7.9

1. Jun 18, 2013
    It's a good game which is unfortunately held back by some rather bad and unintuitive controls for the RTS parts of the game. The last RTS fight was too much of a difficulty spike along with something of a "guide dangit!"-moment (tip: slowly build an army and after taking the first objective, suicidally rush the next objectives disregarding everything else)

Buy it for being a fun RPG. Do

Buy it for being a fun RPG. Do NOT buy it to play the RTS part with friends, it is very lacking in this area.
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    I honestly wanted to give the game a 10/10 on the base concept and the first trailer I saw years ago at a local gaming con even though it was console only back then, which meant I couldn't play it. Now it's out for PC and I started playing and got very confused. The setting, the characters, the story and the music is a unique combination, which makes it worthwhile to play through the game.I honestly wanted to give the game a 10/10 on the base concept and the first trailer I saw years ago at a local gaming con even though it was console only back then, which meant I couldn't play it. Now it's out for PC and I started playing and got very confused. The setting, the characters, the story and the music is a unique combination, which makes it worthwhile to play through the game. Having a game, that is a tribute to the decades of great music that I love is incredible and that alone makes it worth the purchase.
    However in my opinion there are problems with core gameplay mechanics that drag the score down to a slightly above average 6. Namely the Deuce and the stage battles.
    The car itself caused me a lot of frustration alone. The way it handles (both with keyboard and my trusty gamepad) is just awful. When I start it up, it can't be turned, otherwise it'll turn 90 degrees around. Driving it through the obstruction filled landscape is hard, because when you reach a high speed it turns very slowly. It's basically a cool looking soap box. This made me loath every mission that included driving it (like when you have to follow the caravan AND gun down enemy bikers, or the time you had to trap fire beasts) and made me completely leave out the racing side missions.
    The stage battles are also a big minus for me. The first few aren't that bad, but the bigger the map gets and the more units you have, about Lionwhyte and onward, the battle becomes really chaotic and quite confusing. The selection of the solos and the units you want to make also feels a bit stiff. Many times I accidentally selected the wrong solo in battle and it caused me frustration. These factors make the stage battles harder than they should be and much less fun, even though I have to admit I love the units you can summon.
    All in all, I can recommend the game for metal fans, because they'll love the everything about the game's setting and the songs. It's worth enduring the frustrating problems, but those do bring down the score.
    Oh and there's graphics, Not cryengine or unreal 3, but I don't really care about graphics as long as the game has a good style and enjoyable content. and this one has even with it's flaws.
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    First and foremost this is a game by heavy metal fans for heavy metal fans. It takes a few different gaming elements, hack-n-slash, driving and RTS, and mixes them together with a healthy dose of attitude and playfulness. Sadly there isn't a single element in the game that hasn't been done better before but the end result is still very likeable, as are the characters in it. As for theFirst and foremost this is a game by heavy metal fans for heavy metal fans. It takes a few different gaming elements, hack-n-slash, driving and RTS, and mixes them together with a healthy dose of attitude and playfulness. Sadly there isn't a single element in the game that hasn't been done better before but the end result is still very likeable, as are the characters in it. As for the music, well if you love metal it's just the best that's ever been featured in any game ever. If you don't then this game probably isn't for you anyway.

I really like this game but can't honestly give it a higher score than 6. Consider it a sort of average. If you're a metal fan with a healthy sense of humour add 1-2 and buy it, otherwise take off 1-2 and stay away.
  4. Mar 8, 2013
    It's an average button masher. Apart from the awesome setting, the insane music, the characters and humor i see nothing outstanding, nothing that would give this game a boost above games such as DMC or Darksiders. That being said, in a short period of gameplay i found quite a few bugs, artifacts and glitches. Nothing to cripple gameplay, mind you, but they annoyed the hell out of me. TheIt's an average button masher. Apart from the awesome setting, the insane music, the characters and humor i see nothing outstanding, nothing that would give this game a boost above games such as DMC or Darksiders. That being said, in a short period of gameplay i found quite a few bugs, artifacts and glitches. Nothing to cripple gameplay, mind you, but they annoyed the hell out of me. The gameplay mechanic is sort of clunky and unpolished, but it's a port so that was to be expected. It's a good game but nothing spectacular. Expand
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    Brutal Legends greatest flaws are more based around poorly attempted RTS gameplay during massive battles as well as poor optimization and a bunch and a bunch of bugs, Yet despite all the flaws and sometimes flat dull humor the game manages to bring in this special kind of charming that compels you to continue playing with a very metal story line and great voice acting and cameos from someBrutal Legends greatest flaws are more based around poorly attempted RTS gameplay during massive battles as well as poor optimization and a bunch and a bunch of bugs, Yet despite all the flaws and sometimes flat dull humor the game manages to bring in this special kind of charming that compels you to continue playing with a very metal story line and great voice acting and cameos from some of the best well knowing metal artists, ozzy being one and having one of the BEST soundtracks ever created for a game, yet not quite as good as the soundtrack to hotline Miami i award Brutal Legend with a modest 7/10 for bringing back to the true Child of Stan for which i have kept buried until now. Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    I just finished the game. Though it is a great metal tribute the gameplay feels really messy to me. If you don't expect it to be a great game you will have lots of fun.
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    Hi there, i really wished for this game for pc, im so into Double fine games and i like hard rock, however, it is a mixed bag:

What's good: -Nice Graphics. -Nice Characters. -Nice Bandwidth. -Creative opening. -Nice Story. -A roaming world. -Creative enemies. -Some cameos and jokes are pretty funny. What's bad -A bit repetitive (specially secondary mission). -So so control.

What's good:
    -Nice Graphics.
    -Nice Characters.
    -Nice Bandwidth.
    -Creative opening.
    -Nice Story.
    -A roaming world.
    -Creative enemies.
    -Some cameos and jokes are pretty funny.

What's bad
    -A bit repetitive (specially secondary mission).
    -So so control.
    -Metal yes, but not enough hard to gets punk (it is my opinion).

What's ugly
    -It is really hard to know what are my troops and what are the enemy troops.
    -Sometimes, it is really hard to know what to do.
    -The strategy part is a mess.

However, sadly, the strategy part really ruins the entire game play.
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    I would love to give this game a 10 score. The music, the setting, the incredibly fun story and great casting makes for a true masterpiece.

However, the game fails in it's convoluted mechanics and controls. It's awesome to battle with axe and guitar, but the controls are clumsy. This goes especially for The Deuce (car), which is really hard to maneuver and outright frustrating in some stages.

Last but not least, the game gets really tangled in it's mechanics towards the end, in the stage battles and such. This overrall makes for a not so good experience.

This game is worth every buck for it's story and tribute to rock n'roll alone, but let's not mistake it for something it isn't: the lack of polish shows.
  9. Mar 4, 2013
    Such a tragedy. I can understand all ratings between 0 and 7, but the 8-10 is just plain wrong. The game itself is bad. The Action parts are few and not outstanding, but still the best the game has to offer gamewise. The driving parts are horrible because the driving physics are the worst i have seen in ages. The strategy parts are a nice idea but the controls are garbage. Who wants toSuch a tragedy. I can understand all ratings between 0 and 7, but the 8-10 is just plain wrong. The game itself is bad. The Action parts are few and not outstanding, but still the best the game has to offer gamewise. The driving parts are horrible because the driving physics are the worst i have seen in ages. The strategy parts are a nice idea but the controls are garbage. Who wants to play a RTS where he cant control his units fluently? No one. Still the game has something that makes up for all the failures: The setting. Yes, I love Metal. And this game is such a great tribute to Metal, and it even does it in an intelligent way mostly. On Top of that the Characters are the best i have seen in Games for a while. A lovely bunch of Metalheads all around. I would give this a 10 out of 10 if it was a movie, but the actual playing part sucks so hard that it gets down to 5. And much difference to a movie isnt there anyway, since the game is only about 4-5 hours long. Expand
  10. Mar 18, 2013
    I really was excited about this game after playing Psychonauts. Psychonauts was so weird and cool, and a metal game coming next?! It was a dream come true! I like Tenacious D and Jack Black playing the main character in Brutal Legend sounded cool; however, this game is no Psychonauts. It's strongly on rails, you go where the next quest is supposed to be, and you shoot stuff with your car.I really was excited about this game after playing Psychonauts. Psychonauts was so weird and cool, and a metal game coming next?! It was a dream come true! I like Tenacious D and Jack Black playing the main character in Brutal Legend sounded cool; however, this game is no Psychonauts. It's strongly on rails, you go where the next quest is supposed to be, and you shoot stuff with your car. Yeah, it's that bad. The song that you're listening to is probably not even over when you get there. It has a good soundtrack. This game is basically a pile of dook, tho. Have fun! Expand
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    I like the idea of this game. The Developers did not have the same resources as bigger companies making sandbox games, like Volition, Rockstar Gaming or Ubisoft, and i actually think they knew that. What they've done with this game is trying to make it a little different from other sandbox games. For example you can do commands by playing guitar soloes, and if you fail the solo yourI like the idea of this game. The Developers did not have the same resources as bigger companies making sandbox games, like Volition, Rockstar Gaming or Ubisoft, and i actually think they knew that. What they've done with this game is trying to make it a little different from other sandbox games. For example you can do commands by playing guitar soloes, and if you fail the solo your command won't work. This idea is very good, and i haven't seen anything likely before. The way you pick your solo is just pretty clumsy, and when you're in a stressed combat you most likely hit the wrong command.
    There are different things in the game which i feel is a little clumsy, and the above is just an example.
    As i said earlier i like the idea of this game, but for some reason i don't really get catched by the game, and i don't really enjoy playing it.
    And considering what the game contains, i'd say the 19€ Steam price is pretty overpriced. Luckily for me i got it in a Humble Bundle. But if you can't get it on some kind of nice discount i'd recommend looking for another sandbox game.
    https://www.g2a.com/r/web This site sells Far Cry 3 UPLAY code for 12€, which is a GREAT sandbox game
  12. Dec 7, 2013
    Interesting idea with mediocre execution. Trying to take in successful elements of other good games, but the team probably wasn't given enough time to work it through, and the end product is quite crude/simplistic in a lot of aspects. Also what I really dislike is the story-writing. Although I know Double Fine is a kind of known for focus on story, you just *can't compare big games withInteresting idea with mediocre execution. Trying to take in successful elements of other good games, but the team probably wasn't given enough time to work it through, and the end product is quite crude/simplistic in a lot of aspects. Also what I really dislike is the story-writing. Although I know Double Fine is a kind of known for focus on story, you just *can't compare big games with indie-games*, just like you can't compare Hollywood blockbusters with indie movies. In such kind of huge production, story is always the secondary element, and is probably rushed or hacked in order to fit some "gaming experience". At least in this story there exist quite a few inconsistencies/unsatisfactory plots that have sparkled debates online(well to me I think it's purely due to mediocre story-writing and nothing to be discussed seriously about). True, this kind of big game is mainly some entertainment product aimed at the mass market and is not intended to be treated as serious literature, but I still find the plot leaves much to be desired. Oversimplified progressions drive the story forward and the biggest plot twist is basically nonsensical and ridiculous. Also there is the thing that the ending is *clearly rushed*. I know that they have deadlines like we do and even the greatest RPG games suffer from similar problems, but it's still a kind of unfulfilling.

With the above said, the overall the rock n' roll(specifically, heavy metal) feeling and so-called Double Fine humor(which I'm not really a fan of, as the same case in Psychonauts) is quite prevalent throughout. And if you are a fan of either of them this game is definitely worth trying. I actually find the game optimization quite acceptable. In my MacbookAir 2012 I can run the game quite smoothly with some of the special effects off.
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    Well, I recently bought the game off steam last weekend and I have been thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I love the guest appearances by the legends of rock throughout the game; gives the game a nostalgic feeling. The story line is pretty decent for what the game is, which is; a battleaxe wielding guitar shredding bad-ass slaying demons, which if you've seen any of Jack Blacks' Movies youWell, I recently bought the game off steam last weekend and I have been thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I love the guest appearances by the legends of rock throughout the game; gives the game a nostalgic feeling. The story line is pretty decent for what the game is, which is; a battleaxe wielding guitar shredding bad-ass slaying demons, which if you've seen any of Jack Blacks' Movies you can pretty much see where ideas were pull from and then was placed into this game. The soundtrack is fantastic; there's nothing like beating down some legions and listening to Mötley Crüe or Manowar to get you in the mood. The game-play could use some work; I often find myself struggling to dodge while targeting and find this game at times to be more controller friendly even though it is on the PC. By dodging I don't solely mean the NPC I am on but other baddies around me as well. Upgrading Eddy was always fun to see the new abilities you would get and how that would affect you slaying the demons. I feel the same way about upgrading the Deuce. I do like the cut-scenes in the game, none of them got truly excessive and, if they were, they had a purpose to the game. The overall environmental and the blending of Rock attributes to the environment was fantastic, I mean exhaust pipe trees and spiders that spin metal guitar strings...haha awesome! Expand
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    Brutal Legend does a lot of things right. The visual design is great, the voice acting is nice, the dialogues are quite fun and the story is for the most part pretty good. Everything in the games presentation really screams out charming and the developers should have an applaud for that.

The gameplay is however a little uneven. The gameplay can be divided into three different categories. Fighting, driving and rts.

Fighting The fighting in this game works quite alright even though it never really shines. The presentation of it is quite nice,gorey and charming. The actual combat is however simply alright and perhaps a bit too simplistic. It is nice though that you can unlock new moves and the fact that you can battle with your guitar is a nice touch.

Driving The driving looks really cool but the car doesn't really handle all that well. Which is a shame since the car looks really cool and its tough that you can customize it to your liking. I would also like to see more race missions since i found it to be pretty enjoyable to drive around the beautiful world despite the vehicle handling.

RTS Doesn't really work very well. At first i found the rts-levels to be boring and a waste of time simply because of how easy they were. Later in the game however the difficulty goes up and short-comings of the entire systems becomes more apparent. Easy tasks becomes a chore because of the tiresome console rts mechanics. The stage battles are also extremely scripted, simplistic and lacks depth. This might be borderline acceptable on a console but its totally unacceptable on a pc. The games annoying checkpoint-system doesn't help either.

Brutal Legend was for me despite its charm quite average. The games campaign is about 8 hours long and i would recommend it for a cheap price simply because of its great presentation and charm. People who are really into rock will probably enjoy it more than i. Be aware though that the gameplay could be a whole lot better even though it works fine for the most part.
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    Double Fine często zaskakuje nas pomysłami, tak było i teraz. Takiego klimatu Rocka może pozazdrościć nawet Guitar Hero, do tego świetnie wpasowany Jack Black, ta gra nie mogła się nie udać. Brutal Legend jest na prawdę ciekawą grą, wiele nawiązań do gwiazd rocka czy Rock&Rolla, fajny klimacik i główny bohater. Wszystko było by super gdyby nie to że Double Fine lubi kombinować, i w tymDouble Fine często zaskakuje nas pomysłami, tak było i teraz. Takiego klimatu Rocka może pozazdrościć nawet Guitar Hero, do tego świetnie wpasowany Jack Black, ta gra nie mogła się nie udać. Brutal Legend jest na prawdę ciekawą grą, wiele nawiązań do gwiazd rocka czy Rock&Rolla, fajny klimacik i główny bohater. Wszystko było by super gdyby nie to że Double Fine lubi kombinować, i w tym wypadku wręcz za bardzo przekombinował. Połączenie hack'n slasha z grą coś w stylu taktycznej to nie najlepsze rozwiązanie. Wiem że wiele osób może się dobrze bawić, jednak takie połączenie nie jest dobrze uznane. Do tego graficzne gra strasznie odstaje do konkurencji(tak wiem że nadeszło to dopiero po 4 latach na PC, ale czemu nie wcześniej? a nawet czemu DF nie poprawiło znacznie tej grafiki?), dochodzą do tego jeszcze nudne(nie wszystkie) misje po około połowie gry, po której twórcy zrezygnowali z większości poprzednich pomysłów. Widać bardzo nie wykorzystany potencjał rozgrywki jak i lepiej nie wykorzystany klimat Rocka. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand

1. Sep 12, 2013
    If you look at its style and atmosphere, Brütal Legend is the amazing journey into the depth of the metal fan's soul. However, the game itself is not so special - stereotypical missions, not very optimized controls but mainly its malfunction game mechanics preventing Tim Schafer to reach the Metal Mount Olympus. Anyway, the game is working and entertaining at the same time. And that is the most important thing about this game title.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s like a frantic, crazy rock festival: you might have lost your shoes, you might have fuzzy recollections of vomiting, but you can’t wait to go back right in, as soon as possible. That’s what Brutal Legend’s all about. [April 2013]
  3. May 20, 2013
    I'll readily admit that I think Brutal Legend's style outweighs the substance of the game, but dammit, why should apologize for liking it more than I probably should?