8.4

1. DavidM.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Essentially an overrated and glitchy remake of System Shock 2. It has some pretty graphics, where they work, but it is very linear, has little atmosphere and feels clunky to play.
  2. Rob
    Aug 23, 2007
    Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for the game in order to enjoy the game. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess youI bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  4. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  5. PhilH.
    Nov 11, 2007
    The console version might be all well and good, because it's practically unique for an X360 title, but on the PC Bioshock is relatively poor. Combat is slow and boring and the RPG elements are almost non-existent, so all you get is basically a very poor FPS dripping with pretension. The much vaunted characters and story are also a serious disappointment.
  6. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant. I forced

I forced myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  7. SergeyS
    Jan 31, 2010
    Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary fire modes, weapons are primitive (gun, shotgun, tommygun - how original is that?) Money and items make a weak attempt at an RPG-shooter but fail completely. You don't even have a normal inventory. Switchin bullet types is too micromanagerial. This game does not know what it is or wants to be. And mouselook is terrible. I played tons of shootes, I played Q3 and CS competitively, and I have never been so frustrated by such unnatural aiming etc. Overall - 5/10. But for making big fuss about it - 2/10. Expand
  8. Franko
    Mar 29, 2008
    The most over-rated game i hav ever played!do yourself a favour and DONT BUY THIS,dont believe the hype and reviewer comments! this game is repetive,terrible story,only like 3 types of enemy! there is nothing good about this bar the graphics.
  9. biosux
    Nov 19, 2007
    1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading 1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure on the 360 this game feels a lot better but on PC it's a pale imitation of it's spiritual predecessor (system shock 2). It doesn't even work ergonomically, it's got useless controls and when it's not crashing the gameplay is actually very poor. See edges or gamecritics review for the real skinny on this 'game'. Avoid like the plague or at least try on rental,.. oh hey that's exactly what you do when you BUY the PC version because the DRM means you get a few installs and that's it, even with it's revoke tool, it doesn't work so you basically won't get to install it much every time you reformat, which thankfully you won't want to anyway because the game is that dull. A damp squib in the firework box of PC gaming and one best killed off before it's legacy comes to represent the 'best' of what gaming has to offer. Expand
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  11. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  12. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good

Cons:

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  13. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  14. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  15. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  16. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from beingFrom the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a consoleBioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  18. TimI.
    Oct 5, 2007
    It's been a wide commercial campaign to miss this glamour game, but from the first moments it dssapointed me: meaningless, linear and all the same. Huinya, I think.
  19. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  20. UndyingZombie
    Feb 5, 2009
    I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with most games ) but also failed to deliver what the devs have claimed it would. The blood looked like raspberry jam/jelly. Watered down gameplay, and graphics. ( Some visuals where nice, however it was still a bit watered down. ) When the game was first out, if you died, no matter what difficulty.. there was really no penalty.. you came back and you can finish off what ever you where fighting to begin with. Granted even then unless you are new to fps games, that did not happen often even on highest difficulty. ( Granted, supposedly they came out with a patch allowing the player to turn this "feature" off...too little, too late in my opinion. ) Now, some of my complaints from here on out are due to, well.. I had followed this game since the first bit of information was released. Back when it was PC only, and there was going to be plasmids and other things that would allow you to change the pressure of the area and various other things. Lots of things where cut out when they decided to make it also for the consoles. ( When that idea was hatched, it was going to be released on PC,Xbox360, and PS3 at the same time. ) Later, it turned into a "xbox360 exclusive" ( Meaning, Xbox360 and PC but PC being more of a port than it being fully made on it. ) I have to be honest, this really felt like the game was "dumbed" down considerably. Especially considering what the devs had stated early on before the change to make the game for consoles as well. Yea it does sound like I am bashing it, and yes I kinda am. It did have its good parts, but I have to say it. It does not deserve the praise it has gotten. Its a ok game, but not a great one. If you don't care about money, and you don't care about installing SecuROM on your system, ( Your better off getting this for the console(s) FYI ) then I would say go ahead and buy it. However most people care about the money, and the majority of the people who know about SecuROM and what it is.. stay away from it. I would just advice you guys to rent it for the console(s) if you have one of the console(s) that this game is on. Expand
  21. {DvT}Hex
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in order to get rid of SecuRom. Expand
  22. JoshuaMarks
    Nov 17, 2007
    When i first played it i thought maybe it will get better, but it didn't. i swear i must have been playing a different game to everyone who gave it above a 4. it was just like your average FPS. It does not even have online capabilities, so compared to games like COD4 and even the only Unreal games its not worth playing at all.
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that wasdont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  24. MZ
    Sep 12, 2007
    The only good thing about this game are the graphics. Other than that, there isnt even 24 hours of gameplay, the storyline is almost non-existant and there is no replay value what-so-ever. Borrow it from someone who already bought it rather than shelling out your own money.
  25. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  26. SebastianJ.
    Jul 6, 2008
    This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is wobblier than an octogenarian. The splicers were awkward to fight and endlessly repetetive, all the characters (with whom we were supposed to relate) look like plastic, and for a purported RPG, this game has almost no genuine customisation options; I've never seen a worse case of consollitis. The degree of cooing praise for this game makes me sick. The 2 points are for the well-executed ripping off of Fountainhead/AS, and for the hard work 2K's art department wasted on this atrocious shadow of System Shock 2's glory. Expand
  27. AnonM.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Totally agree with most of the rest low voters. just hated it. I expected too much I guess since this game is annoyingly overrated. critics and players should be more careful in their reviews to avoid causing great expectations.
  28. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game.

I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  29. CODYLANDES
    Sep 14, 2007
    i hate this game it is not as good as halo by a longshot i hate the game the story line is short i got this game last week and i have beaten it twice it is to easy who ever likes this game is werid i hate it halo is better bioshock does not deserve first place halo does and it will be once it comes out halo actully makes sence and it i boring and it sucks
  30. D.S.
    Oct 23, 2007
    It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i had so much cash for ammo from hacking damn near everything i saw, which became painfully repetitive very quickly. The big dadies are a joke after the first few levels, and AI is piss poor. There isn't any gameplay choices that actually effect how you play or what you will experience in game besides a different set of voice overs here and there- i was marketed to that this was certainly not the case- that bioshock was groundbreaking in this regard. A large part of the second half of the game feels like it belongs somewhere else. The atmosphere was among the best of any game ever released- but they let it go to waste on a very ordinary set of game mechanics and an extremely anti climatic finale... buy it if you like being dissapointed. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.