7.5

1. Apr 15, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is an amazingly well made free-to-play shooter game. Controls are solid, player builds are very well balanced, pace is fast and exciting, maps are varied and interesting. Customization is deep and complex and very satisfying. Gaining experience points in matches to level up and unlock more gear is also very satisfying. This is an excellent game overall!
  2. Sep 9, 2012
    I've read several low reviews on the site that I believe this game does not deserve due to ignorance and laziness. I'm going to try and give my opinion. Anyone that beats on this game for its "p2w" status has obviously not played it long enough, or is blatantly lazy and demands that everything be handed to "it" on a silver platter. This is my view. I have not spent a single penny on Blacklight Retribution. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>The graphics are pretty good, the environments are colorful, and its cyberpunk theme is presented very nicely. However, if you're looking for BF3 level graphics, go play BF3. It's a shooter. If you're too busy staring at the wall textures, then you should really be doing something else.--------------------------------------------------------------------------->>Many people have also hit on this game on its "complexity", stating that it has too many elements, the gun customization is too complicated, the tutorial is too complicated, HRV is too complicated. They are all impatient idiots who are all unwilling to just sit down for a few minutes and learn. The system is not hard. It just requires some getting used to. If you want a simpler game, go and play some **** generic Korean FPS like Combat Arms. -------------------------------------------------------->>The cash shop/paying IRL is another thing I've been seeing as a complaint here. It is also one of the biggest parts of an F2P game. As such, this section will be the longest. Let me get this straight: --The ONLY things that are only obtainable in BL:R via money only are heroes, cosmetic items, taunts, a few profile customization options, and a COUPLE gun receivers. That is it. Everything else, and I mean everything (every single gun part, every single piece of armor, every single piece of equipment) is obtainable permanently by just playing the game. ---------------------------------------------------``Premade weapons(only permable by zen) can be obtained by gp for a very low daily price-200gp. That's about 1.5 matches, which will take a MAXIMUM of 15 minutes. That's a hell of a lot better than other F2P games. -----------------------``Just like other F2P FPS, you can earn Zen(in game money) by doing surveys or offers via the BL:R website. ---------``Items are unlocked on a per level basis. HOWEVER, every single time that you level up, you automatically get a free weapon tag as well as 1 of each item that has been unlocked for 3 DAYS. --``ALSO, People who think that you can only unlock weapons for 1 day with GP are illiterate, lazy, and do not follow the tutorial. In the purchase option, hit the little arrow next to "1 day", and choose a period of time. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------``Perming items is not that hard with GP. Your most expensive weapon part is a receiver at 5000 GP. At 150gp a game, that's only about 30-40 matches. Those that whine and complain about the game being a "grind for gp" need to take the immediate gratification/item needing dick out of their ass and go back to COD. The game is fun, even with the standard equipment. Need proof that standard equipment isn't pure **** and is actually viable? Go search "z3roarmada" on Youtube. >>Next, the gameplay. BL:R has a mechanic called HRV, in which you can see the location of every single player, depot, vehicle, and objective on the map for a limited time, with a set recharge. "AHMAHGAWD THAT'S OP" It's not if everyone can do it. With that added mechanic, situational awareness is key, and ambushes are nigh impossible. Many players are unused to this and throw their anger in the form of a bad score. The gameplay is straightforward and recognizable, with your typical DM, TDM, CTF, and KOTH, and escort. It also has Kill Confirmed (a spin off of TDM), as well as Netwar and Domination(similar to KOTH). ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>One last thing. The customization in this game is amazing. The guns(all of them) you use(as long as they're not premade) can be customized with a unique receiver, muzzle, barrel, magazine, stock, scope, weapon tag, as well as a skin. Fun-wise, I think that this game is one of the best that I've played, especially for the price of free. I have dumped a few weeks on this game, and it has not bored me yet. This overview, while definitely not the best, covers what I think should help clear some things up. Damn Metacritic and its lack of allowing me to organize my wall of text. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2012
    Game is a cheap remake of a game which failed as an "Arcade price" game(Tango Down) Like tango down, the maps are terrible, the graphics are terrible, the guns feel fake, the gameplay feels fake.

The game is INCREDIBLY biased; For example, if you put money towards the game, you can get hugely unfair advantages like being pretty much invincible having a much more powerful gun; Stuff
    which you can't get from just playing the game.

There are MUCH better F2P FPS games out there, To list a few that are TONS better than this:

Team Fortress 2-Probably the best FPS ever made, For free
    Battlefield Play4Free-Battlefield 2, another one of the best FPS games ever made-For free
    Warface-This one is especially good! Battlefield 3 standard!

Don't ever play this, any other good reviews are people who have clearly never played the games I listed above
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    Payed $10 for the game and stupidly activated the limited time XP booster. At the time of writing the games servers have been almost completely unavailable for over 6 hours. I would suggest against buying this game until the server issue has been sorted out.
  5. Feb 11, 2013
    The score is to counter the false 10-point reviews, reality is this game rates around 5 out of 10 after a few of the recent patches. First rule of this game: NEVER PUT MONEY INTO THIS GAME. The devs do not deserve the money and it doesn't get you much, the F2P game model needs to die off because it's bad business. Now to the game. The game used to be fun and almost balanced, then the update that 'fixed' the HRV issue ruined the game and made it much slower. I quit more than a few months ago but kept tabs on the game, and the devs are just ham-handed with their patches. Every patch adds more bugs than it fixes, and game balance is totally ruined now. This is the first time I saw a good game get ruined by patching. Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2012
    The worst Free to Play game i ever played. Firstly you need to wait ~1 hour to join the main server. In this game you can see through the walls=wallhack. When i saw this i instantly deleted the game. Absolutely 0 score and the fps gamers no need wallhack any other fps games.
  7. Jul 3, 2012
    Because of built-in map hack, cheap snipers everywhere. So many Pay-to-Win stuff. Aim-bots already on sale. The only good thing I can find is the graphics. Enough said.
  8. Jul 3, 2012
    For me few things make this game average:
    1. Everyone has ability to see through walls. That's a standard option, everybody has "googles" allowing to see other players (enemies and allies) through walls. That is sick, reducing usefulness of any tactical gameplay to zero.
    2. Dumb-looking, pseudo-modern design of many parts of equipment (especially player's models).
    3. Barely moderate
    satisfaction from the basic activity in the game: SHOOTING. Can't name this feeling, but shooting in CS or any Unreal is much more satisfying and in these games I feel I have MUCH more control over the actions of my character.

Nevertheless Blacklight: Retribution is not bad game, slightly above the average I would say. If you like network shooters - try it, all in all it's free.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a f2p shooter done right. The guns and armor are nicely balanced. I played blacklight tango but GFWL really killed it. This time they got rid of that junk and it is a lot better. There are many modes to play, such as KOTH, TDM, DM, and CTF. There is so many ways you can customize your weapon, gear, and outfit. There is also some nice novelty taunts in the game as well. Really give this game a shot :D Expand
  10. Apr 8, 2012
    This game is great. All the guns feel very satisfying to shoot, and the amount of customization is just astonishing. The maps feel well designed, and provide ample sightlines for snipers and narrow corridors for SMG/Rifle combat. The only ding against this game is that you are almost required to use real world money for new guns as the EXP takes FOREVER to earn. That game is very fun, and I recommend it to any FPS fan. Expand
  11. Apr 7, 2012
    I find this game to be one of the best MMOFPS (massively miltiplayer online first person shooter) games i have ever played. I'm going to start with the maps. Most of the maps are small to medium size. And by small i don't mean tiny, i mean just close quarters. Kind of like the Call of Duty MW3 map "Dome" Just the right size to still be fun. But for all your long-range lovers, don't worry, there are still some pretty large maps, and a few great ones for sniping. Now i'm going to transition to the guns. You can literally customize every aspect about your gun. You can customize receiver (assault rifle, sub machine gun, light machine gun, heavy assault rifle, combat rifle, and bolt action rifle), muzzle, barrel, magazine, scope, stock, weapon tag (little charm on your gun that gives it bonuses), and camo. And for each of the categories there is usually 10+ options to choose from. Now for the armor. The armor is very easy to customize, with around 5-6 options for either upper body, helmet, lower body, or camo. Then there's depot items. These are special items that you can buy with points you earn throughout the game (kind of like COD kill streaks but not really). All together its a really fun game, and its free! Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2012
    Surprisingly fair game for both people spending money and true F2P people. Right now it has somewhat limited maps/gametypes, but more are on the way. Gameplay is fun, you can customize to your style (speed vs armor), fully customizable weapons, choice of gear, etc. Good graphics, most people are friendly (certainly moreso than most FPS). XP comes quickly until in levels in the 20s, and a few hours can earn you enough points to get permanent gear without spending money. Expand
  13. Apr 15, 2012
    This is the best free-to-play FPS ever made. Surely better than Team Fortress 2 after it was made free-to-play. Here's why.

Of course, the first concern for anyone interested in the free-to-play model is, can free users still play competitively. The answer is a resounding yes. The balance in game mechanics is incredible, and the developers are working very hard to tweak everything
    perfectly. Free users are in no way at a disadvantage. There are a large variety of play-styles that are possible, and each one feels well balanced and fun. Games are played up to 16 players at a time, in 10-minute matches ranging the traditional gamut of gametypes: capture the flag, king of the hill, deathmatch, team deathmatch, domination (holding control points), with a few more yet to come.

Map design is top notch. All the maps are very well balanced, and very fun, each one incorporating a good variety of close-range and long-range combat options. The two unique game mechanics in this game are 1) the power to temporarily see through walls and identify where all your opponents are for a few seconds, and 2) the ability to summon a mech to jump inside once you've gotten enough points in a match. Both of these features add a healthy variety to the gameplay and set this game apart from other FPSs. The see-through-walls feature significantly increases the importance of team tactics to achieve objectives.

The player customization is very extensive. Gun parts can be customized down to every last detail. A delightful leveling system assures that there is always another piece of equipment you're eyeing to unlock. Unlocking all the parts can take many hours of playtime, however. But none of the upgrades are overpowered or game-ruining. They all confer slight benefits and they all come with trade-offs to other stats. (Stronger armor will make you run slower, a more accurate gun will do less damage, etc.)

Overall, this game is very polished, and it's incredibly refreshing to see a free to play FPS that isn't a circus. And content will continue to be released! The developers are working very hard and they're intimately connected with the community via the official forums. So even though this is free to play, I'm more than willing to shell out some cash.
  14. Jul 19, 2012
    The problem I find with pay-to-win games is the model. Now, I get the fact that these guys have to pay for servers, staff, and licensing of the Unreal engine, and for this reason I can see myself paying approximately $20 to 40$ for a game, even if p-2-w. But if I pay between 20$ and 40$ I expect to get premium value. But with Blacklight, this is not the case. 20$ dollars gets you the few items that you think are top-class, but as you find out very quickly, turns out to be spectacularly bad and overpriced investments. Now, it is true that you can accumulate ingame cash for playing, but the problem here is that you can only rent the items for a day or seven days at an affordable price. The prices to actually have the item forever, unlike other online shooters like Tribes: Ascend, is ridiculous. Meaning that it will take approximately 100 games to own the cheapest clip for your pistol - and as you get several guns, several mods for guns (clips, stock and barrels) and several pieces of armor for about every part of your body, your 'blood-and-sweat' new pistol clip just makes you end up looking like a right tool.

However, the setting, atmosphere and sound is quite good and has a decent cyberpunk feel. The game also uses the Unreal engine, meaning that the gameplay and mechanics are quite solid. The matchmaking is however pretty much the same of most online shooters. You cant spectate in the middle of a match so as to wait for an open spot. No, you must either have perfect timing, look for an open spot on a server without having the time to check the server's details (server map or type of mode (the details of which arent apparent on first glance), or waste your time by clicking on the broken 'auto-join' button. Basically, in the end, you are stuck having to sift through servers finding an open spot. When you do eventually get an open spot in a server, odds are you are stuck on a server which is the same map, all the day, every day.

If you dont want to shell out atleast 100$ for playing a game properly, dont bother.
  15. Jul 25, 2012
    What Blacklight Retribution does right is the amount of customization on your load-out and the ability to customize your character, however that's where it all falls down a cliff. It probably takes around a full day of play to get the exp needed to unlock a single accessory for a gun (of which there are douzens). I get they want to make money with this game, and I'm also a type of person that's willing to pay, but in order for me to get a decent build I could 2 to 4 full A- rated games on Steam. So you're being faced with two equally unattractive propositions. Though I'm an experienced MMO player and I can deal with grind just fine, however, I cannot deal with clunky mechanics that feel wooden if not rusted. Being able to see through walls isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, it just makes you think twice if you're trying a stealth move. Just that once you try to shoot that person you saw, it gives zero satisfaction, they don't feel like guns and don't sound like guns. The aforementioned attachments you can unlock do offer noticeable differences and you can adjust them to your style, it doesn't make up for the lack of feel. Though the very worst that with an i7 3770k and a GTX690 I was getting pretty bad frame drops (down to 20's), which is probably just a compatibility issue, but that doesn't make it excusable or less preposterous. It being free and so customizable are its only redeeming factors, despite all the negative reviews I decided to still give it a try, and I encourage you to do the same. I however was deeply dissapointed. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2012
    More than half of the reviews scoring this game a 10 are blatant advertising by the developers. This is an unpolished mediocre game that will never be out of the beta stage. Designed from the ground up to encourage you to spend money to purchase "Zen" so you can rent equipment upgrades for less than a week at a time. Attempts to actually "earn" your equipment is a boring chore and grind.
  17. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a joke riddled with glitches and bugs. Every time they patch the game, they introduce a plethora of new glitches while dubiously fixing old bugs. Avoid this junk.
  18. Aug 18, 2012
    Riddled with bugs and glitches. Every time they update the game, they add more bugs. Not worth anyone's time to play this waste of space. Uninstalled.
  19. May 25, 2012
    This game is TOTALLY worth the money... ok lame joke out of the way. It is really good. There are some great user reviews here so I am not going to really go all out, just want to say a few things: 1. Look and feel of the game are great. Great use of the Unreal Engine. 2. Customization is awesome and meaningful. Lots of it. Starts to feel like an MMO or RPG with how much customization there is to character and weapon stats. 3. Free vs Pay player system is balanced very very well. My one complaint really: You are FORCED to buy more load-out slots. You can't use in game points to get more load out options. I think this is the only "chumpish" aspect of the pay system. Pretty upset about that feature. Solid game, and I recommend every fan of FPS at least give it a look. It can't hurt as it is free, might as well. Expand
  20. Apr 23, 2012
    This is a game i LOVE the most out of any FPS. You can see through walls by pressing Ë
  21. Jul 6, 2012
    The game is great, i love the idea of it being free and also the ability to buy and support the developers to unlock items early. You can also unlock and buy the items by just playing and buying them with GP which in my opinion is also balanced well, what ruins this game is the Wall hack. The argument of it removing campers from the game is null, because wallhack camping in this game is a viable strategy, pick a safe spot on the map where you can only be attacked from 1 direction, cover and pop out using wallhack when needed and you will kill more then you die. The mechanic is silly, yes it's different and it is what the developers wanted.

Think about it for just one second before defending it blindly, everyone has a wallhack, you are instantly removing an entire module of skill in regards to positioning and intuition, this element of positioning is vital for a skilled player.
    The only skill you need in this game is decent aim, nothing else is required, you don't even need sound, you don't need to take into account positions of your team mates, and communication isn't really needed either. since you know where everyone is.

If they wanted to speed up game play to avoid camping, there is many ways to do this without using a global wallhack.

The wallhack evens out skill levels, hindering better players by giving all players the ability to see through walls. You are removing all intellectual aspects and decision making via this mechanic. You are just a mindless robot that locates an enemy through walls and then press the shoot button, the most lazy mindless shooter that rewards no risk reward.
  22. Aug 18, 2012
    i thought this game was fun at first but as i played it more i realized that it was very glitchy and full of bugs. the equipment is unbalanced and the guns dont even shoot half of the time and the other half of the time the guns shoot in random directions because they want you to spend money to buy upgrades to make the guns better. you can spend 3 days trying to earn points to rent a upgrade for 1 day or spend money to get it. do they think i'm a sucker? Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2012
    Zombie (developer) is incompetent. PWE (publisher, server hosting, etc) is even more incompetent. Zombie codes in a bug that generates extra experience points for any player that joins a buggy Seige-mode server. Publisher bans any account that joins said buggy server without warning or notice. Trying to play the game and have fun is like playing russian roulette with butt-hurt staffers wielding ban-hammers. Game is broken and staff is a bunch of immature children. Find a better game. Expand
  24. Oct 2, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is one of if not the best free to play game I have ever played. The amount of content in this game is amazing. Get pay to win out of your head when you think about this game. It is extremely balanced and insanely well put together.
  25. DME
    Jan 6, 2013
    Retribution is by no means revolutionary, but rather a solid competitive shooter, completely balanced and free to play. People crying "pay to win!" have no idea what they're talking about. The game is fast-paced, polished, and fun to play. However, Blacklight does suffer from one major problem. Patches to the game are ridiculously huge and take upwards of 10 hours to download. Worse yet, you can't pause the update in the middle of the process. Expand
  26. Jul 30, 2012
    BLR is one of the best F2P FPS games out there. Unlike most others, the system is not broken with pay-to-win shceme. 1 match of GP will give you enough to rent a decked out gun for a day, so you can use high level guns to earn money to customize your own gun. The gunplay feels tight, and no weapons really feel overpowered than others (Unless you have a low recoil/low spread LMG setup). Speaking of gun setups, its amazing to see all that stats that you can modify by choosing different attachments. Almost anything you can think of relating to your weapons or armor can be customized to your exact play style.

And the reason why I'm liking this game so much - The maps feel well thought out with plenty of alternate paths. With the exception of HeloDeck, the maps have a great mixture of places to snipe and places to get into a total **** of a gunfight. For a F2P game, nobody could have asked for more.
  27. Jul 9, 2012
    All I can say is that this game wows me every time. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's free to play and you really don't 'need' to pay for anything. I did pay for the starter pack since it was only ten bucks but ever since I haven't felt the need to pay for anything else. The game is astonishingly well made for a F2P game. No, not even just for a F2P. It's outright an amazing game. The graphics are excellent, the soundtrack is sweet, the gameplay is fluid, the audio is crisp, the menus are well designed, and just about every round is intense. Anyone who believes this game is a pay to win game is just a sore loser. Shelling out cash only gives you fancy skins, silly emotes, XP boosts, and lets you hang on to some items permanently. None of these things give you an edge on the battlefield. It only grants you the ability to personlize your soldier freely. It's rare that I feel the need to get online and recommend a game but this one does it for me. I am honestly sick of the MW series and really no FPS games have impressed me in a long while. To have spent so much time away from the FPS genre and to finaly come across Blacklight Retribution (and its free!) has been a breath of fresh air. Bugs are minor and I have no issues with the servers. Expand
  28. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great game and great concept... Building the guns from parts is really engaging and adds a lot to the normal Counterstrike model of gameplay. For instance, if you prefer you can build a gun that is purely a short-range "spray and pray" that doesn't require a lot of precision (my favorite) or you can build a slow-firing sniper rifle from similar parts for the same cost. I personally find the HRV (feature that lets you see through walls) to be a huge bonus as far as the speed and strategy of the matches; after all, everybody's got it. The maps are interesting and well laid out and the "F2P + cash extras" model is very well done; it's not intrusive to the game and the cash-bought items do not give you an advantage in each match; you can buy it all if you spend time playing. Bottom line: if you want a Counterstrike-style game with a few twists, it's worth the $0 to download it. Expand
  29. May 4, 2012
    Good for a free to play but still won't beat the games you buy. The fact that it has directx 11 while being a free to play game makes this game superior to other free games. They chose the right direction.
  30. Jul 11, 2012
    This is by FAR the greatest PC f2p fps game ever seen. The business model is very good (NOT pay-to-win). Graphics and game play are all top-notch. What else can be said? Try it for yourself.

If you are a PC-gamer that digs fps games, this is a mandatory evaluation for you!

1. Sep 16, 2012
    A more-than-capable shooter that is a blast to play. Shame about the pings. [Sept 2012, p.59]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Retribution is worth your time under one condition –you like online shooters, you don't get carried away with emotions and will treat this game as entertainment and not a fierce match to the death. Game mechanics is perfect, you can easily feel differences between weapons, even after a slight modification. The game uses Unreal Engine 3, is well optimized and looks nice, although the industrial style and sterile locations prevent you from being astonished. I'm not a hardcore shooter fan, so after a while – even with all the weapons and customization – I became bored. Retribution offers nothing new.
  3. Jul 30, 2012