7.7

1. Nov 27, 2013
    Double Fine Dose it again! With a funny creative innovate new game! The combat is really fun and the costumes are amazing also with the graphs and jokes! I recommend getting this for halloween (And Christmas) With the Christmas update its amazing
  2. Jan 18, 2012
    Double fine has done it again! "Costume Quest" is a creative and adorable Halloween themed adventure game that carefully combines turn-based battles with small RPG elements. It's filled with little morsels of in-jokes, clever dialogue and some truly imaginative visuals. CQ is a unique game that brings back the days of trick-or-treating with the wonder of being something greater the oneDouble fine has done it again! "Costume Quest" is a creative and adorable Halloween themed adventure game that carefully combines turn-based battles with small RPG elements. It's filled with little morsels of in-jokes, clever dialogue and some truly imaginative visuals. CQ is a unique game that brings back the days of trick-or-treating with the wonder of being something greater the one day of the year where costumes bring out the adventurer in all of us. There are a few issues I had with the repetitiveness of the battles but it is so minor compared to the game as a whole. The characters are sweet and brave and their costumes are colorful and reminiscent of home-made costume making. There are two full quests in the game and plenty of achievements to forage for. If you have a need for fun with a Halloween theme you can't do any better than Costume Quest! Expand
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    Very nice; a sort of Halloween Zelda mishmash-ed with Final Fantasy but still unique. Very entertaining! You just get caught playing and hours are disappearing with you realizing.
  4. Dec 8, 2011
    It's pretty good, not fantastic. Downsides: A bit too short (did it in 4 hours) and the gameplay is a little dull. But the music, atmosphere, graphics, story and script make up for it. I'd recommend this game to just about anyone.
  5. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a really original and great game that is a bit too short and repetitive to be perfect. Finished the main campaign in four hours (haven't played the DLC yet), but loved every minute of it. My advice is buy it, but if you are uncomfortable with the current full price for a short game, pick it up during a sale. You'll most likely not regret it
  6. Feb 6, 2012
    It's a unique game that is good for all ages with a lot of wry humor that doesn't go past the limit of good taste. It's not perfect as the combat is very linear and repetitive and doesn't offer much of a challenge until the very end. I didn't find it to be too short as it took me about six to seven hours to complete the quests and collect all the cards. It's a great game if you need aIt's a unique game that is good for all ages with a lot of wry humor that doesn't go past the limit of good taste. It's not perfect as the combat is very linear and repetitive and doesn't offer much of a challenge until the very end. I didn't find it to be too short as it took me about six to seven hours to complete the quests and collect all the cards. It's a great game if you need a break from more serious games or are short on time and just want something light that you can pick up on a whim and play for a bit. Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    If you would have asked me if it was possible to turn trick-or-treating into a fun video game, I would have laughed. But after playing Costume Quest, I'm simply left in awe. It is so clever, witty, and charming--a perfect game for kids or just the kid in you. The look, feel and gameplay is somewhat similar to On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness. There's a lot of thought that went intoIf you would have asked me if it was possible to turn trick-or-treating into a fun video game, I would have laughed. But after playing Costume Quest, I'm simply left in awe. It is so clever, witty, and charming--a perfect game for kids or just the kid in you. The look, feel and gameplay is somewhat similar to On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness. There's a lot of thought that went into the costumes, quests, battle stamps, and the special attacks. I challenge all doubters to say they can't find an enjoyable game in here. Two thumbs up. Expand
  8. Jun 21, 2013
    Not the type of game I usually play but it came in Amazon's Double Fine Bundle and I gave it a go. Was very impressed despite the cartoon graphics and weird story. Controls & combat are simple and straight forward but the abundance of costumes adds a lot of variety. Definitely has some good humor and is still safe for kids.

Highly recommend using a controller but it has to be Xinput or

Highly recommend using a controller but it has to be Xinput or you need to use x360ce. Very short, 6 1/2 hours to beat game DLC but the length just kind of feels right for the game.
  9. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is a console style RPG that that really delivers a different experience while still being in the general terms of that genre. It has a very unique battle system that is a marvel at first but becomes the game's only downside later on, when the repetitiveness just sinks in. Why an 8 then, you might wonder? Well, the game's atmosphere, design and writing more than make up for that.This game is a console style RPG that that really delivers a different experience while still being in the general terms of that genre. It has a very unique battle system that is a marvel at first but becomes the game's only downside later on, when the repetitiveness just sinks in. Why an 8 then, you might wonder? Well, the game's atmosphere, design and writing more than make up for that. Also, the music is good. No voice overs, though. So, if you're illiterate, you shouldn't play this game. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2012
    A fun game, but the combat can get repetitive after a while.. that's where the combination of different costumes make the game fun again, can't wait the next release.
  11. May 12, 2013
    Really well done, the game has a unique charm!
    The gameplay may be a little slow and lack of depth, but considering the game's duration is nice. The different costumes and their skills are enough.
    The dialogs and characters personality are the best for me.
  12. Aug 12, 2013
    Good and creative game. I personally enjoying Double Fine games because they have some good childish craziness. And this one is not an exception.
    But I remove one point because game is too simple and actually you don't need some powers in combat.
  13. Aug 6, 2012
    Very enjoyable, lovely idea with adorable graphics and gameplay. The concept of collecting pieces for new costumes is awesome. The game has a few minor issues though. The controls are sometimes annoying, the battles don't offer too much in terms of strategy and can get slightly boring. The game also seems pretty short. However it is a very enjoyable experience.
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    Adorable story, cute characters and story. This game is brilliant just needs expansions for yearly holidays IMO that should be patched in. The only problem I could ever have with the game is it's semi short. (4hrs for a quick run though 1-2 more if you hunt for everything. But hey, it comes with the expansion on steam which is about another 2-3hrs.)
  15. Dec 27, 2012
    Costume Quest is easy on the eyes, witty and very full of life. The music and graphics both pop, the game fits together very well and overall just feels "right". There's enough variety in the game play to keep it fresh, but there are sections where you seem to be going from battle to battle, which really brings out the repetitive nature of the combat.. There were two specific moments inCostume Quest is easy on the eyes, witty and very full of life. The music and graphics both pop, the game fits together very well and overall just feels "right". There's enough variety in the game play to keep it fresh, but there are sections where you seem to be going from battle to battle, which really brings out the repetitive nature of the combat.. There were two specific moments in the game where I couldn't progress any further simply because I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go., however, that may have just been me. All in all a fun game that's worth your time. Expand
  16. ave
    Apr 9, 2015
    One really great achievement of Costume Quest is the combination of childhood fantasy stories filled with knights, robots, pirates and such ; the classical gameplay of japanese adventure rpg and the whole spiced-up with humor.

Sure the game might seem short for a grown-up, even too easy or too linear, but that's the kind of game I'd have loved to play when I was a child and one of the most enjoyable I've played recently. Costume Quest was so refreshing after a trail of damn-too-serious or damn-too-hard-core games, I just can't wait to play the second one !

Thanks Double Fine !
  17. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is just another complete rip-off of angry birds. The game itself is exactly the same except the graphics quality is much lower and the gameplay is significantly less user friendly.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Creativity-infused cartoon combat blends perfectly with trick-or-treating nostalgia to give this humorous little download some tremendous pull.
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    The decision to make a season-specific game deserves recognition, even if the gameplay and script might lack the imagination required by my favorite holiday.