8.2

1. Jun 2, 2013
    After the complete and utter failure that was the previous installment I was thrilled to see Juarez returned to its rightful place in the late 1800's West. The price caught my eye and for a price that low it told me one of two things, it is either very very short or it is not an official installment. Well, I was right on both.

The first thing you are going to notice after the cutscene
    ends when you start is this God awful horrendous black ugly border that surrounds your screen. Once you've recovered from the shock you're going to notice the graphics look very familiar to Boringlands. Oops I mean Borderlands. Yes, that ugly black cartoon style outline on every character, object and detail. Even the character introduction screens are done the same comic book way. By now you're thinking "Well it must be all down hill from here." Oh no, not true at all. You are rewarded with very bloody headshots and very satisfying showdowns, NOW it's all down hill from here.

The gameplay is arcade rail-type. Shoot and move if you will, while you can pick up rifles for those long range kills you realize that areas are so small you can run through the whole game with a single pistol on its hardest setting. Health is another noticeable issue, how do you die? Can you die? It's annoying when you are killed easy and enemies can take five shotgun shells to the face and live, but when it's the complete opposite it's even more annoying. Yes there are upgrades but what's the point? You're already overpowered as it is. There are "secrets" but they are just pages of background on characters and such. Time wise, you're done and over in roughly four to six hours, three or less on average.

There is no link at all to the first two installments and defiantly not the third. The name "Call of Juarez" has just been slapped on it to sell more then it should. Only Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood are the real story and it has become clear to me that it had officially ended in Bound in Blood. New to the story you should only pick up the first two titles and avoid everything else like the plague and not to feed Techland. This is my third and last game I will purchase from them. They have failed on every level in all three games I have played developed by them to even impress me in the slightest.
  2. May 29, 2013
    This game is just a shooting gallery simulator with a western theme.
    If you don't mind this, go ahead, but if you are looking for something more or even for the qualities of the great first Call of Juarez, you will again be disappointed.

There is nothing to challenge your mind and there is nothing to explore (except some bland collectibles). You are basically moving on rails through
    this western setting and there is nothing but shooting. You don't care for your cardboard opponents, you don't care for anything, you just shoot stuff and get points for it. The narrative in the background even tells you what's happening next in this bland plot, so you won't even experience much surprises on your own.

The graphics feels a bit like a half hearted borderlands copy and it misses a general sense of clearness, especially with the use of colours, so things can get confusing to where your opponents are and where to go.

Besides all that, the gun play itself is pretty neat, it feels good and the sound is crunchy, and getting points for shooting stuff is almost always fun for some time, but that's about it.

The game could have worked better as a light gun shooter on real rails, because then it wouldn't even give you the impression that there is something else and it could have concentrated more on a better, more action packed and surprising pacing.

The way it is, it's a game to be forgotten fast.
  3. May 22, 2013
    No FoV options.perfomance issues on some Nvidia cards,disastrous port.
    This is all there really is to say.
    This isn't the first time Techland releases a terrible port.
  4. May 31, 2013
    While being a big fan Of the series I was very dissapointed in this one. With a very poor storyline that had you jumping from one part of the country to another with very little Consistency was pretty disappointing also the fact that the colors were very washed out no multiplayer or cut scenes and very poor weapon choice made this game for me a very big flop. For a much better experience with a game from this series I would heartily recommend Bound In Blood Expand
  5. Jun 17, 2013
    The Call of Juarez franchise certainly went down hill after the first two. If you never played the first two you might like this one. Beyond the name of "Call of Juarez" there is no similarity. This version has no plot, beyond going from place to place killing famous wild west characters in an arcade way. The cartoony graphics are unappealing, noisy and too busy, making it uncomfortable. Of course if you liked the Borderlands graphics you'll like this. After the disaster of "Cartel" Techland returned to it's roots of the old West but completely fail at regaining the glory of the first two games. The $15 price tag was a clue. Sad. Expand
  6. Apr 9, 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a 4 hour, linear corridor shooter with a messy plot that constantly pushes you back and forth. There's no open world to explore and no interesting weapons to be used. It's a very basic shooter and I'm glad it ends the ride very quickly.

The art style is very strange and unusual. It tries to cover the cell shaded design but interferes with the actual
    graphics, it doesn't perform like a toony western shooter and feels like it was just slapped on for the sake of trying to be 'unique' while utterly failing. And what's the deal with those annoying black borders that take up the screen?

I'm not happy with the asking price of $15 for such little content. But I will give 1 score for the effort, it feels like they really tried to make a good game but decided to give up half way.
  7. Mar 22, 2014
    The gameline is intriguing but the "forced" positions the editors put you in is TERRIBLE! From PUSHING you forward into a room, to making you run down a lit fuse where only a "patterned" set of execution wins the day is not what modern gaming is all about.

As a 49 year old gamer I can tell you about the ascension of games because I've lived through the morphing process which games have
    gone over the years. Back in the day, Pacman had certain "patterns" you followed and once memorized you could beat the game.

Then gamers demanded more. They wanted to have the "freedom" to beat the game using their own individual strategy, NOT some pre-template sets of execution that the editor "forced" upon the player.

Unfortunately, this game forces you into just this type of game play a lot! If you like games that "force" you to play their way, then you'll probably enjoy this game. If you're like me and enjoy entering a game and conquering it using your own unique skills and style, then this game will "frustrate" you to no end.

The gameline and storytelling is a 9 for me, but the consistent FORCED gameplay DESTROYS any and all value that would have made this game fun. There's a reason why "open world" game playing has reached an all time high. And the exact reason why this game never really became as popular as it could have.......

sadly more than halfway through the game, I wanted my money back!

1. Jul 30, 2013
    The Call of Juarez series has had its ups and downs over the years, but Gunslinger stands proud—not only against its own checkered past, but against the FPS genre as a whole. It may not be a subtle or particularly nuanced experience, but it's certainly a cracking good time delivered with a style and confidence that's rarely seen in a full-priced title, let alone a $15 download.
    Call of Juarez returns to western genre, and that is fine. A pity though, it imitates itself, even its competition. However, this story is worth it even without a happy-ending. [Issue#231]
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Don’t mistake price for quality – this is a top-notch shooter, limited in resources but not in heart.