8.4

1. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a veryI was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). AFantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2013
    I couldn't understand the hype over Bioshock infinite- Bioshock 1 will always remain in my heart as the best Bioshock of them all, the story is amazing and gameplay is pretty fun. I'd say the story and execution of the story bumps this game to 93, gameplay wise it's around 80.
    Recommended!
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  6. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  7. Sep 19, 2013
    just buy it it,s goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd
  8. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you canThis is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  9. May 31, 2014
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    I've played lots of games over the years and very rarely has something stood out like BioShock. I was late to the game on this one, playing it years after it came out, but the incredible amount of work put into it made it stand out, even against better looking games.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and go, but Bioshock deserves to join the ranks of Half-life 1 as one of the greatest games in which one shoots other people.
    Story doesnt matter. Characters dont matter. Graphics dont matter. Only what you feel with the gun floating in front of your face matters.
    Very few games give me what I call the Ocarina of Time paradox--I want to play them over and over in order to re experience them, but it becomes less special as I play it more times. I can't wait until enough time has passed for me to play this game again.
  10. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also,This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  11. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, aThis is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  12. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are itsOne of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotesCalling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    Some glitches with Windows 8 (yes it's old) but once fixed I could enjoy it though a bit late, good graphics for the time, beautiful scenery like Arcadia, the only problem I have is that it's still very hard to me even on medium difficulty setting, I do lose lives so often!
  15. Sep 19, 2014
    Bioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must beBioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must be experienced. Now, would you kindly go play it? Expand
  16. Sep 17, 2014
    Great gameplay, immersive setting, a rather haunting story and the rather frequent jumpscares. My favorite game of all time. Now, if you haven't played the game, would you kindly go do so?
  17. Oct 11, 2014
    If I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The gameIf I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The game should only take about 20 hours to beat, quite short for a rpg. But it's game mechanics and game play are brilliant, I just wish that it would be a little more challenging.
    One thing that I don't like about this game is that its theme is very dark and gloomy. Although it really fit the game well, it gets VERY sickening and gloomy. It took me a long time to beat it because I got really sick of the gloomy underwater dark and depressing theme, so I took breaks from it that lasted for months. It isn't really the developer's fault, they did a really good job of creating the theme. It is just very annoying or rather sickening after a while. I would give it an eight but I think the game is just made to be like that and it gave me a wonderful experience(no I don't do drugs).
    The game also have a really weird scare factor. The game-play itself isn't that scary, but the soundtrack and audio made it seem scary as shirt. It's not really the jump out of your seat type scary, more of a daunting type and it never gets old.
    Overall it is a brilliant game, it just lacks a bit more of a challenge, and the theme was a bit annoying. Otherwise this game is brilliant(compared to other games of the same time). Also I forgot to mention that it had probably the BEST story of all of gaming!
  18. Oct 2, 2014
    Bioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interestingBioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interesting characters, ideas and a city that looks like an underwater New York, making the game even more chilling. Not only that, but the game is an extremly fun shooter. The weapons feel great, the crafting is fun, the enemies are interesting and the story surprising and engaging. This is a game you simply have to play to understand the simple joy of. Expand
  19. Oct 3, 2014
    I just want to say before I start my basic "Pros and cons" Review,I love the "Bioshock" games!

Pros:

Amazing game-play

Amazing story!!!

Amazing art!

kinda scary.

Super powers!

Cons:

It's a little bit Cliché'd

KHAAN

There is really nothing else bad about this game,It's worth a buy :D

So I give this game a : 9/10
  20. Oct 6, 2014
    This game really is one of a kind. It should 100% be above HL and HL2. Those awful games are only up there because they were made by Valve. BUT BIOSHOCK. Dear god, this is a masterpiece. 10/10 You gotta play it for the time of your life.
  21. Oct 14, 2014
    some people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially killsome people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially kill enemies with "HAND POWER!!". i want to give 10/10 in here but i think i can't because this game is Awesome but not really outstanding game i think Expand
  22. Nov 18, 2014
    Brilliant. The only thing keeping it from a "10" for me was the mediocre third act. Had they found a way to end it after the "big" reveal in act two, I would have left feeling like I'd just played a masterpiece of storytelling, character, dialogue and haunting visuals. As it is, it's a near masterpiece.
  23. Nov 20, 2014
    Bioshock's dark but beautiful world of Rapture creates a believable environment just a step outside of possibility.
    The story, characters, action and music weave together to create an unforgettable piece
  24. Nov 21, 2014
    I played this game back when it was first released and I was blown away. I hadn't played anything like it. I found it to be completely original and very engaging. Great story and cool gameplay mechanics. Just an all-around wonderful title.
  25. DavidMoser
    Oct 13, 2007
    Although gameplay and plot advancement are still mostly standard FPS fare, the many uses of "Plasmids" lend an exciting and creative element that helps immerse you in a beautifully crafted social experiment gone wrong. The story is well thought out and keeps you playing, nervous at every step and jumping at shadows in the flickering lights of Rapture. The many layers of morality areAlthough gameplay and plot advancement are still mostly standard FPS fare, the many uses of "Plasmids" lend an exciting and creative element that helps immerse you in a beautifully crafted social experiment gone wrong. The story is well thought out and keeps you playing, nervous at every step and jumping at shadows in the flickering lights of Rapture. The many layers of morality are explored as you try to rediscover what exactly happened to this place, the only record of which is given piece by piece in the audio diaries of residents. For those looking for an interesting break from their WWII shooter, this is a godsend. Expand
  26. Nacho
    Aug 27, 2007
    If you're going to review a game, at least make educated statements. The reason a reviewer's grapical problems existed was because his video card was NOT up to the REQUIRED system specifications. It's not enough to have a DirectX 9 video card, it also must support Shader Model 3. It gives the video card specs right on the box. If this is ignored there will be nothing butIf you're going to review a game, at least make educated statements. The reason a reviewer's grapical problems existed was because his video card was NOT up to the REQUIRED system specifications. It's not enough to have a DirectX 9 video card, it also must support Shader Model 3. It gives the video card specs right on the box. If this is ignored there will be nothing but graphical 'glitches'. I orinally scored this at 10, because I couldn't give it a 9.8, because I felt it was that good. The game is still excellent, but now that I've completed about 70% of the game, I feel that it could have used one more month of QA testing. The widescreen thing was a design decision which is being adressed by developers now. However, there are just enough on the issues that have come up since the games release to make me re-assess. Mostly the widescreen decision. But the copy protection for the non-digital purchasers is a slap in the face to those that spend hard earned money. I don't know of any other software that would require me to un-install it, before I do a system format, or I lose one of my validations. So if I have a system crash and have no way to recover other than format my HD, there goes an activation. If I just forget because I haven't played the game for a while . . .there goes another activation. I guess I'd just have to resort to some other means of getting my game to work. This copy protection is one of the reasons piracy is so prevalent on the Internet. If I hadn't purchased this game off of Steam, and purchased it in a store. I'd be looking for an alternate means of running the software, if you catch my meaning. Expand
  27. LiboW.
    Sep 1, 2007
    This game is superb in its execution. For people who have "missed something," play it again; you might find a change in combination weapons/plasmids or something else that would fill that missing gap. Though comparing oblivion and bioshock is like comparing apples and oranges. If oblivion received such wide-acclaim (which btw is still one of my fav. games of all time), then bioshock by This game is superb in its execution. For people who have "missed something," play it again; you might find a change in combination weapons/plasmids or something else that would fill that missing gap. Though comparing oblivion and bioshock is like comparing apples and oranges. If oblivion received such wide-acclaim (which btw is still one of my fav. games of all time), then bioshock by means deserves it also. Just because a game is linear, doesn't mean it's bad (halflife 1/2 was extremely linear, just because you had some "space" in some places doesn't render it a grand theft auto type of a game), the linearity allows for a movie like composition, which was the effect bioshock was going for. Expand
  28. VincentL.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Awesome FPS ... perfect atmosphere and graphism ... One point lost because of it's so short !!
  29. FotisJ.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Impressive grafics and interesting game play on the plus side, on the negative side is the fact that we play a dumbed down version of System Shock. Certainly a game you shouldn't miss but no real milestone in the genre history.
  30. MilesM.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Amazing graphics, original storyline and characters, amazingly customizable weapons and abilities, fluid sound and replayability for different outcomes give this game a perfect 10.
  31. SteveC
    Sep 5, 2007
    As far as FPSs go, its one of the top 5 for me. Complaints that the complex weapon/power system is "boring" obviously stem from the fact that it isn't a run-n-gun splatterfest. it's the thinking-man's FPS. The countless combinations of powers and weapons lead to unique and meaningful attack choices for specialized enemies. As for the wrench, need we look in the direction of As far as FPSs go, its one of the top 5 for me. Complaints that the complex weapon/power system is "boring" obviously stem from the fact that it isn't a run-n-gun splatterfest. it's the thinking-man's FPS. The countless combinations of powers and weapons lead to unique and meaningful attack choices for specialized enemies. As for the wrench, need we look in the direction of Halo 2 or Half-life? Melee weapons are always going to be powerful, the reason being that in order to use them you have to get very close to your enemy, and at that range its tough to miss. Eliminate your expectations, the game accomplishes accomplishes its own goals. If you die thirty times in a row, its not because the game isn't good, it's because you aren't. Expand
  32. AdrianB.
    Sep 5, 2007
    This game is amazing. If you got to do something you can do it in milion different ways. Also every time you load the game opponents are in different spots so sometimes it is not very easy to finish a mission.
  33. JasonL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    This game is unbelieveable. It truely is a match for Half Life 2 in terms of graphics, gameplay, storyline, immersion and just plain coolness. It continues in the same "scariness" of System Shock 2 which we all fondly remember but takes advantage of all the new technology since then to make this a memorable experience.
  34. Josh
    Sep 9, 2007
    The storyline the visuals, the sound, everything is perfect. Another main thing I enjoy is how scary it is. I think alot of people forget about that fact.
  35. ColtonS.
    Oct 2, 2008
    One of the best games of all time, its original, creepy, and exciting in all shapes and forms.
  36. KevinL.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Absolutely breath taking, this game has probably the best atmosphere in a game ever. The plot is extremely well written, the game play is very unique and the characters are unforgettable. Your missing out one of the best games ever made if you haven't played this.
  37. brandonl.
    Oct 6, 2008
    This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose good) there was so much to do in this game I could not stop playing. Expand
  38. DylanB.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Overall, the game was excellent. One of the best games I have played in a long time. Graphics are exceptional, gameplay and storyline are extremely good. But, the one thing I found lacking was finding the Little Sisters. There were parts where I looked everywhere and could not find the Little Sister even though there was supposed to be one on the level. Definately worth the money.
  39. DerekN.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This game is so sick and I really enjoyed playing it.
  40. BrianW.
    Mar 28, 2008
    This game is breathtaking, absolutely stunning and absolutely sick. I wish to thank the absolutely warped genius minds that created this. Buy it.
  41. JustinC.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is one of the best games ever. Ignore the users who criticize it, they are just too stupid to understand the themes behind the game (no exaggeration, this game is a work of art). The fact that people consider this game sub par is representative of how degraded our society has become, preferring mindless shooting games like Halo 3 instead of truly deep games like this one.
  42. KurtG.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Amazing, a superb adrenaline rush the whole way through.
  43. MonkeyV.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It really is just that good. I have been playing PC games since 1980, and I this is easily one of the most impressive and wonderful gaming experiences of my life. I urge any and all players to take the time to play Bioshock. I can guarantee you it is worth it.
  44. KimV.
    Apr 4, 2008
    Game of the Year 2007, I don't really think much else needs to be said, for indepth information I suggest reading one of the numerous reviews giving the game a perfect score.
  45. JamesF.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Incredible game, don't come into it expecting something other than a Story driven FPS. The departures are evident only after playing it through a couple levels. The ability to customize how you kill enemies, is where this game takes on a life of its own. The story is deeply engaging, and the combat is challenging, with out being ridiculous. There are no puzzles, only gameplay, with Incredible game, don't come into it expecting something other than a Story driven FPS. The departures are evident only after playing it through a couple levels. The ability to customize how you kill enemies, is where this game takes on a life of its own. The story is deeply engaging, and the combat is challenging, with out being ridiculous. There are no puzzles, only gameplay, with great story elements, and customization. The best FPS I have ever played, and would beg anyone to buy it, and give it a couple levels to let it sink in. Expand
  46. LiamW.
    May 5, 2008
    Bioshock was probably the best game i have ever played. The storyline, graphics, and game overall were wonderful. You could even see the tiny little watermarks on the fish.
  47. FrazerS.
    May 8, 2008
    This game is brilliant, i played it through with crap graphics the first time and it still scared the hell out of me. The rating of 10 is used with caution though as no game is perfect; it's a good game but at the end of the day it's just another shooter with good graphics that make the appeal of it larger. At the end of the day, if you want a good fright, buy this.
  48. Jake.
    Jul 25, 2008
    This is an AMAZING GAME and a MUST BUY!!! great story line with wonderful graphics. Keeps you ready but surprised at every turn!
  49. JoshM.
    Aug 5, 2008
    one of the most innovative and original games in years. my only complaint is that the hacking minigame gets boring after the first playthrough.
  50. RyanD.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Amazing game. It combines the literary works of Ayn Rand with an excellent shooter RPG. The story is very well written with lots of exposition and plot twists. The graphics for water effects are the best so far. The audio, including the voice acting, is top notch. Lots of ways to kill your enemies provides replay value.
  51. MichaelK.
    Jan 1, 2009
    BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and even subverts its own medium. A rarity not to be missed. Expand
  52. bioshockrules
    Oct 28, 2009
    HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played it on hard without vita-chambers. Strategy is important. No encounter ever plays out the same. Genetic modification and Ecological AI is cool. This is the best game in the universe. Cant wait for Bioshock2 and Bioshock3. If you dont play this game, you truly miss out on the game to be. You got to be silly not to play this game. 2K games has really done a great job. 5 stars for them. The only bug is that upon launching the game in Vista, the game switches from full screen to windowed. It only happens once and the game quality more than makes up for that is relatively tiny bug compared to the game's performance. Expand
  53. myname
    Mar 5, 2009
    To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, wonderful etc. Dumping the whole shooting aspect, the idea of Rapture itself, the style, the characters, plot, plasmids, music, graphics, Daddies and Sisters and conections to Ayn Rand's Filosophy...it's just perfect. i've finished it a few times and still start it again. Expand
  54. TimF
    May 20, 2009
    I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game deserves a 9 simply for the storyline. All the other reviews only touch on how inept they (the user reviewer) are at seeing a game as a game, not playing it on a real computer, their own single-minded sight and its brilliance. BioShock is an amazing game and shouldn't be singled out because someone else cant run it and another has no idea how to install it. Expand
  55. Yugemos
    May 28, 2009
    This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice change from your average run and gun gameplay. Rapture is an extremely beautiful place and even with the great story there still an enormous amount of backstory that you can discover with the tapes. bad points: the vita chambers are a bit of an immersion breaker (but you can fix that with a patch) the end boss is kinda stupid and easy to kill. [MAJOR-SPOILERS] at the end when you turn into a big daddy, it seems forced and you're practically just a man with a fishbowel on his head (hopefully better in bioshock 2) but the good far outweigh the bad and my only problem with ths game is that i cant find my disk :'-( 10/10 everytime. Expand
  56. GJMot
    Jun 11, 2009
    From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you never played the game from having a crappy computer.... Now back to the good stuff :D The setting is indeed unique and wonderous, something never achieved before except in books. Characters are unforgettable and endless details like the posters, costumes, accents and traits all combine to do one thing, make us want MORE!!! Once more, the art deco is something never done before in the gaming industry and deserves full recognition. I cannot help but rofl everytime I hear the circus of value (vending machine), that thing is gold! "Come back when you get some money buddy" lol lol lol I think we all wish for a bioschock multiplayer...but i guess we'll have to wait for BS2. So for anyone wanting to know a final word of advice, play it from start to finish....THEN review it. For once critics got it right on the money! Expand
  57. NickG.
    Jul 27, 2009
    I wanted to try this out when i viewed the positive reviews it has got.When I finished it ,i was not disappointed at all.It has some unique features i have never seen before,all visuals were perfect,as well as the storyline.Also,there weren't any bugs in the game,although some people experienced some...Depends on the PC probably.Anyway,you gotta try this out!
  58. CharlesS
    Aug 18, 2009
    To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is more than a video game. The characters have such depth, that it almost feels as if you are playing a memory. Expand
  59. HunterK
    Jan 11, 2010
    The most amazing game I played so far. It is like you are litterally playing through a movie. Such a perfect storyline! I have played this game at least 18 times and still counting!
  60. N.Davidson
    Jan 17, 2010
    I personally think BioShock is THE best game ever made. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, the voice acting, the story, all of it was written and executed beautifully. The only thing worth speaking negatively about are some of the music choices and the well-known sound skip issue for the PC, but you're so immersed in this great game that you hardly even care. Please I personally think BioShock is THE best game ever made. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, the voice acting, the story, all of it was written and executed beautifully. The only thing worth speaking negatively about are some of the music choices and the well-known sound skip issue for the PC, but you're so immersed in this great game that you hardly even care. Please BioShock 2, carry on the legacy. Expand
  61. zachS.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The content in bioshock is amazing. The guns, plasmids, recordings all take you into a game story I've never seen attempted. The story of rapture and learning what the hell it was was very interesting as well. Plus the way people became paranoid like Sander Cohen through splicing was funny to me as well, haha. Played through a few times, bioshock 2 is a must-get.
  62. S.K.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Unfortunately, this game's user score is marred by people who can't grasp the simply astounding story and great narrative mixed with beautiful visuals and great FPS gameplay. They say nothing new, they say linear, but this game offered something more only certain gamers can understand.
  63. BrianK.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I am a huge fan of System Shock 2 and figured that BioShock was the underwater version. After playing through this (somewhat easy) game I found that the story compelled me to move on. I was very impressed with the visuals, voice acting and story line twists. I gave it a 9 because once you beat it a couple times you just feel finished. I hope for a franchise.
  64. Angel
    Nov 3, 2007
    The best game since Half-Life.
  65. ThomasK.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Incrediable game! The environment is rich with sights and sounds and the steampunk influence is wonderful! While the end is a bit anticlimatic the game is still a hit!
  66. VinceB.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Bioshock tells a very mysterious and turbulent story that has twists and turns around many a corner, the biggest twist tying the whole story together, justifying some unavoidable linear game-play. With lush visuals and a great sound scape, Bioshock deserves a 10 by all means.
  67. JamesO.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Bioshock puts many of my favourite FPS's to shame in its story, strategy and atmosphere. Its pure brilliance. The only reason I haven't given it 10 is because I believe that no game is perfect. Bioshock is as close to perfect as you can get but not quite there.
  68. MaxM.
    Nov 6, 2007
    THIS GAME OWNS. The only thing that lets the game down is the vita-chambers other-wise the game is cool.
  69. DiogoF.
    Nov 6, 2007
    The game is completely amazing, I loved it, the ending is kick a..! The only problem is that it hasn't a an multiplayer feature, othewise it would be perfect.
  70. BobS.
    Oct 2, 2007
    This game blends a compelling and deep story and moral dillemas with great gameplay. It truly is one of the best games made in recent history.
  71. MikeP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    A dark and magnificent artwork which makes other games look like children's toys. The combat is a fusion of RPG style spells and gritty FPS combat, and the storyline is (apart from its miserably bad ending) mature, stylish and thought-provoking.
  72. TomasB.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Most atmospheric, depressive and genius masterpiece of decade.
  73. JasonR.
    Oct 25, 2007
    If video games are uniformly not considered "art," then Bioshock proves that "art" is worse off for it. Combining engrossing gameplay, peerless atmosphere, and brilliant storytelling, Bioshock sets the bar for the medium. And it sets the bar very, very high.
  74. J.C.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Bioshock is one of those rare gems in the FPS world. Rich graphics and superb weapon selection/modification is bench mark for most FPSs now a days but what BioShock brings to the table is what most lack; intest, moving story dialog. The story and it's characters are amazing. From unique looks to great voice acting the game can really draw you in. I must play and instant classic in my book.
  75. MehmetT.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Bioshock is a shooter with some minor elements of RPG in it, and it does a excellent job of portraying that in the gameplay. You have a good selection of weapons (and upgrades for them) and loads of biomodications. These allow you to dispatch the creepy and dangerous denizens of Rapture in a multitude of satisfying ways. On top of all of this the game boasts top notch graphics (my Bioshock is a shooter with some minor elements of RPG in it, and it does a excellent job of portraying that in the gameplay. You have a good selection of weapons (and upgrades for them) and loads of biomodications. These allow you to dispatch the creepy and dangerous denizens of Rapture in a multitude of satisfying ways. On top of all of this the game boasts top notch graphics (my computer is pretty average by today's standards and the game still looked impressive) and sound effects (the score is pretty impressive too but also really creepy). The game is also supported by a solid story told through audio diaries and radio transmissions, which further reinforce the feeling of desolation and ruin of the city of Rapture. Some people criticize the game for being too short, but I think the game ends just when things might start to get boring. Also the game was remarkably stable on my system as it only crashed once from start to finish. So, if you are in any way interested in good shooters, an intriguing story and a captivating atmosphere; go buy this game, like now. Expand
  76. DougF.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Unlike any other game on the market! Excellent graphics, superb sound, fantastic original story, and great gameplay with unique and fun combat system!
  77. SlickV.
    Oct 6, 2007
    One of the best games of the year! If your feeling cautious, because of bad reviews, download the demo and you will see...fantastic....beautiful....imaginative....challenging. I purchased it for xbox 360 worth every dollar!
  78. DavidS.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Very solid game. While I had to contend with the bugs, gameplay is very action oriented, driving storyline, and the impressive score all help to make this game immersive and keeps ya hooked. However, did feel like things were kinda trailing near the end in relation to the beginning, but you will play this title more than once, and exploring is a rewarding experience. If you were a fan of Very solid game. While I had to contend with the bugs, gameplay is very action oriented, driving storyline, and the impressive score all help to make this game immersive and keeps ya hooked. However, did feel like things were kinda trailing near the end in relation to the beginning, but you will play this title more than once, and exploring is a rewarding experience. If you were a fan of the Deus Ex series at all, give this game a try. Expand
  79. S.S.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Great story line, exploring is possible (not always one path to follow), addictive game play has remapped my reflexes (right mouse button!). Gorgeous graphics require equally impressive computer, and I had to tune down quite a few features (mostly screen res) to make the game play sketch free ... but even then, a beautiful game.
  80. RyanM.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This game was amazing. the story and plot so original and immersing. this is one of the best games ive played in a VERY long time.
  81. B.H.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is by far the best game to come out in the genre in YEARS! I have been playing video games for more than 20 years and this has to be one of the best of all time..hands down.
  82. AndrewC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    One of the best and scariest games I've ever played. A worthy successor to system shock 1 and 2. In fact, I daresay in many ways it surpasses them. The only game I've played in YEARS to make me scream out loud... not once, but twice! A must own. Period.
  83. EC
    Aug 22, 2007
    WOW! Just... wow. Such an amazing game from the graphics to the sound to the plot line. First off, the graphics are gorgeous! Rendered using a modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, everything is rendered with great detail and with amazing physics (which is needed in a game with lots of fire and telekinetic powers). The artwork in it is also quite awe inspiring from the creepy splicers WOW! Just... wow. Such an amazing game from the graphics to the sound to the plot line. First off, the graphics are gorgeous! Rendered using a modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, everything is rendered with great detail and with amazing physics (which is needed in a game with lots of fire and telekinetic powers). The artwork in it is also quite awe inspiring from the creepy splicers to the monstrous Big Daddies. However, the thing that kept me in is still the amazing plot. You're hurled into the middle of quite an adventure with almost no details (kind of Half-Life-esque) and you just find your own way around. The weapon/plasmid(superpower) system works really well with an endless combination of strategies you can use to defeat the enemies in the game (which at times just come out of the darkness and swarm you from 20 sides) It's probably one of the best done games I've ever had the pleasure of playing and is just purely amazing. Anyone who's a fan of plot driven first person shooters NEEDS to get this. Expand
  84. MarkS.
    Aug 22, 2007
    This game has it all. Great gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, and atmosphere. There is little to complain about with this title. From the opening cutscene, you get drawn into the world of Rapture. The dark atmosphere of the game is enhanced by the familiar sounds of old music hits from way back. When the action is at low state, you can hear sounds coming from other rooms, such as This game has it all. Great gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, and atmosphere. There is little to complain about with this title. From the opening cutscene, you get drawn into the world of Rapture. The dark atmosphere of the game is enhanced by the familiar sounds of old music hits from way back. When the action is at low state, you can hear sounds coming from other rooms, such as water trickling and voices. While the lack of true widescreen support is disappointing, there is no reason that anyone even remotely interested in FPS games shouldn't rush out and pick this up now, provided you meet the minimum hardware requirements. Turn the lights down (better yet OFF) and get lost in the undersea world of Rapture. Bioshock is, without a doubt, the best FPS since Half Life 2 Expand
  85. PaulT/
    Aug 23, 2007
    Simply brilliant, a true successor to System Shock 2 at last. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. The future of games is alive & it is Bioshock......
  86. YermakirumY.
    Very good game.
  87. BenM.
    Aug 24, 2007
    I'm not one to blindly follow the hype of a game, but I admittedly could not wait until Bioshock was released. I am happy to report that it is everything I could have hoped for and more! Outstanding graphics, awe-inspiring sounds and atmospheric effects, solid story telling in the style of Half-Life 2 (with the addition of audio tapes acting as a narrative), and one of the most I'm not one to blindly follow the hype of a game, but I admittedly could not wait until Bioshock was released. I am happy to report that it is everything I could have hoped for and more! Outstanding graphics, awe-inspiring sounds and atmospheric effects, solid story telling in the style of Half-Life 2 (with the addition of audio tapes acting as a narrative), and one of the most visceral and heart-pounding gaming experienced I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The only minor gripes I currently have are the lack of a speed modified when playing with the keyboard and mouse (you can't walk without a 360 controller!), and the fact that the game utilizes the SecuROM DRM system to authenticate the game to a limited (5 currently) number of PCs, even on the Steam version. Beware of this fact. That being said, if you like games, then there's something to like about Bioshock and you really should check it out. Expand
  88. DJ
    Aug 24, 2007
    What can I say that hasn't already be said. I just completed the game, but will definately play it again now, trying new things as I go. The game ran great and had no glitches, bugs, or other problems for me (high-end system, though). Definately worth the money.
    I only wish it could have had slightly more content, but then maybe I'm just greedy.
  89. neilspeck
    Aug 24, 2007
    i am a fifty year old gamer and this year looks like it will be a bumper year if crysis or indeed any other game can match up to bioshock.i am running it usinng a xt1900xtx and it looks awsome.the game play is addictive and fun also at the same time pulls you in and sucks you out wanting more.and guess what you get more cos it gets better each time you play it.i have had it one day and ii am a fifty year old gamer and this year looks like it will be a bumper year if crysis or indeed any other game can match up to bioshock.i am running it usinng a xt1900xtx and it looks awsome.the game play is addictive and fun also at the same time pulls you in and sucks you out wanting more.and guess what you get more cos it gets better each time you play it.i have had it one day and i have been on and off it about 6 times in between meals and sleep etc.amazing the trouble is i am going to greece on holiday monday and i will have to wait a week then before i can play it again.what else can i say except if anyone knocks it i would like to know what they have been playing. Expand
  90. JohnV.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Not sure how the FOV really ruins the game or effects gameplay. I also haven't encountered any of these "tons of graphical glitches" and I can always see my mouse cursor. Anyways, this is one of the most amazing games I have every played and even more so goes on to show that a great single player storyline will beat out a rich multiplayer mode any day of the week. It has all the Not sure how the FOV really ruins the game or effects gameplay. I also haven't encountered any of these "tons of graphical glitches" and I can always see my mouse cursor. Anyways, this is one of the most amazing games I have every played and even more so goes on to show that a great single player storyline will beat out a rich multiplayer mode any day of the week. It has all the elements of great gameplay and storline inclusion that in the end, make this one of the greatest video games I have EVER played. Expand
  91. CollinC.
    Aug 25, 2007
    One of the few games that can truly be considered art. Bioshock offers the gamer a glimpse of what lies ahead for this rapidly evolving medium.
  92. dd
    Aug 25, 2007
    It is simply the best FPS game I've ever played. The graphics are stunning and varied. There are lots of puzzles but they never feel like puzzles, they feel like actual problems to be solved. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is that while it's the best in the genre, it's not an entirely new concept, even if it is the best execution of the concept
  93. RJT.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Bioshock is an experience no one should miss! A exciting and interesting story is here, surrounded by a finely detailed world that is quite unique. Many times I would just stop and marvel, at how well crafted each piece of Rapture really is. The only fault I can find here, is the lack of penalties after your character dies. the challenge is really negated by the Vital chambers. But this Bioshock is an experience no one should miss! A exciting and interesting story is here, surrounded by a finely detailed world that is quite unique. Many times I would just stop and marvel, at how well crafted each piece of Rapture really is. The only fault I can find here, is the lack of penalties after your character dies. the challenge is really negated by the Vital chambers. But this is a minor thing, when compared to the overall creation. Wonderful! Thank you for once again raising the standards for all future games. This is a quality experience, with great voice acting, engaging storyline, amazing graphics, and most of all... exciting. I have enjoyed every second I have spent in Rapture! Expand
  94. BigJim49
    Aug 26, 2007
    I have deliberately made a point of not looking at other comments while playing this game. I'm about halfway through and from the first I have had the distinct impression of deja vu. System Shock 2 sprang immediately to mind. Still a very good game, good story and gameplay. The mark of a good game is that it forces you to sit on the PC for hours just to see what happens next. II have deliberately made a point of not looking at other comments while playing this game. I'm about halfway through and from the first I have had the distinct impression of deja vu. System Shock 2 sprang immediately to mind. Still a very good game, good story and gameplay. The mark of a good game is that it forces you to sit on the PC for hours just to see what happens next. I should be out gardening but I've managed to lose a full day playing this thing... very addictive. Expand
  95. KN
    Aug 26, 2007
    this is a great game, the idea of having diffrent ammo types, upgradable guns (the chemical thrower is REAL FUN) plasmids all adds to variety although there are 2 things which i think would make the game better.
    1. some more character variety because killing splicers over and over then hacking security cameras becomes very repetetive (at least half life 2 had zombies/people/combine ect)
    2. its always action and i dont think there is enough breaks in gameplay, what i liked were games like HL2/dark messiah/dues ex all had camps where you could stock up on ammo and were out of the action for 5 minutes... with this its constant

but all in all great storyline, good combat, innotive ideas such as hacking and a great way to show off the new unreal engine before MOH AB and UT3
  96. KT
    Aug 27, 2007
    If ever there was a game to rival HL and HL2, this would be it. From the characters, to the atmosphere, to the music, this game is the mona lisa of the gaming age. The dystopian feel, the 1984 ambiance, the ayn rand story architechture (especially in Ryan) are all top notch. If you own a functional modern pc (meaning graphics card of 7950 gtx and up) you owe it to yourself to get this If ever there was a game to rival HL and HL2, this would be it. From the characters, to the atmosphere, to the music, this game is the mona lisa of the gaming age. The dystopian feel, the 1984 ambiance, the ayn rand story architechture (especially in Ryan) are all top notch. If you own a functional modern pc (meaning graphics card of 7950 gtx and up) you owe it to yourself to get this game. It's that good. Expand
  97. ChrisG.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Amazing! The graphics are not the best ever seen (ex. Crysis), but the overall atmosphere is amazing. I'm running on a DX9 system, so I haven't experienced the DX10 "extras", but from the side by side comparisons I've seen on the web, there isn't too much difference. The standout of the game is that the sound design is some of the best I've ever experienced. The Amazing! The graphics are not the best ever seen (ex. Crysis), but the overall atmosphere is amazing. I'm running on a DX9 system, so I haven't experienced the DX10 "extras", but from the side by side comparisons I've seen on the web, there isn't too much difference. The standout of the game is that the sound design is some of the best I've ever experienced. The voice acting is top notch. The pacing is perfect. Characters have a personality and go about their daily routines, mumbling strange things to themselves or arguing amongst themselves. This is a living world. There are some minor flaws, but they do not detract from the experience. I have not fallen victim to widescreen issues or any of the registration issues, so I can't talk on those. One of the flaws that I have noticed is that the weapons don't feel right, sometimes. The shotgun, my personal favorite, doesn't have a realistic feel when up close to an enemy. The sound of the shotgun blast is off occasionally. The pistol sounds and feels more powerful than the shotgun. The other thing that seemed strange was that the enemies get tougher as you progress, but without any visual difference. Why does it now take 3 headshots to take down a common enemy that only took 1 earlier? Did they upgrade their health? Are they wearing invisible armor? Why? My advice to anyone that wants to get the most out of this game: 1) Turn up the volume, 2) Use 5.1 speakers or headphones, 3) Sit close to the monitor, 4) Adjust the Brightness through the game options to the optimal setting, 5) Play in a dark room. 6) Turn off subtitles, quest arrow, shiny usable objects ( This adds to the realism and forces you to explore more of the world, unlocking more of Raptures secrets, 7) The game gets better the further you progress, so keep playing This game will pull you in and not let go. Expand
  98. JosephS.
    Aug 28, 2007
    The most minor of flaw is the lack of online play. Otherwise it is easily one of the most amazing games I've ever played. There are games you play once, and there are games you lay awake in your bed thinking about, contemplating strategies, and ultimately returning to your computer to waste away your sleeping hours with your eyes wide and unblinking, staring at that glowing box that The most minor of flaw is the lack of online play. Otherwise it is easily one of the most amazing games I've ever played. There are games you play once, and there are games you lay awake in your bed thinking about, contemplating strategies, and ultimately returning to your computer to waste away your sleeping hours with your eyes wide and unblinking, staring at that glowing box that sends you into this amazing world. There's simply nothing else like it. This is the sort of game people will be talking about nostalgically in fifteen years, exclaiming how it changed the video game industry for the better. In a world of games that rely on graphics and throw story development down the crapper, this game shines blindingly, and shows us just how flawed other games are, and these games bow before Bioshock. Expand
  99. JudsonV.
    Aug 31, 2007
    This masterpiece combines first-rate gameplay, storytelling, visuals, and even sound into the best game I have played in a long time. Truly, video game art.
  100. AndrewB.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Wow I had 3 hours of the best gamepley ever last night have a radeon x1900 gt and it looks superb the best graphics I have ever seen! I was thinking of upgrading my Graphics card but I don't think I really need too. Not at all samey samey like oblivion (once you have seen one grey castle you have seen them all!. I cannot wait to get back and play some more . Intelligent Ai even on Wow I had 3 hours of the best gamepley ever last night have a radeon x1900 gt and it looks superb the best graphics I have ever seen! I was thinking of upgrading my Graphics card but I don't think I really need too. Not at all samey samey like oblivion (once you have seen one grey castle you have seen them all!. I cannot wait to get back and play some more . Intelligent Ai even on medium settings. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.