8.4

1. Apr 30, 2013
    I myself do not critic games like that. But this is an exception. Bioshock has proven itself and to everyone else why it is one of the greatest games ever created. The only problem is that you must have a plan set for when facing the Big Daddy if you do not want often visits to the Vita chamber.
  2. May 9, 2013
    this game is awesome amazing story and amazing gameplay with great soundtracks and a twist that will blow your mind away this game simply one of the best shooters ever made
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    One of my favourite games. Everything is perfect. Rapture with its inhabitants was a great place to explore, The plot and characters afre great. The first hour of playing was terrifying but even after the atmosphere made me scary sometimes. And the ending. It was just sad and perfect.
  4. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok. In my personal OPINION this game does not have one single flaw and is one of if not the most memorable experience I have ever had in gaming. That being said I can see how it is not for everyone BUT to actually call this a "bad" game and give it a 1? You are either a contrarian and a hater or you are just stupid and make no mistake this is a game for smart people. People say things like oh you can use plasmids and guns? cool that gets boring after 3 seconds. to those people I say what about the hundreds of FPS games that have no rpg elements you can only use guns and you are fighting the EXACT same enemies over and over? meh its not for everyone.. 10/10 for me and deserves no less than an 8 from everyone. Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    BioShock is an atmospheric, fun, and well-written first person shooter that holds up even in 2013, almost 5 years after it's release. The level design is great, the story is amazing, and it has enough tense moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. The RPG elements such as weapon, plasmid, and character upgrades give you the feeling of progression throughout. However, the gameplay is a slightly different story. It's not exactly the best, but it's entertaining enough to keep you from feeling like you're just watching a movie. The boss fights do feel out of place, and there isn't a ton of variety in the enemy types. The idea of researching enemies with a camera is interesting, but poorly implemented. My final complaint is the slow beginning. It's there to build tension, but ultimately ends up being a boring, tedious tutorial disguised as a level. All in all, BioShock is an amazing game, and it's definitely worth you're time and money. Expand
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    I know I'm late in the game but I have just recently got back into gaming. Back in the days when I used to play console (before switching over to Computer), I downloaded the demo for this game for xbox360. Never got around to buying it or playing it because it was too scary for me. However, I have grown up and I am now a big boy...

This game is for big boys (and girls). It's fun,
    tough, exciting, and gets your adrenaline going! I may not be an expert or veteran with the Bioshock series, but I can't wait to play the next two Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    1 of the best video game ever made. Would you kindly try the game even if you don't like the FPs genre. This aint one of those brainless run and shoot. Amazing gameplay, amazing visuals, amazing story, amazing EVERYTHING! 1 of the rare 10 out of 10 games I have been honored to play.
  8. Oct 4, 2013
    The graphics and art direction, the slow unveiling of the story of Rapture’s fall, the sheer creepiness of it all, and the gameplay which, quite often, makes almost every shooter until now seem rather dull in comparison.
  9. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock. What an amazing game. It has easily made my list of favorite games. Great atmosphere, mind blowing story, a feeling of estrangement, and the 50's style nostalgia makes for a great experience. The Plasmids along with the weapons make combat interesting, and everyone who is anyone can recognize the Big Daddy as an Iconic Entity from a fantastic game.
  10. Apr 4, 2013
    Well ok, I bought this on 2011, but I frickin love it. The weapons and enemies, atmosphere. They are all huge leap to technology of gaming. Year 2006 they made this game. Holly dang. I love Irrational Games/ 2K Boston.
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    BioShock is an outstanding first person shooter that introduces world, characters and mechanics like any other.
    Of course the most talked and revolutionary thing BioShock does, is introducing the world as it's own character. Rapture is a dark, disturbing and forgotten underwater city that sucks you in, making you truly believe you're there. It also mantains
    posters, audio files and images of what the great city once was, making it a lot more inmersive. The story is extremely well written with deep, three-dimensional characters. However, I found myself rushing through the last 2 hours, just so I could get to the end credits after spending more than 15 hours in the game. Both sound and music are superb, creating an incredibly inmersive and suspenseful world. The mechanics/gameplay in this game are really good, and though the game encourages you not to engage in a battle with multiple oponents (cause you'll die), the A.I never encourages stealth, considering they spot with extreme ease. The plasmids in the game are very well integrated with the shooting mechanic. They bring an estrategic side to the combat, with the player thinking how to set traps and how to use in advantage in really tough fights. The graphics are great and they trully help with the inmersion to Rapture. There's a hacking mini-game that is really simple and well thought, but it gets old pretty easily, considering how much you use it. The Big Daddies. These guys really bring a challenge and satisfaction when defeated. Though the satisfaction doesn't last long, after you see a Little Sister (the ones they protect) crying for their Big Daddy. The little sisters carry ADAM, which you'll need to upgrade your plasmids, and you can either harvest them (you get more ADAM and they die) or save them (you'll get less ADAM and they come back to being little, normal girls). That decission changes a few plot points, but not too much.
    In the end, BioShock manages to step out of the box with deep characters, strong mechanics, reallistic sounds and graphics that will make you want to replay the game quite a few times.
    Average Score: 9.2
  12. May 2, 2013
    Having just finished BioShock for the first time, I am upset that I didn't give this game a proper chance sooner. While the graphics are still pretty good for today the gunplay, plasmids and enemies can get pretty repetitive, and there isn't a ton of strategy. However, that isn't what this game is about. Its not just that the story and plot are great (they are) but I honestly felt like I was the character. At the beginning I was scared and confused, I didn't know where I was or what the heck I was doing. As I progressed I began to feel comfortable with the game and started to feel super powerful, only to have that all torn away. The ending is one of the most compelling of any game I have ever played, and this game is well worth the 10 hours it will take to finish. Expand
  13. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is perfect in every way. Its tense, the story is gripping and deep (feel the pun), the graphics are beautiful and the style of the game is original. The gene tonics are impressive and add RPG elements to a FPS game. The Plasmids give you the edge in combat. The story contains deep, political content and even the enemies who you kill have deep personalities, and the audio diaries show you the citizens of rapture in their last few moments. A masterpiece of gaming. Expand
  14. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely
    reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    Bioshock had tiny flaws but not enough to hold it back from being a perfect game. Freezes for two seconds that come around now and then, and re-spawn had no penalty, although the respawn system itself was not such a bad idea. If they didn't add the re-spawn system there would be no check points because of the open environment around you. And with constant enemies running around. So this shouldn't reduce it's score. The other problem with the game freezes shouldn't reduce the score because they happen very rarely and it's uniqueness makes up for any down sides. Anyone who doesn't give this game a 10/10 doesn't see its potential, they're one minded and don't have fun can be had with game, even if they have experienced it. Expand
  16. May 4, 2013
    This amazing game has the best atmosphere in all the games I've played. The story is compelling and filled with interesting characters. Exploring Rapture was a great experience, and didn't feel like a chore at all.

I have no idea what others are talking about dull FPS features. The plasmids really give a new, fun way to kill your enemies. Blasting a hundred rounds isn't really possible
    in this game. Sometimes, ammo is very plentiful and you can afford to do this. But, sometimes, you literally have no ammo, and no EVE, and then you really start to use the environment, and your melee skills. Although, there isn't really a penalty when you die, it's really just spawns you back in the level. Which I dislike

The only reason I gave this a 9, was because the physics seem to lag, but it doesn't break me from the immersion all that much, but for others, it does. The rest of the graphics, still look modern to me, also. Overall, this game is just plain awesome.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  19. May 16, 2013
    BioShock is such a unique game. It has a very special atmosphere all the time. Everything in this game is so special, like the Big Daddies, they won't attack you, they are like a real dad, protecting the little sisters. The little sisters even cried after you killed their dad. And I like the type of graphic in this game, it gives a dark and old feels to you.
  20. sft
    Sep 1, 2013
    Who’s the Big Daddy?

BIOSHOCK is a fine example of what is achievable through the medium of video games. The developers have managed to combine an engaging story with strong RPG and FPS elements to produce a thoroughly absorbing and memorable experience. The storyline is unusually effective and all the more compelling due to the aspects of morality it addresses. The voice acting is
    terrific, especially the chuntering splicers that wander around Rapture their psychotic ramblings are utterly convincing. The game is also graphically impressive for a 2007 production Rapture is a beautiful, art deco wreck of a city. There could perhaps have been more humour, but overall this is one of the best single-player games I’ve played. Expand
  21. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock is a refreshing, story based game for the PC, Playstation and Xbox. I played Bioshock on PC, and it was a great, 13 hour campaign, with a great twist. This game is very well designed, and acted out, both by the AI characters, and the voices that bring them to life. However, it does have flaws:
    1. The endings are BORING! Even though there are 2 alternate endings, there both unsatisfying and short (less than 1 minute).
    2. In my opinion, the Fort Frolic level feels like a time filler, put in by the developers at the last moment.
    3. This is just me being nit-picky, but: I found it really annoying that all the little sisters look the same! With a occasional blonde haired sister, all of them have the same face, hair and voice.

Other than that, great game! If you have a spare $20, and a thirst for a great game this is definite buy.
  22. Jun 26, 2013
    I couldn't understand the hype over Bioshock infinite- Bioshock 1 will always remain in my heart as the best Bioshock of them all, the story is amazing and gameplay is pretty fun. I'd say the story and execution of the story bumps this game to 93, gameplay wise it's around 80.
    Recommended!
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    Exciting, eerie, creative, jaw dropping, terrifying, electrifying, memorable, fun. Bioshock is the rare game that perfectly blend all those elements together. The story engulfs you in Rapture, one of the most unique and awesome game locations I've ever played. As you progress, you'll discover and explore the ruins of Rapture and learn more about Rapture and what happened and your character's involvement on why he's here in the first place.
    Combat works will blending survival horror elements, such as lack of abundant ammo, to great first person shooting mechanics. It also adds a new spin with Plasmids, giving your character the ablility to electrocute, set on fire, freeze, control, patronize, hypnotize, and among many others.

Such a game like Bioshock can perfectly combine everything that can shooters great. It's exciting, it's terrifying, keeps you on the edge of your seat, it sparks wonder and curiosity. The only thing that keeps this game from being perfect is the ending/ final boss. Ending is kind of out of place (meaning it's either warm hearted or a cold slap in the face that doesn't really conclude your character's journey.) and I didn't lean towards how the final boss was done.

Still, fantastic game.
  24. Jul 7, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers Graphics: Love the graphics but some dead splicers just move their hands or legs so imagine a dead splicer waving to you Sound: Every sound in the game is great also the the music the violin just goes with bioshock 's style Game play: Fun but sometimes repetitive Story: Probably the main reason you would play the game just to know the your ending
    Overall Bioshock is a great game which i would recommend for you.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. It delivers messages about mankind that are just plain amazing. The soundtrack, the voice acting and the story are just completely beautiful. And its game play is just awesome. No other game has impressed me more than Bioshock has, and in my opinion its he best game on the Playstation 3 let alone one of the greatest games ever created. This is my most favorite game and no other game surpasses it. I especially love the environment of the game: Rapture. The style of its design is amazing as well as the tone that it delivers. All around Bioshock is a masterpiece and should be played by any gamer out there. If you haven't played it, you're missing out on one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Expand
  26. Aug 5, 2013
    It's... just...Bioshock! One of the best games i know with a really amazing story, really nice gameplay and the most awesome underwater city in the world!
  27. Aug 10, 2013
    I wouldn't even call this a 'game'. It should be called a masterpiece. The story-line to it draws you in the second you start the game. The mechanics of the game were flawless. Rapture is an enticing underwater Atlantis that will keep you playing the game for hours and hours.
  28. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Best graphics of its time!! When you just get into the game you cant tell which is real or not, the TV or the couch. The AI helps you and even without it the combat is definitely better than any fps i have ever played. It gives you the choice to play stealth or just run out killing everyone with health boosts in the middle of the map Expand
  29. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  30. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  31. Sep 22, 2013
    played this game after amazed by how good infinite is
    and im impressed bioshock managed to improve their theme and gameplay since their first game
    the atmosphere is awesome
    rupture feel so scary and dark but also glamour with city life
    the gameplay is awesome and im about to play the second series of the game
  32. Sep 19, 2013
    just buy it it,s goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd
  33. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this game hit the scene in 2007, there was nothing like it. Bioshock is what you get when you combine science, art, philosophy, and first-person action. Every element in the game, from the story, to the graphics, to the weapons and powers all meld together into a near-perfect piece of art. This game series alone could prove to anyone that video games can be art. Expand
  34. Sep 20, 2013
    There's a great game, this game is Bioshock. No, not Bioshock Infinite, first Bioshock. You see, this have anything you want: a great gameplay that can show you not only "Pew-pew", but and tactic shooter, great walking threw the city, collecting items and more of such a good combinations with great shooting. You will just look at this beauty views and you'll find out what's a real city. By the way, game can show you a great and perfect story of city, main character, other characters and, of course, city. You just enjoy the game and listen a beautiful music from there. There is a many win thing that you should learn by yourself. Enjoy this masterpiece! Expand
  35. Sep 20, 2013
    This is a generally great game. At the time of its release it may have gotten less attention than it does now (probably in part due to the cartoony nature of it's disk cover, which was quite misleading), but it really added a whole new level to the modern FPS scene. The gameplay flows well, although the combat is usually somewhat less than real-time, because the game allows the player to pause and browse through their inventory in the middle of combat. This set aside, the story is riveting (pun, get it?) and unpredictable, and the atmosphere is good enough to rival the gameplay itself. Expand
  36. Oct 8, 2013
    A wonderful retro-style FPS set in an undersea city in the 60s. You can blast or stun your enemies using a wide array of guns and abilities in a haunting claustrophobic setting unlike any other. Like in System Shock 2 you can select and update your skills, hack devices (e.g. turrets), customize your character’s powers and overcome challenges in your own way.
    In terms of cons, the gameplay
    is rather wonky (e.g. hard to target some enemies moving &shooting alarmingly fast) while the game is very lenient when it comes to the character’s death: the character can rez again and again while the enemy’s health is not refilled (in other words, the game does not require gamers to play carefully). Also, the dark dystopian setting, although impressive, grows drab (thankfully Arcadia & Prometheus change the ambience).

PS the game’s well-designed hacking system rules
  37. Oct 11, 2013
    First time I had played this game was march 2010 on my xbox. I loved it even though I couldn't follow the story well. Then in my second play through I loved it even more Lots of stuff to know about main characters, not perfect but very surprising plot. Perfect atmosphere and great music. I liked the graphics in 2010 and I still like it in 2013 I finished it for third time after Bioshock Infinite on my PC. Expand
  38. Oct 21, 2013
    replayed recently and all I have to say is still worth $60 even by today's standards, the graphics being the only exception but not as far behind as one might expect from a game its age. One of my all time favorites.
  39. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  40. Jun 11, 2014
    A truly unrivaled steampunk game in every regard. From the start of the game it pulls you in and does not let you go. And of course, PC makes it look absolutely beautiful. It's also only like $5 if you wait for am Amazon sale.
  41. Nov 5, 2013
    Bioshock took me by surprise. The beautiful world of rapture is one of the most original and overall coolest settings of a game in any genre. It plays like a thinking mans shoot and loot. The AI is great and you're never short of options for how to go about progressing in the game. Each chapter has suprises and odd characters which will keep you going while you hope it never ends. If you want an amazing single player FPS experience definitely give this one a go. Expand
  42. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the best games i ever played. Rapture will be on my memories for a long time. The best part of Bioshock is not the gameplay, it's the story.
  43. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of video gaming. Play this and tell me video games aren't art. One of the greatest games ever made. Is able to stand out among a market inundated by annual FPS games.
  44. May 31, 2014
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    I've played lots of games over the years and very rarely has something stood out like BioShock. I was late to the game on this one, playing it years after it came out, but the incredible amount of work put into it made it stand out, even against better looking games.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and
    go, but Bioshock deserves to join the ranks of Half-life 1 as one of the greatest games in which one shoots other people.
    Story doesnt matter. Characters dont matter. Graphics dont matter. Only what you feel with the gun floating in front of your face matters.
    Very few games give me what I call the Ocarina of Time paradox--I want to play them over and over in order to re experience them, but it becomes less special as I play it more times. I can't wait until enough time has passed for me to play this game again.
  45. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  46. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  47. Aug 20, 2014
    It was a really fun game despite how many times i ended up dying. Even someone as bad as me at video games can beat it on medium. The story was great and i can't wait to play the next one!
  48. May 4, 2014
    In the beginning I almost shat in my pants because of these splicers, but after few hours I started to really like it. Those plasmids were really cool. The ending boss was a shame - it was too easy to bit. Because I rescued all of the little sisters I dealt with I got the good ending. The ending was a bit too much touchy, but it was OK. I really liked the idea of a city under the sea. Really cool. Expand
  49. Apr 13, 2014
    Great videogame! Smart plot. Unique shooter mechanic and visually inpressive. I love art-style and beatiful music. I see that people who created this put his souls in their work.
  50. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  51. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  52. Apr 23, 2014
    Most bad shooters are overrated while underrated are excellent retrieval in each hand of playing. BioShock is a fascinating, worth it -- unlike traditional; It occupies all other shooters hypes. Rapture....Plasmids...Hacking Machines...Big Daddies.....Little Sisters....combines BioShock's greatness.
  53. Mar 30, 2014
    One the best games I've ever played. Atmosphere is perfect. Controls are a bit clunky compared to "Infinite" but I think it adds to the charm. The story is unraveled in an Oscar worthy fashion. This game is just another reason I think people should take gaming more seriously.
  54. Apr 28, 2014
    A true masterpiece. Phenomenal graphics. Immersive atmosphere and great level design. Fantastic shooting mechanics. One of my top 5 favorite games of all time.
  55. Jun 14, 2014
    This is the best FPS I've seen for a long. Good story, good visual narative and a good localization. This is one of my favorite FPS with DOOM , BioShock Infinite, System Shock 2, Half Life, Half Life 2
  56. May 9, 2014
    Excelente juego con respecto a historia, muy entretenido y muy buena jugabilidad. El diseño artístico es exelente, ademas muy acorde con la época en la cual se basa el juego.
  57. May 22, 2014
    Bioshock is, undoubtedly, one of the most intense, unique and beautiful first-person shooter I've ever played. The ambience, graphics, music and special style of gameplay of Bioshock has set the bar for all game developers. 2K has produced a masterpiece; do yourself a favour and play it.
  58. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a
    'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  59. Sep 5, 2014
    BioShock is a true masterpiece in gaming history, with so much to feel, to learn, to cry for as you making your way to the end. The atmosphere is full of art, and the game is thrilling itself. The story is both heart-pumping and mind-blowing, just like the game's graphic and sounds. Maybe the gameplay isn't that deep with several flaws, but just keep in mind: this is the best ride to a city under the sea you've seen in years. Expand
  60. Jun 10, 2014
    Un FPS muy atractivo y necesario, en el que se conjuga un fuerte mundo narrativa con acción. A nivel gráfico interesante y su relación con el imaginario de Ayn Rand le convierte en una fantástica compra.
  61. Jun 13, 2014
    Bioshock is phenomenal. I still cannot get over the fact it came out 7 years ago and yet still looks better than half the stuff that came out this year. gun/plasmid play is fun but the game really comes alive with its story and setting. Play it.
  62. Jul 14, 2014
    BioShock is my all time favorite game. A lot of people seem to not understand why this game is so great. My answer? The details. Starting from the stunning soundtrack, all the through the little easter eggs ending with the dialogs. Playing through the games roughly 10 times i always find every single time i find something that i haven't seen before. The varieties are seemingly endless when it comes to collecting in this game, a fairly good amount of guns for a single player game, all with special ammunition types and upgrades, then you have the plasmids, the tonics, the extra upgrades from ADAM, crafting, hacking, researching. and of course little sisters. Still some people claim that the gameplay is monotone and is only shooting stuff, well my friend that is because you play on too low difficulty. On higher difficulties you really gotta make a plan and use all resources you can find in order to succeeded. There are amazing gameplay mechanisms out there in Rapture: applying sticky mines to objects (corpses, even explosives barrels) then using telekinesis to throw em onto beefy enemies; setting up huge traps to big daddies paths with the crossbow for instance; camouflage, security bullseye and enrage are art to themselves and the list goes on. But i do give a point to people saying gameplay is still not the main thing making the game, it is arguably the story and the characters. The story as it is is absurd yet really captures one's imagination. But the characters are easily the best one's ever in any video game. The insanity is so well represented, it's literally art. The audio logs are amazing idea, the character development gives you exactly as much inside at a time as you need to have dozes of unique personalities expand before your own eyes.
    To sum up this is one of the very few games in the 21th century where i actually think that the credit list is reasonably long, and you can tell everyone was paying a lot of attention creating this piece of art.
  63. Jul 29, 2014
    This game is most likely the best best story driven game made mainstream, whose shooting mechanics are little more than a tool to advance the story, the main star of the game.
    Setting, music, ambiance, background art style, pacing, cast. all of these attributes are far more important than the action that takes place in the game.
    Far from it seeing as how the action drives all of these
    key components along at a great pace. You could look up online the perfect builds and upgrades that make even the toughest sections a cake-walk, but in doing so you would rob yourself of one of the best interactive "novels" in gaming history.
    Every cast member, good bad, grey area, even the name-less splicers and long dead apparitions have a story to tell if your patient enough to listen and find it.
    adding to this are "diaries", lost recordings scattered throughout that clue you into what brought about the disaster and chaos you are attempting to undo.
    My only complaint is that at the last moment(or so it goes in story) the publishers(suits) stepped in and forced Ken Levine's hand in changing the outcome of the story to make it more "player" friendly. I would have very much liked that not to be the case
  64. Aug 15, 2014
    Amazing. Great RPG elements. Scavenging for supplies, and you're heart will be beating when coming across a big daddy and not having enough ammunition. Awesome feature when harvesting the little girls because the game puts you in a situation where you need to survive.
  65. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  66. Aug 20, 2014
    This is a great game, good graphics, gameplay, and a very compelling storyline.
    The only thing/flaw i find is that most of the upper level difficulties do not change much. In other words the game difficulties are too easy or not hard enough. Everything else is great about the game.
  67. Aug 26, 2014
    Bioshock is terrifying but it making you scared and on the edge makes you scared nearly all the time. The game looks good even for it's 7 year old age. The bad guys a insane and the world is dark. However, my favorite part of the game is the story it's gripping it makes you want to play it for hours until you realize it's 3 in the morning. If I was to say some bad things about is that you can't use plasmids and weapons at the same time you have to switch between them making combat feel more difficult than it really is. Also there are some missions in the game that requires you to scavenge and it's very frustrating if your not an adventurer. The last thing I don't like about the game is the main character he only speaks in in the opening cut scene and never again your character only has a small piece of personality depending on your ending. But other than that the game is amazing the chances are that on steam you can get all three of the bioshock trilogy in 1 in the sale and I can easily recommend it for full price. Expand
  68. Aug 27, 2014
    Even im not a huge fan of shooters, this game make me stick with it until the end.The game has a gret story with a lot of morale values.The strongest point in this a game is his underwater city(Rapture).
  69. Sep 12, 2014
    Some glitches with Windows 8 (yes it's old) but once fixed I could enjoy it though a bit late, good graphics for the time, beautiful scenery like Arcadia, the only problem I have is that it's still very hard to me even on medium difficulty setting, I do lose lives so often!
  70. Sep 19, 2014
    Bioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must be experienced. Now, would you kindly go play it? Expand
  71. Sep 17, 2014
    Great gameplay, immersive setting, a rather haunting story and the rather frequent jumpscares. My favorite game of all time. Now, if you haven't played the game, would you kindly go do so?
  72. TvH
    Sep 29, 2014
    The gameplay is perfect, the atmosphere is claustrophobic and grounded, and the story is brilliant,
    Bioshock is a frightening first-person shooter that questions our human ideologies, with an entirely fictional world that not only scares us, but makes us want to revisit it more often.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.