7.5

1. Dec 26, 2010
    this the worst driving game of it's kind.every street looks like an interstate highway.a total lack of imagination. the menus are confusing you can slam the car into a brick wall at top speed and it still goes. the music is one is for those with limited taste.and i hate GnR. not arcade enough for an arcade racer. not real enough for a simulator.i did one race and drove around a bit. and saw no need to go farther.this game is for those who live to rack up scores they want to post and brag about,not for me. this is why driving games are so bad these days people give high score to junk like this. Expand
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    I'm rating this a zero, not because it deserves a zero but because half the reviews here were obviously written by EA employees. The game probably gets a 5. The graphics are good but pretty standard for a modern racing game. The soundtrack has a few good tracks but mostly sucks. They have about an hours worth of classical music for no good reason. Anyone who says this was a quality port is lying to you. This was a very lazy job, the menus are completely designed for a controller and make no use of the mouse. You have to press F1 and F2 to switch between menus this took me 5 minutes to discover. The cut-scenes are constant, useless, and unskipable. You will want to punch the "Radio DJ" in the face the first time you hear him and it only get's worse from there. Probably the worst part of the game is the handling of the cars. It's about on par with GTA which is sad for a game whose only purpose is driving. The races are extremely easy. The only time you will lose is if you go the wrong way or crash a lot, and even then you will usually win. All in all the game can be fun at times, it's good for a 10 minute break of mindless crashing, but there isn't much meat here. Expand
  3. Sep 8, 2013
    Very disappointing. The game looks good enough, especially with ENB, but that's about all it has going for it. Criterion purport the idea of race events on a free roam map as something new, "unlike any other driving experience", even though Need for Speed Underground 2 and Test Drive Unlimited had both done similar things prior to its release. All events are extremely easy, and with no difficulty option (at least not one I could find in the ill-conceived labyrinthine menu system), the game soon becomes very dull.

In-game advertisements are a spit in the face from the developers. Perhaps it would be understandable if the game were free to play, or if it were trying to emulate a "real world", but it's not. These were clearly only put in for profit, not an attempt at realism, since the game is set in a fictional city and none of the cars are licensed. I paid for the game I don't want to see Burger King and EVGA advertisements while playing it.

Various elements of the game are at cross-purposes with each other. Events are put at every intersection, supposedly to cut down on monotony and so there's never an event too far away, but the races aren't gated and the route isn't highlighted on the map as with other arcade racers, which means you have to open your map at the beginning of each race and spend time planning your route. You can't jump to events either, which, in the case of Burning Route events, often means you have to drive halfway across the map just to begin a race.

On the topic of Burning Route events; the game boasts a range of 75 cars, when in actuality, in terms of unique vehicles there is about half that, with the other half being practically carbon-copies with different paint jobs which are rewarded after completing time trials. By the end of the game, you'll only be using about 3 of the cars anyway (the best in each category; stunt, aggression and speed), since the others are relatively useless.

The soundtrack is awful. For reasons unknown to anyone but the developers, there are 3 different styles of music in this game; pop/rock songs, instrumental songs from the three previous Burnout games, and classical compositions. The loudness levels are not normalized either, which means that some songs are barely audible while others are quite loud. The "CrashFM" DJ is obnoxious and detestable.

There are many other annoyances, but I think I've made my point already. Does this game deserve a rating of 3/10? No, but it doesn't deserve the inflated rating of 7.6/10 either.
  4. Dec 10, 2011
    Why: Ok first, this game is nothing like what the past games where. This one went all "racing" on us, instead of burnouts trademark crashes and takedowns. Second, while your driving, the game freezes at random spots so an imbred narrator can talk to you about the obvious. such as: "jump the ramps for points!". OK CAPTAIN OBVIOUS. This game is junk. I want my money back. Burnout 1-3 was good. The rest, nope. Did i mention the game is lifeless? Its so unreal its not even funny! So, you look into your car or others, and noone is there. Ghost car? And nobody walks on the street. This game is horrible.I hope its the last burnout now. Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    So many shill reviews here. Clearly a console port, with the irritating menus you'd expect. Couldn't play for long as I had to re-install windows and that broke the activation. Avoid EA games for this reason.
  6. Aug 25, 2012
    Unfortunately this game doesn't have anything that the Burnout name has come with gearing more towards racing and less towards the causing of mayhem and destruction. A bitter disappointment in that field alone it only gets a four because the graphics for the time were alright and it isn't an absolutely terrible racing game.
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    Fan of the previous burnout games? I was too. Sadly, you will not be enjoying this SLOPPY, terribly made version.

There isn't enough Guns N Roses on Earth to make this game appealing to any real Burnout fans...

Maybe next time.... maybe...
  8. Oct 17, 2013
    Imagine Paradise City by Guns and Roses, but on repeat.... FOR EVER.... Does that sound awesome? If it does then maybe this wont be like licking a dead dogs anus to you. To me, it's kind of like being trapped in a city of ripe and festering cheese that's slowly weeping onto the top of my noggin. Call we weird but I don't want to pay for that, that's not my thing.
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is awesome but why aren't I able to access DLCs? Rather than the DLC problem, the game itself is nice! Nice graphics, damage visuals, and a ton of cars. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2012
    This game is awful compare to Burnout 3: Takedown or Revenge. This game plays more like a modern racing game instead of a burnout game and don't have the feel of a burnout game. What made me most annoyed was the races has been slowed down as a normal racing game. I remember burnout to be the super fast racing game, that actually was and felt fast in comparison to something like Need For Speed. Another thing that's annoying is the open world, it's like comparing Need For Speed Underground with Underground 2. Open-world racing games gets extremely BORING after a while (it's fun in the beginning). Then on top of all, you can't not restart a race in burnout paradise WTF.

This is the WORST in the series, hands down. a SHAME.
  11. Oct 21, 2013
    F U C K Y O U M E T A C R I T I C Y O U A R E T H E W O R S T f u c k y o u y o u l y i n g m a d e u p s h t t y f a l s e r e v e i w as su ck d ea d me ns c o cks
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    Worst Burnout EVER.
    The radio DJ is annoying as hell, and you can't skip it. You can't crash, or it'll take you 10 seconds of slow motion where you can't do anything. Worst if you do a Takedown, there's a slow-mo where your car is in autopilot and you can't skip it, it totally break the game flow, just awful.
    And where unlocking a new car should be cool and rewarding, it's annoying
    because of the 2 15 seconds presentation just to say "congrats you unlock a car" that you CAN'T SKIP!
    Graphics are kinda nice, but lake imagination. Otherwise, controls SUCKS, and the gameplay is AWFUL (lose a race? gotta go back to the beginning, because the menu will not give you the option to stop it or restart or anything...). Way too much slow-mo.
    It may not deserve a 0, but no more than 3, and seeing all the other 10 or 9 and the description, I'll just guess some EA or criterion dev post these comments.
  13. Sep 15, 2013
    I find this game to be terribly frustrating. To me, the Burnout series has been about driving skill, quick reactions and has always provided adrenaline fuelled moments. But I feel these things have been put on the back burner to route finding and city memorization. I don't have the time to learn all the streets of yet another virtual city, and so I often lose races simply because I took a wrong turn. The map is very small and there are no visual clues in the city that show a suggested route you could take to get to your goal. Temporary road markers would be fine, anything so I don't have to learn the entire city just to know which way I should be going. Which way to go is not something I want to consider when playing an arcade style racing games. And you have to drive around looking for things to do, I don't have time for this! Just let me select from a list.
    You got a new a new car delivered to the junkyard! Great! Where is it? No idea. You know what, I'm not going to go to the map, try and work out which icon is the junk yard, meticulously memorize a route to get there (as I couldn't find a way to set way points). I'm not going to do that. I'll just not play any more.

If open-world city racing sounds like fun to you and you have time on your hands, you'll probably love it. If, like me, you don't have a whole lot of time to burn and you just want to get straight into some no-nonsense racing, I would avoid it.

Also, the store is never available, and I don't know why. It teases you me content I can't actually buy, even if i wanted to.
  14. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is absolute trash. I spent more time sitting through videos (and listening to Paradise City from GNR play over and over) that I was not able to skip than I did actually playing. That is how much this game pissed me off. If I would have actually spent money on it I think I would of lost my mind.
  15. May 14, 2014
    A big waste of money. It looked good from the outside, but the UI is the worst I have ever encountered, to the point where the game felt like a virus. It actually seems to be designed to function how it does, so I applaud the devs on "completing" the UI, even though it isn't user friendly and lacks all the functions you would expect in a completed UI, such as a Quit Game button, or a configuration option for key bindings, the display and audio etc

As for what you get in the game, the beginning cut scenes are completely unnecessary and explain nothing you can't see on screen, as they do not relate to either a story or character you would expect them to be a sort of tutorial. They also cannot be skipped.
    The controls are not obvious and as previously stated, there does not seem to be a way to consult the game to find out how to play. What is even worse is that since you can't alt-tab out (Can't even access the Task Manager), you can't look up the controls on the internet either. The car you start off with is also rather ugly and caters to people who think a large exhaust pipe and spoilers are cool when driving slower than 250Km/h.

Overall impression? A terribly designed game that caters to boy racers you would expect to call the police on, not a decent racing game in the slightest.
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    Worst Burnout EVER.
    And where unlocking a new car should be cool and rewarding, it's annoying

1. First ever PC version of Burnout is a perfect example of a modern racing game in an open world with all the essentials that players want. No need for C-grade actresses at all. [Issue#174, Jan 2009]
  2. For true next-gen arcade racing thrills Burnout Paradise is most definitely your best option, and on PC your only option.
    If you're willing to put in the time, there's plenty of content here to enjoy, including getting a handle on how all the various car models control and boost. For gamers looking for a different kind of high-speed racer or anyone's who has yet to experience the thrill Criterion's Burnout series provides, this is a solid choice.