8.4

1. DavidM.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Essentially an overrated and glitchy remake of System Shock 2. It has some pretty graphics, where they work, but it is very linear, has little atmosphere and feels clunky to play.
  2. Rob
    Aug 23, 2007
    Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for the game in order to enjoy the game. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess youI bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  4. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  5. PhilH.
    Nov 11, 2007
    The console version might be all well and good, because it's practically unique for an X360 title, but on the PC Bioshock is relatively poor. Combat is slow and boring and the RPG elements are almost non-existent, so all you get is basically a very poor FPS dripping with pretension. The much vaunted characters and story are also a serious disappointment.
  6. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant. I forced

I forced myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  7. SergeyS
    Jan 31, 2010
    Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary fire modes, weapons are primitive (gun, shotgun, tommygun - how original is that?) Money and items make a weak attempt at an RPG-shooter but fail completely. You don't even have a normal inventory. Switchin bullet types is too micromanagerial. This game does not know what it is or wants to be. And mouselook is terrible. I played tons of shootes, I played Q3 and CS competitively, and I have never been so frustrated by such unnatural aiming etc. Overall - 5/10. But for making big fuss about it - 2/10. Expand
  8. Franko
    Mar 29, 2008
    The most over-rated game i hav ever played!do yourself a favour and DONT BUY THIS,dont believe the hype and reviewer comments! this game is repetive,terrible story,only like 3 types of enemy! there is nothing good about this bar the graphics.
  9. biosux
    Nov 19, 2007
    1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading 1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure on the 360 this game feels a lot better but on PC it's a pale imitation of it's spiritual predecessor (system shock 2). It doesn't even work ergonomically, it's got useless controls and when it's not crashing the gameplay is actually very poor. See edges or gamecritics review for the real skinny on this 'game'. Avoid like the plague or at least try on rental,.. oh hey that's exactly what you do when you BUY the PC version because the DRM means you get a few installs and that's it, even with it's revoke tool, it doesn't work so you basically won't get to install it much every time you reformat, which thankfully you won't want to anyway because the game is that dull. A damp squib in the firework box of PC gaming and one best killed off before it's legacy comes to represent the 'best' of what gaming has to offer. Expand
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  11. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  12. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good

Cons:

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  13. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  14. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  15. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  16. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from beingFrom the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a consoleBioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  18. TimI.
    Oct 5, 2007
    It's been a wide commercial campaign to miss this glamour game, but from the first moments it dssapointed me: meaningless, linear and all the same. Huinya, I think.
  19. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  20. UndyingZombie
    Feb 5, 2009
    I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with most games ) but also failed to deliver what the devs have claimed it would. The blood looked like raspberry jam/jelly. Watered down gameplay, and graphics. ( Some visuals where nice, however it was still a bit watered down. ) When the game was first out, if you died, no matter what difficulty.. there was really no penalty.. you came back and you can finish off what ever you where fighting to begin with. Granted even then unless you are new to fps games, that did not happen often even on highest difficulty. ( Granted, supposedly they came out with a patch allowing the player to turn this "feature" off...too little, too late in my opinion. ) Now, some of my complaints from here on out are due to, well.. I had followed this game since the first bit of information was released. Back when it was PC only, and there was going to be plasmids and other things that would allow you to change the pressure of the area and various other things. Lots of things where cut out when they decided to make it also for the consoles. ( When that idea was hatched, it was going to be released on PC,Xbox360, and PS3 at the same time. ) Later, it turned into a "xbox360 exclusive" ( Meaning, Xbox360 and PC but PC being more of a port than it being fully made on it. ) I have to be honest, this really felt like the game was "dumbed" down considerably. Especially considering what the devs had stated early on before the change to make the game for consoles as well. Yea it does sound like I am bashing it, and yes I kinda am. It did have its good parts, but I have to say it. It does not deserve the praise it has gotten. Its a ok game, but not a great one. If you don't care about money, and you don't care about installing SecuROM on your system, ( Your better off getting this for the console(s) FYI ) then I would say go ahead and buy it. However most people care about the money, and the majority of the people who know about SecuROM and what it is.. stay away from it. I would just advice you guys to rent it for the console(s) if you have one of the console(s) that this game is on. Expand
  21. {DvT}Hex
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in order to get rid of SecuRom. Expand
  22. JoshuaMarks
    Nov 17, 2007
    When i first played it i thought maybe it will get better, but it didn't. i swear i must have been playing a different game to everyone who gave it above a 4. it was just like your average FPS. It does not even have online capabilities, so compared to games like COD4 and even the only Unreal games its not worth playing at all.
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that wasdont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  24. MZ
    Sep 12, 2007
    The only good thing about this game are the graphics. Other than that, there isnt even 24 hours of gameplay, the storyline is almost non-existant and there is no replay value what-so-ever. Borrow it from someone who already bought it rather than shelling out your own money.
  25. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  26. SebastianJ.
    Jul 6, 2008
    This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is wobblier than an octogenarian. The splicers were awkward to fight and endlessly repetetive, all the characters (with whom we were supposed to relate) look like plastic, and for a purported RPG, this game has almost no genuine customisation options; I've never seen a worse case of consollitis. The degree of cooing praise for this game makes me sick. The 2 points are for the well-executed ripping off of Fountainhead/AS, and for the hard work 2K's art department wasted on this atrocious shadow of System Shock 2's glory. Expand
  27. AnonM.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Totally agree with most of the rest low voters. just hated it. I expected too much I guess since this game is annoyingly overrated. critics and players should be more careful in their reviews to avoid causing great expectations.
  28. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game.

I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  29. CODYLANDES
    Sep 14, 2007
    i hate this game it is not as good as halo by a longshot i hate the game the story line is short i got this game last week and i have beaten it twice it is to easy who ever likes this game is werid i hate it halo is better bioshock does not deserve first place halo does and it will be once it comes out halo actully makes sence and it i boring and it sucks
  30. D.S.
    Oct 23, 2007
    It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i had so much cash for ammo from hacking damn near everything i saw, which became painfully repetitive very quickly. The big dadies are a joke after the first few levels, and AI is piss poor. There isn't any gameplay choices that actually effect how you play or what you will experience in game besides a different set of voice overs here and there- i was marketed to that this was certainly not the case- that bioshock was groundbreaking in this regard. A large part of the second half of the game feels like it belongs somewhere else. The atmosphere was among the best of any game ever released- but they let it go to waste on a very ordinary set of game mechanics and an extremely anti climatic finale... buy it if you like being dissapointed. Expand
  31. SebG.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Clumsy and plain, hidden behind a dull ('innovative') setting. Repetitive and utterly non-immersive, the 10-rating reviews read as if they are meant to be sarcastic. Criminally overrated. I wouldn't bother.
  32. S.G.
    Oct 8, 2007
    First I couldn't get the game to run because I use a tool other than Windows task manager to view running processes. Then, after I got it running, it was very pretty; stunning, in both graphics and sound. Then I discovered the linear, comic book story aimed at 10 year olds, and kill-everything-that-moves FPS action. Then I quit playing. This is just the next step in FPS game AI and First I couldn't get the game to run because I use a tool other than Windows task manager to view running processes. Then, after I got it running, it was very pretty; stunning, in both graphics and sound. Then I discovered the linear, comic book story aimed at 10 year olds, and kill-everything-that-moves FPS action. Then I quit playing. This is just the next step in FPS game AI and graphics evolution. Just because its better than some of the more repetitive, older FPS's out there, (any one of the DOOM games) doesn't make it great or even good. Expand
  33. NathanH
    Aug 25, 2007
    Such a pity. Great art direction is wasted on the same old crap dressed up in pretty clothes. No sense of build up or tension, repetitive combat, contrived plot. The atmosphere that people are going on about is actually the 'potential atmosphere' this game could have had if it was made by capcom
    Sep 20, 2007
    Great concept, but marred by horrible instability and random (show-stopping or experience shattering) bugs.
  35. GeorgB.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Bioshock is an arcade shooter with some pretty art direction and and a decent attempt at telling a story. Gameplay is another question however. Its short. Its very linear. It relies on too many "oh no blood" moments and Neither the FPS nor RPG side are particularly well developed. This would have been a 6/10 if it had multiplayer and a less obstrusive activation system. As it is, Bioshock Bioshock is an arcade shooter with some pretty art direction and and a decent attempt at telling a story. Gameplay is another question however. Its short. Its very linear. It relies on too many "oh no blood" moments and Neither the FPS nor RPG side are particularly well developed. This would have been a 6/10 if it had multiplayer and a less obstrusive activation system. As it is, Bioshock deserves about 3/10. Expand
  36. AdrianH.
    Sep 30, 2007
    After downloading the demo and cruising through it, I found myself wondering why on earth anyone would spend more than $10 for this game. Sure, the graphics weren't too bad... but thats about the only thing worth mentioning.
  37. RemusRupa
    Sep 9, 2007
    i would have give it 1 but it has some nice graphix but it still has some graphic errors and the engine is not that good 3 ( let's buy the unreal engine used by 9999999 games and do some improvment so we don't have to work so hard : )
    story 0 it just doesn't make any sence
    sound 0 i got that stupid looping sound gameplay 3 (hacking is like ****, turrets in 1960 wtf,
    story 0 it just doesn't make any sence
    sound 0 i got that stupid looping sound
    gameplay 3 (hacking is like ****, turrets in 1960 wtf, electric gel wtf, audio logs/pda that's not from doom 3 :/ ,only 2 enamies well only ok there are many splicers butthey are just the same, horror my ass it's not that scarry, above all a city under wather that has gone wrong and all the zombies ups splicers running and the one who is helping you turns bad now that's not from doom 3 NO : ).
    So i don't get why in the world is rated so high?????????
    I mean 96 WTF STALKER is 100 times better and it got 86 i think
  38. AndrewG.
    Jan 5, 2008
    The zero may seem harsh - but is a reflection of its several sins matched against its hype. Entirely implausible in its contextual setting, both in the technology and its internal reasoning. Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were The zero may seem harsh - but is a reflection of its several sins matched against its hype. Entirely implausible in its contextual setting, both in the technology and its internal reasoning. Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid. All choice is an illusion, save the alternate ending sequence (thanks Youtube), because your character will always progress as a jack of all trades (magic-user/warrior/gunman/hacker). Contrived restrictions abound whenever the heavily-scripted story decides to advance - invisible barriers guarantee linearity, gameplay contradictions and impossibilities occur where needed (being frozen while on fire, a bottle weighing more than a corpse...) - and if you do stray from your intended path, prepare for objects to implausibly emerge from the ether, as enemies do throughout the game (of which there is astonishingly little variety). The concept of two men going insane and at each others throats is far less compelling than the idea (within SS2, deep breath) of two security AI's going haywire versus a psychic alien race versus the crew of the Von Braun and Rickenbacker, and asks dreary questions of morality rather than those of possibility. Additionally, the narrative of escalating chaos and madness within either of the System Shock games is superior, and scarier. It is difficult to let this game be called 'innovative' and 'ground-breaking' when all it does is to weakly mimic the gameplay concepts that made the System Shock series convincing. Furthermore, SS2 achieved quite different environments within each of the ship decks, while in the alien, inside the smaller vessel, and in the nightmare mind of Shodans AI. Bioshock plays through endless dark, claustrophobic, albeit attractive art-deco designed rooms or underwater passageways, filled with noisy vents and infinite, increasingly annoying baddies. This is as Oblivion is to Morrowind or Daggerfall - pretty, but dumb, inexplicably gaining better reviews despite sacrificing untold potential for the sake of watery water and bricky bricks. And yes, the water is quite watery (most watery in fact, until Crysis was released). My true score for this game would be 7.2/10 - an average shooter - so this zero is to perform my part in bringing the reader average to that end. If you have a brain get STALKER or The Orange Box - or System Shock 2 if you can survive antiquated graphics. Expand
  39. JonJ.
    Feb 4, 2008
    What this game succeeds in is atmosphere and immersion in a great environment. What it doesn't succeed as well in is the combat and the RPG elements. The combat involves creatures that immediately run into your face up-close. It's so very repetitive. The RPG elements are somewhat inventive but they don't wow me over, either. This game is so very hyped by fans and that just What this game succeeds in is atmosphere and immersion in a great environment. What it doesn't succeed as well in is the combat and the RPG elements. The combat involves creatures that immediately run into your face up-close. It's so very repetitive. The RPG elements are somewhat inventive but they don't wow me over, either. This game is so very hyped by fans and that just shows how desperate we have become even for a moderately good first person FPS game with some mild RPG elements. This game says that graphics, atmosphere and immersion matter much more than depth of gameplay perhaps because ease-of-entry is more important than longevity and replayability. My favorite part of the game was completing the photography tasks for the artist guy who then celebrates with the nice fireworks and great speech! That was indeed cool, but it wasn't RPG. Expand
  40. A.NOther
    Mar 7, 2008
    I just dont enjoy playing bioshock. It plays like a cheap console FPS with RPG elements. The artwork and themes are pretty cool but are let down by ropey graphics and lighting. The whole game is just so dissapointing, i cannot see what people are raving about so much! Bioshock may be deeper than Halo 3 or Crysis, but its faliure to pull off basic FPS elements and engage the player result I just dont enjoy playing bioshock. It plays like a cheap console FPS with RPG elements. The artwork and themes are pretty cool but are let down by ropey graphics and lighting. The whole game is just so dissapointing, i cannot see what people are raving about so much! Bioshock may be deeper than Halo 3 or Crysis, but its faliure to pull off basic FPS elements and engage the player result in a game of quality not aproaching either of these titles. Expand
  41. Ikke
    Apr 13, 2008
    Sure... the game looks just AWESOME... But the story is very vague / confusing and does not interest me to play any further. Stupid thing is, even if I wanted to play any further, the game simply won't let me. Like many others I have a problem with the game crashing at certain point's in the game.
  42. vespinevespine
    Aug 5, 2008
    It is ridiculous that this game scored so high! Yes it is a good game but it is far FAR from the 5th best PC game ever made, as the reviews would lead you to believe. I'm glad the user reviews are a little more realistic! I have one thing to say about this game: WTF is a vending machine dispensing a one use weapon upgrade?!!? Come on? Dumbest feature in a game ever. Even worse is It is ridiculous that this game scored so high! Yes it is a good game but it is far FAR from the 5th best PC game ever made, as the reviews would lead you to believe. I'm glad the user reviews are a little more realistic! I have one thing to say about this game: WTF is a vending machine dispensing a one use weapon upgrade?!!? Come on? Dumbest feature in a game ever. Even worse is that it would have been very easy to do something a lot more interesting and believable, like, for example, you simply FIND a weapon upgrade in a locker, or cupboard or something! Or if you really like the vending machine idea, make it cost a rare plasmid or material that you only find one of in the level or something, was that so hard? Are we supposed to believe someone built a free weapon upgrade vending machine that has exactly ONE charge, and lucky for you, no one else has used it up yet until you come along! So very dumb. Ok, one more thing: The end boss was completely out of place in the game, just about enough to ruin the game by itself if I didn't think there was other things wrong with it. Deus Ex deserves the number 5 spot way more then Bioshock, hell, even COD4 deserves it more. Yes 3 is probably low, but i'm scoring relatively, realistically i'd give it a 6. Expand
  43. JohnJ.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Nice idea, but bad game.
  44. PaulT.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Bioshock uses invasive DRM to require the game to use an activation server. Despite now removing the activations limit, the game still needs an activation server for life! How will we install this game in the future when that activation server is turned off?
  45. RomanS.
    Feb 18, 2009
    This game is just horrible. It really doesn't deserve a rating of 96, instead I would rate it with 40. I had no fun with playing the game at all. After WEEKS I've finished it, just to reach the end, and I was happy I don't have to play it anymore. I bought it on Steam for 5 dollars but Bioshock isn't even worth one Cent. Do NOT buy this game, it is hyped crap
  46. Magnus
    Apr 6, 2009
    I'm still wondering how this game is the #1 on Steam...it was good, but it wasn't NEARLY as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. Primary reasons: It's ludicrously short...the game and bosses are pathetically easy(yes, I played it on hard with the BioRevTanks turned off...and I beat it in six hours), and (***SPOILER***) the final boss is perhaps even the easiest among I'm still wondering how this game is the #1 on Steam...it was good, but it wasn't NEARLY as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. Primary reasons: It's ludicrously short...the game and bosses are pathetically easy(yes, I played it on hard with the BioRevTanks turned off...and I beat it in six hours), and (***SPOILER***) the final boss is perhaps even the easiest among them all. The different forms of enemies are extremely limited and universally easy to overcome. All that's necessary to beat this game is a handful of choice plasmids, a wrench and a shotgun. I do have to say, the story was riveting. I did however, get tired of the insanely long dialogues over that pesky radio. So if you're a weekend warrior looking to brag that "Yeah, I beat BioShock!"...no one will be impressed. Borrow it from your friend, play it once, buy Mount&Blade and play a real RPG. Expand
  47. CH
    May 6, 2009
    Yes, the graphics are superb. The system and gameplay are unique. But that's it. First of all, I find those junk box (or the thing which sells stuffs) a nuisance. I dont mind a money system, but hacking the machine by completing some pipe connecting puzzles? Please! This is a FPS!!! Those real physical puzzles from HL2 are already at the limit, and this 2D puzzles are simply Yes, the graphics are superb. The system and gameplay are unique. But that's it. First of all, I find those junk box (or the thing which sells stuffs) a nuisance. I dont mind a money system, but hacking the machine by completing some pipe connecting puzzles? Please! This is a FPS!!! Those real physical puzzles from HL2 are already at the limit, and this 2D puzzles are simply unacceptable. It's not that I am bad at puzzle solving but I simply cannot stand the mixtures. What's worse, I've actually solved more puzzles than shootings. And considering that those shootings are barely shootings with "guns". Ammo runs out at the speed of light, and I've seen myself using melee weapons all the time.... Sometimes I wish that I can break the glass roofs so that I can drown the whole darn city. Expand
  48. AlanM
    Jan 7, 2010
    I think Bioshock sucks. While it is pretty to look at, the sound effects are very week. the guns don't even sound like a gun. Plus it is too hard to get through, even on Normal. I get killed within 2 or 3 minutes every time.
  49. MrGamer
    Nov 10, 2007
    I had so much hope for this game, with all the great reviews and user comments posted everywhere not only in Metacritic. But despite my waiting for almost three months to make sure a patch and all the bugs were ironed out, Im so disappointed upon getting this game. First, the auto internet updating procedure upon installation sucks! What if you only have a dial-up connection? 2K, consider I had so much hope for this game, with all the great reviews and user comments posted everywhere not only in Metacritic. But despite my waiting for almost three months to make sure a patch and all the bugs were ironed out, Im so disappointed upon getting this game. First, the auto internet updating procedure upon installation sucks! What if you only have a dial-up connection? 2K, consider not everyone has good internet connection! Also, upon finishing the very,very long installation time which took almost the entire day, I had an adventure just running the darn thing!! It's so unpredictable if it will run or not, despite being qualified to run the game in my system. 2K, no matter how good the game is, it's all out the window if it won't run!!! And you charge $50 for this crap? Shame on you!! You wasted many days in my life trying to get the thing to work on my PC, and until now, it still does not work!! I may just throw the DVD in the garbage bin where it belongs. Last 2K game I bought was Civilization 4, which was excellent.. but then this? Very, very, disappointing. Expand
  50. MrGamer
  51. MrGamer
  52. ThegiDDl
    Oct 18, 2007
    Really, really nice graphics, story is quite well, but there are always the same enemys, difficulty doesn't increase at all.... I'm very disappointed
  53. KatO.
    Oct 4, 2007
    It's a mediocre game. Many of the "new" features were made ages ago, and about 8/10 of the "revolutinary interactive gameplay" has already been made in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic! This game has kinda sorta some decent graphics, kinda sorta a decent storyline - but besides that? Well... I wouldn't quit my day job.
  54. B.M.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Nice visuals, but absolutely boring gameplay - nothing new. a big disappointment.
  55. DaveA.
    Aug 22, 2007
    Horrible bugs out of box. Unable to see mouse cursor. Horrible FOV for widescreen users. Tons of graphical glitches. I expect this quality from EA. I'll just be waiting for Starcraft 2 now. Blizzard never goes wrong.
  56. WesleyC.
    Aug 24, 2007
    The thing that makes me really, really mad is that you need one of the best graphics cards just to play. Now games these days are so called "Pushing it to the limits" which makes them think that the graphics are the only things that matter! Bioshock is just one lucky game that has good gameplay with next-gen graphics. There is no way that I'm spending hundreds on a new graphics card!!!
  57. JB
    Aug 26, 2007
    It's not so much a game as a collection of reproducible bugs. It would get at least a 9 if you could do things like save.... or load the second area... or pull out the revolver... or... you get the idea. It looks like they just kind of released the alpha or something and said 50 DOLLA YOU BUY OK??
  58. AndyWilson
    Aug 27, 2007
    It is a great game. It is totally unique. It is unlike anything you have ever played before.......

It is also completely unplayable on the PC. Forced mouse accelaration with no way to turn it off? I mean come on. No serious gamer will ever play a game with mouse acceleration on. FOV issues. 70degrees fov in 4:3? Crazy. The norm in PC gaming is 90degrees. When they announce this game they said it would be designed for PC gamers. It isn't it's designed for XBOX360, ported to PC and set for people using a 360 controller on their PC. If you play with the controller, its fine. If your a real PC gamer who want mouse and keyboard control, don't bother even looking at the game. It will be the biggest waste of money ever. If you don't know what mouse acceleration is, you'll enjoy the game and think it's the best thing you've ever played, and that's probably because it is. Just a shame they can't make it for serious gamers.
  59. RobertG
    Aug 28, 2007
    I'm sure the game is great, if you get it to start. The 1000+ posts in the "outstanding pc problems" thread on 2k:s support forum bears witness to major problems though. In said thread not a single reply from 2 k can be found. In short - no game performance can nullify the complete and utter disregard from 2k against the thousands of buyers that are reporting trouble even getting theI'm sure the game is great, if you get it to start. The 1000+ posts in the "outstanding pc problems" thread on 2k:s support forum bears witness to major problems though. In said thread not a single reply from 2 k can be found. In short - no game performance can nullify the complete and utter disregard from 2k against the thousands of buyers that are reporting trouble even getting the game to start (on more than adequate machines, I might add). Nope, sry - 2k flunks in my book. Expand
  60. JC
    Aug 29, 2007
    11 out of 10 for the game. It rocks much from what I've seen in the DEMO>

-11 for Dunderhead implementation of SONY's secureROM software that is locking people out of the game with limited activations (2 max). Don't know if it's in the Steam version, I won't be buying till I find out.
  61. JoLef
    Sep 3, 2007
    So much expectation....
    Looks awesome.
    I read about all the bug and crash that everyone is having.... Well guest what, THEY'RE TRUE! The little intro finish, can't wait to get going, ok the door is open GO! One step only 1, bioshock.exe not responding...?!? WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! My brother had other problem with sound and everything. .. That game is uninstalled forever..
    So much expectation....
    Looks awesome.
    My brother had other problem with sound and everything. ..
    That game is uninstalled forever.. unless a BIG update.
  62. Matthewunknown
    Sep 9, 2007
    Bought the retail version of bioshock, installed it and the game would not even start. Spent hours with customer support trying to figure out why the game would not work, they couldn't figure it out.My computer specs are well above minimum requirements.I sugest downloading and playing the demo before purchasing this game or waiting till all the bugs are worked out. Never have had Bought the retail version of bioshock, installed it and the game would not even start. Spent hours with customer support trying to figure out why the game would not work, they couldn't figure it out.My computer specs are well above minimum requirements.I sugest downloading and playing the demo before purchasing this game or waiting till all the bugs are worked out. Never have had such a horrible experence trying to get a "retail" pc game to work! stay away!! Expand
  63. SHODAN
    Jan 12, 2008
    This game is a backwards step from the decade-old game it is imitating. Elements not lifted directly out of System Shock 2 are those that were stripped from it in the dumbing-down process. This says a lot about the current state of the industry.
  64. tv
    Nov 7, 2008
    Bioshock starts out OK. It's got a good atmosphere starting out, but it doesn't keep that up. It just gets boring very fast. The enemies are tedious, weapons are unbalanced (I run around with all ammo and money maxxed out half the time), some levels are confusing (what to do next? How to open the door to the next part of the level, that sort of thing). The graphics are all very Bioshock starts out OK. It's got a good atmosphere starting out, but it doesn't keep that up. It just gets boring very fast. The enemies are tedious, weapons are unbalanced (I run around with all ammo and money maxxed out half the time), some levels are confusing (what to do next? How to open the door to the next part of the level, that sort of thing). The graphics are all very shiny, like everybody running around is very very wet and slimy all the time. The only beautiful graphics are in the little sister characters, all other characters are just plain ugly! There were a few cool moments, and even a couple of smart or innovative things, although most of those get boring very fast (hacking stuff is irritating after, say, 10 times, and certainly after the 500 times you are supposed to do it). All in all I'd give it a 5 or a 6, but for the average's sake, a zero. This game is simply listed too high! Expand
  65. SteveP.
    Oct 7, 2008
    The game installs invasive copy-protection (DRM) on your PC, and it does not get removed when the game in uninstalled.
  66. RandallM.
    May 28, 2008
    Totally sucked. It crashed my computer after 15 min of boring, crap quality play. One reviewer said this game gets you hooked immediately. Not So.
  67. JoeM
    Jul 22, 2008
    Despite a promising start, this game quickly disappoints, as it becomes apparent that in the midst of all the game's atmosphere, they forgot to make it fun. That is to say, shooting enemies is boring, regardless of your weapon or special powers. Add to this clichéd anti-intellectualism and a gaming world devoid of motivation and you have a distinctly sub-par game.
  68. NestorB.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Bioshock is one of the most buggy games I ever played. Lots of problems to make it work properly, lots of crashes. Not even the patch works. You only have to go to the forums to see how many people complains about this game. Besides the constant crashes, yeah, I could play the game, and...well, the gun sounds are...quite poor... the graphics, they all look like cartoons... it's just Bioshock is one of the most buggy games I ever played. Lots of problems to make it work properly, lots of crashes. Not even the patch works. You only have to go to the forums to see how many people complains about this game. Besides the constant crashes, yeah, I could play the game, and...well, the gun sounds are...quite poor... the graphics, they all look like cartoons... it's just all go and go and go...absolutely linear...ambientation? try stalker, this one is just gotham underwater, i've seen that city so many times...and the plasmids...you kidding me? "plasmids"? sounds like something sweet and soft you can eat in the cinema...and the guy just finds a neddle and uses it, yeah, very common... Sorry guys, didn't like it at all, it's just a very common shooter exchanging guns for "plasmids". Very, very common... My rating goes for the crashes! (still quite annoyed...) Expand
  69. xioxenna
    Jul 8, 2008
    Great looking but shallow, linear, very little true customisation, 4stars all for effects and atmostphere, precious little in the way of a challenge, attrocious ai, cant understand ANY good reviews this game has got, it's just completely untrue.
  70. Viktor
    Dec 28, 2009
    Looking at the score I expected something that would blow half-life 1 into the dust as the most innovativ game and best gaming experience. However it is a boring game which I had to force myself into playing through. I don't understand how the criticts could fall for this game as they have. It is a mediocre FPS.
  71. MichaelT
    Feb 14, 2009
    I comment this for the overrated Critics score. Learn to critizice.
  72. CharlesB
    May 2, 2009
    Game is fantastic if it would work properly. I have never played a game so buggy in my life, yes... this one is worse than Age of Conan at launch for bug issues. I got stuck on the 6th stage of the game because the game would crash when zoning in. This game would have gotten a 9 or a 10 from me if it would have worked correctly.
  73. JamesL.
    Nov 17, 2007
    On PC, this game plays like what it is - a bad console port with none of the problems ironed out. Although the graphics are hardly ground breaking (think unreal 2004 with bad textures and fancy water effects), this game is a resource hog, and it still runs like crap on high end systems. The sound likes to glitch at random too, forcing me to restart the game. Although the story is decent, On PC, this game plays like what it is - a bad console port with none of the problems ironed out. Although the graphics are hardly ground breaking (think unreal 2004 with bad textures and fancy water effects), this game is a resource hog, and it still runs like crap on high end systems. The sound likes to glitch at random too, forcing me to restart the game. Although the story is decent, the gameplay is boring, repetitive, and frustrating. Enemies respawn out of nowhere in areas you have already cleared just seconds before. The non-plasmid weaponry is uninspired and ineffective, plus aiming is extremely hard thanks to a poor mouse look implementation. This is one game that is better left on console. I want my money back. Expand
  74. wadzkup
    Aug 25, 2007
    waste of money, terrible and overhyped. No variety in the enemies (warping or shooting guns isnt variety) and they say you have choices to make, the only choice is to harvest or save girls... the story was so incredibly weak that I reinstalled hl2 to get that bad taste out of my mouth. Valve better make tf2 worth it....
  75. goggruel
    Aug 25, 2007
    VERY poor quality - game is GREAT - but no as complex as system shock - more FPS then anything - story line is ok (the sound quality to hear it is POOR - game crashes and resets all settings every 30 mins or so - DONT BUY FROM STORE - buy it from steam - it gets patches 1st and has a lot less problems
  76. kingj0nking
    Sep 21, 2007
    This game has many bugs. If you don't mind that, the game is very very very very very VERY easy.. The gameplay is very short too. It's not all that great. You can use the wrench the whole way though the game... It's an okay game but not worth a 10 or a 100 like all the other mindless raters... You can kill the big daddys with a wrench, i figured out how to not die to one This game has many bugs. If you don't mind that, the game is very very very very very VERY easy.. The gameplay is very short too. It's not all that great. You can use the wrench the whole way though the game... It's an okay game but not worth a 10 or a 100 like all the other mindless raters... You can kill the big daddys with a wrench, i figured out how to not die to one and kill it on the hardest mode.... You don't get enough bullets if you just want to shoot your way though it. Waste of money IMO. Expand
  77. TerryS.
    Sep 25, 2007
    Support sucks, inability to play on active video cards
  78. DavidP.
    Nov 24, 2008
    It was fairly boring. You are kept busy in bioshock, but the things you do are repetitive and not actually fun, hack this, hack that, choose what upgrade goes in what slot. select a plasmid shoot ememy, select wrench hit enemy, repeat. Graphics are very pretty but i don't care about that very much, i care about gameplay/ game pacing/ highs and lows/ moments that get your heart racing It was fairly boring. You are kept busy in bioshock, but the things you do are repetitive and not actually fun, hack this, hack that, choose what upgrade goes in what slot. select a plasmid shoot ememy, select wrench hit enemy, repeat. Graphics are very pretty but i don't care about that very much, i care about gameplay/ game pacing/ highs and lows/ moments that get your heart racing or make you panic or decide to tease an npc before killing him because he annoyed you by jumping out from a corner. There are not enough different enemy types in bioshock. I liked HL and HL2 because there was variety, open skies fast moving in a boat to claustrophobic tunnels etc etc, sometimes a crab was hidden and got a bite out of you so you get a fright but you're not going to die = game variety. Bioshock is repetitive indoor boringness. Story was interesting-ish but gameplay is more important and bioshock doesnt have it. Games i have an opinion on: Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, HL1, HL2 and the episodes - great but some are old. FEAR Perseus great, scary. moh series, good. cod 1->3 good but old, cod4 AWSOME. Prey, avg. Stalker, annoying as hell uninstalled after 3 hrs. Timeshift, cool concept but pacing is not there because of time controll, therefore fairly boring. Oblivion TES, 3rd person doesnt interest me, looks boring. Crysis, good. Team fortress 2, awsome. Portal, very cool. Expand
  79. Jake
    Jan 26, 2008
    I give this a low score to balance the undeserved praise lavished on this mediocre title by "the critics." Bought the game based on that hype and wondered whether the reviewers had been bought off or just plain desperate. Yes a few pretty graphics, but no totally killer world design, the animation and gameplay was subpar and pretty childish/arcade-like, the story not that thrilling or I give this a low score to balance the undeserved praise lavished on this mediocre title by "the critics." Bought the game based on that hype and wondered whether the reviewers had been bought off or just plain desperate. Yes a few pretty graphics, but no totally killer world design, the animation and gameplay was subpar and pretty childish/arcade-like, the story not that thrilling or unique. I'll never play it again after the first run-thru. Save yer $$ til the price drops if you have to have it, otherwise look to other titles. Expand
  80. anonymous
    Oct 25, 2009
    very boring game, was expecting something brilliant and in return got a dud. most boring story in a video game yet. very redundant game play. the 4 points come from the outstanding artwork but in a video game it doesn't make up for the poor mechanics and the lack of hook-factor.
  81. Bozik
    Mar 27, 2009
    I'm not sure why these critics loved this game so much. for me, i just couldn't get into it. the weapons were, so-so, nothing overly special, or maybe they were so unique they were just stupid. storyline was nothing special, kind of random actually. but the biggest pain in the ass for me with this game, is the shocking shortage of ammo and money to buy ammo or heals. personally I'm not sure why these critics loved this game so much. for me, i just couldn't get into it. the weapons were, so-so, nothing overly special, or maybe they were so unique they were just stupid. storyline was nothing special, kind of random actually. but the biggest pain in the ass for me with this game, is the shocking shortage of ammo and money to buy ammo or heals. personally i am a very ammo conserving guy, in almost all games i have no problem with money, ammo, heals, etc. but they simply werent made available which made progression slow and boring. I HAD high hopes for this game, it was a terrible let down. Expand
  82. StevenH
    Aug 29, 2009
    Baby's first System Shock. Crude, Tim Burtonesque art style that belies the supposed "scary" atmosphere. Generic and pointless upgrades. Lack of challenge. Extremely repetitive gameplay. Endless running. Cliche storyline. At one point in the game you disguise yourself as a "Big Daddy", a genetically altered sentinel that dons an armored diving suit and wields a rivet gun or drill Baby's first System Shock. Crude, Tim Burtonesque art style that belies the supposed "scary" atmosphere. Generic and pointless upgrades. Lack of challenge. Extremely repetitive gameplay. Endless running. Cliche storyline. At one point in the game you disguise yourself as a "Big Daddy", a genetically altered sentinel that dons an armored diving suit and wields a rivet gun or drill (pictured on the cover). As far as the game is concerned this equates to putting a camera filter on which represents the tunnel vision of the helmet. Despite the fact that your character is the same sweater-wearing beatnik that he always was, and looks like it, everyone treats you like you are wearing the suit. Whenever you die, you are respawned about 100 feet away. You actually have to "delete" some plasmids to make room for new ones - something that doesn't make sense in the context of genetic modification (not to mention the unbelievable powers that are granted thanks to it, unlike System Shock 2's cyborg explanation). This is because the game is just System Shock 2 but dumbed down for consoles with an even less coherent storyline, which is more or less on par with Quake or the first Half-Life, and yet people laud this game for its story. About 10 hours of gameplay and no multiplayer. Very overrated. Worth about $5-$10, perhaps. Expand
  83. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. oing beyond "run and gun corridors," "monster-closet AIs" and static worlds, BioShock creates a living, unique and unpredictable FPS experience. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no Expand
  84. Jun 2, 2013
    Loved the atmosphere and the story, but the gameplay is EXTREMELY lacking.

Everything gameplay-wise is poorly designed, from the frantic looting to the poor puzzles and messy equipment window.
  85. Jul 20, 2013
    Well, this game is awful... why? VITA CHAMBER... I can not think of any other easiest game than this one... what's the point on playing on HARD difficulty if those damn vita chambers resurrect you anytime you die?!!?! I literally beated this game using the wrench 95% of the times, I even beated big daddies with the wrench... BORING!
  86. Jun 25, 2014
    ok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i canok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i can honestly say i had more fun play cod ghosts. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.