8.3

1. Apr 26, 2013
    Cry of Fear was an audacious Half-Life 1 mod that turned into a full fledged game for release on Steam about a year after the release. In short, this game is great. This game contains a gripping story of a young man named Simon who is lost in himself and struggling to survive when monsters appear. Cry of Fear contains a single player campaign that claims to take about eight hours time,Cry of Fear was an audacious Half-Life 1 mod that turned into a full fledged game for release on Steam about a year after the release. In short, this game is great. This game contains a gripping story of a young man named Simon who is lost in himself and struggling to survive when monsters appear. Cry of Fear contains a single player campaign that claims to take about eight hours time, but for my first playthrough I was about 12-16 hours of gametime. The gameplay is like most survival horror games, but you are limited, you don't have a briefcase like Resident Evil 4. you do have a backpack and your pockets but you cannot carry everything, forcing you to make sacrifices on what you want to carry and what you NEED to carry, this aspect helps produce more tension when trying to figure out, should I keep this gun even though I have one clip? Or take the melee weapon and key and continue on? The controls work well, and it's not clunky or difficult, except one section of the game which required platforming and was my sole problem with the game.

Cry of Fear's atmosphere is great, the dark corridors, the creepy forests to a tight packed school, the environments are varied and have a great way of getting you in the mood and into the game. Another aspect of the atmosphere in sound, Cry of Fear has not only a wonderful soundtrack with scary, dark tracks to beautiful melodies, but the sound in the game. Whether they are foot steps around the corner edging closer or bumping on the walls or a scream in the distance, Cry of Fear definitely full fills the scare factor.

On the topic of features, Cry of Fear has a good lengthed single player campaign, not like a Slender game that takes about 20-40 minutes, this game takes hours. There is also another secret campaign after beating the first, then a completely separate co-op campaign, and multiple custom campaigns along with a custom campaign and map creator that is intuitive and easy to use. Not to mention Cry of Fear's "Suicide Mode" which is basically survival, you kill enemies to decrease the amount of time on the clock to reach zero and survive, it's difficult, but fun and you can do it with friends.

All in all, Cry of Fear is an amazing package, you get so much content and a wondrous game that was made very well for such a small team, Team Psykskallar did a great job, and did I mention this game is absolutely free on Steam? Go play and have fun! 9/10
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    Cry of Fear is a horror game developed by Team Psykskallar. It has a good storyline. Good game mechanics .The atmosphere is dense. The jumpscares were there at the right time. I like the sound effects and the music. About 8-10 hours of gameplay. Good replay value .I find that some of the monsters get quite annoying later in the game. The graphics doesn't stand up to todays standards, butCry of Fear is a horror game developed by Team Psykskallar. It has a good storyline. Good game mechanics .The atmosphere is dense. The jumpscares were there at the right time. I like the sound effects and the music. About 8-10 hours of gameplay. Good replay value .I find that some of the monsters get quite annoying later in the game. The graphics doesn't stand up to todays standards, but that is easily forgotten. It's one of those horror games that you will remember for quite some time. IT'S ALSO FREE ON STEAM! Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Not a bad game, really scary at some points. Graphics and game-play could have been a bit smoother, but other than that this is pretty fun. I would recommend you download it, its FREE why not.
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best horror mods I've ever played. Old-school style horror elements meet fluent new era gameplay to create a quite unique horror experience.
    Great atmosphere? Check!
    Limited inventory and scarce ammo? Check! Good duration? Check! Free? CHECK! Even though it's great, it has some big flaws. The first one is its plot. Let just say it wouldn't win a contest for little
    Great atmosphere? Check!
    Limited inventory and scarce ammo? Check!
    Good duration? Check!
    Free? CHECK!

Even though it's great, it has some big flaws. The first one is its plot. Let just say it wouldn't win a contest for little children. The second and last one is that some enemy looks are nonsensical. You'll know what I mean after playing it for yourself.
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    Free games already gain a huge score for that purpose, but few free games have such an original and thrilling game as Cry of Fear. It was made as a psychological horror game, based of the Source Engine and by god; is it fantastic. The atmosphere, pacing and scares of this game are better than some of the recent entries in AAA horror games like Silent Hill Downpour or FEAR 3. If you can,Free games already gain a huge score for that purpose, but few free games have such an original and thrilling game as Cry of Fear. It was made as a psychological horror game, based of the Source Engine and by god; is it fantastic. The atmosphere, pacing and scares of this game are better than some of the recent entries in AAA horror games like Silent Hill Downpour or FEAR 3. If you can, purchase Cry of Fear and you won't regret it; apart from wetting yourself. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2014
    I remember buying Half-life just so I could play this mod (but now its a free standalone). Amazing graphics (for half life), amazing story, amazing endings, amazing setting and good gameplay. Also, it's how I got my username! Polisbil and Kaniner.
  7. May 11, 2013
    Absolutely terrifying. There were actually a few instances where I actually panicked & knocked over my monitor. The atmosphere in Cry of fear is what scares me most, it is so well done. The voice acting is decent, but I think Simon's voice could have used a bit of work. Overall though, this game really kicks ass!
  8. Jul 1, 2013
    A real surprise, I tried it just by the word "free", but I found a game done with pure heart, specially knowing the limitations that the developers faced creating it. The atmosphere is great, even when there are some "cheap" scares here and there, However, there are some minor issues with the quality of the animations and some models, but I think fans of games like Silent Hill or penumbraA real surprise, I tried it just by the word "free", but I found a game done with pure heart, specially knowing the limitations that the developers faced creating it. The atmosphere is great, even when there are some "cheap" scares here and there, However, there are some minor issues with the quality of the animations and some models, but I think fans of games like Silent Hill or penumbra will be pleased. Expand
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    Cry of fear is a terrifying yet still beautiful masterpiece. The atmosphere is perfect. The story is good (and sad at some point) It has some really beautiful moments (even for game with such a bad graphic) Cry of fear is more than a horror game... Its an art game. The only negative thing about the game is the high amount of bugs.

but all in all... Cry of fear is an amazing piece of

but all in all... Cry of fear is an amazing piece of art. GO PLAY IT NOW!
  10. May 20, 2013
    I have only played the co-operative game which is supposedly entirely different from the single player campaign. Given the co-operative campaign's extremely poor design, I did not bother playing the single player campaign.

The general atmosphere of the game is excellent, the fire arms are interesting and the monsters are simplistic yet spooky. Unfortunately, the map design was done by someone who had absolutely no experience creating co-operative maps (or any type of map for that matter). Invisible walls everywhere and completely illogical obstacles and locations mar what would otherwise be an exciting multiplayer title.

However, the map design isn't entirely to blame. The game's interface is outdated, unwieldy and the way death is handled in this game is nothing short of annoying during multiplayer. Yes you can revive your teammates but if you somehow can't, their only option to respawn and lose their entire inventory.

The inventory management is beyond ridiculous, why does the player have to manually assign buttons to each and every object every time the map is changed? Why are there no warning signs before leaving an area?

There seem to be some other maps but they are a sort of "survival" game-mode that has no been done better in other games and adds no appeal to the game whatsoever. Nor does it make up for its blatant shortcomings.

I am not sure why they decided to develop the game using the Half-life 1 engine. It looks and plays like a game from the 90's. Was there no way to port the assets to Half-life 2? Although the graphics do not distract from the atmosphere, which is actually quite good, the game will probably not appeal to a very broad audience because of a severe lack of eye candy.

On top of that, you can only connect to a server through using the commandline as the game browser does not seem to function.

Cry of Fear has some good ideas but I couldn't recommend it in its current state.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    Absolutely moronic "horror" game. Unless you're the kind of person that gets afraid when things get dark, and then suddenly you see a goofy face and hear a loud scream, then this isn't for you. That's all this game can muster in the "scares" department.

It's an HL1 mod rereleased, and it shows its age. Not much has been done to it, not even enough to get co-op working correctly. Zero

Zero effort, zero scares, zero entertainment. Skip on this.
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    One of the scariest game I ever played. The atmosphere is stressful, the monsters are creepy. If you liked Amnesia, there is a good chance you will like this game. I cant believe this game is free! On a less positive note, it can be hard to find your way sometimes, the level design has some flaws and the platform part can be very frustrating. But this don't affect the general experience ofOne of the scariest game I ever played. The atmosphere is stressful, the monsters are creepy. If you liked Amnesia, there is a good chance you will like this game. I cant believe this game is free! On a less positive note, it can be hard to find your way sometimes, the level design has some flaws and the platform part can be very frustrating. But this don't affect the general experience of this brilliant game (as long as you play it in the dark with headphones on of course). The devs did an amazing work. Expand
  13. Jul 21, 2013
    The first "campaign mission" had already a bug, that prevented me from playing the campagin any further,....
    So I was hoping for the multiplayer, found no opponents.
    So I was hoping for the multiplayer, found no opponents.
    That leaves the events. Tried the halloween event. It left me entirely unimpressed, I walk an entire school with most of the doors closed except for 2. To see a zombie with an axe and when I shoot all my bullets on him, he kills me with his axe.

I didn't download this game to see that most things didn't work
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game "Cry of Fear" is the worst game. I cannot understand what I do. When starting game, I have a camera, and I am in darkness suddenly. It is all. So, it is not interesting. I cannot confirm it as a game. So I grade 0 point to it.

Additionally, there are many malfunctions in this game. For example, dark gray sentences in black background are hard to read.
  15. May 28, 2014
    Fantastic for a Half-Life 1 mod.
    .....................................................................................................................
  16. Apr 12, 2014
    Cry of Fear is a Half-life 1 mod made into a full game and put on steam via greenlight. Do not let the graphics of this game fool you, This game will have your heart racing before you even encounter the first enemy. It uses ambiance to put the player on edge perfectly. If you prefer to have something jump out at you and make you scream like a little girl this game also has many jumpCry of Fear is a Half-life 1 mod made into a full game and put on steam via greenlight. Do not let the graphics of this game fool you, This game will have your heart racing before you even encounter the first enemy. It uses ambiance to put the player on edge perfectly. If you prefer to have something jump out at you and make you scream like a little girl this game also has many jump scares. Its difficult enough to keep the player interested, but not so hard it makes you want to rip your hair out. This game also features a Coop campaign that allows up to 4 players, while shorter than the main story line the fear factor is still there. If your into story this game does have a good story line, enough to keep the player interested in how the story will proceed, but doesn't bore the player with it either. Being free this game is well worth the money if your feeling a bit too safe about walking in the hallways of your own house. Expand
  17. Jul 19, 2013
    Cry of Fear is one of the best horror games i've ever played!The scenario is amazing,the atmosphere of the game makes you scared,the audio is creepy,but the graphics are bad.The Team Psykskallar did a great job and i love the game.
  18. Aug 13, 2013
    Cry of Fear is a modification for Half-Life 1, and receives the highest praise I can give to a horror game. It is absolutely horrifying. Play this in the dark with headphones and you will scream, I guarantee. The story is light, but not bad; the game has a good length of about 8-10 hours on the easiest difficulty, and MUCH longer on the harder difficulties. The shooting is fun, but nothingCry of Fear is a modification for Half-Life 1, and receives the highest praise I can give to a horror game. It is absolutely horrifying. Play this in the dark with headphones and you will scream, I guarantee. The story is light, but not bad; the game has a good length of about 8-10 hours on the easiest difficulty, and MUCH longer on the harder difficulties. The shooting is fun, but nothing spectacular... but that is a small complaint to make. The only major problems I could find with the game is 1. The graphics are dated...but you can hardly judge it for that since it is only a mod. 2nd and final; is the inventory system is a little confusing, but these are only a few issues in an otherwise horrifying and excellent mod! Expand
  19. Aug 23, 2014
    CoF is scary and is an improvement from previous mod Afraid of Monsters with two of the developers being part of this team. There are many original enemies and it used the GoldSrc engine from HL1 in a good way with different mechanics and movement. Levels are original and you fight many bosses. There are also co-op and an alternate story mode with more endings, counting a total of 6CoF is scary and is an improvement from previous mod Afraid of Monsters with two of the developers being part of this team. There are many original enemies and it used the GoldSrc engine from HL1 in a good way with different mechanics and movement. Levels are original and you fight many bosses. There are also co-op and an alternate story mode with more endings, counting a total of 6 endings (4 from original single player and 2 from these other modes). Expand
  20. Jul 27, 2014
    You will be dreaming nightmare's for 3 week's originally a horror mod for Half Life 1 it became a game in and of itself the game take's place in sweden's main city Stockholm during a zombie apocalypse. The game has multiplayer too (your **** lucky hamachi user's) for those not using hamachi it will take forever to find a server it deserve's a Beautiful 8/10 it's not my favorite game butYou will be dreaming nightmare's for 3 week's originally a horror mod for Half Life 1 it became a game in and of itself the game take's place in sweden's main city Stockholm during a zombie apocalypse. The game has multiplayer too (your **** lucky hamachi user's) for those not using hamachi it will take forever to find a server it deserve's a Beautiful 8/10 it's not my favorite game but it's atleast fun Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2014
    One of the best horror games ive ever played. The atmosphere and jumpscares had me far more scared than any other game. It's simply brilliant, even with a very simple story and a very outdated engine, Cry of Fear really had me feel the meaning of horror and that production does not have to have super high value to make a fantastic game, also features 10+ hours of gameplay and the endingsOne of the best horror games ive ever played. The atmosphere and jumpscares had me far more scared than any other game. It's simply brilliant, even with a very simple story and a very outdated engine, Cry of Fear really had me feel the meaning of horror and that production does not have to have super high value to make a fantastic game, also features 10+ hours of gameplay and the endings were brilliant. Expand
  22. Oct 15, 2014
    i thin its great i have yet to beat it but i just got it and i got scared it had some bugs and i kept getting stuck but iknow they can fix it...still 10/10
  23. Nov 3, 2014
    The game have different gameplay and different things that make this a good horror game, jumpscares, tension, good combat, this is a really horror good game with things that make this different
  24. Nov 12, 2014
    An amazing work of art, Cry of Fear is an atmospheric horror game that will leave you on the edge of your seat. It provides fun and satisfaction at well-structured intervals, occasional puzzles to work the brain, plenty of secrets to search for and discover, all packed with first-person shooting action to break the silence. It has a very high replay value, on top of all the included maps,An amazing work of art, Cry of Fear is an atmospheric horror game that will leave you on the edge of your seat. It provides fun and satisfaction at well-structured intervals, occasional puzzles to work the brain, plenty of secrets to search for and discover, all packed with first-person shooting action to break the silence. It has a very high replay value, on top of all the included maps, which also include a number of Co-op maps to experience the horror with your friends. Although it may seem challenging, outdated, slow, and annoying at times, I advise that newer users push through-Cry of Fear makes up for all of it with an intriguing story that leaves you wanting to come back once you're in far enough, and interesting mechanics that pique the curiosity. It really challenges your inventory management skill for a survival-horror game, and, overall, provides an extremely well-rounded experience to hopefully be remembered for another generation.

4.5/5

There are no critic reviews yet.