8.3

1. Jan 25, 2012
    Cave Story is a return to a simple time of simple pleasures in all it's pixelated beauty. Very reminiscent of NES platformers like Metroid and Megaman, it is exemplary proof that adventure platformers can still hold up in a world where games are populated with chest-high walls and health regeneration. set on an island in the sky, the player controls Quote, an exploration robot who has lostCave Story is a return to a simple time of simple pleasures in all it's pixelated beauty. Very reminiscent of NES platformers like Metroid and Megaman, it is exemplary proof that adventure platformers can still hold up in a world where games are populated with chest-high walls and health regeneration. set on an island in the sky, the player controls Quote, an exploration robot who has lost his memory. Upon meeting the Mimiga, a race of small humanoid-bunny-like creatures, he soon learns of an evil scientist's plot to harness the power of the Mimiga to build his own personal army. Each stage has fantastic music sure to stick in your head long after you've completed the game. With different difficulty settings, hidden weapons and powerups, Cave Story Plus will keep you coming back for more. Expand
  2. May 23, 2012
    Incredible throwback title. Old school console on the pc, by a guy from nintendo. Im stuck on the last level, but its just my old reflexes! The multiple endings are simple and suave.
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    If old sprite graphics doesn't scare you - then this is very good game to play. it's Metroid-like 2-D adventure with huge map, hidden locations, power-ups that allow you to reach new locations and etc. Plus funny Mimga!
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    The stellar solo project of Dasuke Amaya gets a semi-remake, with a graphical overhaul and tons of new content. Cute, mysterious and addictive, Cave Story holds its place as one of the greatest platformers of all time.
  5. Jul 21, 2012
    (The original version is free!) This game is an all-out classic and inspirational work by an individual. You will experience a journey, an adventure of great imagination and originality. Like the animated movies of Miyazaki this is a masterful and ingenious Asian gem that can only hopefully be exposed to a wide international audience. Get it for free (yay internet) if you don't care for(The original version is free!) This game is an all-out classic and inspirational work by an individual. You will experience a journey, an adventure of great imagination and originality. Like the animated movies of Miyazaki this is a masterful and ingenious Asian gem that can only hopefully be exposed to a wide international audience. Get it for free (yay internet) if you don't care for updated graphics and soundtrack. Expand
  6. Jan 15, 2012
    Absolutely awesome. One of the best games I played this year. If you like 2d platformers or grew up playing SNES (e.g. Mega Man, Metroid, Castlevania) you'll love this.
  7. Nov 27, 2012
    Well, here it is. The king of Indie Games. A classic game with an amazing story, fun gameplay, and a good level of difficulty. So what exactly does the + version add? Sadly, not as much as $10 would be worth considering the original was free, but I got the game for $2.50 via Steam sale so I'm willing to let it slide. After all, this is still the Cave Story we've all come to know and love.Well, here it is. The king of Indie Games. A classic game with an amazing story, fun gameplay, and a good level of difficulty. So what exactly does the + version add? Sadly, not as much as $10 would be worth considering the original was free, but I got the game for $2.50 via Steam sale so I'm willing to let it slide. After all, this is still the Cave Story we've all come to know and love. Considering what they've added, I suppose the extra modes and the game itself gives it what seems like an amazing amount of replay value than your average game. However, left alone the additions seem like you're getting less bang for your buck if you buy it for the price it asks for. Then again, the game is still there. All its wondrous secrets, all its sublime gameplay, all its charm, all its great story and the price is easy to look away from due to the quality of the game itself. I highly recommend this game, despite its asking price for not many additions. Expand
  8. Jan 23, 2013
    A good game, but just a graphics update of the original cave story. It may be cool, but just get the original one instead of paying money for something that you can get a lot of the content of and like half of the graphics for free.
  9. Nov 1, 2013
    A masterpiece. A simply amazing experience with little to no flaws. Cave Story provides action, adventure, a great story, intense boss battles, amazing soundtrack, loving characters, great level design, and so much more. It is by far one of my most favorite games of all time, and I would recommend it to anyone.
  10. Mar 17, 2012
    8-Bit in its full fledged glory. I don't even like retro games yet this one was so flawless in every aspect that i couldn't resist. Not only that but its free.
  11. Aug 15, 2012
    People tend to say buying this game is like paying 10 euro for poor expansion of already free game. If you feel like that it's okay, but paying is not actual buying game. It's saying "thank you" for the great work made then and now, it's also getting a little gift in return. If you see no point in buying it, play free version. If you love it you'll come back. Cave Story is very addicting,People tend to say buying this game is like paying 10 euro for poor expansion of already free game. If you feel like that it's okay, but paying is not actual buying game. It's saying "thank you" for the great work made then and now, it's also getting a little gift in return. If you see no point in buying it, play free version. If you love it you'll come back. Cave Story is very addicting, fast-paced game mixing various game styles. It reminds of old games back then when boss fights were epic, challenging and unusual. Cave Story keep that rule too, you encounter many bosses and dozens of enemies on your way. Expand
  12. Jun 26, 2014
    If you are an old gamer like me, you'll like this game A LOT!!!
    It's short but has a high replay value (more endings and secrets to unlock).
    Awesome
  13. Apr 1, 2012
    Starting off, the player may not be too thrilled with the story, as it isn't until some digging has been done that all is revealed to the player. This version has been given an overhaul in the graphics department, bringing the indie classic into a 16/32-bit style. There are three versions of the critically acclaimed soundtrack to choose from, including the new 3DS arrangements. TheStarting off, the player may not be too thrilled with the story, as it isn't until some digging has been done that all is revealed to the player. This version has been given an overhaul in the graphics department, bringing the indie classic into a 16/32-bit style. There are three versions of the critically acclaimed soundtrack to choose from, including the new 3DS arrangements. The gameplay takes what gamers loved about classics such as Metroid, Megaman, and Castlevania and wrapped it into a delightful package.

Truly a love letter to an age of gaming long since past, and simply one of the best games ever made.
    Here is a game that is sure to withstand the test of time.

I do not, however, recommend this game to people who don't like fantastic/catchy music, old school gameplay, or charm in their video games.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    Got it for $2.50 on a steam sale. Totally worth it, BUT, make sure you are playing with a controller. Keyboard controls are klunky and a little bit annoying. With that being said and reading some of the reviews, I had no idea there was an original or what the "plus" entailed when I purchased this game. All I know is that my $2.50 has gone a long way, a hell of a lot further than aGot it for $2.50 on a steam sale. Totally worth it, BUT, make sure you are playing with a controller. Keyboard controls are klunky and a little bit annoying. With that being said and reading some of the reviews, I had no idea there was an original or what the "plus" entailed when I purchased this game. All I know is that my $2.50 has gone a long way, a hell of a lot further than a starbucks coffee would. Expand
  15. upi
    Jan 15, 2013
    Cave Story's charm lies in it's polished platforming, great pacing and an ability to connect with the player on an emotional level. You start out a stranger to a world, without instruction or introduction, but before long you will get involved with the world and it's characters a lot more than you'd expect from 2D platformer.
  16. Mar 31, 2013
    I was on the fence about buying this game but I am so glad I did. Never played the original Cave Story but this game was AMAZING. So much content for such a low price, a game this good would have cost $40 back in the day. Good story, good platforming, great action, great exploration make this game one for the ages. I believe a critic said it best with "the best nes/snes game neverI was on the fence about buying this game but I am so glad I did. Never played the original Cave Story but this game was AMAZING. So much content for such a low price, a game this good would have cost $40 back in the day. Good story, good platforming, great action, great exploration make this game one for the ages. I believe a critic said it best with "the best nes/snes game never released". No loading times, no queues, good music. Ability to choose when/if you upgrade your weapons during the story is nice. Although I beat it in about 7 hours, I replayed it 2 more times to get the other endings/weapons. Multiple difficulties if you aren't so great at old-school platformers like me Ability to change controls helped a lot on keyboard. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    I’m pretty burnt out on the whole indie retro fad but I enjoyed this game. Where I think a lot of these retro games go wrong is when they implement shoddy controls like the NES games of yore. That makes it not fun to play. I’m pleased to say that Cave Story has excellent controls, though, and is a lot of fun to play.

This reminded me of old NES games such as Metroid but felt like an

This reminded me of old NES games such as Metroid but felt like an improvement because it controls so well. The final boss fight was a challenge to beat, but not because it was cheap or frustrating. It was merely difficult and required some skill to get through.

I wish more retro games would stick to Cave Story’s formula and go with fun over frustration as a game mechanic.
  18. May 31, 2012
    This game has it all: great art style, simple controls, fun boss battles, interesting story, multiple endings and lots of unlockable content. Not for nothing is the king of indie games...long live the king!
  19. Apr 11, 2012
    Cave Story+ is a famous Japanese independent game that was originally released as freeware with a fan translation. This re-release offers a choice of playing with the original graphics and music, or the remastered graphics and music. Whatever your choice may be, the game is a well done fanfare reminiscent of the classic platform games on the NES and SNES. The keyboard controls takes someCave Story+ is a famous Japanese independent game that was originally released as freeware with a fan translation. This re-release offers a choice of playing with the original graphics and music, or the remastered graphics and music. Whatever your choice may be, the game is a well done fanfare reminiscent of the classic platform games on the NES and SNES. The keyboard controls takes some getting used to even though they are simple to learn, but you do have the option of rebinding the keys and using a gamepad. The plot is comparable the well established lore of yesteryear by being invited to save people and rid a world of evil. The enemies are stereotypically Japanese in design, as well as the overall game mechanics and boss battles. Some of the dialog can be slightly amusing and sometimes charming, but this once again, does not steer too much away from what we have grown accustomed to enjoy from the 80s and 90s console eras. The difficulty settings can be adjusted to your liking, and they each provide an adequate challenge depending on what option you have decided to go for. The power-up system rewards the players who go out of their way to collect dropped items from downed foes. Switching between each weapon rapidly can be tricky, but this does not hinder the player from enjoying the changes, as adapting comes somewhat quickly through your progress. The different weapons acquired throughout the game are all quite useful and play very different from each other. As you change between them, there is much satisfaction shooting down your enemies and conquering bosses. While the storyline is reminiscent of past decades, it is surprisingly unique, in addition to flowing and developing well. This appealing plot provides the player with plenty of entertainment for many hours as you progress through the story. After tougher areas or tougher boss battles, your weapons' levels go down quite a bit as you take damage, and gathering the necessary drops in order to get them back to full power can be a chore. Cave Story+ is full of retro charm, from its game play style to its artistic inventions. There is very little to complain about, as I cannot think of any serious flaws. The resolution settings do not allow for true full screen, as black borders will be placed at the sides. The platforming elements in conjunction with the shooting can sometimes take some skill and getting used to, especially in high action sections. Some portions of the game (namely some bosses) become quite frustrating, no matter what difficulty setting you are playing on. This forces the player to redo a part of the game again in order to face the same boss (or bosses). Each repetition is about five minutes or longer, which constitutes of a problem to me, as dying with certain bosses occurs often. It is a game that may not be for everyone if the genre is not to their liking, but overall, it is quite the accomplishment, especially if you keep in mind that it was designed entirely by one single person, and achieves such positive results. The music is nothing short of superb. It embodies all that was great from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras and makes it exceptional and complementing to the game's presentation and plot. There is also a considerable amount of replay ability, as there are unlockable game modes and four different endings. If you love platform games with shooter elements, this is a must play. If you are unsure about the genre, you owe it to yourself to give this indie classic a try. It took me about 7 hours to complete. Expand
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    A metroivania game with tight controls to rival the best of the 16 bit age, an awesome soundtrack and a story that hits you in surprising ways, I cannot recommend this game enough. Truly stellar.
  21. Dec 29, 2014
    If you've put off playing this game, you must put off putting off. This game is bloody fantastic.... has the charm of older generation games, but it's not dated, it holds up and will probably hold up for many decades to come. It's one of those games that you'll want a sequel as soon as you beat it. There's some underground methods of playing this game so I only wished I researched thisIf you've put off playing this game, you must put off putting off. This game is bloody fantastic.... has the charm of older generation games, but it's not dated, it holds up and will probably hold up for many decades to come. It's one of those games that you'll want a sequel as soon as you beat it. There's some underground methods of playing this game so I only wished I researched this (originally not worrying about spoilers) because you'll have to start from scratch to go the intended route... even after replaying I still enjoyed it. Expand
  22. Jun 1, 2013
    Cave Story+ is a pretty good 2D platformer which takes elements and aspects from different types of other genres such as shooters, RPG and action games. The game has a sarcastic eastern tone to it with a few internet meme references along with the fact that the game uses audio and a art style which was common in the 1980s and 1990s but is unique now. The game's storyline and charactersCave Story+ is a pretty good 2D platformer which takes elements and aspects from different types of other genres such as shooters, RPG and action games. The game has a sarcastic eastern tone to it with a few internet meme references along with the fact that the game uses audio and a art style which was common in the 1980s and 1990s but is unique now. The game's storyline and characters will make you enjoy your experience along with the sheer difficulty some of the levels and areas of the game will bring to you. Get this game on Steam while it is hot with the price it will be depending if its summer or winter. You will not regret the purchase of this game at all. Expand
  23. May 17, 2013
    It's worth ten dollars. I know that when I'm buying this game, Pixel's getting a cut of the money. I can't wait for his next project, Gero Blaster. 10/10 diamondium comets.
  24. Jul 16, 2013
    Cave story is a fantastic throwback to the NES and SNES days with near perfect design, memorable music and a great style. The game has a great amount of challenge that will test your gaming skills and has a mysterious and intriguing story. Only real problem I had with this game was the occasional difficulty spikes in bosses combined with a few far apart save points. Overall a fantasticCave story is a fantastic throwback to the NES and SNES days with near perfect design, memorable music and a great style. The game has a great amount of challenge that will test your gaming skills and has a mysterious and intriguing story. Only real problem I had with this game was the occasional difficulty spikes in bosses combined with a few far apart save points. Overall a fantastic game that will be considered a classic for years to come. Expand
  25. Nov 7, 2013
    This game was really fun to play through. Awesome characters, nice story and atmosphere and also good controls. The levels are nicely designed and all in all it's a great game.
  26. Aug 18, 2014
    Are you prepared to die and try again. or are you an expert at wht you do? cave story is a highly fun and addicting platformer for it gives you quite an experience and the story itself is pretty brilliant the game can only get better from playing and well being good. like the saying get good scrub could be the true name for cave story. for beginners the have a mode for you but if you trulyAre you prepared to die and try again. or are you an expert at wht you do? cave story is a highly fun and addicting platformer for it gives you quite an experience and the story itself is pretty brilliant the game can only get better from playing and well being good. like the saying get good scrub could be the true name for cave story. for beginners the have a mode for you but if you truly want tot experience the game you oughta put it on normal or hard. the graphics and level design are very good! and the amazing part is the user based decisions. such as do i want to go here? do i want to fight them? what next? some of those decisions affect the gameplay and plat. the game truly is beautiful. some faults are manual save but aswell that gives the player a responsibility making the game more challenging if you forget to save on a specific part of a level and you die you may be pushed back a couple levels or just a bit behind. if you want an extra challenge try no saving unless you have to leave and go else where. the game is really fun you should buy it its worth the money thanks for reading! Expand
  27. Apr 10, 2015
    Its a metriod style indie game that is simply great. I think the game is well built, the graphics are good, there's a good sense of progression, and its fun to explore. The only real problem is that the way you get some of the better endings to the games make no sense and is cryptic.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    An indie classic on par with Braid or Limbo. [March 2012, p.50]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 27, 2012
    Retro fun at its best – catching story, long life span, absorbing playability and beautiful visuals. The only disadvantage is the old freeware version which is almost as good as this improved one. [Jan 2012]
  3. Feb 8, 2012
    Cave Story+ is quite an engaging, an entertaining, even nostalgic experience if you are inclined to be swept over by a wave of nostalgia. An ideal game for everyone, who is longing for classical times of video games, and who is not ashamed of it.