Company of Heroes PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 13, 2006
8.8

1. Aug 19, 2017
    Greatest RTS of all time, still standing almost 11 years after launch. Superb graphics, increidlbe sound design, destructible environment that actually impacts tactics, asymmetrical factions with very rich and complex tactics...
  2. Apr 24, 2017
    1 – GENERAL

Company of Heroes it's a RTS that plays on WWII scenario. I love to study and play games from this dark period of our history, so my impressions are always a bit biased in games like this one. This game was released in 2006 and it's impressive how a game almost 11 years old still holds on quite well. Graphics are still on par with today games, and just the cutscenes are
    1 – GENERAL

This game was released in 2006 and it's impressive how a game almost 11 years old still holds on quite well. Graphics are still on par with today games, and just the cutscenes are already dated.

Sounds were very well chosen and all the effects seem quite real, and the game it's quite immersive right from the start.

The storyline is one of the best aspects of the game. Fortunately the usual plot of conquering a base and that's it does not happen here. Most of the time you have to secure a road, capture strategic points, prevent the enemy retreat. All missions seems alike with reality, and I love that.

2 – GAMEPLAY

If you want to play the game properly then start by mapping your keyboard and do not play like me, only with mouse. Despite not being the most micromanagement related RTS, you still have a lot of actions to do at the same time. The fact that they never overwhelm you, giving you a lot of time to spend thinking only in the real action is perfect.

In this game the resources are the strategic points scattered along the map. Each one of those with different values. Even if you capture a point you have to connect it to your base, or you will not receive that resource.

Each mission is long and you are free to choose your approach. The mission briefing plays a major role here, saying the primary and secondary objectives that you should accomplish in each map.

I've played the entire first campaign and it's respective missions and I have a blast doing it.

My major issue in campaign mode is the behavior of the enemy AI. They seem to always choose defensive stance, and most of the times they will not endanger your base.

Fortunately in skirmish mode that is different.

Multiplayer is still active, and most of the players know what they are doing, so if you are new to the game you will probably have a hard time competing with them.

3 – CONCLUSION

I am not a good RTS player, but I cannot stop loving this games. CoH is simply a joy to play. No bugs or glitches, full destroyable scenarios, a lot of units to choose from, a very well written storyline with lots of replay value. This game it's still great from today's standards. If you want to buy it, it's easy to find it on a sale, so just be patient and wait a bit.
  3. Jul 24, 2016
    I picked this game a long time ago as a bundle with the DLC for cheap but that was probably the best money I've spent on a video game ever. The multiplayer balance was off at times but you were still able to find games without people abusing bs. Single player was great, yeah its not the most realistic WW2 game out there but imo it had a great balance between realism and gameplay. In allI picked this game a long time ago as a bundle with the DLC for cheap but that was probably the best money I've spent on a video game ever. The multiplayer balance was off at times but you were still able to find games without people abusing bs. Single player was great, yeah its not the most realistic WW2 game out there but imo it had a great balance between realism and gameplay. In all honesty I dont recall any RTS coming close to this title in terms of fun I had playing it, ever... Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2015
    Company of Heroes, without a doubt is THE definition of an RTS.It combines the excellent sound,visceral,nerve wracking gameplay of Call of Duty 2 with the overhead view of an RTS. The only problem ive had with it is that the system settings a bit too high for those with a low computer. I have a 1.7 Ghz,512 Dual RAM and 64 ATi Radeon Mobile 9200 and COH bogs down alot.But the gameplay isCompany of Heroes, without a doubt is THE definition of an RTS.It combines the excellent sound,visceral,nerve wracking gameplay of Call of Duty 2 with the overhead view of an RTS. The only problem ive had with it is that the system settings a bit too high for those with a low computer. I have a 1.7 Ghz,512 Dual RAM and 64 ATi Radeon Mobile 9200 and COH bogs down alot.But the gameplay is soooo good that the graphical problems are ALL forgotten. Company of Heroes,you dont own it...it owns YOU! Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2015
    I have played a lot of RTS (Close Combat, Star Craft, Warcraft I-III, World in Conflict, to name a few), Company of Heroes is the most polished and innovative that I have played. As many have noted the graphics in this game are top notch. The frantic and non-stop action of the game requires a great deal of thought rewarding both the quick and the intelligent. If you enjoy RTS's, you willI have played a lot of RTS (Close Combat, Star Craft, Warcraft I-III, World in Conflict, to name a few), Company of Heroes is the most polished and innovative that I have played. As many have noted the graphics in this game are top notch. The frantic and non-stop action of the game requires a great deal of thought rewarding both the quick and the intelligent. If you enjoy RTS's, you will love this game Expand
  6. Aug 2, 2015
    Company of Heroes is probably, (if not already considered), the greatest real-time strategy game of all-time. A must-play for any fan of the genre. Truly a masterpiece.
  7. Jul 13, 2015
    A jewel of an RTS. Easily one of the BEST ever made. both defense and offense and immensely fun, challenging, and intense. The community is so active, and helpful, especially for a game that's nearly 8 years old. The graphics are very good, the FPS is so smooth, the gameplay seamless, easy to learn and control. Each faction ( 4 in total with DLC, 2 in base game) grants unique units andA jewel of an RTS. Easily one of the BEST ever made. both defense and offense and immensely fun, challenging, and intense. The community is so active, and helpful, especially for a game that's nearly 8 years old. The graphics are very good, the FPS is so smooth, the gameplay seamless, easy to learn and control. Each faction ( 4 in total with DLC, 2 in base game) grants unique units and abilities, and tactics you MUST follow to succeed in a battle. none of the factions play alike one another. Which brings me to my final in this review. This game never gets old. It is not repetitive. every battle is different. from where you set up, to when you go for a flank or an assault. I can't get enough of this game. And you won't either. Expand
  8. Jul 8, 2015
    company of heroes is from the best games in the world it was at it age . I really recommend it very much its really a nice game and it become old but still people playing it and there is a 2nd game of it which its coh2.
  9. Jun 13, 2015
    I have been playing a lot of strategy games over the last 20 years-

This is the best. Its a true strategy masterpiece that combines cerebral / work ethic output so well. The only game better was the short lived COH online which included insertion of special hand picked units If you don't have COH and COH Opposing fronts get it before it fades into non existence because this is
    I have been playing a lot of strategy games over the last 20 years-

If you don't have COH and COH Opposing fronts get it before it fades into non existence because this is as good as it gets.
  10. Apr 25, 2015
    Still playing this game, after almost 7 years. Wow, that really says something. This is by far my favourite game on my PC, and oldest. Stellar Campaign, fun multi player, various game modes, and decent DLC's. Great game.
  11. Feb 16, 2015
    Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS game in the world. its realistic graphics and system is very good until now. i'm still playing it in 2015!!!!!
  12. cbe
    Dec 29, 2014
    Great game, determinately worth playing! The single player campaign is hard, but non unfair. High re-playability! I wish all single-player games were this good.
  13. Oct 12, 2014
    This game is amazing! Still playin' Autry and Hebecrevon Missions over and over and over again!
    Still playin' in 10/12/2014! 8 Years!
    Relic, amazing job!
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    Campaign somewhat a bore nothing new not challenging but the gameplay is just amazing, multiplayer is where its at. This game shines in multiplayer it's so challenging and strategical with quite a bit of options on how you want to build you're army and Graphics are ok nothing spectacular the physics are also nice. Very high replay value and super fun with friends or just competitive play.Campaign somewhat a bore nothing new not challenging but the gameplay is just amazing, multiplayer is where its at. This game shines in multiplayer it's so challenging and strategical with quite a bit of options on how you want to build you're army and Graphics are ok nothing spectacular the physics are also nice. Very high replay value and super fun with friends or just competitive play.
    Best RTS plain and simple.

Worth $50
  15. May 30, 2014
    It's been 8 years since its release but everytime I want to find myself engulfed in WW2 asmosphere I still find this game one of the best choices. The campaign is well-written, the 2 armies are all-around balanced and the skirmish battles are nicely-done. Except for sometimes units engage each other in very very close quarter but they still keep shooting at each other, which is quiteIt's been 8 years since its release but everytime I want to find myself engulfed in WW2 asmosphere I still find this game one of the best choices. The campaign is well-written, the 2 armies are all-around balanced and the skirmish battles are nicely-done. Except for sometimes units engage each other in very very close quarter but they still keep shooting at each other, which is quite hilarious you would wonder why they won't stop shooting and go on melee mode all the way, but still... One of the best decisions I've ever made getting this game in 2006. Expand
  16. May 29, 2014
    ITS MASTERPIECE.
    never seen better WW game...its a complete game in every sense, filled with gripping combat , effect and lovely world... Still holds it position as best strategy..love this game.
  17. Apr 9, 2014
    Company of Heroes is the best video game that I have ever played, and in my opinion it is the chess of video gaming. I am still playing it regularly in 2014.

It is an absolute shame that COHO- Company of Heroes Online, was cancelled in late beta, because it is the only thing going that could derail this juggernaut. A diamond. Stairway to Heaven. A golden retriever. A sexy lady. An object of man made perfection.

COH also has the most graphic and realistic violence in the most ageless graphics of all war games. The voice acting, sound effects, and graphics are sublime. There is infinite depth in its complex array of play modes. Rest in Peace Brian Wood, you made the game to stand the test of time and honor its subject matter.
  18. Mar 26, 2014
    Best RTS i have ever played, and one of the best WW2 game also. Technically great from sounds to graphics. Something unseen before that. Game play now that's where it shines. I won't try to explay how it works, but simply said the tactics are what really matters, sure with huge amount of man power anyone can win a game, but what usually happens is someone who uses all those little thingsBest RTS i have ever played, and one of the best WW2 game also. Technically great from sounds to graphics. Something unseen before that. Game play now that's where it shines. I won't try to explay how it works, but simply said the tactics are what really matters, sure with huge amount of man power anyone can win a game, but what usually happens is someone who uses all those little things like cover, flanking, using strengts of every unit and so on. Just great RTS Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine. A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design. A massive modding community that is still making original content for a game close to 8 years since its release. Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways. Hundreds of strategies, different methods of play, a still active multiplayer community. The sequel drew
    PRO's:

Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine.
    A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design.
    Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways.
    The sequel drew back in old players after everyone realized how mediocre it was.
    Its Warhammer 40K on steroids and who doesn't like Warhammer?

CON's:

Their have been some pretty mind numbingly stupid patches made for the expansion.
    The expansions were not very good compared to the original.
    Some things are mostly fixed, but a lot is still broken since the attempt years ago was made to balance all the factions pretty much at once.
    Its starting to look a little long in the tooth visually.
    The multiplayer community is full of some pretty huge ego maniacal fellas that don't play nice with newer players.
    The automatches can be a dangerous breeding ground for contempt amongst those who are new to the game.
    The modding communities are always heading for different camps, with the intent of making the game more "realistic" or more "balanced," but they never really settle on more "fun."
    Some of the concepts are so far removed from reality that some people might prefer entirely different games such as the "Men of War" games.
    Multiple scathing and somewhat stupid historical inaccuracies that should've never been in the game.
    Tank battles are more arcade-like than any tank battles from actual reality.
    If you were content enough with Warhammer 40K and those expansions- you may have already played this game for the most part- only without the World War II aesthetic or theme.
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    Amazing game that raised the bar for RTS. Great balance for multilayer with fun maps and multiple game modes one of which is a MOBA with WWII tanks! Sega will not update the matchmaking system which is sad because this game has better balance than CoH2.
  21. Jan 15, 2014
    I have played many an RTS in my life, and I must say, this is the best one by some distance! Recommend it and the expansions (Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor) to any RTS lovers out there!
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic real-time strategy game no one should miss. Impressive graphics that successfully portrays the brutality of battles is what i love most about the game, which simply makes me want to keep playing and playing it although it has been 4 years since i started enjoying the game
  23. Nov 10, 2013
    Great game, although I never got into the competitive multiplayer because I was busy with Age of Empires 3 at the time. The graphics, sounds and visual effects were just stunning and the combat feels very realistic. The online is still up and running and quite alive (through Steam) for anyone looking for a new RTS to play competitively.
  24. Oct 27, 2013
    Nothing...I mean absolutely Nothing comes close to this Brilliant and wonderfully creative RTS in our lifetime!! It's 2013 and there are more games coming out with unbelievable graphics and physics, but this is one truly GREAT war-time game trilogy that will NEVER be over-matched or overlooked FOREVER!!!
  25. Oct 27, 2013
    Don't get me wrong... this is a really well made game. Especially considering I write this review after 7 years of its release. It has however few annoying issues. First, the AI of your own troops is basically non-existing. Especially in fast-paced maps controlling every minor detail of your troops becomes simply frustrating. Also, the base building doesn't really fit well to this game.Don't get me wrong... this is a really well made game. Especially considering I write this review after 7 years of its release. It has however few annoying issues. First, the AI of your own troops is basically non-existing. Especially in fast-paced maps controlling every minor detail of your troops becomes simply frustrating. Also, the base building doesn't really fit well to this game. Fixed amount of troops plus triggered reinforcements would have worked better than some artificial troop limit that gets maxed out in worse possible times. Expand
  26. Oct 6, 2013
    The game is fascinating. I don't know if the Stormtrooper in reality, could camouflage like in the game. One can device many tactics for the various units. For instance, camouflage a sniper, and disable free fire. Then camouflage the Stormtrooper unit, or two Stormtrooper units with panzershrecks, and put them in a position, where they are behind the sniper, and have the sniper scout forThe game is fascinating. I don't know if the Stormtrooper in reality, could camouflage like in the game. One can device many tactics for the various units. For instance, camouflage a sniper, and disable free fire. Then camouflage the Stormtrooper unit, or two Stormtrooper units with panzershrecks, and put them in a position, where they are behind the sniper, and have the sniper scout for the Stormtrooper units. The Stormtrooper units will fire the panzershrecks, beyond visual range, and in camouflage. Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2013
    Best Strategy of ALL TIME!!! Bar-none. This is my favorite game of all time. It pains me that they have stopped updating it for it's lower, less-successful, less-enjoyable brother COH 2... This game is awesome and I still play online today Fall 2013. So what are you waiting for! Go buy this game on steam for super cheap and have a ton more fun than COH 2. They got it right the first time
  28. Sep 6, 2013
    Probably the Greatest RTS game of all time. Very addictive and very well made. I have enjoyed many hours of playing this awesome game. The online experience is excellent and the campaign is very good too. 10/10
  29. Aug 31, 2013
    I'm not a great strategy, but loving me is like CoH, beautiful graphics, great video transfer, a long campaign, smart opponents, can only praise is a great word. I recommend to everyone.
  30. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is soooo good i even made an account on here to write a review on it :D

10/10 and im still playing it in 2013, also i thing this is better than the second
  31. Jun 20, 2012
    This is a must buy if you ever thought of yourself as a RTS.gamer. Relic took the genre to another level much like Westwood Studios did several times before. I was realy impressed with the sound and environment destruction in the game. That is something I feel no other title in this genre have been able to match. It would be weird if you did not trash the whole map with these big weaponsThis is a must buy if you ever thought of yourself as a RTS.gamer. Relic took the genre to another level much like Westwood Studios did several times before. I was realy impressed with the sound and environment destruction in the game. That is something I feel no other title in this genre have been able to match. It would be weird if you did not trash the whole map with these big weapons so were is the destruction in other games. They are surely missing this realy big part of an actual war.

Some thoughts taken from my experience in the first Company of Heroes:
    # AI would need to be improved alot cause there were issues with it that made fighting and doing advanced maneuvers a real pain.
    # Multiplayer/LAN were the big thing in this game cause I have always been a player that would want to compete with others. There are big problems with how they have programed the networking. The players without high ping will be set on hold so you cant take action when waiting for the one who is having problems. This is just experienced as latency.
    They also have alot of server problems that still haunt me even now 2012 when the game have had some time to get over these growing pains.
    # Controls would need a overhaul so I can select units easier and not risk to select my whole army cause of their big hitboxes.

1. PC Gamer
    Company of Heroes should be on the must-play list of every RTS fanatic out there, even those tired of WWII settings. It's just that good. [Oct. 2006, p.70]
  2. PC Gamer UK
    This is the finest WWII strategy game I've played. Hell, I'm having real trouble thinking of any strategy game that's this spectacular, this intense, this fun. [Oct 2006, p.70]
    The transformation from a idyllic little town into a heap of crushed buildings and burned out husks of vehicles can be shocking. Seeing and hearing major explosions that cause bodies (and bits of bodies) to fly across the screen along with rubble from a nearby building simply puts you more into the battle than any RTS in memory.