• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Dec 12, 2014
    A very good game, brought down by overpriced DLC fest. It looks very nice, it's cinematic, it's sound assets are very high quality, overall, when compared to vanilla CoH it's better. However, it pales in comparison to modded first game, mods like Blitzkrieg or Europe at War absolutely obliterate it.

Regardless, it is fun to play and if it would've taken the route of first CoH, that is one serious expansion pack, it would've been much better value.
  2. Dec 10, 2014
    I wanted to wait at least until I had finished the campaign to do this review because I had only played the multiplayer. I will not spoil anything about the story itself, but will go into some of the historical portrayals in this game.
    To be honest, I did not like the campaign itself. I actually have to somewhat agree with BadComedian and say that this game was far too negative of the Soviet Red Army. There were many moments where I said to myself "that never happened". I have studied WWII immensely and have spent years reading about it. Order 227 shows up through most of the campaign despite the fact that Order 227 was repealed several months into the Battle of Stalingrad. The Soviets never set fire to their own houses with civilians still inside. And some of the bloodthirsty dialogue for the Soviet laughter was just laughable because the Soviets were never that cheap with their soldiers and equipment. Their needles bloodthirsty portrayal of the Soviets was just plain ridiculous and laughable at times. The game barely mentions any of the numerous German war crimes in this game. They did a great disservice to those who were murdered and raped by the invading German army by constantly showing the Soviets as those who constantly wasted the lives of their own people which simply was not true. The Soviets did commit a lot of war crimes themselves especially when they invaded Germany, but to be portrayed as cheap egotistical tyrants is extremely unfair as many generals and officers treated their men with dignity and tried to save as many of them as possible.
    Also, I had gripes about not being able to fight in the Battle of the Kursk which was the largest tank battle in history. You got to fight somewhat in Leningrad, in Stalingrad, and Berlin but you never get to fight at Kursk which bummed me out. Also the level designs just felt all the same to me.
    I loved the first Company of Heroes and the gameplay that was passed on to this game was the only reason this game was enjoyable. The sniper is no longer a ridiculously overpowered unit, but they gave that role to flamethrower units especially the German halftrack that can literally annihilate infantry units in a few seconds. Soviet infantry units are extremely weak, but their advanced vehicle units make up for that.
    The sound editing and music were astounding though as they gave you the feeling of being on the actual battlefield while adding epicness to it.
    Despite this game's flaws it is a good entry to Company of Heroes, but Relic needs to stop trying to be controversial and actually make a game that displays the soldiers they are portraying as heroes or do not make the game. It is Company of Heroes for a reason. There were times during the first game where I also noticed some demonizing of Allied troops while adding sympathy to the Germans. I am not saying stuff like this didn't occur, but you are trying to show heroes here not war criminals.
  3. Dec 10, 2014
    Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War.Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War. Get an education guys, and give this game a chance. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2014
    Company of Heroes Online was great, selecting a commander and unlocking special abilities to help in taking on other players made that game great. Earning enhanced abilities such as a 5% increase in a snipers range for once match made it interesting as well. Players had some sense they were earning and accomplishing something.

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play it almost immediately. Playing the game seems to unlock little to nothing. The story mode really is not that interesting to keep me excited to play the next chapter.

I do not understand how obvious the disappointment is and yet the critics love this game, they either did not play the online version or they played one chapter within the new game and wrote a review based on it.

Company of Heroes Online was the best game I played from this series and it is a shame that it will never come back in the same format. We may see the online version again but it will likely not contain the same format. Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault looks to have some features of the online game but I will not spend any money to find out after shelling out so much for CoH2.
  5. Dec 4, 2014
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Still not well balance. Many issues with both factions, however seem more towards Allies. E.g. Recrew exploit of tanks for US? -Stupid ranking system that fails to provide any real satisfaction to progression. -Terrible reward system (Supply Drop) that again fails to provide any sense of progression and keeps giving multiple duplicates of the same item.
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Questionable updates such as random locations which really limit faction A or B depending on starting location as most maps bias one or the other. An example would be Faceoff at Rostov; Allies could get more boots on the ground and get off the small peice of land onto the large, where as Axis can't and will often end up stuck at the start location with not even a single chance to offer resistance.
    -Some maps seem to heavily biased towards Allies, even more so with the aforementioned update.
    -Horrible matchmaking system that assumes if you're in a party with some friends that you must immediately be pros and pairs you against such (well, it seems that way). Matchmaking definitely needs work. Often get paired with people way outside my skill level.
    -Game still crashes once in a while or desync errors.

Probably many more issues and annoyance I could list, but you get the picture. Whilst I have given the multiplayer a fair go, I do not see any sign of it improving. It seems that Relic is more fixated on milking DLC sales than anything else (this can be seen with the Ardennes DLC giving certain Supply Drops advantages to people who have bought it. I.e Rifleman and Rear Echelon train and replenish 10% faster - this gives already quick US even more of an advantage). With no true progression sytem, dodgy reward system, unfair matchmaking and just other general frustrations, I find it harder and harder to come back to this game. It's a shame really, as I have had some very fierce and close matches that get the adrenaline pumping and I really thoroughly enjoyed the first Company of Heroes, but this game lacks direction and seems a bit of a mess. If you're thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing this game, wait another year or so and pick it up cheap on sale. At least if it isn't twice the game as it is now, you won't feel as robbed.
  6. Dec 3, 2014
    I don't know why people gave this game such a bad review. I almost didn't buy the game because of the low scores but now that I've got it and played for hours on end non stop, I'm not gonna listen to user complaining anymore. I think I'm gonna go for the expansions now as well.
    I gave this game a 9 because the cut scenes are a tad cheezy. Game play however is engrossing and addictive. Love the sound effects and graphics are not bad. I think I got my moneys worth for the hours of future game play.
    As far as history is concerned? Yes the Soviet Red Army was strict and disciplined. Over 1000 have been shot for being cowards. Even the British court martial ed and executed deserters so people need to brush up on their history.
    I just had to create a Metacritic account just to give this game some props .
  7. Nov 29, 2014
    Excellent game for Adolf Hitler. Especially for you we have gathered the worst stereotypes about Russia. Balalaika vodka cruelty blood winter. Glory, honor, brave men, well-planed attacks didnt give the win, but "best" stereotypes about stupidity did it, My Fuhrer!
  8. Nov 21, 2014
    I signed up just so I could leave my comment.

Buyer beware. This game is severely not worth the purchase. After some 200 hours of gameplay, here are my thoughts about the inescapable letdowns: 1. Ludicrously imbalanced multiplayer. The lobby is a ghost town, consisting of the same 'pro'-level players who decimate newbie and mid-level players by team-stacking against them, using
    I signed up just so I could leave my comment.

Buyer beware. This game is severely not worth the purchase.

1. Ludicrously imbalanced multiplayer. The lobby is a ghost town, consisting of the same 'pro'-level players who decimate newbie and mid-level players by team-stacking against them, using the game's exploits to their advantage and having the benefit of playing the same maps with each other. In short, unfair matches due to lack of varied player pool.

2. Ugly-looking UI. It lags, has ambiguous tooltips, it's unpleasant to look at, it has typos. They can't even keep the font and punctuation consistent.

3. Pay-to-play nickel grabbing. You want to stand a chance to be on a level playing field in PvP straight up? That'll be another ~$50 on top of your game purchase, please. Core game content has been stripped and replaced with DLC, stuff that should have already been there, like a wide choice of commanders to choose from.

4. Overpowered Allies infantry vs. Axis infantry. They'll get halftracks, riflemen, conscripts, AT guns, flamethrowers and numerous mortar and HMG crews out before you can say "Kampgrupper Lehr".

5. Single player campaign that (*gasp*) makes you pay to play more.

Company of Heroes 2 is the reason why RTS died.
  9. Nov 16, 2014
    after i have played COH and its expansions for 5 years, i expected better game than this
    everything is too samey and actually the game is worse than COH becuz its high spec requirement and dipping fps. the graphic is not great even though it used all resources on my gaming laptop
    dev took vacation for 5 years and suddenly run short of cash so they decided to make sequel with a little improved graphics? i think this should stop from gaming industry. dev loses passion, they take long break from beloved franchise then they got back into developing new games with little idea and ambition
    the result of it has clearly shown in this game and total war rome2 (another disappointed title in this year)
    like hard shelled breads in cabinet for 2 years, this game feels like stale stuff and nuisance to get rid of quickly
  10. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is not an enjoyable experience. I am not a PvP player because of the CoH geeks that do nothing but learn the exploits to win. That's beside the point, so I play against the AI.

There are problems, the main one is the AI cheats in showing up with veteran units, immediately running away when a unit throws a grenade, AI units are very difficult to eliminate, AI is all over the map and no way to defend most captured points, if given any amount of time the AI totally overwhelms the player and AI has no fog of war, to name a few.

I'll tell you one thing, devs of CoH 2, you win the game. You won't get anymore of my support in terms of buying more crap from this company.
  11. Oct 27, 2014
    I have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and haveI have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and have big flat areas of comic book-like texture. The resource system and basic ideas from the original game are identical.

The voice-acting in Company of Heroes 1, Dawn of War 1 and 2 is SPLENDID. In this game, it's dull and uninspired. I can't get drawn in into the game; it's like a confused comic book version of WWII without anything funny to go with it. Unfortunately.
  12. Oct 27, 2014
    Absolutely weak! Destructoid should never ever be allowed to rate games. The think this was a 100 means there is no room for ever improving. I wonder how much they were paid?
    I have a free copy for anyone who wants it.
  13. Oct 21, 2014
    After downloading 22h of update through small connection I finaly started to play.
    I put graphics to the max as my card support it.
    It looks like graphics quality is very average even at Very high quality. Menu is overcrowded and confusing
    Mission are not exciting. i am very dissapointed for a $60 game. thumb down. DONT BUY

i download COH1 again .
  14. Oct 17, 2014
    This game I thought it would be cool and promising was in fact just that. Tries to be cool and is full of promises, promises not fulfilled. I would have expected a lot more from the widely acclaimed Relic developers after their brilliant Homeworld series but this series was a flop. If you were expecting some big glorious Eastern Front portrayal which was a serious and vital part of WW2This game I thought it would be cool and promising was in fact just that. Tries to be cool and is full of promises, promises not fulfilled. I would have expected a lot more from the widely acclaimed Relic developers after their brilliant Homeworld series but this series was a flop. If you were expecting some big glorious Eastern Front portrayal which was a serious and vital part of WW2 then you will be disappointed. It does show the chaos and destruction in the Eastern Front in Ukraine and Russia but by the wrong side. It gives neither side a fair portrayal or point of view, never justifying their actions.

Russia is made to be some kinda stupid place, corrupt and as evil as their adversary, brutally killing their own like cannon fodder. You never really relate to anyone nor feel any connection or empathy as they die in their droves like stupid ants. This is not the Relic you knew of old, the veterans have left the studio to a bunch of racist, fascist illiterate historical failures as they failed to include the necessary facts to back up their excuse to throw in something 'edgy' so the game feels more 'deep' or 'emotional' but it ends up like a typical Hollywood movie a big over budget Michael Bay throw in as much Russian Soviet Stereotype in as possible and becomes some kind of sick dark comedy and loses all seriousness and credibility it tried to add.

The German side too is made to seem like mindless zombie brutes and pure evil laying waste to cities and people for no reason or none really mentioned or explored by these so called 'Historians'

This game feels like its made for Patriots and I mean American Patriots who actually believe in these Soviet stereotypes and want an action packed over dramatic soap opera epic action game. They added not 1 nor 2 but 3 DLC add-on packs not focused on the Eastern Front anymore, heck its not even about the USSR or Russia but 3 American Faction packs. Essentially rehashing the old CoH, it makes it like the Eastern Front portion never had existed. They want to milk your every dollar, Vehicle Skins = DLC
    Commanders = DLC
    No Mods, only Map tools because they want to sell you the mods in the form of DLC.
    no proper LAN or offline mode, no proper AI Multiplayer Bots to practice on. You need Online to enjoy the game and to play 80% of the game. DRM is a pain.
    Units are still imbalanced, lack of unit variety, weapon variety and functions. It feels too 'dumbed' down and streamlined but making up with 'graphics' which are average at best.

Campaign is boring, Skirmishes are boring, too short and small scale, its more like a 3D person top down shooter than anything as it focuses too much on squads and individual infantry than the wider greater scale of a battle or war. Its more of a RTT than an RTS with simplistic resourcing, capturing points etc and simplistic economy system doesn't need a genius to play and thus leaves no room for skilled players or hardcore veterans or gamers. Its made to be a casual strategy game, fast paced like CoD or WoT rather than a test of skill or knowledge. This leaves the Multiplayer filled with idiots, kids and other 'Historians' who troll you with random hordes of units and stupid tactics. There is not much of a challenge online and not balanced enough to become a Tournament game or an e-sport.

Honestly this is a let-down of a WW2 game. There are many better ones with a more accurate portrayal with real life events, evidence and emotional connection. Not really worth it, Not really worth a AAA title and is worse than many cheaper Indie games.
  15. Oct 17, 2014
    bellissimo gioco
    l'unica cosa che non mi piace è il fatto dsi dover comprare comandanti (a costi altini) per poter avere dei vbantaggi consistenti sugli avversari. per il resto è veramente spettacolare
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    The game is very good, including the story. The problem is that the story of the game does not match the stories of the Soviet propaganda films about the war. Russian media called spoil rated this game on this site. Unfortunately, we remain the specter of communism to this day.

P.S. I apologize for my English!
  17. Oct 8, 2014
    Although i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is rightAlthough i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is right in front of you kill him!

Overall however I really like this game but feel it has a lot of its own faults too. Great graphics, interesting game play. I would recommend to all if on a sale but would not and did not pay £29.99 for it.
  18. Oct 3, 2014
    It seems all the negative reviews are personal opinions and other thoughts still a epic game.

Company of Heroes 2 is a incredible addition and better than its predecessor. Tho i wish they had the america's and brits added into the game they don't, it feels like a step back for me. They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game

They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game it adds more depth and better gameplay and it shows. CH2 has a good story better graphics and much better campaign the game feels great with new system's and gameplay i cant wait to play the expansions.

Worth $60
  19. Sep 30, 2014
    Wow! The cold war is far from over I see. The cardinal sins here re the terrible story that might only satisfy the brain dead who readily subscribe to propaganda and the lack of optimisation causing the game to stutter, besides it being more of the same old same old. There used to be a game "Soldiers" back in the day... used to be pretty decent, then they released "Soldiers 2" which wasWow! The cold war is far from over I see. The cardinal sins here re the terrible story that might only satisfy the brain dead who readily subscribe to propaganda and the lack of optimisation causing the game to stutter, besides it being more of the same old same old. There used to be a game "Soldiers" back in the day... used to be pretty decent, then they released "Soldiers 2" which was pure terrible wrapped in crap, at the same time the first COH appeared, which was in the same WWII niche doing everything better than "Soldiers 2", actually looking a lot better and running on any PC configuration I had flawlessly as opposed to the aforementioned. COH 2 is lucky there's no other company delivering a similar product. Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2014
    This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game,This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game, while branching out to try and add new elements to the game to keep it interesting.

Graphically the game is impressive, and the sound effects are excellent just as they were back in CoH I, from the snow effects to watching/hearing a T34 or Panther brew up in a fiery explosion CoH II's graphics and soundtrack captures the tiny details that fans learned to marvel at in the original title.

Gameplay: A lot has changed since CoH I, but at its core, CoH II is still very much like its older brother. The elephant in the room regarding this particular game is the single player portion. Unfortunately, the protrayal of the Soviet Union is one that appears to be ripped right out of a Hollywood script, where the Soviets officer corps is portrayed as unfeeling monsters, willing to send hundreds of thousands to their deaths, mercilessly cutting down waves of retreating conscripts. While this has been said to have happened during the way, it appears to have been overplayed and over focused within the campaign. This of course drew the ire of many. Buyers be warned, if you are looking for a compelling single player experience, you sadly will not really find it here.

However, where CoH I really shined its brightest (IMHO) was in its multi-player, this is where CoH II draws its strength from and is what you'll likely want to buy the game for. Initial balance issues aside, games can be fast paced and frantic. The recent introduction of the American faction as well as OberKommando's really helps to add some flavor to the multiplayer game play.

While CoH II has its issues, to include (at first) a clunky interface, it is still a great game (Questionable/forgettable Campaign scripting aside)

Buy the game if you are a fan of the first, buy it if you want to have one of the best WWII RTS gaming experiences out there on the market, buy it if you want a fast paced, action packed, strategic demanding multiplayer experience.

Does the game deserve 4.6k+ negative reviews? Likely not. Is it understandable why people were upset? Absolutely, but do not be fooled by the 1.9 Metacritic score. Try it for yourself, and if you can remain open minded about the SP, you'll certainly find a diamond in the rough with CoH II IMHO.
  21. Sep 20, 2014
    Anti Soviet Propaganda!! While it's predecessors showed the heroism of the allied soldiers the only thing they are showing here is the **** soldiers of the red army and horrible events which never happend!
  22. Sep 12, 2014
    -FACTS:
    Company Of Heroes is also really moddable. units can be added ( animating too), and there are many succesfull modifications and bonus single player Campaign Generator multiplayer mods .
    - HOW I FEEL : Wow! i likE the gameplay , whatever 1000 russian provocators cry about stOry, -skip the story - the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get
    -FACTS:
    - HOW I FEEL :
    the GAMEPLAY is NICE ! strong Emotion can be sensed from situataions, and i get excited from what cool things i see as i move to next area in game. Production quality shows, im happy this game was made!
    ___ ( bytheway:
    (sad that also Metacritic CoH2 page has been targeted by russian Bureau of Propaganda :(
  23. Sep 7, 2014
    [RUS] Эта игра х*йня. И вы спросите , а чем тебе не понравилось а? А то ,что SEGA Историю России за 9 класс точно не учила. Там нет ничего связанного с годам Великой Отечественной войны. Прежде чем делать историческую игру , хоть выучите историю. В Call of Duty 1 и 2 частях , пересказывались события Великой Отечественной войны, но они хоть немного постарались. А вы чего сделали, мусор[RUS] Эта игра х*йня. И вы спросите , а чем тебе не понравилось а? А то ,что SEGA Историю России за 9 класс точно не учила. Там нет ничего связанного с годам Великой Отечественной войны. Прежде чем делать историческую игру , хоть выучите историю. В Call of Duty 1 и 2 частях , пересказывались события Великой Отечественной войны, но они хоть немного постарались. А вы чего сделали, мусор какой то.
    [ENG]This game is f*ck. And you ask , what didn't you like? And the fact that SEGA the History of Russia for the 9th grade just not taught. There's nothing related to the great Patriotic war. Before doing historical game , at least learn the history. Call of Duty 1 and 2 parts , retold the events of the great Patriotic war, but they tried. And what you did waste some
  24. Aug 29, 2014
    The game is definitely improving from the very poor launch. New multiplayer lobbies with annihilate is the most welcome addition. The in-game feedback popups also show that devs are trying to make the game better. There's still imbalance, most notably with the OKW from the new expansion, but the game is much better than it used to be
  25. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me isThis game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me is fps,because you need a good computer to run it,but with low graphics you can play it without any lag,I think everyone who is coh 1 fan should buy this even on full price because it gives you many,many hours of fun!!! Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2014
    company of heroes 2 is worse than company of heroes 1, but i think the game is not very bad. I give nine score cz many user give 0, the game should not have so many 0.
  27. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Govno! Expand
  28. Jul 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never write reviews, but this game is a major downgrade from the original. All the games I've played are the same. Mortar galore! I understand that you are trying to make it realistic, but this is a video game. No fun at all. Just build mortars, artillery, and role in the tanks at the end. Same slow, boring game.

The original was much better. Very disappointed. Free games are better.
  29. Jul 12, 2014
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  30. Jul 11, 2014
    U bidla iz rashki goryat pukani pri vide vsego der'ma, kotorim polnitsya ih ebannaya strana eshe so stalinskih vremyon, No huli bagetit esli vi bidlo i sego ne zamechaete? Igra ge pizdata.

1. Oct 7, 2013