5.8

1. Dec 23, 2013
    Cities XL 2011 on initial impressions looks great. The graphical style is really nice, there are lots of different maps to chose from and there are many different types of structures and services at your disposal in building the city of your dreams. There are some other nice features such as being able to trade resources between cities and you can also zoom right in to see cars andCities XL 2011 on initial impressions looks great. The graphical style is really nice, there are lots of different maps to chose from and there are many different types of structures and services at your disposal in building the city of your dreams. There are some other nice features such as being able to trade resources between cities and you can also zoom right in to see cars and people at close-ups. It is also quite convenient that you can zone properties very quickly rather than having to click for each new house you would like to build.

Unfortunately, the initial great impression is only skin deep and the game is at its core, quite lifeless. There is very little feedback given to you as the player, forcing you to rely merely on the text presented to you. Despite the fact you see cars and people around the city, it just feels really empty. The music while decent, has the potential to make you fall asleep, and the interface is quite clunky with many different tabs which I constantly get lost in. The game's optimisation is also not great, with even my new computer struggling once cities reach a certain size. At the end of the day, Cities XL 2011 succeeds in presentation, but lets itself down in its implementation. If you want a great city builder I would suggest you pick up Simcity 4 instead. Tropico 4 is also a good city builder option as well.
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    I always thought I should enjoy the city simulator genre but I really don’t! I just find myself losing interest quickly, I have no idea what I’m doing and sitting staring at cars and people running around just gets annoying… I can say it’s a very nice looking game, however it has quite a clunky interface which makes it look dated and it’s exactly the same as Cities XL (seriously it’s theI always thought I should enjoy the city simulator genre but I really don’t! I just find myself losing interest quickly, I have no idea what I’m doing and sitting staring at cars and people running around just gets annoying… I can say it’s a very nice looking game, however it has quite a clunky interface which makes it look dated and it’s exactly the same as Cities XL (seriously it’s the same game who are they trying to kid?) I sincerely doubt that 2012, or potential platinum or titanium editions will be any different to 2011 either… However city builders aren't exactly in an abundance so if you enjoy the genre, you may like this! Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a simulation game in which you are going to create and develop a city . Is very similar to the Sim City franchise. You will build roads, house's complexes, commerce locals, industries, police stations, hospitals, airports,etc. As you keep progressing you will unlock new buildings and other things The game has a lot of complexity (like trading with other cities), which is goodThis is a simulation game in which you are going to create and develop a city . Is very similar to the Sim City franchise. You will build roads, house's complexes, commerce locals, industries, police stations, hospitals, airports,etc. As you keep progressing you will unlock new buildings and other things The game has a lot of complexity (like trading with other cities), which is good for fans of this type of games. Graphics are nice. If you like Steam achievements i have bad news, this game does not have them. It is a nice game, although it gets a little bit boring and is not as good as Sim City. Expand
  4. Feb 18, 2012
    The first time I played this game, I really felt empty. It is just plain dead. Buildings just pop out and do not undergo a construction phase. It doesn't feel like a city at all. It feels more like a ghost town. Add the kiddie cartoon styled citizens and you'll immediately know that something is really wrong in this city building sim. I just don't understand why a city sim must have theThe first time I played this game, I really felt empty. It is just plain dead. Buildings just pop out and do not undergo a construction phase. It doesn't feel like a city at all. It feels more like a ghost town. Add the kiddie cartoon styled citizens and you'll immediately know that something is really wrong in this city building sim. I just don't understand why a city sim must have the kiddie cartoon style characters there. Not to mention the stationary ship on the harbour. Maybe the game developers target 6-7 year old gamers??? The only thing that is right here is the graphics engine, all others are epic fail... Expand
  5. Oct 20, 2011
    Dont buy this game! Both gameplay and interfaces are sluggish and the sound design is horrible. The game looks years old both in graphics and just about everything else. I have a high end PC so it's not that I can't use it's full potensial.
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    I have a number of deal-breaker problems with this game and the company that made it. Overall, the game is bordering on fun, but the problems that I have run into have made it unbearable to play.

First, the graphics system implementation seems to have missed a few steps in the testing process. I have a Radeon HD 5800 series video card in my laptop which is a fairly common series. Add into this the fact that I keep the drivers up-to-date and don't make drastic customizations to the display/card settings and I feel confident in saying that I shouldn't run into many out-of-the-box problems. However, I have yet to get the game to successfully change resolution. I've tried all the resolutions that my monitor and card combination will support (including an external monitor), but it all ends with a stuck on top white box and an not responding game. Since I run the game through Steam, where I purchased it, I automatically have the latest version of the game and still no change.

Second, related to the first problem, is the absolute lack of support from the publisher. I've e-mailed them, checked their website, and even tried to get into their non-existent forums and the result has been total silence. No, auto-response email telling me that the e-mail I sent arrived and they will get to it when they are good and ready (not even one telling me to "check my drivers"). As with other companies I have dealt with in the past where the only reliable response was no response, I have to assume that they aren't listening and will probably appear in a short news story about another developer bankruptcy. I think that I have a pretty reasonable expectation in terms of support from most developers when I ask that they post a few FAQs and maybe a functional forum with posts about known problems.

Finally, is the mixed bag that is the game play itself. I like the models and rendering that is used in the game, and I think the interface is functional if a bit simplistic. The removal of a lot of the normal city simulation micromanagement is tolerable since it has struck an acceptable balance between detailed control and needless effort. I really enjoy the supply and demand implementation that gives very quick, visual feedback concerning your addition of new services and zones. Unfortunately, the road system is very difficult manage and makes it very difficult to set up a grid system city. In addition to the overly, snap oriented road system is a camera control system that makes it extraordinarily difficult to get a useful perspective on what you are trying to do with your city.

In summary, the game has great potential with poor implementation and absolutely awful technical support. I'd recommend not buying it and using the money to convince someone to make a real sequel to the Maxis SimCity games.
  7. Jun 2, 2011
    An ambitious city simulator that is one of the closest attempts in recent times to equal Maxis' legends. It has very impressive graphics and deeper gameplay than many other recent shallow offerings of this genre, but is let down by a lack of polish in some areas. The road system is fiddly to upgrade (requiring demolition and starting again) and despite finally having the ability to curveAn ambitious city simulator that is one of the closest attempts in recent times to equal Maxis' legends. It has very impressive graphics and deeper gameplay than many other recent shallow offerings of this genre, but is let down by a lack of polish in some areas. The road system is fiddly to upgrade (requiring demolition and starting again) and despite finally having the ability to curve roads, this system leaves much to be desired (roundabouts 'absorb' cars like a building; there's no animation of traffic on them). Despite being a little longwinded and inelegant at times, Cities XL 2011 can engross any keen city-builder and is worth a look on the long wait for Sim City 5. Expand
  8. Jun 2, 2011
    Visually stunning laggy accounting simulator. If you wanna have some fun, steer clear from this one and head towards SimCity 4 Rush Hour or even better Tropico 3 Absolute Power.
  9. May 5, 2011
    When I first played the game I already had then the feeling the game still has a long road to make to reach the greatness of the Simcity games. The game just didn't felt finished more like a beta game.
    But I believe that if this project continues to improve it does reach the greatness of the Simcity games.
    What it already has is: - Stunning graphics - Looking in your city and walking in
    What it already has is:

- Stunning graphics
    - Looking in your city and walking in a horizontal angle (something Simcity never had and is so important in the next-gen city game because the city feels much more different in that angle)
    - Enormous maps enough space to build
    - The strategy in the game is already pretty good but some changes still wouldn't hurt

What the game still needs:

- A big modding community because the developer of the game just can't put al the wishes of the player in de game a modding community can. (example: Simcity 4 had a great modding community because Maxis promoted the to be the architect himself of a building by giving the gamers BAT which worked out pretty well many mods were looking professional and helped making the game even greater en greatly extended the fun in the game)
    - Building a city is sometimes annoying because the road snaps to fast on another road or if you place a building it deletes an other building while you don't want it to be deleted. So that can be improved
    - You can't make your own map you have to choose between already designed maps and the tools you get to modify the map are bad and you have only 3 landtools.
    - Ow and please those technical issues are a pain in the ass. Even the best computers struggle if you have a normal sized city. And the game crashes fast which is annoying if you didn't saved the game

There sure are more things to say about what's great and not great about the game but even when it still isn't the next-gen city game it definitely has the potential to become it and in my opinion it is the greatest try so far since Simcity.

10. May 3, 2011
    Comparing this game to SC4 is beside the point. The most relevant comparison is Cities XL. This game is a re-release. You can't review out of context: this game already exists, with all the same bugs. Improved trading network? Build three cities, A trades to B, B to C, C to A... then do the devious thing. Back to school, if you call that improved. The decent thing would have been to useComparing this game to SC4 is beside the point. The most relevant comparison is Cities XL. This game is a re-release. You can't review out of context: this game already exists, with all the same bugs. Improved trading network? Build three cities, A trades to B, B to C, C to A... then do the devious thing. Back to school, if you call that improved. The decent thing would have been to use the DLC model. Expand
  11. Mar 13, 2011
    If you've played games like Simcity 3k and Simcity 4, give this game a miss. It, in no way, is like those games. Sure, it has curved roads and good graphics but the sountrack is very monotonous, the gameplay tremendously boring and the overall concept is just like 'what?'. I mean, the trading thing is a whole load of rubbish and the game gives you achievements at least 10 minutes afterIf you've played games like Simcity 3k and Simcity 4, give this game a miss. It, in no way, is like those games. Sure, it has curved roads and good graphics but the sountrack is very monotonous, the gameplay tremendously boring and the overall concept is just like 'what?'. I mean, the trading thing is a whole load of rubbish and the game gives you achievements at least 10 minutes after you've actually achieved a specific target. And i cant stand the 'bankruptcy' symbol that plagues almost every single commercial building. The game has many bad issues but i do admit, players get to choose specific locations like alps, desert islands, green valleys where to build cities. About 6/10 i'd say. Expand
  12. Feb 8, 2011
    City building games have sadly been ignored by the game companies for a long time. Simcity Societies was a huge disappointment and Sierra's city builder-series seems to have ended with Caesar IV. Therefore it's nice to see a new addition in this genre. Cities XL 2011 is a worthy successor to Simcity 4. Many things which I found irritating in SC 4 are much better in Cities XL such asCity building games have sadly been ignored by the game companies for a long time. Simcity Societies was a huge disappointment and Sierra's city builder-series seems to have ended with Caesar IV. Therefore it's nice to see a new addition in this genre. Cities XL 2011 is a worthy successor to Simcity 4. Many things which I found irritating in SC 4 are much better in Cities XL such as micromanagement with utilities and public transportation. This allows the player to concentrate in the more enjoyable parts of city building. The trading aspect from original multiplayer Cities XL is still there and it encourages to specialize the cities so that the player can trade utilities and products between them. There is a lot of nice landmarks and special buildings which offer a nice challenge to build.

This all is very nice and makes for a very addictive city building experience. However, the game suffers from major technical issues that make playing it a pain. The game slows down to an unplayable crawl very quickly because some memory leak issues. Focus hasn't so far done anything to fix these issues and therefore the game is not enjoyable to play as it is. Unless these issues are patched I really can't recommend buying Cities XL 2011.
  13. Feb 5, 2011
    This game is a huge disappointment. I bought the original Cities XL limited edition when it was first released and it was one bungled affair. The re-release of the same game as XL-2011 is a mocking kick in the face to original players. There are still issues with the game play that have gone unresolved since first launch, and the fact that the game was originally intended as a MMOThis game is a huge disappointment. I bought the original Cities XL limited edition when it was first released and it was one bungled affair. The re-release of the same game as XL-2011 is a mocking kick in the face to original players. There are still issues with the game play that have gone unresolved since first launch, and the fact that the game was originally intended as a MMO (which failed miserably) still leave certain elements of the trading and city specialization aspects grossly underutilized. The road system and upgrades make future planning major headaches. If you want a great city simulator, go back and install SimCity3k. While this game has some great visuals and other more advanced elements (like curved roads) that the old city sims don't have...you should not be rewarding a company that has underachieved and misled its loyal users over and over again. Bad companies deserve to fail, no matter how mediocre the product is. Collapse
  14. Jan 31, 2011
    Cities XL 2011 has great visuals. The amount of information it gives you to help your city planning is very good. The idea that each city can become specialized and help each other is a wonderful idea. Yet there is a fun factor that this game never fully achieves. If you are like me you will spend a day, maybe three, then move on to something else. My advice is this: If you have aCities XL 2011 has great visuals. The amount of information it gives you to help your city planning is very good. The idea that each city can become specialized and help each other is a wonderful idea. Yet there is a fun factor that this game never fully achieves. If you are like me you will spend a day, maybe three, then move on to something else. My advice is this: If you have a terrible itch for a city planning game by all means buy this one, but if you just want to relive the fun of the Simcity series... Just reinstall. Expand
  15. Feb 5, 2011

Great visuals cannot hide the fact Cities XL 2011 game works only on well-established principles and brings no revolution to this genre. Everything works well but there is no space for surprise for anyone. [Issue#199]
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    Cities XL 2011 is an astoundingly complete game, which further enhances the quality of the previous game. It has almost infinite gameplay options, and although we miss a more human approach to our inhabitants, it has incredible management options for our city.
  3. Jan 11, 2011
    If you like the management games genre, keep in mind that CITIES XL tries to simplify every aspect of the gameplay you are accustomed to, but you still might like it.