6.9

1. May 9, 2014
    I went directly from Dark Souls 2 to this so do keep that in mind for this review. I rated it higher than I felt I should based solely on that reason. Bound by Flame is an indie game that isn't trash, it's rough around the edges but it delivers a promising experience that could have easily been a nice treat inbetween big game releases. Sadly it made the mistake of releasing within Dark Souls 2's time frame. The combat it simplistic but "tactical", which is an odd mix. I don't care for it much but others might find it more welcoming, it just feels shallow some how and enemies seem to take longer to kill than they rightfully should(on the second difficulty). A critical flaw with the game is that cutscenes cut(pardon me) into the pacing a lot, I read that the story was pretty poor but I wouldn't know because I was hammering that skip button so hard it might have been gentler to use an actual hammer. I'm surprised the B on my 360 controller didn't get ground into atoms. To cut it all short for those ADHD readers: The music was a solid A+, I enjoyed it very much, but the gameplay and combat were lacking, the graphics were acceptable for an indie game, but pretty visuals and nice music alone a game does not make(In this gamers opinion). Expand
  2. May 9, 2014
    This game is so bad, don't waste your money. In Short: bad voiceacting / dialogs, unprecise combat, absurd and unclear doging/blocking mechanisms or not even there (dodgeroll), unimersive world (when you put in your name everybody goes ahead and calls you vulcan).
  3. May 9, 2014
    This game is so bad. Awkward unplayable combat, terrible dialogue, cheesy characters (objectified females of course), subpar graphics. It is a huge wast of money and not worth getting at all. The worst part is all the obnoxious fanboys swearing up and down how amazing this game is. This game is bad, don't waste your money.
  4. May 22, 2014
    I was excited about this game but now it just pisses me off. The environment ist bland and most of the time you are staring at walls. Feels like a corridor FPS. The combat is floaty as hell. The difficulty is far far far too high on the easiest difficulty level (my biggest complaint). The animations and character models just stink. The NPCs and the ambition behind this game are the only redeeming points.
    I'm almost at the end of it. Then I can finally wipe it of my drive and forget about it.
    At least it's not buggy...
  5. May 11, 2014
    Boring game with a bad voice acting, bad combat, story was so-so, main theme music is fantastic. Whats the point of entering your name or choosing a gender when nobody notices it?
  6. May 9, 2014
    In Short: bad voiceacting / dialogs, unprecise combat, absurd and unclear doging/blocking mechanisms or not even there (dodgeroll), unimersive world (when you put in your name everybody goes ahead and calls you vulcan). And some things more, which made me stop playing this game for the moment and once again showed that you should not prepurchase anything.

Some things extended: I guess
    coming from Dark Souls franchise, esp. the latest DSII which i played a lot, from the trailers and dev. interviews i expectet a "casual" Dark Souls and i was proven wrong. So the voiceacting, the dialogs, the graphics are not very good and the story is quite predictable some hours in to the game, but what threw me off the most is the "clunkie" combat, its not precice and feels unresponsive, meaning you take damage but you can not see or hear form where or maybe it was the smash to the ground 10 meters behind you which you didnt hear as well. So as said im used to hard combat but it has to be fair. Also the dodging/blocking mechanic is unpleasant, you can only jump back and block, but you have not a shield, whish there were more options and clarity on how to block / doge things. Expand
  7. May 15, 2014
    What to say? Simple horrible. The combat system is ridiculous cheap and broken, not challenging like DS. The animations, camera, lore, story, pathetic sexual content only help to bury this thing in a barrel of ****
  8. May 11, 2014
    I was really dissapointed when I saw the score on metacritic. I was not sure if I should give Bound by Flame chance or leave it and finally I decided to give it a go.

The first impressions of game: The voice acting is really bad, optimization is also not the best tried to run it on ultra settings on high end PC and all I got was 20-40 FPS (which is a joke since I could run 2x BF4 maxed
    on my machine and still I would have some free resources), lowering few options from Ultra to High did the job and I got solid 40-60 FPS. The combat system in this game is just nightmare, it feels so uncomfortable not to mention that blocking enemy attacks is just nearly impossible and it takes ages to kill group of enemies even on LOWEST possible difficulty. Graphics are not bad but game looks ugly in some areas. Companions in this game don't do anything besides dying and trying to kill single enemy... in that case they fail too.

+ Graphics

- Lore
    - Companions / Generic Enemies
    - Difficulty levels
  9. May 11, 2014
    This is an action RPG that focuses a lot on combat. Problem is, the physics engine is a huge disaster. Just go behind your opponent and stab him in the back several times with the ranger style and you're done.
    Graphics are OK, sometimes. Some places don't feel as polished as others. It goes from al most nice to plain ugliness. No refresh rate settings in the video options. Kinda cool in
    2014 to play in full screen 24HZ when you have a R9 290X and a TV...
    This game lasts about 10 hours and to me it is just not Worth it. What it lacks most is identity. It really feels like a bad copy of Kingdom of Amalur/The Witcher 1 in a world where heroes have no charisma at all... a huge disappointment... You'd rather play those old games if you haven't by now. They're way better and cheaper.
  10. May 9, 2014
    Wish I could give this game a good rating, but I can't.

So, starting the game, you face some cutscenes that talk about the story. I admit it's not too inspiring, and I felt forced to skip them all. The graphics are outdated, but that generally isn't enough to let me down.
    Several minutes later you start fighting. Well, that should've been awesome, should have. The combat doesn't flow
    well. Sometimes the enemy will block your attack and punish you, but seems unfair that they can recover so fast after getting their attacks parried.
    Let's not forget you can't dodge. Yeah, if two enemies are attacking you at the same time, you will have a hard time repositioning yourself by just wakling.

Sadly, I just quit the game before finishing the tutorial. The story may get better, but it started so badly that I didn't even bother myself to find out what happens next. And the most important thing for me, gameplay, is flawed.

In the end, it's just a subpar game in every aspect. I don't like this comparison, but Dark Souls is less expensive and much much better
  11. May 22, 2014
    Horribly clumsy combat, robot like movements, the same annoying sound at the beginning, and visuals that really don't represent next gen. I played about 2 hours and then put it back in the box and sent it back. The only reason i even scored it a 2 is because i rented it. If i had bought it, i would have scored it a 0.
  12. Jun 29, 2014
    I persevered with this game a lot longer than I thought I would, and a lot longer than I SHOULD have.
    I reached level 25 and now I've pretty much given up on this game, because what little it has going for it, is just overwhelmingly drowned out by the disastrous combat mechanics.

The combat is terrible, slow, clunky and imprecise. The AI is utterly dreadful. Your companions are
    virtually useless in combat and you have remarkably little control over them, also probably because the AI is just terrible.

The graphics are dated. The voice acting is mediocre. The RPG elements are superficial at best, and the 'choices' presented to the player largely don't have any agency whatsoever on the progression of the story.

Probably the biggest let-down is the story. It's basically all filler. Complete and utter guff.
    The amount of coherent lore in this game could be squeezed, succinctly, onto one sheet of A4 paper.

At times this game reminded me of Dragon Age 2, but in retrospect that's really unfair on Dragon Age 2. This game is so much worse, I personally wouldn't pay $5 for it, having played it.
    It's possibly the worst RPG I've had the misfortune of paying good money for.

My advice is to save your money and play Skyrim or Witcher 2 again. You won't find anything good here.
  13. May 24, 2014
    You are paying 40 dolloars for a 5 or 6 hours' short disaster (thank god~) There is no reason for u to play this game second time because of the boring combat poor weapon armor collection meaningless upgrades boring storyline and there is also nothing to enjoy in the first place.Everything is familiar from other great arpg games u ve played and in this game its much lot worse than u think the way they should be. So plz donate ur money to poor kids who cant afford meals and dont waste ur time and money on this garbage. Expand
  14. Jun 2, 2014
    It had real potential. An interesting (ish) story with some okay characters marred by bad screen writing and average voice acting. Graphics are fine although not amazing. I find the gameplay a bit sluggish and to be honest, pretty boring.

All in all, a game that really doesn't deliver a strong result.
  15. Jun 18, 2014
    Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. The combat in this game sucks SO fiercely that it completely destroys anything else good it possibly had to offer. Having a combat system based completely on dodging and interrupting attacks may seem like an "interesting" or "good" idea, right up until the end of the game when there are so many monsters on the screen that it lags to the point it won't take your controller input in combat and then you die. Good job guys, you ruined what could have been a great game. Expand
  16. Jun 16, 2014
    This game, while beautiful in some parts, is almost painful to look at in others. This is not only inclusive of the graphics, but of the lip syncing as well. That's just a joke, not to mention the dialogue is terrible to begin with. As for gameplay, it's kind of fun but there is very little variety in it. You primarily invest all of your skill points into the ranger whatever category because warrior is too slow and you don't receive nearly enough mana to properly be a mage (your health and mana barely increase over the course of the game). Combine that with a fighting system where you repeat the same hit, hit, dodge, hit, hit, dodge, hit, hit, dodge pattern the entire game, it gets pretty tedious and boring. It's fun, but gets mundane pretty quickly. Expand
  17. Jul 6, 2014
    You can only play this game if you spend most of your life holed up in a black room with no light. While it had the potential to be interesting if more play-testing had been done, there is no way to have any fun with the game. If you make a mistake in your character progression early on, your only option to fix it is to restart the game. When you restart, you are forced to go through every single cutscene over again.

A massive waste of time and money.

1. Jul 25, 2014
    There is potential in Bound by Flame but I can’t review this game without using some harsh words. It’s linear and clichéd, combat should be better and many elements could be more complex. Still I believe that with more money, people and time Spiders would be able to play in the major league. [07/2014, p.54]
  2. Jun 12, 2014
    French indie developer tries to engage adult audience with this RPG. Too bad the world is generic and script is dull as a wooden blade. If you show a few tits and curse like a sailor, that don't translate to a game for adults. On top of that the game mechanics are dull and repetitive. You don't challenge Witcher with this kind of setup. [June 2014]
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    Ugly, stupid and riddled with cliche, Bound by Flame has car crash fascination but little else to recommend it. [Issue#249, p.62]