• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Apr 27, 2004
8.4

1. Oct 4, 2012
    with a powerful character creator and a wealth of well written (if slightly repetitive) content, City of Heroes truly is a hidden gem of the MMO Genre.
  2. Jun 20, 2012
    Big thumbs up to one of the best MMOs nobody every played.

Big thumbs up to one of the best MMOs nobody every played.

This game includes a lot of features you wish you saw more in games, such as dynamic and settable difficulty, dynamic missions, a crapton of PvE and PvP arena and zones, time traveling pve missions, custom missions designing, heavily upgradable guild bases & associated raids and artifact control, real-time permanent order based auctions... also.. well, you get it.
    All this in a well made superheroes city environment, neat in-depth costumes customizations, a load of different superpowers, and generally somewhat good music!

No really. This game is great. The only very big problem is that there's so few people playing it that three quarters of the features are unused, such as pvp arenas, and often the pvp zones... Hopefully you can still find people for some heroic coop action.
  3. Oct 1, 2010
    The greatest and most addictive game ever. If you've ever wanted to be part of a hero comic book, if you've ever wanted to fight for truth and justice, or if you've always wanted to be part of a team that is unique and yet the same, then City of Heroes is for you. And if it isn't buy it anyway and give it a try.
  4. JamesB.
    May 10, 2004
    This is game is one of the best games out there at this point. This game gets a 10 and nothing below.
  5. GrahamJ.
    Jun 13, 2004
    Man this game is so awesome i played it at a friends house and now i'm gonna go buy a new comp so i can buy it and play too!!!
  6. DavidC.
    Sep 8, 2004
    A game not perfected yet but inching closer all the time thanks to a dedicated and intelligent design team willing to admit when they make mistakes.
  7. HarrisC.
    May 7, 2004
    Right out of the gate let me just say if you rated this game lower then 8 stop what you are doing and open up solitaire in the desktop, this is more your speed. For those of you looking for a new game, look no further. If you have broadband this is the most original, engrossing, and entertaining game out there. I know I have played almost all of the good ones. The only downside to the Right out of the gate let me just say if you rated this game lower then 8 stop what you are doing and open up solitaire in the desktop, this is more your speed. For those of you looking for a new game, look no further. If you have broadband this is the most original, engrossing, and entertaining game out there. I know I have played almost all of the good ones. The only downside to the game is the is that if you have a job, friends, family or significant other you need to put them on notice of the help you will need after impending canceling sessions to fight you newfound addiction. They need to put a worming on the side of the box in bold letters about this. Seriously this game can be all things to all people due to the fact that there are so many ways to play this game and so many side options. If you are not having fun start over and try something different I promise there is something in there for you. Expand
  8. J.D.
    May 9, 2004
    Chris -- that is not a review of City of Heroes; your input is a useless reaffirmation of the fee schedule for *ANY* MMORPG. You would have to try very hard to avoid the notice on the outside of the box in order to feign outrage about subscription fees. Good job. Pros: -Great character customization -Immersive world of NPCs -Graphics fit perfectly with theme Cons: -Lack of variety in Chris -- that is not a review of City of Heroes; your input is a useless reaffirmation of the fee schedule for *ANY* MMORPG. You would have to try very hard to avoid the notice on the outside of the box in order to feign outrage about subscription fees. Good job. Pros: -Great character customization -Immersive world of NPCs -Graphics fit perfectly with theme Cons: -Lack of variety in missions and enemies -Not enough content for subscription-based entertainment -High-level/End-game lacks motivator. Expand
  9. BradC.
    Jun 2, 2004
    This game absolutely rocks!
  10. LeonF.
    Mar 13, 2004
    This is the game for 2004 because you can build your own character with their own super powers and even fly!! you can do missions and be on a team!!. If your want to find out more about this game go to www.cityofheroes.com, You wont be sorry.
  11. DrewC.
    Apr 20, 2004
    This is one of the Best MMORPG's that I have ever played. The game is almost worth your 50 bucks just creating a character. But not only do you get to vreate a character, you get to control him (or her) and put his powers to use!
    Apr 30, 2004
    This game will own you. It is great to be doing cool stuff right away. Definitely no killing rats for the first week of playing.
  13. Lou
    May 10, 2004
    Well worth the monthly fee..and more fun than any other online game i've played...you're sure to enjoy it!
  14. XZealot
    May 6, 2004
    Having played superhero games in the past this one is definantly the cream of the crop. Easy gameplay, great animations, and a non-inventory based economy. I have to hold myself back from playing it all day long. It is so easy just to get lost in the game, but I have "real-world" obligations that keep me from putting in 4 hour blocks. I generally play about 30 minutes to 1 hour a day and Having played superhero games in the past this one is definantly the cream of the crop. Easy gameplay, great animations, and a non-inventory based economy. I have to hold myself back from playing it all day long. It is so easy just to get lost in the game, but I have "real-world" obligations that keep me from putting in 4 hour blocks. I generally play about 30 minutes to 1 hour a day and it is great! I can pick up where I left off, and if I become frustrated with a mission then I go get one from another contact. I do that one and then come back and complete the one that frustrated me. I LOVE IT! Expand
  15. KingSlayer
    May 6, 2004
    George S. and Cory S. have A.D.D. I have played this game since late beta, and I am into my first month of play. Graphics can't be beat. Sound is good. Customazation is GREAT. Game play is very good. Single play is poor. IMO Group play is great. I was a necro in EQ, I loved to solo. I can't stand to solo in this game. When you were a warrior in EQ, just stand there and George S. and Cory S. have A.D.D. I have played this game since late beta, and I am into my first month of play. Graphics can't be beat. Sound is good. Customazation is GREAT. Game play is very good. Single play is poor. IMO Group play is great. I was a necro in EQ, I loved to solo. I can't stand to solo in this game. When you were a warrior in EQ, just stand there and auto-fight... booooring. In CoH, you actually have to earn your exp. You actually have the opprotunity to SUCK at the game. This is great IMO. The super powers are hinkey in that you have to choose powers and alternate powers. If you stick your enhancement slots in the wrong place, it will impact your character for a while. Flight! Wooo! Who never wanted to fly? or Teleport, or run like the wind. Travel powers in this game are great. I will be playing this game for at least a year. I'm looking for more content to arrive. City of Villans, should be cool. and a nice addition to the game. Expand
  16. SteveG.
    May 8, 2004
    Crazy cool and polished graphics...not too much lag and the character creation is a killer.....top game of the year....even if its still arepeat og thugs kicking.....
  17. ChrisD.
    Jun 14, 2004
    I have been playing this game for about a week now and this is the most fun I have had with a game for a very long time. There are a few down sides to this game. There no good story line to the mission. I you are into that sort of thing that might be a problem. The missions can also be a bit vague about where you need to go. Overall I have to give this game a nine because it really just I have been playing this game for about a week now and this is the most fun I have had with a game for a very long time. There are a few down sides to this game. There no good story line to the mission. I you are into that sort of thing that might be a problem. The missions can also be a bit vague about where you need to go. Overall I have to give this game a nine because it really just designed to play with other people or alone and have fun. If that's what you want from a game then I recommend getting this one. Expand
  18. MiikkaK.
    Feb 16, 2005
    An excellent game that really makes you feel like a superhero!
  19. ArtB.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This is a great MMO for a casual player like me. I can login, play a mission, and log off, all within 30 minutes There is no big penalty for dying leveling up hasn't been tedious at all, and its really easy to fight guys when you want to and avoid them otherwise. All in all, its the perfect MMO for a casual gamer like me.
  20. AdyB.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Have very much enjoyed playing COH - but I do wonder whether I am going to get rather bored with it fairly soon: there isn't much by way of variety - the core gameplay is simple monster-bashing. But standing round dressed in a crazy costume, chatting to people and larking about (there are some funny preset actions you can do, yoga, dancing, waving etc) is fun - until the novelty Have very much enjoyed playing COH - but I do wonder whether I am going to get rather bored with it fairly soon: there isn't much by way of variety - the core gameplay is simple monster-bashing. But standing round dressed in a crazy costume, chatting to people and larking about (there are some funny preset actions you can do, yoga, dancing, waving etc) is fun - until the novelty wears off! But I reckon I've got my money's worth so far, so I'll give it an 8. Expand
  21. Peter
    Jul 16, 2007
    Adding variety to a fantasy dominated genre, with a nice atmosphere and relaxed gameplay, this game continues to entertain me even though the gameplay may feature little less than combat and the engine may be old and wonky. Relatively frequent updates of content over the years add new stuff to explore over time.
  22. MountainMan
    Apr 25, 2009
    The most customisable online game ther eis on the market. Costumes, powers, missions, maps, all can be altered as you see fit. There is truely no other game on the market that will let your imagination run riot. Combat is hilarious fun. There is no other game I can think of with so much ease of use, yet difficult to master gameplay like this. Combat is laugh out loud funny at best and The most customisable online game ther eis on the market. Costumes, powers, missions, maps, all can be altered as you see fit. There is truely no other game on the market that will let your imagination run riot. Combat is hilarious fun. There is no other game I can think of with so much ease of use, yet difficult to master gameplay like this. Combat is laugh out loud funny at best and mildy grinding at worst. Your graphics card and monitor will love you for the rioutous colours on display at all times as powers and punches zing about. On the downside, the game was never as deep or polished as other MMOS on the market so it must suffer in score for it. To sum up the review, its a flawed masterpiece. The most fun MMO out there tempered with the fact that it cannot expand much more as a game on its limited engine. Expand
  23. MichaelF
    Sep 7, 2009
    I started playing a year ago and I am completely captivated by the gameplay. Exploring the city and finding missions I haven't played yet is very rewarding. Playing the player-generated story arcs created in the AE Building is an absolute blast. Ignore the farms, check out the stories that have been created!
  24. BlakeT.
    Nov 11, 2004
    Up to this point and at present, there has never been a better developed and more thought-out game. This games design is amazingly intuitive and incredibly easy to navigate. Unlike a lot of MMOs, the controls and game management don't get in the way of some seriously fun gameplay. And, with each new patch and issue release, you get innovation. Evidence of this masterpiece can be seen Up to this point and at present, there has never been a better developed and more thought-out game. This games design is amazingly intuitive and incredibly easy to navigate. Unlike a lot of MMOs, the controls and game management don't get in the way of some seriously fun gameplay. And, with each new patch and issue release, you get innovation. Evidence of this masterpiece can be seen in current release, who are desperately stealing this game's design and innovation for their own. I've played Everyquest (I and II), Asheron's Call, SWG, and FFXI. This one tops them all. I still can't resist playing this game, long after FFXI got boring and old. Expand
  25. AlbertoF.
    Dec 26, 2004
    It is the best game period.
  26. DeborahP.
    Apr 13, 2004
    This game is nothing but fun! You can easily spend over an hour just designing your character and costume. There are so many options! Then, once in game, the missions are fun and it's easy to find groups to play with. Game-play is smooth, with no noticable lag and few glichtes (though I am playing beta). Even during the busiest play times, there are plenty of things to do or bad-guys This game is nothing but fun! You can easily spend over an hour just designing your character and costume. There are so many options! Then, once in game, the missions are fun and it's easy to find groups to play with. Game-play is smooth, with no noticable lag and few glichtes (though I am playing beta). Even during the busiest play times, there are plenty of things to do or bad-guys to catch; you never feel like the world is too crowded with people stealing each other's glory. When a mission takes place in a building or cave, your group gets its own instance of that location, so there will be no other players interupting your quest. The only downside is a lack of PvP, though the AI of the mobs is amazing. Expand
  27. ArtegK.
    Apr 13, 2004
    This game is da man ... i mean game yeah err the only thing.
  28. BayardB.
    Apr 18, 2004
    I'm in beta and I have to say that this game is great. Even if you are only a casual gamer (or an extremely hardcore gamer) you are probably going to have a lot of fun playing this game. Costumes, powers, villains, and missions are all fun and well thought out. I will be extremely surprised if City of Heroes is not recognized as a great game.
  29. RobertS.
    Apr 28, 2004
    Great game!
  30. RobertS.
    Apr 28, 2004
    Great game!

1. Anyone new to the genre can certainly make this a choice without expecting to get in too deep and losing their way, while seasoned MMORPGers can have a blast playing out their superhero dreams.
  2. The overall quality of the game cannot be denied, and if you're a comic book fan, or like MMORPG's, or both, you owe it to yourself to see what City of Heroes is all about.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    An original superhero MMORPG that has excellent character creation and a well-designed world. Gameplay is quite combat-intensive and the game lacks sufficient content to stay interesting for longer periods of time. [Feb. 05]