8.9

1. Mar 19, 2014
    Ah the great civilization before mainstream gamers discovered it.... You were an ubernerd if you played this and nowadays people active like theyre die hard CIV fans for like civ 5 rofl.... Civ 5 is HORRIBLE.... This game is the best civilization game, maybe 3 is on par with it but all CIVs after it had terrible diplomacy and AI, the main focus of the game DOESNT WORK PROPERLY XD I just cant understand how people can waste hundreds of hours playing civ4 and civ5 when its obvious you are playing alone, the AI are just retarded placeholders.

In Civ 2 they really felt like allies or adversaries having just as much impact on the game as the player. I wish gaming returned to this era of gameplay over graphics instead of the **** we got now.
  2. Jul 30, 2013
    This is definitely good game. But not excellent. I am fan of Civilization series, played a lot even Civilization I (which, in my opinion is slightly better than this). And I'll try to explain, why.

Despite so addictive gameplay, graphics could be better (at least more user friendly, more readable). Also when your civilization is big enough there are too many unnecessary clicks at the
    endgame dealing with cities micromanagement. Barbarian spawning is not logical. And unhappy people in the cities at the endgame are too annoying and again not so logical too. City management interface could be better. For example when you are in the city mode, you cannot see amount of maintenance cost. Expand
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    17 years on and Civ II is one of the greats. For anyone willing to invest a few hours to learn the game mechanics, they will find a world that is as immersive, expansive, and definitely addictive as any modern game. Plus you get to learn about history! The graphics for the time were excellent, as was the sound design(!). I personally sunk many hundreds of hours into this one as a teenager... time well spent! Expand
  4. May 17, 2013
    This is the second best computer game I have ever played. And I played it nearly continuously for a period of six years. I could not recommend it more strongly.

Civ 3 didn't cut it, though Civ 4 is also very good.

(The best game ever? Hearts of Iron 2)
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    If I even hear the music to this game I'm glued to the screen for the next 9 hours. Very addictive and just a down right glorious game. This game captivated me from the very beginning, and looking back its still in my top 5 All Time Favorite games.
  6. Jan 28, 2013
    An extremely addictive and well-rounded turn-based strategy game with long-lasting appeal. I found the WWII scenario to be delightfully challenging and fun. Even though Civ V is now available, Civ II still maintains a level of enjoyment that makes it worth going back to again and again.
  7. Jan 14, 2013
    I spent the best part of my childhood playing this game and it taught me a tremendous amount about how the world developed over a series of years. It is still worth picking up, particularly if you like this turn based expansionist games
  8. May 19, 2012
    The second best Civilization game made to date. Leaves Civ IV, the worst in the series, in the dust and gives Civ V a run for its money. Civ II is a fun strategy game with astounding scenarios even in the Vanilla game. Definitely a solid game with great gameplay.
  9. Nov 2, 2011
    My 2nd favorite game while I was in college 1997-1999 (Master of Orion II was 1st). Modding is in text files, but still understandable by non-coder season users.
  10. Sep 1, 2011
    This is the BEST all time Civilization game bar none. It is better than Civ III and definitely better than Civ V (which is the worst of the series). Civ IV gives it a close challenge but II is still the best and most challenging. Pay no attention to that FOOL who says it's the worst game ever he's just mad cause his pew pew game didn't get 1st place in something. If you love strategy you will love CIV II. Expand
  11. Jan 25, 2011
    i played civ three first so i will probubly underestemate this game but here i go. this game is very fun and addictive. i like the gameplay and basicly alot about it. it is far to simple to be given a nine but it sure is better than 4.
  12. Dec 10, 2010
    Like wine it gets better with age. my all time favorite game . fun, deep , smart.
  13. Sep 9, 2010
    My fondest memories of this game were creating death trap scenarios for my friend in high school. The only dislike I had for this game were the epic voyages caravans had to take, sometimes spanning thousands of years. Other than that, pure awesome.
  14. Jan 28, 2013

1. While those looking for a revolutionary new game may not be entirely satisfied, any serious gamer who can even imagine enjoying this game probably will.
  2. It is an incredible and very addictive game; once you start playing you won't want to stop... You will want to play Civilization II over and over, as every game is different.
  3. Microprose managed to add a score of new play elements that help the aging strategy classic evolve - without sacrificing the game’s addictive qualities.