7.4

1. Oct 25, 2011
    Look, I know this is a multiplayer game. I do. I understand that the singleplayer is little more than an extended tutorial. Did an hour of multiplayer and it was really great. But you put the crappy singleplayer in there as well, so I'm damn well going to address it. It sucks. I mean really, the lack of effort is glaring. Let's start with story. Ok, so we all know the story this entire genre of games has. Story. Singular. The only thing that ever changes is if it's nazis, russians or terrorists. What's even worse is, it's told as a flashback within a retrospective. This method is not avanguard. It's not clever. It's not artistic. It's a bad idea, and it always was. Now, remember how in Bad Company 2 you usually had multiple avenues of approach? You could take the buildings on either side of the street just go for a frontal assault or clear that sawmill in any sequence you wanted, or in the desert mission pick which part to do first? Yeah, Bad Company 2 was linear. But it made an effort to pretend it wasn't. This game? Corridor shooter. I mean quite literally. I tried flanking constantly, every single time I was told "Leaving battlefield" and given a timer. Every time. The game is a sequence of corridors leading to slightly larger shooting galleries in which you're given no option how to approach the situation. You do it exactly in the one place the designer meant you to and that's. Then, enemies. Oh God this part is terrible. The enemies are inexcusable. First of all, all the terrorists are one guy. No, seriously. Every last one of them. The same model. Exactly the same. No difference. In two shooting galleries one after the other I stood crouched next to their spawn point and for a full minute each it went like this: Two identical clones enter. I shoot them both. Reload. Two identical clones enter. Repeat. This for a full minute each time. And most of the game is like this. So yeah, I'm sorry but if you didn't want people to judge this game on the singleplayer you should have stuck with the multiplayer, which is actually really good btw. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2011
    What could have been a great game seriously let down by the developers. Multiple issues that were reported from the alpha through the beta by many still exist. With bugs and glitches that were also not present previously. It honestly feels like a half finished game. Things that they should have known people hated from bf:bc2 completely ignored.
    The lack of basic things, no team balance, no
    option to select the squad you want. half complete features, for example commorose, missing simple things like requesting ammo or health, but even the options there can't be heard by your team so it is pointless.
    Game isn't built to be a battlefield any more, took too many ideas from cod. Now its suck in the middle doing a worse job then both and nothing better then either.
    That's just the MP, the SP is linear, boring and so heavily scripted, you can't do anything the game doesn't want.
    A hefty patch is the only thing that will fix this, thoroughly underwhelming and a massive disappointment.
  3. Feb 13, 2012
    To me, as a Battlefield veteran, this isn't even a video game. If you look at any past game and compare it to BF3, you keep discovering the same statement over and over; there's nothing new. All BF3 does is remove features from older titles. BF3 doesn't have commanders, commander assets, large maps with more than 7 cap points, a more intricate squad command structure, more diversified classes, decent server tools, objective based gameplay, fucntional commorose, and options for veterans to play as we have been since 2002. As this is an objective review, opinions on decisions such as health regeneration, sound spotting, 4 player squads, etc are all irrelevant. What has BF3 contributed to Battlefield as a whole? There is nothing new about this game, just stripped down gameplay to appeal to console players and casuals alike. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    If you were expecting a classic great menu system for the game good luck because there isn't one and the real disappointing thing about BF3 is you are forced to run the game through EA's Origin - Not standalone and not through STEAM - EA really dropped the ball on forcing all of its customers to run this through a beta version of a E-Game hosting service... Not to mention the menu-system for the game is all based online which makes you feel like you really got ripped off because it looks cheap trust me the only thing nice about it is Battlelog which is kinda cool but it's EA's way of saying here run Origin or Don't play the game.

This is an OK game as it sits for the time being but yet it deserves a 40% rating due to several issues right now - First being that EA has released a game that has many graphical, gameplay, multiplayer, map, vehicle issues for instance green-flickers and being able to glitch through maps on multiplayer its nowhere near as smooth as it was shown in the previews that im sure everyone has seen. Granted it is a new game but the vehicle issues and the unrealistic nature of Battlefield 3 due to vehicles not producing realistic amounts of destruction and damage really hurt this titles reputation.

To best describe Battlefield 3 would be a cross between Homefront and Modern Warfare 2 - Homefront being due to the graphical and sketchy gameplay and Modern Warfare 2 due to BF3 trying to cut in on some profits from MW3 which currently sits at a total loss to people who have bought this game (and yes I bought the limited edition BF3). I bought 2x EVGA GTX-580 SC cards specifically for this game and yet the texture draws and polished look this game should have isn't there and not to mention the annoying lag on multiplayer games that are supposedly low-ping.

It has potential to be an awesome game but as it sits currently I wouldn't invest in it until it at least drops $20-30 or they fix hundreds of bugs and errors. Well that's all I have to say hope you found this somewhat useful.
  5. Oct 25, 2011
    This is not a Battlefield game. This is COD on a nicer engine, with better maps. If you like COD, you'll love this, but all die hard BF fans will get bored quickly as the lack of gameplay and focus on personal gain and unlocks clowds your vision.
  6. Oct 26, 2011
    This game is sadly very terrible, despite all the hype it had been receiving. The campaign is short and unsatisfying, but then, the campaign have never been an important part of Battlefield. This might have been okay if the multiplayer was any good. The multiplayer is unbalanced and already there are several hacks for the PC version. Before unlocking flares or missiles, your jet has to be shot down again and again. Defenders in Rush have a massive advantage. UMP overpowered still. In close-quarters snipers are also overpowered. RPGs also OP. Massive glitches and server problems despite beta testing. The destruction was barely improved. Graphics difference from BC2 was about from Halo 3 to ODST. It felt like the game could have been like Vietnam (an expansion pack for BC2), had it not have had a single player and co-op. The teamwork is horrible. I'm not sure if it is right to blame DICE, though, because teamwork is based on the players instead of the game. The developer can only encourage/discourage it. And I feel like it was discouraged (from BC2 anyway). Battlelog a massive annoyance. It has many problems (for example half the time I can't even join a game). The game crashes/freezes once in 15 minutes. Be advised that I have an all-purpose entertainment computer that should be able to run the game without any problems according to the minimum requirements. Being a Battlefield fan all the way back from 1942, I am massively disappointed. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    This is a perfect example of a good franchise made casual. I was a big fan of the battlefield series. starting from battlefield 1942. It is clear EA has a tight grip on DICE. A month after release I might had given this a 8/10. Fanboyism makes blind. But after a while I started realizing they have made the franchise utter sh*t by simplifying the game they obviously attracted a new user base. and by that I mean a bunch of casual COD kiddies. This doesn't Make anything better. I DICE even still had some of it's PC fanbase after battlefield: Bad Company. they have certainly lost it now. Also with EA's glorious DLC plan they have certainly stept in COD's footsteps. $15 for a couple of maps. With BC2 vietnam DLC they actually gave us a whole new experience. But the (upcomming) DLC's from BF3 are just ridiculous... It could have been in the original game. But no the allmighty EA had decided otherwise. DICE has literally sold their soul to EA. Lastly the Premium. as if the franchise hadn't copied enough of COD allready, EA wanted their own "Elite" service. It contains all the DLC that's going to be available, Ok that's pretty nice. But then they also have queue jumping. premiums get priority in queues over non premiums. So many knives in our backs, I can't keep track of it. I've literally waited a half hour in a queue to get on my favorite server because I got pushed back the whole time by premiums. This is just so mean to everybody who bought the game. And wait there is more! double xp weeks!! (have I said casual allready?) . everything that Battlefield once was, is now lost. the franchise might have 2 more succesfull titles with their new fanbase. But then it's over. EA will throw DICE in the garbage bin, just like they did with Pandemic. Expand
  8. Oct 26, 2011
    I might give the game another chance some day if it ever goes on steam, but the fact you HAVE to use EA's Origin is simply not worth it, I've had nothing but bad experiences with it since its launch day, how are EA doing digital distribution so wrong? I'd give the game a 6 or 7 out of 10 if it didn't require Origin, being honest I think the game is over-hyped and is an incredibly average shooter.
  9. Oct 25, 2011
    After installing Origin and waiting for 1st day patches to fiinish downloading then updating my nVidea drivers I was already fairly negative, but I thought hey, all that hype, all those pretty trailers, should be worth it in the end. right? Single Player is mixture between dull and tedious, Multiplayer is buggy and some essential features missing. I'd like to say I'd try it again in a few months after 2 gig's worth of patches has been released, but I'm uninstalling it till then just to get rid of this spyware know as Origin. Expand
  10. Oct 25, 2011
    It's a team based, squad focused, tactical shooter. The year of its release is 2011. It's on the platform that invented online multiplayer and pioneered real time voice chat. And you can't talk to your squad.

How are you supposed to work as a team when you can't communicate?

It's quite a shame really. The graphics are amazing, the gunplay feels good, the maps and objectives seem like
    they could be fun. I'd probably rate the game an 8 or higher if it had this absolutely essential feature. But without communication, I might as well be playing a single player game with bots. I'm deeply disappointed. Expand
  11. Oct 25, 2011
    The single player is HORRIBLE! It is like they didn't even work on it. Graphics don't look good at all even when set at ULTRA and the polygon counts are really low. The "scriptedness" couldn't be worse. And I thought MW2 was bad!
  12. Oct 25, 2011
    Let me preface this by saying that the multiplayer (which is why people buy battlefield games) is amazing. It's better in every way than it's predecessors. The graphics are phenomenal and it runs quite well on a modern PC. The controls are tight, responsive, and make sense. Granted the singleplayer leaves a lot to be desired but, then again, this is a battlefield game. You have to expect sub-par single-player experiences in battlefield games. Why did I give this game a 3 after praising it so highly? Origin. Origin is probably the worst idea to ever come out of the cesspool of bad ideas called EA. It's laggy. It's buggy. It's slow. It crashes more than RAGE did on an ATI card at launch. It's in no way, shape, or form user friendly. It records and sends entirely too much personal information to EA. Worst of all: all EA games released on the PC from this point will only be available on this utter pile of garbage. Sorry DICE, you've lost a long time customer by agreeing to use this sorry excuse for an "online platform." Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2011
    After a few hours of playing it is really obvious that this is a bad company game.

large maps, killed by small boundries clustered flag positions poor vehicle balance no public server files no mod tools more focus on graphics and unlocks, not core gameplay.
  14. Oct 26, 2011
    Poor game and not anything like BF2, on PC it's a console port in gameplay terms, no in game ping, no in game VOIP, crap aircraft mechanics, crap squad management where you can't create a squad without going through some **** commo-rose is a joke, maps are a joke with clustered flags, it's like playing COD on a big map. Aircraft/ vehicle controls are shockingly bad and feel like they just imported the xbox 360 system. On top of that there are way to many bugs to list, poor hit reg because of the broken ass netcode that lets cheats rule the server because of the client side hit detection. In summary BF3 is nothing more than Bad Company 2.5 but not as fun as even BC2 and not a patch on BF2. Fans of BF2/2142 stay away, find something enjoyable to play, leave this **** to the COD generation, those that appreciate teamplay and proper vehicle combat on proper big maps will have to look elsewhere. Expand
  15. Oct 26, 2011
    This is not a true sequel to bf2 at all Lack of teamwork Small map Squad management broken Common rose is garbage and broken No VoIP Battle log is **** Origin is **** Vehicles were underpowered Jets are slow and always die by stingers Stingers weapon is overpowered and stupid Motar is overpowered and seriously ???? Unlimited weapons Horrible net code Scope glint Contrast are way to high....

Horrible game and should not name "battlefield 3" because it's not a true sequel to bf2

Largest map my ass...
  16. Feb 20, 2012
    The player drop off on this game is saying something. I hadn't played in a month until today. EA sent out a questionnaire asking people why they quit playing. Their questions didn't have the option for 1. The game wasn't what I expected 2. Lack of communication with the player community and patches to fix bugs 3. Bad netcode. Instead, they had 1. The game is too easy 2. The game is too hard
    3. I want more DLC

Based on the upcoming patch, I think most people selected #2. Watering the game down more.

I expected so much out of this game, but it ended up being a conglomeration of BF2, BC2, COD and MOH that didn't "NAIL IT" on anything except a great running graphics engine and the greatest number of promises not delivered in any game I have ever bought.

As for netcode, most modern games use a hybrid server/client hit detection model that works quite well. There are even free to play games that have better net code than BF3, which is just appalling. Previous BF games were bad because they were server side only - with clients only having the option to increase or lower interpolation. With pure client-side netcode, you get seemingly random deaths, opponents that die extremely slowly, and all kinds of other annoying frustrations.

I've waited for months for those patches to come, but I've realized some of them never will. They'll never update the net code to a better model. They'll never increase the destruction to make certain maps like Bazaar and Metro more fun and less explosive spammy. They'll never add in-game voice (another thing common in many F2P games from small companies) And they'll never address another greater issue with the heart of the game - the vehicles are lackluster in implementation and integration into the balance of the game. They'll feel like an afterthought that was just thrown in haphazardly. They made an infantry fighting game out of a large-scale war game. And even that is poor because of the bad netcode.

Sure, some bug fixes have come along.. They fixed the bugs that were in the beta that they said were already fixed for the game launch. Like the laggy servers, falling through the world on metro, gadgets flat out not working...

But it's really just been one huge let down. I can't say I'll be buying BF4 or BC3 or anything. I've learned my lesson that PR likes to make false promises and do anything to drum up hype. They flat out lie sometimes. I just don't know what to expect when I buy a game from EA. There's no assurance of quality. They don't realize that many are already boycotting them. I wouldn't say I'm boycotting them, it's more like someone who has burned their hand on a hot stove being cautious about touching it again.
  17. Oct 26, 2011
    EA ruined another great franchise. I hope they go bankrupt ASAP. After they trolled Activision so hard... they release this unfinished game. The singleplayer is so lame, you have no idea. The multiplayer has more bugs than the open-beta phase.

No squads, origin stupid system, battlelog instead of an in-game menu, lag, bugs and stupid design decisions have ruined this game. :(

I miss BF2
  18. Oct 26, 2011
    Lets just begin by stating that i joined metacritic just for this review. I have been waiting for this game for awhile and have been stoked just to play it. After playing the beta, i was severly disappointed. The glitches galoore made it insane and more frustrating then fun to play. I figured since it was a beta they would fix it, well they did fix some of the beta glitches, just not near enough for a final copy. The multiplayer feels rushed at best and hardly seems to work. The game is fun when its not glitching and the servers aren't crashing (which happen about every hour for the xbox). I give this game such a low rating because of the hype and expectations that the critics and trailers it gave, it hardly lives up to expectations. I love battlefield more then call of duty, but i will definently be picking up CoD now and probably tossing this game off until they fix the issues, which with EA's poor community service skills, will take quite awhile. Expand
  19. Oct 26, 2011
    Potentially great game, completely hamstrung by the epic fail that is Origin and Battlelog. I wish I could get a refund. Hell, battlelog doesn't even recognize the install if you have BF3 Limited Edition instead of BF3 standard.
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    There was so much hype abt this game, I thought it was going to blow me away watching all the videos. Am not much into MP, prefer campaign mode. giving it a 2 for not being even half as good as I was expecting it to be.
  21. JLF
    Oct 28, 2011
    As always, EA doesn't impress. The singleplayer plot was boring. More boring than black ops. But it's alright, the game is supposed to shine in multiplayer, right? It doesn't. While the game IS a step up from BC2 and CoD, it's pretty much the same garbage as it was before. Except this time it has "new engine" slapped on it. I'm giving it one above minimum, because I'm sure it's concurrent is going to be even worse Expand
  22. Oct 27, 2011
    a checkmark next to everything fps communites have not asked for, including the BF community and not all maps are avail. for 60+ usd. EA's stock price is more important than you and they have shown it with this "game".
  23. Oct 26, 2011
    The game's single-player is more linear, glitcher and worse than any CoD game, which is saying ALOT. Being a hardcore fan of BF2, BF2142, and BFP4F, I found the multi-player extremely unsatisfying with less UI features than 5-6 year old videogames, EA Origin, missing classes, really mediocre MoH 2010 gunplay, and glitched vehicle combat. I uninstalled it after 10 hours in Open Beta and the full game is just as disappointing. [[[Whats sad is EA forced reviewers not to release negative reviews until after the game's release week.]]] Expand
  24. Oct 26, 2011
    Visually this game is a 10 but the game play is a step backwards. 99% of people buy Battlefield for the multi-player so I won't even bother with the fail that is single player. Commander? Gone
    Squads remain in the game but are limited to 4 players and all the functionality from before is simply gone. Want to play with 1 or multiple other friends, on the same team, in the same squad?
    Good luck with that. You can't join the squad of your choice. You can't join a friends squad and they can't join you. You must rely on luck to get in the same squad. In its current state BF3 seems to be designed for the MW2 crowd and they lost their identity in the process.
    To top it off you have to launch the game through a 3rd party web browser. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is that all about?
    BF3 has potential but they need to fix the teamwork features of the game. Every previous battlefield title surpasses BF3 in the team play department.
  25. Oct 25, 2011
    The overall experience with this game is average, it could have been FANTASTIC, if DICE had not copied other shooters in the market, to me this game is just a mix of Bad Company 2, Medal Of Honor, Call Of Dutty and Battlefield 2, all together in a nicer engine, that looks great butt not as great as they made you believe in all those nice trailers...
    The annoying battlelog combined with the
    unnecessary origin spyware app do not help either. Expand
  26. Oct 26, 2011
    Just a below average shooter. Yes it's very pretty, but the graphics add nothing to the gameplay (and in some cases actually get in the way). Gunplay simply isn't visceral or fun, detached is a term I'd associate with it. Single player is a travesty, there's no flow you just wait all the time for your squad to catch up (and for you to find the exact right place to stand to trigger the script) and the next quicktime event to take place. Coop is just a very generic horde-rush/nazi zombie like mode. MP is simply dull, generic and not much fun. Maps are either chokepoint based or desolate empty spaces designed for vehicle only gameplay (even the sniper rifles have been gimped). It's the very definition of all polish and no substance. And that's before you get into the hell hole of the Origin/Battlelog/additional VOIP client system, slow loading times, annoying "music". Not worth buying, massively overhyped in the press. Save your money, send a message to EA and don't buy this (also bug ridden) rubbish. I'm giving it 1 for the graphics at least. Expand
  27. Nov 3, 2011
    Battlefield 3 looks great and the infantry combat is solid, but it lacks key gameplay elements that set the franchise apart and contributed to its success.

Gone are the huge, wide-open maps and replaced with more condensed combat zones. It's clear that the hardware restrictions of consoles have stunted map size of BF3, despite the PC being the "lead platform".

BF3 will be loved by
    player who enjoy chaotic infantry combat with non-stop hail of gunfire, but disappoint those who enjoyed the aircraft and enormous maps of BF1942 and BF2. Expand
  28. Oct 25, 2011
    great graphics but its NOT what i excepted from a FROSTBITE 2 engine. single player is failure all the way. in my opinion game was developed too fast to fit just before next call of duty...
  29. Oct 28, 2011
    1.origin,spying,scanning you pc and not even working,yes steam does the same but at least it works
    2.nehhative mouse acceleration,cant bind some jeys,no difrent sensitivity for vehicles,keyborad left key problems etc.
    3.pathetic visual effects that will damage your eyes and give you a headache
    blinding lights,glare,bloom,high contrast,blue filter,headbob and other constant screen shakes

4.pathetic sounds,sniper sounds like a toy gun and it has that damage also
    ugly guns and animations
    5.they cut a part of the game and then sell it as an expansion
    crashing,bad optimization,lag and a ton of other problems
  30. Oct 30, 2011
    What an utterly disappointing campaign. Total rip off of CoD, and after that huge marketing campaign to lead us to believe that it would be awesome. Take the plane mission for example - it looks fantastic, I've got a GTX570 and settings on high+, but the gameplay? Push either 1, 2, 3 or x when told to and that's it. It's like a smartphone app for toddlers. The whole thing is an utter embarrassment for Dice. In the word of Jonny Rotten: "Every get the feeling you've been cheated?" Expand
  31. Oct 28, 2011
    This game has a lot of potential, but it feels like it was rushed and the network code is terrible, even with super low latency and minimal packet loss you tend to experience glitches throughout the game.
  32. sYs
    Oct 27, 2011
    The actually vote for the game would be 4 . I brought the game and played SP, ok it was dull - lake any other shooter story and bla bla. The multiplayer - seems little bit to chaotic. Lack of server browser and so on. biggest downfall was the "ORIGIN" - the game gets 1 from me purely cause "origin" violates almost all my privacy.
  33. Oct 27, 2011
    I'd write a lengthy review but I already wasted enough time playing it. I'll just sum it up: Boring single player with a **** load of cut scenes and listening to people talk. Co-op is nothing more than what mw2 did with theirs, a complete bore. Multiplayer is a joke, as per usual with BF games. New Title: Crawl of duty. Don't waste your money.
  34. Oct 27, 2011
    Horrible, horrible. First let me say, that I have always been a console gamer. Although this time I built a PC specifically because of this game. All I have to say is that the performance is pretty impressive, the graphics are good and the gameplay is decent. They managed to fix a good amount of bugs during the beta, but one huge issue remains.. And that is the LAG. The lag in this game is like no other...in EVERY server, there is constant rubberbanding lag that makes every multiplayer match near impossible to play. This is an absolute joke and I cannot believe they did not fix this most important issue in the beta.

Needless to say I am done with PC gaming and will be moving to Xbox. Selling my PC and playing on a console that doesn't have issues. PC gaming is not like the old days nore more, it is now trash...
  35. Oct 30, 2011
    Firstly, let me tell you that this game is awesome. The graphics, animations and sound are top notch.
    The campaign is mediocre but then if you bought BF3 for the SP, there's something wrong with you.
    Now the reason for the low score is that the game is totally unplayable. Sure there are some people who haven't had a single problem , you are the lucky ones and I envy you but there are 10
    more people for 1 of you who are not able to play the game for more than 5 minutes. The game crashes with a stuttering sound after 5 mins into a MP session. The stuttering on this game is unimaginable on certain high end cards as well. When i pay $60 to play a game i don't expect to spend 10 hours finding a solution to a problem running the game. Kudos to DIce and EA for not porting this from the consoles but your ignorance to customer grievances on Battlelog has to be brought to the forefront.
    You had an amazing game in your hands and you messed it up. Stay away from this title , atleast on the PC until these issues are rectified.
  36. Oct 29, 2011
    The 3 points go to the amazing singleplayer and multiplayer combined with stunning graphics. The -7 points go to EA's invasive Origin where it scans, mines absolutely every data possible.

NO, EA, this is not how you **** with the gamers!
  37. Oct 25, 2011
    The single players, really contains crappy missions. Nothing really, no interesting story, no time and value put into it. I would have way more recommended it if the developers really forgot about the single player and just focused on the multiplayer part, and now they didn't it filled with bugs and glitches which then you get excuses that it's a beta or an alpha.
  38. Oct 29, 2011
    2 points for the anticipated game I have yet to get a taste of. Minus every other point for how broken Origin is. Releasing a game that is locked to a third party software like Origin, and then have the application so broken and unfinished is just unacceptable. Not to mention one of the worst and most useless support chatlines in the history of gaming.
  39. Oct 26, 2011
    sp is pathetic mp with high contrast,constant screen shakes,headbob,blue filter etc. you cant even play without a headache animations are ugly guns look bad sound is bad bolt snipers feel like toy guns there is glare even inside the scope small fov when scoping gliches,bugs game crashing all the time no in game menu no ping in the game no blood and gore etc. do your self a favor and save your money Expand
  40. Oct 31, 2011
    My biggest problem with the game is that the map design is really bad, it's obvious none of the maps were designed for 64 players, because every map packs players into a tiny area with 3-5 capture points and then funnels every player through unavoidable chokepoints filled with snipers and tanks and men running around with knives. They've removed all the tactical gameplay that made Battlefields 1942/2/2142 so great, the game turns into a mindless grind with no balance or thought. Some of the maps are better than others, but there are 4 or 5 out of the 9 that come with the game that are up with the worst from Bad Company 2, which was a sort of mini-console-Battlefield that Battlefield 3 wasn't supposed to be emulating. Like, two of the nine Battlefield 3 maps are literally linear underground tunnels. I was extremely disappointed that there isn't a single large-scale map up there with even the mid-sized maps from the old Battlefield games. If you look at the promo videos which pretty much all involve flying jets (which have no effect on the rest of the game by the way, they're in the game mostly for looks and bullet points I think) the maps look pretty large but all of the capture points are clustered in one tiny area which turns the game into another Call of Duty. They seem to have focused much more on adding a bunch of annoying leveling features, you start out with nothing and then have to grind your way up to get more gear, eventually you'll unlock weapons like an IR Scope that's basically a dev-endorsed wall-hack or gun addons that remove all of your recoil. There are some really huge oversights like air vehicles not starting out with countermeasures, which means as soon as you take off you'll be shot down by one of the 12 players on the other team wielding missile launchers, until you grind enough to unlock something to defend yourself. Nothing in this game is about being "fun", it's about being addictive and fulfilling a lot of soulless corporate metrics. Who cares if the game plays like crap, if you can compel players to grind out a bunch of silly awards? If you're reading this review 3 months from now, you should probably just avoid, because I suspect it will be really miserable to start out in this game once you're going up against teams of experienced players with leveled upped gear. I only tried single player for about 2 minutes, within that time I shot a few AK-47 wielding masked terrists and QTE'd a man to death and then QTE jumped from an exploding train, which is way too many QTE's for me. If you like games that try to look like action movies I think you'll really enjoy this one though. The only positives I can think of are that the graphics and sound are very nice. I'm still holding out hope there will be some sort of additional maps or expansion or something that fixes some of the problems, but I really doubt it based on what I've seen so far, Battlefield 3 has already sold like a hojillion copies so I do not think Electronic Arts gives a **** Expand
  41. Nov 1, 2011
    I signed on to Metacritic only to rate BF3 because I feel so violated by both EA and Dice - by their sheer ignorance and hostility towards a paying customer. If you value your time (endless list of technical problems starting from Origin to Battlelog to the PC port itself), privacy (multiple shady EULAs and file scanning) or simply want to enjoy good games built by honest and respectful developers - do not spend your money on Battlefield 3. Expand
  42. Oct 28, 2011
    multiplayer lacks skill and teamplay, russian announcer speaks english, and battlelog is a satan's gift. ....................................................................................................
  43. Oct 28, 2011
    I have been looking forward to this game for months, really excited as i am a big battlefield fan. Got the game this morning, took it home and then proceeded to spend nearly 3 hours trying to install it!!!!! I had heard Origin was a pile of steaming **** from countless other users but nothing prepared me for this. Cut a lony story short, i ended up downloading a crack which bypasses origin and battlelog compleatly. Only problem with that is i cant frickin go online, only single player is availible.
    Single player is a total joke to, my rig runs 2 GTX570s graphics cards in SLI (with new Nvidia driver) but the graphics are frickin awful, what is with that water droplet/dirt effect on screen during game play?? Another bug bear i have as well is the poor gamepad support, i have by PC rigged upto my 55" TV so i use a wireless 360 controller, now the game recognises that i have the controller attached and lets me play with it in game, however there are some parts in the game which i have to press a certain button at certain time, only problem is these buttons arent on the gamepad but rather on the mouse or keyboard!! What is the point of that?? After speninding 15 mins remapping the keys, i carry on playing the game only to be prompted with a instruction to press Z to go into the prone postion, having gone into prone by pressing a remapped button on the gamepad the message stayes on screen, during this time i am unable to pick up a RPG to blow up the hotel in the first level, only when i press Z on the keyboard am i allowed to pick up the RPG!!! Sloppy Dice sloppy. i am giving this game a low score purely because of origin and a very poor single player plus the points mentioned above. I refuse to have origin on my PC and am sure i will miss other EA games because of it, there loss not mine. If the game ever makes it's way to Steam i will be happy to reload it and give multiplayer a go. Rockstar tried a similar thing with GTA5 and Social Club and we all know how that eneded. For now the game has been uninstalled and will be heading back to the store for a refund. Cmon EA i love some of your stuff, but for the love of god, get rid of the mandatory use of origin and battlelog please!!!!
  44. Oct 27, 2011
    Huge experience of mine with so called magic-engine frostbite began with bad company 2, where I had impossibly high ping (over 500) no matter what, all downloads are off, every program is shut down, but still, bad company 2 is lagging. I'm not telling that because of punkbuster I couldn't play it for a year, it just crashed and crashed. Now, I seen alpha and beta. It just shocked me. They managed to turn frostbite 1.0 into frostbite 0,75 in alpha, then frostbite 0,5 in beta, and now its just a bunch of buggy code within the released product. Even good physics, they've managed to destroy it all. I'm really shocked of DICE and will boycott all of their products since this day. Worst game I have ever tried to play, as its just bugs and bugs, nothing else. It doesn't deserve anything higher than 0. Expand
  45. Oct 28, 2011
    Origin even spies your return of tax or cellphone backup, battlelog is the biggest crap ever. The game is full of bugs, the Singplayer is watching most of the time (without being able to do anything) boring - stolen from other FPS - scripted scenes and missions. The MP offers nothing new compared to BC2 and MoH - besides Maps, Perks for every crap, Textures and some (ok they are good) animations. Overall the game would be O.K, but Origin and Battlelog let the score crash into the negative (if it would be possible). 0/10 Expand
  46. Oct 28, 2011
    Preorderd this game expecting to play a few days after shipped from release on the 25th. Unbeknownst to me, Pacific region customers are restricted from the game until November 2nd. This in itself was bad. What made it worse was when querying EA's customer service via live chat, the first agent more than once ignored questions I posed and instead kept saying "May I help you" (this was after a 40 min wait to speak to them and 5-10 min wait between each response that was written to them which dragged out the conversation.) When I asked the last to answer the question I posed, they actually hung up on me and I spent another 40 minutes waiting to talk to another agent who took over an hour and a half (due to the 5 to 10 minute delays in their responses) to eventually escalate a complaint to a supervisor.... who wouldnt be addressing the issues until next week(28th of October was the date of the conversation). Completely have no interest in the game now because of this experience and wish I'd never bothered with it. Expand
  47. Oct 30, 2011
    Great game! BUT Origin is the worst thing that ever happened to pc gaming! Dont need an ingame backdoor!
    STOP scanning our privacy!
    JUST let us play!

check this:

theorigin.de
  48. Oct 30, 2011
    Pretty much disappointed in all the nonsense of tossing silly medikits around, sniper scope glares and brighter-than-sun flashlights. Also, the game is ugly. It's hiding it all behind a mass of light effects and bloom and hdr. Gameplay is nothing to write home about - it's BFBC2.5. Single player sucked balls, that's enough said.
  49. Nov 1, 2011
    This game requires you to have an EA Origins account to play, if you previously registered a game with EA then you already have one of these accounts. Then you must download a 10gig install for the digital version, install Origins and a webbrowser plugin before you can even play the game. Then you have to wait for the updates, after downloading the files, the setting up of the game and its requirements took me 90 minutes last night the first time around, in what has to be described as a complete nightmare.

By the end of it I was already extremely frustrated and annoyed with EA and this game. Not a good first impression.

To get to this point I had to agree to no less than 3 different Eulas, one of which, the one for origins required me to give EA permission to collect data about me. No opt out option, if you want to play battlefield 3, you have to agree to this.

Once everything was installed, I was presented with a webpage that is Battlefields main menu. That is right, Battlefield 3 has no standard in game menu. It is the ultimate in "you must have an internet connection to play" system, because without one, your not even going to get to the options screen to set things up. Even multiplayer games need the player to set up the game so it works best on their system and gives them a smooth frame rate. Unfortunately the best EAs auto system could do was Auto everything and set the screenmode to max, which is generally not good for a brand new shooter on my computer. Btw max res here is 2048 x 1152, that was the res it choose for my 3 year old Quadcore computer. I meat the requirements easily enough but I think you have to agree, that is a little extreme. Next I set up the server filter to give me a list of games that should have a good ping and tried to join one. 20 minutes later, I was still waiting for it to load the server. And that should have been a warning for me to give up and go and play Mount and Blade Warbands but I failed to take the hint and kept trying until 4 am by which time I gave up and went to bed. Just like the old gamespy system that added a few minutes to the join server process and often leads you to being disconnected because a server has filled up before you even get your game loaded, this has the same problem. Only this time its much much worse. The login process is basically downloading a list of players in the game. Only players join and quit so fast, it is out dated before you get a full list or even see the server.

Once you get beyond the login and connecting messages, it starts to load the map, it is at this point you either see a black screen, or a loading map screen or a flashing white dot in the corner. If this works you can be connected in around 4 minutes. That was the time it took to let me join a server for the only 10 minute laggy game I managed to get in too since buying this game. I have literally only managed to play this for 10 minutes and then the map changed and I was disconnected and have not been able to join any more servers since then. The single player is joke, most of it a movie with parts where you have to hit space bar like crazy. Not the battlefield experience we buy the game for, thats for sure.

The web interface plugin needed to join the game crashes out, Battlefield 3 crashes out, being able to join games at all seems to be a luxury reserved for the chosen ones, the lucky players that manage to play Battefield 3 without issue.

After spending a total of 4 hours over 2 days to get in to the game, and only managing that one 10 minute game. I went searching the net for solutions and found this issue is pretty common. There are lots of people with this issue. The internet is literally full of reports of people who paid £40 for a game that does not let them join any servers. And none of the solutions posted actually work. Now I hate giving 10 scores or 0 scores but if a game does not work at all, then a zero score is all I can give it. So a zero score is what this is getting. If you buy this game, you may find it is a cause of frustration and anger more than fun, never has a system been such a nightmare to setup and install, so invasion in what it demands from YOU, and never has a game that needed all that been so unforgiving buggy and unplayable. Take my advice, do not throw £40 away, do not wait for the bugs to fixed, just write this one off as a bad job and cheer Ubi for their excellent online copy protection system that everybody hates because compared to this, that is pure joy!
  50. Nov 1, 2011
    You know you have a winner of a game when the single player version is so heavily scripted it's unforgiving to the point of insanity and your multiplayer aspect has the tactical flashlight as being the best item ever (as it blinds everyone even in broad daylight). Some of the maps are horribly designed and not balanced for team play. Advancement is the epitome of carrot dangling to the extreme. Sure, it makes you feel great when you get a ribbon, but this is nothing more than a grind to keep players coming back for more of the same garbage served on EA's Origin (which has issues as well). The game looks fantastic and sounds equally fantastic, but core game design and levels are not well thought out and only exist to keep you grinding away. Expand
  51. Oct 28, 2011
    Summary: Battelfield 3 + Origin = Fail! This game is really the last. I was really looking forward to it such a long time but realizing what EA is trying to do with me and my PC is more than bold. I couldn't even install it as I don't agree with Origin. At least, i could send it back to Amazon. Sometimes I really wonder what the publisher think about us, theirs costumers ...
  52. Nov 3, 2011
    Those who see this "0" score may wonder why I'm starting with what, I think, are good - or great - features of the game, so let me start:
    -no more jumping in order to overcome, say, a 2" step on a ladder (or level difference in terrain, for that matter). Now really, does anybody jump 3 steps in order to climb one? In all other games of this franchise, it's a constant annoyance. Not this
    time, though;
    -sound. Realistic. Awesome. Not one negative comment on this one.
    -now, something that may be controversial: the flashlight. Either love or hate it, I consider it something more realistic than before, and even though there were means to do it, it was not built-in;
    -physics/destruction: maybe I should address them separately, but, from what I saw, it looks like physics come from destruction in this game, not the other way around. And don't tell me they are two completely separated things, or it'll get worse! I'll stress the good one: destruction. It's good. I really appreciated it. But when it comes to physics, things are somewhat odd (ask those "jet pilot" players...), to say the least.

And that's all the good things I have to say about BF3 (or should I call it BC3?). Battlelog? Everyone I know is complaining about it. Lack of VoIP? Same. Where are the big ships DICE has promised? Naval battle? I had hopes that this wasn't a bad joke, but it is; a dirty one. Commander? No longer. -member squads? Only if n=4. Commo rose or F1-F8? No option: the worst commo rose I've ever seen (not that I haven't complained about it in BF2; it was bad enough already, but they managed to make it even worse). Graphics? Really, it's a mixture of great vehicle and soldiers textures, with mediocre (or less) terrain graphics. I was wondering if "ultra" meant "ultra-LOW" instead of "ultra-HIGH" graphics quality; to be fair, it's better than DN Forever, and comparable to ET:QW. What about towing vehicles (or vehicles towing objects)? Oh, you don't know what I'm talking about? Sorry if you haven't played BFV, then (and really, I feel really sorry on this one, since you probably can't buy BFV in stores now). Chat screen filling 1/3 of it? C'mon, DICE, you can do better than that! In-game server browser? No more. More unlocks than classes? Then what's the point on classes anyway!!?? And what about that **** of "play it the way you want"? The way I want is more like this: MOD tools, so I can put ideas into practice without having to convince DICE's CEO to allocate a fair amount of time and $ of their team to do it for me (for us). Instead of MODs, which extend the game's life cycle, one will gonna have to put up with DLCs, which divide the community (into those who have and those who don't) once for each DLC. The way I want to play is without Origin, launching the game like any other I've ever installed, not via web browser.
    I'm not done, but I don't want to extend myself much (more than I have already) on this one.
    Clearly, the bad side of it by far out-passes the good one.
  53. Nov 14, 2011
    Graphics are intense, sounds are intense but sadly the game lost most of its defining characteristics as a Battlefield game due to marketing influence. Almost every major change that differentiates this game from its predecessor was made to cater to the console market as well as to those who prefer the more fast paced gaming that usually resides there (as in Call of Duty). Auto regenerative health on both soldiers and vehicles, small squads with no real tactical capabilities all lead to a game where everyone is a one man army and who rarely coordinates their actions with the rest of the team. This is even more hindered by the fact that there isn't the same voice chat functionality that existed in Battlefield 2, in fact the game has no voice chat support at all on the PC.

These glaring omissions of core teamwork related components has made a game that is far more like a sequel to Bad Company 2 (BC2), than Battlefield 2 (BF2). This is furthered by the inclusion of Rush mode a BC2 creation, smaller squad sizes (BF2 had 6 man squads, BC2 has 4 man squads) and auto-regenerative health (BC2 had this, BF2 did not).

Other changes seem to cater directly to the console crowd, the heavier grind to unlock weapon attachments by making each weapon unlock separately, auto-regenerative vehicle health, no time out on engineer repairs (in both BC2 and BF2 there was a limit with a small cool down prior to being able to repair again), points awarded for doing little to nothing at all.

The maps also are far more linear and restrictive than typical BF2 maps and the city environments some of the most restrictive with selective destruction and limited usable buildings.

All of this coupled with the Origin and Battlelog requirements makes this game far less appealing than it should be and sadly is one that I returned.
  54. Oct 30, 2011
    SP only review. Worst single player campaign I've played in ages. Homefront was more enjoyable... For starters, the auto-save system saves at the totally wrong times. Say you've got to climb four flights of stairs then kill enemies...instead of auto-saving before the enemies it saves at the bottom so you have to repeat the boring stair climbing. This happens everywhere. Next, say you have to kill one RPG enemy...the game will spawn infinite hordes of enemies until you kill that one guy. Totally unrealistic. And like everyone else said, the game won't let you even open a door without some idiot NPC doing it for you. Horrible. This is a textbook example of how to ruin a SP campaign. Expand
  55. Oct 29, 2011
    What could have been an otherwise great FPS has been utterly marred by the road to its release and the marketing wrapper that it has been smothered with. The game itself looks/sounds fantastic and is fun, if not a bit samey (though the single player may as well not have been there as its more of a movie/tutorial than anything). That being said, what users were forced to endure because of EA's bullheadedness is unacceptable. Between the privacy concerns and the the fact that EA has decided to use their publisher clout to strongarm their failed and rebranded EA Store into relevancy by forcing it on everyone by making big name titles like this require it, is just short of a direct attack on the sensibilities of the gaming community. I only wish the gaming community was united enough to send a message to these people and let them know this is not competition, this is leveraging power to remove choice, and that between removing our options and not having the decency to ask us to opt in, rather opting to invade our privacy, this whole scenario has been egregiously NOT OK. Expand
  56. Oct 28, 2011
    The lag is unbearable, The non-existent hit-reg they claimed to have fixed is not fixed, The graphics suck, The game is less optimized than it was in beta, The Comma-rose is useless, The game constantly crashes for A Lot of players, There is no way to play co-op with friends, There has been 0 ZERO 0 communication from Dice on when how or even if they are fixing the issues
    The game is
    currently kicking players from servers that do not have the latest version of Punk Buster, But PB does not automatically update, The Campaign is all but 30 minutes of pure cut scenes,
    The Guns do ZERO damage, The game has become a sit and stare and mortar game, The maps all suck, they are just bc2 ports, This game is not a sequel to bf2 its a sequel to bc2 and should therefore be renamed Battlefield: Bad Company 3, Sniping is pointless because they added this stupid scope glare that lets everyone know your position, I don't understand why the game was working fine in beta then they went ahead and broke so much stuff
  57. Nov 2, 2011
    Even the best food is no good if it is served poisoned. It is the same with Battlefield 3, served with Origin, one of the most devious, impudent and malignant pieces of spy-ware the game industry had the spite to come up with. Where I live, most of what they put into the EULA is not even anywhere near legal.
  58. Oct 31, 2011
    The game itself may be a 9 when it is patched, to run on GeForce 8/9/200-Series without jerky mouse jitter stutter problem and corrupted shadows and without crashing after a few minutes. But Origin is a absolute no-go, because it searches your whole hard drives and collect and sends personal information. It e.g. even scans directories of tax or bookkeeping software. It is plain and simple spyware, which is violating most western countries laws, e.g. consumer and data safety laws in Germany. If you don't mind about privacy and your personal data at all or using a second PC solely for gaming, where no personal data is stored, you may still buy and install Origin to play it. Expand
  59. Nov 3, 2011
    This is the biggest dissapointment of the year so far. What could have been an amazing game turned out to be a crappy first person shooter that we've all seen before. I know battlefield is all about the multiplayer, but even that dissapoints. DICE has failed to deliver what they pronmised. But the graphics are good and all.
  60. Oct 30, 2011
    BF3 created so much frustration for me that I just had Origin give me a refund. The online battlelog and server browser is beyond annoying. One simple rule of "keep it simple" was completely ignored to force this new platform on customers. The game itself isn't horrible but in my opinion it's not the best Battle Field. I don't expect a new game to play completely like another version but the mechanics feel dumbed down and the air vehicles are lackluster. The recon class was changed for the worse, and over all I'm not a fan of a lot of the map designs or load outs. I'm not a Modern Warfare fan boy trying to write a bad review, I just think this game has implemented some very poor choices. Expand
  61. Nov 1, 2011
    Battlefield 3 is a gorgeous and smooth multiplayer FPS that is fun to play if you have tons of time to devote to it and have been playing since launch day. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't started playing yet or who will receive this game as a gift later this year since they are in for an experience equivalent to hazing.

Battlefield 3 is deliberately abusive to new or below-average
    skill players. Yes, there are weapons to unlock like previous Battlefield games. Unfortunately, DICE has taken a good thing to the extreme this time around. Did you know you can unlock faster firing speed for vehicles, faster reloads for vehicles, better body armor against explosives, faster sprinting, bipods that make your aim steady, and more? If you haven't started playing by now your enemy has all of these advantages. If you haven't started playing yet you don't have these advantages and will be constantly dominated by players who do have these advantages.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid this immediate disadvantage. You must fight through ever-increasingly difficult odds just to try and rank up to the level of your opponents. By the time you get there they will scored so many points against you that the problem of imbalance will persist. This is not a game that features a level playing field. It goes out of its way to make it imbalanced whether you drive a vehicle or hoof it on foot. Even the vehicles have features that must be unlocked. Enjoy being a sitting duck in an armored vehicle as the enemy pelts you with a faster firing speed and missile that you haven't unlocked.

I could add some commentary about maps in this game. I could add commentary about weapons and vehicles. None of that really matters when the core gameplay mechanics are this badly imbalanced. None of the game's content or performance matters when you join a multiplayer server and find that even your allies sprint right by, demand you let them drive a vehicle because it doesn't have unlockable offensive and defensive capabilities when you drive, or your friends refuse to play on your team because you're too far behind them in terms of unlocks and ranks.

I cannot advocate for a game in which gives players advantages over each other. Weapon unlocks were a nice way to add diversity to the game. Giving players advantages the same way they unlock new content is absolutely brutal. This is not a game of skill or an objective-based team game -- it is purely about who can unlock the most content the fastest.
  62. Nov 2, 2011
    Origin sanctioned spyware installed, check! PunkBuster client installed, check! Web browser plugin installed, check! Logged into Battlenet, check! Hit a Humvee with a RPG and 4 GI's exit the vehicle to gun me down, check! Fire 4 tank shells into a 3 foot bush and the bush just waves in the wind undisturbed, check! Enemy with a surefire gun mounted flash light makes my monitor go full bright white during a mid-day battle and he kills me, check! Fire shoulder rocket at the enemy who turns around and kills me with his 9mm submachine gun while he stands within the impact crater from the fired rocket, check! ... If you like realistic imagery but not realistic, balanced, or stable gameplay, BF3 is the game for you. Expand
  63. Nov 11, 2011
    Not better than Call of duty at all. In ways the game is a rip off from previous titles like MAG. People are always so quickly to bash COD, but realisticly COD has much more maps, content and fun factor than any BattleField game. Don't waste your money on this game.
  64. Nov 12, 2011
    Installing and running EAs very own spyware, Origin, is compulsory in order to play. Origin scans your personal data, including documents and tax returns. According to the EULA, EA can use this data however they want, including selling it to other companies. This is unlawful, outrageous, absolutely, totally unacceptable!! Also, the game isn't that great, either.
  65. Dec 23, 2011
    First let me say that I'm a huge fan of the Battlefield series. I didn't buy BF3 to stomp it. I'm also not giving up on the game just yet. But there are some gameplay dynamics that really have me frustrated.

1.) Weapon upgrades make it a frustrating grind for new players. The weapons for new players are so inferior that they don't really stand a chance against the better
    weaponry/accessories... let alone better weaponry/accessories wielded by someone with 100 hrs more playing time than you. BF2 BC had it right. There should be an incremental jump between default and unlocked weapons... better weapons should help you go from 10 -12 to 12-10. Not 4-14 to 14-4.

It makes tactics worthless because it takes 2-3 times longer to kill players with better weaponry. So even when you shoot them from the side or back, they have time to turn around and waste you no problem.

2.) Terrain physics. At first I was all for how it's difficult to see enemy players on the terrain compared to BF2 BC. Seemed way more realistic and tactical. Unfortunately, the ability to hide encourages lots of camping. Players are invisible in shadows and completely disappear in foliage. For a lot of players it means bush league tactics. Maybe this is my video card setup but I don't think so.

3.) Maps. The maps are super detailed. But the abundance of nooks encourage camping. The unbalanced weapons for new players compounds this like crazy.

4.) Mini map on hard core. This is also another killer of tactical game play. Why should you be smart about out tactical positioning when you can just look at the minimap and see where opponents pop up? Granted, I have access to the mini map too. I could use it. But I don't want to because it takes me out of the gameplay experience. In the past BFs I liked the fact that I could rank high because I played a smart game. Now the game just feels like a dumbed down run around like a chicken with your head cut off spray fest.

5.) Net code. I'm tired of shooting others 4 or 5 times and then dying when it seems like they shot me once. Or dying when I'm on the other side of an impenetrable barrier.

6.) At medium or long distance, BF2 BC rewards controlled bursts of fire. It really made the game play feel tight/smart. BF3 rewards going full auto all the time... especially with the upgraded weaponry where there is little to no recoil. This makes the game (namely HC mode) feel way less tactical. It cheapens it.

6.) Overall, the gameplay feels out of control compared to BF2 BC. It doesn't feel like a team mounting an attack on another team. Its a bunch of individuals running around on full auto killing other individuals with inferior weaponry. I know BF2 BC had it's flaws, but what it did as a whole was to create a sense of narrative in a battle. You could feel the eb an flow of the battles and because of that it often encouraged players to fight strategically even if they weren't intending to play as a team.

I would go back to BF2 BC if there new maps released on a semi-regular basis. As it is, the same old maps are growing old. Maybe it's time to pull some old FPS's out of the bin and see what they offer as far as smart tactical game play.
  66. Nov 2, 2011
    Rush maps make bad conquest maps and conquest maps make bad rush maps, sums the game up. There are no real stand out great maps, and the maps designed for other game mods are down right horrible. The destruction and general atmosphere of combat feel like a downgrade from BC2, with bullets to shells not penetrating obstacles that should be trivial and the lighting is just down right ugly. Infantry combat is well done, vehicles and aircraft are an embarrassment to Dice. All in all a waste of £40. Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    Bad copypaste from CoD in single player and from BF:BC2 in mulitplayer. But single sooo boooring... So many bugs, stupid Origin, but much much PR. Not true.
  68. Jun 4, 2013
    Terribly linear single player, multiplayer horribly optimized and quick match making is awful, I would rather play the older BF series than this hunk of crap.
  69. Nov 1, 2011
    This game is great...when multilayer works. The origin launcher is dumb and web interface is even worse. When I join games it works only about half the time, sometimes i get a illegal operation or it just freezes. They have turned this game into a console first pc second title which is messed up because it started on PC.
  70. Nov 11, 2011
    Very horrible game, origin puts viruses on your computer, and downloads your files.

Game is not as good as good as they said it was, the trailer and all the video are a lie, it's buggy, filled with cheaters and retarded admins.

Stay away.
  71. Dec 6, 2011
    Absolutely the most horrid game to install and play using Origin. After 4 hours of loading and getting instructions from others on the web, I finally got to play the game. After an update on 12-7-2011, the game would not load and could not be played. Their help center was as frustrated as I was and told me to start all over again, by uninstalling and reinstalling the game. This after completing completing half of the game.. They were of little help, but offered to sent me a 15% coupon off my next purchase of an EA game. This will not happen. The worst game to manage I have ever encountered in my life. When it did play it was OK, but nothing like Crysis or Crysis2. Expand
  72. Nov 11, 2011
    I have had this game since release, and have spent easily over 45 hours in forums and tweaking my brand new BEAST of a pc, and I still get a RANDOM CRASH FREEZE every 2-10mins, that needs a HARD reset! When this game is patched and 99% of the bugs are crushed, this will be a 10/10 game. At present it's way to buggy and not yet worth the price of admission, it's a massive disappointment to not be able to play this properly on release with an amazing machine (and yes I have updated the drivers thanks EA/DICE...!! Expand
  73. Nov 14, 2011
    SP is pretty poor. GFX are very nice but gameplay and story is nowhere near as compelling as the MW games.
    I can't play the MP because Origin doesn't want to work for my PC and EA don't seem to do customer support, so I'm left with a game I can't play or trade in because I've used my code. This will be the last EA game I ever buy.
  74. Nov 8, 2011
    Battlefield series fans were promised a sequel to battlefield 2. What we got was a sequel to bad company 2, with its lack of vehicle combat, small maps, non existent in game voice communication, modding tools and horrible user interface for PC. On top of that, the game requires battlelog to be able to be played, setup (controls, graphics).
  75. Nov 29, 2011
    Game itself is an great looking and typical multiplayer, so don't expect any epic storyline in singleplayer - it's rather lazy tutorial. CoD's influence isn't the worst thing in this game, however it's absolutely not my taste. The annoyance is Battlelog, which makes me run internet browser to log in. What an brilliant idea... Seriously., whats next ? Will we have to run Windows Media Player in background to hear the sound and music in game ? Thats why i was so "generous" and gave it 4. Expand
  76. Oct 30, 2011
    Great game for multiplayer (as expected) but Orign is awfull : you need to start the game from a browser, the interface is slow, ugly and if you don't have a 1080P screen you7 have to scroll to launch the game. Origin is heavier than steam, without game, without content and promotion, ... What's the point of doing another steam if there is nothing better in Origin...
  77. Oct 30, 2011
    The first thing this game is doing well, it's the multiplayers mode. No doubt about that, that's an incredible experience, a satisfying one, especially in a squad with well known friends! And the good part of the review ends here. The rest of the game is a big letdown compared to Bad Company 2... EA is here to make money, offering a game that improve nothing, as they do with the sports franchises. The campaign is a non inspired copy of COD Black Ops, with bad writing and bad acting. As fas as I'm concerned, the Vietnam expansion of the second game on the row was the pinnacle of the BF experience. Don't lose money and time on Battlefield 3, persist with BC2 and/or wait for MW3. BC3 is a frustrating experience. Expand
  78. Oct 30, 2011
    I'm really disappointed from Battlefield 3. I'ts too CoD like. The MP is unbalanced, the Game **** up every 10 Minutes, on my High End Gaming Rig btw. The Single-player is too Short, and the AI is stupid. The Gameplay is not BF anymore, its not balanced. Where is the Commander? Where are all the great things from BF2 !? And the Sniper is useless in BF3, because after a time the scope is reflecting the Sun to the Enemys, so the Sniper is easy to spot. A Crappy Game..... The CoD Hype has won, and killed BF... Expand
  79. Nov 1, 2011
    SP was predictable boring and short. Graphics are great but thats mostly because of the horrible blinding lights. I wish there was a mp unlock for tinted goggles. Also this game is geared for hardcore players and hardcore players only. If your not a seasoned battlefield veteran prepared to get anal raped hardcore. It doesnt matter if you are good a video games you will still get crushed into the ground if you haven't been playing the battlefield series. If your a gay casual gamer and like it up the butt than you will surely love the ass rape that is battlefield 3, otherwise I would stay away. Expand
  80. Nov 2, 2011
    As somebody who played BF1942 for 3 years, then BF2, then BFBC1 and 2, BF3 seems like a step in the reverse direction. The pace seems slow which is unlike a Battlefield game, and besides the pretty graphics BF3 actually seems like it has worse gameplay than BF2. Definitely not what I've been waiting years for. And to think that DICE scrapped subsequent DLCs for BFBC2 to work on BF3. It's a pity, it could have been a great game. That coupled with EA's crappy connectivity client, which makes using Gamespy in the old days a joy compared to what they've presented for 2011, makes the experience very disappointing.

I guess I'll move to other games and check back in a month or two to see if they've managed to fix the experience at all.
  81. Nov 2, 2011
    I sold my copy after 15 hours of MP.Repetative,dull,boring and full of glitches.Plus all the other negative comments already posted.Whats the point of massive nice looking enviroments if you cant use them,oh yea corprate eye candy.God forbid players should do anything else except die,respawn,kill,fuse/defuse bombs by pressing a button over and over just to get weapons and upgrades.
  82. Nov 3, 2011
    Nothing New in the West! 1. Origin: general business terms what, a cheek! Do I have to pay for this or do they have to pay me for selling them all my informations. The software "origin" itself not very comfortable, just one more source of trouble. All in all useless. 2. Battlelog: Second source of trouble because it's runs in a browser! Why? The Voice Channel, the multiplayerlounge, everything, the whole communication design, everything is very confusing and buggy.

3. Battlefield 3:
    The graphics are very elaborated and textures are realistic, (except the many bug which I hope will be fixed soon) sometimes the effort to be as most realistic as possible ruins the gameplay, like the flashlight and all the laserpointers, just annoying.
    All in all the graphics in Bad Company 2 appeared more realistic to me.
    Character Design is just stupid, e.g. russian soldiers with giant watches and why do the engineers wear gas masks all the time??? Please don't try to be realistic at all cost.

Gameplay:
    Nearly all of the new inventions in the gameplay are reinventions of older battlefield versions like: weapon fire mode, lying on the groung, jets, or things that I could even remember since "Wolfenstein Enemy Territory" (even there it was possible to time your grenade). Frostbite promissed that it's possible to destroy nearly everything, I dreamed of having bomb crates, but sometimes it's hard to just cut down a tree with a tank or roll over a guardrail. The whole point system is just made for all those addicts, it disadvantages those who don't want to spent all there private life playing FPS and as I think it's another loss for a balanced gameplay, it doesn't provide ability in first place but attendance. Tactics or teamplay are not really necessary if you have the beter weapon. Go on an trie to get a high rank, next year there will be a new game and there you start at zero. It's just to keep you gaming and gaming even though the basic gameplay is nothing special. Let me call it just swagger like the whole mock battlelog wolf in sheep's clothing facebook. Sorry.
    Maps are confusing, maybe I'm not used to it or it's snipers wonderland. And as far as I can see, good night modding, looks like this is the end of all Battlefield Mods.

ASO ASO

Sorry I've had more fun playing BC2 or BF2, my critic would have been better if there had been some real new inventions except better graphics.
  83. Nov 3, 2011
    Origin and BattleLog ruin any possibility of a positive experience. The server browser returns expired server status and data; connecting to servers and staying connected is an exercise in futility. Once connected, you're still not out of the clear as you have an extremely high probability of being kicked. The single player campaign is pathetic. Quick time events to kill rats and open doors is not exciting. Do yourself a favor and avoid this game. Expand
  84. Nov 5, 2011
    Before anything, let me say... BATTLELOG AND ORIGIN ARE HORRENDOUS!!! I cannot begin to explain how badly I wanted this game to be a blockbuster. How badly I wanted to play it through my Thanksgiving holiday. How badly I wanted to eat up every last bit of its great gameplay and graphics. But seriously, it was like a good looking Medal of Honor remake. I am talking some of the WORST AI and gameplay in single player to date. If you hated Red River or Medal of Honor, you will equally hate the single player in this game. Just sad. Also, it is buggy, glitched, and very linear. I waited so long for this game, got it asap, and I would just as quickly return it if I could. It breaks my heart. Expand
  85. Nov 11, 2011
    I have not seen so epic failure at longer time. Dice promised to do something incredible, from which all the gamers of the world will barf a rainbow, but in fact we got a piece of crude, dull **** Where is the promised fantastic graphics, where's the interesting gameplay, where's the exciting singleplayer? We have nothing. But there is Battlelog - the most idiotic thing in the history of gaming. Dice need to focus on creating good games, not to insult competitors Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    Despite playing on a PC that exceeds all requirements (I7 920, 8GB, 6870x2 2GB) I've had two weeks of stuttering graphics that rendered it unplayable. Solved that by manually configuring a pagefile and was able to play for enough time to be disapointed that there is less game here than BF2. Maps are smaller and less interesting, there are bugs everywhere. No VOIP, no ping information available in game, no commander. cluttered screen, sniper shotguns! List goes on. Periodically its impossible to join a game due to "you have been disconnected from ea online". Strangely the beta ran fine for me... Overall its not even close to release quality. Last purchase I make from EA/Dice Expand
  87. Nov 11, 2011
    The best Battlefield game in the history is Battlefield 2, ever. Battlefield 3 is not a good sequel to Battlefield 2 because the Dice team worked hard and made a beautiful game, but they forgot the meaning of the words "improve" and "Battlefield 2". Battlefield 3 should be the modernized and direct evolution version of Battlefield 2 and not a completely new and so different game. People are playing Battlefield 3 and saying that is the best game in the series but this is a lie. Wait a few months to see a change of opinion, when the fever of Battlefield 3 has passed and those same people will stop comparing Modern Warfare 3 with Battlefield 3. No Battlefield game will have the same experience of Modern Warfare and vice versa. These two franchises are completely different and for those who have not noticed, Battlefield 2 is a War Simulator, more realistic and complete than any other war game. As we would say, a Gran Turismo of shooter games. Battlefield 3 is good, fast, modern, has an updated arsenal, great looking BUT.. you will play it for hours and you will not have that "Battlefield 2 feel" . In other words, you will not feel that has found your place in the battle. And that you are part of a team and an Army. These things, my friend, make Battlefield 2 better than any other FPS game outhere! I personally expected more of Battlefield 3 and I not believed when I saw this game was not a sequence. No commander, terrible aircrafts, bad spot and squad features AND the huge hole in BF3: the Battlelog Server Browser, most uncomfortable feature I have ever seen for years! DICE have so much time to create the sequel to Battlefield 2 and the help of Frostbyte Engine of Bad Company 2 and yet, they release a game full of errors, because even change the configuration of the mouse or joystick in the game can be a problem! You press a button on the mouse and nothing happens! I really sorry, I am a Battlefield 2 core fan, and in my point of view, this game stinks! This game is not worthy of fame and big sales he is having. Wake up people!! Buy Battlefield 2, buy Modern Warfare 3, buy Crysis 2, but don't buy **** because it will stinks later! Expand
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo buggy its boring and repetitive no fun rubbish garbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage
  89. Nov 25, 2011
    This game is a waste of money! I even pre-orderd it because of the critics. Then when i play the game it turns out they sold me a piece of **** The lighting in this game is the worst ever created and known to mankind. The flashlights will blend you in daylight a freaking mile away. The guns feel all the same. They have the worst game-searching system. It took me half an hour just to find a match. It lags all the time and the vehicles are too overpowered. Save your money and don't buy this crap. Expand
  90. Feb 3, 2012
    Awesome game, untrustworthy mechanics. I love the realism, options, progression and over all feel of the mechanics and delivery are spot on. I won't play the game again. I don't trust the servers or developers to offer fair gameplay. Hackers, cheaters and severely unbalanced gameplay make this game a fairly self defeating experience. If EA delivered trustable hack proof servers, which they never will.

I could definitely be coaxed back to playing.
  91. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is a Great online Multiplayer game. But i gave it a one because i am unable to play online because of me being in afghanistan. I loved BF2 and still play it today, But BF3 took away alot of the core things that made the BF2 so great. Things like Offline multiplayer- I loved to go and practice flying jets and helicopters offline in BF2 but Offline multiplayer has been taken away and replaced with a crappy singleplayer. Also when i finally played it online, Voice chat within squads has been taken away. I believe you have to go download a program for teamspeak. I dont believe you should have to do that, You should just join a squad and be able to talk to them or mute them. Last, the Commander Position has been taken away. That was my favorite position because you could really help out your team. Give squad orders, drop ammo to a squad so they can resupply, Give that lone wolf a vehicle drop when he's stuck out in middle of nowhere. I did those things and whenever i did it, it was a great feeling whenever i heard "Thanks Champ" from the squad leader. That has been taken away. The Graphics, Sound, and Gameplay are great, but Some things shouldnt be taken away. ((Also, I believe EA pressured Dice with this product for competing with COD. DICE should break all ties With EA)) Expand
  92. Nov 8, 2011
    I'm sure that this game was made with the best intentions in mind. The singleplayer looks tight and well made, the multiplayer looks to be the best this year, and the graphics are fantastic. Why, then, did I rate this game so badly? It is, simply, unplayable. Due to bugs still left in the game 2 weeks after release and after beta, the game requires over 2GB vram to be playable at all (this is not mentioned in the recommended settings, which ask for a paltry 1GB), and without it, the will play smoothly for a few minutes before utilizing all the ram in the computer at once. Leaving a bug in that makes the game unplayable for so long makes me more than a little mad, and so, I am forced to dock more than a few points. Expand
  93. Nov 4, 2011
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a better game in every respect, that's all you need to know, how can you take such a big step backwards? It's even buggier than BC 2, one can only wonder if it was Dice or EA who's responsible for making this game a mess. The game industry is taking everything that's bad about Hollywood and incorporating it.
  94. Nov 7, 2011
    let me start by saying. All of you people crying about ORIGIN please be quiet. I have not had one problem with it, the game on the other hand..
    Single player is in my opinion worse than MOH which next to duke nukem has to be the worst game of recent history.
    Mulitplayer is horrid. The capture points are all too close together. The servers or the game in fact cannot handle 16 players never
    mind 64. The netcode seems very broken or out of sync, you can shoot people until your clip is empty then die from 1 shot. There are lots of links about this, google it. This is the biggest flaw in the shooter that was bf3, I know lots of people do not see the problem, this is mainly because they have no talent and any kill for them is a good kill.

to recap

single player ´´the dullest experience ever.

multiplayer´is so broke you might as well play it on a console.

I would think about buying this game in a year but then again they never fixed bc2.

stay away, dont believe the hype
  95. Nov 9, 2011
    Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again! Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again!Terrible game. The single player is nearly nonexistent the multiplayer is trash the mechanics are terrible and unrealistic. Looks like MW3 wins again! Expand
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    With the inclusion of the crapware Origin, this game deserves the ZERO it gets. Boycott EA has worked! Already, after 2 weeks of sales, BF3 has sold less than a million. This spells out an absolute disaster for EA games. Good. Its not the game that sucks by itself. No... Its probably a 9 otherwise. Combine the game with EA's poor relations to gamers, (treating gamers like crap) putting out Alpha's riddled with bugs so they can make money now, and fix problems way into the future, makes for a poor gaming company. MW3 has nothing innovative, but has sold 9.3 million on launch. Is MW3 better than BF3? No, not really. Its not about who's game is better designed. Its all about who treats their customers better. BF3 should have sales in the 5 million figure by now. But its just not going to happen. EA didn't listen to their customers, and now they are going to find out how much people hate EA, not BF3 in particular. With absolute dismal sales for BF3 and a word record on MW3.... The numbers tell the story. Not the reviews, but sales numbers. EA, here is a suggestion. Fire all the bigwigs, turn EA back into a gaming company instead of trying to monopolize on the gaming industry. Its not going to work. Steam is still the king of hill, and Origin is hated by most gamers. Listen to the numbers... Or you will find yourselves out of business, just like you destroyed so many independent gaming companies. Expand
  97. Nov 9, 2011
    This game has the most awful balancing ever. Sniper rifles rule, vehicles feel really poor (at least on the pc) and the community itself is really awful. This makes the game very hard to get into. On top of the singleplayer being probably the worst I've ever played. Multiplayer is just as bad and just as boring. It's been done before in other games. The game doesn't really have the identity the original franchise had. A lot of hype and not much else. The game does absolutely nothing evolutionary and definitely not revolutionary, it's just stagnant in terms of moving the "realism" shooter forward. Expand
  98. Nov 11, 2011
    This is not BF3 in any real sense of the title. It is a lousy rendition of bad company 2 or as its come to be known in the interwebs, bad company 2.5. It's CLEARLY a console port with weak and very limited controls. Origin is a nightmare and battle log is terribad. No main menu, no squad voip built in so multiplayer is chaos.

Additionally, this was promised to be a BF2, not a BFBC2 sequel
    yet, there is no commander mode at all or for that matter even a squad leader. No more air drops or artillery. No orders so its basically become an every man for himself boom headshot fest of lame wanna be CoD players. I would give this game a 6 if it was actually named bad company 3, as it stands, its a BF3 and it disgraces the namesake of one of the best FPS games in history. 0/10. Expand
  99. Nov 7, 2011
    Hide in the bushes and snipe. Or leave the bushes and get sniped. Or maybe you can get blinded by a flashlight in broad daylight from 100ft away. Awesome.
  100. Oct 31, 2011
    Amazing possibilities, but horribly let down by the poor execution. It appears they simply wanted to beat MW3 to market and pushed out a game much too early. The bugs that exist in the retail product mirror those of the beta. Save you money and wait for a few weeks. This experience has seriously tainted my love for the battlefield series. I will now try MW3 in the hopes that I won't have to deal with this nonsense again. Expand
  101. Oct 30, 2011

It's all a matter of taste, after all. They each provide a certain type of entertainment – when talking about Battlefield 3, it involves a bigger game, more open in its possibilities and more spectacular. But on a longer timeline, less frantic and with fewer Bruce Willis scenes than the mass appeal beast it set itself to dethrone.
    No, Battlefield 3 is not the best game of today. But good looking – definitely. It also has an absolutely addictive multiplayer. Who needs more? [Dec 2011]
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    Both a triumphant leap forward and a return to form for the Battlefield series. This is the best multiplayer shooter on PC. [Christmas 2011, p.58]