7.7

1. Nov 12, 2013
    Short for a $15 game, but then again, it's Bioshock. It's not about the length of the game, it's about the quality.

I would rather have a quality A+, polished game, than a long and unfinished one.

This is definitely worth the purchuse
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    I see that Irrational's devs and advertisers are already doing their stuff, as usual waiting for user scoring to unlock to praise their DLC from their mediocre "Game of the Year", that "perfection", that "master-piece after which you won't play anything else, I swear, just BUY IT and you'll see".... Not on my watch!
  3. Nov 21, 2013
    As a matter of fact, it was really nice to revisit Rapture, and had a good time playing it. But when it comes to value, the thing is quite different. It's really short (completed in less than 3 hours playing on hard), doesn't bring anything new in terms of gameplay, uses the same cosmetics and mechanics of Infinity and essentially doesn't add to or clarify much of the Bioshock universe. ItAs a matter of fact, it was really nice to revisit Rapture, and had a good time playing it. But when it comes to value, the thing is quite different. It's really short (completed in less than 3 hours playing on hard), doesn't bring anything new in terms of gameplay, uses the same cosmetics and mechanics of Infinity and essentially doesn't add to or clarify much of the Bioshock universe. It probably could be released as one single story rather than broken into pieces/episodes, or it could be quite more cheaper.

Funny, but not enough.
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    It could have been a great new adventure in rapture but falls very short. On the positive it pulls strings of narrative from all three games into the dialogue and environment ensuring any fan feels catered to. However the game is somewhat gutted; you can no longer lock pick or hack and a half hearted effort to implement skylines does really work. The game has an interesting story andIt could have been a great new adventure in rapture but falls very short. On the positive it pulls strings of narrative from all three games into the dialogue and environment ensuring any fan feels catered to. However the game is somewhat gutted; you can no longer lock pick or hack and a half hearted effort to implement skylines does really work. The game has an interesting story and builds well however the episode is over in 2 hours of game play. I would have given this a 7/10 if the game had a few more hours but felt really cheated at just how short this episode was. Zero replay ability. Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2015
    Simply sets the scene for Episode Two and reviewing this by itself doesn't actually make a huge amount of sense.

As a stand alone DLC it's fairly bad but as said, it exists for a specific reason.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    This game does not scratch the rapture itch. I don't understand why there are skyhooks and why plasmids are named after vigors. But in the end, it's a good way to kill 2 hours, but not for $15.
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    A decent DLC, it was great to get back to Rapture, but the story twists did not seem so fresh after the original Infinite's ending and I didn't have that WOW effect from the "shocking" ending. I hope that the best part of this side-story is being kept for Episode 2.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    I had a lot of fun with Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, but this leaves me with the unpleasant feeling of being milked like a cow. 15 bucks euros for a less than 2-hour long adventure, seriously?

Sure, it's pleasant to see Rapture again, especially an alive Rapture. But that's only for a few minutes, then we're back to the original Bioshock experience, only with the updated weapons, graphics, and metaphysical shenanigans of Infinite.

That DLC is shockingly short and is unnecessarily hard due to a perpetual lack of ammo and eve. It was fine in the original Bioshock as most ennemies engaged in melee combat anyway, but here, ennemies have guns and take cover, while you're stuck with your empty clip waiting for Elizabeth to throw you something so you can keep fighting.

The attempt to elaborate on the voluntarily confusing ending of Infinite is fine, but it will quickly become old if it's not done better in the rest of this mini-series.

In the end, if you're a fan of the Bioshock series and are ok with a poor return on investment just to get a fix, then you're up for a mildly satisfactory exprience. Otherwise, Burial at sea can be skipped without to much regret.
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's short. I explored every ounce of each map, got every piece of currency, looted every body, heard every npc's banter, collected all the audiologs, collected all the upgrade potions, unlocked all (but one) locks, and the game lasted me about an hour and forty five minutes.

The story was pretty weak. The greatest thing Burial At Sea had going was it’s prettiness and awesome prologue rapture scenery.

The ending undoes everything you’ve done in the main story. The explanation some people suggest where “this comstock didn’t become the prophet so he wasn’t stopped by booker’s sacrifice” is fairly nonsensical.

You’re forgetting that the burial at sea comstock still created Columbia and the only way for him to have done that is to have been made evil/mentally damaged by being baptized. (according to what the main game lead you to believe) No baptizm no columbia no interdimensional machine; this is what we know from the main game. Also, if he already had a daughter, he had no clear reason to need to steal another daughter. Of course we could make up reasons, but that isn’t our job. It’s the writers job to at least allude to motives and character’s nature throughout the story not to leave it all up to us to invent on our own. I’d just write my own book then. Don’t get me wrong, I love some creative freedom, mystery, or room for imagination, but this is too much at once without any justification or explanation.

Overall, if the writer’s let us know that one comstock still exists and still made columbia and still made the interdimensional machine, then NOTHING was solved from the first game. The baptism had NOTHING to do with booker becoming comstock and there are INFINITE other comstocks that made columbia which lead to the interdimensional machine which leads to him stealing elizabeth. Suddenly you start to not care about individual comstocks because, lo, they don't matter. Elizabeth knew this in the main game which is why she had the plan to stop all comstocks instead of killing just one. Suddenly she has forgotten this and has resorted to brutally murdering other comstocks in an inefficient and roundabout manner? You don’t even have to think that hard to feel this way; confused and meaningless is exactly how the story immediately presents itself to you.

Not worth the money.
  10. Nov 18, 2013
    Didn't learn anything new. Didn't see anything impressive. Didn't know that this would be 30 min to 2 hours long. Didn't like fighting the same enemies over and over again. Only thing that was interesting was what everyone had to say to Booker. And why he was in Rapture. The ending is a weak-sauce ending that is laughable considering how much I paid for this. Only the Fanboys who hold thisDidn't learn anything new. Didn't see anything impressive. Didn't know that this would be 30 min to 2 hours long. Didn't like fighting the same enemies over and over again. Only thing that was interesting was what everyone had to say to Booker. And why he was in Rapture. The ending is a weak-sauce ending that is laughable considering how much I paid for this. Only the Fanboys who hold this above their heads as the great gift from their god Ken Levine. Not worth 15$. Does not get how this is episode one in a series though.

The reason why there is no life in this review is because this DLC can be considered dead and makes me feel dead just talking about it. And as always BIOSHOCK INFINITE chooses to follow plot instead of character.
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    jeg bliver sku skuffet at de laver det på den her måde fedt spil men en lorte dårlige sluning og der er kun 2-3 timer spil i det og det lyder som om de kun har lavet den her dlc eller de her dlcer som kommer er kun for at for flere penge

I am disappointed that they're doing it this way great game but bad sluning and there are only 2-3 hours of play in it. and it sounds like they only made ​​this dlc or here dlcer which comes only to more Money
  12. Nov 15, 2013
    I was going to say this was short for 15 dollars but this is where DLC is at today. It took me about 3 hours to finish this and that's about on par with some other DLC I've bought in the past for that price point. The game is still great quality as the original but I feel like alot of the impact here is lost on someone who has not played the first Bioshock. There's alot of nostalgicI was going to say this was short for 15 dollars but this is where DLC is at today. It took me about 3 hours to finish this and that's about on par with some other DLC I've bought in the past for that price point. The game is still great quality as the original but I feel like alot of the impact here is lost on someone who has not played the first Bioshock. There's alot of nostalgic moments in the game but there's also a feeling here like they worked too hard to try and bring back those fond memories of the first Bioshock and didn't let the game grow into something on its own. Everything else is the same here as in Infinite, from the gunplay to the vigors, it's all here. People will complain about the length all they want when this is about how long DLC is nowadays. But I'm very glad this is an episode one because, while it was obviously going to end on a cliffhanger, the motivations for a couple of the characters was nowhere near explained. At any rate, people who liked Infinite will like this DLC pack. It won't convert anyone who didn't like Infinite but it does it's job nonetheless. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    Decent enough, but very short and it almost feels like it was only made as fan service for BioShock 1 fans. i'm in the relative minority that didn't like BS1 yet loved Infinite, so this almost feels like a step backwards for me. Rapture still is not very fun to me even with the improved Infinite gameplay. The story reveals absolutely nothing in the context of the main game's story whichDecent enough, but very short and it almost feels like it was only made as fan service for BioShock 1 fans. i'm in the relative minority that didn't like BS1 yet loved Infinite, so this almost feels like a step backwards for me. Rapture still is not very fun to me even with the improved Infinite gameplay. The story reveals absolutely nothing in the context of the main game's story which was a bit of a let down, but i'm hoping that part 2 will tie it together nicely. Also as others have said it is very, very short. Took me 1 and a half hours and that was even with searching every corner of the map for items. I really would've preferred DLC in Columbia again. This DLC is not "bad" by any means it's just so shockingly average for the game that it is supporting. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    Short, stunted, and silly.
    Short, stunted, and silly.
    For those fans of the franchise who DIDN'T spend several days after finishing Bioshock Infinite grumbling about how stupid the storyline/ending were, add +1 to the rating. For those who did it's more of the same here. The only thing that saves this being a complete waste is getting to see Rapture before the New Year's revolt. It's beautifully imagined, though you don't get to see any of your old haunts. It's also very tightly controlled, and you'll find Elizabeth hounding you repeatedly to follow the storyline if you try to explore.

Unless you play it on 1999 difficulty, it won't take more than a couple of hours in which time you'll find yourself wondering why the developers decided to make ammunition so hard to come by and impossible to stay stocked (2 clip max) while also giving players tons of money so they could keep stopping to buy more from a vending machine. You'll also find numerous small rooms where you will be trapped when Elizabeth follows you in and then can't be moved so you can exit, and when you do complete the very obvious "finale," you'll be treated to an ending pretty much as silly as the core game maybe worse.
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    You either love Bioshock Infinite (BI) or not; it's hard to hate since the world is so very beautiful. So many people love the story but I find it convoluted, especially if you consider that the backstory is only accessible by listening to audio "voxophone" playback devices, amounting essentially to a voice-over that you must search out and then suspend gameplay (and, of course,You either love Bioshock Infinite (BI) or not; it's hard to hate since the world is so very beautiful. So many people love the story but I find it convoluted, especially if you consider that the backstory is only accessible by listening to audio "voxophone" playback devices, amounting essentially to a voice-over that you must search out and then suspend gameplay (and, of course, disbelief). No hope of understanding the story without doing so and even still that story is very convoluted.

More of the same here. The world is still very beautiful and that is still the biggest selling point. Fans of BI will not need convincing but if you were on the border about BI you will probably be disappointed with Burial at Sea 1 and could pass or wait until the price falls low enough to justify the disappointment.
  16. Dec 31, 2013
    It really explains the story well and it is very well made, but it only took me an hour and a half to beat. This expansion takes what you already knew about infinite and helps relate it to the rest of the bioshock world.
  17. Nov 19, 2013
    Absolutely dreadful and lazy. They promise Rapture and try to force Columbia into it, using the same items as before just calling SALTS Eve now. There are no real splicers in the game, the splicers bear few deformities, some not at all, and rather than appearing as people who were once members of the city, they are scavengers. The entire style of Rapture is absolutely ruined and is notAbsolutely dreadful and lazy. They promise Rapture and try to force Columbia into it, using the same items as before just calling SALTS Eve now. There are no real splicers in the game, the splicers bear few deformities, some not at all, and rather than appearing as people who were once members of the city, they are scavengers. The entire style of Rapture is absolutely ruined and is not the same in the least bit. It defies canon also mostly taking place in a sunken part of the city, but for a piece of the city to be sunk it would be cut off from Arcadia providing all of the oxygen, therefore would not be functioning. Sander Cohen is brought back and his style is ruined and for some odd reason has something to do with Little Sisters when he would never be in charge of such a thing. Suchong makes several audio diaries of which do not talk about plasmids, so that is out of place for his recordings. They over advertise a new Plasmid that is actually just like a level 3 Frost Blast. A new weapon is added, the Radar Range which is ripped from early designs of the Xcom game and is a bit overpowered. The tears and such are back which should have no place in Rapture, Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine do not even have any recordings, there is barely anything of the two in the game, and for some odd reason there are sky hooks in Rapture and even a few rails. Rapture is dead, they have just killed the once beautiful city of Andrew Ryan. If you liked Bioshock Infinite get it, if you actually loved real Bioshock and loved Rapture you will be furious. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2013
    Burial at Sea is interesting and enjoyable, but it has a lot working against it. Let's start with the good. It's great visiting Rapture again (the Booker in this specific setting is sort of an alternate reality Booker), and the atmosphere and visuals are, as always, wonderful. The storyline is interesting, and sets itself up with a cliffhanger for the next episode. Aaaaand... that'sBurial at Sea is interesting and enjoyable, but it has a lot working against it. Let's start with the good. It's great visiting Rapture again (the Booker in this specific setting is sort of an alternate reality Booker), and the atmosphere and visuals are, as always, wonderful. The storyline is interesting, and sets itself up with a cliffhanger for the next episode. Aaaaand... that's about it, really. Depending on how you play, Burial at Sea can be extremely short, maybe 2 hours if you're more action oriented. I explored every area (particularly the beginning segment) and got around 3. That ties in to the next minus, the price. $15 is way too much to buy this thing piecemeal. I don't know whether it's an encouragement to buy the season pass or not, but if you plan on getting any of the DLC, the season pass is the way to go. I myself got the season pass when it was 50% off a while ago. Bottom line, what you're getting is quite good, but you're not exactly getting a lot for your money. Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2013
    Currently crash city. Nothing seems to help. Can't even comment on the quality of the game itself, aside from the fact that the crashes don't give you the feeling it's been made with much care. I'm running an AMD 6850 with current drivers apparently even with the damn game made with AMD tech in mind the game manages to crash. Already hearing some middling things about this DLC. With thatCurrently crash city. Nothing seems to help. Can't even comment on the quality of the game itself, aside from the fact that the crashes don't give you the feeling it's been made with much care. I'm running an AMD 6850 with current drivers apparently even with the damn game made with AMD tech in mind the game manages to crash. Already hearing some middling things about this DLC. With that combination? I'm getting that sinking feeling I shouldn't have dished out for the season pass.... Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2013
    So, when playing really throroughly and checking out every nook and cranny Burial at Sea took me 3.5h. Kinda nice, but it was really very lazed out.
    As I love Bioshock Infinite and Elizabeth and co, it wasn't that what I thought it might be. I actually didn't feel much plot along the way. Hadn't really had any urge to find that Sally. Nothing much like Infinite. Not very much emotions.
    And unfortunately game is very buggy. I had to reload checkpoints twice as I encountered never-ending spinning doors. And sometimes Elizabeth was disappearing and only unlocking doors and safes was bringing her magically back.
    But like in every Bioshock game this I must say there's a killer ending. But if you will like it or not is up to you. It was a bomb, but I'm not sure I like it like I liked Infinite's one.
    But it's surely one of the highest points of this DLC. 7 from me because in Poland we had Season Pass for free if you bought the game at premiere. But I wouldn't pay for it 15$ that's for sure. It's still too short and buggy considering the time they were producing it.
  21. Dec 13, 2013
    Wow, are you kidding me, $20 for a "season" pass for this way too short DLC! (Only took me a few hours to finish). Levels are not that interesting, etc. Story was good, but gameplay was just over-used same-old same-old. No originality. I hope number two is way longer and more original and challenging. It just seems like ever since the original BioShock 1, the team has been trying toWow, are you kidding me, $20 for a "season" pass for this way too short DLC! (Only took me a few hours to finish). Levels are not that interesting, etc. Story was good, but gameplay was just over-used same-old same-old. No originality. I hope number two is way longer and more original and challenging. It just seems like ever since the original BioShock 1, the team has been trying to capture the same "lightning in a bottle". This is typically the case in MANY franchises that try to crank out sequel after sequel. After this I'm doing buying into this series, peace out! Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    Burial At Sea has a great story and still makes Rapture interesting. You can explore the area of Rapture that is still same and on the rise while also visiting a destroyed sunken area filled with splicers. This features the air grabber (skyhook) and drinkable plasmids. Overall the game was short, but had a great story. It costs $15 but with the season pass which costs $20 you can get bothBurial At Sea has a great story and still makes Rapture interesting. You can explore the area of Rapture that is still same and on the rise while also visiting a destroyed sunken area filled with splicers. This features the air grabber (skyhook) and drinkable plasmids. Overall the game was short, but had a great story. It costs $15 but with the season pass which costs $20 you can get both episodes (when the second comes out) and Clash in the Clouds. This game was great but I would recommend getting the Season Pass for this. Expand
  23. Rem
    Nov 12, 2013
    Burial at Sea may have the familiar treadings of Infinite, but if you loved Columbia and Rapture, you get both in one sweet deal. Combat is more focused this time around and seeing Rapture at its peak of prosperity makes this game already worth the price of admission. I only wish it was a bit more different in its mechanics. I can't wait for Part 2.
  24. Nov 12, 2013
    This truly is a treat for fans of Bioshock Infinite. The visuals are gorgeous, never has Rapture looked better. The inventory system is tweaked slightly to give the DLC a unique feel, bridging the gap between Bioshock 1 and Infinite. My only gripe is the length. My playthrough lasted about 3 hours or so, but by no means am I complaining. One can only wish for more when the quality of aThis truly is a treat for fans of Bioshock Infinite. The visuals are gorgeous, never has Rapture looked better. The inventory system is tweaked slightly to give the DLC a unique feel, bridging the gap between Bioshock 1 and Infinite. My only gripe is the length. My playthrough lasted about 3 hours or so, but by no means am I complaining. One can only wish for more when the quality of a piece of dlc is so good. Expand
  25. Nov 12, 2013
    Really liked the game-play, really liked the graphics, but it only took me an 1.5 hours to finish it, and personally i did not like the ending at all. I would say get it, but not right now while it is 15 bucks, get it when it is on sale. (i bought the season pack so i saved a little)
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    I really loved bioshock burial at sea part one. The game was perhaps a bit too short, but on the whole quite wonderful. Have really been looking forward to coming back to rapture and experience the feelings you had after the first bioshock. Can never understand how amazed I get at how these games can catch my interest.

Now we can only wait expectantly until part 2 of bury at sea.
  27. Nov 12, 2013
    The entire DLC actually feels quite different from any Bioshock the pre-fall rapture has a much more modern feel, while the department store has a lot more of a horror element than seen anywhere in Infinite.. A lot of the plot doesn't quite go along quite well, but the minor references to Infinite and the amazing ending made this a nice little escape. Don't expect too much it took me 3The entire DLC actually feels quite different from any Bioshock the pre-fall rapture has a much more modern feel, while the department store has a lot more of a horror element than seen anywhere in Infinite.. A lot of the plot doesn't quite go along quite well, but the minor references to Infinite and the amazing ending made this a nice little escape. Don't expect too much it took me 3 hours, and I didn't find much replay value. Also, consider buying the season pass instead, as the $15 price is a little bit hefty. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    It is awesome to be back in Rapture and see the city with all new graphics.Also you can enjoy a great story.Maybe the lenght is a problem but this is just a DLC not an entire game.This is an addition which will let you enjoy again the beautiful gameplay of the one of the greatest games in this year and why not one of the greatest games in history of gaming.
  29. Nov 16, 2013
    Yes It's 15 dollars or euros in Europe but whatever.Dlc feels just right in its new home.If you don't like the price buy the season pass which surely is better.I know it I did it.Plus you get a glimpse of what Rapture was once before fall If you're a fan you surely going to buy it
  30. May 16, 2014
    If you care about the story at all DO NOT BUY THESE DLCS. They have bits that are internally inconsistent and completely ruin it... not to mention the ending is complete crap.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 30, 2013
    The high price and lack of polish make this one to avoid for now. For art-deco die-hards only. [Jan 2014, p.93]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 28, 2013
    Short but generous trip into the underwater city of Rapture with all the perks we know from Infinite. This DLC benefits from an attractive setting and slower paced action. [Issue#237]
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    A promising start? A rather cautious one. The return to Rapture evades déjà vu feelings, but it doesn't deliver more than a spark of curiosity for its fans.