8.4

1. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepestIt is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2010
    I'm glad I bought this for only $5 on Steam. Any more than that and I would have felt ripped off. Great graphics, theme, setting and all but the game was just too repetitive and boring. It reminded me of an old arcade game but with a bit more depth added to it. Lame puzzles, the same enemies over and over, linear etc...

Meh...
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare, little more than a watered-down (pun intended) System Shock 2, a visually outstanding but with an all too familiar story (Atlas is Polito, Fontaine is Shodan) and gameplay (security stations, turrets, cameras, Vita Chambers Quantum Bio Reconstruction Machines, etc.) overrated and over-hyped, but a decent shooter; nothing more.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Okay, first off, I'm starting with what some reviewers say of BioShock: It's an AWFULLY bad copy of an older game; System Shock 2.
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Now, if I'm right, BioShock was an attempt to "Modernize" System Shock 2's formula, and they've done it quite well: The story is simply System Shock 2's story with another paint on it, they created a quite creepy atmosphere, they have GREAT artwork, sublime voiceacting, and much better gunplay, but they missed the key element:
    The RPG mechanics are gone...
    The RPG mechanics were what made System Shock 2 so good for replaying, and its what BioShock lacks.

But, now I've got that out of the way, for the actual review:
    BioShock is a FPS with a twist; genetic abilities. With that mean, you can go all Dark Side on your enemies by shooting lightning out of your hands. See what I'm getting at?

Graphically, the graphics were great for when it released: Beautiful water effects, among them. But, I don't care about graphics, so no further comment there.

Gameplay wise, the game is cool:
    You get some nice "Tools" to play with, and quite some genetic powers to toy with, so you'll be in for a treat. Each weapon can be modified. I'm saying this becaus it mostly has pretty outcomes for your guns.
    Now, besides fine gunplay, the gameplay, is quite bad.
    Even on hard, the game is terribly easy, not punishing you for dying; only reviving you at some station.
    In System Shock 2(Sorry for this), you really lost money; something that could hurt you in the game(because money was used to hack stuff to, and repair things, etc..>).
    Also something that lacks gameplaywise, is some depth. No, there's nothing wrong with mindless shooters, I enjoy them a lot, but BioShock was not intended to be a mindless shooter, it was clearly intended as a game with deep gameplay. The thing that made System Shock 2 so great, besides a good story, was the incredibly deep gameplay, being able to replay the game multiple times, and get a quite different experience. BioShock doesn't have that.

Storywise, people who have played System Shock 2 will know it. I won't spoil anything, but it's great, and awesome. But, as with all stories; it'll be fresh for only one time.

Now, after you read this, dont assume that BioShock's a bad game. It's not. It is bad for what it had to live up to.
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as manyawesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of lightThe setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  8. May 17, 2011
    A towering achievement. The meticulous attention to detail, deep combat options, and extremely engaging setting make for an unforgettable experience. The people who give this game anything other than the positive review it deserves should probably go get stomped on by a Big Daddy for not realizing the beauty of this game.
  9. Jul 14, 2011
    I found Bioshock very entertaining to some point. They should've done way more with the amazing water effects they had, but I guess Bioshock 2 made up for that part.

After Fort Frolic, for me, the game fell apart and became boring, until the plot twist of course. But after Sander Cohen's part, the game became extremely repetitive and boring, even when playing on hardest difficulty.
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  11. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars

06/06/13

Fun factor :

Control and gameplay:

I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  12. Dec 22, 2012
    To all people complaining about Vita-chamber and the game being easy: YOU CAN DISABLE VITA-CHAMBERS IN THE OPTIONS MENU, also YOU HAVE 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  14. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  16. Jun 22, 2013
    The beginning ist really great: atmosfere, the background, philosophy. But after 2-3 hours the game becomes average and you begin to see the weak sides of this game: you are immortal, bad controlling, few enemies, childish dialogues. there are much better shooter out there
  17. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a 'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  18. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  19. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphicsOne of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphics are awesome, the style is unique, the game-play is extremely well balanced and paced between shooting, narrative and other activities like exploration and growing your character. The A.I is some of the best I have ever seen. But most importantly of all for me, is the way you can play the game however you want to. If you like to get in people faces with the shotgun and melee weapon you can do that, or you can stick with rapid fire weapons and high explosives, set traps, go stealthy, use the myriad of plasmids etc. Its just a fantastic and game and so spooky to boot. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite all time video games. If you like intelligent shooters then this is a must play video game. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2011
    Fascinating story line, interesting take on skill selection, and in-depth social commentary make this a great game. I play games for the stories, and I was quite entranced by this one. The graphics were also incredible.
  21. Jul 13, 2011
    This is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative andThis is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative and aid your combat very efficiently especially in harder difficulties. The gun aren't anything special, but they're much more fun once you've upgraded them. My personal favourite weapon is the fully upgraded shotgun; just going round blasting splicers heads off. One bad thing about the game is how its main mascot, (the bouncer big daddy) is only your enemy twice, in the medical pavilion, and in the big daddy training grounds. all the other times it comes as the less scary, "elite" version. A final bad hing about the game is how it is fairly short, it takes about 5-7 hours to complete.. Overall, the game is amazing, it never gets boring, I've completed it 5 times. once on survivor, thrice on medium, and once in easy. you won't regret buying it, i didn't. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2011
    This is amazing game. Very good Shooter + Nice RPG + Very Very amazing and addictive story = My favorite game :) All in this game is perfect. Sounds, models, weapons, locations..... Really all. I love this and advice You.
  23. Oct 12, 2011
    Just amazing! Quite possibly the best game i have ever played. Everything from the sounds and environment to the combat and story was stunningly well done. If you are in doubt, buy it.
  24. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance toThe developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic toThe only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  27. Jan 13, 2014
    I don't like it. At first i thought i would enjoy this game but i barely finished it.

It have nice setting (something like 50s city on the floor of the ocean,really really cool) but its still just a zombie corridor (doom like) shooter with lots of backtracking. Shooting mechanics are also bad. Wasn't impressed with the story either. Too few enemy types.
  28. Dec 22, 2012
    It's System Shock, but it's wearing clown makeup and it borrowed the gun mechanics of Serious Sam.

I understand why people like this game. But to me is seems like a bit of a goofy mess. The setting and enemies are hard to take seriously if you think about it for 30 seconds, which makes being scared or creeped out almost impossible. Rather than being visceral as one would expect from horror game most of the combat feels like it's lifted from an arcade shooter. The Ayn Rand philosophy that pervades the story is pretty anvilicious. Sometimes I think it's a parody of games that try to shoehorn in "deep" subtext. Most of the time I think it's just an egregious example of pretentious twaddle. The story is mostly dull and forgettable. I literally can't think of a single characters name at this time or remember a single thing about them or what they did.

About the only thing I really liked about it was the twist that explains all the things your character does that make no sense. I'm trying to avoid a spoiler here but my point is there's a bit of story near the end that works as part of the narrative, AND gets weirdly meta. It's glorious. I suppose the graphics deserve mention too. They were obviously a labor of love. They are detailed and at time haunting. I find the cartoonish character style absolutely horrid however.

I wanted to love this game, but even though Rapture is buried deep beneath the waves Bioshock is disappointingly shallow. I guess if you're young and never played the games this is a "spiritual successor" to you might find some value in it. But if your a fan of Looking Glass Studios type of game this will seem like a dull echo of their greatness.

I gave this game a 6 because it obviously has high production values. But overall it basically defines average. There wasn't really anything new here. Every good mechanic was borrowed from previous work in the field.
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    I played for 4 hours and stopped playing. I'm not a big fan of FPS but I loved Bioshock Infinite so I wanted to try this one. Big disappointment.

There is no atmosphere or charm whatsoever, it starts out like a survival horror, and I liked that, but that feeling goes away very quickly. Then it feels like a grey post apocalyptic world that I've seen many times in other games. The city of Rapture is boring. The lack of music also brings down the atmosphere.

The plot is intriguing, and I wanted to know more about what the hell happened, but the characters are just so dull, I never felt any emotional connection to anyone. The character you play doesn't speak, it's like I'm controlling a robot or something, so I just don't care about him, I don't even know his name.

The graphics are nice, with plenty of detail, but everything is so grey that it doesn't matter.

Also this game doesn't like Windows 7 64 bits, I had plenty of problems before I could play this game decently.

Gameplay is ok, you have many weapons and plasmids, and you shoot people. But the enemies repeat a lot, and they aren't that much fun to fight. The hacking minigames are pointless and annoying, the upgrades and rpg elements are not very interesting.

So I guess I was entertained for 2 hours, and the other two hours I was expecting it would get better... it didn't
  30. May 11, 2013
    Maybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literallyMaybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literally impossible (as they allow no path) unless you have an item. The storytelling and it's method appreciated, and the details in the music/fx are stellar, but that's all the compliments I can honestly give this game. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.