7.3

1. Jan 18, 2011
    This game is awesome. It is similar to asteroids but the gun fires at the beat of the music making it very challenging. The lights are trippy at night and the overall gameplay is great.
  2. Jul 12, 2011
    This game is HIGHLY addictive. It seemed cool on steam so i decided to buy it, not noticing I have discovered a masterpiece in music games. I have never like asteroid type shooters before, but this game creates a amazing spectacle of lights and is greatly influenced in the song. I have a ton of music on my computer so this game is just endless enjoyment and the songs it came with were also very good. One of the greatest purchases I have ever made. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2011
    Asteroids + Music of your choice + Steroids = Beat Hazard What a nice, small game (only coming up to around 40mb on the HD). If you're looking at a large campaign game, you wont find one here. This is one of them "I need a quick crack on Beat Hazard" moments ... or maybe "I need something to do for 10 minutes" If there was something similar, it may be put beside Stardust (on the Amiga), just, in short manic bursts.

The great thing about this one is that you can add any music from your library (mp3 / wma) and play. If you actually make your own tunes, how about playing em in a game? ^-^/
    You could for example have a lil competition with your friends to see who can get the best score on a song you like- or something.

As said before, it is a short-lived game, as there is no campaign, there are also only a few types of enemy.... The "upgrades" you get are in game power-ups, once the song finishes you start from 0. If they would have included a campaign / story mode where you could upgrade your ship somehow, (think Gradius, or maybe Transplant (Amiga) and then add a few extra baddies... perrrfect!

Ah, there is also a simultaneous two player mode which I haven't tried yet cos the wife doesn't like the games and I have no friends ;(

+ Graphics MANIC FLASHY FLASHNESS
    + Music BEATS HARD AND LOUD!
    + Play YOUR music

- No campaign
    - Short lived
  4. Jan 3, 2013
    This is a fun game for what it does. If you have a music collection you enjoy and aren't bothered too much by ALOT of flashing lights, this is a solid title. It's challenging and it plays all your favorite music. It's hardly something you can play everyday, but if you feel like some tunes but don't wanna just stare at the wall, this thing is great.
  5. Dec 17, 2010
    I'm enjoying this at the moment. Intense shooting fun for a low low price.

As the other reviews have said the music doesn't have a massive impact on game play, the only exception being hitting a boss fight in the quiet bit, so your guns are useless! The music browser is a bit slow and you can only seem to scroll though rather than search for a specific track (I have a large music
    collection). It's pretty intense and also quite pretty to look at. Easy to pick up and hard to master as all games should be. At the moment I keep coming back for more. How long this will last I don't know but for less than the price of a pint I've already had good value for money. Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2010
    Never seen such a banging thing !! If you like bombastic graphic and music effects, and don´t want to spent money on a new heartbeat-maker, it´s the right game to play. 10.000 Volts and after-burning Fireworks.
    So its´even 11 to 12 !
    I got luckily it for less then 2 Euro-Bugs on Steam, but it´s worth more than 10. Even with sunglasses on,
    your hormones will be heavily updated ! Expand
  7. Jun 9, 2011
    WOW... with the new update installed beat hazard has a whole new feel to it. I have been playing this game since the steam treasure hunt (way back then), and up until now i would've rated beat hazard around a 7-8 good fun gameplay but repetitive. with this new update (NOT BEAT HAZARD ULTRA) the game has a whole new element of how to play. I love the perk section, the game engine seems to reflect the way your music now performs and there are new achievements. Beat hazard IS a really fun game that i recommend Expand
  8. Dec 13, 2010
    While they whole notion of "PLAY WITH YOUR MUSIC" seems quite interesting to look at, that's pretty much where it's job ends. It does little to affect gameplay, apart from the fact that your bullets are stronger in more intense sections of the song. Plus, given the deliberate seizure inducing visuals (which are somewhat pretty) and the fact that you must pay an extra dollar to get iTunes m4a support, It doesn't seem much like a worthy game, more like just some Asteroids clone with music. Your music. Probably only good for short bursts, before you collapse to the floor in a fit. Expand
  9. Aug 10, 2011
    Beat Hazard is a neat idea that hasn't quite pulled it off. I like this kind of 2d-space-shooter thing and I love music, so I thought I would like this a lot more. But it ends up feeling like AudioSurf's rambunctious little brother.

The biggest problem is that it's too damn bright and flashy. As in, it actually hurts my eyes to play this thing for more than a few minutes. Everything
    seems to have bright white sparkles and bursts. It's ridiculous. Even with the brightness settings turned all the way down, it's annoying. I shouldn't need sunglasses to play a video game.

Once you get past that, it's just not that great at mapping the gameplay to the music. Audiosurf does a good job of making fast songs fast and crowded while slow songs are more leisurely. Beat Hazard just doesn't seem to differentiate the songs as much. Maybe it depends on what sort of music you put into it, but it wasn't working for me.

On a positive note, the "earn points to unlock things" is kind of neat and one way to make players want to come back for more.

Long story short, if you can get past the obnoxious flashing of the screen and really, really want to shoot some spaceships and asteroids while listening to your music, it might be worth the $5 or so it costs when it's on sale. I personally don't recommend it, though.
  10. Jan 2, 2012
    Beat Hazard it's a game for a 15 minute break. Don't get me wrong, that's actually an upside! Such productions are not made to engage player for long hours of gameplay - it's not even possible with this one, because of it's overloaded visuals. I would compare it with Audiosurf - that's logical, but those games have very less in common. Of course, your mp3's create levels in both games, but Beat Hazard is a classical space-shooter, like Asteroids. It's rapid, flashy and punishes you for every mistake... and yes, visuals are very intense. That's why it's perfect for 15 minutes break - your eyes won't get tired. Unfortunately, developers could really spice up some features.. and they did not. Your music has very questionable influence on your game - sometimes it kinda catch up, other times it fails totally. When you use more advanced perks (you unlock them when clearing songs) and turn the difficulty up, it seems to match the music in a better way... but still, it's not so precise as Audiosurf. In conclusion - pretty nice game, for all arcade shooter fans. Grab it when there's a discount and be sure to buy the "ultra" edition, with many more perks to unlock and new enemies. Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2011
    This game is worth the buy. Visual effects are gorgeous. A must play if you like these types of games. I hope you like to upgrade things because in this game you got a lot of choices to choose from at the start.
  12. Apr 29, 2012
    I just got the game a few days ago and I'm already having such a super fun time! It is very challenging, but I still enjoy that I can play my music. The lights are not a problem for me. I just can't really bare with the lights on a full 200%... Hahaha. You guys should try the demo out before you buy because I don't think this game is for everyone.
  13. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    "Beat Hazard" is a music-based 2D space shooter. Yeah, it's exactly as boring as it sounds. Also, its effects are almost epilepsy-inducting. Not funny in anyway.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    With roots reaching back to Asteroids and Geometry wars, Beat Hazard, the first release from Cold Beam Games, introduces a next-gen twist to on it's predecessors...Music drives the gameplay, and you pick the tunes! Beat Hazard provides a unique gameplay experience with every new track since various musical elements change the way the game reacts; tempo controls your rate of fire, the number of foes, and the way enemies attack. Slow songs don't have as many baddies, but you can't shoot as many projectiles from your ship. Meanwhile, up-tempo/club-mix tracks will have you on the edge of your seat as the screen explodes with enemies, but lends you a dazzling array of attacks to deal with the horde. If you want to play this on PC, Highly recommend using/getting an XB360 gamepad, it is a shooter, and the keyboard/mouse doesn't do it justice. Beat Hazard is available for both XBox 360 and PC. Go to the XB Live Marketplace to get it for 400pts, or head to Steam; ~$10. This game is a must-have for anyone who loves Audiosurf (another music driven game), craves a unique/addictive game experience, or needs yet another reason to pump up the volume. Expand
  15. Jul 19, 2011
    If you like listening to music while inducing photosensitive seizures, this is likely the right game for you--it is seriously visually intense. Combine Asteroids and Robotron together and you've summed up the game play of Beat Hazard. In addition to achievements and perks, the game offers single player, coop, and versus elements to keep it from getting stale. Music is typically supposed to be relaxing...this game is anything but. Expand
  16. Aug 12, 2011
    This is one of those games that has some flaws, but I really like it. Using your own music to influence the gameplay is great and makes for some very vibrant scenes.
  17. Jul 9, 2011
    Beat Hazard is amazing. I never actually owned a game that plays like BH before, not sure if Space Invader counts, but BH provided me with countless hours of fun while listening to some of my favorite songs. The boss fights were interesting, and evading the countless enemy units that filled up my screen while shooting as much as I could, was entertaining.

While I have not explored the
    entirety of the offering of its expansion aptly named Ultra, the few bosses I encountered, and even grunt units, now upgraded with more weapons and some really annoying abilities like a tractor beam turned my former experience of a smooth ride into a much more challenging experience. So kudos to the developers for these changes. Expand
  18. Jun 17, 2011
    This game is simply awesome. I love the concept games that play to my music, but most of them are simply not that entertaining. Beat Hazard is clearly my favorite out of all the music based games I've played. The new DLC for it makes it multiplayer, which is insanely fun (as long as they have some of the same songs as you), and the perks system is nice.
  19. Jul 18, 2011
    The music you choose greatly influences the difficulty of the game. Which makes this game very flexible for those who are looking for a distraction, or a light flickering challenge. With the option of playing with a friend or stranger online, this game constantly offers unique challenges when playing alone or with a friend and is definitely worth the $10 dollars.
  20. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Beat Hazard by itself is a decent game. If you're a music lover, you will enjoy it. If you're an arcade game lover, you will enjoy it. However if you splurged a little extra on the 'Ultra' DLC, it becomes an awesome game. There are a couple modes, all of them fun in their own way (as long as you're not an epileptic), and the game itself is incredibly intoxicating.
  21. Aug 23, 2011
    I played the demo for about half an hour. Then I had to wait another half hour to write this review because my eyes couldn't adjust to the relative dimness of my regular monitor brightness. The game was so bright and flashy that I literally could not see it, even after turning down the brightness. Even on slower songs (which really differ very little from their upbeat counterparts) the game spawned massive amounts of enemies which felt like they really had no place there. The effects were cool when I could see them, and the game felt very modern Asteroids-esque, and listening to my music whilst playing was fun, but I might as well turn on iTunes for that eh? Not a horrible game but just go buy Audiosurf instead. Expand
  22. Feb 17, 2012
    Beat Hazard Classic is a masterpiece! one of my favorite games of all times! If you love music do yourself a favor and play this super fun super cool game
  23. Sep 30, 2011
    Yes this game is really awesome .A perfectly game the multiplayer have small bugs but this is nothing . AudioSurf vs Beat Hazard = Beat hazard win :D
  24. Oct 17, 2013
    I can destroy aliens with the power of GODFLESH. I cannot possibly imagine what else I would want... Oh yeah, a bit more variety in the aliens wouldn't hurt, but it's a fun old school shooter that turns your tunes into lasers.
  25. Jan 9, 2012
    THE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. UNIQUE CUSTOMIZABLE MUSIC SELECTION, ENEMY AI IS EFFECTED BY THE MUSIC CHOICE AND Addictive. At first glance the game doesn't give much potential, boy was i wrong. The intensity, of some of my own song choices, were utterly insane and challenging. A song you wouldn't think to be hard was and vice versa. Buy now and be impressed with enjoyment of your own music. CDO
  26. Jan 10, 2012
    This is a great little game. I love to listen to music and have a lot of great stuff on my PC. I don't listen to it as much as I would like as I am usually doing other things, frequently more than one thing at a time. When playing Beat Hazard I get to listen to my favorites songs while playing a truly fun top-down space shooter that reacts to the music itself. Wonderful experience. Highly recommended. Expand
  27. Apr 9, 2012
    Beat Hazard is a procedurally generated game based on your music. It does a good job with it, with big flashy explosions, gunfire, enemies and more during high points of the music, contrasted by slow enemies (after the balance patch) and weak gunfire during the lulls. Featuring generic space-based enemies, Beat Hazard does leave a lot to be desired graphically and atmospherically. The overly flashy effects (literally FLASHY) is an annoyance to some gamers, but I enjoyed it and thought it added tension; there is order to the chaos on the screen - it just takes some experience to recognize it.
    The gameplay is a straight-forward bullet-hell shoot-em-up, featuring a single level-clearing powerup and smaller cumulative weapon strength powerups. Beat Hazard is by no means easy, but eases the difficulty with a simple level-up system, which takes dozens of hours to max out. The enemies are easy to understand, from path-following suicide ships, to crumbling asteroids, to player-seeking armed ships and to the behemoth dividable boss ships. If there's one thing Beat Hazard lacks in gameplay, it's not the fast paced adrenaline-filled action, but the lack of diversity in weaponry, enemies and powerups.
    Overall, Beat Hazard is a great attempt at an action-music game, with a huge advantage in being able to use your own music library. Highly recommended to fans of indie games or anyone who craves a throwback to arcade games of the 80's.
  28. Nov 22, 2012
    You see, Beat hazard is, at this point in time, two games. Beat hazard itself would get a 5, it is a great concept, it's pretty well executed but could use a LOT more content, there's like 5 enemy types and what, 3 bosses? Anyways, Beat hazard is fun for a couple hours. Then you spend 5 dollars extra and you basically triple the content and throw in online multiplayer, and then you get a game worthy of 7 or 8. Expand
  29. Dec 17, 2012
    Seizure generator powered by your bad music! Gameplay is asteroids with some beat matching and lots of graphical effects. There aren't many rhythm game options on Steam; this is significantly better than Audiosurf but is still just average for the genre.
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    So, you are bored and want to play some music meanwhile doing something? This is the perfect game to do it! It is basically an asteroid clone with some touhou elements. Very interesting is the achievement part of the game and the RSS feed. You get noticed live if you climb the world ladders or if there is somebody willing to play online, you just have to press F1 and you can duel or coop with him.

The bad part is that there are not so much enemy unit types, and the interaction between what happens on screen and your music could've done better.

I found Beat Hazard in the current Humble Bundle, I paid 1 for this and other 3 games, so I actually really recommend you to get this bundle.
  31. Apr 16, 2013
    Old school arcade style gaming revamped and sexed up with awesome music. The dynamic relationship between the music and the game makes this game truly shine. Worth every penny.
  32. Aug 24, 2013
    I would say how interesting Beat Hazard was, but looking back it's all just a blur.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Beat Hazard, but the reason I did was purely because of my childhood. As a kid when I listened to music it was on a desktop PC with the visualizer on. I loved those screens and their fun transitions and colors.

So that brings us to this game. Beat Hazard. It's
    a visualizer with spaceships and lasers and such. You control a space ship, and play a game very similar to Asteroids, you can move your ship, and you shoot at others.

I'm finding words hard to think of.
    How about this: There is a warning at the beginning that says if you're sensitive to intense bright and flashing lights you best beware of the game, no refunds. But that's prompted... somewhere in the steam store page I think.

Before you start a song (which you can use songs from your library) you will be given options to change the difficulty, visual intensity, and your set perks. The perks system is a bit ham-handed and forced in (or at least it feels like it) basically just changing the pickups or certain multipliers you get at the start of a session.
    Speaking of, the level up system is just for score purpose, so it doesn't really feel needed, since there's other ways to measure your score.

There are no true pickups besides bombs, so fans of contra-style pickups will be disappointed for certain.

But for all of the cons for the game, I keep coming back for more, so I'm not really sure what to do here. If you're on the fence, I suggest you wait for a sale, you aren't missing much.
  33. Sep 26, 2013
    I like spaceshooters and i like music games. But this game doesn't really saitsfy me in any way.
    The music hardly shows any effect on gameplay and the gameplay itself is basicly trying to not turn blind by the amount of effects gooing on.
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with it'S difficulcy and i really like pretty effects. But it'S just way too much. Imho it's hardly playable
    at some parts.
    If you want to play your music better go for Audiosurf. And if you want a spaceshooter, choose a different one.
  34. Nov 20, 2013
    I get how people can like these games; but they're just not for me! There is something quite nostalgic about the look and feel of this game and thankfully it isn't one of those modern adaptations of a pixelated 8-BIT games! The game is fuelled by your music and you steer your spaceship and shoot things... Very simple concept but it just isn't enough for me! If you do enjoy the classic style games then this is very likely up your alley, because it’s a very good looking game and the visual effects are pretty stunning! Unfortunately no matter what game mode you choose they all just appear to be the same, I guess I just expect more variation from titles like these! Expand

1. With some new social features, online play, or even some adjustments that more closely tie in the arrangement of enemies with the pace of the music, Beat Hazard's value could ascend well beyond the $10 asking price.
  2. This dual-stick shooter gives you a fun new way to listen to your favorite bands.
    Beat Hazard is a rather traditional Asteroids clone, with the fun addition that your own music can influence the game. Whoever thinks this suffices, will enjoy this game as a way to pass the time. However, the game does not contain the originality we have expected from indie games, and the influence of your own music could’ve been way better.