7.5

1. Aug 16, 2013
    Origin isn't required to play (single), so it's not a big issue to me. But the amount of menus, additional tabs and irrationaly long cut-scenes before you could even start a game are spoiling the otherwise pretty good arcade racing game. It's a shame, really and often wears your patience off very fast... 5 tabs of the menus when you press escape, you navigate with...f1 and f2! WithOrigin isn't required to play (single), so it's not a big issue to me. But the amount of menus, additional tabs and irrationaly long cut-scenes before you could even start a game are spoiling the otherwise pretty good arcade racing game. It's a shame, really and often wears your patience off very fast... 5 tabs of the menus when you press escape, you navigate with...f1 and f2! With build-in store, even if you play offline. Game reminds you to create an origin account constantly. It's not worth your nerves and sanity to go through all this, there's plenty of better arcade racing games out there without this kind of buggers. Expand
  2. May 15, 2013
    The removal of borders and road blocks gave the game a free feel and made it something rare in a game non linear.

I do not like how you have to seek out repair stations and the radio is filled with songs I do not like. I was a fan of the old linear burnout games and I do miss selecting a mode and just going instead of driving around looking for missions I want to do as my favorite is

I was a fan of the old linear burnout games and I do miss selecting a mode and just going instead of driving around looking for missions I want to do as my favorite is road rage and least favorite is raced I also enjoy Marked man.

For people looking for a racing game that feels like it has some innovation this isnt bad and coming from someone who doesn't care for the racing genre.

I would give the game a higher score but its a console port with a wacky menu and carries the stench of EA as it repeatedly asked for my EA account information which yes I had one but it was only for the old republic which I no longer play and for reasons that do not matter here I do not like EA.

Graphics are ok for its time kind of bland and lifeless for now.

- pts for annoying guy that tells you things over the radio.
  3. JayH
    Apr 12, 2009
    This game is perfect until you get about half way through and you just replay the same things over and over again each time you upgrade your license. It gets VERY repetitive and tedious, often frustrating. Also when you get up to about a Class A license, all races turn into takedowns so not only do you need to focus on racing and making the turns, but also the extremely aggressive AI. A This game is perfect until you get about half way through and you just replay the same things over and over again each time you upgrade your license. It gets VERY repetitive and tedious, often frustrating. Also when you get up to about a Class A license, all races turn into takedowns so not only do you need to focus on racing and making the turns, but also the extremely aggressive AI. A good game for a couple hours, but I just can't put up with it anymore and it will remain unfinished. Expand
  4. Jul 30, 2014
    Graphic is nice and the game is much fun to play.

> PROS The world is pretty big and heterogeneous, maybe just with a bit too much "shortcuts". Cars are either accurate (I felt like I was driving a proper Lancer) or funny (in a good way). Challenges are as they should be, easy at start and hard (but still not insane) toward the end of the game. You get to listen even classical music
    Graphic is nice and the game is much fun to play.

> PROS
    You get to listen even classical music on the "radio" and so music is good...

> CONS
    Sadly the login/login-server system is a huge mess (couldn't ever connect to game-servers because the game crashed if I tried so).
    Running through the city is fun but not being able to pick a race without moving to the starting location "manually" is a bit stressing after 5+ total hours played. Also, to compete "equally" in every type of race you have often to change your current car for another (moving to one of the "bases")... additional stress.
    The menu system is just plainly wrong and confusing.

To recap, the game itself is quite good and enjoyable but it's still a console port and most of the cons come from that.
  5. WillS.
    May 29, 2009
    This is one of those clasic games that has gotten many mixed reviews (and EA's typical at times blunder on sacrifcing features of games that were there on previous versions just to push a product out quicker I suspect) I was hoping that this version would have crash mode returned to us fans but again its mainly just a port nothing really new to get me to buy it again. While the This is one of those clasic games that has gotten many mixed reviews (and EA's typical at times blunder on sacrifcing features of games that were there on previous versions just to push a product out quicker I suspect) I was hoping that this version would have crash mode returned to us fans but again its mainly just a port nothing really new to get me to buy it again. While the racing parts are still just as good as burnout 3 I am getting that feeling of dissapointment with this version as it starts reminding of some of the need for speed games that got boring real quick. Maybe its because they borrowed some of the need for speed develpoers :) but if there is another sequel to come please bring us crash mode back and stop the repetivness (fillers to make the game seem longer, another typicall EA strategy) and put some real work into it this time. Taking out crash mode is like buying a Challenger without the Hemi... whats the point :) Think I will go play some Burnout 3 now. Expand
  6. Aug 18, 2013
    Burnout 3 is one of my favorite racing games, and this changed to much for me to like it. No crash mode, and the open world of Paradise City just makes racing more confusing and less fun.
  7. RonP
    Apr 2, 2009
    a e-mail I sent sums it up I will be on uninstalling your game and will post recommendations on the fourms at steam for people to do the same. Because of constant online issues not being able to connect to servers and issues concerning stuttering and freezing. You could at least post something to tell people that you're working on the problem but all we hear is silence so therefore a e-mail I sent sums it up I will be on uninstalling your game and will post recommendations on the fourms at steam for people to do the same. Because of constant online issues not being able to connect to servers and issues concerning stuttering and freezing. You could at least post something to tell people that you're working on the problem but all we hear is silence so therefore you will be deleted we only play with games that work. Your game obviously has some ways to go before fits that description. Relying on EA to do your troubleshooting is a joke, we get the same emails from them over and over and over again. Expand
  8. Nov 3, 2013
    I played Burnout 3 for 300 hours at least, loved every minute of it, and consider it the pinnacle of skill-based racing games. I played this game for five hours and then uninstalled. The city is mind-numbingly generic, the drifting that was essential to doing well in the third game is nowhere near as necessary, the crashes are less interesting, and the soundtrack is subpar. Could be a niceI played Burnout 3 for 300 hours at least, loved every minute of it, and consider it the pinnacle of skill-based racing games. I played this game for five hours and then uninstalled. The city is mind-numbingly generic, the drifting that was essential to doing well in the third game is nowhere near as necessary, the crashes are less interesting, and the soundtrack is subpar. Could be a nice game if you aren't looking for skill-based racing, but to a hardcore gamer it feels generic and boring. Expand
  9. Jan 25, 2014
    Not as good as Burnout 3: Takedown. It's a real shame because it just feels like the devs spent all their time building the best foundation they could possibly make and then failed to build anything on top of it. The core elements of the game - the way the cars drive, the hilarious (and anti-realistic) physics, the sense of speed the game is capable of creating - 100% genius, seriously.Not as good as Burnout 3: Takedown. It's a real shame because it just feels like the devs spent all their time building the best foundation they could possibly make and then failed to build anything on top of it. The core elements of the game - the way the cars drive, the hilarious (and anti-realistic) physics, the sense of speed the game is capable of creating - 100% genius, seriously. But this game is crippled by a lack of content (there are only like 6 races in the game despite the 100's of events at all of the different intersections, and racing is the only thing most people want to do in this game) despite the large size of the city, and its console roots. The interface is terrible for a PC game - sometimes it just simply will not work unless you use your keyboard. I haven't figured out how to get the multiplayer working, but if it was easier, I could play this game with my Steam friends and that would be awesome (assuming there was more content to work with). Stock key bindings are garbage - stick to the GTA IV layout and put boost on shift - so much easier.

In terms of playing the game, I agree with other reviewers, having to navigate and drive at the same time is slightly more frustrating than it is rewarding. In rally sport, drivers are not expected to navigate at the same time, and in Formula 1, the track is a single route, like Burnout 3 Takedown. It makes the game mentally challenging in a non-traditional way. Missing a turn isn't necessarily the end of the world, as the city is grid-like enough that you can afford to, but it "breaks immersion" as they say, to have to bring up the map mid-race and sit there and carefully plot your moves (since the minimap is almost useless).

Overall, I have to say, this is such a great game, but I've put about 4 hours into it and that's about all I can do.
  10. Dec 27, 2013
    I enjoyed the different types of challenges this game presented, though I found myself getting bored of the repetitiveness as well as not seeing a big enough difference in the handling of cars I acquired. I rarely felt challenged on races and stunt areas were either too obvious and restricting or not enough. I also didn't like the fact that I could hit the wrong button and suddenly startI enjoyed the different types of challenges this game presented, though I found myself getting bored of the repetitiveness as well as not seeing a big enough difference in the handling of cars I acquired. I rarely felt challenged on races and stunt areas were either too obvious and restricting or not enough. I also didn't like the fact that I could hit the wrong button and suddenly start tumbling through the air trying to cause damage with my "wreck" that I didn't want to start in the first place. It's worth a sale price, but I wanted more. Expand
  11. Nov 24, 2014
    Back in my PS2 days I owned Burnout 2 and Takedown and loved the games - played them to bits. When I saw this was up for grabs on a Steam sale I jumped at the chance.

The game is not quite what I was expecting. It's very different to what I thought it would be. That's not to say some of the changes are not for the better, but on the other hand, some aren't. Graphics look brilliant,

Graphics look brilliant, and the cars still have that same Burnout "feel" to them. The game modes all make a return too - but this time in an open world map. Think NFSU 2 and you will be on the right tracks. This is great, but you seem to spent a lot of time driving around for no reason. I would much prefer to just race and perform the stages without this unnecessary addition. The races themselves also suffer from the same problem of being given too much freedom - you will accidentally go the wrong way because you are concentrating on driving and not constantly looking at the map.

O yes, and no 2 player split screen? Not good :-(

Bar the problems I have with it though, it's still a good game. Burnout fans will find something to their liking here.

Jimbo Rating: 5/10
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    Burnout paradise is an ok racing game. The city is big and fun to explore. There are some "collectibles" for the player to find which is always nice. The cars handles for the most part pretty good and the visuals are nice. What burnout lack however is variety. There aren't a whole lot of different tracks and the campaign is based around playing the same track over and over again againstBurnout paradise is an ok racing game. The city is big and fun to explore. There are some "collectibles" for the player to find which is always nice. The cars handles for the most part pretty good and the visuals are nice. What burnout lack however is variety. There aren't a whole lot of different tracks and the campaign is based around playing the same track over and over again against tougher opponents. Which gets a bit repetitive. The fact that there aren't a whole lot of different racing modes doesn't help. Some other stuff i am missing in the game is the option to restart a race during or after the race, turning off the cinematic view and the option to fast travel to the racing event.The game is still an enjoyable racing game and if you are looking for an arcade racing game for a couple of hours fun then burnout is the game for you. Expand
  13. AWG
    Aug 15, 2013
    A very good game (I love the open world and the graphics), but a very very lazy port (irritating console-styled menus and no achievements). Feels great for a while but then you're not really pushed to keep trying the same races over and over again.
  14. Aug 16, 2013
    Where the hell is crash mode? Cars that moves by themselves in showtime?? Where's burnout?? Even the first one what better than this!
    This is a racing game gone bad, crashes are no more the most important thing in this game.
    Some kind of a Need For Speed with cars damage.
    The free run mode is the only nice thing.
    5/10.
  15. Jul 15, 2016
    This is a good game and a worthy successor of Burnout 3, but little issues here and there bother me a lot. Open world sounds fun, but is in fact the biggest mistake of this game IMO. It means you have to stare at the map all the time when you're racing so you can't focus on what's happening on the screen. The best element of Burnout 3 - Aftertouch got removed. You have to buy extra DLCsThis is a good game and a worthy successor of Burnout 3, but little issues here and there bother me a lot. Open world sounds fun, but is in fact the biggest mistake of this game IMO. It means you have to stare at the map all the time when you're racing so you can't focus on what's happening on the screen. The best element of Burnout 3 - Aftertouch got removed. You have to buy extra DLCs for a bunch of cars that aren't included in THE ULTIMATE BOX. Don't call it ULTIMATE if you aren't including all DLCs in it! The pop punk soundtrack is still annoying.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot. Very disappointed hat EA is not going to let Criterion make another Burnout game.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    First ever PC version of Burnout is a perfect example of a modern racing game in an open world with all the essentials that players want. No need for C-grade actresses at all. [Issue#174, Jan 2009]
  2. For true next-gen arcade racing thrills Burnout Paradise is most definitely your best option, and on PC your only option.
    If you're willing to put in the time, there's plenty of content here to enjoy, including getting a handle on how all the various car models control and boost. For gamers looking for a different kind of high-speed racer or anyone's who has yet to experience the thrill Criterion's Burnout series provides, this is a solid choice.