5.6

1. Sep 29, 2012
    The graphics, while not awesome are very good, alomsy Crysis standard (and yes I know that game is well over 3 years old) but still very good. INtro "make it to your carrier" shooter is ok, but as I'm playing the rather spectacular Borderlands 2 now, it does pale in comparison to that - but as it's such a small part of the game it's hardly worthwhile critcising it too much.
    Vehicles drive
    Vehicles drive really well, GUI is spot on - freedom is AWESOME! I've justr done to second mission about 5x and finished it sompletely differently, and I've had more ideas since then to be more efficient. The REAL issue (and why this is an 8.5 or 9 rather than a 10) is the pathfinding AI essp against obstacles. While I love to play this is a shooter in the Battlezone1 and 2 mould, I would like to play it properly as a mixed genre strategy game without having to micro manage the routes by wingmen are taking. I notice on Steam that their is alreadyu a pathfinding patch on the way. SO in anticipation of that I give it a 9. Without it it's still a solid 8. For those of us who prefer sandbox to theme park no matter what the genre, this is one of very few great games to hit in the last 7 years. The last game similar to this was "Hostile Waters"
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    Ok. Never heard of this game (or original) until today. Bought it because I saw commanding carrier, nice islands and driving vehicles with freedom. And I love it. From intro which has its dynamic even with little obsolete animations, through menu with excellent music to the actual game. I'm one of few who actually liked first FPS mission. As FPS player I agree it's not the best ever seen.Ok. Never heard of this game (or original) until today. Bought it because I saw commanding carrier, nice islands and driving vehicles with freedom. And I love it. From intro which has its dynamic even with little obsolete animations, through menu with excellent music to the actual game. I'm one of few who actually liked first FPS mission. As FPS player I agree it's not the best ever seen. But I love it because developers took some time to make this "minigame" to make you know you are one man on your way to seize and command carrier - your future home. Game itself reminds me Project Freedom style. I'm definitely more enjoying action part - driving vehicles/VTOL's around islands and shooting enemies/unlocking doors/lowering barriers on my own - then strategic part of commanding units from map. And I really think the game do this perfectly. Nice graphics when it's moving. Good quick-to-learn interface made for PC. And nice using more, yet limited to 8, units to support you, as wingman, to defend places or just to supply you with another vehicle when your own is destroyed. Some upgrades, production and customization of units. The best of the game is IMO freedom you have. There is no one way to accomplish mission. You can approach from any direction you choose. Use anything from single unit hit-and-run tactics to drive enemies out through strategic map. You can take ground turrets from behind with single unit or use nearby hovering VTOL's for taking out ground units while APC's for taking out air cannons. Every mission in campaign also have something new to see/use/do. All-in-all I love the freedom and the personal approach of commander. There are issues with game. If you are just a little forgiving you can overlook them but they still are there. The most annoying is bad AI pathfinding. When AI is driving your units, they can be really pain in the ass. Stucking on each rock they met. Usually they get to the target eventually, just not as smooth as you would like. So you need to be checking them and time to time just drive a bit of way yourself - UI is very helping to do this easily. This can be serious issue when you want to use strategic map to coordinate multiple attacks. Didn't bother me that much as I used it more like arcade game and drive most of units myself. Graphics and physics is very good. With no FPS drop on 570GTX. Music is excellent, liked one this much last in DXHR. And the storytelling made me feel the same as I felt on Freelancer's back then. So if you are willing to forgive some hitches, they may be even fixed later (writing this on release version), buy it. If you unsure, wait for 15 Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Brilliant strategy/action game that is faithful to the original. Graphics and weather conditions are gorgeous. The campaign is decent but more importantly there is lots of replay value in the strategy game mode.
  4. Sep 30, 2012
    This game, in terms of scope, is genius. I was super excited when I saw the premise. Control a carrier, launch amphibious and flying units and direct them directly and indirectly to assault and capture an island and its resources... However I wasn't born yesterday, I've seen this type of premise before, and I
  5. Jul 29, 2013
    Really fun and engaging game that mixes strategic conquest of neutral and enemy islands to power your war effort (and maim the enemy's) with tactical combats manning aircraft, amphibious tanks, and a carrier with turrets.

The campaign serves both as an introduction to the gameplay and tutorial, as well as a refreshing change of pace with its on-foot infiltration missions, chases on land and air, and a story whose writing, while not going to win a Nobel prize of literature, gives a reason and a motivation for the whole thing.
    You can rush through it, but I took the time to conquer every single optional island, and visit both the factory/refinery and the research center at every island to get the free goodies, and Steam accounted 40 hours to complete it.

Once you are done with the campaign, you can replay the game in strategic mode, where you can configure the starting archipelago, initial technology and victory conditions to your liking. You can go for fast games where you rush face to face against the enemy carrier and everything becomes a fest of plasma and explosions in under 10 minutes, or take the long calmer way of a totally neutral archipelago for a more strategic gameplay.

At the time of this review with patch 1.6.0011, the AI problems have been mostly fixed, although now and then you can experience some hiccups in their pathing at specific places in specific islands, something you can correct by taking control of the unit and moving it a little bit forward in their route. The game is also prone to freeze or crash at predictable moments. But because of this predictability, it's nothing you can't mitigate by saving just before a cutscene or before arriving a new island.

This is a game I would gladly recommend to get without much thinking once they have ended ironing the remaining bugs left, or if they added a multiplayer cooperative mode.
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    This is definitely a 'Marmite' game. You are either going to love it or hate it. Fans of the original Carrier Command will probably enjoy this remake if they jump into the strategy game rather than the campaign. From this point of view the experience is a good one.

The campaign is a little strange as they have added an FPS element to 'set the scene'. You can see why they did this, and it also seems like a good idea. Unfortunately the mechanics of the FPS portion are poor by today's standard and not really up to scratch. It is a shame as this is not what the game is about . The strategy elements are what Carrier Command is all about and all the FPS section achieves is to confuse the player as to what genre the game actually is. It is also unfortunate that the FPS segment takes up the first 30 minutes or so of the game, before you actually get your hands on the strategy elements.

Having said all this, I enjoyed the strategy elements of the campaign very much indeed. Here you take control of your Carrier which has a complement of 4 Mantas (planes) and 4 Walrus' (tanks). You can give the carrier and the vehicles waypoint orders or you can decide to control it yourself - in reality you'll be doing a mixture of both. Each island is defended by the enemies mantas and walrus' as well as an array of AA and AT guns and laser weilding soldiers. The idea being to take control of the command centre. In most cases it cannot be taken directly, you first have to take down a series of scramblers or other obstacles first to 'unlock' the command centre. The graphics are good with weather effects prominent. Driving you Manta or Walrus is a great feeling and the mechanics feel solid.

It took me around 50 hours to complete the campaign. Admittedly it can be done in a lot less time, but I really enjoyed the process of taking each island, trying to perfect my technique for each different island type.

There are a couple of well documented problems at the moment...

1. Issuing waypoint orders to the Walrus' (tanks) can be fiddly as the path finding AI often gets confused. This is especially the case when you order 3 Walrus' to 'follow' a lead walrus. I was getting rather frustrated with this until I realised that issuing individual waypoints to the Walrus' alleviated the problem.

2. The enemy carrier can be too easy to destroy. If you do this 'too early' in the campaign then the game sort of ignores that you destroyed it and acts as if it was never damaged at all. This is until the point you are supposed to kill it then all is OK.

Both of these issues are being addressed by BI, and will be released in a forthcoming patch. BI are also going to release modding tools for the game, which should help address some of the other gameplay issues. These issues are really game style choices that people have added to a 'wish list' of features. Some of these I expect will be added by BI and some will be modded in by the community.

Overall I am scoring this an 8 as I think that it is an excellent strategy game. The campaign is let down by the FPS portions, but you don't have to play this - the real meat is in the strategy game. My score also reflects the fact that the game is moddable which should ensure it's longevity and also some interesting directions in the future.

A.I. problems and hollow FPS segments aside, CC:GM offers a kind of gameplay that we don’t see that much these days. It remains faithful to the original Carrier Command, modernizing the basic recipe with an improved interface and meticulous tutorial, and grants complete freedom to the player, in game-changing decisions. [November 2012]
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    The patch fixed the awful route AI, and now the game is OK'ish, but somewhat bland. What it still most needs is more speed, both for the game and vehicles, and much less waiting. The FPS parts are as awful as Mr. Myrik's nasal British accent. [Jan 2013]
  3. Dec 17, 2012