won't see in other games. One of those is the narration, which is pervasive throughout the game. I never thought it was out of place or annoying. It just adds flavor to the game. Another interesting thing they did was allow you to change the difficulty on a piece by piece basis. In the shrine building, you can make monsters have more health or do more damage and a whole bunch of other things, and in exchange you get more experience and more money for your added trouble. I don't think the game has a ton of replay value, but it's a decent game for a bargain basement price. Expand
  21. Oct 16, 2011
    I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating" the world because of how it builds up under your feet. I also felt this way because the game throws you into a seemingly hopeless universe as an all powerful hope to save against nothingness... and you do this by destroying every non human living thing you come in contact with. By the end of my experience I really just wanted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, not only to test my skill but to replay all the cool levels that make up this beautiful game. Perfect in everything it has set out to be, anyone who has 8 (first play) to 16 hours to kill should get this. Expand
  22. Feb 25, 2013
    as close to perfect as you will get in this generation. a great story; enough choices with weapons and with the story goes. And the original soundtrack pushes it over the edge.

You can get it dirt cheap anywhere and it's well worth the money.
  23. Jan 9, 2013
    This game left me confused. It has nice, lush graphics, some fun enemies and a beautiful world to roam through. The story is somewhat convoluted but very well conveied (although I personally feel the narrative style does get old after a while). The weapon system is an interesting one and has got lots of upgrades. But just when you're fully upgraded, levelled up etc. the game ends. Why? Why only 20 small scaled levels, not including the weapon upgrade levels? Sure, you can start all over again and you can keep your stuff and level up even further, but there's no real point to me if it doesn't bring me any new surroundings or storyline as a reward. It's no fun repeating the levels AND hearing the same old story over and over again just with higher difficulty (so I probably should have made thing more challenging to myself BEFORE I knew how short this game was? The map looked big enough for more challenges). This game could have been awesome if it would at least include some sort of level editor so that the users can provide each other with more, different levels. Now it's just a bit unsatisfying to me. I enjoyed my 6 hours of gameplay very much, but it's not enough. Needs more levels. Expand
  24. Sep 11, 2011
    Bastion is an amazing game, filled with colorful art and a sexy narration that tells the story as you play as oppose to ripping the camera and controls from you so you can watch a 5 minute cut scene. I would love to play another game with this guy as a lead voice. Music for the game is also very good and fitting for this kind of game, somewhat somber at times.The game play is pretty fast pace and excellent, though has it's short falls. One of them is that you are given too many weapons, Unless you plan on experimenting with the weapon load-out, You will usually stick with what works for you. Same with secret skills, which I hardly ever used while playing. Overall, an amazing game that opens up for you the more you play. 9 out of 10 for this excellent indie game. Expand
  25. May 12, 2012
    he story and narration are done exceptionally well, but at its heart, Bastion is simply a top view hack & slash shooter. What it does, it does well making it a great addition to the genre. The narration delivers something unique plus it includes some decent music, although I couldn't find anything exceptional in the gameplay. It was on par with my expectations, but never exceeded them. At roughly 6 hours in length, it proved a pleasant distraction from my core games. Expand
  26. Jun 10, 2012
    You're probably going to either adore or loathe this game, solely depending on whether or not you like the Narrator's voice. I love it, but some people find it grating. Watch a few gameplay videos to see which camp you fall into.

The game itself is great fun to play. There's a very extensive and well-balanced arsenal of weapons to choose from, with none feeling over or underpowered and
    each having many upgrade choices. The visuals are great and the soundtrack is beautiful, eerie, haunting and simply fantastic. The story is fairly short, only taking a few hours to complete, but the inclusion of the new game+ option adds some replay value, and the gods/idols system allows you to customise the difficulty with ease. I really can't recommend this game highly enough. Expand
  27. stv
    Sep 3, 2011
    One of the most enjoyable games of all time and most certainly the most enjoyable downloadable game ever. Kudos to Supergiant Games. Keep up the god work!
  28. Nov 9, 2011
    Dunno what all the fuss is about, this is just boring and pointless. These kind of games should have disappeared a long time ago. So you walk around and shoot things, pick up loot, and repeat. Just about on the level of zelda from the olde days. Lame.
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    I loved everything about this game (the gorgeous art style, the gameplay mechanics, the replayability, the story, etc.), except for one thing: The narrator's voice.
    I guess there are many people who romanticize the south. Where men are still men and you can still shoot black people and put homosexuals in jail for being homosexual without many getting upset about it. I for one find that
    part of the world simply awful. I'm sure there are exceptions to the overall scheme I just described but as Dr. Cox says in Scrubs "When you hear hoof beats, assume horses, not zebras". And that's why I'm on the contrary repulsed whenever hearing southern accent. Expand
  30. Jan 7, 2012
    i don't know what i must to say. This game so boring. This looks like WB wind the rating. Good music,good art. But gamplay so stupid. Where is the story? This is so stupid game.
  31. Sep 18, 2011
    The Good: - Some of the best and atmospheric musics out of any video games ever - Beautiful arts and graphics - Narrator-system increases immersion; or sometimes just cracks you up - Myriad of choices of weapons, secret skills, playing-styles, buildings to build, to make sure you're never bored - Original world and lore - One of the most memorable ending in an RPG The Bad - Takes quite a while to feel like a great game. The opening and initial hours felt mediocre
    - Even though art is beautiful, special effects that are too simplistic might shy some gamers away
    - Combat system a bit boring
  32. Jul 21, 2013
    Truly an awesome game, from the confusing but complex lore to the surprisingly exception soundtrack for an indie game. Most harp about the combat being boring, but try turning all the shrines on and you'll see how difficult and challenging the game can get.
  33. Jul 7, 2012
    Fluid and addicting game-play, great story with wonderful presentation, amazing graphics and style, awesome soundtrack, lots of innovative and great ideas. Simply put, this game is amazing.
  34. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is easily in my top 5 games for 2011. The gameplay, narration, and music are all brilliant. The game is absolutely beautiful and I think it proves that you don't need to push hardware to make a visually stunning game. It is such an enjoyable game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.
  35. Jan 3, 2012
    I keep trying to find words to describe this game, but it's so hard when it's so good... It has amazing gameplay, but I would say that the story is it's best trait. The narration, the atmosphere, and although I won't spoil anything, the story just keeps going strong throughout the entire game, building up, and finishing brilliantly. There are even weapon challenges beyond the main storyline which are insanely hard. I don't think I beat many of them at all, and I think I only fully completed one easy one. Expand
  36. Nov 17, 2011
    I liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It is still a game I recommend to every gamer who seeks something different now and then. Expand
  37. Aug 29, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. I'm honest. It's stunning how such a small developer team can deliver such an excellent game. It is more than a game, it's an experience you can't get out of the head. The gameplay, the visuals and the sound- especially the music- are amazing.

Buy this. If somebody told you to buy another game: Buy this first. Because no demo and no gameplay video can
    express how good this game is. Expand
  38. Dec 7, 2012
    The game is very fun, I didn't expect much of it. But after playing it, it grows on you & the music & narration are done so well. The choices at the end, are very good. I recommend this game to everyone who likes a good story & strong mechanics in gameplay.
  39. Aug 17, 2011
    Bastion is not one of a kind, but its of a genre of today that everyone loves. It join's up with Braid, Capsized and Limbo in the elite, handcrafted, polished and hand-painted 2D games of this generation. A unique aspect of this game is the highly detailed narration. It engages you like few games can, and adds a totally different look on the story. Immediately, it connects you with the main character giving you a portal into the character of his personal thoughts that you wouldn't otherwise have. It seamlessly creates a story book feel while at the same time it feels like you are writing the narrators lines before your eyes. Even if you find a path that isn't the main one, or you just spam buttons or sit there, the narrator will comment about it. The controls are very straightforward, with an easy-to-grasp tutorial at the beginning. The music is something stellar as well, and it brings you into the mood of the character. I gave it a 9/10 because there is not much replay-ability. The price could possibly be lowered $5 for this reason. That's the only flaw I have with this game.

Check the demo out on Steam!
  40. Feb 13, 2012
    An incredible game that is both mechanically satisfying, rewarding, fun, and innovative. The narration is fantastic, moments of the storytelling and music are genuinely emotional. One of the few indie games I give a full 10/10 to.
  41. Sep 6, 2011
    It's a great game. But it's a bit behind the times. The narration is the best aspect of the game as the weapons and dungeon crawling aspects are well worn and don't present much that we haven't seen before. Ultimately I put the game down after a few sit downs and never actually finished it, it just wasn't enough that it had an interesting story, the combat failed to keep me interested past the first few hours. Basically it all boils down to, 'If I wanted to read a book...'. I'm sure you know the rest. Expand
  42. Dec 9, 2011
    An amazing, original presentation but completely hollow gameplay that feels like it only gets in the way of the storytelling. Very disappointed, the game certainly had potential but unfortunately to me a game, however beautiful it is, just cannot be lacking a solid core gameplay and still be enjoyable.
  43. Nov 8, 2011
    Amazing game. Great voiceovers, fantastic artstyle, gripping gameplay and a SUPERB soundtrack (I really cant stress how amazing the OST is)

I'd like to say that it was too short, but... did I really want it to go any longer? Did I want it to drag out? No. It was the perfect length. My one complaint is how easy the first playthrough is. You don't unlock most the different totems for gods
    (Which act as difficulty adjusters) until you finish your game and start a NG+. A perfect game nonetheless, I hope we will be seeing more from this studio in the future. Expand
  44. Sep 11, 2011
    A compelling example of what happens when story and gameplay are correctly integrated. If you hold artistic pretensions for games, then you do not want to miss Bastion!
  45. Jan 10, 2012
    Looks very pretty graphically but the gameplay is very boring & repetitive. Music is absolutely horrible & the narrator voiceover is very annoying, dull & uninteresting. Its a very overated game & is average at best due to poor gameplay but the annoying music & voiceover make it one to demo before buying. After 5 hours you will have completed it & need a lot of stamina to return for more.

Shame as the graphics are cute & well drawn it reminds me a lot of Wonder Boy In Monsterland games from the 1980's.
  46. Sep 20, 2011
    This is an amazing game for such a small game. The design is such that you can play the game in small sittings, but the game is good enough so that you'll never want to. I spent about 12 hours one day and beat it. It's not very often I play a game that evokes that sense of wonder I had playing games as a child.
  47. Mar 28, 2012
    A fun game that stands apart from the crowd, and yet is easy to jump right into. If you're looking for a pleasant game to play for a couple days, Bastion is it.
  48. Apr 19, 2012
    At first the narrators voice and the art style seemed childish to me, but after an hour or two it starts to work and becomes great. At first the game play seems dull and rather easy, but after a couple hours it becomes awesome (use the shrine to make it harder). Also the music plays a much bigger and better role in this game than any other. If you like games that require some skill and that have a good linear story then you'll probably like this game. Just don't quit on it too early. Expand
  49. Jun 23, 2012
    This is one of the greatest games I've had the honor of playing in a very long time. The story, even though basic by itself, is engulfed with many themes and little details if you actually pay attention, which helps set up the mood and background of the world itself. The game actually has very little cutscenes actually, which is such a great pace changer compared every other game these days, and is told by a new and amazing voice actor, who already got another job for another indie game that recently came out (can't recall the name of it right now, but it's a point-and-click game where you control 4 character simultaneously). Yes, even though everything is told by this one narrator, he very much does accomplish this goal very well, I promise you.

The gameplay itself follows (the best way to put it) a Diablo-like style, however, you get plenty of weapons to actually mix and match around with, as well as skills accordingly (some skills you can choose by the weapons you equip). Instead of following a stat sheet, whenever you level up, you get to choose these drinks that help buff you up (10% crit. chance while at 100% health, etc). To also increase difficulty, there is a "shrine" in the game (first found on a level, then you can build later on in the Bastion), where you can make enemies difficult (in various ways) and you will benefit by an increase of money and experience. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a videogame, and it shouldn't be a surprise that half it's awards (it has plenty of awards fyi) is about it's soundtrack. Memorable songs, very sleek music, and the ending theme will help give you goosebumps and give the ending the mood it deserved. The sounds themselves are very good, nothing sounds (no pun intended) out of place or anything.

I can't essentially say much about the graphics 'itself', but the artstyle is definitely refreshing. Even though this game actually is a very bittersweet game, the artstyle does not hinder it at all. If there's one game that can prove that you DON'T need grimdark, brown'n'bloom graphics to set up a dark mood, it's Bastion.

To wrap things up, I'll give a quick talk about the ending (no essential spoilers). This is where the beauty comes in. You make two decisions (one right before the end and at the very end). And I can tell you: there really is no good/bad answer. The decisions you have to choose are right and wrong in their own ways, and this really leads back to themes I was talking about. I don't want to talk about it too much or else I might ruin the story and the mood for you (I tend to do that sadly), but it definitely should leave you questioning about your own real life decisions (especially if you're a teenager). Supergiant Games says they want you to feel like a kid again when playing their games. And they accomplished that with me. That is why I am giving this game a 10. I have yet to play a game that made me feel a kid again and they did it with this one. Yes, it is a grim game essentially, but the artstyle and music at times just makes you feel like you're playing one of those old games you use to play a lot when you were a kid. It's as simple as that. And with that, I will gladly give this game a 10/10. I am looking forward to Supergiant's next game, as I hope many of you are too.
  50. Oct 2, 2011
    Absolutely amazing action RPG. The controls are so tight, innovative gameplay and artstyle.
    The in-game challenges are a testiment to this, its a game you could pick up and play for fun or put alot of time and emotion into and get a really firm grasp of the mechanics. The story and narrater develops throughout the game. He explains the backstory and characters without the use of cutscenes.
    And the soundtrack is to die for; cant recommend this game enough. Expand
  51. Jan 11, 2012
    Great game with great music. Interesting story, interesting mechanic, some sort of hardcore. Best endind of 2011. But game very short, and didn't interesting to start game when you do all achievements.
  52. Oct 29, 2011
    Cannot stress enough how good this game is.
    Awesome Music
    Awesome Narration and Story
    Really Amazing game and you don't know it all until you complete all the dreams and finish the game at least twice.
  53. Sep 18, 2011
    Very charming visuals and story; fun upgrade system. The combat is fun, but repetitive after a while. The narrator's voice adds a lot to this game. Worth playing just to listen to him talk :D
  54. Nov 1, 2011
    Bastion borders on self-parody. I have never come across a game that is so steeped in its own "meaningfulness" and style while having so little substance. The narrator spouts vague descriptions and prophecies in a faux-homey manner as the ground builds around you as you move through each level (oh how symbolic! Err...) It is gimmicky and short...but enjoyable. Overall, the game seems disingenuous and doesn't have enough content nor a satisfying ending. The whole time you're playing, you're waiting for the game to live up to the art direction, the narrator, the music, and the critics' ratings. But it never does. The game is over fast and easy (I died only once.) It's a precious little enjoyable game, but the overwrought style gets irritating and laughable at times. Expand
  55. Aug 28, 2011
    Game is awesome, Narrative is the best part. Story kept me trying to figure out exactly what happened constantly. Combat is fun with the many different weapons to use. plenty of strategies to choose from, special abilities and so on. Great length, I was expecting much shorter, but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't not think a game of this type could last that long without becoming a chore, but It was really great to the end.

I would only add one thing, optional missions. and not just those proving grounds ones, some optional missions to earn resources. Playing the same Reflections got a bit tedious. Also, leveling up took a bit too much time, but then i suppose it would have been too easy.
  56. Nov 24, 2011
    Narration is amazing, the game play is amazing, the graphic style is great. Really the only problem I have with the game is that some of the more fun weapons are just damn near impossible to properly use when you start utilizing the shrines on later stages.
  57. Nov 5, 2011
    I can see why people like this game, but I just couldn't enjoy it. The biggest problem for me was the disparity between the solemn and gritty narrator and the joyful and colorful visuals. The narrator is very similar to the one in Fallout and supposedly in Bastion's world some sort of apocalypse has happened too, though you couldn't tell that from the way it looks. Another big problem is that the game is way too easy. Fall off the platform? - no problem you can go on from the same point. Die? - you can continue one or more times. Removing any challenge makes winning the game an inevitability and consequently any feeling of achievement and satisfaction is gone. On the positive side - everything in the game is polished, the game mechanics are sound and combat is fast and responsive. If you like the art style and the cryptic narrative going in the background, you'll probably enjoy this game. Expand
  58. Sep 2, 2011
    Out of all the downloadable games that you can purchase from Steam, I give this game top marks.
    I'm pretty sure anybody can pick up on the mechanics of playing this title. The tough part will be putting it down.
    This is a fun and fantastic game. No complaints whatsoever.
    I would recommend buying a wired XBOX360 controller to play on PC, though. The keyboard and or mouse configuration
    won't be for everyone. Expand
  59. Nov 13, 2011
    Visually creative and lush, Bastion is a throwback to the classic story-driven action RPGs. It's inventive and action-packed with an interesting and engaging story that keeps you guessing from beginning to end. The gameplay elements aren't original but they work well here except in some instances where a mouse might work better than a controller. It could use some new advances in the control department but if you're a true gamer then you should be to handle it. Plush, atmospheric music and charming narration adds to the fantastic environments. Expand
  60. Oct 3, 2011
    This game either has a cult following or the developers are squashing all the negative reviews and beefing up the positives. That said, nothing about this game is really that fun. It's fun listening to the narrator, but I got incredibly bored after 20 minutes of play and really just wanted my $15 back. After an hour I removed it from steam. It doesn't suck and the game is a somewhat an interesting hybrid, but there is just nothing compelling to make you want to explore more, play more, or achieve... anything! It's just a game with very little diversity in enemies, story, or art. It just kind of yammers on at it's own pace. I love achieving all the goals in games like MarioWorld Galaxy, and playing through top down RPGs.. This just seems to have jumbled the two genre's together haphazardly. Save the cash for better indie titles. Expand
  61. Apr 1, 2013
    Bastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diablo hack and slash with some customization and upgrade options. But really this game isn't about the gameplay, it's about the story. And this game does what it's supposed to do VERY well. Expand
  62. Aug 23, 2011
    Bastion is an exceptionally fun and memorable Indy action adventure with some heart and soul. The game layout and pacing are good, always allowing players to get back into the action with little slowdown. The way the story unfolds with a commentator commentating on events and the players actions is original and provides some good context to the story. There even are some nice touching moments in the story and atmosphere which may start to pull the emotion strings a little. The graphics and music are very good featuring a nice art style with an original mix of western and anime. The weapons and game play are very fun and its great to have challenges that give the player the chance to get good at all weapons while being rewarded. The game makers of Bastion were really on to something but I cant help but feel that while the story is good, given its potential it could have done more and been truly great and awesome. I also feel that more could have been further done with the emotion felt by the events of the story but how much more can we expect from a small Indy developer? Recommend. Expand
  63. Jan 10, 2012
    cool game, great fun to play the weapons and loads of upgrades keeps things fresh. the mortor is pure sex! love all the characters and the slow introduction of them. Music is very very nice and whislt the narrator an kinda get a bit too much at times it is nice that the game has that and does keep things interesting.
  64. May 8, 2012
    Bastion is one of my favorite indie games of all time. The story is compelling, and after just a few minutes of gameplay I instantly began to care what happened to the world and its inhabitants. The narrator, as a mechanic and as a method of storytelling, probably has a part in this but I can't quite figure out why.
    There is plenty of variety in enemies as well, and while many complain
    about the simplistic combat, I feel they are exaggerating quite a bit. That's not to say it doesn't have its problems (which I will get to later), just that it isn't quite as bad as they make it sound.
    The art is beautiful, and I especially like the half-steampunk, half-fantasy aesthetic. Though I'll admit it's probably because it reminds me of Miyazaki's works (Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, etc.) .

Of course, while I personally like the game, it does have a few problems. On mouse and keyboard, you only have 8 walking directions and it is very hard to aim ranged weapons at small enemies. The latter is caused by the dashed line extending from your character to the cursor not lining up with the hit-box when it is lined up with the model, and vice versa.When I switched to a gamepad, so that I could have a bit more control of the movement, I was slightly disappointed by the auto-aim system. I would have infinitely preferred a dual-stick (left stick to move, right stick to aim) configuration.

Despite all this, however, I still feel that this is a game worth playing, especially at the cost of only $15. Even if you, like myself, find it slightly disappointing mechanically, the excellent story and artwork far outweigh such drawbacks.
  65. Sep 23, 2011
    Beautiful 2D graphics, great gameplay, incredible soundtrack... This game is a nice surprise for anybody looking for something fresh and easy to play. Bastion is an action RPG with some innovative points. The most important is the voice of a narrator telling the story as you advance in the game. It is a great tool that invites to keep playing in order to find out new details about the Kid and the Calamity. The game is structured in different areas that are dynamically built as the player moves. They are generally short, so they are perfect if you just want to play for a while after a hard day of work. As a consequence, Bastion is not very long (it took me 8 hours), but in my opinion it has the right length for its prize. There is a wide range of weapons available. They are given to the player as new areas are finished, and allow for different combat styles (ranged, melee or a combination of both). There is also a counter system in order to give back some damage if the corresponding key is pressed at the precise moment.

I think Bastion will be specially enjoyed by all those who played 2D action RPGs during the 16-bit console generation. It is like a look into the gameplay of the past with an updated technology... And it works!
  66. Aug 23, 2011
    I can't remember the last time I enjoyed literally everything about a game. The game play is just absolutely brilliant . No matter what you do in the game you will enjoy it. From the customisations of your weapons down to unlocking new challenges. And every weapon feels unique and rewarding. You are pretty much guarenteed to fall in love with at least one weapon.
    To top it off not only is
    the gameplay giving you more than enough reason to continue playing, but the beautiful story and the way it is narrated makes you want to find out what's going to happen next. And as an added bonus the music and the art style is so beautiful. I can't begin to find the words to describe it. I literally just finished the game but I can't wait to have another go with added difficulty.
    Bastion is the SuperGiant Games's first game. Let me just quote something they have on their site: "To make games that spark your imagination like the games you played as a kid." And with that Price tag? You better get it!
  67. Dec 29, 2013
    This was by far the most impressive indie game I have ever played, as well as one of my favorite games in general. The game's incredibly beautiful. The narrator is amazing, his implementation into the game really makes this game amazing. Narration in games is usually just some extra spice but Bastion wouldn't be Bastion without it, the narration is what makes this game.
  68. Nov 11, 2012
    Lovely art-work, innovative music, addictive voice over of the main narrator. The gameplay is your usual walkie-slashy type - with XP and money gain (level up and upgrade your weaponry). It is really the smoothness of the play, cool dynamic graphics, and constant commentary of your actions by the narrator of the story (real-time) that set this game apart from all others. Highly recommend. (Hated the jump puzzle by the way :) Expand
  69. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is awesome, a great new angle on an old idea. I enjoyed the customizable difficulty, weapons and spirits, I played this game through twice, once on the new game and once on new game plus. I have two complaints on the game, the combat felt a bit repetitive at times and I just wanted the area to be done so I could hear the rest of the story, it was however good enough that I went through twice so it's not a huge complaint. The second is the challenges for each weapon, some were so easy I could pass them with no weapon upgrades at all and others were so hard I could hardly pass them with all weapon upgrades with different combination's. I don't care if they are easy or super hard, I'd just like to see some consistency between them Expand
  70. Aug 16, 2011
    The game is ok, combat can be fun and not too simplified, tons of destructible environment is also a plus. What i didn't like was annoying "off-screen" voice and price. 14 bucks could be fair price if Bastion had multiplayer and/or was replay-able, but as soon as you complete the main story you will never play this game again.
  71. Aug 24, 2011
    A product of good design and excellent creative direction. Its gameplay is fantastic, and the story, visual style, and soundtrack all work perfectly with it.
  72. Nov 9, 2011
    Bastion is a great game. Perhaps the best game I have ever played. The story not only sucks you in; you come to care about the characters and their shattered world. The controls are tight, the graphics, though stylized, are beautiful. And the world builds itself around you as you go in a way you must see to believe....and then....then there is the narrator. He responds to your actions, fills you in on the story and is a constant companion. The voice acting is spectacular - on par with major motion pictures, and the writing is spot on as well. The world, music, combat, graphics...the game has no flaws and this from a guy who looks for flaws in his games. If you love RPG's with a great story, character development, balance and weapon and item upgrades, you owe it to yourself to play Bastion. Expand
  73. Oct 29, 2011
    Overall I believe this game stylistically and gameplay hide behind an extremely poor gimmick being the narration and when this realization happens is when I stopped having fun. Many people at this point would have stopped playing at this point however I am one never to waste an investment of time and money and I continued on hoping for something better; but it never came. If you look at his game without the hype and supposedly the deeper meaning or how artsy and different they're trying to be, you see that it make for a very boring game (in my opinion). Expand
  74. Aug 16, 2011
    I want to start out with the only negative thing I have found about the game thus far. The game doesn't seem to recognize just any gamepad within the options menu. Only xbox controllers are compatible it appears, I'am using a Logitech dual action controller. I figured this is something that will get fixed in a patch later on. Now on with the review, I have to start off by saying from the opening story that this game rocks serious butt. The simple interface/engine is very unique and immersive from the start, the narrator is simply awesome, extremely funny and very much adds to the cool atmosphere. I think the soundtrack is the best in the business acrossed all platforms against any game, the learning curve is beautiful and this is the best indie game period to date. If you wonder if the $15 price tag is way too much for this game you need your gaming head examined, the price is too cheap and the game is not super long but perfect for the enjoyment you will recieve. Replay value is way up with this game as well so listen on steam you have access to the demo of the game go grab and get hooked, then purchase and start achieving the glow baby! 10 out of 10! Expand
  75. Jun 2, 2012
    Beautiful art and soundtrack, clever storytelling via the mysterious narrator, an interesting and legitimately moving storyline that unravels as you play and the some of the most innovative and entertaining gameplay I have ever experienced. The ending of the game made me feel so many different emotions, the most of which sorrow, for being finished with the game. A must-have.
  76. wr2
    Aug 21, 2011
    Simply put, Bastion is one of the most inspiring, deep and meaningful games in years. It's all about storytelling and it has a story you will listen to the end, believe me or not. And when the story completely blows you away... well, may be then you finally stop moaning about your precious fifteen bucks? Fortunately, still there are games not measured in hours of gameplay per cent, but as a whole breathtaking experience, and Bastion is one of them. Expand
  77. Aug 21, 2011
    This game is one of the rare gems, with high production values expecting from expensive games, this game has enthralled me to play from beginning to end and then again. Giving it that replay feeling that you just want to play more and more. From the story telling to the great way of upgrading and variety of weapons and the cool way of the level appearing from nowhere, this is definitely worth the $15 you will not be disappointed. Expand
  78. Aug 22, 2011
    after playing this game for four hours straight i felt i had to write a review about it. This game is probably one of the best games that i have played in a long long time... don't let its art and cartoony looks fool you, there is some very serious story telling in this game. The narrator (Rucks, a main charactor in the game) shows you to the refuge of bastion after a calamity happened and wiped out most of your people ( and the enemies people, the Ura). You have to build this refuge by collecting these blue large shards and bring the bastion into full restoration mode. This game has my full attention and it is not a game you take lightly. There is plenty of action and it is strictly storylined base so i suggest you buy it...hell if i know you well enough i'll pay half of it for you...

Don't be skeptical...this game should have a 30 dollar price tag on it
  79. Aug 22, 2011
    This game is just stylish! Lot of way to customize your character can makes every run different and never boring. The game is fast, the story (very intriguing) is narrated in 3rd person while u play = no dead times that breaks the action!
    Add a terrific soundtrack and a very low price (13 euros on steam) and u'll have a masterpiace!
  80. Aug 27, 2011
    I purchased this game due to being overly bored, and was surprised how much fun it was. The narrative is just awesome. The gameplay is also very nice. You can upgrade your town and your weapons, and finding stuff to upgrade is really fun. Choosing special abilities and perks for your characters and offering many different ways level different through bonus's and challenges you unlock in the game. Extremely fun, one of the best 15 bucks i have ever spent. Expand
  81. Aug 28, 2011
    Pure perfection. Truly great artwork, a fantastic soundtrack, fun gameplay with solid mechanics, scaleable difficulty, a great story, a wonderful narrator. Bastion is Game of the Year 2011 without a doubt and probably the best single player game I've played in the last decade or more. Buy this game immediately.
  82. Sep 2, 2011
    Great visuals, amazing sound and narrative. Maybe a little too short - I've completed it in 3 hours, you can extend that time to 5-6 hours with the 'New game+" mode, but still - I've expected at least 7-8 hours for the first playthrough.
  83. Sep 2, 2011
    This game is fantastic. The art, music, story and combat are all fantastic. It's going to be a game I return to year after year. It's simply a blast to play, and it doesn't get old. I played it through multiple times to the end. I played on both 360 and PC, both are fantastic. The PC version of course looks much better at full 1080. Great game, can't recommend it enough. It'll look great in your Steam Library Expand
  84. Sep 2, 2011
    Obviously someone is being ridiculous and purposely sabotaging the user score. This game is a Game of the Year contender and absolutely phenomenal. Ignore the overall user rating and go by actual reviews and critic reviews. Well worth the money!
  85. Sep 2, 2011
    The game is fantastic. The artwork reminded me of Disgea, but this was it's own beast. If you have an extra 15 bucks, or even if you dont, buy this game.
  86. Nov 1, 2011
    It's an excellent game - this is the one you call - job well done, i.e. someone has really put one's heart into it. I'd be repetitive if I'd praise the graphics, the story, the sound etc. It's just a well balanced game with a lot of lasting appeal.
    If the developers of this gem are thinking about the sequel/or just another title, I would definitely put multi-player/co-op into the equation.
  87. Sep 2, 2011
    The possible things I want to say for this game can -not- be placed into 5000 words alone. And because I'd much rather go play new game plus for the third time, I'm not going to prove my point! The gameplay is simplistic, yet fast paced, enough to keep the adrenaline pumping and forcing you to be quick. And, if you find it too easy, you can always evoke the gods (via a shrine) to increase the difficulty in ways that add regeneration to them, or damage, or speed. Things like that. The story... That is what kept me going so strong. The voice of the narrator (Logan Cunningham) is utterly brilliant. My first thought was I'd be afraid of listening to the man talk about everything I did but.. I began doing things for the sole purpose of finding out -if- he would say something. And most of the time, he did. The music is utterly amazing as well. I've listened to the soundtrack so many times on their webpage, but haven't had the ability to buy it yet. It's a unique list of songs, and all go amazingly with the game itself. There are some powerful and emotional moments in this game. Moments you will probably never forget, and I give it a 10/10 for the fact that I've played through it twice so far, and it's still holding me to it. Supergiant games has made a masterpiece with its first creation. Makes me wonder what they'll make next. Expand
  88. Sep 2, 2011
    The art is great. The music is good, and beyond awesome in a few places. The narration is partly a neat gimmick, talking about what you do as you do it, but it's also very effective in serving up the story and back-story while allowing you to keep beating up enemies. The narrator's voice acting is perfect. Combat is good, with dodge, block, and counter mechanics. I expected it to play like Diablo or Torchlight due to the top-down view, but it feels more like God of War or Bayonetta (minus combos). The RPG and customization elements are well done, giving numerous play-style possibilities without being overwhelming. You can switch your choices around enough that you won't feel like you're stuck with bad decisions forever - once you have everything, all options are available. When discussing the game with other players, its great to see how everyone has their own personal preferences for weapon combinations and upgrades - almost every combination is both viable AND unique. In addition to giving plenty of options for how you want to beat up the baddies, one of my favorite features of the game is the ability to dynamically buff the enemies for greater challenge and greater reward, reminiscent of the difficulty settings in The World Ends With You. Instead of just increasing the enemy health and damage, there are 10 different options available that you can mix and match, such as faster enemy movement, enemy health regeneration, and enemies drop bombs when defeated. While the game is mostly linear, the story is good and made better by how it's delivered. The game is neither too short nor too long. After completing the story, you can carry your items, level, and upgrades over to New Game Plus, which you'll need to do in order to fully upgrade everything and access the hardest difficulty settings. With the extra weaponry and difficulty options available the second time through, it doesn't even feel repetitive. My total time played is about 23 hours for two play-throughs and 20/20 achievements. I recommend using a gamepad, but mouse+keyboard is perfectly playable, and even better for some weapons. In summary, Bastion is a game that does almost everything well. If you have any doubts, check out the free demo on Steam. Expand
  89. Jun 7, 2012
    The game is amazing and very original. It has a great story that I feel could make a great movie with. The game has yet to disappoint me. The price is very reasonable too, its $15 bucks for an amazing story, great music, wonderful narration, and around 10 - 15 hours of game play. You will not be disappointed if you're into a game that has narration with a touching story.
  90. Sep 2, 2011
    Game is absolutely amazing! History, atmosphere and graphics are far better than in other big non-indie games. Game is definitely worth giving it a shot and there is a demo available. Hope you'll enjoy it
  91. Sep 2, 2011
    I am usually not into indie games. I support them merely because I believe they are good for the industry. Usually I buy them and they just sit their on my computer after a short play. But this game really hooked me in from the beginning, it's story is melancholic yet hopeful, it's art style is reminiscent of Korean cartoons that I've watched and the game play is pretty entertaining. The one standout feature of this game is the soundtrack which is head and shoulders above any game soundtrack I've heard. Unlike most games which have just a generic "epic" music score, this game's soundtrack is varied, very interesting and blends many music styles together.

Altogether, it's a great game. Should be worth more than the $15 I paid for it.
  92. Sep 3, 2011
    A seemingly traditional foundation hides an adorable game with both heart and brains. From start to finish I found my self smashing through scumbags and the like with a joy I haven't experienced in games in a long time. The game-play is both solid and intuitive, but the meat of the experience lies in its presentation: the rebuilding world and its witty and grim narrator. This is what makes this game so hard to put down. The story is presented and played out in such a beautiful and fun way that I can't recall any other game this year - Tactics Ogre aside - that it this well. It may not be my GOTY (Tactics Ogre will probably snatch that one), but it very well could be. Expand
  93. Sep 3, 2011
    Wow, that was amazing. I just played it through and the ending was brilliant and touching. I just tried to write a proper review six times, but every time I write something, I feel like I'm giving away to much of the experience. Simply put: If you like a hack&slack adventure rpg with brilliantly differentiated weapons, nice storytelling, brilliant and touching end (at least for me), brilliant soundtrack and nice controls (use the 360 controller, its way better than mouse + keyboard) in a 6+ hours single player experience - then go and grab the game and give it an awesome rating, because that will be the best 14 bucks to spend on a game this summer :) Expand
  94. Sep 3, 2011
    A work of art and if you play it that is what you should be expecting. Game play wise it doesn't do much new, but what it does do it does well. Mechanically it is a strong action RPG with a few nice touches such as a decent selection of varied weapons all of which are fully upgradable, the ability to pick your own difficulty by worshiping certain gods, a home base which can be upgraded throughout the course of the game, and a spirit (drink not ectoplasm) based system which lets you tailor the main character to your own tastes. The game itself is focused almost completely on having you fight through levels and upgrade various things so you can fight through more levels, while this might sound boring to some the constant stream of upgrades keep it fresh as you unlock new weapons and abilities which keeps you wondering what the next reward will be. As stated previously though if you play this game from a purely mechanical view point you will be disappointed, in fact if you can't appreciate anything but the core mechanics of a game knock about 2 or 3 points off of the score now, while they are strong enough that the game aspect never feels boring they are by no means revolutionary. Where this game shines is the presentation, everything from the narration and story, to the art and music is completely top notch and experiencing more of it is what really drove the game forward for me. All of the levels appear to be hand painted affairs which rival the art in games such as Braid and Capsized, they consist of parts of a once prosperous but now shattered floating city, the parts of which literally fall into place as you explore the landscape, an effect which doesn't seem to get old. As you explore the levels the narrator, a husky sounding southern gentleman, explains what you are seeing and how the word used to be, occasionally commenting upon your own actions which really brings you into the game, and I spent a good while trying out different things (such as purposely throwing myself off of a platform) just to see how he would respond. The music is brilliant as well, generally very western sounding (as in wild west) mixed with more contemporary beats and occasionally an almost bangra flavor, the stand out tracks for me though were they 3(ish) songs which sound beautiful and are also very relevant to the characters and their stories. The story itself was good enough to make me invest in the characters and the world and had enough subtle twists that I found it genuinely interesting and cared about how the characters would be effected by the unfolding events.

There were only two things which really bugged me, the first was the 3D models of the main character and the enemies, though adequate I felt they stood out like sore thumb against the beautiful backdrops of the broken world, and the second was the ease with which you could fall of platforms in some situations, however as the game is quite forgiving this wasn't really a massive problem.

Overall if your eyes and ears work and you can enjoy a game based on its being beautiful as well as being a good game mechanically then this one is definitely for you.
  95. Sep 3, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful game. Highly recommended it, such a beautiful storyline. The narrator is amazing and it's truly an experience I'll never forget.
  96. Sep 3, 2011
    This should be mandatory material for anyone who considers themself a gamer. I haven't played such an interesting and engrossing game in years. Possibly my Game of the Decade right here. I'm not kidding when I say that this game legitimizes that gaming can be an art form.
  97. Sep 4, 2011
    After hearing many almost perfect reviews from sources I trust to be close to the mark (Edge, IGN etc) I had to see what the fuss was about, and I am SO glad I did! From start to finish this game is genius, from the gorgeous world that springs to life around you, to the customisation options to suit your playstyle, and of course the story and narration which drags you in and pushes you on for "just one more level". I cannot recommend this game enough, and I l really look forward to what comes next from Supergiant Games. Expand
  98. Sep 3, 2011
    Bastion is an awesome game. It has a good story, which is made even better by the way it's told. There are no cutscenes or discussions, because everything happens while you are fighting your way through the stages.

The graphics are top-notch, hand-drawn 2D goodness and animations are perfect. On top of all these goodies, the gameplay delivers as well. The gameplay is solid and easy to
    learn, but it might get a bit repetitive if you don't change your weapons that often.

Bastion isn't without downsides. It has a few very annoying features like the fact that you can't replay stages/challenges once you have completed them. You are also forced to lose one of your weapon when you find a new one in the stages, because the new weapon replaces one of the old ones. The game is quite short also, about 6-10 hours depending how well you want to search the places. Replayability is average even with the newgame+.

To sum it up: Bastion is a game with a solid gameplay and an excellent groundbreaking storytelling-element, which I'm sure will be copied in the future. If you like Zeldas, secret of mana or other "old-schoolish-RPGs", be sure to try this one out!
  99. Sep 3, 2011
    This game is completely mind-blowing. 10 out of 10 for story, graphics, and dialog; 9 out of 10 for combat; and an overwhelmingly beautiful soundtrack make this the best indie game I have ever played, period. Do yourself a favor and try it out.
  100. Sep 4, 2011
    Completely game of the year material, I'm not one for indie games (especially hack and slash games) but this was a gift from a friend trying to get me away from the usual games I play (tf2, css, cod). From the very start, the narrator draws you into the story giving the most immersible game since metro 2033 and penumbra, even without top end graphics. I'm not too much for words like the narrator of this game, but if your parents ever read you a story buy this game. If you enjoyed castle crashers, buy this game. Expand

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.