8.5

1. Oct 27, 2013
    Am I the only one who enjoys cod4 multiplayer more than Team Fortress 2 after the Uber Update?
  2. Jan 7, 2014
    it is an awesome game probably the last one or one of the last good call of duty game. now they are doing some crap stuff with the call of duty games but they were doing awesome game before how this happened but this game as beautifull graphics it's a very good game at my eyes can't blame this game yes it is a litlle short but it still deserve a 10/10
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    This is a brilliant game and it very enjoyable. Finally the setting has changed so no more WW2 but the beginning of WW3. The characters are also great and overall it is a thrilling experience.
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    I had given up on finding a truly satisfying multi-player experience after Halo had dropped. This game got me back into gaming again. I tried the Battlefield series and still the game play feel of CoD is superior. I just wish COD4 was still as popular today as it was before.
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    The Call of Duty series since inception has been a title about high energy dramatic set pieces against a backdrop of World War II. Under the careful guidance of WWII digital veterans Infinity Ward the series dips its toe into the messy politics of the 21st century. Pacing is intensified over any previous installment as small sandbox set pieces are delivered in rapid succession giving fewThe Call of Duty series since inception has been a title about high energy dramatic set pieces against a backdrop of World War II. Under the careful guidance of WWII digital veterans Infinity Ward the series dips its toe into the messy politics of the 21st century. Pacing is intensified over any previous installment as small sandbox set pieces are delivered in rapid succession giving few moments of breath or contemplation to the gravity of unfolding events. Moving satellite photos and news reports thrust the player in and out of conflicts all over the globe never giving the player a chance to ever fully explore or tire of any location.

The world of Modern Warfare is vast, chaotic and chillingly relevant. The high octane set pieces are designed to rival anything Hollywood has tried to create at a high cost of not connecting with any individual characters you inhabit. Perhaps that is the point? Every character while in the moment is vitally trying to control an always out of control situation. The chain of circumstances begins with the execution of an unnamed middle eastern president who is gagged and partially blindfolded. His view becomes your own, as his restricted vision and mobility heighten our engagement with a war torn city as you
    are escorted to your death experienced first hand. The footage is shown to the world kick starting a world wide series of events that hosts post-September 11 fears tempered with the realities of US and Russian corruption.

The game never tires leading up to a terrifying nuclear detonation, the lack of mental breaks can bring on fatigue but definitely provides the template for a new genre of action experiences that Hollywood may one day mimic. Not an evolution of the action genre, but a dramatic off shoot that leaves little room to out extreme in the future without delving into the farcical or pure fantasy.
  6. Nov 14, 2013
    Best of the series. Great graphics, good map layouts, decent arsenal and fun fast paced action. Satisfiying Multiplayer experience. Even for today you can always come back to it and play. Golden times before IW turned into an money hoe.
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    I've played the fantastic campaign for this game multiple times and have spent many hours on the even-more-fantastic multiplayer. I've played all of the Call of Duty titles since and none of them have a campaign near as good as on Call of Duty 4, and only World at War comes close to being as fun as the multiplayer on this one.
  8. Mar 18, 2014
    best call of duty game that was ever made,6 games later and they still did not made a game that even can compete to this one. great great gameplay. hours of fun!
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    Also were able to do before Infinity Ward Call of-Duty. All on 10 points, nowhere reproach. The best part in the series! All those who did not play, running for a gamepad or keyboard!
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    COD4 multiplayer had a lot of unique features and PERKS that were balanced and gave fresh feel that had me keep coming back for many hours. Over the hours of play some people would find perks they found that other players had that were annoying but yet it played a roll in the balance of things and this IMHO was a key successor for most of my enjoyment. Being able to switch things up andCOD4 multiplayer had a lot of unique features and PERKS that were balanced and gave fresh feel that had me keep coming back for many hours. Over the hours of play some people would find perks they found that other players had that were annoying but yet it played a roll in the balance of things and this IMHO was a key successor for most of my enjoyment. Being able to switch things up and have fun and even doing lobbies with friends. Looking back I appreciate no care packages and the wide range of the maps some maps had choke points, some were round and open and there really was not a formula for maps like there is in their other installments. Overall the multiplayer had me hooked but the only downfall is the campaign can be slightly disappointing. Expand
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is the first COD game I ever owned. This is the only COD game i think is better then Battlefield. -Battlefield 4 But the reason it is so good is becuase you can connect to the characters in the campaign and also the modding community is amazing! It's so good they have such good mods eg. Star Wars mod and Prop hunt. The gameplay is spectacular and all the guns feel real. There were a few jumpy bits. Like in one of the missions dogs jump you. You can hear them but you can't see them. My favoraite mission is War Pig. I love seeing the AI being slaughtered in that mission.
    I recommend this game till the day I die. I will never forget this game!
  12. Dec 25, 2013
    There is only one word to say about this game: AWESOME. Infinity Ward did succeeded in getting rid of the old-fashion WWII-based script to create a whole new imaginary yet quite realistic world of wars and chaos, which impressed me completely. This is, for sure, the best game of the year
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    i am not a big fan of the call of duty franchise, but this game is completely different, the multi-player aspect is absolutely brilliant, especially the search and destroy game-mode, in my opinion even the best of the complete franchise. The single player mode is a bit short, but also brilliant. I've been playing this game for a couple of years now, and i still can't get enough of it.
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    I've played all Call of Duty games (yes, all!) and this is the crown jewel. It's simply one of the best games I've ever played. I've spent hours and hours playing it, and the fact that now in 2014 there are loads of people still out there playing multi-player says a lot. The only other COD game that comes close to the greatness of this game is MW2. The others are more or less forgettable.
  15. Feb 21, 2014
    2007 nyeonttae really huge impact and left a lingering game. Now a lot of time in the past, then the impact is not eternal but feel though that great masterpiece!
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    Bought it 6 years ago. 6 YEARS AGO. I'm still occasionally playing it to this day. Unlike recent cods, this game has an absolute amazing multiplayer gameplay, with maps in various different sizes and designs for all players except 64v64 madnesses.

Weapon balancing is great, leveling progression is somewhat decent. I'm dissapointed they didn't add prestiges for the PC version which is the reason I'm giving this an 8 instead of a 9 or 10.

Modding coudn't be less great! You want to play zombies? Okay, heres a server. You want to play promod? Okay, heres a server. You want to play paintball? Okay, heres a server!

IW did a great job on this game, but it really was the community which gave it such an excellent flavour.
  17. Apr 25, 2014
    I love this game. The multiplayer is fun and the single player is actually good. But since there is too many hackers, I can't have as much fun as I used to.
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    The only good Modern Warfare game. It has a great campaign mode and it's more original than the others. And it has the greatest Multiplayer without a doubt. There is nothing really original and useful innovation after this game. C'mon Activision!!
  19. Feb 28, 2014
    By far the best Call of Duty. It set a spark in the gaming world and to this day the same engine and graphics are used in the newest Call of Duties. Unlike every other Call of Duty title (except for the sequels) you actually want to do the campaign and the campaign is amazing at that. The multiplayer for this set the standard for all coming multiplayer games to live up to. I don't thinkBy far the best Call of Duty. It set a spark in the gaming world and to this day the same engine and graphics are used in the newest Call of Duties. Unlike every other Call of Duty title (except for the sequels) you actually want to do the campaign and the campaign is amazing at that. The multiplayer for this set the standard for all coming multiplayer games to live up to. I don't think the world of gaming would be the same without it and it is without a doubt a masterpiece. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2014
    one of the biggest most exciting game i have ever played . Call of duty series is the fun games i have ever played . there so much better and a lot fun . Grade A+
  21. Mar 9, 2014
    Can't believe this game is almost 7 years old. I have playd this game for years and for me CoD4 is the last real Call of Duty. Singleplayer campaign is really short, but for its time it was breathtaking. Multiplayer is the best part of this game. Promod is making it one of the best progaming titles of all the time and even if this game is not one of the most played mutliplayer FPSs now,Can't believe this game is almost 7 years old. I have playd this game for years and for me CoD4 is the last real Call of Duty. Singleplayer campaign is really short, but for its time it was breathtaking. Multiplayer is the best part of this game. Promod is making it one of the best progaming titles of all the time and even if this game is not one of the most played mutliplayer FPSs now, there is a lot of good servers where you cal play. Expand
  22. Mar 26, 2014
    The best call of duty ever!!!
    The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of duty ever!!! The best call of
  23. Jun 17, 2014
    Я считаю, что эта часть серии игр Call of Duty самая лучшая как по сюжету так и по multyplayer. Эта игра мне запомнилась миссией в, которой нужно спасти и нести генерала Милана когда его ноги сломала вертушка вражеского вертолета. Мультипеер очень интересный и прост в освоении.Я считаю, что эта часть серии игр Call of Duty самая лучшая как по сюжету так и по multyplayer. Эта игра мне запомнилась миссией в, которой нужно спасти и нести генерала Милана когда его ноги сломала вертушка вражеского вертолета. Мультипеер очень интересный и прост в освоении.
  24. Jul 11, 2014
    next to halo 3, the best mp game ever. after that all cod´s were ****
  25. Jul 22, 2014
    In my opinion the best call of duty in the series. The story is good the multiplayer is good and people are still playing it. I highly recommend getting it at full price and definitely on a sale.
  26. Aug 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. call of duty 4 modern warfare is the best game ever, the gameplay is fast and simple, so many weapons, very few cheats, maps of normal size and if you have a clan this game is for you Expand
  27. Aug 21, 2014
    10/10 it was Alright - ihaterunescape1
    I have a tiny penis, now the game play was **** my score was **** my mum told me i was a noob camper and took the controller and played it herself, i haven't been able to use the tv or seen her since, she hasn't left the room since last year, is she ded?
  28. Dec 1, 2015
    BEST Call of duty game EVER . .
  29. Jan 30, 2016
    this game is a classic shooter from old days, always a blast mowing down enemies with different machine guns and exploding and grenading other people at the same time XD
  30. JonJ.
    Feb 4, 2008
    I'm not a single-player gamer so this is a multi-play review of the game. CoD4 is an exclusively modern infantry based game that offers several game modes. At first the game play seems to be very ambitious but then after a while it feels limited with the small maps, limited team functions, and the default settings for spectate-only mode are crippled. Its not that the game is bad, but I'm not a single-player gamer so this is a multi-play review of the game. CoD4 is an exclusively modern infantry based game that offers several game modes. At first the game play seems to be very ambitious but then after a while it feels limited with the small maps, limited team functions, and the default settings for spectate-only mode are crippled. Its not that the game is bad, but I find BF2 and BF2142 to be much more ambitious and satisfying multiplayer FPS games. CoD4 tries to keep things simple and do what it does well, and it succeeds in that. I find that after a while, the highly repetitive gameplay grows tiresome. The game clearly borrows much from Counterstike, a game I don't care much for. Also some of the maps I don't care for because they focus only on quick reflexes and almost no thinking thus the shallow experience. Also even on servers with a low ping like 20 or 30ms, the other players jerk around as they move, not moving smoothly. Its better than Counter Strike, about the same as TF2, but not as good as UT3 or Crysis and certainly not as good as BF2/2142. There is much to like in CoD4 multiplayer, if you like simplicity and repetition, and I mean that in a good way (not great way). It's certainly one of the new top PC online FPS games for 2007. Definitely check it out. Don't expect a huge and deep online experience in CoD4. (I've been playing FPS games since, well, 1981 - Battlezone) Expand
  31. Amos(Singapore)
    Nov 12, 2007
    Kudos to Infinity Ward for this EXCELLENT shooter !! You guys have lifted up to the FANS expectations and more.. A MUST buy for all PC Gamers. Shame on EA (full of empty promises to FANS, treating us like fools) for the same over-hyped reiterations time and again. (Pacific A$$ault, Airborne, C$C 3...)
  32. RobB.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Yep, this is a real as it gets so far
  33. DanielL.
    Nov 14, 2007
    The best game of all time! INTENSE action, perfect sound and graphics.
  34. LiboW.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Solid game, gotta love the "moving dramatic" music at key parts... but really this game though as short as the singleplayer maybe hit right on key of what call of duty would be with modern weapons/settings. I'm gonna go out on a limb here though to correct a couple of things. First of all this game has NO DIRECTX 10, don't listen to the user below, as all the graphics are Solid game, gotta love the "moving dramatic" music at key parts... but really this game though as short as the singleplayer maybe hit right on key of what call of duty would be with modern weapons/settings. I'm gonna go out on a limb here though to correct a couple of things. First of all this game has NO DIRECTX 10, don't listen to the user below, as all the graphics are written in directx 9 (but really well). Vista runs the game slower as I dual-boot both. Secondly, another user complained about the lack of a "cover" system. I can name 2 games with like-wise publicity that has this "cover" system. 1. Rainbow 6 Vegas, 2. Gears of War, both are great games but based on the same engine (unreal 3.0). That's it, i can't name another game with a "cover" system or whatever this person was looking for. Halflife-2 (all), quake 4, crysis, counterstrike, jericho... all recent shooters do not employ a "cover" system, as intelligent FPS players crouch or goto prone if needed. If the game's too hard, just play it on recruit. Expand
  35. ChrisV.
    Nov 19, 2007
    This game is undeniably great. You wont find action this intense, with an amazingly crafted script to boot in any movie you'll ever see. Hands down, this is the best war orientated FPS out there.
  36. JakubD.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Great graphics, great gameplay, very good system of ranks and getting upgrades, and most of all great sotory in single player mode.
  37. SimonY.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I love the fact you can make your own custom weapons in multiplayer, and it has the best firefights in a FPS ever.
  38. SeanP.
    Nov 22, 2007
    This game is one of the better shooters to come out this year. It has fast action, large scale battles, and tatics. This is a game to play for years to come.
  39. TomiV.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This game was really something... It was first game that i pre-ordered. Finally it was taken to modern wars from the WWII. Atmosphere was the best of the best like in CoD 2 and CoD 3 and Graphics were also good but not the best of the best, audiovisually the game was incredible, like CoD 2. I´ll give 10 points for this because there is no such option as 96/95.
  40. KyleT.
    Nov 29, 2007
    this game is absolutely awesome a must have for your games collection weather it be pc or 360 the graphics are excellent, story line is superb and this game is challenging. it throws you off your feet with the way you expect things to work for example the last mission your a US marine. i didnt expect the way that ends at all even though this is a game set in the present and you have all this game is absolutely awesome a must have for your games collection weather it be pc or 360 the graphics are excellent, story line is superb and this game is challenging. it throws you off your feet with the way you expect things to work for example the last mission your a US marine. i didnt expect the way that ends at all even though this is a game set in the present and you have all the new weponry it still feels exactly like a call of duty game, which some poople will love like me but some people wont really like this game is amazing and online playing is really good aswell. Expand
  41. BorisD.
    Nov 8, 2007
    The game is really good and with fabulous graphics engine and even on low details and low resolution it looks great. The storyline is great and when i got it I played it nonstop for about 3 hours and I probably got throught the half game it is just great so i give it a rating of 10/10 ! I played it with about 35-40 FPS at 1024x768 resolution and everything on High and there was absolutely The game is really good and with fabulous graphics engine and even on low details and low resolution it looks great. The storyline is great and when i got it I played it nonstop for about 3 hours and I probably got throught the half game it is just great so i give it a rating of 10/10 ! I played it with about 35-40 FPS at 1024x768 resolution and everything on High and there was absolutely no lag at all. My PC: Athlon 3500+, 1.5GB RAM DDR2, Asus GeForce 7300GS 512MB. Expand
  42. KimC.
    Dec 1, 2007
    It is a game that performs better then crysis, and have more action then crysis will ever get. Multiplayer is just fantastic.
  43. Matt
    Dec 12, 2007
    It's a brilliant game, from start to finish. The singleplayer makes you feel like you're actually in the battlefield, and the major plot twist in the middle will leave you stunned. The multiplayer is even better, and will last a very long time. A good amount of maps, and deep character customisation are just 2 of the many excellent features.
  44. Fr3ddi3K.
    Dec 16, 2007
    COD4 really needs to have something put into it that says "OK you've killed x ammount of baddies in this area, we won't spawn anymore" I found it really irritating to be sat in one spot and kill endless wave after wave of bad guys that just do not stop untill you get annoyed and take a risk and rush in and hope for the best, this is also where i feel the friendly AI lacks, it COD4 really needs to have something put into it that says "OK you've killed x ammount of baddies in this area, we won't spawn anymore" I found it really irritating to be sat in one spot and kill endless wave after wave of bad guys that just do not stop untill you get annoyed and take a risk and rush in and hope for the best, this is also where i feel the friendly AI lacks, it fails to take advantage of a situation that you create, it insteads waits for you to guide your team to the next action point by being up front and killing everything just for them to say "it's clear follwo us so you can do all the work again", Aside from the above however COD is and always has been an EPIC movie like game, the scripted sequences are truely draw dropping, The game does a good job with the story set up (remeber this is the first time cod has stepped into a fictional yet controversial setting) and the charecter building is amazing, so much so that when one of them dies your feel that you have just lost something dear to you and you want to avenge there death, many games fail to bring that ammount of depth. MP is a great blast if you like in your face combat, i am a little dissapointed at the size and liniarity of all the maps but they do not fail at setting up firefights, even if from the spawn point you can nade the enemy. Here's hoping that a patch is realesed to bring in a larger scale maps, but if not, CoD has a massive fan base and I like many others plan on making custom maps as soon as the tools are realeased. Lastly the Cod4 v Crysis Debate, I own both and have a top end system, Crysis is a hell of an Sp game and the Mp is fairly good as well, but CoD4 beats it on every thing except for Graphics. Even then CoD is still a visual peice of Art. I recomend thi sto anyone who loves the FPS genre. Expand
  45. Brian
    Dec 17, 2007
    VERY good game. I loved it. Great graphics everything. Although, the bad thing is only 4 hours of Single Player mode. So after that, you do single player again in a harder level or play multiplayer.
  46. TimmothyS.
    Dec 19, 2007
    The best First Person Shooter out on the market. It makes Halo 3 look and feel like garbage. It's got America's-Army style realism, but a much more enjoyable and fast-paced game without all the gripes that killed BF2.
  47. SlyOne
    Dec 21, 2007
    The only thing that lets this game down is the lack of functionality of the servers user interface. it is hard to join together with friends to play on the same servers. There is no friends list, and you can't simply look up a frend and join the same server as them. You are stuck to using third party software, or a phone to describe to them the crazy server names, which they have to The only thing that lets this game down is the lack of functionality of the servers user interface. it is hard to join together with friends to play on the same servers. There is no friends list, and you can't simply look up a frend and join the same server as them. You are stuck to using third party software, or a phone to describe to them the crazy server names, which they have to find in their list. Expand
  48. DavidO.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Best single-player experience I've had in a while. Also the best multi-player experience I've had in forever!
  49. DwainW.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Game is excellent in play ,it draws you into the game , but i found it ended way to soon,but still a great game.
  50. CallumT.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Call of duty 4 is 'the' best modern FPS on the market to this day, with outstanding graphics, weapon selection and single player storyline, this game is easily a 10. The frequent updates and source servers makes the game un-laggy and always ontop with the bugs/glitches.
  51. GGAllinC.
    Dec 25, 2007
    COD4's release timing is excellent, with the flop of Crysis, as well as the communities from BF2, 2142, CSS and others who are looking for that NEW game to come out that just grabs you by the seat of your pants. COD4 does just that. From the excellent hit boxes to the brilliant graphics COD4 delivers everything the gaming community is looking for right now.
  52. CarstenN.
    Dec 29, 2007
    This is probably the best game of the year. The graphics are top-notch (only overturned by Crysis), the game play is both new and exciting the whole game through. The only bad thing about this game is: The single player campaign isn't long enough!
  53. Patrick
    Dec 29, 2007
    It's fast and tactical multiplayer is rewarding with all the different challenges and upgrades and the Make-A-Class system is fun to mess with. And unlike some of the higher up weapon unlocks in other games *cough* BF2 *cough* using the default weapons can still result in victory. I particularly would recommend this game to people that have lower end systems such as my own who cant It's fast and tactical multiplayer is rewarding with all the different challenges and upgrades and the Make-A-Class system is fun to mess with. And unlike some of the higher up weapon unlocks in other games *cough* BF2 *cough* using the default weapons can still result in victory. I particularly would recommend this game to people that have lower end systems such as my own who cant play bioshock or crysis because of the high system specs. It runs surprisingly well on my 512MB DDR, Pent 4 2.4 GHz, 7600 GS AGP. Even with my low amount of RAM the levels still load very quickly and the single player campaign is nothing to scoff at either. It's like an action movie throughout the entire thing. So go ahead and pick it up as long as you meet the minimum because it'll still look, sound, and play great. Expand
  54. BrianC.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Excellent game, but it is very linear, and that whole feel is a bit old. Next generation shooters should be very nonlinear and have destructible environments. Although this has neither, it is a very excellent game.
  55. NickS.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Like wow, i thought I was in love with CoD2, but man oh man was I in for something even better after getting this. Everything is just spectacular, definetly a CSS and DoDS BF2/2142 rep for myself.
  56. S.W.
    Dec 7, 2007
    The single player game holds its own with HL and HL2 as "best shooters of all time". The reason its so good is the story and the action. The other reviewers are not wrong when they say that you feel like your playing a part in a movie. You do, and that is a testament to how well produced this game is. The graphics are stunning and even took my 7900GTX past what it could handle. Its a very The single player game holds its own with HL and HL2 as "best shooters of all time". The reason its so good is the story and the action. The other reviewers are not wrong when they say that you feel like your playing a part in a movie. You do, and that is a testament to how well produced this game is. The graphics are stunning and even took my 7900GTX past what it could handle. Its a very satisfying game to play and the only reason it is only getting a 9 and not a 10 is because its very short. About 6.5 hours on medium difficulty. Thankfully, it is the kind of game you would play through a second time, and it is designed to be able to pick up at any mission on any difficulty and replay parts of it. Expand
  57. APERSONHI
    Nov 7, 2008
    I dont understand......Why are people giving this game bad reviews?Maybe becaouse there mad that its not like Halo 3?

Anyway.....I really liked this game.The singleplayer is short but def replayable.Multiplayer....Is the most amazing multiplayer i have EVER played.Its fun,exiting,fast paced. The ranking is fun to,But after you get to lvl 55....It will get boring....But then you just start from lvl 0 again if you want to.

Overall....This game blew away my expectaions from the Call Of Duty series.
  58. GordonM.
    Oct 17, 2008
    While not exhibiting the same level of "immersion" as the other of its series, COD 4 is still an excellent game, at least in singleplayer. The bots, dispite what many say, are NOT infinite (if you don't have the patience to sit out the bots and acutally kill them all before rushing foward, you can go back to Halo), and they are far easier to kill with the sights. Proof of this would While not exhibiting the same level of "immersion" as the other of its series, COD 4 is still an excellent game, at least in singleplayer. The bots, dispite what many say, are NOT infinite (if you don't have the patience to sit out the bots and acutally kill them all before rushing foward, you can go back to Halo), and they are far easier to kill with the sights. Proof of this would become evident if critics had bothered playing on "Veteran" rather than sobbing about a lack of realism - most of the bots use sights, and amazingly, they are far more accurate while doing so. Linear gameplay isn't necessarily a bad thing, and those trumpeting its problems really ought to go and design a game without linear gameplay and yet a good story and wide appeal. Half Life 2 was linear, Crysis Warhead was more or less linear, Doom and F.E.A.R were linear, and yet people insist on instantly branding a product "linear" when they haven't even enough experience to say that it's a negative! COD4 was linear, but that only fits in with the previous COD and COD 2, which were both linear, and anyone expecting non-linear gameplay COD 4 should have perhaps bought Barbie Horse Adventures instead. Expand
  59. Eon
    Jan 18, 2008
    I gotta admit, it's pretty damn good. Felt like propaganda at times and did annoy me with respawning enemies from time to time, but everything else is really worth those few annoyances. Great graphics, great gameplay, greatly optimised for older hardware even ( a tip for those with older machines - three main performance killers - soft smoke, shadows and specular map. Specular map is I gotta admit, it's pretty damn good. Felt like propaganda at times and did annoy me with respawning enemies from time to time, but everything else is really worth those few annoyances. Great graphics, great gameplay, greatly optimised for older hardware even ( a tip for those with older machines - three main performance killers - soft smoke, shadows and specular map. Specular map is the last one you'd want to turn off, but if nothing else helps it is well worth it). Game just feels really polished, which I can say about very few games. Real score : [85/100] Expand
  60. BrianM.
    Oct 19, 2008
    Best FPS I've played. Single player is a great thrill ride all the way through. The ability to customize multi player allows for server types for everyone from run and gun lovers to a hardcore tactical experience where one bullet is usually death.
  61. CaseyY.
    Jan 31, 2008
    The multiplayer and singleplayer are both amazing. Games don't need to be long to be good.
  62. ConorC.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Clearly one of the best shooters out there. It has large improvements over CoD2 and 3, that surpass anything the mods for those could ever do. The ranking system, with the challenges make you want to keep playing, no matter how well you do, and the perk system lets you be your own soldier, not just some guy with a gun. The single player can be easy, or intensely difficult, but multiplayer Clearly one of the best shooters out there. It has large improvements over CoD2 and 3, that surpass anything the mods for those could ever do. The ranking system, with the challenges make you want to keep playing, no matter how well you do, and the perk system lets you be your own soldier, not just some guy with a gun. The single player can be easy, or intensely difficult, but multiplayer is where it's at. Anyone who can't see this doesn't deserve to understand it. I'll be playing this game for years. Expand
  63. SamH.
    Mar 11, 2008
    This game is epic! SAS stealth action with full submersion action next to each other. Ask much more and why not ask for an early rapture? And theres guns btw, in case you were undecided on that fact.
  64. DavidG
    Mar 14, 2008
    I thought this game was fantastic! It was a little disappointing for the length, but the intense battles evened it out. I would tell anyone who was considering to buy this game to get it immediately! It's definitely worth the money in my opinion. I hope we see another one of these on Steam soon! I'm looking forward to a sequel!
  65. DanielV.
    Mar 17, 2008
    This game is a great game. Awesome graphics, great gaming experience for any user.
  66. DarrylT.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Most incredible thing since sliced bread.
  67. WilliamT.
    Apr 11, 2008
    A brave new step into the world of modern warfare from Infinity Ward. The style may not have changed much, but it was such a great style to begin with anyhow. A must for all fans of previous games or action and FPSs in general.
  68. JacobB.
    Apr 23, 2008
    With a simply mind-blowing single player mode and an even better multi-player system, Call Of Duty 4- Modern Warfare is one of the best FPS that has ever been made. I would give it a 10, but that's just not my style and COD5 isn't out yet.
  69. ChrisG.
    Apr 26, 2008
    How can you fault this game? Sure, it doesnt bring anything groundbreakingly new to the genre, but it is executed so perfectly that any score other than 10 is just a travesty. The multiplayer is punishingly difficult for beginners, but it's a testament to this game that I enjoy every second I was losing. This game revives the CoD series with gusto, and even surpasses the original. Wow.
  70. NickP.
    May 17, 2008
    Absolute great game. Single player has a rich storyline and multiplayer kicks ass!
  71. GiginsH.
    Jun 13, 2008
    THIS GAME ROX OMG! 10 out of 10 is the only suitable option. This game delivers just about everything you could want in a first person shooter. 1up totally underranked it, but probably cuz its graphics suck for the Wii only. I recommend buying it cuz it makes anyones collection complete. the multiplayer is user friendly and is very addicting. i am on the highest rank btw cuz i rock.
  72. JakubS.
    Aug 21, 2008
    Best Game ever, lots of action, Graphics are excellent and There is so much more, Cod2 was ok, when cod3 came out i was disgusted, Cod4 is awesome.
  73. GeorgeAladashvili
    Oct 17, 2009
    An exciting game with well-built storyline, characters and action. The bad part is somehow medium graphics, a bit confusing plot and absolutely no chance of exploring the territory, like in "Far Cry" or "Crysis". Nobody says it should be a sandbox-style game, but a bit freedom would be nice. The game is a non-stop action- first you are fighting Russian Nationalists in central plains ofAn exciting game with well-built storyline, characters and action. The bad part is somehow medium graphics, a bit confusing plot and absolutely no chance of exploring the territory, like in "Far Cry" or "Crysis". Nobody says it should be a sandbox-style game, but a bit freedom would be nice. The game is a non-stop action- first you are fighting Russian Nationalists in central plains of Southern Russia, then you are transported to the city in the Middle East and fight the OpFor. The experience is really great. This will make you forget how stupid the story is: A Russian terrorist- wants to restore The Soviet Union by nuclear war with USA! The other problem are graphics- they are not bad, but i really expected more from Infinity Ward. The textures are quite weak as well. In all, this game is more made for Multiplayer mode, rather than the Singleplayer. Expand
  74. fpsFanDude
    Dec 11, 2009
    Great game! Especially the Campaign. I was not too impressed with the online, and the fact that every 10 - 15 minutes it lags at high action places if you have a older video card. But over all, it is recommended by me!
  75. AlexK.
    Oct 31, 2009
    From it's heart pounding campaign to it's multiplayer, Modern Warfare delivers everything you'd expect from a shooter game. The introduction of modern weapons has revolutionized the action of the series.
  76. KittyAssasin
    Jul 18, 2009
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is an addicting game worth the price. CoD4 is an improvement on Counter Strike and Battlefield, in which all of them are "run and gun" . Games are suppost to be fun and challenging, not easy. CoD4 is set in a new age of warfare, not in WW2, so stop comparing it to the other Call of Dutys. So what if you can shoot through walls, basically every FPS can allow Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is an addicting game worth the price. CoD4 is an improvement on Counter Strike and Battlefield, in which all of them are "run and gun" . Games are suppost to be fun and challenging, not easy. CoD4 is set in a new age of warfare, not in WW2, so stop comparing it to the other Call of Dutys. So what if you can shoot through walls, basically every FPS can allow guns to blast through walls. In real life, a .50 caliber rifle can penetrate through tank aurmor. Open your minds and get yourself out of the Counter Strike and Halo rut and try something different. The graphics are very good especially the guilly suits. If you dont like certain maps or game style, stop joining those games and put some filters on. Yes, "bloom" is annoying at some times, but the sun actually reflects off objects like that. Most FPS are get from point a to point b. You can move to point b from point a multiple different ways in singleplayer , you dont have to follow your squad. The physics engine is fairly decent at giving you realistic movement without skipping. The kill cam is a gaming thing. If you dont like it, filter it out. Perks make the online gameing challenging. Even the level 55 people use the begining perks. The iron sight is probably the most used pice of equipment next to the trigger. It makes shooting much more accurate. You are a trained unit, the recoil you try to keep to a minimum. You fire more rounds in training than in the battlefield. Every single game, no matter what style, has a boundry line. Quit complaining about the non-infinently spawning units, just move on. Of course you move on, you dont let the land just sit there, do you? Do you really get to stop and look over the land you are about to capture and get your head blown off by an enemy sniper? Like someother fan typed, "this is a videogame, not a military simulator." You get cover by crouching or going prone. If you have problems with the buildings, dont go into them, be a sniper and choose an open map. The smallest map is shipment, and no one really plays that map because of it. The average modern infantry man is carrying an additional 120-230 lbs. That might be doubling some soldiers whieght. Expand
  77. ChrisR
    Sep 29, 2009
    This game has got to be one of the most addictively fun games I've ever played. I still spend hours on xbox live shooting through walls on hardcore team deathmatch. And for all u whiners who think that online sucks cuz of all the fags that exploit the games few weak spots, suck it up and learn to fight back. I'm not saying cheat back, but learn how to take care of the queers or This game has got to be one of the most addictively fun games I've ever played. I still spend hours on xbox live shooting through walls on hardcore team deathmatch. And for all u whiners who think that online sucks cuz of all the fags that exploit the games few weak spots, suck it up and learn to fight back. I'm not saying cheat back, but learn how to take care of the queers or just find another game. Contrary to your own belief, there are servers WITHOUT cheaters. Expand
  78. JamieC.
    Nov 12, 2007
    The is an amazing game. The gameplay is amazing, graphics amazing, AI is stunning also. Only complaint I have about the game, is there isnt very much plot to it. Apart from that it is one of those games everyone needs.
  79. MikeA.
    Nov 12, 2007
    This is the game I have been waiting many years for. Finally they have taken the fps genre to the next level. I will be playing this for a long time.
  80. JonasM.
    Nov 14, 2007
    The best online multiplayer of year... perfect engine, perfect graphics, perfect sound, perfect gameplay!
  81. AndresM.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Great game. Graphics are great, really fun to play online. Need a computer to support this game
  82. ChristopherH.
    Nov 17, 2007
    An excellent game, with near-photorealistic graphics and a physics engine that seems realistic and not over-the-top like many current games. With the exception of a few "oh come on!" moments and infinitely spawning-enemies until you "overrun the position" the gameplay is spot on with a reasonable story. The game is worth playing just for the bit where you get to be the gunner on a Spectre.
  83. JPG.
    Nov 17, 2007
    The single player is as great and even better than the single player in previous call of duty's, but what really sets this apart from the others is the multiplayer play. The perk system is very cool, and the experience system is actually very rewarding and done much better than in similar games like battlefield 2.
  84. RyanO.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. I can say this will definitely be a favourite for fans of the series and is by far the best of the lot, but even if you have never liked call of duty - Now is the time to try it out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. And after all that; The multiplayer is that multiplied by 50.
  85. KyleC.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Game is THE must play of the season. Intense non-stop action. Doesn't redefine the FPS genre but definately sets a new bar for it. Absolutely the most enjoyable gave I've played all year. Was worth the wait. And the multi-player was given as much care as the game itself.
  86. JamesH.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Overall a worthy buy and sequel, but some of the aforementioned comments rightly criticize some elements of the game. The pros: excellent graphics, not just in implementation, but artistry and skill as well. The relatively small "arenas" allow for sharp graphics that are playable on a decent system (max settings with FX55, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS, 50-60 FPS). Superb sound and exceptional EAX for Overall a worthy buy and sequel, but some of the aforementioned comments rightly criticize some elements of the game. The pros: excellent graphics, not just in implementation, but artistry and skill as well. The relatively small "arenas" allow for sharp graphics that are playable on a decent system (max settings with FX55, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS, 50-60 FPS). Superb sound and exceptional EAX for surround sound. Great action, particularly online play, although the singleplayer doesn't fall short. The cons: frustratingly difficult stages, often requiring multiple "rehearsals." Senseless swarms of enemy after enemy, which even the most elite four man team would not survive (Capt Price takes several hundred rounds over the course of the game). Of course the shortness of singleplayer mode is off-putting and confounding considering the length of COD 1 & 2. The mulitplayer is fun, but the stages are very small, with 90% of the action focusing on one or two avenues, allowing for very little in the way of tactics. Expand
  87. TrustME!
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pro: Mulitplayer is new, graphics are awsome, a nice step back from killing Nazis, great single player, and a lot more. Con: 4-6 hours of single player.
  88. SidC.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Unlike other most other FPSes, this game has a levelling system for aesome levels of variety between players. It's very replayable, and always action packed. Not too challenging, but not too easy, it's extremely fun for beginners and veteran FPS players :).
  89. AnsonG.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Call of Duty 4 is not a revolutionary game. It will not drop your jaw (except at maybe some of the graphics in the explosions). It will not make you dream at night about it. What it is, however, is a solid, playable experience, that will last maybe a week to a few months. Whether or not you demand your games last longer might affect your view of this game, but Single Player, coupled with Call of Duty 4 is not a revolutionary game. It will not drop your jaw (except at maybe some of the graphics in the explosions). It will not make you dream at night about it. What it is, however, is a solid, playable experience, that will last maybe a week to a few months. Whether or not you demand your games last longer might affect your view of this game, but Single Player, coupled with Multiplayer (which I haven't played, so I can't review it) should keep you coming back for more. Expand
  90. NarcarsissUberLeetNess
    Dec 13, 2007
    This game to me was out standing best AU $60 i have ever spen on a shooter it cought me out some times neer the start i kept thinking that the guys in the brown cammo were real this is a first for me. infinityward you have don an absolute beauty of a game (hate the dogs tho they kill me :P)
    and this game hasent even crashed once lost a frame (amd 3800+ x2 ati X1650xt 1gigram) or jumped this is what all games should be like way to go guys/gals 10/10
  91. DavidG.
    Dec 16, 2007
    A Spectacular game introducing the Pc Gamers a whole new perspective on first person shooters. I Really enjoyed the Single Player even if it had it moments , and I Still am enhoying the Multyplayer feature which really is special.
  92. JamesO.
    Dec 16, 2007
    One of the best games to be released in the last decade. I love it when game developers come together with the right combinations.
  93. MarcM.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Excellent graphics and realistic sounds of modern warfare make this game one of the best first-person shooters ever. This is the closest thing to enlisting and getting shipped off to Iraq.
  94. VayidM.
    Dec 28, 2007
    This is the best FPS game I have ever played. Ok I haven't played hardcore but, I've played games like Project IGI, Unreal, Americas Army, Counter Strike but this Single Player is just so awesome. This game is what keeps people off the multiplayer for a while. I do wish the multiplayer was longer and I wish I had played on a harder level. I also regretted finishing the game as This is the best FPS game I have ever played. Ok I haven't played hardcore but, I've played games like Project IGI, Unreal, Americas Army, Counter Strike but this Single Player is just so awesome. This game is what keeps people off the multiplayer for a while. I do wish the multiplayer was longer and I wish I had played on a harder level. I also regretted finishing the game as playing it again removes all excitement. Hopefully in 2-3 years time I will pull it from my game box and have another go. By then I would have forgotten all about it and the excitement factor would be there again. I know not of any other FPS' where you have a team of computers who play with you. The talk and the AI is quite nice. Overall it is an awesome game awesome game. Crysis may have been all the hype but CoD 4 seems to have stolen it in my view. If CoD 4 utilized the Crytek engine the graphics would have looked even more superb. But as I keep repeating myself yes, this is an awesome game. Go buy it, you wont regret it. Expand
  95. DerekTarnawa
    Nov 23, 2008
    By far the best $50 I have ever spent on a game. The campaign is downright amazing, and the graphics are great too! But the multiplayer falls a little short for me. The game lends itself to way too many "n00b guns", Seriously. But, as long as you are semi good you will have lots of fun, even though it's not the newest call of duty.
  96. JosephH
    Nov 28, 2009
    game far exceeds my expectations which where already high of the call of duty series.
  97. JakobR
    Dec 14, 2009
    What can I say? This is really one of the best games ever made. COD4 really brings you into the action. In the single player campaign you get a feeling of how it is to be in war. The heavy fighting at the front lines, and the stealthy spec ops missions behind enemy lines. The campaign however is pretty short, and although its entertaining, and can be played several times the big plus of What can I say? This is really one of the best games ever made. COD4 really brings you into the action. In the single player campaign you get a feeling of how it is to be in war. The heavy fighting at the front lines, and the stealthy spec ops missions behind enemy lines. The campaign however is pretty short, and although its entertaining, and can be played several times the big plus of this game is the multi player. The gameplay, when you think about it isn't really that fantastic, but there's something with it, which makes you want to play hour after hour, day after day. There's not only a great amount of weapons, but also special abilities called perks. These perks can be used for extra damage, better accuracy, or having two RPGs on your back. This feature really makes call of duty a unique game, and it is probably here that the gameplay is "epic". I cant really think of any minuses about this game except for the few glitches in the game, which Infinity Ward hasn't fixed yet (even although there has been 7 major updates to the game). Gameplay: 10/10 Sound: 10/10 Graphics: 9/10 Durability: 10/10 Overall: 10/10 Expand
  98. Dec 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, the last good Call of Duty was also the first good Call of Duty. The singleplayer is an action-packed ride but the multiplayer isn't what its really cut out to be. Sure, its addictive, but it gets boring really fast. However, it is highly recommended.
  99. faf
    Aug 6, 2014
    I recently decided to replay the entire Call of Duty series and started with CoD4. Even after almost 6 years the game remains epic. The single player campaign starts to feel slightly linear when you get near the end but it doesn't have much of an impact on the game-play and it all remains one big action packed ride from the first time you pull the trigger to the last. Did not get intoI recently decided to replay the entire Call of Duty series and started with CoD4. Even after almost 6 years the game remains epic. The single player campaign starts to feel slightly linear when you get near the end but it doesn't have much of an impact on the game-play and it all remains one big action packed ride from the first time you pull the trigger to the last. Did not get into multiplayer again but from what I remember from the many hours spent playing it was brilliant. Expand
  100. Dec 6, 2014
    Modern Warfare is a fantastic game and a true classic. Both the single and multi players are exceptional. My breakdown is as follows:

1. Graphics: 8/10 - excellent for its time
    2. Gameplay: 8/10 - great controls, and satisfying gameplay
    3. Story: 7/10 - interesting story, but relatively simple.
    4. Multiplayer: 8/10 - competitive and fun

Overall, an excellent game.

1. PC Gamer UK
    A beautifully crafted first-person shooter, but without a compelling context. How much does that matter? To me, a little. Not a lot, but it nags. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.
  3. It’s absolutely relentless in its assault on the senses and never lets up until the last trigger has been squeezed. The multiplayer is even better, with the perks and weapon upgrades acting as a balance to the lack of vehicles.