3.9

1. ThomasI
    Jan 11, 2010
    This is impossible to do alone. It seems like Gearbox wasn't really even trying here. It's just a series of arena battles ala Unreal on the hardest difficulty setting. Each wave will punish you silly and the "wildcard" system will more than likely "randomly" assign a "gun wave" wild-cards like "dead aim" and "ironside" making you a sitting duck. I quit halfway through, tearing This is impossible to do alone. It seems like Gearbox wasn't really even trying here. It's just a series of arena battles ala Unreal on the hardest difficulty setting. Each wave will punish you silly and the "wildcard" system will more than likely "randomly" assign a "gun wave" wild-cards like "dead aim" and "ironside" making you a sitting duck. I quit halfway through, tearing my hair out. Expand
  2. RubenM.
    Jan 29, 2010
    Gearbox tried to create an exciting arena, but in my opinion they got a bad result, it is almost impossible to do it on your own, even playing with one friend is hard, furthermore you neither get loot nor experience. I just completed 2 of the 3 arenas at the beginning and i got quite dissapointed, it is always the same, the same guys, the same kind of waves, its boring, dull, and whatever Gearbox tried to create an exciting arena, but in my opinion they got a bad result, it is almost impossible to do it on your own, even playing with one friend is hard, furthermore you neither get loot nor experience. I just completed 2 of the 3 arenas at the beginning and i got quite dissapointed, it is always the same, the same guys, the same kind of waves, its boring, dull, and whatever you can imagine, except fun, not even a bit. I hope they do a better job with the third one. Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2010
    For me, this game is a much worse idea than it is a DLC. I played it with friends, and it was fun, but it got boring rather quickly. The gameplay itself isn't awful, (although I've heard that the balancing is so poor that it requires 3-4). It's repetitive, but the core gameplay is still itself fun, even if it quickly loses its flavor.

What is truly irritating about this DLC is that it is

What is truly irritating about this DLC is that it is so painfully lazy. Everything is recylced. The entire DLC is a small, uninteresting lobby, attached to three arena portals. Each session is initially 5 rounds consisting of 5 waves per round. Each wave has a defining theme; a defining theme that never changes in order or consistency from the first wave to whichever one finally drives the player away for good. The enemies are the same from the main game, XP is discounted so as to preclude the developers from making any actual new content, and no new items or weaponry debut either.

The DLC's narrative is a joke, and a bad one. Unlike the geniunely funny (if often uncompelling) story and atmosphere presented in the main game and the preceding DLC, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Moxxi's Underdome restricts it story to one or two cutscenes, leaving the gameplay to complete pointlessness. Moxxi's role is announcer, shouting the same lines to you and your team over and over during the fight. Despite being well-acted and sometimes funny, the lines quickly grow old as you hear them over and over.

One little "feature" is that they plop randomized status effects on the team each wave. This was probably the most interesting part of the whole DLC to me. That being said, nothing new was really added. Stats were toyed with, weapons and enemies got buffed or nerfed, and sometimes maybe even the gravity would change. It's the gameplay equivalent of flickering the lights. The game was TOUTED as having new "modes" like low gravity. But even when they actually get something approaching new content, I just couldn't get over the fact that they simply screwed with numbers. Any shmuck who wanted to could go into the game files and lower the gravity if he or she so pleased. For free. It's not new.

Each round ends with a "Boss Wave," wherin you fight a boss enemy surrounded by a handful of flunkies. My anticipation was crushed as quickly as it rose, as I soon realized that ALL of the bosses are directly copy and pasted from the main game into this "new" content. While the sidestepping of any form of continuity isn't bothersome, Borderlands doesn't take itself that seriously, the fact that EVERY chance at new content was caulked in by rehashed material just got to a point where I stopped feeling resigned and started feeling cheated.

The final straw was when my friends and I beat each three arenas. All 15 rounds, all 75 waves of the same crap. We excitedly hurried to our long-awaited new content. SURELY, something new and exciting must follow! But all we saw were three more arena portals of the same areas with the same enemies that we had already beaten! The only difference is that they changed it from five to TWENTY rounds. And we we're long since sick of five.

So basically this game is a disappointing casserole of old material, with a banking system and possible gravity tweak being the only truly new gameplay additions. And after you play the same thing over and over, they award you with the SAME IDENTICAL thing you just played, only FOUR TIMES LONGER. This goes beyond lazy and beyond disappointing. It feels like a scam. Although they have proven to be able to make great DLC, they actually made a DLC with almost no new content, repeated identical rehashings, and had the nerve to charge ten bucks for it. Again, if you're supremely bored and have 3 friends, Moxxi may be worth a whirl if you see it on sale. The gameplay itself isn't the issue if you can get past the mind-numbing repetition and lack of originality. The problem is how dissapointing and insulting the content or lacktherof actually is. To pass this DLC off as "new" content is false, and to push it on loyal consumers is dishonest. Buy the game, buy the other two DLCs, but for the love of God, do not waste your money on Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot. You've already played it.

4. Aug 12, 2010
    This is the opposite of fun. In fact, this DLC is work, grindy, grindy work. If I had wanted to play grindy games, I would play MMOs. Even more importantly, you hardly get rewarded for the time you put into the arenas which comprise 100% of this abysmal abortion of a game. What Borderlands did right in the first DLC and the original play through was give a sense of progression to anThis is the opposite of fun. In fact, this DLC is work, grindy, grindy work. If I had wanted to play grindy games, I would play MMOs. Even more importantly, you hardly get rewarded for the time you put into the arenas which comprise 100% of this abysmal abortion of a game. What Borderlands did right in the first DLC and the original play through was give a sense of progression to an otherwise storyless, somewhat dreary game. There is not a single aspect of progression, at all. No exp. No weapon level ups. No worthy gun upgrades. Honestly, skip this trash. It's **** awful. Expand
  5. Sep 1, 2012
    Totaly crap. You dont earn exp at all, you only get a few loot items at the end of a round... the only real reason to get it is for the bank and upgrades that are available to purchase. Stay away.
  6. D.S.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Everything an expansion should NOT be. A total, abysmal failure in all of its aspects; aspects which should not be metioned due to their non-existence. In short, a monotonous, rewardless and absolutely infuriating arena shooter with no reason to pick up even for free. Gearbox, when they made this abomination, should have at least taken into account that the multiplayer component on the PC Everything an expansion should NOT be. A total, abysmal failure in all of its aspects; aspects which should not be metioned due to their non-existence. In short, a monotonous, rewardless and absolutely infuriating arena shooter with no reason to pick up even for free. Gearbox, when they made this abomination, should have at least taken into account that the multiplayer component on the PC is broken, as this expansion REQUIRES 4 players to play, unless you're masochistic, of course. Expand
  7. MarcusR.
    Mar 2, 2010
    Possibly when the DLC is $3 or under it may be worth it, but until then it's a rage producer. Not necessarily because of the difficulty but because it's just so god awful!
  8. Oct 6, 2012
    This DLC is the exact opposite of what Borderlands is all about. Instead of unique environments, funny quests, leveling up, and lots of loot, Moxxi provides tedious arena combat for meager rewards. The matches are way too long. The random modifier system can result in stupidly hard situations. A score of 4 because it just isn't fun.
  9. mpr
    May 31, 2011
    Fun for 5 minutes, then it's just boring and annoying. They didn't even bother to add new monsters or even try to properly balance the game for single players... Neither worth my time nor money.
  10. May 10, 2012
    A good idea gone bad, unfortunately the arena combat highlights Borderlands major flaws such as: terrible AI, repetitiveness. Then, remove everything fun from the original by removing story, plot, quests,and loot - then add cheap randomizers to the encounters. All of this leads to a unfun DLC that could have been a lot better. It all seems like a piece of a larger project that somehow gotA good idea gone bad, unfortunately the arena combat highlights Borderlands major flaws such as: terrible AI, repetitiveness. Then, remove everything fun from the original by removing story, plot, quests,and loot - then add cheap randomizers to the encounters. All of this leads to a unfun DLC that could have been a lot better. It all seems like a piece of a larger project that somehow got hacked off and patched up. I like the idea, I hated the execution. Expand

Unless you have a core group of three other friends and all of you have maxed out level 50 characters, I wouldn't recommend Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot to you. It isn't balanced properly and, since there is no normal XP awards or loot drops, you won't find your character improving as your struggle through the endless waves.
  2. Being able to store weapons in the new Bank is also nice and with the ability to purchase extra storage slots you'll run out of good weapons before you run out of places to stick them. Still though, the sheer time sink involved to best every bit of the Underdome isn't balanced out by the rewards for doing so.
  3. Mad Moxxi isn't worth the money. It's little more than an additional mode, and it really isn't as fun as the ones found in other games.