8.5

1. Sep 27, 2013
    I recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a videoI recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a video game.

That being said, I didn't find any other aspect of this title to be particularly noteworthy or enjoyable. The puzzles are extremely simplistic and I was never, even for a moment, at loss as to how to proceed. This simplicity might lead one to think that this might be a good game for kids, but the grim tone and surprisingly gruesome middle section quickly put that idea to rest.

I question the decision to implement a made up "language" for the characters to use to express themselves. I think it badly detracts from the seriousness of the story. I would have preferred either no dialog at all (pantomime would probably have been sufficient) or some concise dialog/narration in a real language. Perhaps something written in a fairy tale style would have fit the mood of the game perfectly.

Finally, I have to take major issue with the ending. I think the developers were going for grand operatic tragedy, but because of the complete lack of characterization things fall completely flat. The shrill and melodramatic music that underscores "big" moments makes the lack of true drama all the more obvious and jarring.

I'm sure many people will enjoy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but based on my own taste in games and art I don't find anything to recommend here.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape. Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    Not difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the gameNot difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the game was more than move forward and press a button I'd enjoy it a lot more even the 'boss' fights that's pretty much all you did besides run around a little. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2013
    Brothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as itsBrothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as its the only moment where the game takes advantage of the unique gameplay style.

Otherwise, the game treats the two characters with independently, which flies in the face of the supposed meaning of the game. Why create this odd control style and never deliver unique mechanics? The game plays like a million other puzzle platformers, which is a shame considering the potential.

The ending has a great mechanics-as-metaphor moment, and it feels like the entire game was a setup for that one well-done moment. That said, it's incredibly predictable and intensely cloying. It's a short game as well: my playthrough clocked in at about two hours.

Overall, it has a few memorable moments, but the whole experience feels amateur. It's as if the team saw the success of Journey and Bastion and decided, "Yeah, let's do a game like that."
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun...
  6. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    The game is fun, no question about that. I even bought an X-Box Controller just for this, as my old PS2 controller wouldnt work. But whatever, I'm not gonna rate the game on this.

It is, however, pretty much overhyped, I think. The ending was just awesome, but most of the game before that didn't feel that special. Just a plain adventure, not much better than other games. Had some highlights, yes.

I think, I never really got into it or I had to big expectations with everyone saying "Best Game 2013".

Still enjoyable, but don't expect the best game ever.
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    I finished the game today and I for one feel like it was a game that would be better adapted for the movies or films. There was drama that some didn't realize., but it was there. This is a game however and it needs to offer more. There is little to no replay value. The game was linear and wayyyy toooo short. If I hadn't got it for a few bucks I would of seriously wanted a return.

The

The graphics, the audio(save for voice overs), and the gameplay were decent if not great, but it just was never meant to be a game; a movie or film, YES!

FYI parents...there is some extremely violent material in the middle; be forewarned.
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    I would be happy to recommend this game, but with a couple of caveats. It is beautiful to look at, really nice use of the Unreal engine, the story line is nice (not perhaps operatic or deep, but nice with some emotional tug), and once you start, you will wish to see it end. Just keep in mind that the controls can be fiddly from time to time, and the puzzles are easy and obvious.

I think

I think what stops me from giving it the 8-10 mark is that we're introduced to some beautiful ideas and lands in at least three chapters, but we pass through them and they're gone, with no note or interest in telling us more about these lands. This game could have been a much much bigger one if they had to budget to expand on each land, and then progress to the next. Take a note out of The Walking Dead series, and maybe do it as chapters if there's a Brothers 2. For me, the end felt rushed to, I wanted to find out much more about the earlier levels to complete the world story. And the make-up language limited them in giving the sons (plus parents) any decent backstory, I'm not sure it was a great idea, but I compliment them in trying.

All that aside, it is a very fine game, worth playing, short enough, and once you get the keyboard mapping good for your two hands, you'll have an enjoyable experience.
  10. Jan 29, 2014
    "Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" is a journey through fable-like world that focuses on inducing variety of emotions. The environment is very scenic, often having you traveling high up and admiring beautiful landscapes. It's inhabited with trolls, giants, griffins and other mythical creatures. Everywhere you go there's always something nice to look at. The camera's position often emphasizes"Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" is a journey through fable-like world that focuses on inducing variety of emotions. The environment is very scenic, often having you traveling high up and admiring beautiful landscapes. It's inhabited with trolls, giants, griffins and other mythical creatures. Everywhere you go there's always something nice to look at. The camera's position often emphasizes the best fragments of a scene. It's not photo-real, but definitely eye pleasing and charming.

You control both brothers at once - left hand for the older one, right hand for the younger. Many puzzles rely on syncing them well together. For me that was something new. Personally I had to keep them on the left&right sides of the screen in accordance with the control scheme. Whenever they switched positions due to my running around, my brain just went out of whack and chaos followed. I had to slow down and reposition them to be able to continue comfortably.

The puzzles themselves are fairly easy. Some variants are recycled throughout the game. There is no greater planning involved and you solve many as you go. There is also no backtracking, so even if you're not sure how to tackle a specific problem, in most cases solution would present itself after simply going a little further. I feel that puzzles are just meant to be a way of reinforcing the bond between brothers and making player more attached through gameplay. Most of them require both protagonists working at the same time or in a longer alternating sequence.

The reception of the story differs from person to person. Many people got their hopes up by other reviews/opinions and were disappointed. Others were ecstatic. For me the general experience is above average, that's for sure. Also the ending squeezed a tear out of me or two, so the narration trough gameplay mostly did it's job. But I didn't experience strong emotional response from the beginning to the end like some. Still I find the whole journey enjoyable and well worth my time.

The game is pretty linear. No choices to be made, no events that can be prevented or played out differently. Apart from the main task that the boys are focused on, you can interact with many objects or NPCs and observe separate animations for each brother. Those do not affect anything, but make the world feel more alive and characters more fleshed out. All the inhabitants communicate in a made up gibberish sounding language, so the gestures and body language are especially important.

The whole world might look like it's fable-like, but in reality it's quite harsh. Brutal and cruel at times even. Good things happen, then bad things happen. You save someone, someone will die as a direct result of helping you (or even a worse scenario). One has the impression that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes you won't be able to help - you'll just witness the effects of a tragedy that already took place. You meet both friendly NPCs, and mean or outright ill willed & hostile ones. Although there are very few moments in the whole game that actually pose any danger (story wise, not from manually letting go a ledge or other mechanics associated deaths).

Completing the game takes about 3-4 hours, even when interacting with every possible object/person. So it's quite short. There is no need to replay it, other than experiencing the exact same story again if you really were swept away by it. If you have a chance to grab it on a sale - I wouldn't hesitate, fully recommended. At full price, I would say it's not for everyone. Definitely for people that can appreciate the emotional content and enjoy the journey aspect without making fuss about easy difficulty, length or minor issues - basically, recommended for informed customers :)

Subjective Assessment - 7.5 (more than nice, not yet great)
    [utilizing full 1-10 scale, where 5 means average]
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    The game is interesting, sure. The concept of controlling 2 characters at once has come up in a handful of games on Kongregate already and hasn't become boring yet. The story is great as well. I especially liked that everything is told without a single word the animators have done a great job. The locations are filled with details and small objects. Music is great. The whole theme of theThe game is interesting, sure. The concept of controlling 2 characters at once has come up in a handful of games on Kongregate already and hasn't become boring yet. The story is great as well. I especially liked that everything is told without a single word the animators have done a great job. The locations are filled with details and small objects. Music is great. The whole theme of the game is very positive, even educational. The negative sides are: 1) you can't customize the keys! This is just plain carelessness of the developers and is unforgivable. On my laptop the arrow keys are small, so my Up key is actually on the same level as the right Ctrl and I had to keep the right hand awkwardly positioned, with the elbow shifted left, touching my belly. Playing the game was physically uncomfortable. I'd remap the keys to use the keypad for controlling the small brother. 2) there is not much actually gameplay since the only thing you can do is to press "action" keys in some places. There are no actual puzzle to solve, there is not much to do. It's more of an interactive cartoon than a game since you can't do much except running and watching animations. 3) the graphics are pretty dated and low poly, somewhere on the level of 2003 games. I give this game a 6 for the interesting concept but frankly I dropped this game after 20 mins due to boredom and painful controls. Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2014
    Can't say I enjoyed the game gameplay wise. Too repetitive and automated. The story is Ghibli-grade but the lack of voice acting and dull environments(great ideas, just not enough color and detail) killed it for me.
  13. Jan 8, 2014
    Seriously? Gameplay is the only unique property of games, so when you wright a review you should consider it. And gameplay in Brothers is primitive and repetitive. It doesn't give player a challenge in any way other than if you want to sneeze when characters hanging on cliff you must resist the urge to cover mouth with your hand. How this game get so many 10/10 is beyond me.
  14. Oct 22, 2013
    I had read reviews saying that this game had a great emotional story. And although the end tries to be very emotional it fails to deliver thanks to some plot holes and a somewhat forced drama.
    But the great problem with this game is the controls. Not only is using two tumbsticks to control tow different characters, doing two different things, somewhat awkward but the use of the triggers for action makes it very tiring and painful to play for more than an hour.
    The game has a couple of interesting puzzles, but nothing really inspiring. They are just there and end up being more of a chore, than a challenge.
    By the time I was finishing the game, I could only think about the awkward controls, the pain on my fingers and the plot holes, to even care about the drama.
  15. Oct 19, 2013
    The game is beautiful but thats about it. Story almost doesn't exist since you don't get told much. You basically go around the world solving puzzles and do some platforming, it gets kinda boring after a while. Oh and the controller is mandatory (not that I mind).
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    Just finished this hauntingly beautiful game. I only have one major problem with it; the female characters. There are three female characters you interact with throughout the game. One is dead, and the other two you have to rescue. And it gets worse by the end. Read a book about basic feminism or watch Anita Sarkeesian's videos on how women are portrayed in games for your next game.Just finished this hauntingly beautiful game. I only have one major problem with it; the female characters. There are three female characters you interact with throughout the game. One is dead, and the other two you have to rescue. And it gets worse by the end. Read a book about basic feminism or watch Anita Sarkeesian's videos on how women are portrayed in games for your next game. Otherwise it was a great game. Expand
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    I've seen better graphics but the game still manages to be okay. It reminds me of full metal alchemist and was very interesting at the beginning, though got boring later on. Still a good game though.
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    The game's mechanics and puzzles are pretty fun, its sometimes hard to keep the brothers from parting, especially when they switch sides. This in and of itself could be argued as part of the experience. What I didn't like about the game was its story. I had read that it was profound and moving, this said by Adam Sessler and other review sites, what I found was a game that took a very easyThe game's mechanics and puzzles are pretty fun, its sometimes hard to keep the brothers from parting, especially when they switch sides. This in and of itself could be argued as part of the experience. What I didn't like about the game was its story. I had read that it was profound and moving, this said by Adam Sessler and other review sites, what I found was a game that took a very easy rout in making you sad, I won't spoil it, but it felt so easy and uninspired in the end, a game like this should be ripe with metaphor and symbolism, for society, history ext ext, what was instead a mish mash of somberness for unexplained reasons and odd unexplained scenery and visuals, which I should also mention are amazingly gorgeous, the graphics, level design and color alone a a reason to play this game.

Overall I would say that if your looking for the next Journey, this isn't it, there's nothing existential or deep about it. Its a fun and beautiful game with a melodramatic story. Its worth playing, or Buying on Sale right now on Steam, but don't expect too much from it.
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (0/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

20. Dec 23, 2014
    I've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the controlI've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the control scheme. You have to use a controller since you control both brothers simultaneously. It soon becomes a chore to play and the only real reason to continue is for the story. Expand
  21. Apr 7, 2016
    A charming little puzzle-platforming experience that is easily recommendable to anyone. The dual stick/character control scheme is both fun, daring and precise. The melancholic atmosphere paired with the competent audio-visual presentation make for a soothing few hours of entertainment. Play it, there is really no reason not to.
  22. May 1, 2016
    Me and my friend played it till the end . we felt like we're bonding it's a really great game with lots of great

and awesome adventures . my advise play it with your girlfriend PLEASE JUST DO THIS and let her play with the younger brother . we just made a lot of jokes till we got hit awesomely with the awesome story line . yeah a great **** game overall . BUT the ONLY problem for

story line . yeah a great **** game overall . BUT the ONLY problem for me is that the game was TOO

SHORT . feels like a long movie .
  23. Jul 26, 2016
    Price paid: £1.09
    Time to finish: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Score: 7/10 Recommended?: Yes, when on sale I have been playing shooter after shooter lately so I thought I'd play something completely different, this isn't a genre I've ever really played before but I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Overall it has to be one of the most beautiful games I've played, the design is spot on in so
    Price paid: £1.09
    Time to finish: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Score: 7/10
    Recommended?: Yes, when on sale

Overall it has to be one of the most beautiful games I've played, the design is spot on in so many different ways but especially the landscapes which are gorgeous and varied throughout. The puzzles are fun but not too challenging, the little mechanics that are added as the game goes on keep it fresh and the pacing feels just right, the game doesn't overstay its welcome like most games tend to do these days. I would highly recommend you play this in one sitting like I did, it's really best experienced like that. Next time it's on sale I'd highly recommend grabbing it, it's well worth and if you go into it blind to the story you'll enjoy it so much more (which is why I've avoided talking about it at all).
  24. Jan 10, 2015
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights" +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once +Good Celtic-style music +Dark undertones in an otherwise visually beautiful, bright world that were handled well Cons: -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy -Little re-playability -Lack of dialogue and
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights"
    +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once
    +Good Celtic-style music

Cons:
    -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy
    -Little re-playability
    -Lack of dialogue and character background ultimately worked against the story, esp. in the end
    -Clunky controls
    -Very little exploration
    -Short game that lasts under 6 hours

I received this as a gift, so I knew next-to-nothing about this game. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I wasn't terribly surprised that I rated it lower than the overwhelmingly positive critic and user scores.

The Brothers Grimm-like environments and the seamless transitions akin to Miyazaki's Spirited Away impressed me, but the bad controls and the simplistic, repetitive puzzles didn't. The good idea of controlling two characters at once was marred by the mechanic of often holding down keys to save them from certain death, which struck me as lazy and unnecessarily frustrating difficulty. I would've much preferred cutting down that in half or to none in exchange for intellectually difficult puzzles that required at least *some* ambidexterity.

The untranslated gibberish for dialogue was odd, and it did work at times to enhance the atmosphere and story, but it backfired in the end. There wasn't enough characterization and back-story and too many immersion-breaking deus ex machinas to make me feel more empathetic to the younger brother's losses at the conclusion, and frankly they--the characters and story--aren't memorable. I expected to have multiple endings based on how you interacted with the world, which was wasted opportunity. I did like the part where the younger brother had to overcome obstacles that he couldn't before on his own, but that sadly didn't reach the depth and impact it could've been.

I may replay in brief sessions for the atmosphere or as a brief reminder of how to improve stories for games.
  25. Feb 19, 2016
    -Overview:

Brothers - A tale of two sons tells the story about two brothers (captain obvious here) which enter a journey to find a medicinal water to save their sick father's life. The universe in question begins normal, and shows up more fantasy-like as the game proceeds. One must use the independent control of each brother to go further the beautiful scenarios and amazing ambiance.
    -Overview:

-Concept Art

Done amazingly, the concept art captivates and really immerses the player in the word of the two sons. The gameplay all the time enriches the landscape, giving to the player an amazing view of the surrounding word.

-Graphics

The graphics lives up to the concept art. Having animation movies characteristics, it is perfectly balanced with the characters trait.

-Soundtrack

The soundtrack is present and features well the moments of comedy and drama of the game.

-Gameplay

The gameplay is interesting: one shall control both brothers, with independent controls. This makes the game challenging (of course if you play some skilled based game like Dota or Counter Strike, this will be a piece of cake), and add lots of POSSIBLE features to the gameplay. The "possible" was capitalized because this characteristic was not seized as it was supposed to. It is obvious that the game was not supposed to be a puzzle, but the difficulty of this game is little, to non. The most difficult parts are the ones you have to hold the controls of the two brothers, as they act together (in this aspect the gameplay is amazing), but some more difficult on the puzzles, more challenging bosses, and more options (the game is EXTREMELY linear) would have made this game MUCH more fun.
    Talking about linearity: the linearity of this game is INSANE; you literally just walk straight. There are almost no enemies, and the puzzles, as said, are extremely easy. You have no collectibles, no items, no upgrades... nothing. The simply fact that you control two characters at the same time is where all the "gameplay fun" is located, master this (hello Meepo players) and the game will be, gameplay wise, boring.

-Plot

The plot is what makes this game special. The story is simple, and becomes more and more interesting as the game proceeds. The player has to imply the story, that is because there is no language in the game. They speak their own language, which is basically noise for us (like The Sims language). The player understands what is going on by the expressions, the tone of the conversations, and the gestures of the characters. Impressively, besides having no language, the characters are extremely charismatics: you fell happy and sad with them, as the game proceeds.
    The history is well told, immersive and charismatic, using these methods.

-Conclusion

The art aspects of the game, as well as the story, are really creative, beautiful and captivating. You have a really good time playing if you like these aspects. However, besides the gameplay being interesting, it is extremely linear and easy, as well as short (I did it in 4 hours or something), making it a must play game, IF the price is not high.
  26. May 18, 2016
    Este juego no está mal en un principio, pues tiene escenas bastante bonitas y un gamepllay pasable en buena medida. Pero tanto la historia como la línea de diversión en mi caso podía tener bajones a lo largo del jego, lo critico porque no me gustó su estilo de tristeza. Pero a lo corto que es y todas las faltas de calidad del juego, la idéa de jugar con 2 personajes a la vez me haceEste juego no está mal en un principio, pues tiene escenas bastante bonitas y un gamepllay pasable en buena medida. Pero tanto la historia como la línea de diversión en mi caso podía tener bajones a lo largo del jego, lo critico porque no me gustó su estilo de tristeza. Pero a lo corto que es y todas las faltas de calidad del juego, la idéa de jugar con 2 personajes a la vez me hace aplaudir el juego pues no conozco más juegos que hagan algo parecido. Por eso sube a 7, tirando a 7,5 como mucho, pero no llega al 8 pues no es un juego notable: notablemente bueno, deja cosas que desear, pero en sí está bastante interesante para probarlo. Yo si lo recomiendo es por rebajas. ^^ Expand
  27. Sep 8, 2013
    Brothers almost the only modern game that can pass without getting any achievements. There is no open world, side quests, leveling characters, gathering equipment and weapons, difficulty levels and other things that we used to see in other current-gen titles. In this case, A Tale of Two Sons an interactive story in the best sense of the word. The story that will not give away from theBrothers almost the only modern game that can pass without getting any achievements. There is no open world, side quests, leveling characters, gathering equipment and weapons, difficulty levels and other things that we used to see in other current-gen titles. In this case, A Tale of Two Sons an interactive story in the best sense of the word. The story that will not give away from the game until the screen will not run the final credits. Collapse

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.