7.8

1. Nov 12, 2013
    Short for a $15 game, but then again, it's Bioshock. It's not about the length of the game, it's about the quality.

I would rather have a quality A+, polished game, than a long and unfinished one.

This is definitely worth the purchuse
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    I see that Irrational's devs and advertisers are already doing their stuff, as usual waiting for user scoring to unlock to praise their DLC from their mediocre "Game of the Year", that "perfection", that "master-piece after which you won't play anything else, I swear, just BUY IT and you'll see".... Not on my watch!
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    Absolutely dreadful and lazy. They promise Rapture and try to force Columbia into it, using the same items as before just calling SALTS Eve now. There are no real splicers in the game, the splicers bear few deformities, some not at all, and rather than appearing as people who were once members of the city, they are scavengers. The entire style of Rapture is absolutely ruined and is not the same in the least bit. It defies canon also mostly taking place in a sunken part of the city, but for a piece of the city to be sunk it would be cut off from Arcadia providing all of the oxygen, therefore would not be functioning. Sander Cohen is brought back and his style is ruined and for some odd reason has something to do with Little Sisters when he would never be in charge of such a thing. Suchong makes several audio diaries of which do not talk about plasmids, so that is out of place for his recordings. They over advertise a new Plasmid that is actually just like a level 3 Frost Blast. A new weapon is added, the Radar Range which is ripped from early designs of the Xcom game and is a bit overpowered. The tears and such are back which should have no place in Rapture, Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine do not even have any recordings, there is barely anything of the two in the game, and for some odd reason there are sky hooks in Rapture and even a few rails. Rapture is dead, they have just killed the once beautiful city of Andrew Ryan. If you liked Bioshock Infinite get it, if you actually loved real Bioshock and loved Rapture you will be furious. Expand
  4. Nov 12, 2013
    Burial At Sea has a great story and still makes Rapture interesting. You can explore the area of Rapture that is still same and on the rise while also visiting a destroyed sunken area filled with splicers. This features the air grabber (skyhook) and drinkable plasmids. Overall the game was short, but had a great story. It costs $15 but with the season pass which costs $20 you can get both episodes (when the second comes out) and Clash in the Clouds. This game was great but I would recommend getting the Season Pass for this. Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2013
    This truly is a treat for fans of Bioshock Infinite. The visuals are gorgeous, never has Rapture looked better. The inventory system is tweaked slightly to give the DLC a unique feel, bridging the gap between Bioshock 1 and Infinite. My only gripe is the length. My playthrough lasted about 3 hours or so, but by no means am I complaining. One can only wish for more when the quality of a piece of dlc is so good. Expand
  6. Rem
    Nov 12, 2013
    Burial at Sea may have the familiar treadings of Infinite, but if you loved Columbia and Rapture, you get both in one sweet deal. Combat is more focused this time around and seeing Rapture at its peak of prosperity makes this game already worth the price of admission. I only wish it was a bit more different in its mechanics. I can't wait for Part 2.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. It's short. I explored every ounce of each map, got every piece of currency, looted every body, heard every npc's banter, collected all the audiologs, collected all the upgrade potions, unlocked all (but one) locks, and the game lasted me about an hour and forty five minutes.

The story was pretty weak. The greatest thing Burial At Sea had going was it’s prettiness and awesome prologue rapture scenery.

The ending undoes everything you’ve done in the main story. The explanation some people suggest where “this comstock didn’t become the prophet so he wasn’t stopped by booker’s sacrifice” is fairly nonsensical.

You’re forgetting that the burial at sea comstock still created Columbia and the only way for him to have done that is to have been made evil/mentally damaged by being baptized. (according to what the main game lead you to believe) No baptizm no columbia no interdimensional machine; this is what we know from the main game. Also, if he already had a daughter, he had no clear reason to need to steal another daughter. Of course we could make up reasons, but that isn’t our job. It’s the writers job to at least allude to motives and character’s nature throughout the story not to leave it all up to us to invent on our own. I’d just write my own book then. Don’t get me wrong, I love some creative freedom, mystery, or room for imagination, but this is too much at once without any justification or explanation.

Overall, if the writer’s let us know that one comstock still exists and still made columbia and still made the interdimensional machine, then NOTHING was solved from the first game. The baptism had NOTHING to do with booker becoming comstock and there are INFINITE other comstocks that made columbia which lead to the interdimensional machine which leads to him stealing elizabeth. Suddenly you start to not care about individual comstocks because, lo, they don't matter. Elizabeth knew this in the main game which is why she had the plan to stop all comstocks instead of killing just one. Suddenly she has forgotten this and has resorted to brutally murdering other comstocks in an inefficient and roundabout manner? You don’t even have to think that hard to feel this way; confused and meaningless is exactly how the story immediately presents itself to you.

Not worth the money.
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    Really liked the game-play, really liked the graphics, but it only took me an 1.5 hours to finish it, and personally i did not like the ending at all. I would say get it, but not right now while it is 15 bucks, get it when it is on sale. (i bought the season pack so i saved a little)
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    Didn't learn anything new. Didn't see anything impressive. Didn't know that this would be 30 min to 2 hours long. Didn't like fighting the same enemies over and over again. Only thing that was interesting was what everyone had to say to Booker. And why he was in Rapture. The ending is a weak-sauce ending that is laughable considering how much I paid for this. Only the Fanboys who hold this above their heads as the great gift from their god Ken Levine. Not worth 15$. Does not get how this is episode one in a series though.

The reason why there is no life in this review is because this DLC can be considered dead and makes me feel dead just talking about it. And as always BIOSHOCK INFINITE chooses to follow plot instead of character.
  10. Nov 16, 2013
    jeg bliver sku skuffet at de laver det på den her måde fedt spil men en lorte dårlige sluning og der er kun 2-3 timer spil i det og det lyder som om de kun har lavet den her dlc eller de her dlcer som kommer er kun for at for flere penge

I am disappointed that they're doing it this way great game but bad sluning and there are only 2-3 hours of play in it. and it sounds like they only
    made ​​this dlc or here dlcer which comes only to more Money Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2013
    After completing the amazing Bishock Infinite (Definitely a contender so far for GOTY, even with next gen consoles) and seeing the first 5 minuets gameplay for this game I was hooked. The download size was around 5.4 gigs on the pc version, which means its all new assets and tons of detail into the environment.

It was really awesome going back to rapture and the story of this DLC makes
    sense as you progress through it and have beaten Infinite previously. Not going to mention any story spoilers, but the audio-logs and ending of this dlc was well worth the price of 10 dollars (assuming you get the season pass).

Best addition to the gameplay is that you can carry all your weapons again and they introduce one new weapon that uses microwaves to explode enemies. Its really satisfying killing off enemies with this and the random vigor combinations with this weapon to pull off crazy chains of death. Along with that new weapon they added a new Plasmid (Vigor) that freezes enemies and can shatter them if you do enough damage.

Another cool addition to the gameplay is the addition to allow you to stealth kill enemies. I know infinite had some of it, but since these are closed off corridors and not as open as Columbia it allows for trap setting and stealth melee attacking. You can even run away after killing an enemy and loose the aggro of them and can sneak up again if you follow their pathing. I found myself doing this a lot at the start of the DLC and it definitely added some survivability in 1999 mode when I had very limited ammo.

To the length of this dlc, it took me around 3-4 hours to beat it on 1999 mode (including restarting at checkpoints), which if you played non-1999 mode it would be around 3 hours or so to complete it. This completely overshadows the common “90 minuets” of gameplay that critics are trying to pass off. It feels to me that they just spammed through the game without exploring at all and actually enjoying the experience.

This also doesn't even include a second playthrough that I will do for an achievement mop up that will make the dlc even more longer (but I know some people don't enjoy that, so it wasn't included as the overall time).

This is the only season pass I have bought for a game and it has been well worth it so far. If you exclude the clash in the clouds (Some people don’t enjoy it and it isn’t story based), it ends up costing 10 dollars for the first and second episode. I felt like I got more than my 10 dollars worth for this episode and since this is supposed to be the shorter of the two story dlc's, the season pass is an actual good investment (as opposed to most season passes these days >_>).

Buy, Pass or Rent:
    An absolute buy

~ Nishi, 11/13
  12. Nov 12, 2013
    Currently crash city. Nothing seems to help. Can't even comment on the quality of the game itself, aside from the fact that the crashes don't give you the feeling it's been made with much care. I'm running an AMD 6850 with current drivers apparently even with the damn game made with AMD tech in mind the game manages to crash. Already hearing some middling things about this DLC. With that combination? I'm getting that sinking feeling I shouldn't have dished out for the season pass.... Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    I really loved bioshock burial at sea part one. The game was perhaps a bit too short, but on the whole quite wonderful. Have really been looking forward to coming back to rapture and experience the feelings you had after the first bioshock. Can never understand how amazed I get at how these games can catch my interest.

Now we can only wait expectantly until part 2 of bury at sea.
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    So, when playing really throroughly and checking out every nook and cranny Burial at Sea took me 3.5h. Kinda nice, but it was really very lazed out.
    As I love Bioshock Infinite and Elizabeth and co, it wasn't that what I thought it might be. I actually didn't feel much plot along the way. Hadn't really had any urge to find that Sally. Nothing much like Infinite. Not very much emotions.

And unfortunately game is very buggy. I had to reload checkpoints twice as I encountered never-ending spinning doors. And sometimes Elizabeth was disappearing and only unlocking doors and safes was bringing her magically back.
    But like in every Bioshock game this I must say there's a killer ending. But if you will like it or not is up to you. It was a bomb, but I'm not sure I like it like I liked Infinite's one.
    But it's surely one of the highest points of this DLC. 7 from me because in Poland we had Season Pass for free if you bought the game at premiere. But I wouldn't pay for it 15$ that's for sure. It's still too short and buggy considering the time they were producing it.
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    Absolutely stunning gameplay. I am on my toes and waiting for the second episode. The Bioshock Infinite team is able to create a masterpiece within gaming. I would definitely say this DLC is worth it.
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    Wow, are you kidding me, $20 for a "season" pass for this way too short DLC! (Only took me a few hours to finish). Levels are not that interesting, etc. Story was good, but gameplay was just over-used same-old same-old. No originality. I hope number two is way longer and more original and challenging. It just seems like ever since the original BioShock 1, the team has been trying to capture the same "lightning in a bottle". This is typically the case in MANY franchises that try to crank out sequel after sequel. After this I'm doing buying into this series, peace out! Expand
  17. Nov 17, 2013
    This game does not scratch the rapture itch. I don't understand why there are skyhooks and why plasmids are named after vigors. But in the end, it's a good way to kill 2 hours, but not for $15.
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    I keep reading here and there that this DLC is only a couple of hours long. It took me 5 hours to complete it.

Okay if you rush from one objective to the next the game can last even less than an hour but if you give it the time it deserves, the time to admire its fantastic world design, somptuous work on lighting and tones, the time to hunt for its many secrets (the DLC offering more
    optional content than ever before) then you cannot be disappointed.

The joy of Bioshock (and System Shock) has always been in the exploration of its world and the appreciation of the exceptional craft displayed in all its constituent parts. In that regard, Burial at Sea delivers a fantastic audiovisual experience with a level of polish rarely seen in the industry, especially for a DLC.

If you like Bioshock, you absolutely have to play this game. You may find it's too short but only because it's so good that you'll want it to last forever.
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    Burial at Sea is interesting and enjoyable, but it has a lot working against it. Let's start with the good. It's great visiting Rapture again (the Booker in this specific setting is sort of an alternate reality Booker), and the atmosphere and visuals are, as always, wonderful. The storyline is interesting, and sets itself up with a cliffhanger for the next episode. Aaaaand... that's about it, really. Depending on how you play, Burial at Sea can be extremely short, maybe 2 hours if you're more action oriented. I explored every area (particularly the beginning segment) and got around 3. That ties in to the next minus, the price. $15 is way too much to buy this thing piecemeal. I don't know whether it's an encouragement to buy the season pass or not, but if you plan on getting any of the DLC, the season pass is the way to go. I myself got the season pass when it was 50% off a while ago. Bottom line, what you're getting is quite good, but you're not exactly getting a lot for your money. Expand
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    I was going to say this was short for 15 dollars but this is where DLC is at today. It took me about 3 hours to finish this and that's about on par with some other DLC I've bought in the past for that price point. The game is still great quality as the original but I feel like alot of the impact here is lost on someone who has not played the first Bioshock. There's alot of nostalgic moments in the game but there's also a feeling here like they worked too hard to try and bring back those fond memories of the first Bioshock and didn't let the game grow into something on its own. Everything else is the same here as in Infinite, from the gunplay to the vigors, it's all here. People will complain about the length all they want when this is about how long DLC is nowadays. But I'm very glad this is an episode one because, while it was obviously going to end on a cliffhanger, the motivations for a couple of the characters was nowhere near explained. At any rate, people who liked Infinite will like this DLC pack. It won't convert anyone who didn't like Infinite but it does it's job nonetheless. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    A decent DLC, it was great to get back to Rapture, but the story twists did not seem so fresh after the original Infinite's ending and I didn't have that WOW effect from the "shocking" ending. I hope that the best part of this side-story is being kept for Episode 2.
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    Its not bad Its not either great We were promised an alive rapture but everything i see again is just arcade shooting room to room Since its only the first episode i cant tell anything bad for the storyline...yet Hopefuly i wont have too Everything else reminds bioshock infinite as it should and works fine I found some bugs but i am sure they will be fixed Not something i would spend 15 right now but still i found it good Expand
  23. Nov 17, 2013
    I had a lot of fun with Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, but this leaves me with the unpleasant feeling of being milked like a cow. 15 bucks euros for a less than 2-hour long adventure, seriously?

Sure, it's pleasant to see Rapture again, especially an alive Rapture. But that's only for a few minutes, then we're back to the original Bioshock experience, only with the updated weapons,
    graphics, and metaphysical shenanigans of Infinite.

That DLC is shockingly short and is unnecessarily hard due to a perpetual lack of ammo and eve. It was fine in the original Bioshock as most ennemies engaged in melee combat anyway, but here, ennemies have guns and take cover, while you're stuck with your empty clip waiting for Elizabeth to throw you something so you can keep fighting.

The attempt to elaborate on the voluntarily confusing ending of Infinite is fine, but it will quickly become old if it's not done better in the rest of this mini-series.

In the end, if you're a fan of the Bioshock series and are ok with a poor return on investment just to get a fix, then you're up for a mildly satisfactory exprience. Otherwise, Burial at sea can be skipped without to much regret.
  24. Nov 12, 2013
    The entire DLC actually feels quite different from any Bioshock the pre-fall rapture has a much more modern feel, while the department store has a lot more of a horror element than seen anywhere in Infinite.. A lot of the plot doesn't quite go along quite well, but the minor references to Infinite and the amazing ending made this a nice little escape. Don't expect too much it took me 3 hours, and I didn't find much replay value. Also, consider buying the season pass instead, as the $15 price is a little bit hefty. Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    It is awesome to be back in Rapture and see the city with all new graphics.Also you can enjoy a great story.Maybe the lenght is a problem but this is just a DLC not an entire game.This is an addition which will let you enjoy again the beautiful gameplay of the one of the greatest games in this year and why not one of the greatest games in history of gaming.
  26. Nov 12, 2013
    I first want to address the most popular topic of conversation; the length relative to the price.

I think the shortness of the game is a bit overblown. I suppose it depends what difficulty setting I played it in 1999 Mode my first run through (so accounting for being rusty) and was quite thorough making sure I got all the gear/plasmids/etc. That being said, I clocked in at just about 5
    hours.

I view the price as $10 since anyone who is a big Bioshock fan is generally planning on getting both story DLC's. In light of that price, I thought the amount of game was good a bit light, but when I compare it to many other games that are $60 and have ~$12 of campaign play and are vastly inferior story-wise and gameplay-wise I don't find this pricing particularly offensive.

Putting that issue aside, the game feels very much a continuation of Bioshock Infinite and certainly has more in common with it than Bioshock 1 or 2. This is very much Infinite in Rapture, as opposed to Bioshock 1 with some Infinite mechanics. I personally actually liked Infinite more than the predecessors, thus I'm thrilled with that being the case, but I could see how some people hoping for something else might be disappointed.

As for story, it's typical Bioshock quality, thoughtful and not without a surprise or two despite us as the audience being conditioned to expect these surprises throughout. It serves as a worthy continuation of what took place in the main game, though simply by the nature of the issues risen in the original the plot requires you to take Irrational at their word that the universe makes sense (spend too much time overthinking it and it is sure to show some holes).

In summation, the game is not perfect, but it's every bit as good as Infinite if not for the relative brevity. As noted, it's not as bad as some would have you believe if you're playing at a high difficulty and being thorough, but you could certainly speed through it in an hour and a half if you so desired. Then again, I've seen people play a game like Dark Souls in 5 hours whereas it took me almost 50 on my first play through, so it really is a matter of how you wish to play the game and how thorough you are. For these really well crafted games I take my time and enjoy the sights and sounds and would suggest you do too.
  27. Nov 13, 2013
    Decent enough, but very short and it almost feels like it was only made as fan service for BioShock 1 fans. i'm in the relative minority that didn't like BS1 yet loved Infinite, so this almost feels like a step backwards for me. Rapture still is not very fun to me even with the improved Infinite gameplay. The story reveals absolutely nothing in the context of the main game's story which was a bit of a let down, but i'm hoping that part 2 will tie it together nicely. Also as others have said it is very, very short. Took me 1 and a half hours and that was even with searching every corner of the map for items. I really would've preferred DLC in Columbia again. This DLC is not "bad" by any means it's just so shockingly average for the game that it is supporting. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2013
    Short, stunted, and silly.
    For those fans of the franchise who DIDN'T spend several days after finishing Bioshock Infinite grumbling about how stupid the storyline/ending were, add +1 to the rating. For those who did it's more of the same here. The only thing that saves this being a complete waste is getting to see Rapture before the New Year's revolt. It's beautifully imagined, though
    you don't get to see any of your old haunts. It's also very tightly controlled, and you'll find Elizabeth hounding you repeatedly to follow the storyline if you try to explore.

Unless you play it on 1999 difficulty, it won't take more than a couple of hours in which time you'll find yourself wondering why the developers decided to make ammunition so hard to come by and impossible to stay stocked (2 clip max) while also giving players tons of money so they could keep stopping to buy more from a vending machine. You'll also find numerous small rooms where you will be trapped when Elizabeth follows you in and then can't be moved so you can exit, and when you do complete the very obvious "finale," you'll be treated to an ending pretty much as silly as the core game maybe worse.
  29. Nov 17, 2013
    You either love Bioshock Infinite (BI) or not; it's hard to hate since the world is so very beautiful. So many people love the story but I find it convoluted, especially if you consider that the backstory is only accessible by listening to audio "voxophone" playback devices, amounting essentially to a voice-over that you must search out and then suspend gameplay (and, of course, disbelief). No hope of understanding the story without doing so and even still that story is very convoluted.

More of the same here. The world is still very beautiful and that is still the biggest selling point. Fans of BI will not need convincing but if you were on the border about BI you will probably be disappointed with Burial at Sea 1 and could pass or wait until the price falls low enough to justify the disappointment.
  30. Nov 14, 2013
    Burial at Sea is definitely a piece of fan service--don't bother if you haven't played Bioshock 1 as well as Bioshock Infinite. That said, it is quite a good piece of fan service. The combat is virtually the same, except that they add the weapon wheel back ala the first Bioshock. While this mechanic is welcome, I wasn't even aware of it until I looked up weapon switching online--overall the controls to switch between plasmids and weapons is finicky and poorly explained.

In terms of aesthetics and story, this offers quite a bit to Bioshock fans. It offers less character development than I was hoping for in terms of Fontaine and Ryan, but the dynamic between Booker and Elizabeth is built upon in some ways. The environments are gorgeous, and the best part of this game for me was exploring Rapture in all its glory. However, these exploratory moments do emphasize the complete lack of interaction between the player and any NPC besides Elizabeth. It's starting to become really frustrating and even immersion breaking that all of the NPCs stand still repeating one or two lines, and don't even acknowledge Booker. I hope this is improved on in the future--since combat is not Bioshock's strongest point, it would make sense to allow for more world building and character development with NPCs other than Elizabeth.

Overall I would recommend this to those who have played both Levine Bioshock games. If you haven't played these then you will still probably enjoy it, but the already steep price tag probably won't be worthwhile.
  31. Nov 12, 2013
    Well made DLC. It`s really short, and storytelling doesn`t tell much(there are more Rapture-talking and less Infinite), but it brings the things what was great in both Rapture and Columbia. It feels more like side story, but that`s why ending is so pretty nice. Normaly I could give 8/10 but in hater time, I must give 9 For BS fans, it`s a clear choice.
  32. Nov 13, 2013
    a great piece of dlc for fans of infinite and the original bioshock. the dlc is very short clocking in at around 2 hours but you could probably finish it in 90 minutes if you were rushing. Rapture looks incredible and really well polished. the way the world is, is completely engaging and fascinating. The story is really well written and of course booker and elizabeth are excellently portrayed again. the combat is very bioshocky but with the feel of the first game (limited ammo, crafty and scary enemies and an emphasis on combat. The dlc is very well worth checking out and promises to be an excellent 2 part series. Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    A good trip into the multiverse for fans of Bioshock Infinite. If you're a fan of the original Bioshock but didn't really care for Bioshock Infinite, this may not be the redeeming expansion that you were hoping for.

It's not without a few bugs either, and 1999 Mode is horribly tuned. With a lack of cover and sparse ammo you'll find yourself in a lot of brawls. Then you'll find yourself
    getting picked off in the middle of a brawl often enough to find Burial at Sea's 1999 Mode a little more frustrating than its worth.

Length is also an issue at $15 US but as part of the $20 Season Pass I have no problem justifying the cost. It was a cool little alternate look at the story of Bioshock Infinite.
  34. Nov 13, 2013
    Few stories make you feel overwhelmed. Most narratives are composed of straight-forward elements. “This and this happens and period”. In stories like Bioshock Infinite, however, that’s not the case. These indirectly tell you “No, go look for clues and figure it out! Think outside the box!” And when you figure it all out, you’re mind blown. Still, you know there are details that escape you, and there’s great curiosity triggered because of this, making you go back to find out exactly what happened. When we do this, it means the narrative has done its job. We've been engaged to it.

Having finished Burial at Sea, I’m glad to say I felt emotionally engaged to the very end. Rapture’s return is quite a solid one and it looks as beautiful as ever. Gameplay mechanics are pretty much the same as it were in Infinite, so if you enjoyed them there you will enjoy them here. This being Rapture, however, brings back that horror theme Bioshock 1 had. Ammunition is way more scarce and Eve is not so abundant. This proves even more challenging if played in 1999 mode, which should be the mode to play this in as it's the best way to get the most out of this DLC. It’s the very last minutes of this journey that, just as it was in Infinite, make the journey even more worthwhile. Just have in mind that by the end that curiosity and amazement Infinite caused upon you, if any, will be triggered once more.
  35. Nov 13, 2013
    Let me start by saying I did not have an issue with the length of this DLC as so many others have. I played on 1999 difficulty, and the scarcity of supplies caused this episode to play out in a very deliberate, considered way, more of a survival horror than the original Bioshock. It took me nearly 4 hours to complete, but I did scavenge every nook and cranny, collecting all the audio logs and savoring every detail. And there are details aplenty. Rapture redone in the Infinite engine, especially in its pre-fall splendor, is sumptuous, a stylish, smoke-filled environment that's full of character. The NPCs here are more interesting instead of everyone having one attitude "all hail the Prophet!" the denizens of Ryan's world, by philosophy, are more diverse, more intellectually keen.

Aside from scarcity and difficulty, the combat doesn't turn over any new stones. The new Old Man Winter vigor is a rehash of the freezing plasmid in the original Bioshock, and the weapons play as slight modifications to their Infinite counterparts. While introducing sky rails to Rapture seems a little forced, they do add Infinite's important dimension and thrilling immediacy to the gameplay.

I've heard the twist ending is ineffective because you know a twist is coming I'd disagree on that front as well. The content of that twist is still very surprising, even if you've braced yourself for it. It's a well thought out narrative with a few gaps that need bridging, but there's no reason not to believe they'll be covered in Episode 2, which I eagerly await.
  36. Nov 13, 2013
    Someone is concerned you. Back to pull you back to life the way it should be. I know now that I love bioshock or elizabeth lol. elizabeth in this dlc like characters from cartoon warner bros over walt disney.
  37. Nov 12, 2013
    Just finished it! The atmosphere was captivating,brings back memories of the old Rapture.Although it is short in terms of story length wise,still a great DLC.Can't wait for part 2!
  38. Nov 12, 2013
    (Review in spanish)
    Yo ya me lo he terminado en PC, casi 4 horas muy intensas (me gusta ir pausado y fijandome en todos los detalles que pueda, conseguí 16/17 diarios de sonido, para daros una idea).
    En estilo visual genial, como ya nos tienen acostumbrados, y la recreación de Rapture no puede ser mejor.
    La jugabilidad ha mejorado lo justo para que, personalmente, parezca algo fresca
    respecto a los anteriores (nuevos equipos, 1 arma nueva, y un plásmido nuevo), y la IA de los enemigos también la he notado mucho mejor.
    La historia... no quiero spoilearla, pero GUAU, no podría ser de otra manera teniendo a Ken Levine de guionista.
    En fin, excelente dlc para una obra maestra de juego.
    Y a los que os quejáis tanto de la duración... Digamos que 3 horas de la primera parte, más 3 de la segunda, son 6 horas(sin contar el tiempo que juegues al modo horda) 20 (season pass).
    6 horas son más de la mitad, me atrevería a decir 3/4 de la duración del Bioshock Infinite, el cual tenía un precio en su fecha de salida de 60 €.
    Yo no sé dónde veis el problema, en serio.
  39. Nov 12, 2013
    The first story based DLC for Bioshock: Infinite is a fantastic return to rapture. Piecing together the connections between worlds is incredibly entertaining and i cant wait for part 2.
  40. Nov 12, 2013
    Burial at Sea is in short in a great DLC for one of best games of the year. In my opinion the gameplay of Burial at sea is better then that of the main game. a perfect combination of Bioshock Infinite and Original Bioshock. While it is short it is well worth it for 15$.
  41. Nov 12, 2013
    First of all, I would love to say thanks to team of Irrational Games for bringing me back to Rapture. I cant describe how wonderful to go back to one of my favorite places in videogames world. All i can say game design and atmosphere are incredible, I made about 200 screenshots! Well done!
    I love the story. Its good to meet Booker and Elizabeth again.
    DLC is quiet harder than the game
    itself, you are suffering from a lack of ammo and large amount of damage from splicers. And its a good thing!
    So I will give this DLC 10/10, because I got everything I was expecting from this DLC. And I`m looking forward to Episode 2! The end of the Episode 1 left me so hungry for more.
  42. Nov 16, 2013
    Yes It's 15 dollars or euros in Europe but whatever.Dlc feels just right in its new home.If you don't like the price buy the season pass which surely is better.I know it I did it.Plus you get a glimpse of what Rapture was once before fall If you're a fan you surely going to buy it
  43. Nov 12, 2013
    Despite what a lot of reviews say this DLC isn't bad. It has the same look and feel that Infinite had yet set obviously in the world of Rapture. I did notice that the developers went for a more combat focused game. The story is bland and shoved under the rug most of the time. The few bits you do get to explore Rapture are great yet short lived. The combat is much harder to compensate for the lack of story. Medium is pretty challenging and the diversity of combat that the splicers bring is sporadic and chaotic. Definitely worth the money but too hyped up for its own good. Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2013
    I was ambivalent about it until the end... then I really liked it. I enjoyed the combat which has definitely been improved since infinite. I think my biggest complaints are: that since you are in Rapture, you should use the Rapture names for the plasmids (electro bolt not shock jockey), buying plasmid power-ups from gene banks and not gatherer gardens (what's up with that?), the story--there just wasn't really anything leading up to the ending (which I loved BTW), and that there aren't eve hypos. But shout out to the ever amazing Sander Cohen and Fitzgerald (Piano Explosion man) cameos. I can't wait to play episode 2! Expand
  45. Nov 14, 2013
    Summary: If your play style is to explore, listen to NPC conversations, find the hidden goodies everywhere, and stealth through levels, Burial at Sea is an excellent DLC for you. However, if your play style is to run and gun and charge through content, wait until you can get both Burial at Sea DLCs in a very cheap bundle. Also, buy the Season Pass instead of purchasing this separately.

The only complaint about this DLC is its length. Depending on your play style, you can finish it in about an hour or upwards of six hours.

For my 5.5 hour run on Hard, I rate this at 9.1. But, if I had run through it in an hour my first time, I would have rated it at 8.3.

Details on review score---
    Entertainment: 10
    It was a lot of fun seeing Rapture in its prime. The combat was more challenging than in BSI's main campaign.

Graphics: 9
    Great detail. I'm not sure if this or BSI's main campaign has the best looking UE3 content, because they're both very good.

Sound: 9
    Although the ambient sounds were good, the music was what made this stand out.

Design and Gameplay: 9
    Combat was much more challenging than in Infinite's main campaign. Although you still have a sky-hook, it's not as over powered as it was in the campaign, because the enemies seem to be able to hit you while jumping now. Also, players can carry all of the weapons they pick up now instead of the two-weapon limit in the main campaign via the new Weapon Wheel.

Game Length: 2-8
    As I said above, if you explore and sneak, this content will take you a fairly long time. If you follow the arrow and charge through quickly, it'll be over in an hour or two.
  46. Nov 13, 2013
    An excellent introduction to a promising new storyline in the amazing universe of Bioshock.

Part One of Burial At Sea sees players reincarnate Booker Dewitt, the protagonist from the original game, though now there are some notable differences to the events and locales around him.
    For starters, players are returned to Rapture, the sprawling city at the bottom of the ocean living under
    the illusion of individualism constructed by Andrew Ryan, an important figure form the original Bioshock (2007).

It is New Years Eve of 1959, and Booker is approached by a mysterious, yet familiar girl named Elizabeth. She offers you a job to which Booker feels he has some moral obligation to accept. For the sake of the mystery that Irrational Games has once again masterly crafted, I will not go into any further plot details, just know that if you were a fan of the story of Bioshock: Infinite, you will not be disappointed.

The tone of Burial at Sea is a happy medium between the original Bioshock and the sense of confinement that you felt while exploring the underwater city and also Infinite's strong opening act, and the sense of exploration you got form wandering the streets of Colombia for the first time. Keep in mind, this is before the inevitable collapse of Rapture's already fragile society which is essentially built on the idea of "every man for himself", and the populated corridors and malls of Rapture are both vivid and alive.
    This however creates a similar problem than the one present in Infinite. The introduction sequences of both games that just see you exploring and perhaps solving a little puzzle here and there, are almost how I wished the entire game would play out, however, combat is still present. The gunplay and use of powers not the games strong suit but it is the playable, as most fight sequences are rewarded with more well written dialogue pieces and story driven elements.

Though the game is rather short, it's forgivable due to the incredible quality and attention to detail that the Bioshock series is synonymous with. If you truly want to dive deep into the environment and find all the collectibles, this may take around 3 hours to complete, having said that, this is but one part of a DLC, so length isn't that relative.

The first part of Burial at Sea is a fantastic start to the story driven DLC of Bioshock: Infinite, and I await the conclusion with much anticipation.
  47. Nov 13, 2013
    Very Short, but absolutely stunning experience!
    Great Ending,great combat, and its Rapture again, what do you want more?
    For lovers of the Bioshock series a must have!!
  48. Nov 13, 2013
    A solid piece of DLC which is oozing with fan service that anyone suffering from BioShock withdrawal symptoms will love. I played on 1999 mode and with a lot of exploration it took me nearly 4 hours to complete, so I can't understand the length complaints.

Returning to Rapture in its prime is glorious, although the space you can explore is fairly small, it's packed with details and
    conversations to overhear, giving life to what we imagined the underwater city to really be like.

Some familiar faces make a spectacular return, as well as plenty of nods and references to both the original game and Infinite. The story itself is partly a continuation of Infinite and another part 'here's what happened in an alternate universe', but doesn't fall into the pointless side story territory as it provides some extra insight to characters that could apply anywhere. The ending, like Infinite, throws a lot at you at once and is pretty mind bending as always.

The vigors(now plasmids again), weapons, skylines and controls from Infinite are mixed with the scarce resources and the limited/more vocal enemies from the original to provide a refreshing spin on combat, that was actually incredibly challenging on 1999 mode. Stealth is once again possible, and planning your attacks in advance will give you a huge advantage.

Music and voice acting was brilliant as always.

My only gripes with it are:
    - Too short. Even though I'm amazed at how much Irrational managed to build in such a short time, it left me wishing that this was a full game and not a DLC. I would of loved to explore more of pre-fall Rapture, and the new weapon introduced barely had enough time to be used.
    - Integrating things from Columbia into Rapture wasn't that smooth. They have explanations, but they're brief and at points, not even needed. They try to bridge connections between the 2 game worlds that aren't really needed. Also, there were a few crucial models and assets that were re-used, which is strange considering how much of this has been made from scratch.

Overall, a fantastic experience and a much welcomed addition to the BioShock series that I would recommend to any fan.
  49. Nov 14, 2013
    Short but sweet would be the best descriptor of this DLC. It took me only 3 hours to beat but considering that it was 3 hours back in rapture and with some of my favorite video game characters, it was an incredibly entertaining 3 hours. It ties in very well with the base game (Bioshock Infinite) so if you liked Infinite as much as i did than this DLC is a must buy!
  50. Nov 16, 2013
    Unbelievable DLC, especially for the Bioshock 1 fans. It may have Bioshock: Infinite weaponry and other Infinite aspects to it, it still provides a nice 2 and a half hour ride. Provided with a very conclusive ending feeling almost as a standalone DLC, but few plot holes to be filled with Episode 2. I understand the complaint on the couple tedious missions that tend to take up its short length, but these missions are fine, as they introduce you to this new yet similarly styled Rapture. One thing that people should be expecting is that even though you may face splicers like in Bioshock 1, it still doesn't show much of the downfall of Rapture to the entire city shown in the first game. Expand
  51. Nov 13, 2013
    Loved it, my only problem with it its the length, lasting 2-3 hours, but those 2-3 hours are simply amazing, with tense combat and an amazing new storyline. Make sure you buy the season pass
  52. Nov 13, 2013
    A very solid DLC, quite short for it's price, but then again what you should get is the season pass. Beautiful graphics, new stunning noir Elizabeth, redone from scratch Rapture, new plasmids and cute little sisters, what's more you could ask for?
  53. Nov 21, 2013
    As a matter of fact, it was really nice to revisit Rapture, and had a good time playing it. But when it comes to value, the thing is quite different. It's really short (completed in less than 3 hours playing on hard), doesn't bring anything new in terms of gameplay, uses the same cosmetics and mechanics of Infinity and essentially doesn't add to or clarify much of the Bioshock universe. It probably could be released as one single story rather than broken into pieces/episodes, or it could be quite more cheaper.

Funny, but not enough.
  54. Nov 22, 2013
    It could have been a great new adventure in rapture but falls very short. On the positive it pulls strings of narrative from all three games into the dialogue and environment ensuring any fan feels catered to. However the game is somewhat gutted; you can no longer lock pick or hack and a half hearted effort to implement skylines does really work. The game has an interesting story and builds well however the episode is over in 2 hours of game play. I would have given this a 7/10 if the game had a few more hours but felt really cheated at just how short this episode was. Zero replay ability. Expand
  55. Nov 17, 2013
    Knocked it down a couple of points because i finished it in an evening, but that;s knocked down from 10. It is a total joy to be in rapture again and the storyline plays brilliantly with the quantum possibilities hinted at at the end of infinite. Thoroughly enjoyable mashup of bioshock and B:I. get this!
  56. Nov 13, 2013
    you know a DLC i successful when it accomplishes to keep the player interested in the environment while exploring and following the storyline, and that's exactly what this DLC accomplishes. in my opinion this DLC is the best DLC of 2013 hell even since 2010 (Fallout 3 DLC), to me it is amazing to finally be exploring the secrets of Rapture with a catching story and of cause our "oh, so beloved" Elizabeth". Of cause there is the economic site of the matter, this DLC cost about Dollar 14,95 which isn't cheap BUT with no doubt worth it! i recommend buying the season pass for not many Dollars more that the single DLC. The season pass will include all of the already released DLC for Bioshock: Infinite, as well as Burial at sea part 1 AND Burial at sea part 2. SO if you are a fan of the original bioshock (or Bioshock 2) you will with no doubt have a very satisfying, joyful and nostalgic time playing this DLC. a lot of you guys might think 10 is a little too much for this DLC, but on thing is sure, 8,5 (current user score) is not even close to being enough for Burial at sea Expand
  57. Nov 16, 2013
    A short, but stylistically striking and interesting DLC. Liked the atmosphere of the first Bioshock. Absolutely not regret the money spent, believe me it's worth a buy. Now I'm looking forward to the appearance of the 2nd episode.
  58. Nov 17, 2013
    This DLC was really nice. Was really interesting to see Rapture final days and new Elizabeth.
    It's really short (2-3 hours with full exploration), but it's totally worth playing. Hope part 2 would be longer.
  59. Nov 19, 2013
    I must confess, maybe I expected more from this DLC.

They promise us a return into Rapture and to the original Bioshock.
    I really liked the first Bioshock for the atmosphere and the story, but I feel like that game had some problems with the gameplay: enter into a room, you need 3 items to go on, one of these 3 items needs 3 items etc.. it wasn't good.
    Anyway, let's get Back to BaS:
    the intro is great. Full of references to the first game, really bring you back. Except the "new power" of the Big Daddy seen in the biginnin, the "drill trick", I don't see the point of adding that for no reason since it wasn't never show before.
    The story is very nice and easy to follow, sadly some trama plot are pretty trivial and you can totally see them coming. Except the final, that was damn surprising.
    The gameplay was reinvented as they promised: you can bring more then 2 weapons, they also added a "new" plasmid from the first game and a new weapon really nice, but that you won't use that for longer.
    The music, as usually, is great. Really fits for every situation.
    Sadly is very short, I've finished it with 160 minutes, exploring a lot, but rushing a bit in the end. Still, is all worth it.

In the end, is a dlc that I suggest you to get with the Season Pass, so you will be sure to get the Episode 2 immedialy after the release.
  60. Nov 16, 2013
    Like everyone has already stated, this is short. Although I think I squeezed about 3 hours of it compared to the 1.5 I've heard from a lot of reviewers, and that was just running around quickly looking for audio logs and other stuff to pick up. Classic Bioshock quality, even if it leaves you wanting more. If you loved Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, you really do need to buy this. Good shot of nostalgia being back in Rapture. Didn't much care for the ending, but I don't want to give any spoilers. Expand
  61. Nov 15, 2013
    Yes, it is short, but it is a worthwhile addition to the Infinite experience. I just replayed BS 2 in the last few weeks, and I do think it captures the essence of Rapture. Yes, it is on rails, there is not that much to find or to shoot. But I did get a solid 3 hour experience for $15, so much cheaper than Call of Duty! A bit like part 1 of the Dishonored DLC, it is three levels, and a few new weapons. Well worth the price. Expand
  62. Nov 17, 2013
    This DLC is absolutely awesome....this feeling when you come into Rapture is very special. I think there are more than in the Main Game...and i liked it. The Story is (of course, it's BioShock) very well told and really really well staged!
  63. Nov 17, 2013
    There are many spoiled naysayers here, to include "critic reviewers".

The return to Rapture is everything that can be expected and much more. While shorter than some full games (clocking at ~3hrs for full achievement completion), the focus is far more on the elements of the story, a deeply twisted tale that turns all you thought you knew from the moment the game started into sudden
    realization at the cliffhanger ending. But, as there are two parts to this, the full impact of this ending is meant to be picked up later.

While ammunition can sometimes be lacking, Elizabeth's AI seems less helpful (makes sense with the ending, now that I think about it), which can create troubling situations alleviated only in part by the addition of a weapon wheel in place of Infinite's two-weapon limit. This was perhaps the only portion of the game that caused frustration.
  64. Dec 8, 2013
    It's short, 30 mins to 2 hrs, but still made me happy to be back in Rapture. I loved BioShock Infinite and BioShock, it's nice how they're trying to tie up the two worlds. And because it was short, it makes me excited for the next episode.
  65. Apr 7, 2014
    Overpriced DLC to the one of the most overrated video games of all time. All the plot elements in Bioshock Infinite have been done before in Star Trek, Sliders, Quantum Leap and Fox's Fringe. So don't listen to the durps that try to convince you it's original and hasn't been done before.

As for the DLC, 15 bucks for one hour of gameplay? Don't encourage this greed, just say no to
    this overpriced filth. Expand
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    I liked the short rush through Rapture, but every Addon just feels not like a real game, so I think you should stop that Addon stuff and just go on to develope the next game. However if you look at Crysis Warhead you know that an Addon can be good in quality and quantity.
  67. Jan 29, 2014
    The DLC is good but ultimately it is has a few really big flaws. For one thing it is really short, and also the story was a bit of a disappointment. It had its interesting moments but the ending wasn't really that surprising and it was a bit of a letdown. The combat remains for the most part the same. The new weapon that was added was fun to use along with the new plasmid. Overall if you are a big fan of bioshock i would say get it but if you are on the fence about it i would say consider not buying it. You really won't be missing that much story wise. A lot of the DLC involved very little actual story and it had a lot of moments where you had to fetch an item or close certain grates. Overall not bad but certainly not great either. Expand
  68. Dec 16, 2013
    An entertaining addition to the game and all of the environments are very well done like in the original. the combat us more of the same with fast paced running gunning, jumping from rails and blasting enemies with super powers. the story could have used a little more depth and for the 15.00 dollar price tag though its just far to short.
  69. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One spoiler-free review:
    A short but enjoyable journey back to Rapture.
    As we go back to Rapture with Infinite's gameplay it was hard to adjust. This is the same problem I had with Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den. Infinite stablished itself as first person shooter where you were unstopable and overpowered. Now, (still in the hands of Booker) the game
    decides to make AI extremely tough. It was really hard to adapt to this new cautious and strategic gameplay. Now story. The story is good but nothing mindblowing like BioShock: Infinite. The music is very good and the sounds of Rapture and from the original BioShock, are great. The game looks great as well, better than Infinite I believe.
    In the end Burial at Sea episode 1 is a short but good DLC that (hopefully) is a set up for an incredible episode 2.
    Average Score: 7.5/10
  70. Jan 21, 2014
    This was a good continuation of the Rapture story intertwined with the new Colombia Story. I love seeing Booker and Elizabeth in the world of Rapture. The story and scenery were the only really big changes in addition of Bioshock, other then that the controls are still just as smooth and fun as Infinite. The scenery is amazing, I love seeing Rapture in its glory days, where Andrew Ryan beats Fontain. The story is the only place that really causes problems for me. While it is still the good classic writing that we've come to expect from Irrational Games, its way to short. There is more that could have been added to this dlc to make it more worth the money. For this reason alone the game three points. But its still a very good game and makes me excited for part 2. Expand
  71. Jan 3, 2014
    I bought it for 5 euros at the steam sale and Im glad i didnt buy it for full price. The episode is extremely short. The gameplay "shooter experience" is very dull and boring, even worse than the standard game. To be honest you only play this DLC for the story.

Bioshock Infinite had an amazing story and level design and I rate the game high for it (9/10), even tho the gameplay was
    pretty dull. But this DLC was just worse in every aspect...

I'd say for 5 euros it's almost still worth it. But not for full price.
  72. Nov 19, 2013
    I do not understand any of the criticisms here. Are people out there seriously expecting another full game? This should be rated for what it is, an expansion to Bioshock Infinite. The game promised to bring us back to rapture with the Infinite gameplay and ties to both games and that is exactly what it does. It finds a way in the story to connect both worlds and act as a sequel to Infinite and a prelude to Bioshock. Am I the only one who realizes how genius irrational must be to pull that off? They also find a way for us to have the familiar Bioshock enemies (splicers) for us to fight even before the fall of rapture. The fact that you are fighting splicers and not humans who care for their self preservation this time makes the game a bit more challenging too. And plus, it ends with a phenomenal boss fight I should have seen coming a mile away but didn’t. It comes with a great story ending too.
    Pretty much, as a fan to both Bioshock infinite and Bioshock, this is everything you could ever want in a short DLC. The developers delivered in every way possible and no true fan can really be upset about anything.
  73. Nov 21, 2013
    Absolutely amazing in every single way it plays. So why is this an 8 and not a 10?

It's short. Really short.

The game itself plays like Bioshock 1 and Infinite combined, with indeed variable combat options, plus the return of the weapon wheel, as well as not having way too much ammo at once. The story is fantastic, expanding upon the story of both Infinite and the first Bioshock, and
    the environments are incredibly enticing. I loved this DLC and was definitely worth the purchase. The high amount of quality put into this makes it an excellent piece to add to your collection.

But the length will take you about 3 hours max (this is assuming you do and explore EVERYTHING) despite all that, making it a questionable use of 15 dollars when you look at DLC campaigns for some games, say Borderlands 2 that last for quite a long time for just the main quests.

In the end, give it a try, but consider getting the season pass so you can save some money when you inevitably buy both episodes, and you can get Clash in the Clouds, which I thought was relatively fun, and the season pass will only net you $20.

Note about the season pass, however: Get it after beating the main story of Infinite, as they give you 5 upgrades and 4 armor pieces soon into the game that you can't skip (as far as I know) and I feel that ruins the challenge a bit.
  74. Nov 22, 2013
    First of and most primarily i personally love the DLC and think that so far it has been done great. But i would like to bring up an alarming problem that almost half or more of the top reviewers have only reviewed one game or only started reviewing after this game (Even though i am included in that list because i created my account to bring up this issue Not saying they aren't legit review i just want to raise the concern for it. But the DLC is most definitely worth the 15$ Expand
  75. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Burial at Sea begins with a great way to see Rapture before the Civil War, with an amusing free roam around a shopping district called High Street. You get to see people living their lives normally and see what the city was like when it was alive. Sadly, this was the high amount. On the plus side, the actual gameplay element of the game felt much like Bioshock, but maybe a little too much, following the slightly tiresome "here's an obstacle now find the plasmid to get past it" structure. And then we see what starts as a highly promising expansion hit its worst flaw, its really disappointing length. Barely two and a half hours long, Burial at Sea feels like nothing more than an extended demo and hardly justifying the £12 price tag (if you get it BUY THE SEASON PASS). Not to mention a few glaring omissions of classic Bioshock 1 elements, like character customization (Burial at Sea doesn't even have Infinite's Infusions system) and encounters with Big Daddies; we only meet one of those in the final boss fight. Expand
  76. Dec 7, 2013
    Just as Burial at Sea feels like its warming up it's over. It took me around 1hr 15mins, which is very short considering the 20USD price of entrance.

The story is generally good, and keeps you interested, in the usually ambiguous manner of the previous Bioshocks. Rapture has been redone quite nicely as you'd expect.

In short, not a great value for money proposition but if that
    doesn't both you then its a worth 1 or so hours distraction. Expand
  77. Dec 31, 2013
    It really explains the story well and it is very well made, but it only took me an hour and a half to beat. This expansion takes what you already knew about infinite and helps relate it to the rest of the bioshock world.
  78. Jan 31, 2014
    Burial at sea created an amazing and beautiful return to rapture that fans of the series have been waiting for since the original came out. The scenery is jaw dropping and gives you that warm, nostalgic feel. With just a little bit of Bioshock infinite placed in just to make you say 'constants and variables' 'who knew a capitalist dictator and a religious zealot had so much in common!?"

The only issue with the game is its quite short. When I realised I had got to the ending, I panicked and hungered for more as if the game itself had become my addiction .

Anyone that enjoyed infinite I would say this should be on your list. keeping that in mind however getting the season pass might be a good idea
  79. Nov 17, 2013

Not worth the money.

1. Dec 30, 2013
    The high price and lack of polish make this one to avoid for now. For art-deco die-hards only. [Jan 2014, p.93]
    Short but generous trip into the underwater city of Rapture with all the perks we know from Infinite. This DLC benefits from an attractive setting and slower paced action. [Issue#237]
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    A promising start? A rather cautious one. The return to Rapture evades déjà vu feelings, but it doesn't deliver more than a spark of curiosity for its fans.