8.4

1. Aug 29, 2012
    i am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi ami am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gay Expand
  2. May 4, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about this game, and I have finally finished it. Truth is, the game is really good. Amazingly good. The voice acting is very convincing, actually the storytelling is good because of the convincing voice acting. The story has a little twist, and it is actually deeper than I expected it to be. This is one of the game you would never forget after playing.
  3. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

Bioshock has an amazing story with an outstanding setting. The voice acting is phenomenal, the controls are fluid, and the gameplay is extremely fun. There is only one flaw that keeps this game from being flawless: the difficulty. No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the game. No matter how many times you get your ass kicked by a splicer, or how many times a big daddy smashes your skull with his over-sized boots, you'll always respawn just seconds after you die with little penalty. This somewhat feels like the game is holding your hand all the way through. You can turn off the Vita-chambers so this doesn't happen, but you can still save/load the game at any point... which kinda cancels out the point of turning them off in the first place.

The difficulty is not what makes this game amazing, it's the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the creepiness, they mystery, the suspense... the list goes on. I can't go too much into detail about it however, because it's not something I can explain. You have to play the game yourself to understand.

Bioshock is a fantastic game, and my favorite one to this day. It's a shame that it's buried under tons of other games people hold above it. But, I guess under the sea, things are different. (That was a pun.)
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    What an atmosphere! What a story! What a gameplay!

A perfect first-person shooter with role-playing elements. I can't stop myself by searching all over the map. Details, items, upgrades etc. Everything is perfect!
  5. Jan 21, 2012
    The best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and sawThe best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and saw the trailer, I thought it was about a pedo trying to kidnap little kids in a wierd city. But once my friend told me that I had to play it and sent me a gameplay video, I knew I would be hooked. And I was, it turned out to be a great game and loved it. So, if your looking for a good game that is linear and isn't an RPG, then you have to play this game. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is pretty neat.
    I found it a bit short, but perhaps I'm just to used to RPG's. Which bring me to another point: this game is labeled as an action RPG, but I saw no RPG elements in it. I would consider it action/thriller. It's got some creepy moments too.
    This game is pretty neat.

The story is very different from the norm, and the graphics are pretty nice... well the enemies and environment are - for some reason, anytime they show anything of your character he doesn't look so great.

anyways I give a 9... which is hard to get from me.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From a new bioshock player's perspective, this game was fantastic. The art direction was thrilling as the combat was fun, but that's not what makes this game stand out most. A strong story induces an injection of personality into the game's otherwise overused FPS mechanics. The use of vigors and and sky hooks makes combat fast and visceral. Even a bit farther combat is made even better through the use of rifts, basically serially usable resources at the players command. Aside from the combat and back to the story, I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and DeWitt. It changes the tone of the entire game, as your not only concerned about your opinion, but Elizabeth's as well and it creates a nice dynamic.

Some things I didn't like were rather minute compared to the overall picture. For example, although they develop Elizabeth's character throughout the story, it all revolves around death and killing. There isn't a chance to relax and explore the beautiful city of columbia, which is a really big missed opportunity. It also leaves a side of the characters undeveloped. I know how serious Elizabeth and DeWitt can be but what do they like to do with their free time. Reading books can't be Elizabeth's only hobby. Aside for the small issue above, what really annoyed me was the ending. It left alot in the air for the sake of itself. In the end you find that Elizabeth is really your daughter anna and that she must kill you to prevent comstock. This isn't annoying, the annoying part is the missed father daughter moment before elizabeth kills DeWitt. You just spent all this time freeing this girl, building a relationship, you find out your father/daughter, and she kills DeWitt without even a "I love you dad" or anything even similar. That is extremely irksome.
  8. Apr 2, 2012
    The story is great, the gameplay is great, the weapons are great... Even though it's a game made in 2007, this game is better than many games of today. Note: I do NOT know why Steam has rated this as "Action, RPG", because this game is NOT an RPG! This game is a FPS! This game does NOT have XP, Guilds, or any other such bullsh*t that has an RPG.
  9. Apr 27, 2012
    Bioshock is the second best game. Kind of like Timeshift but under water with alot of powers! 10/10 HATER SHIELD ENABLE! THAT IS ALL!
  10. May 3, 2012
    I gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game isI gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game is unique? (and all games SHOULD be), you have to find it yourself!, just play the game u wont regret. I just can share with u my feeling during the entire game: intrigue. Expand
  11. Oct 7, 2012
    Bioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, theBioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, the list goes on and on. The plot drives you to continue playing the game, giving a critical examination of Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism and Altruism. It take place in an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man who wanted to create a Utopian individualistic society that has fallen into a civil war because most of the population has gone insane hyped up on ADAM, a "drug" of sorts that gives a human superpowers, similar to that of the Sith from star wars (lightning from hands) or The Last Airbender. .. Doesn't that sound epic.. while also being deep and philosophical. This game heavily influenced my politics and philosophy. An exciting piece of art. Expand
  12. Oct 2, 2012
    Bioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn'tBioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn't recommend this game enough to those who for some reason haven't played it yet, 9/10. Expand
  13. Jun 3, 2012
    Pros: Great story, very creative, surprises in every stage, great graphics. You also have to make moral choices that change your gameplay and storyline. Cons: no multiplayer, no arenas, no open world, linear story.
  14. Jun 7, 2012
    A simply awesome game: the story, the game play and, also 5 years after the release, the graphics. From the moment you see Rapture the hole game is just a big rush. All the steam punk element and this mystic atmosphere, the battles and all the diary entries. it is just a ingenious game.
  15. Jul 5, 2012
    This game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in aThis game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in a shooter without being bogged down with stat-mechanics. Intelligent and hectic AI. Brilliant voice acting and incredibly atmospheric environmental effects (in both audio and visuals. Water effects, am I right??). Great weapons and action on the level with the most high-level shooters in the history of gaming. I could go on and on. A perfect game and a must-play. Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing newThis is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing new there--but when combined with the plasmid powers, weapon and power upgrades, security hacking, etc. make a very entertaining whole. Personally I found it very refreshing to play an FPS that actually had a unique atmosphere and a solid story, unlike the multitude of 'modern,' WWII, or space shooters. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    I love this game, Graphics 10, Sound 10, Gunplay 9, Story 10, Horror 9, ONE AWESOME **** GAME 10/10, i was so hyped for this game, and that Hype paid OF, I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 20 DAYS STRAIGHT, JESUS CHRIST THANK U FOR THIS AMAZING GAME
  18. Aug 24, 2013
    Having played Bioshock Infinite before this one, I have to say, now I know why some Bioshock purists aren't too happy.

This game, during its time and up to now is an icon of outstanding FPS-RPG design. I like the upgradeable weapons, I like the well-done plasmids and other various RPG-like elements. I like the story, the way it's presented and the idea of harvesting/rescuing little mutated, sort-a-like undead little girls to give you powers at a moral cost. The game recycles a lot of enemies but it's fairly varied enough to keep the tension and excitement going. The Big Daddys are tough and brutal on the highest difficulty setting and I love it. I don't like the occasional crashes on my decent rig but it's tolerable and simply puts a small dimple on the overall experience. The atmosphere and environment are well-done. I don't like the seemingly weak guns but they work well with the right ammo--- again, a creative addition that we missed on Bioshock Infinite. Overall, Bioshock is a winner and should serve as a welcome "fine dining" departure from the "fast food" games we get these days. I really hope that future developers of this genre will play this game and set out on a quest to continue its revered legacy.

One can only wonder what happened to all the creative gunplay and RPG-like elements, because they are certainly nowhere to be found on Bioshock Infinite. And I miss them.
  19. Dec 1, 2014
    I had always seen the 9/10 ratings on the Bioshock series and wondered if it was worth it. I play mainly multiplayer FPS games so this being a single player title turned me off.

Boyo, was I wrong. Bioshock is easily one of the best single player experiences I have EVER had. The story is engrossing, the environments are so original and creative. The voice acting is superb. This game has all the elements of FPS's nowadays, but back in August 2007.

This game proudly stands up to Zelda, Final Fantasy, and other single-player greats and gives them a run for their money. Took me 25 hours and $5, would have gladly payed $20.

Now, would you kindly do yourself a favor and buy this game?
  20. Sep 28, 2012
    i had a friend that said this game sucks, now hes dead. THIS GAME! the gameplay! the combat system is the best i've seen in my entire life! the twists are just mind blowing and the mobs were creativly made. i like the 50's 60's air. reminds me of fallout: new vegas, which i loved! the graphics are pretty good and the voice acting is very good! the game should be 9.8 and honesly i justi had a friend that said this game sucks, now hes dead. THIS GAME! the gameplay! the combat system is the best i've seen in my entire life! the twists are just mind blowing and the mobs were creativly made. i like the 50's 60's air. reminds me of fallout: new vegas, which i loved! the graphics are pretty good and the voice acting is very good! the game should be 9.8 and honesly i just can't belive there are people that didnt like this game Expand
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    For years shooters were known as games where you move on a rail and kill people. Call Of duty, single handedly by itself, has destroyed all the meaning of FPS. with all the negative thoughts there were behind BioShock....well...it turned to an amazing game. Bioshosck is not your normal COD shooter. its all about creating and re-aliving the lost meaning of FPS genre. Game has a top-notchFor years shooters were known as games where you move on a rail and kill people. Call Of duty, single handedly by itself, has destroyed all the meaning of FPS. with all the negative thoughts there were behind BioShock....well...it turned to an amazing game. Bioshosck is not your normal COD shooter. its all about creating and re-aliving the lost meaning of FPS genre. Game has a top-notch and engaging story which drags you till the end and im not gonna spoil it. Gameplay is just amazing, areas are big and you can explore them looking for upgrades and tools and money. Aside of weapon you will have magical powers called Plasmids, which allows you to extend your creativity upon battles and everytime try a new strategy till you find what suits you. its hard to describe how innovating Bioshosck's gameplay is unless you play it yourself. Graphics are quiet interesting, its something unique. Textures are worked very well and its best to play it on a pc as the lighting effects are much better and water is rendered using DX10 features. Its one of those games such as Half Life 2 which never gets aged, everytime you play it ...it will be different and it will stay beautiful :D Expand
  22. Nov 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals, a compelling storyline, and an interesting combat system all make Bioshock a brilliant game. It does however have some flaws. Deaths in the game are without consequence making it not much of a challenge and taking away from the survival aspect of survival horror unless this feature is disabled. The combat system has some weird kinks and at times feels rigid, but overallStunning visuals, a compelling storyline, and an interesting combat system all make Bioshock a brilliant game. It does however have some flaws. Deaths in the game are without consequence making it not much of a challenge and taking away from the survival aspect of survival horror unless this feature is disabled. The combat system has some weird kinks and at times feels rigid, but overall this game is near perfect. Expand
  23. Nov 28, 2012
    I love every aspect in this game, i was in love with this game, i also made the platinum trophy on this one. The plasmids were so useful and there was so many possibilities to kill. The little sisters and the Big Daddies were just genial, i give it a perfect 10, one of my favorite games ever!
  24. Dec 7, 2012
    Truly a game that reels you in to its depths, with its wonderfully-crafted environment immersing you in the Bioshock experience. The ambient sounds, the great graphics (for its time, and still is pretty good actually), and all the other presentation elements that makes you feel as if you really were walking the ruined tunnels and buildings of Rapture. The biggest element that I loved wasTruly a game that reels you in to its depths, with its wonderfully-crafted environment immersing you in the Bioshock experience. The ambient sounds, the great graphics (for its time, and still is pretty good actually), and all the other presentation elements that makes you feel as if you really were walking the ruined tunnels and buildings of Rapture. The biggest element that I loved was of course the story. I have only played a handful of video games with such a riveting, mysterious, and emotional story. I thankfully was able to tune out the noise so that what happens would not be spoiled, but I would have to say that the game's story truly delivers an experience to remember and it is one that every respectable gamer who plays RPG's should experience. The characters are quite memorable and well-done. There is a definite sense of wonder and excitement about Rapture as you arrive and continue to play on, uncovering the many layers of this wonderfully-written plot.
    As for gameplay, it was overall to me pretty well done. The plasmids are a lot of fun and there are definitely plenty of different ways you can use them. The gun-play is nothing special -- I mean, this is set in the 1960s after all. The enemies are challenging enough to keep things interesting, and there were definitely moments where I was going "crap! crap! crap! run! heal! regroup!" haha
    Anyway, I think the strongest display of how I feel about this game can be explained with how I felt when I finished it (it took me about 20 hours over two days. Yes. It was that good). I remember sitting there, shocked at the turn of events in the story and that it was all over and done with, and I also had many questions about what happened next and such. Thankfully, Bioshock 2 was already out by the time I played this so I was able to continue my adventures in Rapture -- more on that when I review that game later on.
    Suffice to say, this game would get a 100 out of 10 from me if I could give it that. If you don't have this game, get it. You will (most likely) not be disappointed -- I say that because you can't please everyone after all.
  25. Dec 14, 2014
    An unforgettable experience. I usually forget how great it is until I start playing it again.
    Though, it has a few issues that scream "console port!!!". Fortunately, most of them can be fixed via hacks.
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes: 1) Mouse aim is wonky as Heaven - fixed via a mouse fix .bat file posted by Steam user "gudnaimsartaekn" 2) No FOV slider - fixed via an
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes:
    2) No FOV slider - fixed via an app called Flawless Widescreen
    Other than that, it's just minor stuff that doesn't affect the core experience. Sometimes when there's a lot going on, a sound clip may get forgotten to play. The physics for objects and ragdolls have a lowish framerate. Overall, the game performs very well on low-med hardware, even with forced power-hungry anti-aliasing.
    I rate it 9/10 WITH the fixes. Without... 7.5/10. Worth playing no matter what.
    Now with technical stuff out of the way, I must say the story, characters, setting, immersion, art style and gameplay are all excellent! The hacking puzzles are a little overdone (sequel is way better), but if you've got a mouse, you'll have the upper hand over a gamepad every time and won't get as annoyed when hacking.
    Conclusion: If you don't mind some troubleshooting to get the best experience, GREAT! Then PC is for you. If you hate doing things on your own, go the peasant route; play the console, enjoy the jaggies, cinematic framerate and massive amounts of aim assist. Hahaha. Kidding about the peasant part. I like consoles to some degree. My wife beat Bioshock on PS3 five times in Standard Definition (Oh, the agony!), so I tuned everything up for her on my PC... 75fps (v-synced), 95 FOV, 4x SGSSAA, precise mouse aim, etc. I won't forget her reaction :P
    One thing I wish would work in Bioshock is Nvidia's HBAO+ (ambient occlusion). When it works, it looks fantastic! But sadly it flickers when viewing certain angles, sooo can't have that. Oh well.
    Anyway, great game. Play it if you haven't.
  26. Aug 20, 2014
    It was not impossible to build Rapture at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to build it anywhere else. - Andrew Ryan .
    It's simply amazing.Great story,great game play and a strange world.
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great graphics, great story, great gameplay, and it rebooted its previous release called system shock 2'. created a new series and the 2nd one is even more.
  28. Feb 11, 2013
    Great Shooter with role play and horror-elements.Very fascinating locations and creepy characters. Many weapons (unfortunately with the most of them you deal damage like throwing with cotton balls later in the game) and an interesting story. Only the high difficulty level in the later sections, the lack of different enemy-types and the weak weapons are negative points.
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    Best game I ever played before. Great story, great atmosphere, great gameplay, great graphics. Rapture is a precious gem that will remain forever in the history of videogame.
  30. Apr 30, 2013
    I myself do not critic games like that. But this is an exception. Bioshock has proven itself and to everyone else why it is one of the greatest games ever created. The only problem is that you must have a plan set for when facing the Big Daddy if you do not want often visits to the Vita chamber.
  31. May 9, 2013
    this game is awesome amazing story and amazing gameplay with great soundtracks and a twist that will blow your mind away this game simply one of the best shooters ever made
  32. Nov 17, 2013
    One of my favourite games. Everything is perfect. Rapture with its inhabitants was a great place to explore, The plot and characters afre great. The first hour of playing was terrifying but even after the atmosphere made me scary sometimes. And the ending. It was just sad and perfect.
  33. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok. In my personal OPINION this game does not have one single flaw and is one of if not the most memorable experience I have ever had in gaming. That being said I can see how it is not for everyone BUT to actually call this a "bad" game and give it a 1? You are either a contrarian and a hater or you are just stupid and make no mistake this is a game for smart people. People say things likeOk. In my personal OPINION this game does not have one single flaw and is one of if not the most memorable experience I have ever had in gaming. That being said I can see how it is not for everyone BUT to actually call this a "bad" game and give it a 1? You are either a contrarian and a hater or you are just stupid and make no mistake this is a game for smart people. People say things like oh you can use plasmids and guns? cool that gets boring after 3 seconds. to those people I say what about the hundreds of FPS games that have no rpg elements you can only use guns and you are fighting the EXACT same enemies over and over? meh its not for everyone.. 10/10 for me and deserves no less than an 8 from everyone. Expand
  34. Mar 23, 2013
    BioShock is an atmospheric, fun, and well-written first person shooter that holds up even in 2013, almost 5 years after it's release. The level design is great, the story is amazing, and it has enough tense moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. The RPG elements such as weapon, plasmid, and character upgrades give you the feeling of progression throughout. However, the gameplay is aBioShock is an atmospheric, fun, and well-written first person shooter that holds up even in 2013, almost 5 years after it's release. The level design is great, the story is amazing, and it has enough tense moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. The RPG elements such as weapon, plasmid, and character upgrades give you the feeling of progression throughout. However, the gameplay is a slightly different story. It's not exactly the best, but it's entertaining enough to keep you from feeling like you're just watching a movie. The boss fights do feel out of place, and there isn't a ton of variety in the enemy types. The idea of researching enemies with a camera is interesting, but poorly implemented. My final complaint is the slow beginning. It's there to build tension, but ultimately ends up being a boring, tedious tutorial disguised as a level. All in all, BioShock is an amazing game, and it's definitely worth you're time and money. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2013
    I know I'm late in the game but I have just recently got back into gaming. Back in the days when I used to play console (before switching over to Computer), I downloaded the demo for this game for xbox360. Never got around to buying it or playing it because it was too scary for me. However, I have grown up and I am now a big boy...

This game is for big boys (and girls). It's fun,

This game is for big boys (and girls). It's fun, tough, exciting, and gets your adrenaline going! I may not be an expert or veteran with the Bioshock series, but I can't wait to play the next two
  36. Apr 16, 2013
    1 of the best video game ever made. Would you kindly try the game even if you don't like the FPs genre. This aint one of those brainless run and shoot. Amazing gameplay, amazing visuals, amazing story, amazing EVERYTHING! 1 of the rare 10 out of 10 games I have been honored to play.
  37. Oct 4, 2013
    The graphics and art direction, the slow unveiling of the story of Rapture’s fall, the sheer creepiness of it all, and the gameplay which, quite often, makes almost every shooter until now seem rather dull in comparison.
  38. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock. What an amazing game. It has easily made my list of favorite games. Great atmosphere, mind blowing story, a feeling of estrangement, and the 50's style nostalgia makes for a great experience. The Plasmids along with the weapons make combat interesting, and everyone who is anyone can recognize the Big Daddy as an Iconic Entity from a fantastic game.
  39. Apr 4, 2013
    Well ok, I bought this on 2011, but I frickin love it. The weapons and enemies, atmosphere. They are all huge leap to technology of gaming. Year 2006 they made this game. Holly dang. I love Irrational Games/ 2K Boston.
  40. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    BioShock is an outstanding first person shooter that introduces world, characters and mechanics like any other.
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    Of course the most talked and revolutionary thing BioShock does, is introducing the world as it's own character. Rapture is a dark, disturbing and forgotten underwater city that sucks you in, making you truly believe you're there. It also mantains posters, audio files and images of what the great city once was, making it a lot more inmersive. The story is extremely well written with deep, three-dimensional characters. However, I found myself rushing through the last 2 hours, just so I could get to the end credits after spending more than 15 hours in the game. Both sound and music are superb, creating an incredibly inmersive and suspenseful world. The mechanics/gameplay in this game are really good, and though the game encourages you not to engage in a battle with multiple oponents (cause you'll die), the A.I never encourages stealth, considering they spot with extreme ease. The plasmids in the game are very well integrated with the shooting mechanic. They bring an estrategic side to the combat, with the player thinking how to set traps and how to use in advantage in really tough fights. The graphics are great and they trully help with the inmersion to Rapture. There's a hacking mini-game that is really simple and well thought, but it gets old pretty easily, considering how much you use it. The Big Daddies. These guys really bring a challenge and satisfaction when defeated. Though the satisfaction doesn't last long, after you see a Little Sister (the ones they protect) crying for their Big Daddy. The little sisters carry ADAM, which you'll need to upgrade your plasmids, and you can either harvest them (you get more ADAM and they die) or save them (you'll get less ADAM and they come back to being little, normal girls). That decission changes a few plot points, but not too much.
    In the end, BioShock manages to step out of the box with deep characters, strong mechanics, reallistic sounds and graphics that will make you want to replay the game quite a few times.
    Average Score: 9.2
  41. May 2, 2013
    Having just finished BioShock for the first time, I am upset that I didn't give this game a proper chance sooner. While the graphics are still pretty good for today the gunplay, plasmids and enemies can get pretty repetitive, and there isn't a ton of strategy. However, that isn't what this game is about. Its not just that the story and plot are great (they are) but I honestly felt likeHaving just finished BioShock for the first time, I am upset that I didn't give this game a proper chance sooner. While the graphics are still pretty good for today the gunplay, plasmids and enemies can get pretty repetitive, and there isn't a ton of strategy. However, that isn't what this game is about. Its not just that the story and plot are great (they are) but I honestly felt like I was the character. At the beginning I was scared and confused, I didn't know where I was or what the heck I was doing. As I progressed I began to feel comfortable with the game and started to feel super powerful, only to have that all torn away. The ending is one of the most compelling of any game I have ever played, and this game is well worth the 10 hours it will take to finish. Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is perfect in every way. Its tense, the story is gripping and deep (feel the pun), the graphics are beautiful and the style of the game is original. The gene tonics are impressive and add RPG elements to a FPS game. The Plasmids give you the edge in combat. The story contains deep, political content and even the enemies who you kill have deep personalities, and the audio diariesThis game is perfect in every way. Its tense, the story is gripping and deep (feel the pun), the graphics are beautiful and the style of the game is original. The gene tonics are impressive and add RPG elements to a FPS game. The Plasmids give you the edge in combat. The story contains deep, political content and even the enemies who you kill have deep personalities, and the audio diaries show you the citizens of rapture in their last few moments. A masterpiece of gaming. Expand
  43. Apr 27, 2013
    Bioshock had tiny flaws but not enough to hold it back from being a perfect game. Freezes for two seconds that come around now and then, and re-spawn had no penalty, although the respawn system itself was not such a bad idea. If they didn't add the re-spawn system there would be no check points because of the open environment around you. And with constant enemies running around. So thisBioshock had tiny flaws but not enough to hold it back from being a perfect game. Freezes for two seconds that come around now and then, and re-spawn had no penalty, although the respawn system itself was not such a bad idea. If they didn't add the re-spawn system there would be no check points because of the open environment around you. And with constant enemies running around. So this shouldn't reduce it's score. The other problem with the game freezes shouldn't reduce the score because they happen very rarely and it's uniqueness makes up for any down sides. Anyone who doesn't give this game a 10/10 doesn't see its potential, they're one minded and don't have fun can be had with game, even if they have experienced it. Expand
  44. May 4, 2013
    This amazing game has the best atmosphere in all the games I've played. The story is compelling and filled with interesting characters. Exploring Rapture was a great experience, and didn't feel like a chore at all.

I have no idea what others are talking about dull FPS features. The plasmids really give a new, fun way to kill your enemies. Blasting a hundred rounds isn't really possible in this game. Sometimes, ammo is very plentiful and you can afford to do this. But, sometimes, you literally have no ammo, and no EVE, and then you really start to use the environment, and your melee skills. Although, there isn't really a penalty when you die, it's really just spawns you back in the level. Which I dislike

The only reason I gave this a 9, was because the physics seem to lag, but it doesn't break me from the immersion all that much, but for others, it does. The rest of the graphics, still look modern to me, also. Overall, this game is just plain awesome.
  45. May 16, 2013
    BioShock is such a unique game. It has a very special atmosphere all the time. Everything in this game is so special, like the Big Daddies, they won't attack you, they are like a real dad, protecting the little sisters. The little sisters even cried after you killed their dad. And I like the type of graphic in this game, it gives a dark and old feels to you.
  46. sft
    Sep 1, 2013
    Who’s the Big Daddy?

Who’s the Big Daddy?

BIOSHOCK is a fine example of what is achievable through the medium of video games. The developers have managed to combine an engaging story with strong RPG and FPS elements to produce a thoroughly absorbing and memorable experience. The storyline is unusually effective and all the more compelling due to the aspects of morality it addresses. The voice acting is terrific, especially the chuntering splicers that wander around Rapture their psychotic ramblings are utterly convincing. The game is also graphically impressive for a 2007 production Rapture is a beautiful, art deco wreck of a city. There could perhaps have been more humour, but overall this is one of the best single-player games I’ve played.
  47. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock is a refreshing, story based game for the PC, Playstation and Xbox. I played Bioshock on PC, and it was a great, 13 hour campaign, with a great twist. This game is very well designed, and acted out, both by the AI characters, and the voices that bring them to life. However, it does have flaws:
    1. The endings are BORING! Even though there are 2 alternate endings, there both unsatisfying and short (less than 1 minute).
    2. In my opinion, the Fort Frolic level feels like a time filler, put in by the developers at the last moment.
    3. This is just me being nit-picky, but: I found it really annoying that all the little sisters look the same! With a occasional blonde haired sister, all of them have the same face, hair and voice.

Other than that, great game! If you have a spare $20, and a thirst for a great game this is definite buy.
  48. Aug 1, 2013
    Exciting, eerie, creative, jaw dropping, terrifying, electrifying, memorable, fun. Bioshock is the rare game that perfectly blend all those elements together. The story engulfs you in Rapture, one of the most unique and awesome game locations I've ever played. As you progress, you'll discover and explore the ruins of Rapture and learn more about Rapture and what happened and yourExciting, eerie, creative, jaw dropping, terrifying, electrifying, memorable, fun. Bioshock is the rare game that perfectly blend all those elements together. The story engulfs you in Rapture, one of the most unique and awesome game locations I've ever played. As you progress, you'll discover and explore the ruins of Rapture and learn more about Rapture and what happened and your character's involvement on why he's here in the first place.
    Combat works will blending survival horror elements, such as lack of abundant ammo, to great first person shooting mechanics. It also adds a new spin with Plasmids, giving your character the ablility to electrocute, set on fire, freeze, control, patronize, hypnotize, and among many others.

Such a game like Bioshock can perfectly combine everything that can shooters great. It's exciting, it's terrifying, keeps you on the edge of your seat, it sparks wonder and curiosity. The only thing that keeps this game from being perfect is the ending/ final boss. Ending is kind of out of place (meaning it's either warm hearted or a cold slap in the face that doesn't really conclude your character's journey.) and I didn't lean towards how the final boss was done.

Still, fantastic game.
  49. Jul 7, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Love the graphics but some dead splicers just move their hands or legs so imagine a dead splicer waving to you Sound: Every sound in the game is great also the the music the violin just goes with bioshock 's style Game play: Fun but sometimes repetitive Story: Probably the main reason you would play the game just to know the your
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Sound:
    Game play:
    Fun but sometimes repetitive
    Story:
    Probably the main reason you would play the game just to know the your ending
    Overall Bioshock is a great game which i would recommend for you.
  50. Jul 23, 2013
    Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. It delivers messages about mankind that are just plain amazing. The soundtrack, the voice acting and the story are just completely beautiful. And its game play is just awesome. No other game has impressed me more than Bioshock has, and in my opinion its he best game on the Playstation 3 let alone one of theThrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. It delivers messages about mankind that are just plain amazing. The soundtrack, the voice acting and the story are just completely beautiful. And its game play is just awesome. No other game has impressed me more than Bioshock has, and in my opinion its he best game on the Playstation 3 let alone one of the greatest games ever created. This is my most favorite game and no other game surpasses it. I especially love the environment of the game: Rapture. The style of its design is amazing as well as the tone that it delivers. All around Bioshock is a masterpiece and should be played by any gamer out there. If you haven't played it, you're missing out on one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Expand
  51. Aug 5, 2013
    It's... just...Bioshock! One of the best games i know with a really amazing story, really nice gameplay and the most awesome underwater city in the world!
  52. Aug 10, 2013
    I wouldn't even call this a 'game'. It should be called a masterpiece. The story-line to it draws you in the second you start the game. The mechanics of the game were flawless. Rapture is an enticing underwater Atlantis that will keep you playing the game for hours and hours.
  53. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Best graphics of its time!! When you just get into the game you cant tell which is real or not, the TV or the couch. The AI helps you and even without it the combat is definitely better than any fps i have ever played. It gives you the choice to play stealth or just run out killing everyone with health boosts in the middle of the map Expand
  54. Sep 22, 2013
    played this game after amazed by how good infinite is
    and im impressed bioshock managed to improve their theme and gameplay since their first game
    the atmosphere is awesome
    rupture feel so scary and dark but also glamour with city life
    the gameplay is awesome and im about to play the second series of the game
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this game hit the scene in 2007, there was nothing like it. Bioshock is what you get when you combine science, art, philosophy, and first-person action. Every element in the game, from the story, to the graphics, to the weapons and powers all meld together into a near-perfect piece of art. This game series alone could prove to anyone that video games can be art. Expand
  56. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is what a FPS should be. The story was amazing, with many twists and turns along the way. The setting, Rapture, is a beautiful yet eerie place to explore. The game play is solid, the plasmids make fights interesting. Bioshock is one of the best FPS games ever made, and will not be replicated.
  57. Sep 20, 2013
    There's a great game, this game is Bioshock. No, not Bioshock Infinite, first Bioshock. You see, this have anything you want: a great gameplay that can show you not only "Pew-pew", but and tactic shooter, great walking threw the city, collecting items and more of such a good combinations with great shooting. You will just look at this beauty views and you'll find out what's a real city. ByThere's a great game, this game is Bioshock. No, not Bioshock Infinite, first Bioshock. You see, this have anything you want: a great gameplay that can show you not only "Pew-pew", but and tactic shooter, great walking threw the city, collecting items and more of such a good combinations with great shooting. You will just look at this beauty views and you'll find out what's a real city. By the way, game can show you a great and perfect story of city, main character, other characters and, of course, city. You just enjoy the game and listen a beautiful music from there. There is a many win thing that you should learn by yourself. Enjoy this masterpiece! Expand
  58. Sep 20, 2013
    This is a generally great game. At the time of its release it may have gotten less attention than it does now (probably in part due to the cartoony nature of it's disk cover, which was quite misleading), but it really added a whole new level to the modern FPS scene. The gameplay flows well, although the combat is usually somewhat less than real-time, because the game allows the player toThis is a generally great game. At the time of its release it may have gotten less attention than it does now (probably in part due to the cartoony nature of it's disk cover, which was quite misleading), but it really added a whole new level to the modern FPS scene. The gameplay flows well, although the combat is usually somewhat less than real-time, because the game allows the player to pause and browse through their inventory in the middle of combat. This set aside, the story is riveting (pun, get it?) and unpredictable, and the atmosphere is good enough to rival the gameplay itself. Expand
  59. Oct 8, 2013
    A wonderful retro-style FPS set in an undersea city in the 60s. You can blast or stun your enemies using a wide array of guns and abilities in a haunting claustrophobic setting unlike any other. Like in System Shock 2 you can select and update your skills, hack devices (e.g. turrets), customize your character’s powers and overcome challenges in your own way.
    In terms of cons, the gameplay
    In terms of cons, the gameplay is rather wonky (e.g. hard to target some enemies moving &shooting alarmingly fast) while the game is very lenient when it comes to the character’s death: the character can rez again and again while the enemy’s health is not refilled (in other words, the game does not require gamers to play carefully). Also, the dark dystopian setting, although impressive, grows drab (thankfully Arcadia & Prometheus change the ambience).

PS the game’s well-designed hacking system rules
  60. Oct 11, 2013
    First time I had played this game was march 2010 on my xbox. I loved it even though I couldn't follow the story well. Then in my second play through I loved it even more Lots of stuff to know about main characters, not perfect but very surprising plot. Perfect atmosphere and great music. I liked the graphics in 2010 and I still like it in 2013 I finished it for third time afterFirst time I had played this game was march 2010 on my xbox. I loved it even though I couldn't follow the story well. Then in my second play through I loved it even more Lots of stuff to know about main characters, not perfect but very surprising plot. Perfect atmosphere and great music. I liked the graphics in 2010 and I still like it in 2013 I finished it for third time after Bioshock Infinite on my PC. Expand
  61. Oct 21, 2013
    replayed recently and all I have to say is still worth $60 even by today's standards, the graphics being the only exception but not as far behind as one might expect from a game its age. One of my all time favorites.
  62. Jun 11, 2014
    A truly unrivaled steampunk game in every regard. From the start of the game it pulls you in and does not let you go. And of course, PC makes it look absolutely beautiful. It's also only like $5 if you wait for am Amazon sale.
  63. Nov 5, 2013
    Bioshock took me by surprise. The beautiful world of rapture is one of the most original and overall coolest settings of a game in any genre. It plays like a thinking mans shoot and loot. The AI is great and you're never short of options for how to go about progressing in the game. Each chapter has suprises and odd characters which will keep you going while you hope it never ends. IfBioshock took me by surprise. The beautiful world of rapture is one of the most original and overall coolest settings of a game in any genre. It plays like a thinking mans shoot and loot. The AI is great and you're never short of options for how to go about progressing in the game. Each chapter has suprises and odd characters which will keep you going while you hope it never ends. If you want an amazing single player FPS experience definitely give this one a go. Expand
  64. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the best games i ever played. Rapture will be on my memories for a long time. The best part of Bioshock is not the gameplay, it's the story.
  65. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of video gaming. Play this and tell me video games aren't art. One of the greatest games ever made. Is able to stand out among a market inundated by annual FPS games.
  66. Aug 20, 2014
    It was a really fun game despite how many times i ended up dying. Even someone as bad as me at video games can beat it on medium. The story was great and i can't wait to play the next one!
  67. May 4, 2014
    In the beginning I almost shat in my pants because of these splicers, but after few hours I started to really like it. Those plasmids were really cool. The ending boss was a shame - it was too easy to bit. Because I rescued all of the little sisters I dealt with I got the good ending. The ending was a bit too much touchy, but it was OK. I really liked the idea of a city under the sea.In the beginning I almost shat in my pants because of these splicers, but after few hours I started to really like it. Those plasmids were really cool. The ending boss was a shame - it was too easy to bit. Because I rescued all of the little sisters I dealt with I got the good ending. The ending was a bit too much touchy, but it was OK. I really liked the idea of a city under the sea. Really cool. Expand
  68. Apr 13, 2014
    Great videogame! Smart plot. Unique shooter mechanic and visually inpressive. I love art-style and beatiful music. I see that people who created this put his souls in their work.
  69. Apr 23, 2014
    Most bad shooters are overrated while underrated are excellent retrieval in each hand of playing. BioShock is a fascinating, worth it -- unlike traditional; It occupies all other shooters hypes. Rapture....Plasmids...Hacking Machines...Big Daddies.....Little Sisters....combines BioShock's greatness.
  70. Mar 30, 2014
    One the best games I've ever played. Atmosphere is perfect. Controls are a bit clunky compared to "Infinite" but I think it adds to the charm. The story is unraveled in an Oscar worthy fashion. This game is just another reason I think people should take gaming more seriously.
  71. Apr 28, 2014
    A true masterpiece. Phenomenal graphics. Immersive atmosphere and great level design. Fantastic shooting mechanics. One of my top 5 favorite games of all time.
  72. Jun 14, 2014
    This is the best FPS I've seen for a long. Good story, good visual narative and a good localization. This is one of my favorite FPS with DOOM , BioShock Infinite, System Shock 2, Half Life, Half Life 2
  73. May 9, 2014
    Excelente juego con respecto a historia, muy entretenido y muy buena jugabilidad. El diseño artístico es exelente, ademas muy acorde con la época en la cual se basa el juego.
  74. May 22, 2014
    Bioshock is, undoubtedly, one of the most intense, unique and beautiful first-person shooter I've ever played. The ambience, graphics, music and special style of gameplay of Bioshock has set the bar for all game developers. 2K has produced a masterpiece; do yourself a favour and play it.
  75. Sep 5, 2014
    BioShock is a true masterpiece in gaming history, with so much to feel, to learn, to cry for as you making your way to the end. The atmosphere is full of art, and the game is thrilling itself. The story is both heart-pumping and mind-blowing, just like the game's graphic and sounds. Maybe the gameplay isn't that deep with several flaws, but just keep in mind: this is the best ride to aBioShock is a true masterpiece in gaming history, with so much to feel, to learn, to cry for as you making your way to the end. The atmosphere is full of art, and the game is thrilling itself. The story is both heart-pumping and mind-blowing, just like the game's graphic and sounds. Maybe the gameplay isn't that deep with several flaws, but just keep in mind: this is the best ride to a city under the sea you've seen in years. Expand
  76. Jun 10, 2014
    Un FPS muy atractivo y necesario, en el que se conjuga un fuerte mundo narrativa con acción. A nivel gráfico interesante y su relación con el imaginario de Ayn Rand le convierte en una fantástica compra.
  77. Jun 13, 2014
    Bioshock is phenomenal. I still cannot get over the fact it came out 7 years ago and yet still looks better than half the stuff that came out this year. gun/plasmid play is fun but the game really comes alive with its story and setting. Play it.
  78. Jul 14, 2014
    BioShock is my all time favorite game. A lot of people seem to not understand why this game is so great. My answer? The details. Starting from the stunning soundtrack, all the through the little easter eggs ending with the dialogs. Playing through the games roughly 10 times i always find every single time i find something that i haven't seen before. The varieties are seemingly endless whenBioShock is my all time favorite game. A lot of people seem to not understand why this game is so great. My answer? The details. Starting from the stunning soundtrack, all the through the little easter eggs ending with the dialogs. Playing through the games roughly 10 times i always find every single time i find something that i haven't seen before. The varieties are seemingly endless when it comes to collecting in this game, a fairly good amount of guns for a single player game, all with special ammunition types and upgrades, then you have the plasmids, the tonics, the extra upgrades from ADAM, crafting, hacking, researching. and of course little sisters. Still some people claim that the gameplay is monotone and is only shooting stuff, well my friend that is because you play on too low difficulty. On higher difficulties you really gotta make a plan and use all resources you can find in order to succeeded. There are amazing gameplay mechanisms out there in Rapture: applying sticky mines to objects (corpses, even explosives barrels) then using telekinesis to throw em onto beefy enemies; setting up huge traps to big daddies paths with the crossbow for instance; camouflage, security bullseye and enrage are art to themselves and the list goes on. But i do give a point to people saying gameplay is still not the main thing making the game, it is arguably the story and the characters. The story as it is is absurd yet really captures one's imagination. But the characters are easily the best one's ever in any video game. The insanity is so well represented, it's literally art. The audio logs are amazing idea, the character development gives you exactly as much inside at a time as you need to have dozes of unique personalities expand before your own eyes.
    To sum up this is one of the very few games in the 21th century where i actually think that the credit list is reasonably long, and you can tell everyone was paying a lot of attention creating this piece of art.
  79. Jul 29, 2014
    This game is most likely the best best story driven game made mainstream, whose shooting mechanics are little more than a tool to advance the story, the main star of the game.
    Setting, music, ambiance, background art style, pacing, cast. all of these attributes are far more important than the action that takes place in the game.
    Far from it seeing as how the action drives all of these
    Far from it seeing as how the action drives all of these key components along at a great pace. You could look up online the perfect builds and upgrades that make even the toughest sections a cake-walk, but in doing so you would rob yourself of one of the best interactive "novels" in gaming history.
    Every cast member, good bad, grey area, even the name-less splicers and long dead apparitions have a story to tell if your patient enough to listen and find it.
    adding to this are "diaries", lost recordings scattered throughout that clue you into what brought about the disaster and chaos you are attempting to undo.
    My only complaint is that at the last moment(or so it goes in story) the publishers(suits) stepped in and forced Ken Levine's hand in changing the outcome of the story to make it more "player" friendly. I would have very much liked that not to be the case
  80. Aug 15, 2014
    Amazing. Great RPG elements. Scavenging for supplies, and you're heart will be beating when coming across a big daddy and not having enough ammunition. Awesome feature when harvesting the little girls because the game puts you in a situation where you need to survive.
  81. Aug 20, 2014
    This is a great game, good graphics, gameplay, and a very compelling storyline.
    The only thing/flaw i find is that most of the upper level difficulties do not change much. In other words the game difficulties are too easy or not hard enough. Everything else is great about the game.
  82. Aug 26, 2014
    Bioshock is terrifying but it making you scared and on the edge makes you scared nearly all the time. The game looks good even for it's 7 year old age. The bad guys a insane and the world is dark. However, my favorite part of the game is the story it's gripping it makes you want to play it for hours until you realize it's 3 in the morning. If I was to say some bad things about is that youBioshock is terrifying but it making you scared and on the edge makes you scared nearly all the time. The game looks good even for it's 7 year old age. The bad guys a insane and the world is dark. However, my favorite part of the game is the story it's gripping it makes you want to play it for hours until you realize it's 3 in the morning. If I was to say some bad things about is that you can't use plasmids and weapons at the same time you have to switch between them making combat feel more difficult than it really is. Also there are some missions in the game that requires you to scavenge and it's very frustrating if your not an adventurer. The last thing I don't like about the game is the main character he only speaks in in the opening cut scene and never again your character only has a small piece of personality depending on your ending. But other than that the game is amazing the chances are that on steam you can get all three of the bioshock trilogy in 1 in the sale and I can easily recommend it for full price. Expand
  83. Aug 27, 2014
    Even im not a huge fan of shooters, this game make me stick with it until the end.The game has a gret story with a lot of morale values.The strongest point in this a game is his underwater city(Rapture).

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.