8.1

1. Dec 5, 2013
    Really dont get the critics reviews all 60% are they copying and pasting from each other? Ratings make no sense when a playable beautifully crafted game like this gets 60% and an unplayable mess like BF4 gets 83% or more. As for my review of the game I'm not that far in but very happy with what I've seen thus far.

It's much more in line with the first 2 Broken swords beautiful hand

It's much more in line with the first 2 Broken swords beautiful hand drawn 2D graphics and enjoyable *if not overly difficult puzzles'. I hope this is a big success and Beneath a Steel Sky 2 is equally successful the original is one of my favourite games of all time.
  2. Dec 8, 2013
    I don't know what's wrong with the critics giving the game 6/10. This game is brilliant. It has fun story and it reminds me of first two Broken swords. It maybe isn't one of the point and click games that telltale would have produced but this game surely has it's charm and you should think about buying it!
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    I'm a bit baffled by some of the reviews here. Broken Sword 1 is my favourite game of all time I won't deny that. I wasn't a huge fan of the 3D element of 3 and 4, however I felt the story and humour remained, so I still enjoyed them. I had high hopes for the belated fifth installment, and wondered how it would turn out. I am delighted to say it has exceeded my expectations. The look andI'm a bit baffled by some of the reviews here. Broken Sword 1 is my favourite game of all time I won't deny that. I wasn't a huge fan of the 3D element of 3 and 4, however I felt the story and humour remained, so I still enjoyed them. I had high hopes for the belated fifth installment, and wondered how it would turn out. I am delighted to say it has exceeded my expectations. The look and feel of it is reminiscent of the first 2 games, however it has been given a bit of 21st century sheen. The story is intriguing, and the Stobbart deadpan humour is here in bucketloads. I have laughed out load on numerous occasions to his little jokes, or his amusing responses. I also love the secondary characters reactions to the odd items Stobbart carries around with him.
    Probably the only quibble I have is that it is a bit easy. We are only halfway through (part 2 is due in January) but nothing has had me stuck like the first game (i'd go days just wandering round, trying every item with everything) however, the developers have made the superb decision not to include a 'hotspot' key which basically turns point and click games into interactive stories.
    If you are considering buying BS5 i'd strongly urge you to do so. In a world of an endless stream of Call of Duty and FIFA games a new Broken Sword is extremely welcome especially when it is done this well.
  4. Dec 9, 2013
    The game is pretty good, at least the first half of it is as we'll have to wait until January for the rest!

The games plays just like the first two broken sword games which is a good thing. This is a classic adventure game, none of this modern dumbed down stuff. There's tons of items to pick up and some of which need combing to solve puzzles (most of the Telltale games scrapped this mechanic). Unfortunately the puzzles themselves seem to be too much on the easy side. I think part of the problem is a lot of puzzles are restricted to one room so you either have all the items you need to solve all the puzzles already or they're in the room to be picked up. I'm hoping we'll see more multi-room puzzles in the second half.

The backgrounds in the game are beautiful, all hand drawn. The character animations are all pre-rendered and to be honest I'm not a huge fan but they're still quite good for the most part. There are a few glitches with them though. One annoying glitch is the walk cycle animation resets if you click somewhere else on the screen when George is already walking; It's quite jarring. There are some scenes where the characters lips don't move while talking if they're already doing some other animation. Also when first talking to a character there is often a long pause between George saying 'hi' and the character responding as if the game is waiting for their idle animation to finish. Finally a few times the character will jump to another part of the room when talking and then jumping back. These are annoying glitches which make the game feel like it was rushed a bit before release. But the rest of the game doesn't feel rushed at all.

The music is awesome as Barrington Pheloung from the first two games returns to compose the score. He's also the guy behind the music from the British TV shows Morse and Lewis. This really adds to the nostalgia. The voice acting is not great but not bad either. Rolf Saxon returns as the main character George Stobbart and he's awesome as always. The problem is with the rest of the characters. Personally I didn't mind the voice acting although I know a lot of other people have criticised it.

It's difficult to comment on the story without seeing the whole game. It is a bit slow at the beginning but does start picking up halfway through. It is a completely authentic Broken Sword story although I don't want to spoil anything.

The game is great value, only £15 on Steam at the moment and that includes the second part that comes out in January! To be honest my only real disappointment with the game is that the puzzles are too easy. Although the first two Broken Sword games were never that hard. The other issues such as the animations and voice acting are really down to production values and you can't really complain when you consider how much you're paying. I don't understand the low scores given by the professional critics. They seem way too harsh. This a completely authentic Broken Sword game that could be straight out of the 90s! If you love Broken Sword or Adventure Games in general I can completely recommend this game!
  5. Dec 8, 2013
    Nostalgia Revived, at least for me.
    True fans of the Broken Sword series will appreciate the subtleties of our old Point & Click game, beautiful drawing, voices, and the mystery is still here, and we didn't solve this one, for now...

Back to the source!
  6. Dec 10, 2013
    when i finished the game i felt how endorphins where rushing through my body. what else matters?
    (apparantly metacritic wants more than that, but it's all i have to say)
  7. Dec 7, 2013
    Really enjoyed this game. A little slow to start, but the story really picks up and I can't wait for part two. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting top class, and the script is spot on. A few bugs to iron out, but no doubt they will be fixed up soon. Only slight disappointment were a few of the animations, but others were great.
  8. Dec 5, 2013
    Why is this only getting 6/10 from the critics?
    Great atmosphere, beautiful backgrounds, an interesting story.
    It's almost as good as the first 2 titles of the series.

The best Kickstarter game I've played yet. Great work, guys.
  9. Dec 7, 2013
    Just like other users, I simply can't get so-called "professional" reviewers' score. The game is beautiful, it's easily one of the top adventure games visually. The way characters are blended with backgrounds, the way they're animated and interact with each other and the world around them is incredible. Writing is fine (even if a little bit different in style from the first two games), theJust like other users, I simply can't get so-called "professional" reviewers' score. The game is beautiful, it's easily one of the top adventure games visually. The way characters are blended with backgrounds, the way they're animated and interact with each other and the world around them is incredible. Writing is fine (even if a little bit different in style from the first two games), the puzzles are a little bit on the simple side (I hadn't had to use a hint system once for the first 50% of the game) something that could be improved upon.

Overall flow of the game is excellent, the characters are fun and believable, the mood is "just right" for the Broken Sword game. Technically, it runs well so far I hadn't had any glitches or crashes at all and, of course, with it being an adventure game, you don't need a powerful machine to run it, which is a rare thing nowadays. All in all, this is an absolute must-have for all adventure games fans.
  10. Dec 6, 2013
    I really enjoyed this part of broken sword. I found it to be a worthy successor and a really enjoyable game. One of the very few great Adventure games out there. Nice puzzles, good story awesome atmosphere and artwork. Fun gameplay. The 3d models are great but sometimes not quite there yet. Quite buggy on release date. But all in all top
  11. Dec 6, 2013
    Critics are judging this game far too harshly. BS5 is a breath of fresh air in the world of action shooters and explosions. The slow pace of the game merely informs it's narrative, while the hand drawn animation is some of the most stunning I have seen in any game.
  12. Dec 8, 2013
    I like this game and hope it will more BS in the future. The graphics is fantastic and the story is very well built. It is time to come back to a meaningful games and stop playing stupid violent shooting an exploding games. The critics were not professional at all by rating it 6/10. They are just supporting the stupid shooting over rated games. We have to understand that this kind ofI like this game and hope it will more BS in the future. The graphics is fantastic and the story is very well built. It is time to come back to a meaningful games and stop playing stupid violent shooting an exploding games. The critics were not professional at all by rating it 6/10. They are just supporting the stupid shooting over rated games. We have to understand that this kind of adventure games should be supported and not discourage them. Over all fantastic game and go ahead guys. good job. Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    A solid first part of an interesting tale involving murder and mystery. Most of the puzzles are not particularly hard, there was only one puzzle that makes zero logical sense but the hint system will help you solve any. I found the dialogue had long pauses between each exchange, and this made some of the dialogue kinda painful. Funny at times, relaxing to play.
  14. Jan 8, 2014
    Perfect return to form!!! The graphics and animations are very beautiful and collorful. Nice art direction. The start of the game is, again, a crime scene. A love letter to all fans. True point and click adventure. Highly recommended!!!
  15. Dec 8, 2013
    Critics reviews of 60% are just ridiculous. I can buy the 80% review of those unbiased, for fans this is an absolute winner though. Those who loved originals BS games will love the latest installment. Those who feel otherwise can return to the boredom of Assassin's Creed or similar.
  16. Dec 14, 2013
    Broken Sword back to its strengths, theres plenty of Stobbart charisma and the story is an interesting one, I'm a little disappointed with it being a little short but I look forward to the second half, hoping theres some tougher puzzles. But it is like others say a breath of fresh air, if they keep adding to the broken sword series I'll keep playing them.
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    The serpents curse returns in this excellent sequel, broken sword 5. Serpent must navigate his way through many challenges in this point and click adventure wich will have viewers on the edge of there seets in suspense, reccomended to people who like adventures.
  18. Dec 20, 2013
    Wonderfully crafted point and click adventure with a story to keep you hooked and some great voice acting and backdrops. Pay no heed to the critics they obviously didn't get paid off when reviewing this. If you enjoyed the previous broken sword games or classic point and click nostalgia then you will want to give this a shot. All in all a very fun game and highly recommended.
  19. Dec 6, 2013
    One of my best old school games has back. Very interesting story, good story and dialogs. Bad that only half of the game has been released in december. Nicely done Charles.
  20. Dec 6, 2013
    A truly wonderful game, everything about this game, from graphics and score to the scripts and characters is just incredible. Too bad it gets bad ratings from the critics.
  21. Dec 26, 2013
    I have no idea what these critics were thinking...This is a great game. It's a game that gave the people who funded it everything they asked for. Gorgeous 2d graphics, a beautiful story with lots of twists and well designed logical puzzles. If you like adventure games, don't think twice before buying this.
  22. Dec 6, 2013
    Soy un gran fan de Broken Sword, los 2 primeros juegos de la saga, por historia y por jugabilidad están por encima de los 2 siguientes (BS3 y BS4).

Doné 175$ para que viera la luz este nuevo capítulo y estoy disfrutando del juego, aqui dejo mis impresiones. Pro BS5 La esencia del primer Broken Sword está presente en Broken Sword 5: La maldición de la Serpiente ya que se recupera la

Pro BS5 La esencia del primer Broken Sword está presente en Broken Sword 5: La maldición de la Serpiente ya que se recupera la jugabilidad, la inmersión en la historia, los dialogos, el colorido y los puzzles, juego a la altura de los primeros.

Contras: Puzzles demasiado faciles, no me gusta la separación en capitulos.

Salah eh din
  23. Dec 6, 2013
    Beautiful hand painted graphics and character animation. Professional sound, speech and music. Good story, nice atmosphere. Don't listen to the critcis. They probabky never have played the previous BS games. This continues successfully the Broken Sword legacy. Keep up the good work.
  24. Dec 10, 2013
    This is an great Point and Click Adventure, which is especially made for the Fans of the first and the second Broken Sword games, because the Graphics are really beautifully hand-drawn.
    I am really happy, that they made the sequel, and I am really pumped for the second part
  25. Feb 1, 2014
    I'm often amused by how, for some games, the "official critics" response to a game can be far from the general public appreciation. My guess is that, two main factors are responsible for this. The first is that, nowadays, as games are being touted as a serious art form, it seems that critics feel as if they now must theorize on what makes a good game, they built up expectations on what aI'm often amused by how, for some games, the "official critics" response to a game can be far from the general public appreciation. My guess is that, two main factors are responsible for this. The first is that, nowadays, as games are being touted as a serious art form, it seems that critics feel as if they now must theorize on what makes a good game, they built up expectations on what a game should be and in some places, the meeting of this expectation simply replaces sheer enjoyment and appreciation. The second factor is that, most critics don't have the time to properly review all the games that come out and they simply "inspire" themselves from other "reputable" opinions. Actually, concerning the Broken Sword 5, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the mixed reviews we see are just clones of the RockPaperShotgun's appreciation.

As for myself, as most of the other reviewers around, I feel that that Broken Sword 5 is on par with the first two games of the series. The story unfolds in very natural way and is punctuated with glimpses of the same silly humour that made Broken Sword 1 & 2 so enjoyable. I felt that the intrigue, while verging on the mystic and mysterious, was told in credible and enticing way. As a first episode of two, by definition, it is incomplete and somewhat of an intro to the whole story but it sure got me hooked into playing the second act.

On the technical side, the graphics are mostly very well done. Every background is hand-drawn and they all are, with respect to the series, colourful and lovely detailed. As for the characters, while being 3D rendered, they do integrate very well with their surroundings but to be honest, the animation part is 70% of what it should have been. (The main problem is that most of the characters have very limited movement routines and it sometimes leads to situations where you really feel like playing with cheap puppets). Most of voice acting was equally good with the notable exception of Nico - her accent is just off and her intonations are often misplaced. As for the music, it does the job well enough (nothing overstated).

In the end, if you enjoyed the first Broken Sword games, chances are you'll really appreciate this one. And if you're somewhat new to point and click adventures, I guess this would be a good title to begin with (in my opinion, it surely is far more appreciable then most of that Daedalic have done in last few months)!
  26. Jan 23, 2014
    Quite nice game and very enjoyable to play. Every location and character are well drawn and contain so much details. The music and sound are great, very appropriate for this game. The story is pretty interesting, but the game, unfortunately, is too short. The puzzles aren't difficult, but very interesting to solve some of them.

Broken Sword 5 is a very nice adventure game and it retains

Broken Sword 5 is a very nice adventure game and it retains the style of the whole series.
  27. Feb 2, 2014
    Back to its roots, beautiful game, really well drawn I was quite taken aback when it opened with the eagle flying off. Somehow expecting it not to look as good as it does! , good dialogue as we're used to in these games. And a good storyline. This is how the series should have evolved Looking forward to part two and hopefully broken sword 6! Don't listen to critics this is a great game!Back to its roots, beautiful game, really well drawn I was quite taken aback when it opened with the eagle flying off. Somehow expecting it not to look as good as it does! , good dialogue as we're used to in these games. And a good storyline. This is how the series should have evolved Looking forward to part two and hopefully broken sword 6! Don't listen to critics this is a great game! Although I am a fan of the series and point and clicks in general I wouldn't have rated it so positively if it wasn't that good! Happy man right here Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2014
    If you liked the previous Broken Sword games, or point & click-games in general, don't hesitate.
    + Great mystical story,
    + Very nice puzzles, several of them of mini-game type, like ciphers for example. + Nice difficulty level. Provides a smooth storytelling while making you 'actually' feel smart. + Gorgeous artwork throughout the game. + Alright humour, and great voice acting. -
    + Great mystical story,
    + Gorgeous artwork throughout the game.
    + Alright humour, and great voice acting.

- The episode splitting is very noticeable. Breaks the the storytelling. First scene is so obviously made for piloting/demoing.
    - Too few characters in certain environments. Feels desolated.
    - Lacking programming of dialogue. Large gaps of time between lines.
    - The quality of animation is far behind the quality of illustrations.

Overall, had a GREAT experience. Recommend it to anyone who's in to mysteries/crime novels/etc.
  29. Sep 18, 2014
    George and Nico are back and they're back for good. The only problem about this first chapter is that it is a launching pad for the second episode. That is why I think it is unfair to judge the two chapters on their own (mainly because it wasn't conceived to be splitted in two parts). The graphic is great, the characters and dialogues are perfect. Probably the game is too easy, but itGeorge and Nico are back and they're back for good. The only problem about this first chapter is that it is a launching pad for the second episode. That is why I think it is unfair to judge the two chapters on their own (mainly because it wasn't conceived to be splitted in two parts). The graphic is great, the characters and dialogues are perfect. Probably the game is too easy, but it improves in the second half. I think Metacritic should create another page where we can review the COMPLETE game and not the single episodes. Expand

1. Apr 27, 2014
    This sequel ignores the less popular Broken Sword 3 and 4. One the one hand that's great, because it revives the atmosphere of the first two games and it works. But technically it's not up to date and the important puzzles are too easy to solve. But there's hope for part 2.
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Eminently playable, cheekily characterised and delectably artistic, The Serpent’s Curse rekindles the romance of the much-loved Broken Sword series.
  3. Apr 27, 2014
    The Serpent’s Curse might be a little bit like the recent Veromica Mars movie, where if you’re a fan of the series then you might be happy enough just seeing what George and Nico are up to. But for everybody else, there isn’t much to get excited about, and there are probably better options out there for your gaming time and money.