• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 13, 2006
8.9

1. Oct 12, 2014
    This game is amazing! Still playin' Autry and Hebecrevon Missions over and over and over again!
    Still playin' in 10/12/2014! 8 Years!
    Relic, amazing job!
  2. May 30, 2014
    It's been 8 years since its release but everytime I want to find myself engulfed in WW2 asmosphere I still find this game one of the best choices. The campaign is well-written, the 2 armies are all-around balanced and the skirmish battles are nicely-done. Except for sometimes units engage each other in very very close quarter but they still keep shooting at each other, which is quite hilarious you would wonder why they won't stop shooting and go on melee mode all the way, but still... One of the best decisions I've ever made getting this game in 2006. Expand
  3. May 29, 2014
    ITS MASTERPIECE.
    never seen better WW game...its a complete game in every sense, filled with gripping combat , effect and lovely world... Still holds it position as best strategy..love this game.
  4. Apr 9, 2014
    Company of Heroes is the best video game that I have ever played, and in my opinion it is the chess of video gaming. I am still playing it regularly in 2014.

It is an absolute shame that COHO- Company of Heroes Online, was cancelled in late beta, because it is the only thing going that could derail this juggernaut. A diamond. Stairway to Heaven. A golden retriever. A sexy lady. An
    object of man made perfection.

COH also has the most graphic and realistic violence in the most ageless graphics of all war games. The voice acting, sound effects, and graphics are sublime. There is infinite depth in its complex array of play modes. Rest in Peace Brian Wood, you made the game to stand the test of time and honor its subject matter.
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    Best RTS i have ever played, and one of the best WW2 game also. Technically great from sounds to graphics. Something unseen before that. Game play now that's where it shines. I won't try to explay how it works, but simply said the tactics are what really matters, sure with huge amount of man power anyone can win a game, but what usually happens is someone who uses all those little things like cover, flanking, using strengts of every unit and so on. Just great RTS Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    PRO's: Gorgeous visuals with a competent game engine. A gorgeous soundtrack and brilliant sound design. A massive modding community that is still making original content for a game close to 8 years since its release. Varied factions that all play in remarkably different ways. Hundreds of strategies, different methods of play, a still active multiplayer community. The sequel drew back in old players after everyone realized how mediocre it was.
    Its Warhammer 40K on steroids and who doesn't like Warhammer?

CON's:

Their have been some pretty mind numbingly stupid patches made for the expansion.
    The expansions were not very good compared to the original.
    Some things are mostly fixed, but a lot is still broken since the attempt years ago was made to balance all the factions pretty much at once.
    Its starting to look a little long in the tooth visually.
    The multiplayer community is full of some pretty huge ego maniacal fellas that don't play nice with newer players.
    The automatches can be a dangerous breeding ground for contempt amongst those who are new to the game.
    The modding communities are always heading for different camps, with the intent of making the game more "realistic" or more "balanced," but they never really settle on more "fun."
    Some of the concepts are so far removed from reality that some people might prefer entirely different games such as the "Men of War" games.
    Multiple scathing and somewhat stupid historical inaccuracies that should've never been in the game.
    Tank battles are more arcade-like than any tank battles from actual reality.
    If you were content enough with Warhammer 40K and those expansions- you may have already played this game for the most part- only without the World War II aesthetic or theme.
  7. Feb 24, 2014
    Amazing game that raised the bar for RTS. Great balance for multilayer with fun maps and multiple game modes one of which is a MOBA with WWII tanks! Sega will not update the matchmaking system which is sad because this game has better balance than CoH2.
  8. Jan 15, 2014
    I have played many an RTS in my life, and I must say, this is the best one by some distance! Recommend it and the expansions (Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor) to any RTS lovers out there!
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic real-time strategy game no one should miss. Impressive graphics that successfully portrays the brutality of battles is what i love most about the game, which simply makes me want to keep playing and playing it although it has been 4 years since i started enjoying the game
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    Great game, although I never got into the competitive multiplayer because I was busy with Age of Empires 3 at the time. The graphics, sounds and visual effects were just stunning and the combat feels very realistic. The online is still up and running and quite alive (through Steam) for anyone looking for a new RTS to play competitively.
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    Nothing...I mean absolutely Nothing comes close to this Brilliant and wonderfully creative RTS in our lifetime!! It's 2013 and there are more games coming out with unbelievable graphics and physics, but this is one truly GREAT war-time game trilogy that will NEVER be over-matched or overlooked FOREVER!!!
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    The game is fascinating. I don't know if the Stormtrooper in reality, could camouflage like in the game. One can device many tactics for the various units. For instance, camouflage a sniper, and disable free fire. Then camouflage the Stormtrooper unit, or two Stormtrooper units with panzershrecks, and put them in a position, where they are behind the sniper, and have the sniper scout for the Stormtrooper units. The Stormtrooper units will fire the panzershrecks, beyond visual range, and in camouflage. Expand
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    Best Strategy of ALL TIME!!! Bar-none. This is my favorite game of all time. It pains me that they have stopped updating it for it's lower, less-successful, less-enjoyable brother COH 2... This game is awesome and I still play online today Fall 2013. So what are you waiting for! Go buy this game on steam for super cheap and have a ton more fun than COH 2. They got it right the first time
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    Probably the Greatest RTS game of all time. Very addictive and very well made. I have enjoyed many hours of playing this awesome game. The online experience is excellent and the campaign is very good too. 10/10
  15. Aug 31, 2013
    I'm not a great strategy, but loving me is like CoH, beautiful graphics, great video transfer, a long campaign, smart opponents, can only praise is a great word. I recommend to everyone.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is soooo good i even made an account on here to write a review on it :D

10/10 and im still playing it in 2013, also i thing this is better than the second
  17. Jul 21, 2013
    Where to even start with this game. This game is just amazing. I can only imagine how much money the developers spent for making this game. It has a physics engine, destructible buildings, amazing sound and graphics, and to even some extent destructible terrain. When it comes to this games, I personally have called it the greatest game of all time. It is really hard to find something wrong with this game. Expand
  18. Jul 11, 2013
    Best RTS ever!

I started playing COH back in 2006 when it first came out and now in 2013 I'm still playing it. I just finished a skirmish about ten minutes ago and I thought I'd pay this game it's over due respect and take the time to write my user review on Metacritic. The first time I played COH I was at my friend Larry's house checking out the work he did in his living room. In
    the background I noticed COH on Larry's rig. I saw a Panzer 4 rolling up the road from the south base toward the north base (Larry's base) in the 2 player map Angoville. I asked Larry what it was and he offered me a chance to try it. I sat down and chose the Easy CPU Wehrmacht vs American's (not like I had a choice of different enemies back then, just which side axis vs allies). I got my tail kicked so bad early on that Larry had to jump in and fight his way back in control of the map. Once Larry had it under control he let me take a few Sherman tanks into the Wehrmacht base and finish it off. I was instantly hooked, not only because it was the hardest most complex RTS I'd ever played but because I love to blow up and the graphics were great. I immediately went out and purchased the game.

The campaign storyline was great in the original game and both expansions, it truly makes the player feel that they are in the 40's creeping around in Europe looking for Gerry. Playing as the American's when the game first came out drove me to learn more about WW2 history. I found myself reading articles on the net and watching the history channel every time a WW2 show was on. I started calling my Grandfather over and over again to hear stories about what he did during WW2. He was in the Navy and very proud of his role in the South Pacific; it didn't take much to get the stories out of him. COH created an obsession for teaching myself the history of WW2 that hasn't died since I started playing the game. I'm still totally fascinated with WW2 and I credit the motivation I found to teach myself what I did to this game. It will some day be a cult classic game if it isn't already.

The game play is excellent! The objective is to capture and control as many fuel, manpower and munitions points on the map as you can while kicking the snot out of your enemy; the more points you capture the more manpower, fuel and munitions you earn as income which you can use to purchase units, buildings and upgrades to help your army win the skirmish. Strategy is huge in this aspect of the game, tou can cut off your enemies' supply line by capturing key points thus earning you an income advantage. What parts of your territory you defend and how successfully you defend it and or how you advance and capture is crucial to success.

AI Enemies learn how to exploit your strategy and will try different things to defeat you if you play against the computer over and over again. Every time I reformat my hard drives and reinstall windows there is a noticeable difference in the AI's strategy; it's much easier to defeat the AI at first but over time it learns to put up a better fight and the game becomes harder to win. At the time COH Opposing fronts came out I began playing skirmish matches like I was training to compete vs the Hard AI computer in a gaming tournament. The Hard American AI became so familiar with my strategy during that time that I was actually looking forward to a reformat just to relieve some of the pressure the AI was putting on me.

Your infantry units can take cover behind map details, rock walls, bushes, trees, abandoned or destroyed vehicles are all different examples of cover. Different types of "cover" are rated one of four ways, a green shield is the best cover, a yellow shield is good cover, no shield is no or poor cover, and a red shield is negative cover, the shields will be displayed over your infantry depending on the type of cover or lack there of they are using. Cover greatly effect the survivability of your infantry units. When you make contact with an evenly matched enemy if your troops are in better cover your troops will win the melee. Most infantry units can be upgraded to carry a different weapon or tool. Weapon and tool upgrades are bought with munitions. Some infantry units have the ability to spend munitions to gain an advantage in battle in the form of a grenade or a panzerfaust.

With vehicles where you hit a vehicle can do more or less damage as well as what type of weapon you're using on the vehicle. If you use a machine gun or a rifle on a light vehicle you will do moderate damage, as the vehicles become heavier all the way up to a heavy tank the damage will become less and eventually do nothing when against tanks. Although having a tank is an advantage vs infantry they can be defeated by infantry units if the units are equipped with the tools to deal with the tanks. Most units can be upgraded with munitions.

In conclusion it's a great game buy it if you don't already own it.
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    Best RTS ever. Great multiplayer play as well as single player skirmish vs. the computer. The support for this game has gone down hill so if you plan on playing online ask the community how the game is being supported on steam(7/13). Worth it just for playing single player if you can get it cheap. There are replays on you tube.
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    This game Is an AMAZING game. I literally can wait for COH 2! The game play the sound affects are just insane Its very addictive and Its one of those games i could play for whole day maybe more non stop. AMAZING GAME! I recommend this too every gamer out there it never gets old even in 6 years
  21. May 21, 2013
    Brilliant, thrilling, exhausting and exhilarating, this must be the finest RTS out there.

Even the slow missions are excellent, and the fast ones, where you can't take your eyes off the screen for a second in case you miss the AI's tricks are quite incredible.
  22. May 9, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game that restored my faith in the gaming industry.
    Very balanced gameplay, every unit has its purpose and none are completely useless. "Battering-Ram"-tactics will get you completely destroyed and a lot of thought went into the tactical gameplay features.
    Presentation is solid and outdated graphics really don't hurt the overall enjoyment.
    I love the fact that you
    can employ actual strategies. There is no "works every time"-strategy or building order that will guarantee a win. You can accomplish most missions in a variety of ways.
    The entire game has only 3 weak spots imho:
    a) KI ist solid, but makes a few unnecesarry mistakes i.e. Anti-Tank weapons don't turn around when attacked from the back or sometimes infantry has the accuracy of Imperial Stormtroopers
    b) Depending on your system, loading times are pretty long
    c) A Pause-Function in Single-Player would have made the game a bit less stressful, since the AI can give multiple orders simultaneously which puts a human player at a disadvantage without a pause mode
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    Never has the RTS genre seen anything like this. Company of Heroes is rightfully, the highest rated game of its kind. And to this day, no other game in the likes holds a candle to its gameplay and tactical immersion. Every battle is something new and exciting, this is one of those games that never gets old.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    One of the best RTS of all time, still fun to play. The only downsides are lack of map and faction variety in the vanilla version. COH still holds up in 2013 and there hasn't been a game that's challenged its place at the top of the RTS world.
  25. Feb 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best RTS out there even today, it's totaly unique. It's so fun to play with friends, or even against random players. I would HIGHLY recomend this game to anybody looking for a great RTS game. Expand
  26. Jan 22, 2013
    *Best strategy and tactics game ever! I just bought this in Dec 2012 and have logged more than 200 hours on it. Strategy games are my main interest with computer games and I have played some great ones. Warrior Kings Battles had some epic combined-arms tactics with interesting terrain and base building. Starcraft was OK for its time but was very limited and led to mono-tactics. CoH, and its fine expansion-packs, have set the bar so high that no game has been able to surpass it. The single player game is a fine tutorial and it has high production values and a logical progression. However, the game was designed around the PvP match, and it is very well thought out. There is an amazing variety of tactical options available with three distinct disciplines to choose from within each faction. (4 factions if you have both the expansions) Even still you will find that every player has a unique style that can be seen in their play. The game is about figuring out what your opponent is up to then foiling their plans. This does not boil down to 'this unit beats that unit' like so many other games. With CoH the player can react on the fly, fake out & misdirect, apply their 'brilliant plan' or devise a counter strategy when needed. Anything you can imagine can be attempted. *Many of the so-called 'bugs' are actually signs of extensive testing and debate by the studio. If your AT gun won't face to counter attack it is because you told him to guard the road. This is the army...units are supposed to follow orders, not decide what they feel like doing. Reacting to their pleas for refacing is your job...it's called micro. *The PvP has very little trash-talking compared to shooter games and there is an active community. Automatches will find you an opponent that is at the same level as you and game-play avoids abusive base-rushes and snowballing. Battles will often go back and forth leaving victory up for grabs until the very end. Solid design. Huge detail. The voice acting is great with accents and period-specific & regionally accurate colloquialisms. (Canadian soldiers with authentic Quebecois and Newfie accents.) Oh, and almost every significant unit type from WW2 is beautifully modeled with the actual abilities associated with them. The statistics for the weapon systems are modeled with amazing accuracy only being altered to maintain balance in the game. ( War is never fair but games should be). Matches can also be recorded and there are many shoutcasts for CoH playbacks with commentary available on the net. Company of Heroes is a must have for all strategy and tactics players. Expand
  27. Jan 6, 2013
    I haven't played a war strategy game this good since C and C. If you want immerse yourself in the heat of all out war then this game delivers. Great fun, both playing the campaign or pitting your whits against people on line. Cant wait for the next one. Already pre ordered. The expansions don't really bring much more to the game other than extra teams. Still an excellent Game though. Buy it and try it. Collapse
  28. Dec 10, 2012
    Just started playing, as a certain magazine provided its readers with a free steam code - thanks! I've got dishonoured, far cry 3 and assassin's creed 3 sitting in their boxes unwrapped, as I've been immersed in these strategic/tactical, yet also action-packed campaigns (if you include Opposing Fronts expansion). I was worried that the slightly dated graphics and cut scenes would put me off. This game really stands the test of time. The only other war RTS I bought this year as Wargame: European Escalation, but COH literally is a far, far more fun game to play. Will be eagerly awaiting the sequel. My only criticism, is the population cap limit - I understand the reasoning behind it, but it would be nice to have truly massive and epic battles. Expand
  29. Dec 6, 2012
    Best. Game. Ever Really, i've played it for 98 hours in total. you MUST try it out. And if you have doubts, you'll be surprised
  30. Nov 23, 2012
    Simply the best RTS ever made, can't wait for COH2. Graphics are still amazing after 6 years, the gameplay is so great and overall it's the deepest RTS ever made with a fast paced gameplay :)
  31. Jan 6, 2013

1. Company of Heroes should be on the must-play list of every RTS fanatic out there, even those tired of WWII settings. It's just that good. [Oct. 2006, p.70]
  2. This is the finest WWII strategy game I've played. Hell, I'm having real trouble thinking of any strategy game that's this spectacular, this intense, this fun. [Oct 2006, p.70]
    The transformation from a idyllic little town into a heap of crushed buildings and burned out husks of vehicles can be shocking. Seeing and hearing major explosions that cause bodies (and bits of bodies) to fly across the screen along with rubble from a nearby building simply puts you more into the battle than any RTS in memory.