Bit.Trip Runner PC

6.3

1. Dec 13, 2011
    The game wasn't even on my radar before I picked it up in the Humble Indie Bundle, and when I loaded it up and played the first level, I was immediately excited. The visual design of the game, as well as bouncy platform that synced up nicely with bouncy, happy 8-bit inspired beats instantly warmed my heart. However, the game did not waste its time becoming a frustrating experience. IThe game wasn't even on my radar before I picked it up in the Humble Indie Bundle, and when I loaded it up and played the first level, I was immediately excited. The visual design of the game, as well as bouncy platform that synced up nicely with bouncy, happy 8-bit inspired beats instantly warmed my heart. However, the game did not waste its time becoming a frustrating experience. I didn't even get out of the first zone before I turned the game off with a sigh. Imagine playing a rhythm game like guitar hero, but every time you missed a note, you had to start the entire song over again. If they were to take another stab at this idea, but fix a couple of the more frustrating set pieces (e.g., stairs are a HUGE pain) and perhaps add a rewind mechanic so that the cost of mistakes was not so high, then the fun would not be quite so outweighed by the frustration. I have continued to play this game, but I play it in short bursts, usually quitting when my teeth start to grind. Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    I really liked this game at first--having already played Bit.Trip Beat--and found it pretty enjoyable for awhile. However, it rather quickly becomes pretty difficult, and since it makes you completely restart a level after every mistake, it can become massively frustrating. In the end I think its still worth playing if you can find it cheap ($5 on Steam sale isn't a bad deal for a coupleI really liked this game at first--having already played Bit.Trip Beat--and found it pretty enjoyable for awhile. However, it rather quickly becomes pretty difficult, and since it makes you completely restart a level after every mistake, it can become massively frustrating. In the end I think its still worth playing if you can find it cheap ($5 on Steam sale isn't a bad deal for a couple hours of fun). Expand
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    At first it's frustrating. Some hours will pass and it becomes enjoyable, somehow. Then you realize that this offers limited gameplay, poor visuals, lousy sounds, and close to no fun. The controls are responsive, and the title song is enjoyable, but beyond that, there is nothing; like a phone game.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    Like its counterpart, the music is only as good as the player. Instead of a controller, you're pretty much playing a rhythm game on fingers like on your handheld devices. And there are some stages that feel impossible to 100% complete.
  5. Apr 26, 2012
    This game redembles a nice new take on the musicbased ganes and combines it with a retro style. It can be fun to play but you better prepare yourself to die often... very often. Good thing is that the game itself is designed for you to die: You will be set to the start. No Game Over scrren. No Overall Score. Nothing. Another problem this game has is, that you should react to the music butThis game redembles a nice new take on the musicbased ganes and combines it with a retro style. It can be fun to play but you better prepare yourself to die often... very often. Good thing is that the game itself is designed for you to die: You will be set to the start. No Game Over scrren. No Overall Score. Nothing. Another problem this game has is, that you should react to the music but in fact all you will do is rely on your visual and try to dodge all the obstacles this game throws at you. Most of the time you will make tiny Progress and try to learn through an Trial and Error method how the level is build. And that will make rage quite often. BUT the game can make fun if you are interested in a Platformer wicth insane difficulty. Expand
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    I understand the enjoyment of difficult platformers, but this is all the difficulty of Super Meat Boy, with half the fun and twice the frustration. 2 minutes of mind-numbing running through the same level for the 3rd time, one slip of the thumb and you get to start all over again.
  7. May 9, 2013
    It looks good, it sounds good, but sometimes its just too much of a dick.
    It looks good, it sounds good, but sometimes its just too much of a dick.
    This is not the game for you if you don't have a really great memory, and good reflexes to go with it. My memory is good, but I struggle with this game. More precisely, with the boss, I just can't beat it. I can beat all stages leading up to it, but not the boss fight itself, he just tries to catch you off guard all the time, and the slightest mess-up will make you fail the stage. Even on easy it seems impossible to beat him (at least for me), and I've tried so many times, so so many times, and then I just gave up and never wanted to see that game again. But up to that point, the game was fun, and challenging.
    The tunes are great, controls are solid (response time is great), it looks great, and it's challenging, all you can want pretty much. Just the boss bit..yeah..ruins everything for me.
    I do recommend it, but with a warning of "Do not expect to complete".
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    Although this game was considerably better than BIT.TRIP.BEAT; it is unfortunately one of the most frustrating games you will ever play! If you love a challenge though, this is definitely the game for you! For the most part I did enjoy playing the game but regrettably I don’t have a strong threshold for rhythmic based precision games and being sent to the beginning of the level fifty timesAlthough this game was considerably better than BIT.TRIP.BEAT; it is unfortunately one of the most frustrating games you will ever play! If you love a challenge though, this is definitely the game for you! For the most part I did enjoy playing the game but regrettably I don’t have a strong threshold for rhythmic based precision games and being sent to the beginning of the level fifty times over just tired me out! I feel this game was generally a good one and will surely challenge pretty much everybody, but it’s really a one off arcade style experience! Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2014
    BIT.TRIP Runner share a good idea, but ultimately it's still a pretty repetitive game, which hurts the eyes to strength, and you will get tired quickly. Despite this, the sounds are pretty good, just what catches the game's history Runner is hard enough to understand, we wonder just what is the meaning of this game ^^
  10. Jun 10, 2014
    Otro plataformas musical bastante loco y pixelado. Todo un reto para la habilidad que a veces es demasiado exigente y lleva al abandono. Para comprar en super rebajas.
  11. Apr 15, 2017
    It's some kind of game, what you have to learn. Step by step. Memorization of level is very important. But it give us a lot of satisfaction. Sometime become really frustrating.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Mar 21, 2011
    Bit.Trip Runner is glorious to behold and hear, but when it comes time to play it is often a frustrating experience.