8.5

1. May 3, 2013
    Like others, I'm confused as to why this game is being glorified as one of the best games ever made. I've run the gauntlet of pc gaming ever since the pre-Windows days and have had the pleasure of enjoying some of the most amazing pc games ever produced in history. With that said, this game is extremely average at best. I'm around 75% of the way through, and I'm struggling through theLike others, I'm confused as to why this game is being glorified as one of the best games ever made. I've run the gauntlet of pc gaming ever since the pre-Windows days and have had the pleasure of enjoying some of the most amazing pc games ever produced in history. With that said, this game is extremely average at best. I'm around 75% of the way through, and I'm struggling through the repetitive boredom to try and finish it.

Without rambling in to every single thing I'm disappointed in, I'll simply say a lot of the game is repetitive (almost every fight scene plays out the same way), boring (so much down time explaining a story that is too confusing to absorb the first time), and unnecessary (80% of the weapons, vigors, and clothing is rarely used).

It's a very disappointing game, and it's rather insulting to give something that is nowhere near a perfectly polished game such high reviews.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  3. May 30, 2013
    I still haven't finished it yet, not because its difficulty (its a way too easy), but because i got really bored. Where to start:
    Graphics looks good if you stand 2 meters away from the monitor. Once you look at textures and models you realizes how poor it is.
    NPC are just annoying, dumb and lifeless (and poor modelled). Game dynamics are just COD-style, nothing that vaguely resemble
    NPC are just annoying, dumb and lifeless (and poor modelled).
    Game dynamics are just COD-style, nothing that vaguely resemble the original BioShock. No real choices, no tactics with plasmids (yes, you have vigors but once acquired electricity they become just useless and repetitive), no real challenge. This game is so easy that you could die only if you throw your character over the cliffs (and then you are reanimated by your annoying companion).
    If you really wanto to complete your BioShock collection, just wait some month and buy it on sale.
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    I find this game pretty boring and PC version is full of gamebreaking bugs. Twice the game has been impossible to continue in without redoing an entire level due to zero bug testing during development it seems.
    Sometimes Elizabeth just stands there instead of doing what she is supposed to and even resetting the checkpoint doesn't allow you to continue past this point.
    If devs are going
    If devs are going to continue to release such shoddy products i am amazed it can get such a high review score.
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite may not have the graphical fidelity of other AAA titles of the time but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in a rich and immersible story that keeps you coming back for more.

I was constantly torn between exploring more of the world for audio diary's or ciphers and progressing through the story to find out how it would unfold next, in the end I think I only picked up around 70% of the diary's which is a shame as I'm sure a lot of the lore and perhaps keys to understanding the conclusion of the story was lost with them.
    The characters were well developed and believable albeit the antagonist Comstock doesn't quite live up to the Andrew Ryan of Bioshock past. The Lettuce twins have some brilliant back and fourths and when you think about what they say a little deeper it's all pretty clever stuff.

Infinite isn't without it's faults though, I personally wasn't a huge fan of auto saving and no quick saving as on occasion the game wouldn't have auto saved for about 25 minutes and I couldn't really drop it without losing some progress.
    I also don't think the vigor's are quite as fun as Bioshock 1 & 2's plasmids, there is the option to use them all as traps but I pretty much never found myself doing it.
    Lastly the constant coin flipping by Elizabeth kind of got a little annoying, I understand the idea was to physically show that she's helping you out through the story but the repetitive things she would say started to grate after a while.

Come the end of the day, Bioshock Infinite is an extremely worth while purchase with it's deep engrossing story, rich characters, mind bending ending that'll have you talking about it for days and nice little nods to music throughout the century.

I'd say, a must buy.
  6. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was no doubt a very pretty game. The vistas that they created with Columbia's floating city were very unique and artistically very beautiful. I found myself looking off in the distance several times in aww of how they came up with this gorgeous landscape. The games graphics are no doubt a step above the other Bioshock games and the story seems to follow with itsBioshock Infinite was no doubt a very pretty game. The vistas that they created with Columbia's floating city were very unique and artistically very beautiful. I found myself looking off in the distance several times in aww of how they came up with this gorgeous landscape. The games graphics are no doubt a step above the other Bioshock games and the story seems to follow with its complexity, trying to connect several different parallel universes with the one your in. Although this all seems good and dandy the game is not what people are hyping it all up to be.
    My biggest problems with the game is how mediocre the gameplay is. It's basically the same as the other bioshock games but with the addition of Elizabeth's powers that can open tears to other universes popping out useful objects/items to use in the environment and the hook that allows you to ride on rails. These additions can be fun but their nothing to get excited about, you basically never need to use them except for a few key spots towards the end of the game. the game was so easy I played the whole way threw on hard and the AI was very bland and predictable. I loved in the previous bioshock game that you could upgrade bullets for the gun making them shock or explode on impact and when you upgraded the gun the look would change a little based on what you upgraded on it. Infinite completely took this quality out including replacing hacking with a simple plasmid/vigor power that you just shoot to hack an object. This thoroughly disappointed me and further limited how you fought a group of soldiers that just blindly came charging at you.
    The game is just way to short at a gameplay time of 8 hours, that alone makes me laugh at the price of $60. The reason why you killed people was questioning It seemed several times in the game that I was murdering hundreds of innocent people for no reason. It felt like their was combat just for the sake of combat in several places of the game and it took me out of the experience making me question why the hell am I murdering all these people.
    Bioshock Infinite is basically a mediocre game with a washed over gameplay style of the other installments with much needed content that was taken out from the previous games, a short story, repetitive combat, lack of material in the game besides the story, and very badly programmed AI that can be predictable on any difficulty of the game. The story is a little unique and left me thinking about it for several days after beating it and the graphics are very beautiful but its not enough for me to say its worth $60. I played 8 hours, beat it, and will probably never touch it again. This game simply just needs more content and better gameplay with the hacking of the original bioshock in it and the upgrading of weapons from bioshock 2. I recommend waiting for the hype of the game to go down and the price to drop to about $20-$30 before buying it. People are influenced too easily by the previews of games and the HYPE developers put on their games that they forget how much your actually getting for your money, but, if thats good enough for you maybe $60 is worth it.
    Check out Fallout New Vegas if you want to see what I mean by having $60 worth of content in a game.
  7. Mar 27, 2013

Just amazing! The world feels so alive, the gameplay is fun and the exploration and story telling is unforgettable! I was drawn right in from the beginning listening to the unimportant AI to the amazing story telling audio logs. I can't really say much more than this game was amazing! Good job Irrational! Hope to see another in the series just as good or even better!
  8. Mar 30, 2013
    The best FPS I've ever played. And the biggest reason I can give you is Elizabeth. Elizabeth the best NPC in any video game I've ever played. THe gameplay is excellent (though fiddly at times) the graphics are top notch (not the aboluste best, but only a tad under) the sense of "being there" is fantastic as the details is just breath taking. The game mechanics are worked out and smooth.The best FPS I've ever played. And the biggest reason I can give you is Elizabeth. Elizabeth the best NPC in any video game I've ever played. THe gameplay is excellent (though fiddly at times) the graphics are top notch (not the aboluste best, but only a tad under) the sense of "being there" is fantastic as the details is just breath taking. The game mechanics are worked out and smooth. But it is Elizabeth I've fallen in love with a sodding video game character. Please let me buy all your DLC expansions and follow ups. Sign me up right now but if you change her personality Irrational Games... I'm coming after you with a stick covered in dog excrement. Expand
  9. May 5, 2013
    Good game but there is no replay value after finishing it The game world and the story are a bit ridiculous for my taste and the graphics are very "cartoonish". I gave it a 7 for being a good game but this is not a classic as it is majorly overhyped by some people
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    By far the best game I've played in several years. I made a vow to myself that after a certain game, I would no longer buy games until I felt like the developer deserved that money; this one certainly did and will be purchasing it from Steam.

The story was brilliant, I was confused towards the end and by the time I finished the game everything wrapped itself up nicely and was overall very pleasing. The textures were great even at medium setting, those seeing underwhelming textures should play this game on a DX11 card, instead of a DX10 car like a lot of those complaining about subpar graphics, but having a subpar card... With the amount of abilities and weapons in this game, you can control the game play. Overall an incredible game.
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    BioShock Infinite, like the rest of the of the BioShock franchise, was very enjoyable to play, combat was very fun and graphics were great. However I'd still say that the original BioShock was more fun to play.

I was also slightly disappointed that BioShock Infinite didn't live up to expectation set by developers in early production. Even elements shown in the Beta game-play seemed to be non-existent: such as being fired at with artillery weapons and having a telekinesis power to stop the shells, sandbox level design, larger and more open areas and the random collapse of buildings. However due to time, story and technology restraints many of these features were unrealistic so many of this is excusable.

Also I found the ending to be a bit weak, but enjoyable non-the-less. The re-playability is also somewhat non-existent. I still strongly recommend playing the game. Good job 2K.
  12. Mar 30, 2013
    Words are powerless to describe this game...you should play it by yourself, and then you will know whats INFINITE. Irrational games have been amazing always, and this time they are into their infinity Bioshock infinite is a masterpiece of this generation...may not be easy to chose is as the GOTY yet, but Infinite will be definitely on the list. Aside of being game it is also a realWords are powerless to describe this game...you should play it by yourself, and then you will know whats INFINITE. Irrational games have been amazing always, and this time they are into their infinity Bioshock infinite is a masterpiece of this generation...may not be easy to chose is as the GOTY yet, but Infinite will be definitely on the list. Aside of being game it is also a real piece of art in terms of designs. Gameplay is proven over the Bioshsock 1 and the story is as awesome as I expected. Graphics are great only if you play it on a good PC otherwise frame rate and textures on the both console versions arent that nice. Expand
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    The Good

+Solid story and narrative that really draws the player in +Very thematically ambitious +Gorgeous world really draws you into the experience +Solid gameplay mechanics +A lot of variety in ability and gear to help change up the experience +Elizabeth is a very well crafted character +The music and audio is very good; the voice acting is fantastic The Bad -Slight dips
    The Good

+Solid story and narrative that really draws the player in
    +Very thematically ambitious
    +Gorgeous world really draws you into the experience
    +Solid gameplay mechanics
    +A lot of variety in ability and gear to help change up the experience
    +Elizabeth is a very well crafted character
    +The music and audio is very good; the voice acting is fantastic

The Bad

-Slight dips in framerate from time to time
    -Death can feel a little disorienting
    -Some choice decisions fail to have an impact

---

Note: The Following Review is Long

In 2007 the original Bioshock came out and added a layer to gaming that few games have been able to do. The game was not nearly as big of a success as other titles of the year such as Halo or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. A game that Bioshock Infinite is here and it reaches. In some regards, perhaps even higher than the one that started it all.

You play as Booker Dewitt. He's got some debts to settle and believes he can do so. He must first venture to the floating city of Columbia. There he must rescue a young woman named Elizabeth. But it will not be easy. Columbia is a city ruled under the watchful eye of Father Comstock, a prophet who can supposedly see the future. It isn't long before Booker realizes that rescuing Elizabeth and escaping the city of Columbia will be much more difficult than he imagined. Quickly branded as a false prophet, Booker comes under attack.

Like the first game, Bioshock Infinite is a very thematically ambitious game. One that begins to elevate storytelling in gaming. There will surely be a lot of discussion to follow with this one. There's a lot of care taken with the world in which it takes place in, as well as with some of the themes it handles. And Bioshock Infinite opts to hold very little back. Here you'll be tackling themes such as racism, religion, false prophets, gender roles, even moments that will test your own morals. It's got a lot to say. The story and the world also come to life in the same way that Rapture does. While Columbia is not as dazzling as the trip into the underwater world, it does have a pulse just the same. You'll find Voxphones scattered throughout. These, like the original Bioshocks audio diaries, add a lot more to the tale at hand. They add to the story, the world and the atmosphere. To ignore them is to miss out on a considerable portion of the game. For those very curious about the world they're playing in, they will most certainly want to pick these up.

From the outset it doesn't seem as though there is much which separates Bioshock Infinite from it's predecessor. Indeed, it takes a moment to get there. Many aspects will be familiar to you from the outset. Instead of Plasmids, for example, you have Vigors. These allow you to do things such as possess machines and make them attack your enemies, or hurl explosive fireballs at your foes. If there are crows an area you can even turn them against your foes. There's a lot variety with the vigors, as well as many different ways to use them. There is a limit, of course, you need salts to be able to use them. Like the original there are also vending machines around where you can use currency to buy upgrades for your vigors or guns. You can also restore health.

Unlike the original, however, you don't stock up on health packs that will be used immediately when your life reaches zero. Rather you have one life gauge that doesn't recharge at all. You must find food or other means of sustenance to restore your health. There is, however, a shield you'll get early on that does recharge. If you can find cover in the midst of a gun fight or keep from taking damage your shield will recharge and you'll be ready again. This seems like it'll make the game particularly difficult at first, but Bioshock Infinite is not too challenging in and of itself. Sometimes the enemies can come in large waves. But should you bite the dust you are never punished too harshly. You'll respawn really close to where you died and you'll be given some health and some ammo. Your enemies will also have some of their health restored as well, so whatever killed you is usually still lurking. The only downside is that there will be times when you respawn and you'll need to take time to adjust to your surroundings. Though you never respawn far from where you've died, there are times when you'll feel disoriented and turned around when you do.

There is also gear you can put on to help you out along the way. These will enhance your abilities. And if you mix and match things will change. One piece of gear, for instance, allows you to run faster when your shield burst. Another lets you set people on fire wh
  14. Apr 5, 2013
    I'm almost crying! Thats the damn best game I ever played! FANTASTIC! Plot is simple awesome, I've never seen so strong story! For sure this is game of the year! You simple must try this! Last time I had same emotions by playing Portal2
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is not only graphically stunning, but also wonderfully story driven with tons of questions and theories to make up while you play. I myself could not put it down for at least the first 5 hours just because i had so many questions. This is a prime example of how video games are an art form. 11/10
  16. Mar 31, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game. I started playing it a week ago, and it took only 8 hours to finish. Pretty short but that's not a huge deal breaker. If a story is written well it can be very engrossing, and this story was fun. I enjoyed the visuals for the most part, though I did find it a little overblown in lighting from time to time. I wasn't wowed by the graphics but theyI was really looking forward to this game. I started playing it a week ago, and it took only 8 hours to finish. Pretty short but that's not a huge deal breaker. If a story is written well it can be very engrossing, and this story was fun. I enjoyed the visuals for the most part, though I did find it a little overblown in lighting from time to time. I wasn't wowed by the graphics but they certainly weren't bad.

The game play was very average. Fighting was extremely easy. I played on the medium setting which felt so much like easy that I got bored very quickly with fighting. I died in the final fight a few times, but that was the only time in the whole game that I felt I was actually challenged. The game very much hand holds you from one clue to the next making it a railroad style game, which is ok since the story was very enjoyable but it is not at all an open world sandbox style game. Not even close.

As for characters in the game, I found their voice acting great, very well done, but the nonessential characters were extremely bland and didn't even move when you approach them or react to your presence except in a few extremely rare instances. They are not well rendered. They move stiffly and leave a lot to be desired. The weapon choices were a fairly obvious mix, though some had some interesting mechanics. But ammo was so plentiful i never felt like I had to conserve my shots or take careful aim since I was sure to find enough rounds to keep going. I also found the use of special clothing you can wear a cool touch but it was too hard to tell what the different outfits would do. And then we get to vigors, special powers you get from drinking potions. Total waste of time. You can play the entire game without needing to use them really, except on a few occasions where you must use it to activate something. They are so poorly implemented that they have very little benefit. The combat is already so easy with guns, that using special powers is basically like playing easy mode with cheats. Why bother?

On the whole I think this game was pretty blah. For a price of $60 on Steam I expect to be entertained and challenged thoroughly for several hours. I was entertained pretty well for a few, but honestly I almost gave up on the game after 2 because it was just so easy and with no interaction from NPC's it gets bland very fast. This game should be ignored until it hits bargain bins at $20. then it might be worth while. I would even say $30 is a decent price for this game.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    If you look closer, the environments are a little buggy. However, this is not a clue here. The story, characters, art direction and a way in which this game approach problems such as racism, are great. The most IMPORTANT game experience of all time.
  18. Jun 9, 2013
    A very pretty game with worthless AI, incredibly boring gameplay, a limited selection of enemy types, and more undeserved hype than you can imagine. No multiplayer, no challenge, zero replay value. The so-called 1999 mode is worthless to me because after finishing the game in normal mode, it exhibits problems that are simply not going to be resolved by making the game a bit harder.A very pretty game with worthless AI, incredibly boring gameplay, a limited selection of enemy types, and more undeserved hype than you can imagine. No multiplayer, no challenge, zero replay value. The so-called 1999 mode is worthless to me because after finishing the game in normal mode, it exhibits problems that are simply not going to be resolved by making the game a bit harder.

The story is amazing only if you have somehow until now managed to avoid the concept of a videogame telling a story. If this is not a shocking new development for you and you enjoy an easy shooter without a lot of demands on the player, consider this if it ever goes below $10. Until then, save your money.
  19. Oct 21, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is the best example of a game company favoring story over game play. The game holds the players hand throughout the game, there is a line the player can bring up to show where to go, or you can go exploring and rummage through trashcans for food that don’t do anything for the player. If you die the game just brings you back to life where you just died with little to noBioshock Infinite is the best example of a game company favoring story over game play. The game holds the players hand throughout the game, there is a line the player can bring up to show where to go, or you can go exploring and rummage through trashcans for food that don’t do anything for the player. If you die the game just brings you back to life where you just died with little to no consequence, even on the hardest mode available to a first time player. The difficulty in the game is just non-existent.

The story in Bioshock Infinite is the best redeeming quality for the game. The player assumes the role of Booker, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth to pay off a debt. The real positive part of the story is more of the characters than the actual time line of the story. The game makes you actually care about the characters, but the actual content of what you are playing just feels unimportant. Add one of the most disappointing endings to a game and you’ve got the story of one of the most overrated games of all time.

The graphics are nice to look at, if you like the art direction the game took, and there is no denying that. While the game looks good, it still doesn’t play well.
  20. Jun 17, 2013
    Honestly don't get why PC gamers in particular would like this game so much. I like(Make that loved) Bioshock once I worked out a solution to the terrible field of view and was a little disappointed by BS but I had high hopes for this. As it turned out it was the first game I haven't been able to motivate myself to finish.

As it is I just found it corny and lacking in atmosphere.

As it is I just found it corny and lacking in atmosphere. Much of the ideology and concepts seem to be aimed at a US audience but in terms of gameplay its nothing special and far more linear than I can enjoy. Not the most linear game ever but still I don't feel like I am making any choices which make a difference. Mediocre at best. The story and atmosphere is no way strong enough to carry a game which so linear for me.

I think the odd racist comment is supposed to shock us into indignation and feeling something from this game but even that felt too contrived and more marketing gimmic than contributing to atmospherics. The feeling of being manipulated by a governing body which monitors us and controls our information and ideology? Read the news, we are living in far worse times in that regard so what is left to build a story around.

Even the lead female character is too comic book (and not in a good way) to generate any real emotional response despite some great voice acting.
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    It's pretty. Turn up the graphics and it is oh so very pretty. The combat is well put together and has more depth than your average shooter. The story completely falls to pieces by the end, but by video game standards it's pretty decent.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work. There's no manual save and checkpoints can be 5 minutes apart, or 2 hours apart. You receive equipment upgrades entirely at random, some of which are useful, others completely wreck your character with no way to remove them. There are vigor upgrades you can only ever get using dlc, they're in the game you just can't get the requisite resources any other way.

If the game was finished it would be a solid but by no means spectacular game. It is not finished. I'm not sure it ever will be.
  22. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saying the graphics are mediocre is just a poor way of describing how you don't like the game, the graphics are fantastically colorful and leave a good feeling in your stomach, but that is probably the only decent thing about this game. The engine feels clunky, the fights that were portrayed in trailers didn't match up, the enemies lack originality or depth, the story line went everywhere (the only two remotely interesting parts being the very beginning and the less than climatic ending), and the abilities/mechanics felt watered down. It was a let down for all the hype that "Bioshock" has behind it, titles of which people genuinely enjoyed (you get a major tease of "Rapture" in the end.) I hope "Irrational Games" never has another thing to do with this franchise, or I won't be buying. That's for sure.

The only way you can say this is a 'masterpiece' is if you know nothing about game mechanics, never played the previous games, or have a less than average comprehension ability.
  23. Aug 22, 2014
    Shame to see these overrated piles of rubbish appearing in this day and age.

Graphics: Bloom, blinding lightning and smoke/fog covering up low quality textures and poor polymer structuring. Sound: Mediocre "christian influenced" music is almost dominating for more than half the game until they start to segment everything into eerie stressful, almost tribal drum music and even some
    Shame to see these overrated piles of rubbish appearing in this day and age.

Sound: Mediocre "christian influenced" music is almost dominating for more than half the game until they start to segment everything into eerie stressful, almost tribal drum music and even some quick Irish pub violin later on. This causes everything to have a very plastic feel (even though the ambiance is all good) and when combined with the seemingly random British accents, It serves only to give everything a plastic feel.

Gameplay: Halo's regenerative shield is given to you on a silver platter (literally) to fend off a moronic AI that excels at nothing but to constantly take "cover" in plain sight. The only time I got even remotely overwhelmed was when they managed to pull off zerg-rush tactics but It turns out that was my fault since I passed the invisible "spawn enemy once he's here" line without killing everything in sight first. It also serves to be a real bummer as the weapons in this game either one-shot everything or have literally no impact on anything at certain difficulties leaving the game to be extremely easy or annoyingly tedious instead of properly hard.

These maps also have to be some of the most mundanely linear things with invisible walls around every single corner which servers to be the biggest disappointment as the game is advertised to be "open-styled". But hey, gotta get the games on consoles somehow while also slurping it over half-arsed on a PC, right?

Story: Predictable and incredibly confusing at the same time as the plot throws in space-time continuums like they're verbs. Other than that, the game is simply a massive corridor filled with enemies and the occasional carefully placed camera angles to sexually expose Elizabeth as much as humanly possible. Because hey, only kids will fall into the trap to buy this game... Right?

Long story short, Buy it at a sale and get in with little in the form of expectations and preferably with two defunct eyes as well.
  24. Apr 1, 2013
    An over-hyped piece of reductio ad absurdum with a deeply disappointing ending. This game does not deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as the conclave of truly great games of this generation, of which the original Bioshock belongs, along with Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. While the game does possess fun and interesting gameplay, the story is quite ridiculous and full of logicalAn over-hyped piece of reductio ad absurdum with a deeply disappointing ending. This game does not deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as the conclave of truly great games of this generation, of which the original Bioshock belongs, along with Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. While the game does possess fun and interesting gameplay, the story is quite ridiculous and full of logical paradoxes relating to time-travel and other possible worlds that cannot be reconciled. Interesting ambiance and fun gameplay are not enough to make up for the lipstick-on-a-pig of a story. A truly disappointing experience that could have been something worthy of the greatness unperceptive people are lavishing on it. Expand
  25. Apr 4, 2013
    I often wondered if I'd ever play a game that I felt deserved an unashamed 10 out of 10. I finally found it with this title. Utterly incredible. Graphics, immersion, atmosphere, gameplay everything absolutely spectacular. Best game I've played in years.
  26. May 18, 2013
    looks like today for a good game you just need American flag and founding fathers!? This game tries to be serious, but deeply fails.

Great hype!!!!!!
  27. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is completely uncomparable to it's ancestor Bioshock. Original game force you to make choices, only choice you can made in B.I. is picture on Elizabet's necklace, which probably don't have any meaning for gameplay. Original game gives us enjoying minigame for lock-picking and hacking. Let's see what we have here "Hey, Elizabeth, take these lockpicks of mine and pick this lockThis game is completely uncomparable to it's ancestor Bioshock. Original game force you to make choices, only choice you can made in B.I. is picture on Elizabet's necklace, which probably don't have any meaning for gameplay. Original game gives us enjoying minigame for lock-picking and hacking. Let's see what we have here "Hey, Elizabeth, take these lockpicks of mine and pick this lock for me, please". It's boring! I was still waiting when the game shows me the full potential, but then it ends... Conclusion: It's good shooter, like many on the marked these days. Nothing special as original Bioshock as we all wanted and expected. Expand
  28. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the firstBioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.
  29. Mar 31, 2013
    Although I have issues with the story of this game, I found it to be very thrilling to play and filled with marvelous visuals. If you go in for the gameplay you will NOT be disappointed at all. This is an incredibly polished shooter. But the story is a whole other thing. It feels like Ken Levine put too many ingredients in the soup and starts to lose track of what he wants to make theAlthough I have issues with the story of this game, I found it to be very thrilling to play and filled with marvelous visuals. If you go in for the gameplay you will NOT be disappointed at all. This is an incredibly polished shooter. But the story is a whole other thing. It feels like Ken Levine put too many ingredients in the soup and starts to lose track of what he wants to make the story about. Almost all of the political philosophy is lost a certain way into the game due to a focus on multiverses, which is interesting on it's own but eventually reaches an ending that doesn't have anything to do with the world and politics of Columbia at all. I was disappointed because I was under the assumption that the writers were trying to fix the flaws the original bioshock had, but it does not ruin the whole game. It would be best to wait for the price to lower, but you will not have remorse if you go for it while it's still 60 dollars. Expand
  30. Jun 1, 2013
    People should really know the difference between graphics and aesthetics. The game looks nice, but not really graphics wise. Muddy textures were cleverly hidden by post-processing trickery. The story is shallow and makes use of multi-dimensional to make up for it. Intelligent people would only get the game, people would say. They treat quantum mechanics as magic and use it as cop-out forPeople should really know the difference between graphics and aesthetics. The game looks nice, but not really graphics wise. Muddy textures were cleverly hidden by post-processing trickery. The story is shallow and makes use of multi-dimensional to make up for it. Intelligent people would only get the game, people would say. They treat quantum mechanics as magic and use it as cop-out for plot holes in the story. I don't understand the 10s and 9s that people give to this game. The game mechanics is not even that perfect. Why should it even be called a video game if you don't even emphasize the game mechanics. Increasing difficulty increases enemy sponginess? Why can't you carry more than two weapons anyway? The weapon upgrades are meaningless, as the upgrades would only be countered by increased health of generic enemies, I should say. The weapons don't even feel that powerful because they don't stop your enemies on their tracks. All this flaws are then discarded because of the awesome ending? Biggest cop-out in a video game in this generation, more like. Infinite became meaningless with constants and variables. I scored 4 because of the aesthetics of the game, the sounds and the whole flying city thing. Not game of the year or even game of the generation material, as some people that has fallen to its mediocre plot and "mind-blowing" twist and ending. Buy Metro: Last Light instead. Expand
  31. Apr 12, 2013
    Fantastic game, fantastic story, fantastic graphics, fantastic gameplay, fantastic characters, fantastic locations, fantastic twist, fantastic enemyes and truly sad ending.
  32. Apr 7, 2013
    Pros: Setting is masterfully crafted and well-detailed. Good main characters. Lots of style and flair. Decent story with a moral backbone that few other games have.

Cons: Gameplay leaves lots to be desired. Like its predecessor, Bioshock, it still leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the game these titles are supposed to be the spiritual successor for: System Shock 2. Bioshock Infinite is a shooter with extremely light RPG influences, and even as a shooter, it's only an OK one. Playing B:I, I myself looking forward to the dialogue between the main characters--which thankfully there is plenty off--but nearly falling asleep during gameplay segments, looking forward to them being over so I can get to the next scene. Also, the UI looks nice, but it's terrible from a usability perspective, especially on the PC. The gear system, for example, is pitifully designed.

All in all, it's a well-polished game. I love that it's focused on single player only with no frills. I love the game's themes and design. But the gameplay is so shallow, the AI is weak, and I'm left with little desire to play the game again.
  33. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece. Quite literally, one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. People will speak of this game for decades to come, not just for what it did, but for what it helped lead to long after its creation.
  34. Mar 27, 2013
    After playing this game I have one word to describe how I feel about it. Wow; it was one of the most fascinating and well thought out games that I've ever had the pleasure of getting my fingers on. It runs well on a wide variety of machines and my goodness the ending? It will set your brain on fire. I'd like to congratulate Irrational Games on this monumental triumph and I have to say IAfter playing this game I have one word to describe how I feel about it. Wow; it was one of the most fascinating and well thought out games that I've ever had the pleasure of getting my fingers on. It runs well on a wide variety of machines and my goodness the ending? It will set your brain on fire. I'd like to congratulate Irrational Games on this monumental triumph and I have to say I look forward to more Bioshock in the future and maybe if we're lucky we can see more of Booker Dewitt and Elizabeth. Expand
  35. Mar 29, 2013
    One of a kind game, enjoyed it. The soundtrack and sound-effects are pretty amazing too! The only major drawback is the graphics. Sloppy texture and details, but the overall game still held together beautifully. I can just close my eyes and imagine how much more beautiful this game could have been made, especially for those who got an extremely high-end rig. I guess 2K spent just enoughOne of a kind game, enjoyed it. The soundtrack and sound-effects are pretty amazing too! The only major drawback is the graphics. Sloppy texture and details, but the overall game still held together beautifully. I can just close my eyes and imagine how much more beautiful this game could have been made, especially for those who got an extremely high-end rig. I guess 2K spent just enough money to satisfy a majority of players and didn't want to spend a penny more to make it a legend. But overall, still a pretty game. Expand
  36. Apr 13, 2013
    Meh. Overrated on mere graphics alone. Yes, yes, yes. We know the "critics" believe it's a "masterpiece", but the vigor's are pointless, the weapon combat is repetitive, and the incessant searching to purchase upgrades is nonsense.
  37. Jun 11, 2013
    The most overrated game of the year, with a ridiculous setting, a badly-narrated plot that made no sense at any point, and that left the player wondering what's happening throughout the game. And the game itself was just an average, straight forward shooter that wasn't even much fun. It was a bore to get through it, and I only endured it because I wanted to see what the ending was allThe most overrated game of the year, with a ridiculous setting, a badly-narrated plot that made no sense at any point, and that left the player wondering what's happening throughout the game. And the game itself was just an average, straight forward shooter that wasn't even much fun. It was a bore to get through it, and I only endured it because I wanted to see what the ending was all about. Honestly, the game is not worth the time invested, and I don't know why all the critics are raving about it. Expand
  38. Apr 3, 2013
    this game is amazing, brilliant, one huge problem the ending it was not as abd as me3 but that ending WTF?, its confusing odd and is just 20 minutes of walking. The rest of the game is great some levels feel a little lazy cough* cough* shanti town, but its still a great story and the tiny tie in to rapture brilliant!!
  39. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm really trying to find meaningful mistakes to rate this game less than 10 out of 10... but I can't. Whatever the little, possible problems it might have, everything is washed away by how wonderfully briliant the overall experience is. When I finished the game, I was in awe. The graphics are stunning and the art direction is nothing short of fantastic, the soundtrack is excellent, theI'm really trying to find meaningful mistakes to rate this game less than 10 out of 10... but I can't. Whatever the little, possible problems it might have, everything is washed away by how wonderfully briliant the overall experience is. When I finished the game, I was in awe. The graphics are stunning and the art direction is nothing short of fantastic, the soundtrack is excellent, the gameplay addictive and the story... oh boy, the story. First of all, I've been noting that some reviewers are citing this to be an "incoherent mess". It isn't. It's a complex, deep story that revolves around so many creative fields and subjects (racism, religion, equality, fanaticism, metaphysics, EVERYTHING is in this game) that it makes me wonder what sort of amazing inspiration the guys at Irrational have been looking through. You WILL care for the characters, you will be shocked by the twists and the ending will make your jaw drop to the floor. Bioshock Infinite deserves ALL the praise it's been getting; was it hyped THAT much? Yes, but totally lives up to it, and manages to surpass it at every single turn. This is the prime example that games are, indeed, a major for of art. Expand
  40. Apr 7, 2013
    Half-Life 2 just lost the throne as best single player campaign ever and the ending even tops the 6th Sense film ("I see dead people"), it's that good.

I can always appreciate a good single player campaign with an engaging story and oh boy, did they deliver with Bioshock Inifinite. I just finished the campaign and it was fantastic. Probably the best campaign I ever played and that

I just finished the campaign and it was fantastic. Probably the best campaign I ever played and that says a lot. The first Bioshock I couldn't really get into. I guess the city of Rapture was a bit too horrific and claustrophobic for my likings. But this game I love: Fantastic art direction, atmosphere, absolutely mind-blowing story (probably the best I ever played) and a great reflection on the darker parts of the history of the US. There's a lot to this game that makes you think and look things up on Wikipedia.

People who are on the fence of getting into this game, I can wholeheartedly recommend it if you like a great story and can appreciate great art work and atmosphere. I you play a campaign for the action/shooting only, then this game is still very solid but might be not too spectacular for you.
  41. Apr 7, 2013
    BioShock Infinite provides a blueprint for engaging players in a meaningful story and captivating their imaginations. Although it struggles in some respects, such as less than stellar boss fights, it manages to mitigate those struggles with excellent pacing and storytelling. This game has incredible production values. Everything from the atmosphere to the environments to the set-piecesBioShock Infinite provides a blueprint for engaging players in a meaningful story and captivating their imaginations. Although it struggles in some respects, such as less than stellar boss fights, it manages to mitigate those struggles with excellent pacing and storytelling. This game has incredible production values. Everything from the atmosphere to the environments to the set-pieces will astonish both old and new players. In many ways, this doesn't feel like a BioShock game. This is not the cramped, dark, and overtly tense game that was the original. This is a much more subtle and dare I say refined sort of tension one where you're unsure of the motives of any given person, including yourself. The climax and ending of the game are worth asking price alone. If you found yourself disappointed with the conclusion of the original, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised after you set down your keyboard and mouse, sit back from the monitor aghast, and begin filling your mind with the infinite. Expand
  42. Apr 6, 2013
    WoW the Game was so good Best of the 3, all i miss is big daddy :P
    The ending was WTF OMG NFW... so shocking i loved it...
    The Game-play is the same with some acrobatics but the whole thing is far better that the old!
  43. Mar 26, 2013
    Possibly the greatest opening I've seen in a video game. Truly inspirational work here. The lighting is fantastic. The shooting is solid the special abilities are cool and the story is superb.
  44. Mar 27, 2013
    fantastic game well worth the wait, i love it and for all those who say dated graphics, why dont you get rid of you dated consoles or get a PC that can actually run this game.
  45. Mar 26, 2013
    this game is damn near perfect in a shooter. if you have not bought this game yet, quit wasting time and get it. easy to play this game multiple times. one of the biggest twist endings to a great story.
  46. Mar 26, 2013
    Great game with one of the most immersing atmospheres I've ever experienced. The game play is throwback Bioshock and the graphics on my mediocre PC are astonishing. I have been switching between using my mouse/keys and a game-pad and I find that they both work equally well, it just depends on preference. I have to say that Bioshock Infinite contends with Dark Souls as my most favorite gameGreat game with one of the most immersing atmospheres I've ever experienced. The game play is throwback Bioshock and the graphics on my mediocre PC are astonishing. I have been switching between using my mouse/keys and a game-pad and I find that they both work equally well, it just depends on preference. I have to say that Bioshock Infinite contends with Dark Souls as my most favorite game in recent memory. Expand
  47. Apr 5, 2013
    Amazing game... A little disappointed that my graphics card isn't supported. Wasn't a game-ruiner though. Story is very confusing to a point where it makes no sense. Things like the silent boy were not very well explained, but other than minor issues this is one of the best games in a while. I recommend this to ANYONE which a good enough PC. If you don't, Lets hope you have a consoleAmazing game... A little disappointed that my graphics card isn't supported. Wasn't a game-ruiner though. Story is very confusing to a point where it makes no sense. Things like the silent boy were not very well explained, but other than minor issues this is one of the best games in a while. I recommend this to ANYONE which a good enough PC. If you don't, Lets hope you have a console laying around... Expand
  48. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is awesome! The AI is good, the graphics look good, not THAT many weapons though, but enough to keep the game fresh through the whole thing, you actually use a variety of vigors, you probably won't just end up using one or two vigors, Elizabeth is really well done, the story is somewhat confusing at first, but you'll understand it after a while, the gameplay is nothingThis game is awesome! The AI is good, the graphics look good, not THAT many weapons though, but enough to keep the game fresh through the whole thing, you actually use a variety of vigors, you probably won't just end up using one or two vigors, Elizabeth is really well done, the story is somewhat confusing at first, but you'll understand it after a while, the gameplay is nothing revolutionary, but it's solid. 9/10 Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2013
    We now have a metacritic title that is tied for first place of all time; I hoped for this prior to the release assuming in this day and age more people would flock to purchase the masterpeice, I nearly cried when Ken Levine of Irrational stated he went to frat houses and asked who knew or had played bioshock and nobody raised their hand.
    After 6 hours with the game; I can give the game a
    After 6 hours with the game; I can give the game a confident 10/10. I do not know where to start but on Ultra with max FoV and the alternate DX11 Ambient Occlusion the game is stunning graphically with art design that shows each artist literally put his or her soul into every area of each set piece. The Plasmid's feel great and are much more unique; I dig throwing people up in the air with the bucking bronco then using murder of crows while using my carbine to pick them off with ironsights. Another thing that feels A+ especially compared to the original, Gunplay; Ironsights are perfect are is the crosshair option.
    I suggest binding right mouse to Iron Sight if you are familiar with FPS gaming, and if you have a thumb button that is where I have my "Use Plasmid" bound.

Health and Vigor restored by food/health packs and cigs/potion/salts can no longer be stored up in the inventory and at first I was looking for how to chug a potion while getting beat up a bit on Hard mode; once I adapted to not being able to use this option in combat I was able to dominate the "New" Bioshock feel.

As for the two greatest highlights aside from Graphics as we can all see it is astonishing (especially buttermilk smooth on SLI 680's) and that the story is incredible (I've fallen in love with Elizabeth already) is the revolutionary AI behind Elizabeth. She becomes a living breathing character that you are able to actually MORE than enjoy the company of. She becomes a friend, a love interest and her innocence makes her that more fragile while her ability to rip tears in time (Spoiler: the first time you see her do it its in the future to a paris premier of RETURN OF THE JEDI). Her AI is absolutely incredible with no problems.

The Skyhook system is flawless and fun; it is like a controllable rollercoaster and it is jaw dropping to Leap off a rail and decapitate a guard down below; it makes you feel powerful but not overly powerful as you'll still get your ass handed to you during portions on HARD mode making you react like FPS gamers should rather than have your perfect plasmid/gun combination always work your way; you'll miss sometimes and Liz will help out as much as she can.

I just wanted to state that I spent 2 hours before any combat came in the game searching around and in awe at the city and the art put into every area. To my surprise I've found my favorite "Minor" moment in a game ever.
    A barber shop Quartet is singing "Music from the Future. Now" due remember this is 1912; and the Quartet is singing a gorgeous rendition of 'The Beach Boys' astonishing song "God Only Knows" off of their revolutionary 'Pet Sounds' album. Being a music geek and a gaming geek perhaps that is a small sign of exactly what Bioshock Infinite is. To music what petsound was at release; Bioshock Infinite is to gaming present day.
    -- If you'd like to check out the quartet singing this GORGEOUS RENDITION please click here.
  50. Jun 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:

- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures)

- Excellent, believable, voice acting. This is the strongest point of the game IMO.

Cons:

- Completely on rails experience. You have this amazing city in the sky, but you can't explore it. You can't use the sky rail to move from one side of the city to the other. There is no sense of exploration. Columbia is reduced to a bunch of kill hallways.

- No sense of atmosphere. You never forgot for a second that you were at the bottom of the ocean in Bioshock's Rapture. You'd hear creaking noises from the water pressure, and see leaking water from the outside coming in, etc. However, Columbia is not this way. You forget that you are floating in the sky unless you actively stop what you are doing to look at a building move slightly. This is the opposite of immersion.

- Bland, generic, boring, useless weapons. I used 2 weapons in this game (volley gun and pistol) for 95% of the game. Except for occasionally using the sniper and RPG, you don't need to use any other weapons. They are there as an artificial display of 'weapon diversity'. Even the guns I did use were boring even when fully upgraded.

- The vigors are completely unoriginal and boring. I did not need to switch between vigors as much as I should of.

- Atrocious enemy AI. They scream and run at you with a billy club while you have an RPG. They seem to take cover and uncover at scripted times.

- Key plot details are left in purposely out-of-your-way places (the Voxophones). If you don't stop everything you are doing and listen to them, then you won't understand the story and ending. This is horrible and lazy storytelling. The audio logs in Bioshock 1 complemented the story, they were not essential to it.

- The story is incredibly convoluted and poorly written, and a lot of complex details are rushed in and thrown at you during the last 20 minutes, so you are sure not to understand. Terrible pacing. Complexity is not a substitute for quality.

- The game is about 8 hours long. This is just downright insulting. Spend $60 to play an 8 hour game? A horrible, boring, poorly written, game no less?

- False Advertising: This was a completely different game than what was shown in the E3 demos. I understand developers sometimes have to cut things out here and there for time reasons. But this was full-on Aliens:Colonial Marines-like false advertising. Watered down visuals (no dynamic lighting), watered down physics (small objects in the world don't get picked up by Bucking Bronco like they did in the demo), watered down animations, watered down enemy AI, and watered down textures. Even the sky-rail is better implemented than the final product. I don't care if it was 'because of consoles' or not. No reason is justified for lying to us. I have no idea why Irrational is not getting sued like Gearbox did.

This is the entire game: You go to an area, shoot some enemies, loot, talk to Liz or have a cutscene, then rinse and repeat. Game of the year? Are you joking?

If you liked the first two Bioshocks in any way, do not buy this game. It is an insult to the Shock series of games.

51. Mar 28, 2013
    Never before have I played a game that I can describe as beautiful in such an eclectic sense. Columbia looks absolutely stunning on the PC. The story is rich and provoking, keeping you guessing and revising your theories as you play. The final scenes will haunt you, driving you (or at least many) to the forums to absorb and discuss thoughts on the plot possibilities. The music isNever before have I played a game that I can describe as beautiful in such an eclectic sense. Columbia looks absolutely stunning on the PC. The story is rich and provoking, keeping you guessing and revising your theories as you play. The final scenes will haunt you, driving you (or at least many) to the forums to absorb and discuss thoughts on the plot possibilities. The music is captivating and enthralling, with all of its drama. With extra orchestral stabs to accent details such as how you finish an enemy, the experience really feels complete and integrated. The gameplay is familiar for fans of the previous Bioshock games, with new innovations to spice things up. Zipping around Columbia and dealing out devastating blows is both effective and immensely satisfying. No game is perfect, as no form of entertainment/art is immune to subjectivity but this game comes so close that it deserves a 10/10 for being worth every single coin spent on it. Expand
  52. Mar 28, 2013
    I really love this game. The stroy is really amazing, and the graphics and the combat system is fun. I was able to connect with Elizabeth and Booker better than any other game characters. The enviorment in Columbia was really good. The part when Elizabeth said she didnt want to go back locked up again by a baddie. This is what made me feel like i had a duty to do. It made me care forI really love this game. The stroy is really amazing, and the graphics and the combat system is fun. I was able to connect with Elizabeth and Booker better than any other game characters. The enviorment in Columbia was really good. The part when Elizabeth said she didnt want to go back locked up again by a baddie. This is what made me feel like i had a duty to do. It made me care for Elizabeth and dieing was not an option to me. The skyline system was very well done. I actually repeated several mission because the skyline action was just too awesome. This is the first game i ever gave a 10 rating, and it deserves that. Expand
  53. Apr 2, 2013
    a 10 hour long game? no thank you. Ok ok, the setting is cool, the combat is fun, blablabla. But seriously, what's up with these movies pretending to be game? ya, you are probably looking at me like you don't speak english but a lot of games these days, including Bioshock, resemble more to interactive movies than actual games. However, i give this "game" a 6 on 10 because it has thea 10 hour long game? no thank you. Ok ok, the setting is cool, the combat is fun, blablabla. But seriously, what's up with these movies pretending to be game? ya, you are probably looking at me like you don't speak english but a lot of games these days, including Bioshock, resemble more to interactive movies than actual games. However, i give this "game" a 6 on 10 because it has the particularity to be a good interactive movie, likes the philosophy behind it... even if, again, the gameplay is dumbed down, repetitive, and battlefield 3 like: run, shoot, hide, wait for shield to come back up. Expand
  54. Apr 5, 2013
    This is a message to all butt-hurt idiots giving a 0 or 1 to this masterpiece. Finally in years you have a smart and complex storyline, mixed in with interesting combat mechanics (even if you are limited to 2 weapons but this idea was probably meant for the 1999 mode in mind), intelligent AI, beautiful graphics and atmosphere. Ken Levine and his team at Irrational Games worked extremelyThis is a message to all butt-hurt idiots giving a 0 or 1 to this masterpiece. Finally in years you have a smart and complex storyline, mixed in with interesting combat mechanics (even if you are limited to 2 weapons but this idea was probably meant for the 1999 mode in mind), intelligent AI, beautiful graphics and atmosphere. Ken Levine and his team at Irrational Games worked extremely hard for this game and you still have immature haters, unable to respect other people's work. Guess the haters will be better off playing a money grubbing mainstream EA like game without any soul what so ever. Creating several account just to bash a game, disgusts me and is a pathetic move. In conclusion It will be remembered as one of the greatest games ever made. Haters gonna hate Expand
  55. Mar 29, 2013
    Pretty mediocre. The gameplay is generally boring, the enemies are stupid, the "vigors" (read: plasmids) are often interchangeable (3 out of the total 8 can be summarized as "stun") and there is far too few of them, and the skylines are a gimmick. The graphics and the level design are neat-o, but graphics don't make a game. The story failed to grip me, perhaps because it is full of clichesPretty mediocre. The gameplay is generally boring, the enemies are stupid, the "vigors" (read: plasmids) are often interchangeable (3 out of the total 8 can be summarized as "stun") and there is far too few of them, and the skylines are a gimmick. The graphics and the level design are neat-o, but graphics don't make a game. The story failed to grip me, perhaps because it is full of cliches or because I was already bemused by the other lackluster parts of the game. Expand
  56. Mar 28, 2013
    I haven't got through this game too far yet but I just don't understand why people love it so much. To put it bluntly I'm starting to find this is a bit of a grind. Enter an area, kill the faceless dull enemies, grab the loot, complete task, kill some more faceless enemies on the way out, grab the loot, move onto the next area. Repeat until end of game.
    It is also very odd that the
    It is also very odd that the Prophet is trying to stop you escaping with Elizabeth but he only sends half a dozen goons at a time to stop you. "What, those 6 goons didn't kill you? Well, just wait till you get to the next zone where there will be another 6 goons waiting".
    The game really lacks the horror and terror I got from Bioshock 2. The first time you encounter a big sister or big daddy in Bioschock scares the crap out of you. I haven't had the same feeling with Infinite yet.
    Bottom line: I just don't find Infinite fun. Usually when I get a new game I play for hours on end until my back starts spasming. With Infinite I play for maybe 30 minutes at a time, at least until I get to the next checkpoint (why can't I save the game when I want, and why can't I save multiple games? Crazy).
    I hope Infinite gets better the further I get into this game otherwise I may end up not finishing it.
  57. May 10, 2013
    Don't believe the media, this game is just another stylized call of duty clone. The most frequent argument of fans is about storyline, but who cares about it if it's still unplayable? I actually don't want to smash LMB+W for 10 hours just to learn new things about in-game pretty cliche world events. First game of franchise was really awesome, a new word in rpg genre, this one doesn't hasDon't believe the media, this game is just another stylized call of duty clone. The most frequent argument of fans is about storyline, but who cares about it if it's still unplayable? I actually don't want to smash LMB+W for 10 hours just to learn new things about in-game pretty cliche world events. First game of franchise was really awesome, a new word in rpg genre, this one doesn't has anything with original, putting player on railway through copy-pasted bad designed decorations. These pseudo contrasts of blue and yellow colors are also awful, while being crammed on each square meter, making sick after first 10 minutes. Expand
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    this review is copied from user Beast_Pot_Pie ecause his review reflects EVERYTHING I think of the game and packs it in nicer written english than I would have been able to write...

quote: "- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures) - Solid sound design and effects. Music in the game helps support the plot at points in creative ways. - Excellent, believable,

quote:

"- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures)

Cons:

There was not one second of this game where I could say it was "game of the year" and "completely groundbreaking" and "setting a new standard for video games" or any of the other hyperbole tossed around from gaming publications."

end quote

seriously, all the superlatives and claims of Bioshock Infinite being "Game of the year" are just a bad joke!
    even worse, those claims made by gaming publications are evidence for the industry buying their good reviews!
    otherwise I couldn't explain how magazines, e.g. Kotaku, Destructoid, GameStar, etc. pp., basically ALL_THE_OTHERS would overlook EERY SINGLE ISSUE this game has and there are just too many, small and bigger.

but, I have to admit, I even find it more troubling, that so_many_gamers seem to not see these problems/faults for themselves...
    I suspect these are mainly younger gamers and/or this generation has forgotten how to form an own opinion, without being introduced to one by some gaming-outlet.

it really is SAD! sad and despicable at the same time... maybe I am getting old (sure I am), but I am deeply thankful that I was raised in a time, where PC games looked aweful. this helped me greatly to see beneath the graphics and all the polish (mainly because there wasn't any) and care for the mechanics and the GAMEPLAY of a game in the first place!

I would NOT say it is a horrible game BUT IT IS NOT A MASTERPIECE either!
    I'd give it 7 points, but it's a 0 to even the score out a bit more
  59. Mar 28, 2013
    This is more of a first impression rather than a full review. So far I've played about an hour of the game but that's enough to get a good feel for every thing except the story which seems twin peakish in nature. I played Bio-shock 1 before playing infinite and a couple of things struck me as I payed: This game was optimized for consoles, not PC's, as the save feature has been removedThis is more of a first impression rather than a full review. So far I've played about an hour of the game but that's enough to get a good feel for every thing except the story which seems twin peakish in nature. I played Bio-shock 1 before playing infinite and a couple of things struck me as I payed: This game was optimized for consoles, not PC's, as the save feature has been removed in favor of a check point system and the game has been dumbed down over all. Graphics are not cutting edge but not that bad either. Characters look plastic and robotic and often go through a short animation loop. Through my play through the character voices didn't sync with the mouth movement of the characters speaking. Guns are much easier to use. Noticed the "infinite" machine gun has no recoil which differs from the first game where the tommy-gun had a noticeable kick back (like a real one would). I encountered my first game breaking glitch about 15 to 20 minutes in at the fair before the raffle. I was at the shotgun shooting booth and when I finished the game wouldn't allow me to exit out. All the other booths worked fine. So far the game isn't gripping me like the first one did. The anti-christian, anti-american under tone is a bit heavy handed and clumsy. Would be nice for a bit more nuance in the story. Games not bad but also no great. Definitely not as good as the reviews are making it out to be. To sum up: The first game was leagues better and this by comparison is over simplified and lack luster.

On a side note I'd like to comment on the odd influx of 10 scores so quickly since the game was released seems suspicious. I'm guessing a fair number of those tens might be from 2K stooges hired to fluff the meta critic score. Buyer beware I suppose but it's still insulting to me as a consumer.
  60. Mar 28, 2013
    The graphic quality of the game is very impressive and really wows you from the beginning. The problems though that I have with this game are numerous. First of all the setting is really not my cup of tea at all with the nazi americans and racism which is uncomfortable to listen to. I do not like the racism, I know its the bad guys saying all that stuff but its a bit much. Next the combatThe graphic quality of the game is very impressive and really wows you from the beginning. The problems though that I have with this game are numerous. First of all the setting is really not my cup of tea at all with the nazi americans and racism which is uncomfortable to listen to. I do not like the racism, I know its the bad guys saying all that stuff but its a bit much. Next the combat is VERY dumbed down, no hacking, rediculous amount of health and salt everywhere and if you run out Elizabeth just magically gives you more for free, infinite ammunition (I loved the previous games where ammo was sparse and you had to think about what weapon to use and how to proceed). The combat is also painfully easy and I was playing on hard mode. The weapons are not nearly as fun as previous games and the upgrade system is much more basic and limited. If you die you just respawn in the same area and the carry on. The combat was one of my favourite features of bioshock and in this game its heavily nerfed, the game really likes to hold your hand. The game is pretty linear, sure you could explore if you wanted to but there is no real reason to do so. I can see how people would love its but for me personally its overated. Expand
  61. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite does look and play nice. It has bright colors, amusing powers and an abundant supply of health kits, salts and weapons/ammunition. But it is also very shallow. The combat lacks tactical depth due to regenerating shield, predetermined tear locations and the overly useful "Charm Object" vigor that works on turrets and automatons. The exploration, although present, doesn'tBioshock Infinite does look and play nice. It has bright colors, amusing powers and an abundant supply of health kits, salts and weapons/ammunition. But it is also very shallow. The combat lacks tactical depth due to regenerating shield, predetermined tear locations and the overly useful "Charm Object" vigor that works on turrets and automatons. The exploration, although present, doesn't offer any extra options except for an occasional infusion. Your choices do not matter at all (you only have two, to be honest). You get your answers too late to change your perspective on things and the ending is way overcomplicated. Yet it's a merry roller coaster ride with bright colors and amusing vigors that go boom. Just not quite as engrossing as the first Bioshock or System Shock 2. Expand
  62. Mar 30, 2013
    Another run of the mill FPS/RPG. The only thing is has that stands out is the graphics. It is not worth the starting price. The story is decent but its 10 hours... then game over. The game has NO replay value. So if you're ready to pay the big price for a game you will play for 8-12 hours go for it. If you want a avg. run of the mill RPG... be my guest! If you can wait and get it onAnother run of the mill FPS/RPG. The only thing is has that stands out is the graphics. It is not worth the starting price. The story is decent but its 10 hours... then game over. The game has NO replay value. So if you're ready to pay the big price for a game you will play for 8-12 hours go for it. If you want a avg. run of the mill RPG... be my guest! If you can wait and get it on sale through steam for $15. I have been playing video games for 20 years. The people that are giving it 10's are 16 and haven't been playing RPG/FPS for very long, that's my guess because other wise you won't be able to stomaching giving this game over a 6. There is nothing wrong with being new to the RPG world, but this game isn't a 10. Skyrim isn't a 10, so how could this be a 10? I would give this game a 7.5 at the VERY highest. Expand
  63. Mar 29, 2013
    I'm just going to put a 6/10 since I'm feeling generous.
    I'm just going to put a 6/10 since I'm feeling generous.
    Columbia isn't even half the environment of Rapture for one and the world isn't given nearly as much explanation and depth. The map is no longer open like the previous Bioshock games. There's a 2 weapon limit, and you can't duel wield powers and weapons. There isn't special ammo. There's no hacking. You can't use health kits or salt kits as inventory items. The father/daughter relationship is really ham handed and was done better in Bioshock 2. The guns are relatively unremarkable. The tonics are replaced by rather boring clothes that aren't nearly as game impacting as the tonics were.
    The vigors are really cool though, shame how they couldn't be upgraded as well as in Bioshock 2 and 1. The heavy hitters were interesting, but could be easily destroyed by RPG fire. The story was mediocre, and the ending was done in many other media as well. The ending of Nier and even EYE: Divine Cybermancy was better.
  64. Mar 26, 2013
    While I have issues with the pacing and logic of the game, it is still a beautiful and immersive experience. It is fun as well as thought-provoking. It has moments of intense combat and of great emotional impact. It is visually stunning, even more so on a decent gaming rig. It is by no means flawless, but what does work like the Elizabeth AI, the shooting/vigor mechanics, the Skyline, theWhile I have issues with the pacing and logic of the game, it is still a beautiful and immersive experience. It is fun as well as thought-provoking. It has moments of intense combat and of great emotional impact. It is visually stunning, even more so on a decent gaming rig. It is by no means flawless, but what does work like the Elizabeth AI, the shooting/vigor mechanics, the Skyline, the atmosphere, the minute details such as Dimwit and Duke, et al. is implemented with such precision that I was simply enthralled. Expand
  65. Mar 30, 2013
    Wait till 75% off on steam or even better buy something else. Another average game aimed at the teenagers, its very disappointing that mainstream gaming has become as boring as the movies being made. Every time i play one of these so called 10/10 games i find my self looking backwards in time for the real masterpieces of video games.
  66. May 17, 2013
    Extremely overrated game. Combat is a major lackluster it uses a cheap but emotionally stunning plot twist at the end which could last for days until you wake up and realize that this game has major flaws. Apparently all those "official" reviews were still dreaming while scoring it.
  67. Apr 4, 2013
    Well.... We know now that the marketing for this game was a success. 65 bucks for a 2 day game with no multiplayer? No thanks. Zero challenge in this game. Free supplies and unlimited lives built right in. The A.I. Let me take my time to line up my head shots. And the story? Wow. If you don't have an answer for something just use another dimension to fix it all up. I give a 10 to theWell.... We know now that the marketing for this game was a success. 65 bucks for a 2 day game with no multiplayer? No thanks. Zero challenge in this game. Free supplies and unlimited lives built right in. The A.I. Let me take my time to line up my head shots. And the story? Wow. If you don't have an answer for something just use another dimension to fix it all up. I give a 10 to the marketing team that's it. Rent it,beat it, forget it. Expand
  68. Mar 28, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is Bioshock PERFECTION!! The original Bioshock was my first introduction to FPS. Infinite brings it to 11. Well done! It's going to be difficult to compete with this one.
  69. May 23, 2013
    Hyper Magazine says It isn’t perfect", so then why give it a perfect 100?

The game is huge, the effort that went into it is enormous. It is fun, but I am half way through and can't really be bothered going any further. The narrative is just not that interesting and I find myself switching off and just pressing N all the time to try to get to the end as fast as possible.
  70. Apr 10, 2013
    An immense world with gothic buildings and very nice artwork stuff with hype and a boring story. After a few hours you'll realize that that's all there is it to is a laggy fps with absolutely no interest. I never finished the game so I dont know how the ending is. The rest was nice but boring.
  71. Mar 27, 2013
    You are absolutely absurd. You down rate the game for such reasons as you don't like the thematic, it's not realistic enough, or just to be a troll. Do you realize how many years ago this game started to be advertised, and yet here you are having bought it, IF you don't like these kinds of games why do you buy them in the first place. Take for example, I don't like Guild Wars 2, I don'tYou are absolutely absurd. You down rate the game for such reasons as you don't like the thematic, it's not realistic enough, or just to be a troll. Do you realize how many years ago this game started to be advertised, and yet here you are having bought it, IF you don't like these kinds of games why do you buy them in the first place. Take for example, I don't like Guild Wars 2, I don't play it, but most people say it's an excellent game...why am I going to go troll about it and give the game a bad rating since I already know beforehand I am not going to like it? Moreover, if you want a game that's tailored to your every need and desire, why don't you go make your own game? exactly! You don't have to sit here and be a troll and ruin it for others who would have probably liked the game. They weren't making the game only for you, like your very own personalized version or something like that. You do not gain anything by trolling, if a person want to buy the game they will do it regardless of what you post here, because it is their choice that they can make, and no matter what some troll on the internet says is going to stop them ok. By have a nice day. Expand
  72. Jan 12, 2014
    It is a good game but not a great one. I wasn't going to grade it, but it got too overrated for me. The worst part was the game's repeatability and predictability (especially if someone has already played it's predecessors). Also, it had a slight console taste, which never gets along with my game taste buds.
  73. Apr 6, 2013
    I loved this game so much, from start to end. I started to play this when it first came out at midnight, and was so immersed, the sun was up and I didn't even notice. There are minor flaws, but I was expecting those because the game is still fairly new. It was very good and polished for the most part. This game nails it on the head in about every subject. I am not trying to fanboy here,I loved this game so much, from start to end. I started to play this when it first came out at midnight, and was so immersed, the sun was up and I didn't even notice. There are minor flaws, but I was expecting those because the game is still fairly new. It was very good and polished for the most part. This game nails it on the head in about every subject. I am not trying to fanboy here, but finish the game, and you will see what I mean. I don't really consider the BioShock games shooters, so people who like games such as CoD, Battlefield, etc. for the most part will not enjoy this game as much. I was getting the same feelings after I played this as I was when I finished Half-Life 2, and that is really saying something. Expand
  74. Mar 26, 2013
    This game sets a new bar for the fps genre, it reuses the unique formula of the previous bioshock games and implemented it well. And I'm glad Irrational games and the crew took the time to polish the game. This game is a great experiences and it is possibly one of the stronger contestants for Game of the year.
  75. Apr 5, 2013
    One of the best game I have ever played and if you can play it on PC, you should do it. Great story, combat and aesthetics. Most definitely recommended.
  76. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is one of the best I have played in the last 5 years, but it is not everyone is going to see why it is such a big deal, as the makers have tried to maintain a balance between shooter and interactive story, but have ended up doing a slight disservice to both.
    I have had friends report they found the game to be enjoyable, but they were confused by many aspects of the story. When I dug in to why, it is because they completely missed key elements of the story because the game makes it far to easy to just skip the story and move on with the combat.
    If you are someone who loves a good story, and you are willing to make the effort to let the story unwrap around you, paying attention to the amazing level of detail in the environment, then this is going to be one of the best games you have ever played.
    If story isn't your thing, or you don't like digging for details, or you just want to shoot stuff... you will probably still get enjoyment out of this game, but you will be left wondering what the hype is about.
    Despite being technically "dated", the graphics in this game where some of the best I have ever seen. By embracing the limitations of their engine, and focusing on solid art direction, 2K/Irrational games have created an environment that was far more compelling to me than any of the super engines like Battle Field 3.
  77. Apr 6, 2013
    I played and loved (Still love) Bioshock 1 and 2.
    They were really awsome and I hope there will be more games telling more stuff about rapture...
    I played and loved (Still love) Bioshock 1 and 2.

Bioshock Infinite was a new experience. Everything was new and the game was not just like bioshock 1 and 2. I mean the feeling was totally new, the graphics so fantastic (I like it when games are games and not like the reality), all the dialogues funny and constructive and still it was bioshock. If you had the same feeling like me with bioshock 1: seeing this beautiful city called rapture and stuff, then you will experience the same feeling right here.

And i must say: While playing i always thought "What is this? What is happening? I don't get it!" because the game story is focused on the end where you will suddenly understand everything. I for myself started thinking about the end. I started to think about the consequences the result of the game would have. This end will even let you think about the story of bioshock 1 and 2.

For me, this game is a totally must have. But if you only want "real" graphics, which copy the reality, and no story, then play Call of Duty and stuff like this.

(I am german, my english isn't perfect but you understand what i mean, that's for sure)
    MfG
    Wilcon
  78. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS!

Just finished the game, took me around 30+ hours.

I'm glad I decided to play 1999 mode on my first play through, it made the game really challenging and I died just enough times.

This was a really special game, what a mind blowing and rare experience! Grabbing my favorite kind of game, (fps rpg) and wrap it around a really good story. I loved how rich and alive the world feels, you really feel you're in this city with its own twisted culture and beliefs, and I loved how you were there before everything went to so you actually got to see the beauty and majesty of Columbia. I mean, the city breads believability, electronics all have a brand, and so does food, clothing, alcohol, tabaco, etc. I love how themed everything is, everything makes sense and its not only there to fill up the environment. From FINKs crates to Prophets propaganda props.
    Another thing Irrational Games nailed once again, was what I like to call environment storytelling, the way dead bodies were placed and the destroyed stuff around them, if you take a second to absolve the room you're in, you can really picture what happened in there with you're mind. I like to all this the "half eaten donut moment" from the movie Aliens, you don't always need to tell a story, just present pieces of it, like puzzle pieces, and people will put it together in their minds, and IG artists and designers always excelled at this, it is so inspiring for me.
    It really felt that the artists made the art of the game to support both the gameplay AND the story, and not only to make a pretty game, and for those who work on the games industry, you know how challenging that is!

Gameplay wise, I gotta say the combat is loads of fun! Weapons feel really good, and I found myself using a wide range of weapons through the game, but ultimately I used the Sniper/RPG combination the most. Enemies and AI are smart and challenging enough, Melee and shotguns guys strike at you while rifle and other dudes take cover and whatnot. Overall I found the combat really rewarding and fun, this is a shooter after all so I'm glad they made it compelling to just shoot at bad guys.

I gotta say though, the Vigors in the game are really poor. I found the Plasmids in Bioshock a lot better somehow and I found myself using pretty much all of them, whereas in Bioshock Infinite I pretty much only used a couple, and rarely.
    Bioshock gave you a lot of temptation to use the plasmids, well placed oil puddles, water puddles, Telekinisis to get unreachable stuff and other things. Maybe the levels in that game were smaller and easier to design/play with plasmids, but still...
    Another thing, the game never really forces you to use the Vigors, I remember in Bioshock they made you use the Electro Bolt to open certain doors, Fire to ignite certain areas and open frozen doors, etc, etc. On Infinite Vigors are exclusively used for combat, maybe they did that to simplify the game, make it more mainstream, along with the idea of removing hacking and lock picking.

Also, I kept waiting for that big moment when you had to fight the all mighty and feared Songbird, but that moment never happened, in fact, its curious how this game doesn't have many bosses, I can only think of one, Lady Comstocks ghost. You have those mini-boss guys with the crows and the handymans, but still, bit of a wasted opportunity there for a badass boss scene when Songbird kidnaps Liz and take her to Comstock.
    And speaking of Comstock, anyone else think his death was extremely anti-climatic? You slap his head and drown in a water puddle? Again, wasted boss potential there, I was expecting the final fight with the Prophet to be one of a kind.

Still in the subject of bosses, wtf was that last boss scene? If I can call it that? They just trown enemies and Motorized Patriots at you, and that's it!! No epic climax boss scene... In Bioshocks last boss scene, they make you fight Atlas, this big ass mutated and the game makes you use all the Plasmids you've got to be able to beat all the stages of the boss, which is awesome cos it makes you use everything you learned during the game, where's in Infinite you just get normal enemies being trown at you... Again, wasted opportunity for a epic climax!

Bioshock was one of the best and the most memorable games of the last decade for me, Infinite builds on top of that legacy and makes it better in many many many ways, unfortunately it was also a bit streamlined in many ways.

With that being said, this was one awesome game that will live in my memory for many years, if not ever! I might have sounded overly negative or critic, but it was only because I care about it so much and was able to see the tiny flaws of it. I can't praise this game enought though! I'll be playing it a second time soon for sure, and I can't wait for the dlcs, curious to see what they'll come up with.

Oh... And the end cutscene, with the plot twist and all, damn!
  79. Apr 3, 2013
    lets forget about the score........i dont even played this game yet...its about feeling and moods...alcohal drugs and hate....a word called love..............and long lost ...whatever........10 means its all good forever and i agree :).....................i must provide a score ....like i said 10 then :P
  80. May 30, 2013
    This game is simply incredible. My words cannot do it justice. Best game I have played in a long time. Story telling at it's very best with great graphics and some of the most satisfying combat in any game I have ever played. Loads to see and do here and a game I will play through many times. I don't understand why this game has had negative reviews but I guess you cannot pleaseThis game is simply incredible. My words cannot do it justice. Best game I have played in a long time. Story telling at it's very best with great graphics and some of the most satisfying combat in any game I have ever played. Loads to see and do here and a game I will play through many times. I don't understand why this game has had negative reviews but I guess you cannot please everyone. I normally buy my games in the sales on steam; however I paid full price for this game and was not disappointed....worth every penny. Expand
  81. Mar 31, 2013
    All I can say about this game is WOW! The game starts amazing the player in its initial moments and does not let. The visuals are great and while the plasmids from the early Bioshock games return the added elevation and skyrail mechanics really add to the combat. The game is very linear, which plays wonderfully into the games story with it's many twists and turns that I only began to startAll I can say about this game is WOW! The game starts amazing the player in its initial moments and does not let. The visuals are great and while the plasmids from the early Bioshock games return the added elevation and skyrail mechanics really add to the combat. The game is very linear, which plays wonderfully into the games story with it's many twists and turns that I only began to start to figure out just as the reveal was coming. Also, I know that there are many things I have missed on my first playthrough that are embedded into the games ascetics revealing more story. Worthy of all the 10/10 scores? Game mechanics wise maybe not but story wise? Absolutely. Expand
  82. Mar 30, 2013
    Gorgeous scenery, amazing music, satisfying combat, and superb voice acting. Infinite is a well put together game, that feels as though it was meant to be something else. I've followed Infinite for a very long time, since rumors broke about it. It's hard to play the game and not hear Ken Levine's early words, about the morality system, interactions with Songbird, and ideas of how the storyGorgeous scenery, amazing music, satisfying combat, and superb voice acting. Infinite is a well put together game, that feels as though it was meant to be something else. I've followed Infinite for a very long time, since rumors broke about it. It's hard to play the game and not hear Ken Levine's early words, about the morality system, interactions with Songbird, and ideas of how the story was meant to evolve. You can even see how the game was originally going to be during the first chapter, and then it slowly fades away. That 'longing' aside, the story is still a bit lacking. It feels cheap and convoluted, at best. Especially towards the end. Overall a fun experience, that feels a bit shallow and pieced together. Expand
  83. Mar 30, 2013
    It has been far far too long that the gaming industry has creating a game with such an excellent story and characters. If fact, it has probably been since HL2. The graphics are great and the gameplay is very fun and fast but the real magic lies in the art, story, music and unforgettable characters that creates probably one of if not the best game of the decade. I am usually quite harshIt has been far far too long that the gaming industry has creating a game with such an excellent story and characters. If fact, it has probably been since HL2. The graphics are great and the gameplay is very fun and fast but the real magic lies in the art, story, music and unforgettable characters that creates probably one of if not the best game of the decade. I am usually quite harsh with games since it has been a common practice for developers to shove out the same garbage year after year with little to no creativity or ingenuity but this game is one of those rare gems that surface every once in a blue moon. While not overly long it is still in my opinion a perfect length. I found myself not wanting to go to fast because I wanted to savor the story! Elisabeth is one of the most engaging female characters I have encountered since Alex Vance. There are few games that deserve a 10/10 but this is absolutely one of them. Expand
  84. Mar 30, 2013
    I never invested much time in the original BioShock games, so I came to BioShock Infinite with some what mild expectations and was half hopeful it would keep me entertained one afternoon. The game delivered that and much, much more. The story is a bit of a mind-twister, but adds to the allure that few if any games ever accomplishes. The gameplay is a roller coaster ride, and while I sayI never invested much time in the original BioShock games, so I came to BioShock Infinite with some what mild expectations and was half hopeful it would keep me entertained one afternoon. The game delivered that and much, much more. The story is a bit of a mind-twister, but adds to the allure that few if any games ever accomplishes. The gameplay is a roller coaster ride, and while I say that almost literally, there is so much going on that kept me entertained for hours on end. The graphics, while some might argue are outdone by other games in the FPS genre, are in my opinion, still freaking brilliant. The characters are also quite lively, especially Elizabeth, of whom probably belongs on some list for the best female NPCs ever made. While I hate to do this in a review, I simply cannot resist giving this game a 10/10. It is awesome! Expand
  85. Mar 29, 2013
    probably THE best game i played in my life its not the game of the year its the game of the decade.
    This game is a masterpiece something that will last for life.
  86. Apr 2, 2013
    Was there a problem with this game? Yes. TOO SHORT!

This game is absolutely wonderful. One of the few games that I have played straight through. Graphics are excellent. Gameplay is strategic. City is great fun to explore. Science fiction elements of the game are nicely integrated. You definitely won't go wrong to play this title. I liked it much better than Bioshock 1 & 2.
  87. Apr 4, 2013
    It feels like you are playing a movie but three times longer and better. Amazing graphics, Amazing story. Not a single game out there made me care more a bout a certain character than bioshock infinate did. Masterpiece
  88. Mar 30, 2013
    Believe the hype. Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece. The developers at Irrational Games have managed to provide yet another masterpiece to the gaming community, and this one will be talked about for years to come. It's a visually stunning accomplishment with an excellent narrative that challenges you to question the nature of life, death, and ultimately, your own reality
  89. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I almost wanted to give this game an 8, but then I remembered that I had so much fun playing it that I wanted to play it again right away! The thing about this game is that I loved it for the gameplay and characters, but it falls short in a big way for me personally. This was a fun game, but the story is somewhat flawed. Now I'll say right now, and admit right now, that in a game like this there are automatically going to be things that you have to take as is. In a fantasy/sci fi/surreal game or whatever you can call this insane game, you have to accept that there are things that there are no explanation for. Which is fine because there's no reason to spend hours explaining how the skyhooks actually work, and how you can jump from a skyline 50 meters onto the ground and take not a lick of damage. It's pointless, as Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit", the game doesn't need to explain little things like this because it detracts from the story. But the problem is that character reactions are often... I would say confusing. >spoilers< First of all when you find Elizabeth and break her out, after she sees that she's been watched, she starts asking "What am I!?" First of all, Elizabeth is probably the best thing about the game, but the dialogue in the first part of the game is actually kind of silly. Why would she ask "what am I?" You find out almost instantly that she spent all of her time trapped in the tower reading books, that's how she knows how to lockpick, read geographical coordinates, and that crap. Yet even with all that reading she doesn't find it weird that she can open doors to other dimensions? Nothing even hinted to her that this wasn't normal? I was actually kind of surprised personally that she didn't catch on. There's a lot to be asked about her in general. Basically we are told songbird took care of her while she was in the tower, but that leads me to wonder why she can even talk or read in the first place. She acts like a refined citizen, even more strangely speaking like she's from the year 2000 (as if that is a humans default speaking tone), no old style accent or cadence like booker. The problem here is twofold; she is a fully grown, well groomed female with exceptional vocal skills yet she acts like she has no idea about things outside the tower. She seems to have a comprehensive knowledge of columbia sometimes, and other times not at all. Examples like not knowing what cotton candy are, or why there are two different bathrooms for racial types seem like pretty weird things. Especially the bathroom thing, racial separation is a pretty big thing in columbia. Beyond the strange behavior of the characters which often raises more questions than anything, the fact is Elizabeth is the most impressive AI character to ever follow you around in a first person shooter. Her facial expressions reflect the mood of the level, when you stand around she'll often go lean on something or look at an object on the ground. She will be shocked when you mutilate someone with the skyhook, on top of all of this she's about as strong as she looks aka not very. It's nice to see a female character in a video game that isn't the typical "feminist opinionated butch chick". Elizabeth is probably the most impressive part of this game besides some of the visuals that have been put together. Lastly the story. The story is a little more jumbled than the first bioshock, it still seems to make sense at first, but the later half of the game starts to get a little bit well, stupid. The closer the game seems to get to the core of all the WHY questions that have been put in your head the less it seems it's going to reveal them. The writing is the typical bioshock style. By which I mean psuedo intellectual philosophical crap. It's all the same as the first bioshock, a lot of stuff that sounds cool, but in the end could mean a million different things to different people, and ultimately fails to deliver a message that results in a conclusion. By the end of the game you wonder why you should even do anything because the longer the game goes on the more Elizabeth seems to know but can't explain to you. Eventually I felt like I was just following her around hoping for the best. In the end that's really how the game ends. With you following Elizabeth around, hoping for an answer to why and how any of what happened happened. But it doesn't quite get there. Even with all of that crap in the story though, the ending is definitely not bad and the story is definitely not boring. Albeit silly and often cryptically pointless. In conclusion great game, ambiguous but interesting story, and fantastic character personality. Expand
  90. Mar 30, 2013
    You've undoubtedly heard many praises surrounding this game, and it's my opinion that it lives up to the hype. The only thing i took issue with, was the somewhat "rigid" aiming system. It's not a impediment to enjoying gameplay, but as is, can be annoying at times. Graphics and voice work is excellent and although some people might disapprove of the "comic" inspired character designs, iYou've undoubtedly heard many praises surrounding this game, and it's my opinion that it lives up to the hype. The only thing i took issue with, was the somewhat "rigid" aiming system. It's not a impediment to enjoying gameplay, but as is, can be annoying at times. Graphics and voice work is excellent and although some people might disapprove of the "comic" inspired character designs, i enjoyed it. The story and character development is very well done, the details of which you'll have to find out yourselves. It's a welcome and worthy addition to the franchise, especially after the disappointment that was Bioshock 2. Expand
  91. Mar 30, 2013
    Fantastic game. The twist in the story alone is worth the price of admission, and when the last secrets of Bioshock Infinite emerged unexpectedly, my jaw literally hit the floor. Beautiful graphics and excellent use of the unreal engine. The gameplay while a little stripped down from the original dosnt diminish the quality present in the game and the skyhook you get to utilize later on inFantastic game. The twist in the story alone is worth the price of admission, and when the last secrets of Bioshock Infinite emerged unexpectedly, my jaw literally hit the floor. Beautiful graphics and excellent use of the unreal engine. The gameplay while a little stripped down from the original dosnt diminish the quality present in the game and the skyhook you get to utilize later on in the game is intense and fun to use. Elisabeth is an awesome character and by far my favourite female game character hands down. A ten out of ten in my opinion there really is nothing to complain about in this game. Expand
  92. May 16, 2013
    Bioshock infinite is a work of art. If you play it how it is meant to be played- by taking your time and exploring the game is extremely satisfying. The combat is fast paced and exciting but the best part is the story. The same level as a movie such as Inception. The game is beautiful and captivating.
  93. Apr 10, 2013
    People who think this game is overrated are probably either not honest did not take the time to play the games correctly ,Or have too much expectation of what a game should be TAKE YOU TIME ENJOY THE SHOW .

This is a very funky and cool game Of course the story was not written by Charles Dickens or Tolkien give them a break, come on ! The graphics are simply fabulous the blend

The graphics are simply fabulous the blend of Disney type and digital graphics is amazing the heroes and characters are credible and you get found of them the voice acting is perfect .

I am proud to have purchased this games and in the same time encouraged the peoples who have worked so hard on it !

I can describe the game as being an interactive cinematic story telling shooting gallery type EASY FUN AND BEAUTIFUL. A nice way to get out of the daily routine .

the games that i have loved Monkey island Half-life serie Fall-out 3 and LAS Vegas Titan quest Dead island Civilization
  94. Apr 5, 2013
    There is no denying that Bioshock: Infinite is a very well made game. The story is superb, the voice acting is great, and environments are spectacular. This game does everything possible to immerse you into a wonderful story.

The gameplay however, did not live up to my expectations. The presence of Elizabeth constantly handing you ammo and salts trivialized the otherwise frantic hunt for ammo and the need to try new weapons based on what was available. The enemy types also felt painfully repetitive and the "founder" enemy type with the machine guns felt very over used. Also, there was no need to try out any of the vigors as I progressed. Based on the descriptions, some of the first few vigors in the game (Shock Jockey, Devil's Kiss, and Murder of Crows to be exact) seemed like the best 3 vigors in the game. Same thing with the gear the first four items I found were never replaced because they seemed like the best gear I could have equipped leaving no real sense of progression throughout the campaign other than the occasional weapon upgrade.

The campaign was great but I do feel that some sections were unnecessarily elongated. During the middle of the campaign when you are searching for machines to make weapons and traveling back and forth between dimensions in the same area I did not feel any real sense of purpose and felt like I was aimlessly wandering. Additionally some aspects of the plot, while very interesting, felt overly complicated and it almost requires outside research to understand everything.

After beating the campaign, I felt no real desire to replay it. Most of the fun involved getting to the end and having everything explained to you to tie the story together. After knowing how it ends, playing the campaign again, ever on a harder difficulty, just seems like it wouldn't be as fun.
  95. Apr 9, 2013
    This game has a really somber story, which is definitely not something that i like, but I do approve of it on a more technical level. The writing is some of the most intricate I've ever witnessed, and everything is a 'logical' progression of events that you can follow if you're not trying to finish the game at 4 AM. I have a love/hate relationship with Bioshock Infinite, but I also have toThis game has a really somber story, which is definitely not something that i like, but I do approve of it on a more technical level. The writing is some of the most intricate I've ever witnessed, and everything is a 'logical' progression of events that you can follow if you're not trying to finish the game at 4 AM. I have a love/hate relationship with Bioshock Infinite, but I also have to respect it, because what it did; it did near perfectly. Expand
  96. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding game with an exciting and engaging story, a beautiful, detailed environment, and a unique combat system. The exploration alone makes the game worth buying. The story and pacing are both done extremely well, without any nonsense moral decisions tacked on. The only reason to dislike this game is if it falls outside your personal tastes. This game is about the story and theAn outstanding game with an exciting and engaging story, a beautiful, detailed environment, and a unique combat system. The exploration alone makes the game worth buying. The story and pacing are both done extremely well, without any nonsense moral decisions tacked on. The only reason to dislike this game is if it falls outside your personal tastes. This game is about the story and the ability to explore every corner and rooftop of the immersive environment of Columbia. Players who can appreciate these things will not be disappointed. In addition, elements like tears and skylines give a fresh new take on combat this is enjoyable and a break from the repetitive nature of most new shooters these days. Overall, an excellent game. Stop reading and go play it. Expand
  97. May 16, 2013
    A gorgeous world and intriguing story, inspired by utopian/dystopian fiction and American history. Expertly-crafted and beautiful game-world with enough stop-and-stare moments to fill your hat. Very polished and technically almost perfect. However, I would agree with some of the comments here that the gameplay just isnt' quite as good. The shooting is a fun experience, but nothing thatA gorgeous world and intriguing story, inspired by utopian/dystopian fiction and American history. Expertly-crafted and beautiful game-world with enough stop-and-stare moments to fill your hat. Very polished and technically almost perfect. However, I would agree with some of the comments here that the gameplay just isnt' quite as good. The shooting is a fun experience, but nothing that stands out. You won't remember the game for its gunfight action, but you will be mesmerised and propelled along by the sheer craft of the world, characters and unfolding story. If they had this world, mixed in with the kind of multi-choice gameplay dynamic of something like Dishonored, then the game could have got top marks. I'll certainly go back and play through again in the future a solid 8-8.5. Thanks Irrational! Expand
  98. May 24, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite takes everything we know about linear gameplay and does it all right. With an unrivalled plot, the likes of which overwhelm all but the 'A-est' of the A-list Hollywood movies, The most compelling efforts of the writers is to convey the underlying themes that don't become apparent until late on in the story and with a beautifully devious twist of an ending, it certainlyBioshock Infinite takes everything we know about linear gameplay and does it all right. With an unrivalled plot, the likes of which overwhelm all but the 'A-est' of the A-list Hollywood movies, The most compelling efforts of the writers is to convey the underlying themes that don't become apparent until late on in the story and with a beautifully devious twist of an ending, it certainly leaves the player wanting to get on the wiki site ti learn more. Bioshock Infinite is certainly one to be remembered, and with the nourishing level of detail, forgetting the beauty (and ensuing chaos) of Columbia will prove difficult for any gamer. With the physics engines and graphics cards of 2013, Infinite leaves us thinking "Damn, if only Rapture had looked this good."

If anything could be said against the game, it would be Irrational's lack of effort towards creating a fully function AI society. Whilst the player is indeed submerged in a city with non-aggressive AI to bolster the feeling that you are in a real human settlement and not just a war zone, Irrational struggles to do this improvement over the game's predecessors any real justice with the lack of interaction between the AI and the player itself. One finds themself questioning the difference between taking stuff from a chest of drawers and taking stuff from a chest of drawers with the word 'steal' at the bottom of the screen, demonstrating the scripted incidents carried out by the competely robotic artificial intelligence.
  99. Mar 27, 2013
    For me, this game is Portal 2 all over again. As a game compared to universal standards it's awesome, but compared to its predecessor (I only acknowledge the first), it falls short. But it certainly goes pretty far to meet the bar set by the original Bioshock. The beginning is an atmospheric masterpiece, but after a minor complication with your first escape attempt the plot loses someFor me, this game is Portal 2 all over again. As a game compared to universal standards it's awesome, but compared to its predecessor (I only acknowledge the first), it falls short. But it certainly goes pretty far to meet the bar set by the original Bioshock. The beginning is an atmospheric masterpiece, but after a minor complication with your first escape attempt the plot loses some steam. Later in the game, the plot turns upside down in typical Bioshock fashion, and though it's well executed I didn't much care for it. As always, the ending is mindblowing and anyone who uploads a video of it should be shot on sight. Graphics aren't earth-shattering, but the lip-syching and voice acting are phenomenal. Probably the best part of the whole game is the interactions between Booker and Elizabeth as their relationship changes throughout the story. Conversations are believable with just the right amount of ambiguity to keep you guessing about the story, and Elizabeth is by far the best videogame support character in history, barely nudging out Alyx Vance of the Half-Life series. This game should never be sold for less than $50, but I do take issue with the "pre-purchase DLC" scam they've got going on on Steam. Expand

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]