Cities XL Platinum PC

5.6

1. Mar 31, 2013
    This can very well be the new SimCity if the performance issues are addressed. A bit disappointing to see the electric boogaloo (ie a sequel with minimal new features). However, this game still beats SimCity, there's a lot of things to do and traffic problems can actually be resolved. The performance is an ongoing issue, even with high end machines you will end up with super low frame rateThis can very well be the new SimCity if the performance issues are addressed. A bit disappointing to see the electric boogaloo (ie a sequel with minimal new features). However, this game still beats SimCity, there's a lot of things to do and traffic problems can actually be resolved. The performance is an ongoing issue, even with high end machines you will end up with super low frame rate after 30 mins of playing. Overall, the contents are good, the performance are bad. Would be good if this game can use IRISZOOM like Wargame:European Esclation Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Graphically excellent. Easy to learn. Manual is appalling for a game where you need to understand what's going on inside the system to do well. Game soon becomes repetitive and limited. The problem is that the internal systems are fairly basic. This is NOT Sim City. If Sim City is champagne, this is beer in a pretty package. Fun for an evening or two, but no more than that.
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    This is really the highest score I can give to the Cities XL.Because there are many unrealistic elements about the city.In a city builder game.Sounds kind of weird eh?Anyway game is enjoyable with all the nice mods.Still even in a high performance PC(because of its optimization problems I guess.It lags a lot.Buy it when it's on sale and if you got bored of the new Sim city.
  4. Mar 17, 2013
    I have 10 years of experience playing city simulation games, Simcity 2000, Simcity 3000, Simcity 4, Simcity Societies, City Life, and Now Cities XL Platinum. During the time period and technologically era, Sim City 4 had to be my favorite. I was planning on getting the new SimcIty (2013 Version) but I heard it was completely f**ked up, It was going to be a great game but EA ruined it.I have 10 years of experience playing city simulation games, Simcity 2000, Simcity 3000, Simcity 4, Simcity Societies, City Life, and Now Cities XL Platinum. During the time period and technologically era, Sim City 4 had to be my favorite. I was planning on getting the new SimcIty (2013 Version) but I heard it was completely f**ked up, It was going to be a great game but EA ruined it. Cities XL platinum, does have a ton of space to make your city very large, it's easy to manage a city in a small size but get harder as you increase its size but then that creates more gpu usage. After about 13 hours of game play it crashed twice. The game has decent graphics, can be addicting and see your whole city that the size of New York,, the game automatically saves and you have a low chance of losing your progress. When i play the game, it sounds average to me. Basically I think the game is better than Simcity as of now but still Cities XL Platinum still has some issues but I can recommend this game to anyone that are fans of City Simulation Games that quit Simcity from all the problems it's having. Not as fun as the old simcity where it had it's disasters but still good with it. Expand
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    Found this game to have a lot of potential and some great features, especially the progression of unlocking different building and zones which stop your from getting over whelmed and over stretched at the start.

However it has some funny quirks and weird problems which do stop the game from flowing the right direction. Still any fans of city building games will likely get a lot of

Still any fans of city building games will likely get a lot of time from this and is enjoyable for the most part.
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    first,without mod and xlnation.net ,i will rate it at most 5.0,it is just playable,the game default setting of placing the building is just brainless and useless.
    of course the biggest problem is the lag,Game optimization is like ****
    also,without mod,the plaza to build on the road side too few,and the fountain in the plaza is like paper also,the retail need of the game setting is very
    of course the biggest problem is the lag,Game optimization is like ****
    also,the retail need of the game setting is very unreal,u think whole 20 buildings of residents can depend on one small shop to live?

but ,thanks for it that can be modded ,and thank for that net ,this game become playable,of course,the lag problem is still here.
    but,with the mod,this game become much more playable and fit the real world.
    such as the basic mods :increase the retail needs,and one cheat building to make money(each one make 1 000 000(in real world i do not think city is just making money for Goverment)
    and also with the tree mods,u can put plaza or put trees by urself one by one.
    so it is not a bad game indeed,but because the game itself with the mod is bad,so it is only worthy to buy when 75% off.
    u also need some basics on city design if u want make the city perfect.
  7. Aug 8, 2014
    I can't recommend Platinum version to anyone who already has any previous versions of this game. They haven't implemented any performance improvements so the game still suffers from lag when you have a huge city. The only extras in the platinum version are a couple of new buildings.

I've spent a lot of hours with this game but the performance issues eventually makes playing it a chore.
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    If I could divide my rating for this game between two different aspects, I'd give the core gameplay 10, while what I define as "delivery", for the lack of a better word, gets a mere 1. Just to clarify I'm not a troll, I don't tend to go around bashing games I don't like. I'm writing this review only because I feel the game could've been a true masterpiece, if it wasn't for the bugs andIf I could divide my rating for this game between two different aspects, I'd give the core gameplay 10, while what I define as "delivery", for the lack of a better word, gets a mere 1. Just to clarify I'm not a troll, I don't tend to go around bashing games I don't like. I'm writing this review only because I feel the game could've been a true masterpiece, if it wasn't for the bugs and technical problems.

As far as gameplay is concerned, this game is a gem. It's the best city planner I've ever played. It's balanced, deep, complex, yet graphic and easy to get into.

So what's my problem? My problem is that the game is buggy on the verge of being broken. I won't go into the small and meaningless bugs, like missing building names and stuff like that. What I'm really talking about is the performance when managing larger cities. As long as your city is small and low on population, the game runs very well. The problem starts when your city grows and gains population, which is one of the goals in this game, I suppose. :P

As soon as the city becomes large enough, the game starts to stutter like crazy, with the frame-rate dropping drastically, and I do mean *drastically*! To make it clear, I've been running the game on a fairly decent hardware, to say the least, that is a computer with an Intel i7 Quad-Core CPU, 16GB RAM and a Geforce GTX 465 graphics adapter. Such hardware can easily deal with much newer, heavier and resource-thirsty games. According to research I've been doing online, the games has major memory leak problems, and doesn't support multi-core CPUs, which apparently, nobody cares to fix. Regardless of the reasons, the fact remains, that this game doesn't play well, even on today's high end gaming configurations.

All in all, I can't do anything but express my disappointment, since I'm sure I would've really enjoyed that game if it played smoothly.
  9. May 17, 2014
    A city building game. Yet another? This game is part of a class that normally belongs to SimCity, and it does not stand out compared to other games in its class, which is a shame because it could have been a good game developers have therefore contented to a construction game like all the others, without distinction. It will be a 5.

There are no critic reviews yet.